SCO emulator for Linux

We have an application that was compiled for SCO but because of the FUD
(fear, uncertainty, and doubt - a technique pioneered by MicroShaft)
have been requested to explore moving to a Linux server.  We do not
control the application, nor can we get the vendor to port it for the
indefinite future.

Is there a generally available (GPI) emulator for SCO running on Linux ?
--
bill
Technical Service Systems

unix is user friendly, it is just careful who it befriends

0
nobody22 (665)

bill wrote:
> We have an application that was compiled for SCO but because of the FUD
> (fear, uncertainty, and doubt - a technique pioneered by MicroShaft)
> have been requested to explore moving to a Linux server.  We do not
> control the application, nor can we get the vendor to port it for the
> indefinite future.
>
> Is there a generally available (GPI) emulator for SCO running on Linux ?

Well, the Linux kernel has some significant-sounding options in the
"Binary emulation of other systems" category:

   SVR3/SVR4 (and derivates) binary emulation support
   UnixWare 7.x binary emulation support
   iBCS2/iABI4 binary emulation support
   SCO OpenServer 5/SCO Unix 3.x/Xenix binary emulation support
   Kernel support for COFF binaries
   Kernel support for x.out binaries

I've never tried any of this.  I read about it once, years ago, and I
vaguely recall that there was some conflict concerning shared libraries
which required you to set the LD_PRELOAD environment variable or
something like that.

As you can imagine, searching the web for "sco" and "linux" yields
thousands of messages, mostly about legal issues.  Here are a few
links that contain some scraps of information about emulation:

   http://www.linuxgazette.com/issue48/tag/40.html
   http://www.matrixlist.com/pipermail/leaplist/2002-March/018794.html
   http://www.matrixlist.com/pipermail/leaplist/2002-March/018795.html
   http://www.mozillaquest.com/Linux03/ScoSource-01_Story01.html
bill <nobody@spamcop.net> wrote in message news:<vljnhd7nrktd1@corp.supernews.com>...
> We have an application that was compiled for SCO but because of the FUD
> (fear, uncertainty, and doubt - a technique pioneered by MicroShaft)
> have been requested to explore moving to a Linux server.  We do not
> control the application, nor can we get the vendor to port it for the
> indefinite future.
>
> Is there a generally available (GPI) emulator for SCO running on Linux ?

Can you explain why they would run an application on an unsupported
(by ap vendor) os that they don't know will work rather than a
supported os (again by ap vendor) that they know works and will work
in the forseeable future even if the os vendor fails to support it?
Long term the ap vendor will port or risk having no place to run in
the future.
The port may however not be to Linux.
After they port dump SCO.
We ported our ap from SCO to Linux a couple of years ago for cost
reasons. It now looks like we were clairvoyant. We are however
advising clients running on
SCO boxes which meet current needs to stay put till there is a
performance or functional reason to change.
IMHO to do otherwise would be FUD.
Regards...dan
JDanSkinner.com
On Sat, 06 Sep 2003 13:10:34 -0700, Dan Skinner wrote:

> The port may however not be to Linux.

As in *BSD? How many proprietary apps have native BSD binaries?

--
<knghtbrd> eek, not another one...
<knghtbrd> Seems ever developer and their mother now has a random

0
naesten1 (3)
9/7/2003 4:34:38 AM
Dan Skinner wrote:

> bill <nobody@spamcop.net> wrote in message news:<vljnhd7nrktd1@corp.supernews.com>...
>
>>We have an application that was compiled for SCO but because of the FUD
>>(fear, uncertainty, and doubt - a technique pioneered by MicroShaft)
>>have been requested to explore moving to a Linux server.  We do not
>>control the application, nor can we get the vendor to port it for the
>>indefinite future.
>>
>>Is there a generally available (GPI) emulator for SCO running on Linux ?
>

> Can you explain why they would run an application on an unsupported
> (by ap vendor) os that they don't know will work rather than a
> supported os (again by ap vendor) that they know works and will work
> in the forseeable future even if the os vendor fails to support it?
> Long term the ap vendor will port or risk having no place to run in
> the future.

Sure, they/we are looking 2 years into the future.  I have a hard time
recommending an OS that might be unsupported and not upgradable to new
hardware.  Cost is a strong 2nd reason.

The app vendor has win support only from now on.  I would rather run
under Linux emulation than win !

--
bill
Technical Service Systems
bill (atsign) TechServSys (period) com

unix is user friendly, it is just careful who it befriends

0
nobody22 (665)
9/7/2003 11:27:40 AM
Steve Kirkendall wrote:

> bill wrote:
>
>>We have an application that was compiled for SCO but because of the FUD
>>(fear, uncertainty, and doubt - a technique pioneered by MicroShaft)
>>have been requested to explore moving to a Linux server.  We do not
>>control the application, nor can we get the vendor to port it for the
>>indefinite future.
>>
>>Is there a generally available (GPI) emulator for SCO running on Linux ?
>

> Well, the Linux kernel has some significant-sounding options in the
> "Binary emulation of other systems" category:
>
>    SVR3/SVR4 (and derivates) binary emulation support
>    UnixWare 7.x binary emulation support
>    iBCS2/iABI4 binary emulation support
>    SCO OpenServer 5/SCO Unix 3.x/Xenix binary emulation support
>    Kernel support for COFF binaries
>    Kernel support for x.out binaries
>
> I've never tried any of this.  I read about it once, years ago, and I
> vaguely recall that there was some conflict concerning shared libraries
> which required you to set the LD_PRELOAD environment variable or
> something like that.
>
> As you can imagine, searching the web for "sco" and "linux" yields
> thousands of messages, mostly about legal issues.  Here are a few
> links that contain some scraps of information about emulation:
>
>    http://www.linuxgazette.com/issue48/tag/40.html
>    http://www.matrixlist.com/pipermail/leaplist/2002-March/018794.html
>    http://www.matrixlist.com/pipermail/leaplist/2002-March/018795.html
>    http://www.mozillaquest.com/Linux03/ScoSource-01_Story01.html

Thank you !

