SCO 5.0.5/5.0.6 bios clock, time zone and synching

Hi All,

Does SCO expect the BIOS clock to be set to UTC?

Ive got a few SCO boxen spread across a couple of time zones and at
the moment, the bios clocks in the servers are set to localtime not
UTC.
The timezone settings in SCO Admin are also wrong.

I was under the impression *nix always expects the BIOS clock to be
set to UTC and then the timezone settings in SCO tell the OS what the
local time is.
This does not seem to be the case for me.
On a testing box, Ive set the BIOS clock to UTC, set the correct
timezone in scoadmin but the date command in a root shell still gives
the wrong time.

Either the timezone information in scoadmin for my timezone is wrong
and I need to set up an unlisted timezone (which I can do easily
enough) or im missing something more fundamental here.

Anyone care to wield a clue-bat?

cheers
0
atarts (5)

John Smith wrote:

> Does SCO expect the BIOS clock to be set to UTC?
>
> Ive got a few SCO boxen spread across a couple of time zones and at
> the moment, the bios clocks in the servers are set to localtime not
> UTC.
> The timezone settings in SCO Admin are also wrong.
>
> I was under the impression *nix always expects the BIOS clock to be
> set to UTC and then the timezone settings in SCO tell the OS what the
> local time is.
> This does not seem to be the case for me.
> On a testing box, Ive set the BIOS clock to UTC, set the correct
> timezone in scoadmin but the date command in a root shell still gives
> the wrong time.
>
> Either the timezone information in scoadmin for my timezone is wrong
> and I need to set up an unlisted timezone (which I can do easily
> enough) or im missing something more fundamental here.
>
> Anyone care to wield a clue-bat?

Yes: you left out all numeric values.  You say the timezone was wrong
with the BIOS clock set to localtime, and it was wrong with the BIOS
clock set to UTC.  So OK, it's always wrong -- by what offset?  Show
actual examples (and don't make them up, capture real values from actual
problematic systems).

I think in 506 it actually tries to tell whether the BIOS is in UTC or
localtime.  Earlier releases probably did always expect UTC.

Regardless of the BIOS, once Unix is up and running, it keeps UTC time
internally.  Anything that asks "what time is it?", whether in the
kernel or a user program, gets its answer in UTC.  User processes have
by convention an environment variable, $TZ, that tells them what the
_user_ expects to see.  Two users logged into the same system, ssh'd
from Poland and Tonga, will have set their $TZ differently.  As long as
the kernel's UTC reference time is correct, when those users ask to see
a time, it will be correct for their local timezone.

Your statement "The timezone settings in SCO Admin are also wrong." is
especially unclear.  SCOAdmin has many tentacles; tell exactly what
you've invoked.  Is it `scoadmin system time manager`?  Then, how is it
wrong?  It pretty much just does what you tell it to do.  If you specify
a timezone in that scoadmin module, that's the timezone you should get
by default on subsequent logins.  It writes the setting into
/etc/TIMEZONE, which is processed by user login scripts; this sets the
system-wide default timezone, used by daemons and by users who don't
explicitly override it.

>Bela<
0
belal (357)
7/30/2003 8:06:25 AM
John Smith wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Does SCO expect the BIOS clock to be set to UTC?
>
> Ive got a few SCO boxen spread across a couple of time zones and at
> the moment, the bios clocks in the servers are set to localtime not
> UTC.
> The timezone settings in SCO Admin are also wrong.
>
> I was under the impression *nix always expects the BIOS clock to be
> set to UTC and then the timezone settings in SCO tell the OS what the
> local time is.
> This does not seem to be the case for me.
> On a testing box, Ive set the BIOS clock to UTC, set the correct
> timezone in scoadmin but the date command in a root shell still gives
> the wrong time.
>
> Either the timezone information in scoadmin for my timezone is wrong
> and I need to set up an unlisted timezone (which I can do easily
> enough) or im missing something more fundamental here.
>
> Anyone care to wield a clue-bat?
>
> cheers

Some interesting background on PC BIOS RTC.

http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/mswish/ut-rtc.html

Mike

--
Michael Brown

The Kingsway Group
0
mike5285 (230)
7/30/2003 12:29:10 PM
In article <8512fc7a.0307292304.70bfe523@posting.google.com>,
John Smith <atarts@hotmail.com> wrote:
>Does SCO expect the BIOS clock to be set to UTC?

No.  All versions of SCO OpenServer and the OSes that led up to it (including
all versions of SCO XENIX) expect the RTC (what you're calling the BIOS clock)
to be set to the time in the local timezone.  This practice has some
unfortunate aspects to it; it was selected despite that because we expect
administrators to set the RTC to the current local time using the BIOS, since
that's what they do for other OSes.

>Ive got a few SCO boxen spread across a couple of time zones and at
>the moment, the bios clocks in the servers are set to localtime not
>UTC.
>The timezone settings in SCO Admin are also wrong.
>
>I was under the impression *nix always expects the BIOS clock to be
>set to UTC and then the timezone settings in SCO tell the OS what the
>local time is.

