SCO emulator for Linux

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

We have an application that was compiled for SCO but because of the FUD
(fear, uncertainty, and doubt - a technique pioneered by MicroShaft)
have been requested to explore moving to a Linux server.  We do not
control the application, nor can we get the vendor to port it for the
indefinite future.

Is there a generally available (GPI) emulator for SCO running on Linux ?
--
bill
Technical Service Systems

unix is user friendly, it is just careful who it befriends

0
Reply nobody22 (665) 9/6/2003 1:16:39 PM

See related articles to this posting

bill wrote:
> We have an application that was compiled for SCO but because of the FUD
> (fear, uncertainty, and doubt - a technique pioneered by MicroShaft)
> have been requested to explore moving to a Linux server.  We do not
> control the application, nor can we get the vendor to port it for the
> indefinite future.
>
> Is there a generally available (GPI) emulator for SCO running on Linux ?

Well, the Linux kernel has some significant-sounding options in the
"Binary emulation of other systems" category:

   SVR3/SVR4 (and derivates) binary emulation support
   UnixWare 7.x binary emulation support
   iBCS2/iABI4 binary emulation support
   SCO OpenServer 5/SCO Unix 3.x/Xenix binary emulation support
   Kernel support for COFF binaries
   Kernel support for x.out binaries

I've never tried any of this.  I read about it once, years ago, and I
vaguely recall that there was some conflict concerning shared libraries
which required you to set the LD_PRELOAD environment variable or
something like that.

As you can imagine, searching the web for "sco" and "linux" yields
thousands of messages, mostly about legal issues.  Here are a few
links that contain some scraps of information about emulation:

   http://www.linuxgazette.com/issue48/tag/40.html
   http://www.matrixlist.com/pipermail/leaplist/2002-March/018794.html
   http://www.matrixlist.com/pipermail/leaplist/2002-March/018795.html
   http://www.mozillaquest.com/Linux03/ScoSource-01_Story01.html
0
Reply skirkendall (26) 9/6/2003 4:21:49 PM

bill <nobody@spamcop.net> wrote in message news:<vljnhd7nrktd1@corp.supernews.com>...
> We have an application that was compiled for SCO but because of the FUD
> (fear, uncertainty, and doubt - a technique pioneered by MicroShaft)
> have been requested to explore moving to a Linux server.  We do not
> control the application, nor can we get the vendor to port it for the
> indefinite future.
>
> Is there a generally available (GPI) emulator for SCO running on Linux ?

Can you explain why they would run an application on an unsupported
(by ap vendor) os that they don't know will work rather than a
supported os (again by ap vendor) that they know works and will work
in the forseeable future even if the os vendor fails to support it?
Long term the ap vendor will port or risk having no place to run in
the future.
The port may however not be to Linux.
After they port dump SCO.
We ported our ap from SCO to Linux a couple of years ago for cost
reasons. It now looks like we were clairvoyant. We are however
advising clients running on
SCO boxes which meet current needs to stay put till there is a
performance or functional reason to change.
IMHO to do otherwise would be FUD.
Regards...dan
JDanSkinner.com
0
Reply JDanSkinner (99) 9/6/2003 8:10:34 PM

On Sat, 06 Sep 2003 13:10:34 -0700, Dan Skinner wrote:

> The port may however not be to Linux.

As in *BSD? How many proprietary apps have native BSD binaries?

--
<knghtbrd> eek, not another one...
<knghtbrd> Seems ever developer and their mother now has a random

0
Reply naesten1 (3) 9/7/2003 4:34:38 AM

Dan Skinner wrote:

> bill <nobody@spamcop.net> wrote in message news:<vljnhd7nrktd1@corp.supernews.com>...
>
>>We have an application that was compiled for SCO but because of the FUD
>>(fear, uncertainty, and doubt - a technique pioneered by MicroShaft)
>>have been requested to explore moving to a Linux server.  We do not
>>control the application, nor can we get the vendor to port it for the
>>indefinite future.
>>
>>Is there a generally available (GPI) emulator for SCO running on Linux ?
>

> Can you explain why they would run an application on an unsupported
> (by ap vendor) os that they don't know will work rather than a
> supported os (again by ap vendor) that they know works and will work
> in the forseeable future even if the os vendor fails to support it?
> Long term the ap vendor will port or risk having no place to run in
> the future.

Sure, they/we are looking 2 years into the future.  I have a hard time
recommending an OS that might be unsupported and not upgradable to new
hardware.  Cost is a strong 2nd reason.

The app vendor has win support only from now on.  I would rather run
under Linux emulation than win !