Anyone here have any experience running SCO apps under emulation ?
--
bill
Technical Service Systems
bill (atsign) TechServSys (period) com

unix is user friendly, it is just careful who it befriends

0
nobody22 (665)
9/7/2003 11:29:19 AM
On Sat, 06 Sep 2003 09:16:39 -0400, bill <nobody@spamcop.net> wrote:

>We have an application that was compiled for SCO but because of the FUD
>(fear, uncertainty, and doubt - a technique pioneered by MicroShaft)
>have been requested to explore moving to a Linux server.  We do not
>control the application, nor can we get the vendor to port it for the
>indefinite future.
>
>Is there a generally available (GPI) emulator for SCO running on Linux ?

Actually it's quite simple to emulate a SCO OS using Linux:

1) Download archived kernel source (the latter 2.0.x kernels should
suffice)

2) Build the kernel with the absolute bare minimum of drivers - only
network cards and SCSI adaptors from over 5 years ago. No graphics
drivers at all.

3) Reboot!

4) Withdraw a few hundred dollars from your bank account, and set fire
to the bills.

--
FyRE	< "Ready Cursor" >
0
On Sun, 07 Sep 2003 07:29:19 +0000, bill wrote:

> Steve Kirkendall wrote:
>
>> bill wrote:
>>
>>>We have an application that was compiled for SCO but because of the FUD
>>>(fear, uncertainty, and doubt - a technique pioneered by MicroShaft)
>>>have been requested to explore moving to a Linux server.  We do not
>>>control the application, nor can we get the vendor to port it for the
>>>indefinite future.
>>>
>>>Is there a generally available (GPI) emulator for SCO running on Linux ?
>>

>> Well, the Linux kernel has some significant-sounding options in the
>> "Binary emulation of other systems" category:
>>
>>    SVR3/SVR4 (and derivates) binary emulation support UnixWare 7.x
>>    binary emulation support iBCS2/iABI4 binary emulation support
>>    SCO OpenServer 5/SCO Unix 3.x/Xenix binary emulation support Kernel
>>    support for COFF binaries
>>    Kernel support for x.out binaries
>>
>> I've never tried any of this.  I read about it once, years ago, and I
>> vaguely recall that there was some conflict concerning shared libraries
>> which required you to set the LD_PRELOAD environment variable or
>> something like that.
>>
>> As you can imagine, searching the web for "sco" and "linux" yields
>> thousands of messages, mostly about legal issues.  Here are a few links
>> that contain some scraps of information about emulation:
>>
>>    http://www.linuxgazette.com/issue48/tag/40.html
>>    http://www.matrixlist.com/pipermail/leaplist/2002-March/018794.html
>>    http://www.matrixlist.com/pipermail/leaplist/2002-March/018795.html
>>    http://www.mozillaquest.com/Linux03/ScoSource-01_Story01.html
>
> Thank you !
>
> Anyone here have any experience running SCO apps under emulation ?

Actually Caldera at one time was going down this path and we explored it.
It may have been called iBCS, I can't remember.  I think it was dropped
because they had to include the SCO libaries or someting but there was an
entry into SourceForge at the time.  Ancient history now and if your app
vendor can't recompile (we do have a new C compiler out now), my view is
you get a new application.   We have been running production on Linux for
almost four years.........and we do ERP, Distro, Accounting and CRM.  We
have competitors so the old mantra about no apps is bunko.....fdr

0
fdr1 (8)
9/7/2003 5:15:04 PM
bill <nobody@spamcop.net> wrote in message news:<vlm5gsjbc17cfa@corp.supernews.com>...
> Dan Skinner wrote:
>
> > bill <nobody@spamcop.net> wrote in message n Sure, they/we are looking 2 years into the future.  I have a hard time
> recommending an OS that might be unsupported and not upgradable to new
> hardware.  Cost is a strong 2nd reason.
>
> The app vendor has win support only from now on.  I would rather run
> under Linux emulation than win !
> > > The port may however not be to Linux.
> > After they port dump SCO.

In otherwords the ap vendor has ported (Windows as I suspected) and
you are displeased.  Further you think running an already obsolete
emulation of a currently obsolete os 2 years in the future is the best
way for your customer to preserve an investment in the current ap.
Sounds like anti-Microsoft FUD to a dangerous level.  If you feel that
strongly about Windows, something we share, I suggest you find a
replacement ap which meets their needs and runs on your prefered os.
IMHO a hack job is no way to run a mission critical application.  If
it's not mission critical and doesn't meet operating environment
standards, a new ap which does is in order.  AFAIC one finds the
software which best meets requirements then runs it in the environment
it is most happy. The old "If you need to drive a nail, put down the
screw driver and pick up a hammer" applies.  My advice. Don't let a
bias cause you to give bad advice.
Regards...Dan.
I used IBCS successfully on Caldera eServer2.3 and successfully ran a legacy
application that ran in XENIX and OSR5.

But when the kernal upgrade took place in Caldera3.1.1 I couldnt get IBCS to
work.

Perhaps someone in this group might be able to enlighten me as well.