No.  The OS itself keeps time in UTC.  The timezone information is used to
convert from that to local time, but it is *also* used in an inverse sense to
convert the time as read from the RTC into UTC so that the OS clock can be
synchronized to it.

>This does not seem to be the case for me.
>On a testing box, Ive set the BIOS clock to UTC, set the correct
>timezone in scoadmin but the date command in a root shell still gives
>the wrong time.

This fails because the OS is assuming that the RTC is set to local time, so
when it applies the timezone information to it to get UTC it produces an
incorrect result.

As of 5.0.7, the information that is actually used to convert between RTC time
and UTC is cached in the file /etc/rtc.data.  It's stored there when the RTC is
set and is pushed down into the kernel at boot time to allow conversion from
RTC time to UTC.  This avoids a problem with machines that are down during a
DST transition, and problems that occur when the timezone is changed.  You
shouldn't go modifying that file since it's maintained automatically by setclk.

It might be useful to provide a means for a system administrator to specify the
RTC/UTC delta instead of locking this to TZ, mainly to allow the RTC to be set
to UTC for those systems that are administrated in such a way that there is no
danger of an admin setting the RTC to local time through the BIOS.

	John
--
John DuBois  spcecdt@armory.com  KC6QKZ/AE  http://www.armory.com/~spcecdt/
0
Bela Lubkin <belal@sco.com> wrote in message news:<20030730080625.GO24551@sco.com>...

> Yes: you left out all numeric values.  You say the timezone was wrong
> with the BIOS clock set to localtime, and it was wrong with the BIOS
> clock set to UTC.  So OK, it's always wrong -- by what offset?  Show
> actual examples (and don't make them up, capture real values from actual
> problematic systems).

I really should have indicated in my original post that im just
looking for some pointers on do's/don'ts for for SCO and clock
settings etc.
Im not going to get drastically specific yet until ive completed my
testing here.
When I have all the specific numbers/values etc i'll post them here.
Should be later today.

cheers
0
atarts (5)
7/30/2003 11:22:07 PM
"John DuBois" <spcecdt@deeptht.armory.com> wrote in message
> In article <8512fc7a.0307292304.70bfe523@posting.google.com>,
> John Smith <atarts@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >Does SCO expect the BIOS clock to be set to UTC?
>
> No.  All versions of SCO OpenServer and the OSes that led up to it
(including
> all versions of SCO XENIX) expect the RTC (what you're calling the BIOS
clock)
> to be set to the time in the local timezone.  This practice has some
> unfortunate aspects to it; it was selected despite that because we expect
> administrators to set the RTC to the current local time using the BIOS,
since
> that's what they do for other OSes.

Okay, I set the RTC to localtime, set up the local timezone correct using
'tz' so I could put in the DST info etc.
All good. Clocks are correct and when NTP polls our time server it gets the
right time.

Happy Happy Joy Joy.

Tomorrow i'll test the DST change overs and see if they work as they should.

Thanks for everyones help on this one.

0
atarts (5)

NFS SCo 5.0.5 with SCO 6.0.0
Hi everybody, I have a folder on SCO 5.0.5 server shared through NFS with a new SCO 6.0.0 with MP2 server (converted from a SCO 5.0.6 version). Before conversion file locks (over network) on this folder works well (eg from server SCO 5.0.6 I was able to see locks generated from SCO 5.0.5 box and viceversa), now with SCO 6.0.0 does not work ! I see that on SCO 6.0.0 the lockd daemon is active .. so it should work ... Please can you help me ? Thanks Cuffiette ...

Looking for precompiled 'rsync" for SCO 5.0.5, 5.0.6 and 5.0.7
I was recommended to use 'rsync' for multi-site transfers. But I have come to find that "rsync" does not exist already in OpenServer 5.0.5, 5.0.6 and 5.0.7. You can only get the "source" files which you "must" compile in order to create the "rsync." These seems to require that you compile these on every level of OpenServer you need. Where / how can I get the 'rsync' binaries already compiled for the levels I need? smlunatick typed (on Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 11:10:53AM -0700): | I was recommended to use 'rsync' for multi-site transfers. But I have | come to find that "rsync" does not exist already in OpenServer 5.0.5, | 5.0.6 and 5.0.7. You can only get the "source" files which you "must" | compile in order to create the "rsync." These seems to require that | you compile these on every level of OpenServer you need. | | Where / how can I get the 'rsync' binaries already compiled for the | levels I need? Get a binary for OSR 5.0.7, and with oss646c, it should run on 5.0.4, 5.0.5, and 5.0.6. Binary afavilable on Brian White's page at www.aljex.com/bkw. -- JP On Aug 18, 7:37=A0pm, Jean-Pierre Radley <j...@jpr.com> wrote: > smlunatick typed (on Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 11:10:53AM -0700): > | I was recommended to use 'rsync' for multi-site transfers. =A0But I hav= e > | come to find that "rsync" does not exist already in OpenSer...