--
bill
Technical Service Systems
bill (atsign) TechServSys (period) com

unix is user friendly, it is just careful who it befriends

0
Reply nobody22 (665) 9/7/2003 11:27:40 AM

Steve Kirkendall wrote:

> bill wrote:
>
>>We have an application that was compiled for SCO but because of the FUD
>>(fear, uncertainty, and doubt - a technique pioneered by MicroShaft)
>>have been requested to explore moving to a Linux server.  We do not
>>control the application, nor can we get the vendor to port it for the
>>indefinite future.
>>
>>Is there a generally available (GPI) emulator for SCO running on Linux ?
>

> Well, the Linux kernel has some significant-sounding options in the
> "Binary emulation of other systems" category:
>
>    SVR3/SVR4 (and derivates) binary emulation support
>    UnixWare 7.x binary emulation support
>    iBCS2/iABI4 binary emulation support
>    SCO OpenServer 5/SCO Unix 3.x/Xenix binary emulation support
>    Kernel support for COFF binaries
>    Kernel support for x.out binaries
>
> I've never tried any of this.  I read about it once, years ago, and I
> vaguely recall that there was some conflict concerning shared libraries
> which required you to set the LD_PRELOAD environment variable or
> something like that.
>
> As you can imagine, searching the web for "sco" and "linux" yields
> thousands of messages, mostly about legal issues.  Here are a few
> links that contain some scraps of information about emulation:
>
>    http://www.linuxgazette.com/issue48/tag/40.html
>    http://www.matrixlist.com/pipermail/leaplist/2002-March/018794.html
>    http://www.matrixlist.com/pipermail/leaplist/2002-March/018795.html
>    http://www.mozillaquest.com/Linux03/ScoSource-01_Story01.html

Thank you !

Anyone here have any experience running SCO apps under emulation ?
--
bill
Technical Service Systems
bill (atsign) TechServSys (period) com

unix is user friendly, it is just careful who it befriends

0
Reply nobody22 (665) 9/7/2003 11:29:19 AM

On Sat, 06 Sep 2003 09:16:39 -0400, bill <nobody@spamcop.net> wrote:

>We have an application that was compiled for SCO but because of the FUD
>(fear, uncertainty, and doubt - a technique pioneered by MicroShaft)
>have been requested to explore moving to a Linux server.  We do not
>control the application, nor can we get the vendor to port it for the
>indefinite future.
>
>Is there a generally available (GPI) emulator for SCO running on Linux ?

Actually it's quite simple to emulate a SCO OS using Linux:

1) Download archived kernel source (the latter 2.0.x kernels should
suffice)

2) Build the kernel with the absolute bare minimum of drivers - only
network cards and SCSI adaptors from over 5 years ago. No graphics
drivers at all.

3) Reboot!

4) Withdraw a few hundred dollars from your bank account, and set fire
to the bills.

--
FyRE	< "Ready Cursor" >
0

On Sun, 07 Sep 2003 07:29:19 +0000, bill wrote:

> Steve Kirkendall wrote:
>
>> bill wrote:
>>
>>>We have an application that was compiled for SCO but because of the FUD
>>>(fear, uncertainty, and doubt - a technique pioneered by MicroShaft)
>>>have been requested to explore moving to a Linux server.  We do not
>>>control the application, nor can we get the vendor to port it for the
>>>indefinite future.
>>>
>>>Is there a generally available (GPI) emulator for SCO running on Linux ?
>>

>> Well, the Linux kernel has some significant-sounding options in the
>> "Binary emulation of other systems" category:
>>
>>    SVR3/SVR4 (and derivates) binary emulation support UnixWare 7.x
>>    binary emulation support iBCS2/iABI4 binary emulation support
>>    SCO OpenServer 5/SCO Unix 3.x/Xenix binary emulation support Kernel
>>    support for COFF binaries
>>    Kernel support for x.out binaries
>>
>> I've never tried any of this.  I read about it once, years ago, and I
>> vaguely recall that there was some conflict concerning shared libraries
>> which required you to set the LD_PRELOAD environment variable or
>> something like that.
>>
>> As you can imagine, searching the web for "sco" and "linux" yields
>> thousands of messages, mostly about legal issues.  Here are a few links
>> that contain some scraps of information about emulation:
>>
>>    http://www.linuxgazette.com/issue48/tag/40.html
>>    http://www.matrixlist.com/pipermail/leaplist/2002-March/018794.html
>>    http://www.matrixlist.com/pipermail/leaplist/2002-March/018795.html
>>    http://www.mozillaquest.com/Linux03/ScoSource-01_Story01.html
>
> Thank you !
>
> Anyone here have any experience running SCO apps under emulation ?

Actually Caldera at one time was going down this path and we explored it.
It may have been called iBCS, I can't remember.  I think it was dropped
because they had to include the SCO libaries or someting but there was an
entry into SourceForge at the time.  Ancient history now and if your app
vendor can't recompile (we do have a new C compiler out now), my view is
you get a new application.   We have been running production on Linux for
almost four years.........and we do ERP, Distro, Accounting and CRM.  We
have competitors so the old mantra about no apps is bunko.....fdr

0
Reply fdr1 (8) 9/7/2003 5:15:04 PM

bill <nobody@spamcop.net> wrote in message news:<vlm5gsjbc17cfa@corp.supernews.com>...
> Dan Skinner wrote:
>
> > bill <nobody@spamcop.net> wrote in message n Sure, they/we are looking 2 years into the future.  I have a hard time
> recommending an OS that might be unsupported and not upgradable to new
> hardware.  Cost is a strong 2nd reason.
>
> The app vendor has win support only from now on.  I would rather run
> under Linux emulation than win !
> > > The port may however not be to Linux.
> > After they port dump SCO.