"Steve Kirkendall" <skirkendall@dsl-only.net> wrote in message
> bill wrote:
> > We have an application that was compiled for SCO but because of the FUD
> > (fear, uncertainty, and doubt - a technique pioneered by MicroShaft)
> > have been requested to explore moving to a Linux server.  We do not
> > control the application, nor can we get the vendor to port it for the
> > indefinite future.
> >
> > Is there a generally available (GPI) emulator for SCO running on Linux ?
>
> Well, the Linux kernel has some significant-sounding options in the
> "Binary emulation of other systems" category:
>
>    SVR3/SVR4 (and derivates) binary emulation support
>    UnixWare 7.x binary emulation support
>    iBCS2/iABI4 binary emulation support
>    SCO OpenServer 5/SCO Unix 3.x/Xenix binary emulation support
>    Kernel support for COFF binaries
>    Kernel support for x.out binaries
>
> I've never tried any of this.  I read about it once, years ago, and I
> vaguely recall that there was some conflict concerning shared libraries
> which required you to set the LD_PRELOAD environment variable or
> something like that.
>
> As you can imagine, searching the web for "sco" and "linux" yields
> thousands of messages, mostly about legal issues.  Here are a few
> links that contain some scraps of information about emulation:
>
>    http://www.linuxgazette.com/issue48/tag/40.html
>    http://www.matrixlist.com/pipermail/leaplist/2002-March/018794.html
>    http://www.matrixlist.com/pipermail/leaplist/2002-March/018795.html
>    http://www.mozillaquest.com/Linux03/ScoSource-01_Story01.html

0
comms (23)
9/7/2003 10:00:33 PM
bill wrote:

> We have an application that was compiled for SCO but because of the FUD
> (fear, uncertainty, and doubt - a technique pioneered by MicroShaft)
> have been requested to explore moving to a Linux server.  We do not
> control the application, nor can we get the vendor to port it for the
> indefinite future.
>
> Is there a generally available (GPI) emulator for SCO running on Linux ?

I've had mixed experiences.

A good starting point is the ABI project, see :-

http://linux-abi.sourceforge.net/

Basically "simple" binaries seem to work just fine - anything that talks
to hardware directly seems to run into problems (for example I've had
no luck in getting a comms module we've written to work; recompiling it
on Linux directly works fine).

There are unofficial versions of ABI available for newer Linux kernels,
I've got things running just fine here on a 2.4.20 version.

I'd definitely recommend once you get things working though to compile
what you need into the Linux kernel - if only so you don't forget to
load the modules :-) ... the amount of time our production machine
has failed!!

What do you want to run under Linux?

Cheers,

Stuart.

--
More To Life Than This - www.miketramp.com

0
stuart1 (260)
9/7/2003 10:16:02 PM
"Stuart Marshall" <stuart@spidersoft.co.uk> wrote in message
> bill wrote:
>
> > We have an application that was compiled for SCO but because of the FUD
> > (fear, uncertainty, and doubt - a technique pioneered by MicroShaft)
> > have been requested to explore moving to a Linux server.  We do not
> > control the application, nor can we get the vendor to port it for the
> > indefinite future.
> >
> > Is there a generally available (GPI) emulator for SCO running on Linux
?

> I've had mixed experiences.
>
> A good starting point is the ABI project, see :-
>
> http://linux-abi.sourceforge.net/
>
> Basically "simple" binaries seem to work just fine - anything that talks
> to hardware directly seems to run into problems (for example I've had
> no luck in getting a comms module we've written to work; recompiling it
> on Linux directly works fine).
>
> There are unofficial versions of ABI available for newer Linux kernels,
> I've got things running just fine here on a 2.4.20 version.
>
> I'd definitely recommend once you get things working though to compile
> what you need into the Linux kernel - if only so you don't forget to
> load the modules :-) ... the amount of time our production machine
> has failed!!
>
> What do you want to run under Linux?

We use RH8 (no errata loaded, the newer errata kernels break ABI), and have
very few issues with SCO binaries (statically linked) under Linux.

Steer away from Microsoft a.out binaries however, as they will not work.

Just need to make sure that the modules are inserted (as Stuart said).  You
should be able to get away with just these two lines:

    modprobe binfmt_coff
    modprobe abi-sco

The rest should happen automatically.

bkx

0
stuart3711 (131)
9/8/2003 3:18:48 AM
"bill" <nobody@spamcop.net> wrote in message
> We have an application that was compiled for SCO but because of the FUD
> (fear, uncertainty, and doubt - a technique pioneered by MicroShaft)
> have been requested to explore moving to a Linux server.  We do not
> control the application, nor can we get the vendor to port it for the
> indefinite future.
>
> Is there a generally available (GPI) emulator for SCO running on Linux ?

While there was an iBCSII emulator for Linux in the past, I don't know the
status of it today.  I do know that exactly this type of usage, when the SCO
Shared Libraries are required, you're violating the SCO licensing agreement
and stealing their IP.  While this may be what you want to do, I tend to
frown on theft.

By the way, IBM was the original FUD distributor in the computer industry
and continues to be a leader in this field to this day.

--
Jim Sullivan

"Jim Sullivan" <seattlecurler@comcast.net> wrote in message

> "bill" <nobody@spamcop.net> wrote in message
> > We have an application that was compiled for SCO but because of the FUD
> > (fear, uncertainty, and doubt - a technique pioneered by MicroShaft)
> > have been requested to explore moving to a Linux server.  We do not
> > control the application, nor can we get the vendor to port it for the
> > indefinite future.
> >
> > Is there a generally available (GPI) emulator for SCO running on Linux
?