Upgrading 5.0.5 to 5.0.6/5.0.7
Hi, I've inheirited 3 SCO Servers and need to upgrade one to 5.0.6 from 5.0.5. The other two are at 5.0.6 and I want them all in line. Some questions: 1. Does SCO charge for this upgrade? If so, how much? 2. How easy is the upgrade? 3. Should I go to 5.0.7 instead for all the machines? Thanks, Jon Jon Wynacht typed (on Thu, Sep 02, 2004 at 09:16:17AM -0700): | Hi, | | I've inheirited 3 SCO Servers and need to upgrade one to 5.0.6 from | 5.0.5. The other two are at 5.0.6 and I want them all in line. Some | questions: | | 1. Does SCO charge for this upgrade? If so, how much? >From 5.0.5 Enterprise to 5.0.7 Enterprise, $599. >From 5.0.6 Enterprise to 5.0.7 Enterprise, $369. | 2. How easy is the upgrade? Not hard; be sure to use ftp.jpr.com/pub/savefiles. | 3. Should I go to 5.0.7 instead for all the machines? Yes, and when you order the upgrades, also add in SCO Update, which will eventually bring you all the changes that bring you the Legend release. -- JP Jon Wynacht wrote: > Hi, > > I've inheirited 3 SCO Servers and need to upgrade one to 5.0.6 from > 5.0.5. The other two are at 5.0.6 and I want them all in line. Some > questions: > > 1. Does SCO charge for this upgrade? If so, how much? Of course. See http://aplawrence.com/scoprices.html > 2. How easy is the upgrade? Usually painless, but see http://aplawrence.com/Unixart/upgrades.html > 3. Should I go to 5.0.7 instead for all the machines? Yes, no questi...

Upgrade OSR 5.0.5 to 5.0.6 or 5.0.7
Hi all, I've two olds servers DELL Poweredge 2300 with Raid PERC, funtionning with OSR 5.0.5. Iwant upgrade the OS to 5.0.6 or 5.0.7 but it seems (sco.com) that the poweredge 2300 is bnot supported after OSR 5.0.5 (Hardware comptatibility). has somebody attempt this with success and which drivers (Raid PERC, Adaptec) are used. Thank you in advance fir the help. ----------------------------------------------------- Andre Georgel Email : andre.georgel@noos.fr "La perfection n'est pas lorsqu'il n'y a plus rien � ajouter, mais lorsque qu'il n'y a plus rien � enlever." "Perfection is not when there is nothing to add, but when there is nothing to remove." (A. de Saint Exupery) ------------------------------------------------------ On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 10:25:06 +0000, Andre Georgel <andre.georgel@mareduspam.com> wrote: >Hi all, > >I've two olds servers DELL Poweredge 2300 with Raid PERC, funtionning >with OSR 5.0.5. > >Iwant upgrade the OS to 5.0.6 or 5.0.7 but it seems (sco.com) that the >poweredge 2300 is bnot supported after OSR 5.0.5 (Hardware >comptatibility). > >has somebody attempt this with success and which drivers (Raid PERC, >Adaptec) are used. > >Thank you in advance fir the help. > >----------------------------------------------------- >Andre Georgel > >Email : andre.georgel@noos.fr > >"La perfection n'est pas lorsqu'il n'y a plus...

SCO 5.0.5 vs. 6.0
I'm having a new server built: SuperMicro P4SC8 Mother Board Intel P4 3.0Ghz 800 FSB 1GB CPU 73GB 10K 80 PIN SCSI Drive Sony 20/40GB DAT Drive SDT11000/BN DDS4 Adaptec 2010S Card for Mirroring Comtrol Rockport Card 99126-7 Is there any reason I should update my current version of SCO 5.0.5? Frank The following article is a recommendation from SCO when using P4 http://www.sco.com/ta/115963 "FrankS" <fshank@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message news:CqT_f.65026$H71.37215@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com... > I'm having a new server built: > > SuperMicro P4SC8 Mother Board > Intel P4 3.0Ghz 800 FSB 1GB CPU > 73GB 10K 80 PIN SCSI Drive > Sony 20/40GB DAT Drive SDT11000/BN DDS4 > > Adaptec 2010S Card for Mirroring > > Comtrol Rockport Card 99126-7 > > > > Is there any reason I should update my current version of SCO 5.0.5? > > > > Frank > > > > > > FrankS wrote: > I'm having a new server built: > > SuperMicro P4SC8 Mother Board > Intel P4 3.0Ghz 800 FSB 1GB CPU > 73GB 10K 80 PIN SCSI Drive > Sony 20/40GB DAT Drive SDT11000/BN DDS4 > > Adaptec 2010S Card for Mirroring > > Comtrol Rockport Card 99126-7 > > > > Is there any reason I should update my current version of SCO 5.0.5? Frank, OpenServer 5.0.5 is a retired product and is no longer generally supported by SCO. OpenServer 5.0.5 is not designed to work on P4 systems and y...