In otherwords the ap vendor has ported (Windows as I suspected) and
you are displeased.  Further you think running an already obsolete
emulation of a currently obsolete os 2 years in the future is the best
way for your customer to preserve an investment in the current ap.
Sounds like anti-Microsoft FUD to a dangerous level.  If you feel that
strongly about Windows, something we share, I suggest you find a
replacement ap which meets their needs and runs on your prefered os.
IMHO a hack job is no way to run a mission critical application.  If
it's not mission critical and doesn't meet operating environment
standards, a new ap which does is in order.  AFAIC one finds the
software which best meets requirements then runs it in the environment
it is most happy. The old "If you need to drive a nail, put down the
screw driver and pick up a hammer" applies.  My advice. Don't let a
bias cause you to give bad advice.
Regards...Dan.
0
Reply JDanSkinner (99) 9/7/2003 9:38:15 PM

I used IBCS successfully on Caldera eServer2.3 and successfully ran a legacy
application that ran in XENIX and OSR5.

But when the kernal upgrade took place in Caldera3.1.1 I couldnt get IBCS to
work.

Perhaps someone in this group might be able to enlighten me as well.

"Steve Kirkendall" <skirkendall@dsl-only.net> wrote in message
> bill wrote:
> > We have an application that was compiled for SCO but because of the FUD
> > (fear, uncertainty, and doubt - a technique pioneered by MicroShaft)
> > have been requested to explore moving to a Linux server.  We do not
> > control the application, nor can we get the vendor to port it for the
> > indefinite future.
> >
> > Is there a generally available (GPI) emulator for SCO running on Linux ?
>
> Well, the Linux kernel has some significant-sounding options in the
> "Binary emulation of other systems" category:
>
>    SVR3/SVR4 (and derivates) binary emulation support
>    UnixWare 7.x binary emulation support
>    iBCS2/iABI4 binary emulation support
>    SCO OpenServer 5/SCO Unix 3.x/Xenix binary emulation support
>    Kernel support for COFF binaries
>    Kernel support for x.out binaries
>
> I've never tried any of this.  I read about it once, years ago, and I
> vaguely recall that there was some conflict concerning shared libraries
> which required you to set the LD_PRELOAD environment variable or
> something like that.
>
> As you can imagine, searching the web for "sco" and "linux" yields
> thousands of messages, mostly about legal issues.  Here are a few
> links that contain some scraps of information about emulation:
>
>    http://www.linuxgazette.com/issue48/tag/40.html
>    http://www.matrixlist.com/pipermail/leaplist/2002-March/018794.html
>    http://www.matrixlist.com/pipermail/leaplist/2002-March/018795.html
>    http://www.mozillaquest.com/Linux03/ScoSource-01_Story01.html

0
Reply comms (23) 9/7/2003 10:00:33 PM

bill wrote:

> We have an application that was compiled for SCO but because of the FUD
> (fear, uncertainty, and doubt - a technique pioneered by MicroShaft)
> have been requested to explore moving to a Linux server.  We do not
> control the application, nor can we get the vendor to port it for the
> indefinite future.
>
> Is there a generally available (GPI) emulator for SCO running on Linux ?

I've had mixed experiences.

A good starting point is the ABI project, see :-

http://linux-abi.sourceforge.net/

Basically "simple" binaries seem to work just fine - anything that talks
to hardware directly seems to run into problems (for example I've had
no luck in getting a comms module we've written to work; recompiling it
on Linux directly works fine).

There are unofficial versions of ABI available for newer Linux kernels,
I've got things running just fine here on a 2.4.20 version.

I'd definitely recommend once you get things working though to compile
what you need into the Linux kernel - if only so you don't forget to
load the modules :-) ... the amount of time our production machine
has failed!!

What do you want to run under Linux?

Cheers,

Stuart.

--
More To Life Than This - www.miketramp.com

0
Reply stuart1 (260) 9/7/2003 10:16:02 PM

"Stuart Marshall" <stuart@spidersoft.co.uk> wrote in message
> bill wrote:
>
> > We have an application that was compiled for SCO but because of the FUD
> > (fear, uncertainty, and doubt - a technique pioneered by MicroShaft)
> > have been requested to explore moving to a Linux server.  We do not
> > control the application, nor can we get the vendor to port it for the
> > indefinite future.
> >
> > Is there a generally available (GPI) emulator for SCO running on Linux
?

> I've had mixed experiences.
>
> A good starting point is the ABI project, see :-
>
> http://linux-abi.sourceforge.net/
>
> Basically "simple" binaries seem to work just fine - anything that talks
> to hardware directly seems to run into problems (for example I've had
> no luck in getting a comms module we've written to work; recompiling it
> on Linux directly works fine).
>
> There are unofficial versions of ABI available for newer Linux kernels,
> I've got things running just fine here on a 2.4.20 version.
>
> I'd definitely recommend once you get things working though to compile
> what you need into the Linux kernel - if only so you don't forget to
> load the modules :-) ... the amount of time our production machine
> has failed!!
>
> What do you want to run under Linux?

We use RH8 (no errata loaded, the newer errata kernels break ABI), and have
very few issues with SCO binaries (statically linked) under Linux.

Steer away from Microsoft a.out binaries however, as they will not work.

Just need to make sure that the modules are inserted (as Stuart said).  You
should be able to get away with just these two lines:

    modprobe binfmt_coff
    modprobe abi-sco

The rest should happen automatically.

bkx

0
Reply stuart3711 (131) 9/8/2003 3:18:48 AM

"bill" <nobody@spamcop.net> wrote in message
> We have an application that was compiled for SCO but because of the FUD
> (fear, uncertainty, and doubt - a technique pioneered by MicroShaft)
> have been requested to explore moving to a Linux server.  We do not
> control the application, nor can we get the vendor to port it for the
> indefinite future.
>
> Is there a generally available (GPI) emulator for SCO running on Linux ?