> While there was an iBCSII emulator for Linux in the past, I don't know
the
> status of it today.  I do know that exactly this type of usage, when the
SCO
> Shared Libraries are required, you're violating the SCO licensing
agreement
> and stealing their IP.  While this may be what you want to do, I tend to
> frown on theft.
>
> By the way, IBM was the original FUD distributor in the computer industry
> and continues to be a leader in this field to this day.

iBCS and iBCS2 are both depricated.  linux-abi is the current project.

0
stuart3711 (131)
9/8/2003 8:14:29 AM
FyRE wrote:

> On Sat, 06 Sep 2003 09:16:39 -0400, bill <nobody@spamcop.net> wrote:
>

>>We have an application that was compiled for SCO but because of the FUD
>>(fear, uncertainty, and doubt - a technique pioneered by MicroShaft)
>>have been requested to explore moving to a Linux server.  We do not
>>control the application, nor can we get the vendor to port it for the
>>indefinite future.
>>
>>Is there a generally available (GPI) emulator for SCO running on Linux ?
>

> Actually it's quite simple to emulate a SCO OS using Linux:
>
> 1) Download archived kernel source (the latter 2.0.x kernels should
> suffice)
>
> 2) Build the kernel with the absolute bare minimum of drivers - only
> network cards and SCSI adaptors from over 5 years ago. No graphics
> drivers at all.
>
> 3) Reboot!
>
> 4) Withdraw a few hundred dollars from your bank account, and set fire
> to the bills.

I love it, do you think I could skip step 4 and just take my wife out
for a really expensive dinner instead ?

--
bill
Technical Service Systems
bill (atsign) TechServSys (period) com

unix is user friendly, it is just careful who it befriends

0
nobody22 (665)
9/8/2003 11:12:49 AM
Jim Sullivan wrote:

> While there was an iBCSII emulator for Linux in the past, I don't know the
> status of it today.  I do know that exactly this type of usage, when the SCO
> Shared Libraries are required, you're violating the SCO licensing agreement
> and stealing their IP.  While this may be what you want to do, I tend to
> frown on theft.

It is (as pr. SCO's own licenses - *not* theft to take the shared
libraries from your old Unix (as long as its been shredded ;-)).
Alternatively you can buy a license for the shared libraries seperately
(afaik). So if you move from SCO to Linux - you should setup ABI and
copy the shared libs (just in case some app or other isn't supported on
your new OS.)

0
kp8747 (23)
9/8/2003 12:30:30 PM
"Jim Sullivan" <seattlecurler@comcast.net> wrote in message news:<BdqcnQKgCLJci8GiU-KYvg@comcast.com>...
> "bill" <nobody@spamcop.net> wrote in message
> > We have an application that was compiled for SCO but because of the FUD
> > (fear, uncertainty, and doubt - a technique pioneered by MicroShaft)
> > have been requested to explore moving to a Linux server.  We do not
> > control the application, nor can we get the vendor to port it for the
> > indefinite future.
> >
> > Is there a generally available (GPI) emulator for SCO running on Linux ?
>
> While there was an iBCSII emulator for Linux in the past, I don't know the
> status of it today.  I do know that exactly this type of usage, when the SCO
> Shared Libraries are required, you're violating the SCO licensing agreement
> and stealing their IP.  While this may be what you want to do, I tend to
> frown on theft.
>
> By the way, IBM was the original FUD distributor in the computer industry
> and continues to be a leader in this field to this day.

True enough. In the 60's and 70's an MIS manager couldn't get fired by
going
IBM. In the 90's and 00's the IT manager is safe with Microsoft.
Neither are/were real technological leaders but were safe and not
hesitant to tell the person with the checkbook how safe they are/were.
Now, running SCO emulation on Linux in order to support a Windows only
application.  That just might get someone fired.
Regards...Dan.

Regards...Dan.
On Sun, 07 Sep 2003 07:29:19 -0400, bill <nobody@spamcop.net> wrote:

>Steve Kirkendall wrote:
>
>> bill wrote:
>>
>>>We have an application that was compiled for SCO but because of the FUD
>>>(fear, uncertainty, and doubt - a technique pioneered by MicroShaft)
>>>have been requested to explore moving to a Linux server.  We do not
>>>control the application, nor can we get the vendor to port it for the
>>>indefinite future.
>>>
>>>Is there a generally available (GPI) emulator for SCO running on Linux ?
>>

>> Well, the Linux kernel has some significant-sounding options in the
>> "Binary emulation of other systems" category:
>>
>>    SVR3/SVR4 (and derivates) binary emulation support
>>    UnixWare 7.x binary emulation support
>>    iBCS2/iABI4 binary emulation support
>>    SCO OpenServer 5/SCO Unix 3.x/Xenix binary emulation support
>>    Kernel support for COFF binaries
>>    Kernel support for x.out binaries
>>
>> I've never tried any of this.  I read about it once, years ago, and I
>> vaguely recall that there was some conflict concerning shared libraries
>> which required you to set the LD_PRELOAD environment variable or
>> something like that.
>>
>> As you can imagine, searching the web for "sco" and "linux" yields
>> thousands of messages, mostly about legal issues.  Here are a few
>> links that contain some scraps of information about emulation:
>>
>>    http://www.linuxgazette.com/issue48/tag/40.html
>>    http://www.matrixlist.com/pipermail/leaplist/2002-March/018794.html
>>    http://www.matrixlist.com/pipermail/leaplist/2002-March/018795.html
>>    http://www.mozillaquest.com/Linux03/ScoSource-01_Story01.html
>
>Thank you !
>
>Anyone here have any experience running SCO apps under emulation ?