if time = 3 seconds, how do i set the values of the time steps 0,0.1,0.2,0.3,0.5,1.0,1.5,2.0,3.0,5.0 to -9999 from time =3 seconds
Hi &nbsp; I have 18 inputs (arrays) which contain certain statistics and if time&nbsp;&nbsp;= 3 seconds, set the values of time step 5.0 to -9999.0. &nbsp; I was wondering if there is an efficient way to do this without using a lot of case statements? &nbsp; Thank you. Hello AdrianT, it's not really clear to me what you want to do... I suspect: you have an array containing values and you want to output them with a fixed timing of 3 seconds: you should use a for loop autoindexing trough your array and sending the value to your indicator/output/whatever. Put a "wait for next multiple" into your for loop. Or do you want to have a minimum time delay of 3 seconds? Again use a for loop, get the time value and use a InRange&amp;Coerce with minimum set to 3 seconds... Or you should explain more precisely what you need... Hi Thanks for that. Let me explain. &nbsp; The time may vary. Let me give an example. if time&nbsp; = 2.1, I want to set the time step's &nbsp;3.0 and 5.0's values to -9999.0. if the time =0.1 seconds then I want to set 0.2,0.3, 0.5 etc values to -9999.0 etc .................................................................... &nbsp; Can you please help? Thank you. Hello TUDS, do you use different accounts/nicknames ? Well, that's easy, at least for a sorted array: Search for your time-value in the array (Threshold 1D array). Fill all elements from that index till the end with your "error...

Sco OpenServer upgrading 5.0.6 to 5.0.7
I need some help. I need to upgrade my Sco O.S.506 to 507 and told me that I need to reinstall all the operative system and not the upgrading of it. Is it true ? Thanks in advance and excuse me if before someone alredy answered this query but I do not find anything about this matter bye Roberto Pineapple typed (on Wed, Apr 07, 2004 at 01:39:46PM +0200): | I need some help. | I need to upgrade my Sco O.S.506 to 507 and told me that I need to reinstall | all the operative system and not the upgrading of it. | Is it true ? No. | Thanks in advance and excuse me if before someone alredy answered this query | but I do not find anything about this matter While In-Place Upgrades do now work considerably better than they did a few years ago, I *still* counsel against them. Use my savefiles script, make good backups, and then a fresh install. -- JP "Pineapple" <roberquaNO@SPAMvirgilio.it> wrote in message news:<c50pa5$vri$1@newsreader.mailgate.org>... > I need some help. > I need to upgrade my Sco O.S.506 to 507 and told me that I need to reinstall > all the operative system and not the upgrading of it. > Is it true ? > Thanks in advance and excuse me if before someone alredy answered this query > but I do not find anything about this matter > > bye > Roberto I had same problem, and I was unable to upgrade . Only fresh reinstall was Ok. Pineapple <roberquaNO@spamvirgilio.it> wrote: >I need some help. >I need to...

SYbase SQL & SCO OpenServer 5.0.4/5.0.5
Can somone help me with wich SQL versions runs on SCO OSR5.0.4 and SCO OSR 5.0.5? So your the customer SCO still has :-) Sorry.. Couldn't resist ! ASE 10.0.2 was certified on SCO OSR5.0.2 with OS patches SLS 422a, SLS 437a. It wasn't certified on anything higher. ASE 11.0.x was certified on 5.0.4, but nothing higher. Sybase doesn't support 10.x or 11.x any more ...

SCO Open Server 5.0.6 versus 5.0.4
Hi, Anybody can point me to info or can state if there is a performance improvement from running 5.0.6 versus 5.0.4. Application is database access centered. Regards, Marian news wrote: > Hi, > Anybody can point me to info or can state if there is a performance > improvement from running 5.0.6 versus 5.0.4. Application is database access > centered. I don't think you are going to get a useful answer. Let's assume that I could authoritatively say that 5.0.6 has performance related improvements over .4 in certain areas. I can't recall if it does or doesn't, but the release notes would surely mention any. But so what? What does that say about YOUR application? Do we know where its performance issuees are now? Nope. We could assume it's probably disk bound, because that's a pretty safe assumption most any time, but even if true, what have you done for better or worse in that regard already? Maybe this is an Oracle database and you have it running on a RAID 5 system. As that's usually going to be a bad idea, you could gain nothing even if 5.0.6 did otherwise provide features that would otherwise improve your lot. Maybe you have the whole thing improperly tuned. Maybe you have it so perfectly tuned that an upgrade would make it worse because everything is so critically balanced to what you have now.. There are plenty of good reasons to upgrade to 5.0.6/7. If that's what you are lookimg for (a reason to sell the idea to ...

Licensing question 5.0.4 - 5.0.6
We need to upgrade a backup server from 5.0.4 to 5.0.6 (same as live server). Our supplier told us that a base pack upgrade for 5.0.6 is not available and we would have to have 5.0.7. This version of Sco is not certified compatible with our server. Does anyone know if we can install 5.0.7 licences on 5.0.6? Also it feels like the supplier is telling stories to force us into buying a new server. Does anyone know if 5.0.6 base packs are available? Thanks for your help Regards BB p.s. anonymity preserved to prevent Spam. Bigbyte typed (on Tue, Sep 09, 2003 at 04:22:53PM +0100): | We need to upgrade a backup server from 5.0.4 to 5.0.6 (same as live | server). Our supplier told us that a base pack upgrade for 5.0.6 is not | available and we would have to have 5.0.7. This version of Sco is not | certified compatible with our server. Does anyone know if we can install | 5.0.7 licences on 5.0.6? No. But why would you want to? | Also it feels like the supplier is telling stories to force us into buying a | new server. Does anyone know if 5.0.6 base packs are available? What do you mean by a "base pack"? -- JP On Tue, 9 Sep 2003, Bigbyte wrote: > We need to upgrade a backup server from 5.0.4 to 5.0.6 (same as live > server). Our supplier told us that a base pack upgrade for 5.0.6 is not > available and we would have to have 5.0.7. This version of Sco is not > certified compatible with our server. Does anyone know if we can install > 5.0.7 licenc...