While there was an iBCSII emulator for Linux in the past, I don't know the
status of it today.  I do know that exactly this type of usage, when the SCO
Shared Libraries are required, you're violating the SCO licensing agreement
and stealing their IP.  While this may be what you want to do, I tend to
frown on theft.

By the way, IBM was the original FUD distributor in the computer industry
and continues to be a leader in this field to this day.

--
Jim Sullivan

0
Reply seattlecurler (12) 9/8/2003 5:41:59 AM

"Jim Sullivan" <seattlecurler@comcast.net> wrote in message

> "bill" <nobody@spamcop.net> wrote in message
> > We have an application that was compiled for SCO but because of the FUD
> > (fear, uncertainty, and doubt - a technique pioneered by MicroShaft)
> > have been requested to explore moving to a Linux server.  We do not
> > control the application, nor can we get the vendor to port it for the
> > indefinite future.
> >
> > Is there a generally available (GPI) emulator for SCO running on Linux
?

> While there was an iBCSII emulator for Linux in the past, I don't know
the
> status of it today.  I do know that exactly this type of usage, when the
SCO
> Shared Libraries are required, you're violating the SCO licensing
agreement
> and stealing their IP.  While this may be what you want to do, I tend to
> frown on theft.
>
> By the way, IBM was the original FUD distributor in the computer industry
> and continues to be a leader in this field to this day.

iBCS and iBCS2 are both depricated.  linux-abi is the current project.

0
Reply stuart3711 (131) 9/8/2003 8:14:29 AM

FyRE wrote:

> On Sat, 06 Sep 2003 09:16:39 -0400, bill <nobody@spamcop.net> wrote:
>

>>We have an application that was compiled for SCO but because of the FUD
>>(fear, uncertainty, and doubt - a technique pioneered by MicroShaft)
>>have been requested to explore moving to a Linux server.  We do not
>>control the application, nor can we get the vendor to port it for the
>>indefinite future.
>>
>>Is there a generally available (GPI) emulator for SCO running on Linux ?
>

> Actually it's quite simple to emulate a SCO OS using Linux:
>
> 1) Download archived kernel source (the latter 2.0.x kernels should
> suffice)
>
> 2) Build the kernel with the absolute bare minimum of drivers - only
> network cards and SCSI adaptors from over 5 years ago. No graphics
> drivers at all.
>
> 3) Reboot!
>
> 4) Withdraw a few hundred dollars from your bank account, and set fire
> to the bills.

I love it, do you think I could skip step 4 and just take my wife out
for a really expensive dinner instead ?

--
bill
Technical Service Systems
bill (atsign) TechServSys (period) com

unix is user friendly, it is just careful who it befriends

0
Reply nobody22 (665) 9/8/2003 11:12:49 AM

Jim Sullivan wrote:

> While there was an iBCSII emulator for Linux in the past, I don't know the
> status of it today.  I do know that exactly this type of usage, when the SCO
> Shared Libraries are required, you're violating the SCO licensing agreement
> and stealing their IP.  While this may be what you want to do, I tend to
> frown on theft.

It is (as pr. SCO's own licenses - *not* theft to take the shared
libraries from your old Unix (as long as its been shredded ;-)).
Alternatively you can buy a license for the shared libraries seperately
(afaik). So if you move from SCO to Linux - you should setup ABI and
copy the shared libs (just in case some app or other isn't supported on
your new OS.)

0
Reply kp8747 (23) 9/8/2003 12:30:30 PM

"Jim Sullivan" <seattlecurler@comcast.net> wrote in message news:<BdqcnQKgCLJci8GiU-KYvg@comcast.com>...
> "bill" <nobody@spamcop.net> wrote in message
> > We have an application that was compiled for SCO but because of the FUD
> > (fear, uncertainty, and doubt - a technique pioneered by MicroShaft)
> > have been requested to explore moving to a Linux server.  We do not
> > control the application, nor can we get the vendor to port it for the
> > indefinite future.
> >
> > Is there a generally available (GPI) emulator for SCO running on Linux ?
>
> While there was an iBCSII emulator for Linux in the past, I don't know the
> status of it today.  I do know that exactly this type of usage, when the SCO
> Shared Libraries are required, you're violating the SCO licensing agreement
> and stealing their IP.  While this may be what you want to do, I tend to
> frown on theft.
>
> By the way, IBM was the original FUD distributor in the computer industry
> and continues to be a leader in this field to this day.

True enough. In the 60's and 70's an MIS manager couldn't get fired by
going
IBM. In the 90's and 00's the IT manager is safe with Microsoft.
Neither are/were real technological leaders but were safe and not
hesitant to tell the person with the checkbook how safe they are/were.
Now, running SCO emulation on Linux in order to support a Windows only
application.  That just might get someone fired.
Regards...Dan.