ABI for Linux so that you can run SCO binaries
http://linux-abi.sf.net

/etc/init.d ABI script
http://sourceforge.net/docman/display_doc.php?docid=10145&group_id=13130

Works well with RH 8 out of the box. I heard they broke ABI on some
kernel updates, so be careful applying the kernel updates.

brian
0
brian384 (33)
9/8/2003 11:44:55 PM
bill <nobody@spamcop.net> wrote:

> Anyone here have any experience running SCO apps under emulation ?

Some years ago (before Informix provided Linux binaries) I ran Informix
Online 5 (+ ISQL + STAR) without any troubles (but I didn't managed it
to make I4GL work.). That was with kernels from the 1.2 and 2.0 series,
I never tried the SCO emulation with newer kernels.

Walter
0
news9602 (9)
9/9/2003 6:06:51 AM
Brian Lavender wrote:

> Works well with RH 8 out of the box. I heard they broke ABI on some
> kernel updates, so be careful applying the kernel updates.

They certainly did; IIRC (and its been a while) the one shipped with
RH8 is fine, but all of the subsequent kernel updates from RH had
ABI broken - and then they pulled it from RH9 completely (still
don't know why - maybe the SCO lawsuit contributed?!).

However, there are patches for 2.4.20 (and 21 though I've got tried
this yet) from http://linux-abi.sourceforge.net/patches/

These need to be patched onto a vanilla kernel though, rather than
the RH supplied one -- what the differences are I'm not sure...

I prefer a cleaner kernel anyway - and I've had 2.4.20 running
perfectly with ABI for a few months now.

Regards,

Stuart.

0
stuart1 (260)
9/9/2003 11:14:42 AM
If you want to use a little different solution, you can always intstall SCO
under Linux using a commercial product such as vmware.  I use this solution
myself to support the few remaining openserver accounts I have.

The drawback to this approach is that you have to first purchase a copy of
vmware and you must have a licensed copy of openserver.  I would be remiss
if I didn't mention that installing openserver under vmware is a real pain
in the ass and is not an officially supported vmware operating system.  You
can find more information at www.vmware.com.

This solution works flawlessly for me.  Your milage may vary.

Regards,
Bruce Collins

For my real e-mail address replace the two with a 2

bill wrote:

> We have an application that was compiled for SCO but because of the FUD
> (fear, uncertainty, and doubt - a technique pioneered by MicroShaft)
> have been requested to explore moving to a Linux server.  We do not
> control the application, nor can we get the vendor to port it for the
> indefinite future.
>
> Is there a generally available (GPI) emulator for SCO running on Linux ?

0
doug11 (2)
9/10/2003 3:07:13 AM
On Sat, 06 Sep 2003 09:16:39 -0400, bill wrote:

> We have an application that was compiled for SCO but because of the FUD
> (fear, uncertainty, and doubt - a technique pioneered by MicroShaft)
> have been requested to explore moving to a Linux server.  We do not
> control the application, nor can we get the vendor to port it for the
> indefinite future.
>
> Is there a generally available (GPI) emulator for SCO running on Linux ?

If the app in question has been ported to Windows, and you can get that
version cheaply enough, you could try using WINE, a userspace hack that
lets you run Windows binaries on x86 Linux.  Of course, a native Linux
solution would still be the best bet.

--
Nucleon, <tcfelker@mtco.com>
<http://vlevel.sourceforge.net> - Stop fiddling with the volume knob.

Curiosity was framed; ignorance killed the cat.

0
tcfelker (97)
9/14/2003 7:35:42 PM
"Stuart J. Browne" <stuart@promed.com.au> wrote in

> "Stuart Marshall" <stuart@spidersoft.co.uk> wrote in
> message news:3f5bade1$0$243$cc9e4d1f@news.dial.pipex.com...
>> bill wrote:
>>
>> > We have an application that was compiled for SCO but
>> > because of the FUD (fear, uncertainty, and doubt - a
>> > technique pioneered by MicroShaft) have been requested
>> > to explore moving to a Linux server.  We do not control
>> > the application, nor can we get the vendor to port it
>> > for the indefinite future.
>> >
>> > Is there a generally available (GPI) emulator for SCO
>> > running on Linux
> ?
>>
>> I've had mixed experiences.
>>
>> A good starting point is the ABI project, see :-
>>
>> http://linux-abi.sourceforge.net/
>>
>> Basically "simple" binaries seem to work just fine -
>> anything that talks to hardware directly seems to run into
>> problems (for example I've had no luck in getting a comms
>> module we've written to work; recompiling it on Linux
>> directly works fine).
>>
>> There are unofficial versions of ABI available for newer
>> Linux kernels, I've got things running just fine here on a
>> 2.4.20 version.
>>
>> I'd definitely recommend once you get things working
>> though to compile what you need into the Linux kernel - if
>> only so you don't forget to load the modules :-) ... the
>> amount of time our production machine has failed!!
>>
>> What do you want to run under Linux?
>
> We use RH8 (no errata loaded, the newer errata kernels
> break ABI), and have very few issues with SCO binaries
> (statically linked) under Linux.
>
> Steer away from Microsoft a.out binaries however, as they
> will not work.

Uhm... Then I suppose my trying to get ABI to work for the
following is somewhat fruitless.