5.0.5: uname -a shows 5.0.6 ?!
Hello, where gets "uname -a" the 5.0.6 info ? uname -a: SCO_SV hostname 3.2 5.0.6 i386 uname -X: System = SCO_SV Node = hostname Release = 3.2v5.0.5 KernelID = 98/07/02 Machine = PentII(D) BusType = ISA Serial = 4FI018581 Users = 130-user OEM# = 0 Origin# = 1 NumCPU = 2 truss doesn't helps. Regards, S.Marquardt Stefan Marquardt wrote: > where gets "uname -a" the 5.0.6 info ? > uname -a: > > SCO_SV hostname 3.2 5.0.6 i386 > > uname -X: > > System = SCO_SV > Node = hostname > Release = 3.2v5.0.5 > KernelID = 98/07/02 > Machine = PentII(D) > BusType = ISA > Serial = 4FI018581 > Users = 130-user > OEM# = 0 > Origin# = 1 > NumCPU = 2 > > truss doesn't helps. `uname -a` uses the uname(S) system call; `uname -X` uses __scoinfo(S). You can see the respective structures by doing: # scodb scodb> d &utsname scodb> d &scoutsname scodb> q The structures are initialized in /etc/conf/pack.d/kernel/space.c. `uname -v` comes from VER, which is #defined in kernel/space.c; `uname -X` Release comes from SCORELEASE, which is #defined in /etc/conf/cf.d/version.h. You can see how the two could get out of sync. >Bela< ...

SCO OpenServer 5.0.4/5.0.5 New Daylight Savings dates
Has anyone yet come up with a solution on changing older SCO OpenServer 5.0.4 / 5.0.5 / 5.0.6 systems to accommodate the new daylight savings dates starting this year?? I have looked around at SCO's site and they have an update to install on 5.0.7 systems that also indicate you should install new libc, etc Anyone know how to fix this on older SCO OpenServer releases?? Thanks for any help Scott Ullmann Telespectrum sullmann@telespectrum.com scooter typed (on Mon, Jan 22, 2007 at 12:37:58PM -0800): | Has anyone yet come up with a solution on changing older SCO OpenServer | 5.0.4 / 5.0.5 / 5.0.6 systems to accommodate the new daylight savings | dates starting this year?? | | I have looked around at SCO's site and they have an update to install | on 5.0.7 systems that also indicate you should install new libc, etc | | Anyone know how to fix this on older SCO OpenServer releases?? I'm in the EST timezone, and so I would edit /etc/TIMEZONE from: TZ=EST5EDT to: TZ=EST5EDT,M3,2,0/2,M11,1,0/2 -- JP ==> http://www.frappr.com/cusm <== On Jan 22, 4:24 pm, Jean-Pierre Radley <j...@jpr.com> wrote: > scooter typed (on Mon, Jan 22, 2007 at 12:37:58PM -0800): > | Has anyone yet come up with a solution on changing older SCO OpenServer > | 5.0.4 / 5.0.5 / 5.0.6 systems to accommodate the new daylight savings > | dates starting this year?? > | > | I have looked around at SCO's site and they have an update to install > | on 5.0.7 ...

SCO OpenServe 6.0.0 Filesystem MUCH Faster Than 5.0.6
The speed of the SCO OpenServer 6.0.0 filesystem is quite noticeably faster than I enjoyed on OpenServer 5.0.6. How do I know? I donno, but it feels and seems so. I didn't expect this, so I didn't make these tests while still on 5.0.6, but I KNOW I have a lot more files and directories on 6.0.0 than I did on 5.0.6. The Verify of my Last Master Backup shows what is on my systen: 255191 files were encountered 167 files were excluded 9 files were not checked because the hard disk file had been modified by a program since it was backed up 2 files were not checked for various reasons 28870 special files (links, directories, devices, etc.) 226143 files verified successfully Master Backups using LONE-TAR(tm) to DVD+RW media ran at about 70-75 MB/min on OSR 5.0.6 but run at 175+ MB/min on 6.0.0, and if I turn off compression run at 260+ MB/min. To see how long it takes to search for a non-existant file: [trebor] ~: time find . -name XPMNYTRE real 0m58.59s user 0m1.72s sys 0m10.96s And to see how many directories had to be read: [trebor] ~: find . -type d | wc -l 23745 Bob -- Bob Stockler +-+ bob@trebor.iglou.com +-+ http://members.iglou.com/trebor Author: MENU EDIT II - The BEST Creator/Editor/Manager for filePro User Menus. Fully functional (time-limited) demos available by email request (specify OS). On Fri, Nov 25, 2005 at 11:01:36AM -0500, Bob Stockler wrote: > The speed of the SCO ...