Regards...Dan.
0
Reply JDanSkinner (99) 9/8/2003 8:16:12 PM

On Sun, 07 Sep 2003 07:29:19 -0400, bill <nobody@spamcop.net> wrote:

>Steve Kirkendall wrote:
>
>> bill wrote:
>>
>>>We have an application that was compiled for SCO but because of the FUD
>>>(fear, uncertainty, and doubt - a technique pioneered by MicroShaft)
>>>have been requested to explore moving to a Linux server.  We do not
>>>control the application, nor can we get the vendor to port it for the
>>>indefinite future.
>>>
>>>Is there a generally available (GPI) emulator for SCO running on Linux ?
>>

>> Well, the Linux kernel has some significant-sounding options in the
>> "Binary emulation of other systems" category:
>>
>>    SVR3/SVR4 (and derivates) binary emulation support
>>    UnixWare 7.x binary emulation support
>>    iBCS2/iABI4 binary emulation support
>>    SCO OpenServer 5/SCO Unix 3.x/Xenix binary emulation support
>>    Kernel support for COFF binaries
>>    Kernel support for x.out binaries
>>
>> I've never tried any of this.  I read about it once, years ago, and I
>> vaguely recall that there was some conflict concerning shared libraries
>> which required you to set the LD_PRELOAD environment variable or
>> something like that.
>>
>> As you can imagine, searching the web for "sco" and "linux" yields
>> thousands of messages, mostly about legal issues.  Here are a few
>> links that contain some scraps of information about emulation:
>>
>>    http://www.linuxgazette.com/issue48/tag/40.html
>>    http://www.matrixlist.com/pipermail/leaplist/2002-March/018794.html
>>    http://www.matrixlist.com/pipermail/leaplist/2002-March/018795.html
>>    http://www.mozillaquest.com/Linux03/ScoSource-01_Story01.html
>
>Thank you !
>
>Anyone here have any experience running SCO apps under emulation ?

ABI for Linux so that you can run SCO binaries
http://linux-abi.sf.net

/etc/init.d ABI script
http://sourceforge.net/docman/display_doc.php?docid=10145&group_id=13130

Works well with RH 8 out of the box. I heard they broke ABI on some
kernel updates, so be careful applying the kernel updates.

brian
0
Reply brian384 (33) 9/8/2003 11:44:55 PM

bill <nobody@spamcop.net> wrote:

> Anyone here have any experience running SCO apps under emulation ?

Some years ago (before Informix provided Linux binaries) I ran Informix
Online 5 (+ ISQL + STAR) without any troubles (but I didn't managed it
to make I4GL work.). That was with kernels from the 1.2 and 2.0 series,
I never tried the SCO emulation with newer kernels.

Walter
0
Reply news9602 (9) 9/9/2003 6:06:51 AM

Brian Lavender wrote:

> Works well with RH 8 out of the box. I heard they broke ABI on some
> kernel updates, so be careful applying the kernel updates.

They certainly did; IIRC (and its been a while) the one shipped with
RH8 is fine, but all of the subsequent kernel updates from RH had
ABI broken - and then they pulled it from RH9 completely (still
don't know why - maybe the SCO lawsuit contributed?!).

However, there are patches for 2.4.20 (and 21 though I've got tried
this yet) from http://linux-abi.sourceforge.net/patches/

These need to be patched onto a vanilla kernel though, rather than
the RH supplied one -- what the differences are I'm not sure...

I prefer a cleaner kernel anyway - and I've had 2.4.20 running
perfectly with ABI for a few months now.

Regards,

Stuart.

0
Reply stuart1 (260) 9/9/2003 11:14:42 AM

If you want to use a little different solution, you can always intstall SCO
under Linux using a commercial product such as vmware.  I use this solution
myself to support the few remaining openserver accounts I have.

The drawback to this approach is that you have to first purchase a copy of
vmware and you must have a licensed copy of openserver.  I would be remiss
if I didn't mention that installing openserver under vmware is a real pain
in the ass and is not an officially supported vmware operating system.  You
can find more information at www.vmware.com.

This solution works flawlessly for me.  Your milage may vary.

Regards,
Bruce Collins

For my real e-mail address replace the two with a 2

bill wrote:

> We have an application that was compiled for SCO but because of the FUD
> (fear, uncertainty, and doubt - a technique pioneered by MicroShaft)
> have been requested to explore moving to a Linux server.  We do not
> control the application, nor can we get the vendor to port it for the
> indefinite future.
>
> Is there a generally available (GPI) emulator for SCO running on Linux ?

0
Reply doug11 (2) 9/10/2003 3:07:13 AM

On Sat, 06 Sep 2003 09:16:39 -0400, bill wrote:

> We have an application that was compiled for SCO but because of the FUD
> (fear, uncertainty, and doubt - a technique pioneered by MicroShaft)
> have been requested to explore moving to a Linux server.  We do not
> control the application, nor can we get the vendor to port it for the
> indefinite future.
>
> Is there a generally available (GPI) emulator for SCO running on Linux ?

If the app in question has been ported to Windows, and you can get that
version cheaply enough, you could try using WINE, a userspace hack that
lets you run Windows binaries on x86 Linux.  Of course, a native Linux
solution would still be the best bet.

--
Nucleon, <tcfelker@mtco.com>
<http://vlevel.sourceforge.net> - Stop fiddling with the volume knob.

Curiosity was framed; ignorance killed the cat.