These are currently running on an SCO 505 box:

- Microsoft a.out separate pure segmented word-swapped 386
executable

- Microsoft a.out separate pure segmented word-swapped
pre-SysV 286 executable Large Text Large Data

- iAPX 386 COFF demand-paged executable

.....you popped my balloons! :(

> Just need to make sure that the modules are inserted (as
> Stuart said).  You should be able to get away with just
> these two lines:
>
>     modprobe binfmt_coff
>     modprobe abi-sco
>
> The rest should happen automatically.
>
> bkx
0
news6921 (3)
11/6/2003 1:45:05 PM
> Uhm... Then I suppose my trying to get ABI to work for the
> following is somewhat fruitless.
>
> These are currently running on an SCO 505 box:
>
> - Microsoft a.out separate pure segmented word-swapped 386
> executable
>
> - Microsoft a.out separate pure segmented word-swapped
> pre-SysV 286 executable Large Text Large Data
>
> - iAPX 386 COFF demand-paged executable
>

> ....you popped my balloons! :(

*hide* the last one will work! :P

Sorry.  We have an application of which is using 'Microsoft a.out'
binaries, and after a number of hours, had no luck.

My only suggestion is "try it".  It will eithe work, or it won't.  It
should only take you an hour to set up a 'test' machine (find the old
desktop PC you dun need for a few days, build it up!).

bkx

0
stuart3711 (131)
11/7/2003 2:43:14 AM

>> Uhm... Then I suppose my trying to get ABI to work for the
>> following is somewhat fruitless.
>>
>> These are currently running on an SCO 505 box:
>>
>> - Microsoft a.out separate pure segmented word-swapped 386
>> executable
>>
>> - Microsoft a.out separate pure segmented word-swapped
>> pre-SysV 286 executable Large Text Large Data
>>
>> - iAPX 386 COFF demand-paged executable
>>

>> ....you popped my balloons! :(
>>

> *hide* the last one will work! :P

Yeah well, the last one I don't care if it works, the first 2
are the important ones :(

As you can probably guess, the first 2 are from the xenix
days!

> Sorry.  We have an application of which is using 'Microsoft
> a.out' binaries, and after a number of hours, had no luck.

Were they executing at all?

> My only suggestion is "try it".  It will eithe work, or it
> won't.  It should only take you an hour to set up a 'test'
> machine (find the old desktop PC you dun need for a few
> days, build it up!).

Will do!

Thanks

Marc
0
news6921 (3)

given 5-year old Dell Poweredge 2300 server, SCO Unix, 2x9GB hDD
I was just given a Dell Poweredge 2300 server with 2 x 9.1 GB hard drives, 64MB RAM. It has SCO (version 7, circa 1999) Unix loaded. I know next to nothing about Unix/Linux. I was going to use this as a box to learn Linux. Then eventually use it a production web server LAMP ( Linux, Apache PHP and MySQL). Advice on what to do with it? Stick with SCO or dump it for Linux? Do I need more RAM to run a light-weight production web server that will be database intensive? "NotGiven" <noname@nonegiven.net> wrote in message news:49dpf.12921$kP5.4739@bignews5...

given 5-year old Dell Poweredge 2300 server, SCO Unix, 2x9GB hDD
I was just given a Dell Poweredge 2300 server with 2 x 9.1 GB hard drives. It has SCO (version 7, circa 1999) Unix loaded. I know next to nothing about Unix/Linux. I was going to use this as a box to learn Linux. Then eventually use it a production web server LAMP ( Linux, Apache PHP and MySQL). I don't know how much RAM it has - physically, it has one stick of RAM. Advice on what to do with it? Stick with SCO or dump it for Linux? On Sat, 17 Dec 2005 11:22:06 -0500 "NotGiven" <noname@nonegiven.net> wrote: > I was just given a Dell Poweredge ...

given 5-year old Dell Poweredge 2300 server, SCO Unix, 2x9GB hDD
I was just given a Dell Poweredge 2300 server with 2 x 9.1 GB hard drives, 64MB RAM. It has SCO (version 7, circa 1999) Unix loaded. I know next to nothing about Unix/Linux. I was going to use this as a box to learn Linux. Then eventually use it a production web server LAMP ( Linux, Apache PHP and MySQL). Advice on what to do with it? Stick with SCO or dump it for Linux? Do I need more RAM to run a light-weight production web server that will be database intensive? NotGiven wrote: > I was just given a Dell Poweredge 2300 server with 2 x 9.1 GB hard drives, > 64MB RAM. > It ha...

Getting a good termcap emulation on linux to emulate a sco console
Since the last few posts have been on terminals and emulations I'm going to go ahead and ask this. I have an application (Basis bbx and an MAI Basic) that I have been running on an SCO machine (old - 3.2v4.2) and now I have a Redhat Linux machine running using ABI and my basics work fine. My last step now is to get a decent screen working. I have Cygwin and thus xterm and rxvt and I have used putty. Even worked with Term by Century in the past and usually I would use SCOAnsi as the emulation when talking to the SCO Machine from windows box using say TERM. This would give me fun...

[News] SCO is Microsoft, Microsoft is SCO, SCO Dies, Microsoft Pulls an SCO
Can Microsoft get its $12 million back from SCO? ,----[ Quote ] | Microsoft played matchmaker back in 2003 when SCO needed money to help fund | its lawsuits agains IBM and various other Linux players and customers. | Microsoft suggested that hedge fund BayStar Capital invest $50 million in | SCO. | | Microsoft also backed SCO’s play to convince other vendors and customers to | license SCO’s technology to avoid potential infringement lawsuits. (Maybe | that’s where Microsoft got its patent-licensing ideas ...) | | One of the first companies to snap up two SCO licenses was Microsoft...