Java 1.5 on SCO 5.0.6
Hi, I am trying to get some java programs running on my SCO systems - but they are written for java 1.5 and I can't find any files higher than java 1.3 for 5.0.6. I have tried installing the java 1.5 VOL files for OSR6, and they install through custom alright, but I am getting an error when I try to run 'java' # java -version dynamic linker : java : could not open /usr/lib/libthread.so.1 Killed Can anyone help either get the OSR6 version working on 5.0.6 or does anyone know if there is a version for 5.0.6 Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks, Keith On 13 Jul, 16:17, crym...@gmail.com wrote: > Hi, > > I am trying to get some java programs running on my SCO systems - but > they are written for java 1.5 and I can't find any files higher than > java 1.3 for 5.0.6. > > I have tried installing the java 1.5 VOL files for OSR6, and they > install through custom alright, but I am getting an error when I try > to run 'java' > > # java -version > dynamic linker : java : could not open /usr/lib/libthread.so.1 > Killed > > Can anyone help either get the OSR6 version working on 5.0.6 or does > anyone know if there is a version for 5.0.6 > > Any help would be much appreciated. > > Thanks, > > Keith Keith, Unfortunately Java 1.5 is not supported and will not run on OpenServer 5.0.6. If you want to run Java 1.5 programs you will need to upgrade to OpenServer 6.0.0. John On 17 Jul, 08:...

[ace-users] ACE+TAO+CIAO
Hi all, We are pleased to announce the latest ACE+TAO+CIAO beta. This beta has been tagged ACE+TAO+CIAO-5_5_6. The main difference between this release and x.5.5 is that the ACE exception macros (except for ACE_THROW_RETURN and ACE_THROW_SPEC) have been removed from all TAO and CIAO code. It is available from the same download location as per the previous release. http://download.dre.vanderbilt.edu/ The doxygen documentation for the beta is also available. Included with this beta, besides the packages combined of sources and generate makefiles, we also provide source only packages for the group of users which use MPC to generate their own makefiles. We encourage you to download the new beta, use it with your applications, and let us know if you encounter any problems. Please use the: $ACE_ROOT/PROBLEM-REPORT-FORM $TAO_ROOT/PROBLEM-REPORT-FORM $CIAO_ROOT/PROBLEM-REPORT-FORM so that we have the proper version/platform/compiler/options you're using to report problems. We also request that you take a look at: $TAO_ROOT/docs/releasenotes/ for the status of various ongoing projects at the DOC groups of WashU, UCI, and Vanderbilt to move ACE+TAO+CIAO forward. Overviews of our recent progress and upcoming plans are available at: $ACE_ROOT/NEWS $TAO_ROOT/NEWS $CIAO_ROOT/NEWS The overall success rates for the test results gathered from all our daily builds is 96% for the ACE tests and 92% for the TAO tests. Please see: http://ww...

Trying to compile putty-0.60 on SCO UNIX 5.0.7 with GCC and SCO Dev
I am trying to compile putty downloaded from http://linux.softpedia.com/progDownload/PuTTY-Download-347.html but get the error below. gcc -g -O2 -Wall -Werror -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DHAVE_X11 -DHAVE_X -DSYSV -Di386 -DS CO325 -D__SCO__ -DHAVE_XAW -DHAVE_SHAPE_EXT -DHAVE_SHAPE -DHAVE_SHM_EXT -DHAVE_X SHM -DHAVE_XCONVERTCASE -I/usr/include/gtk-2.0 -I/usr/lib/gtk-2.0/include -I/usr /include/atk-1.0 -I/usr/include/cairo -I/usr/include/pango-1.0 -I/usr/include/gl ib-2.0 -I/usr/lib/glib-2.0/include -I/usr/include/freetype2 -I/usr/X11R6/include -I.././ -I../charset/ -I../windows/ -I../unix/ -I../mac/ -I../macosx/ -c ../ proxy.c cc1: warnings being treated as errors .../proxy.c: In function `proxy_for_destination': .../proxy.c:315: warning: implicit declaration of function `strncasecmp' gmake: *** [proxy.o] Error 1 # My programming skill level tops out at ./configure and make. Searching for instances of strncasecmp in the putty working directory shows: /tmp/putty-0.60/unix # cd .. # find . -type f -print | xargs grep strncasecmp | less ../mac/stricmp.c:#define strncasecmp strnicmp ../mac/stricmp.c:strncasecmp(s1, s2, n) ../unix/unix.h:#define strnicmp strncasecmp (END) In unix/unix.h: #define DEFAULT_CODEPAGE 0xFFFF #define CP_UTF8 CS_UTF8 /* from libcharset */ #define strnicmp strncasecmp #define stricmp strcasecmp /* BSD-semantics version of signal(), and another helpful function */ void (*putty_signal(int sig, void (*func)(int)))(int); void block_si...