0
Reply tcfelker (97) 9/14/2003 7:35:42 PM

"Stuart J. Browne" <stuart@promed.com.au> wrote in

> "Stuart Marshall" <stuart@spidersoft.co.uk> wrote in
> message news:3f5bade1$0$243$cc9e4d1f@news.dial.pipex.com...
>> bill wrote:
>>
>> > We have an application that was compiled for SCO but
>> > because of the FUD (fear, uncertainty, and doubt - a
>> > technique pioneered by MicroShaft) have been requested
>> > to explore moving to a Linux server.  We do not control
>> > the application, nor can we get the vendor to port it
>> > for the indefinite future.
>> >
>> > Is there a generally available (GPI) emulator for SCO
>> > running on Linux
> ?
>>
>> I've had mixed experiences.
>>
>> A good starting point is the ABI project, see :-
>>
>> http://linux-abi.sourceforge.net/
>>
>> Basically "simple" binaries seem to work just fine -
>> anything that talks to hardware directly seems to run into
>> problems (for example I've had no luck in getting a comms
>> module we've written to work; recompiling it on Linux
>> directly works fine).
>>
>> There are unofficial versions of ABI available for newer
>> Linux kernels, I've got things running just fine here on a
>> 2.4.20 version.
>>
>> I'd definitely recommend once you get things working
>> though to compile what you need into the Linux kernel - if
>> only so you don't forget to load the modules :-) ... the
>> amount of time our production machine has failed!!
>>
>> What do you want to run under Linux?
>
> We use RH8 (no errata loaded, the newer errata kernels
> break ABI), and have very few issues with SCO binaries
> (statically linked) under Linux.
>
> Steer away from Microsoft a.out binaries however, as they
> will not work.

Uhm... Then I suppose my trying to get ABI to work for the
following is somewhat fruitless.

These are currently running on an SCO 505 box:

- Microsoft a.out separate pure segmented word-swapped 386
executable

- Microsoft a.out separate pure segmented word-swapped
pre-SysV 286 executable Large Text Large Data

- iAPX 386 COFF demand-paged executable

.....you popped my balloons! :(

> Just need to make sure that the modules are inserted (as
> Stuart said).  You should be able to get away with just
> these two lines:
>
>     modprobe binfmt_coff
>     modprobe abi-sco
>
> The rest should happen automatically.
>
> bkx
0
Reply news6921 (3) 11/6/2003 1:45:05 PM

> Uhm... Then I suppose my trying to get ABI to work for the
> following is somewhat fruitless.
>
> These are currently running on an SCO 505 box:
>
> - Microsoft a.out separate pure segmented word-swapped 386
> executable
>
> - Microsoft a.out separate pure segmented word-swapped
> pre-SysV 286 executable Large Text Large Data
>
> - iAPX 386 COFF demand-paged executable
>

> ....you popped my balloons! :(

*hide* the last one will work! :P

Sorry.  We have an application of which is using 'Microsoft a.out'
binaries, and after a number of hours, had no luck.

My only suggestion is "try it".  It will eithe work, or it won't.  It
should only take you an hour to set up a 'test' machine (find the old
desktop PC you dun need for a few days, build it up!).

bkx

0
Reply stuart3711 (131) 11/7/2003 2:43:14 AM

>> Uhm... Then I suppose my trying to get ABI to work for the
>> following is somewhat fruitless.
>>
>> These are currently running on an SCO 505 box:
>>
>> - Microsoft a.out separate pure segmented word-swapped 386
>> executable
>>
>> - Microsoft a.out separate pure segmented word-swapped
>> pre-SysV 286 executable Large Text Large Data
>>
>> - iAPX 386 COFF demand-paged executable
>>

>> ....you popped my balloons! :(
>>

> *hide* the last one will work! :P

Yeah well, the last one I don't care if it works, the first 2
are the important ones :(

As you can probably guess, the first 2 are from the xenix
days!

> Sorry.  We have an application of which is using 'Microsoft
> a.out' binaries, and after a number of hours, had no luck.

Were they executing at all?

> My only suggestion is "try it".  It will eithe work, or it
> won't.  It should only take you an hour to set up a 'test'
> machine (find the old desktop PC you dun need for a few
> days, build it up!).

Will do!

Thanks

Marc
0
Reply news6921 (3) 11/7/2003 1:26:46 PM
comp.unix.sco.misc 3930 articles. 1 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Getting a good termcap emulation on linux to emulate a sco console
Since the last few posts have been on terminals and emulations I'm going to go ahead and ask this. I have an application (Basis bbx and an MAI Basic) that I have been running on an SCO machine (old - 3.2v4.2) and now I have a Redhat Linux machine running using ABI and my basics work fine. My last step now is to get a decent screen working. I have Cygwin and thus xterm and rxvt and I have used putty. Even worked with Term by Century in the past and usually I would use SCOAnsi as the emulation when talking to the SCO Machine from windows box using say TERM. This would give me fun...

SCO ANSI terminal emulator for Linux?
Is there a terminal program for Linux that supports SCO ANSI terminal emulation? (SCO ANSI differs from 'standard' VT100-type ANSI.) I've done some searching and so far all I've found is a commercial program costing about $150.00US. -- Roger Blake (Subtract 10s for email.) Roger Blake <rogblake10@iname10.com> wrote: > Is there a terminal program for Linux that supports SCO ANSI terminal > emulation? Doesn't putty do this? Mark. -- Mark Hobley, 393 Quinton Road West, Quinton, BIRMINGHAM. B32 1QE. Roger Blake <rogblake10@iname10.com> wrote: >...