SCO Vs Novell: SCO loses Copyright Claims on UNIX
http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=20070810165237718 Hot off the presses: Judge Dale Kimball has issued a 102-page ruling [PDF] on the numerous summary judgment motions in SCO v. Novell. Here it is as text. Here is what matters most: [T]he court concludes that Novell is the owner of the UNIX and UnixWare Copyrights. ...

[News] Exodus at SCO Has Already Begun, SCO Blames Linux
Many filings and information about the fall of SCO... SCO Asks Court to Let it Hire Accounting Temps - Half of its finance dept. fired or quit ,----[ Quote ] | SCO had seven people in the finance department, but after SCO filed for | bankruptcy, "approximately half of the accounting personnel resigned or were | terminated, including the resignation of two accounting personnel, each with | over ten years' experience..." `---- http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=20070917072753835 Red Hat Tells the Court All About SCO's Woes http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?sto...

Problem with compiler for sco unix in Linux
I have an old compiler (microfocus cobol) running under sco unix 3.2.4. Now I use it under RH 8.0 with abi-ibcs, but now I have to change pc and in the new distro with kernel 2.6 there isn't abi-ibcs. How can I do ? There are still kernel patches around but you wil have to patch and build your own kernel. ie: http://www.feise.com/~jfeise/Downloads/linux-abi/ I have used the link below with Debian Sarge http://ace-host.stuart.id.au/russell/files/debian/sarge/kernel-patch-linuxabi/ Glenn pac wrote: > I have an old compiler (microfocus cobol) running under sco unix 3.2.4. > Now...

SCO ANSI terminal emulator for Linux?
Is there a terminal program for Linux that supports SCO ANSI terminal emulation? (SCO ANSI differs from 'standard' VT100-type ANSI.) I've done some searching and so far all I've found is a commercial program costing about $150.00US. -- Roger Blake (Subtract 10s for email.) Roger Blake <rogblake10@iname10.com> wrote: > Is there a terminal program for Linux that supports SCO ANSI terminal > emulation? Doesn't putty do this? Mark. -- Mark Hobley, 393 Quinton Road West, Quinton, BIRMINGHAM. B32 1QE. Roger Blake <rogblake10@iname10.com> wrote: >...

Can SCO Unix application run on Linux?
is it possible? limitation? On 10/13/05 08:14, JackPhil wrote: > is it possible? limitation? > Look for ibcs package. A few years ago it was very popular at my work because we were migrating from SCO Ciao Giovanni -- A computer is like an air conditioner, it stops working when you open Windows. Registered Linux user #337974 <http://counter.li.org/> On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 14:14:18 +0800, JackPhil <allisfree@gmail.com> wrote: >is it possible? limitation? You need a lawyer to protect you from the inevitable lawsuit. -- I'm not really a human, but I...

July 21: SCO to explain royalties that all Linux users must now pay to SCO.
On Monday, July 21st, SCO group will most likey ask all Linux users to pay up. SCO has been threatening to do this since last December. SCO claims that Linux, and all the BSDs, are UNIX derivitives, and since SCO owns UNIX, all Linux users owe royalties to SCO. During the teleconference this Monday SCO will update: "Details about ownership of UNIX intellectual property, copyrights and opportunities for Linux customers" for: "Linux customers who wish to receive clarification from SCO on Linux use." http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT...

Win2k Ras/VPN and a SCO Unix Machine and some difficulty getting to the SCO Machine [LONG]
First let me say I am sorry for the length of this but I wanted to provide as much info as possible. I have a client that has a Compaq system running SCO Unix 5.0.7 system in conjunction with a Win2k System providing VPN access. #uname -X System = SCO_SV Node = theirnode Release = 3.2v5.0.7 KernelID = 2003-02-18 Machine = Xeon BusType = ISA Serial = XXXXXXXXXXX Users = 30 OEM# = 0 Origin# = 1 NumCPU = 1 The bulk of their processing is done via dumb terminal connections but they also have a few in-house workstations connected via ethernet and then DSL access via Windows VPN. There i...

SCO UNIX 3.2.4 vs SCO OS4/5 device driver compatibility
Greetings! The subject pretty much says it all. I've got an ancient SCO 3.2.4 system that must live at least a few years longer. I'm looking into virtualizing it using the QEMU emulator but am having a time finding network card drivers specifically for pre-Open Server versions. The virtualized network device I'm wanting to use is the RTL8029 (PCI ne2000). Any advice, comments or directions would be fantastic. Regards, Stephen Spencer Lawrence, KS Stephen Spencer wrote: > The subject pretty much says it all. I've got an ancient SCO 3.2.4 > system that must live a...

Can SCO Unix application run on Linux? #2
I have some applications run on OpenServer5.x. Unfortunately, i have no source so i cant recompile it. is it possible to migration to the Linux? solution? limitation? ...

Trying to compile putty-0.60 on SCO UNIX 5.0.7 with GCC and SCO Dev
I am trying to compile putty downloaded from http://linux.softpedia.com/progDownload/PuTTY-Download-347.html but get the error below. gcc -g -O2 -Wall -Werror -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DHAVE_X11 -DHAVE_X -DSYSV -Di386 -DS CO325 -D__SCO__ -DHAVE_XAW -DHAVE_SHAPE_EXT -DHAVE_SHAPE -DHAVE_SHM_EXT -DHAVE_X SHM -DHAVE_XCONVERTCASE -I/usr/include/gtk-2.0 -I/usr/lib/gtk-2.0/include -I/usr /include/atk-1.0 -I/usr/include/cairo -I/usr/include/pango-1.0 -I/usr/include/gl ib-2.0 -I/usr/lib/glib-2.0/include -I/usr/include/freetype2 -I/usr/X11R6/include -I.././ -I../charset/ -I../windows/ -I../unix/ -I../mac/...