SCO 5.0.5 and EFS 5.60A on ML570 1st Generation
In the normal course of trouble shooting a Compaq (HP) hardware problem, HP support has suggested upgrading to EFS 5.60A. Late last year, after one problematic attempt to upgrade from 5.48A to 5.52, or 5.56, with a NOTICE: K_trap - unexpected alignment fault in system mode error, Compaq suggested reverting to 5.48A where I have remained ever since. While the problems may have been associated with a number of sources, I guess like using a G2 EFS instead of a G1, I am hesitant to upgrade now without good reason. The only non-Compaq hardware is a Digi AccelePort XEM, which does have the latest driver from Digi. With the exception of two ciss controllers everything else is fairly standard. Have there been any reported problems upgrading th EFS 5.60A? Thanks, Corrie cbmart wrote: > > In the normal course of trouble shooting a Compaq (HP) hardware problem, HP > support has suggested upgrading to EFS 5.60A. > > Late last year, after one problematic attempt to upgrade from 5.48A to 5.52, > or 5.56, with a NOTICE: K_trap - unexpected alignment fault in system mode > error, Compaq suggested reverting to 5.48A where I have remained ever since. > While the problems may have been associated with a number of sources, I > guess like using a G2 EFS instead of a G1, I am hesitant to upgrade now > without good reason. > > The only non-Compaq hardware is a Digi AccelePort XEM, which does have the > latest driver from Digi. With the exceptio...

In-Place Upgrade of SCO OpenServer 5.0.4 to 5.0.7
I will attempt this upgrade in a few days. Has anyone on this forum done this? Any pitfalls? Any problems? I checked SCO's tech article data base and found articles 11293 ("An in-place upgrade from OpenServer 5.0.4 to 5.0.5 and then on to 5.06 fails"), 112523 ("I upgraded from OpenServer 5.0.x to OpenServer 5.0.6 and my files from /usr/local are missing"), 105664 ("The Internet FastStart package did not install after an in-place upgrade to OpenServer Enterprise Release 5.0.4 or 5.0.5"), and 11542 ("I get kernel relink errors when trying to install Merge 5 on SCO OpenServer 5"). Are these various problems fixed with 5.0.7? Are there any other tech articles I should be aware of? Regards, Ronald W. Satz SCO UNIX Authorized and Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer Transpower Corporation transpower@aol.com www.transpowercorp.com Transpower <transpower@aol.com> wrote: >I will attempt this upgrade in a few days. Has anyone on this forum done this? Well, in my opinion that's too far back for an IPU. It might very well work, but 5.0.4 is pretty ancient and you are bound to have accumulated a lot of cruft over the years. I'd fresh install: http://aplawrence.com/Unixart/upgrades.html -- tony@aplawrence.com Unix/Linux/Mac OS X resources: http://aplawrence.com Get paid for writing about tech: http://aplawrence.com/publish.html ...

zmodem for SCO 5.0.5
Does anyone have rz and sz for SCO 5.0.5? thanks, -eric wood "Eric Wood" <eric@interplas.com> wrote in message news:<vr2oggeukni104@corp.supernews.com>... > Does anyone have rz and sz for SCO 5.0.5? > > thanks, > -eric wood http://www.aljex.com/bkw/sco/index.html#rzsz ...

openSSL on SCO 5.0.5
I need to get openSSL on my SCO 5.0.5 Enterprise / Apache 1.3.23 server. I CANNOT find information on obtaining openSSL for a SCO machine anywhere. Could someone please point me in the right direction? Thank you in advance. -- Posted via http://dbforums.com ajonas typed (on Fri, Aug 22, 2003 at 03:19:30PM -0400): | | I need to get openSSL on my SCO 5.0.5 Enterprise / Apache 1.3.23 server. | I CANNOT find information on obtaining openSSL for a SCO machine | anywhere. Could someone please point me in the right direction? There's a binary suite on ftp.jpr.com, which I compiled on 5.0.6, but have installed on several 5.0.5 machines. -- JP ...

maildelivery and sco 5.0.5
How can I create a filter so that if there is an email getting in and it has an attachment with a ".pif extention" to delete it automatically ? I normally use this kind of filters to delete mails from people : /usr/lib/mail/maildelivery: From 24hourfit.com destroy A - Regards, Enrique Arredondo "Enrique Arredondo" <atk@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message news:N546b.11374$QL2.11327@newssvr25.news.prodigy.com... > How can I create a filter so that if there is an email getting in and it has > an attachment with a ".pif extention" to delete it automatically ? > > I normally use this kind of filters to delete mails from people : > > /usr/lib/mail/maildelivery: > From 24hourfit.com destroy A - > > Can I do this : From 24hourfit.com destroy A - X-MailScanner "Found to be clean" destroy A - Enrique Arredondo enscribed: | X-UserInfo1: T[OQBTKDU[RWRWTYBZH@_VDA[X_LPO@FQQ]ZMVMHQAVTUZ]CLNTCPFK[WDXDHV[K^FCGJCJLPF_D_NCC@FUG^Q\DINVAXSLIFXYJSSCCALP@PB@\OS@BITWAH\CQZKJMMD^SJA^NXA\GVLSRBD^M_NW_F[YLVTWIGAXAQBOATKBBQRXECDFDMQ\DZFUE@\JM | Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2003 17:54:53 GMT | | How can I create a filter so that if there is an email getting in and it has | an attachment with a ".pif extention" to delete it automatically ? | | I normally use this kind of filters to delete mails from people : | | /usr/lib/mail/maildelivery: | >From 24hourfit.com destroy A - And soon you will want to filter other nam...

