SCO 5.0.5 vs. 6.0

I'm having a new server built:

SuperMicro P4SC8 Mother Board
Intel P4 3.0Ghz 800  FSB 1GB CPU
73GB 10K 80 PIN SCSI  Drive
Sony 20/40GB DAT Drive SDT11000/BN DDS4

Adaptec 2010S Card for Mirroring

Comtrol Rockport Card 99126-7

Is there any reason I should update my current version of SCO 5.0.5?

Frank

0
fshank (20)

The following article is a recommendation from SCO when using P4
http://www.sco.com/ta/115963

"FrankS" <fshank@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> I'm having a new server built:
>
> SuperMicro P4SC8 Mother Board
> Intel P4 3.0Ghz 800  FSB 1GB CPU
> 73GB 10K 80 PIN SCSI  Drive
> Sony 20/40GB DAT Drive SDT11000/BN DDS4
>
> Adaptec 2010S Card for Mirroring
>
> Comtrol Rockport Card 99126-7
>

> Is there any reason I should update my current version of SCO 5.0.5?
>

> Frank

0
comms (23)
4/11/2006 11:37:46 PM
FrankS wrote:
> I'm having a new server built:
>
> SuperMicro P4SC8 Mother Board
> Intel P4 3.0Ghz 800  FSB 1GB CPU
> 73GB 10K 80 PIN SCSI  Drive
> Sony 20/40GB DAT Drive SDT11000/BN DDS4
>
> Adaptec 2010S Card for Mirroring
>
> Comtrol Rockport Card 99126-7
>

> Is there any reason I should update my current version of SCO 5.0.5?

Frank,

OpenServer 5.0.5 is a retired product and is no longer generally
supported by SCO. OpenServer 5.0.5 is not designed to work on P4
systems and you will mmost likely experience problems if you attempt to
run 5.0.5 on such a system. See:

http://wdb1.sco.com/kb/showta?taid=115963

for the details.

5.0.5 does not have built in support for the Adaptec 2010S card either
so you will need to see if you can get a supported driver from Adaptec
directly for this card.

I would suggest that you have two options:

1) Upgrade to OpenServer 6. The one issue that you may run into
hardware wise with such an upgrade is finding a driver for the Comtrol
Rockport card. You would need to check with Comtrol to see if they
provide a driver for this card for OpenServer 6. if they cont then you
would need to look to another muliport serial card provider (Connect
Tech/Equinox/Digi/Perle are possible options).

You would also need to test your applications to see that they will
install and run on OpenServer 6.

2) If you are reluctant to move to OpenServer 6.0.0 then the opther
option you have is to upgrade to OpenServer 5.0.7 but you will not get
the benefit of all the new features of OpenServer 6.0.0 if you choose
this path.

Regards,

Jjohn

0