[News] SCO Pretty Much Lies to Court Again, About Linux and UNIX

[News] GNU/Linux Under Attack from SCO 3 (Apple) and SCO 2 (T3, Partly owned by Microsoft Now)

A Linux/SCO what if?
Lets assume that SCO wins all the marbles - I don't think they have a snowballs chance in hell, but this is a country where you can be sentenced to jail for accepting a bribe that the other person was aquitted of giving. You never know what a court might come up with here. Is Germany, France, Australia, Brazil (Add your favorite country here) going to read the judgement of the US court and suddenly write checks for several billion dollars? What happens when a US marshal with a seizure warrant shows up at AirBus and says, "I am freezing your bank accounts for non-payment of debt.&qu...

SCO found guilty of lying about Unix code in Linux in Germany
http://www.linux-watch.com/news/NS6690846052.html /quote Tarent's managing director told Heise Online that he found "It disconcerting, though not surprising, to see SCO trying to do towards the end what it is really being paid for by its supporters: spreading falsities as disparaging as possible about Linux." Unlike 2003, where Linux companies had to nip things in the bud, exercising vigilance is due now where things are coming to an end: "Even though SCO has reached the end of the line in our opinion, one should not let them get away with this." In a similar case, An...

Unix SCO
Hi ! In SCO Openserver 5.0.6, le size of a file was limited to 2Go. Is it le same in 5.0.7 ? Is there an newest version without this limit ? Thanks for your answers Eric On 10 Dec 2003 04:45:55 -0800, eric.picabia@tiscali.fr (eric) wrote: >Hi ! >In SCO Openserver 5.0.6, le size of a file was limited to 2Go. >Is it le same in 5.0.7 ? >Is there an newest version without this limit ? >Thanks for your answers >Eric Openserver continues to hang onto the 2Gb file size limit in 5.0.7. The upcoming version (code-name "Legend" I believe) due next year will supposedly drop...

SCO Reseller Sues SCO
Well, it had to happen. An SCO reseller is apparently planning to sue SCO over bad business dealings. A suitable analogy might be like a rat eating it's young. http://www.linuxworld.com/story/34018.htm ...

[News] Interview with Linux Expert Jonathan Corbet, the Death of SCO UNIX
Linux guru offers sneak peek at Kernel Report ,----[ Quote ] | Jonathan Corbet is an active kernel contributor, co-founder and president of | Linux development community news site LWN.net, and the lead author of Linux | Device Drivers, Third Edition. His renowned Kernel Report has been presented | to audiences worldwide, and this year in Melbourne will mark his fourth | appearance at Linux.conf.au. Here, Corbet offers Computerworld readers a | sneak peek at the major themes behind this year's Kernel Report. `---- http://www.computerworld.com.au/index.php/id;870609546;fp;4;fpid;...

A 2004 UNIX/Linux Code Comparison for SCO Showed Essentially Nothing
<http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=20110301153719104> <quote> A consultant hired by SCO in 2004 to compare UNIX and Linux, with the thought he could be used as an expert at trial, says that, after days and days, his comparison tool found "very little correlation". When he told that to SCO, it paid him and he never heard from SCO again. Interesting, huh? And how odd that SCO went on to sue folks for alleged copyright infringement even after that happened, don't you think? </quote> Verily I say unto thee, that Hardon spake thusly: ><http://www.gro...

SCO
Sco just sued the Pope In article <ba45dae6.0404271044.26e27c96@posting.google.com> (Tue, 27 Apr 2004 11:44:18 -0700), cervantes wrote: > Sco just sued the Pope SCOX owns the copyright to the Bible? His Holiness Mass reveals SCOX trade secrets? Damnation! ...

Web resources about - SCO emulator for Linux - comp.unix.sco.misc

Emulator - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about emulators in computing . For a line of digital musical instruments, see E-mu Emulator . For the Transformers character, ...

Mac App Store - Opera Mobile Emulator
Get Opera Mobile Emulator on the Mac App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

Genesis emulator in a controller auto launches on Windows PC - YouTube
READ THE DESCRIPTION FOR LINKS AND DETAILS! Down below here. So I made a Genesis emulator in a controller. It is basically a USB Saturn style ...

Nintendo patent hints at official Game Boy emulator for mobile phones
... filed by Nintendo that shows the company is interested in bringing Game Boy titles to mobile devices through emulation technology. Many emulators ...

Video shows MAME Emulator in action on tvOS-based Apple TV
... experimenting with different ways to take advantage of the iOS 9-based tvOS operating system. Developer Kevin Smith has created a MAME Emulator ...

BlueStacks Android emulator lets you use apps on your PC
A new Windows PC program has just hit beta testing that allows Android users to fire up apps on their computers, even the ones they’ve already ...

Microsoft Visual Studio Emulator now supports Android Studio and Eclipse with ADT
Microsoft's Visual Studio Emulator for Android was launched only last November. It was the tech company's attempt at getting developers working ...

Apps of the Week: Pocket Trains, My Wendy's, DraStic DS Emulator and more!
Another week, another great set of app picks from the folks here at Android Central.

Android L 64-bit emulator finally out, only for Intel x86
From Google I/O 2014, we were treated to a preview of Android next OS releases, now known popularly as Android L. Android head honcho Sundar ...

Nostalgic And Awesome: Fully Working TI-83, TI-85, And TI-86 Android Emulators Hit The Market
Sure, there are some excellent calculators in the Android Market, but do any of them make you hesitate for a minute when looking at them to figure ...