powerchute on SCO 5.0.5
I'm planning to setup the "powerchte plus" software from APC on my SCO 3.2 5.0.5 box so that it shutdowns the machine in case the power runs out in case of a black out, Has anybody experienced any thing related to the parachute software that will help me choose to use it or to forget about it ? Thanks On Fri, 08 Aug 2003 18:22:43 GMT, "Enrique Arredondo" <atk@sbcglobal.net> wrote: >I'm planning to setup the "powerchte plus" software from APC on my SCO 3.2 >5.0.5 box so that it shutdowns the machine in case the power runs out in >case of a black out, Has anybody experienced any thing related to the >parachute software that will help me choose to use it or to forget about it >? > >Thanks > I've used it in the past - Worked as advertised. I tried to use the latest version earlier this week, and found that they did away with the command-line interface for configuration. Something is wrong with my X setup on that box, so I had no way of configuring the software. If it does not work out for you, the removal is quite efficient and painless, so there's no harm in trying it out. Scott McMillan Scott McMillan <smcm@usa.net> wrote in message news:<86r7jvck4rna04u3r6i14a2npi8heamude@4ax.com>... > On Fri, 08 Aug 2003 18:22:43 GMT, "Enrique Arredondo" > <atk@sbcglobal.net> wrote: > > >I'm planning to setup the "powerchte plus" software from APC ...

openssh for sco 5.0.5
Does anybody know the steps for the installation of openssh on OSR 505 ? Is there a special file or paremeter I have to use to install it or does ftp.sco.com has a ssh ? Thanks E.A. "Corrlens" <ask@me.later> wrote in message news:26SJd.6161$8Z1.3177@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com... > Does anybody know the steps for the installation of openssh on OSR 505 ? > Is there a special file or paremeter I have to use to install it or does > ftp.sco.com has a ssh ? > > Thanks > > E.A. > > I forgot to mention that my goal is to have sftp working, be able to transfer files to a secure ftp server on a remote location. Corrlens typed (on Wed, Jan 26, 2005 at 07:22:38PM +0000): | Does anybody know the steps for the installation of openssh on OSR 505 ? Is | there a special file or paremeter I have to use to install it or does | ftp.sco.com has a ssh ? | ftp.jpr.com/pub/openssh4osr5.tgz or ftp.jpr.com/pub/openssh4osr5.tar.bz2 -- JP "Jean-Pierre Radley" <jpr@jpr.com> wrote in message news:20050126211328.GG11013@jpradley.jpr.com... > Corrlens typed (on Wed, Jan 26, 2005 at 07:22:38PM +0000): > | Does anybody know the steps for the installation of openssh on OSR 505 > ? Is > | there a special file or paremeter I have to use to install it or does > | ftp.sco.com has a ssh ? > | > > ftp.jpr.com/pub/openssh4osr5.tgz > or > ftp.jpr.com/pub/openssh4osr5.tar.bz2 > > > -- > JP...

Sybase and Openserver 5.0.4/5.0.5
Can somone give me information about what Sybase Sql version that runs on OSR5.0.4 and OSR5.0.5 etc? ...

Web resources about - SCO 5.0.5/5.0.6 bios clock, time zone and synching - comp.unix.sco.misc

Scripting News: Say no to synching and RSS.
... a fantastic rant about the demise of Google Reader. Go read it now and love the way he writes. But let's not jump so fast back into the synching ...

Miley Cyrus talks about her Australia visit, lip-synching and why she won't be coming to Oz single
TEEN pop star Miley Cyrus is coming to Australia - and she won't be single.

Worst lip-synching mistake ever (00:27)
While performing live on national TV, Chinese folk singer Sa Dingding makes a embarrassing error by holding her mic upside down.

Britney Spears accused of lip-synching to Sia's vocals
She's no stranger to lip-synching controversies but this time Britney Spears has been accused of mouthing to Sia's vocals.

Synching of signals a big help
LAMEDA SIGNALS READY FOR PASEO REBUILD: The metro area's first stage of signal synchronization is getting green lights.

Britney Spears' team briefed to deny lip-synching
Britney Spears' team briefed to deny lip-synching,Staff at the Planet Hollywood Resort & Casino in Las Vegas have allegedly been given stock ...

Lip-synching goes viral: the rise of Dubsmash
A lip-synching app has become an internet smash hit, but could copyright claims bring trouble?

"We could tell you that the interactive video consists of 16 separate videos starring familiar actors ...
"... and that viewers can use their keyboards to flip between these videos seamlessly throughout the duration of the song, so that the opening ...

Police Officer Lip-Synching Taylor Swift’s “Shake It Off”, Dashcam Video Goes Viral
A video of a police officer lip synching to Taylor Swift’s hit “Shake It Off” has gone viral. A dashcam filmed Jeff Davis on the job driving ...

Kate Bosworth Is Prepping For Coachella By Lip-Synching Duran Duran
Two days until Coachella, people ... two days! Among the celebrities most excited for the three day music festival in Indio, California, is ...