[News] [Linux] Linux Will Have a PSP Emulator
Cross-platform PSP emulator ,----[ Quote ] | Features will include: | | 1. Stable PSP Firmware Emulation | 2. Laptop/Tablet PC Battery Support | 3. 2.0 Web Browser Emulation | 4. Runs PBP Files(Homebrew) | 5. ISO Support(Not At Full Speed) | 6. WiFi Support | | [...] `---- http://macmegasite.com/node/2436 Related: uClinux on the PSP ,----[ Quote ] | I ported uClinux 2.4.19 to the Sony Playstation Portable (PSP) (tm). | Well, Xiptech ported uClinux 2.4.19 to the MIPS architecture, and I | ported that to the PSP. `---- http://df38.dot5hosting.com/~remember/chris/ ...

Linux emulators
What's the current state of the art for an HP49g+ emulator under Linux? I've moved jobs and no longer have access to a Windows machine. Would prefer something running natively under Linux as opposed to wine since we're not really running wine (whine, whine, I know). Thanks. > What's the current state of the art for an HP49g+ emulator under Linux? http://brainaid.de/people/ecd/x49gp/index.html Wait a few days until it is released. TW On Thu, 29 Jun 2006 15:46:29 -0500: > What's the current state of the art for an HP49g+ emulator under Linux= ? Graphing calc...

A Linux/SCO what if?
Lets assume that SCO wins all the marbles - I don't think they have a snowballs chance in hell, but this is a country where you can be sentenced to jail for accepting a bribe that the other person was aquitted of giving. You never know what a court might come up with here. Is Germany, France, Australia, Brazil (Add your favorite country here) going to read the judgement of the US court and suddenly write checks for several billion dollars? What happens when a US marshal with a seizure warrant shows up at AirBus and says, "I am freezing your bank accounts for non-payment of debt.&qu...

Linux Emulation
I'm curious to know the relationship between linux_enable in rc.conf and linux_load in loader.conf. What would be the outcomes of the following four usages? linux_enable="no" linux_load="yes" linux_enable="yes" linux_load="no" linux_enable="yes" (linux_load absent) (linux_enable absent) linux_load="yes" Dom <dom@invalid> wrote: > I'm curious to know the relationship between linux_enable in rc.conf and > linux_load in loader.conf. What would be the outcomes of the following > four usage...

Linux emulator?
Is there a X-Windows / Linux emulator for Microsoft windows. There are a number of applications, including Kpoker, that my wife would like to run on her Microsoft Windows version 98 machine. PS And don't give the dual boot option. She is not ready to switch yet, maybe next year. -- Jerry Perkins http://www.jperkins.us/jerry/ Patrick: VMware 4 will not run on Microsoft Windows version 98. Also the $299 price is a little high. -- Jerry Perkins http://www.jperkins.us/jerry/ Patrick wrote: > Jerry, > > You could try using VMWare. Go to w...

[News] Exodus at SCO Has Already Begun, SCO Blames Linux
Many filings and information about the fall of SCO... SCO Asks Court to Let it Hire Accounting Temps - Half of its finance dept. fired or quit ,----[ Quote ] | SCO had seven people in the finance department, but after SCO filed for | bankruptcy, "approximately half of the accounting personnel resigned or were | terminated, including the resignation of two accounting personnel, each with | over ten years' experience..." `---- http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=20070917072753835 Red Hat Tells the Court All About SCO's Woes http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?sto...

emulating Linux
I am looking for emulators of ARM or PowerPC CPUs that can run Linux ARM/PPC kernels. I am aware of UAE with a MMU patch that can run Linux/m68k on an emulated Amiga, but it requires a copyrighted ROM (kickrom). Eugene Tackleberry wrote: > I am looking for emulators of ARM or PowerPC CPUs that > can run Linux ARM/PPC kernels. ArcEm was originally designed to run ARM Linux (but probably only emulating an ARM2): <http://arcem.sourceforge.net/> I don't think that you'll have much luck with PPC Linux, since PowerPC seems to be one of the least emulated proc...

eMule for linux
I remember time, when i has problem with lmule/xmule for linux. i've been using amule for six months and i don't have any problem. www.amule.org amule is the best client for linux. Please search also on http://rpm.pbone.net choose advanced and choose your operating system (Madrake, redhat, suse, PLD,....) amule 1.2.6 is new. ...

Nine Out of Ten Linux Developers Refute SCO's Linux Lawsuit
NINE Out of Ten Linux Developers Refute SCO's Linux Lawsuit, New ... Business Wire (press release) - USA SANTA CRUZ, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--March 1, 2004--More than 90% of Linux developers don't believe the SCO/Linux lawsuit has any merit, according to the ... <http://home.businesswire.com/portal/index.jsp?epi-content=GENERIC&epi-proce ss=generic_process.jsp&newsId=20040301005233&newsPopup=false&newsLang=en&bea nID=202776713&viewID=news_process_view> -- ----- I can see the furture in your @ss and its full of shit. On Mon, Mar 01, 2004 at 03:22:50P...

July 21: SCO to explain royalties that all Linux users must now pay to SCO.
On Monday, July 21st, SCO group will most likey ask all Linux users to pay up. SCO has been threatening to do this since last December. SCO claims that Linux, and all the BSDs, are UNIX derivitives, and since SCO owns UNIX, all Linux users owe royalties to SCO. During the teleconference this Monday SCO will update: "Details about ownership of UNIX intellectual property, copyrights and opportunities for Linux customers" for: "Linux customers who wish to receive clarification from SCO on Linux use." http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT...

[News] List of Megadrive Emulators for GNU/Linux, Linux Game Publishing (LGP) Still Active

[News] Games for GNU/Linux: New linuX-gamers.net, Megadrive Emulators, Proprietary Games

[News] GNU/Linux Under Attack from SCO 3 (Apple) and SCO 2 (T3, Partly owned by Microsoft Now)

[News] [Linux] Dell's Linux Won't Emulate Windows, Might Go Beyond the US in Future
Ubuntu Founder: No Emulation Software for Dell Systems ,----[ Quote ] | "While Linux is an alternative to Windows, it is not cheap Windows. Linux | has its own strengths, and users should want it because of those | strengths and not because it's a cheap copy of Windows," he said. `---- http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,2125848,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03129TX1K0000616 Dell explains Linux delays ,----[ Quote ] | "We are adjusting the roadmap for the rest of the world, but this has | just not been announced yet," Greffier added. `---- http://news.zdnet.co.uk/hardware/0,1000...

given 5-year old Dell Poweredge 2300 server, SCO Unix, 2x9GB hDD
I was just given a Dell Poweredge 2300 server with 2 x 9.1 GB hard drives, 64MB RAM. It has SCO (version 7, circa 1999) Unix loaded. I know next to nothing about Unix/Linux. I was going to use this as a box to learn Linux. Then eventually use it a production web server LAMP ( Linux, Apache PHP and MySQL). Advice on what to do with it? Stick with SCO or dump it for Linux? Do I need more RAM to run a light-weight production web server that will be database intensive? NotGiven wrote: > I was just given a Dell Poweredge 2300 server with 2 x 9.1 GB hard drives, > 64MB RAM. > It ha...

given 5-year old Dell Poweredge 2300 server, SCO Unix, 2x9GB hDD
I was just given a Dell Poweredge 2300 server with 2 x 9.1 GB hard drives. It has SCO (version 7, circa 1999) Unix loaded. I know next to nothing about Unix/Linux. I was going to use this as a box to learn Linux. Then eventually use it a production web server LAMP ( Linux, Apache PHP and MySQL). I don't know how much RAM it has - physically, it has one stick of RAM. Advice on what to do with it? Stick with SCO or dump it for Linux? On Sat, 17 Dec 2005 11:22:06 -0500 "NotGiven" <noname@nonegiven.net> wrote: > I was just given a Dell Poweredge ...

given 5-year old Dell Poweredge 2300 server, SCO Unix, 2x9GB hDD
I was just given a Dell Poweredge 2300 server with 2 x 9.1 GB hard drives, 64MB RAM. It has SCO (version 7, circa 1999) Unix loaded. I know next to nothing about Unix/Linux. I was going to use this as a box to learn Linux. Then eventually use it a production web server LAMP ( Linux, Apache PHP and MySQL). Advice on what to do with it? Stick with SCO or dump it for Linux? Do I need more RAM to run a light-weight production web server that will be database intensive? "NotGiven" <noname@nonegiven.net> wrote in message news:49dpf.12921$kP5.4739@bignews5...

Xbox emulator for Linux?
Is there an Xbox emulator for Linux? On Sat, 21 Feb 2009 19:55:57 -0800, asdasdas wrote: > Is there an Xbox emulator for Linux? no there isn't. but even if it were it probably shouldn't work properly. buy xbox. they're cheap. ...

SCO-Linux controversies
Source links http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCO-Linux_controversies http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_SCO-Linux_controversies Caldera Linux became SCO EWeek has reported allegations that SCO may have copied parts of the Linux kernel into SCO UNIX as part of its Linux Kernel Personality feature. -- lawsuits -- SCO v. AutoZone SCO v. DaimlerChrysler SCO v. IBM Red Hat v. SCO SCO v. Novell SCO-Linux controversies is a series of legal and public disputes between the software company SCO Group (SCO) and various Linux vendors and users. The code originated from an even older version of UNI...

SCO-Linux a summary
I just thought you might like to see this summary of the SCO-Linux business, it puts it into context around other things, such as Novell's buy up of Suse and IBM's. http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/12.07/linux.html Oh, by the way, own up, which of you sent him the worms? You most NOT pack worms in a cardboard box without supplying them with suitable food for the journey, A full appology to the RSPCW (worms) is called for. I didn't know Darl had a a web site of his own. http://www.darlmcbride.com __/ [ BearItAll ] on Wednesday 06 December 2006 16:19 \__ > I just thoug...

Sco.com ... Linux?
Anyone else know this? http://tuxq.ath.cx/~tuxq/whatthehell.png Is this a False reading? If so, it's the only false reading I've ever recieved from Netcraft. ---------------------------------------- The post originated from Linux Forum: ---------------------------------------- http://www.linuxforum.com http://www.linuxforum.com/forums ...

sco executables on linux
I remember that in the past it was possible to run sco binary a.out on linux ( linux-abi?). It is possible today? Thanks Ioson On Tue, May 12, 2009, ioson wrote: >I remember that in the past it was possible to run sco binary a.out on linux >( linux-abi?). > >It is possible today? We have a few places doing this on SuSE 9.0 Pro which is the most recent version of Linux that I have successfully used. We are generally running these system in VMware virtual machines on CentOS 5 Linux hosts (as are our remaining OpenServer systems). In general, I think it probably makes more ...