SCO emulator for Linux

We have an application that was compiled for SCO but because of the FUD
(fear, uncertainty, and doubt - a technique pioneered by MicroShaft)
have been requested to explore moving to a Linux server.  We do not
control the application, nor can we get the vendor to port it for the
indefinite future.

Is there a generally available (GPI) emulator for SCO running on Linux ?
--
bill
Technical Service Systems

unix is user friendly, it is just careful who it befriends

0
nobody22 (665)

bill wrote:
> We have an application that was compiled for SCO but because of the FUD
> (fear, uncertainty, and doubt - a technique pioneered by MicroShaft)
> have been requested to explore moving to a Linux server.  We do not
> control the application, nor can we get the vendor to port it for the
> indefinite future.
>
> Is there a generally available (GPI) emulator for SCO running on Linux ?

Well, the Linux kernel has some significant-sounding options in the
"Binary emulation of other systems" category:

   SVR3/SVR4 (and derivates) binary emulation support
   UnixWare 7.x binary emulation support
   iBCS2/iABI4 binary emulation support
   SCO OpenServer 5/SCO Unix 3.x/Xenix binary emulation support
   Kernel support for COFF binaries
   Kernel support for x.out binaries

I've never tried any of this.  I read about it once, years ago, and I
vaguely recall that there was some conflict concerning shared libraries
which required you to set the LD_PRELOAD environment variable or
something like that.

As you can imagine, searching the web for "sco" and "linux" yields
thousands of messages, mostly about legal issues.  Here are a few
links that contain some scraps of information about emulation:

   http://www.linuxgazette.com/issue48/tag/40.html
   http://www.matrixlist.com/pipermail/leaplist/2002-March/018794.html
   http://www.matrixlist.com/pipermail/leaplist/2002-March/018795.html
   http://www.mozillaquest.com/Linux03/ScoSource-01_Story01.html
bill <nobody@spamcop.net> wrote in message news:<vljnhd7nrktd1@corp.supernews.com>...
> We have an application that was compiled for SCO but because of the FUD
> (fear, uncertainty, and doubt - a technique pioneered by MicroShaft)
> have been requested to explore moving to a Linux server.  We do not
> control the application, nor can we get the vendor to port it for the
> indefinite future.
>
> Is there a generally available (GPI) emulator for SCO running on Linux ?

Can you explain why they would run an application on an unsupported
(by ap vendor) os that they don't know will work rather than a
supported os (again by ap vendor) that they know works and will work
in the forseeable future even if the os vendor fails to support it?
Long term the ap vendor will port or risk having no place to run in
the future.
The port may however not be to Linux.
After they port dump SCO.
We ported our ap from SCO to Linux a couple of years ago for cost
reasons. It now looks like we were clairvoyant. We are however
advising clients running on
SCO boxes which meet current needs to stay put till there is a
performance or functional reason to change.
IMHO to do otherwise would be FUD.
Regards...dan
JDanSkinner.com
On Sat, 06 Sep 2003 13:10:34 -0700, Dan Skinner wrote:

> The port may however not be to Linux.

As in *BSD? How many proprietary apps have native BSD binaries?

--
<knghtbrd> eek, not another one...
<knghtbrd> Seems ever developer and their mother now has a random

0
naesten1 (3)
9/7/2003 4:34:38 AM
Dan Skinner wrote:

> bill <nobody@spamcop.net> wrote in message news:<vljnhd7nrktd1@corp.supernews.com>...
>
>>We have an application that was compiled for SCO but because of the FUD
>>(fear, uncertainty, and doubt - a technique pioneered by MicroShaft)
>>have been requested to explore moving to a Linux server.  We do not
>>control the application, nor can we get the vendor to port it for the
>>indefinite future.
>>
>>Is there a generally available (GPI) emulator for SCO running on Linux ?
>

> Can you explain why they would run an application on an unsupported
> (by ap vendor) os that they don't know will work rather than a
> supported os (again by ap vendor) that they know works and will work
> in the forseeable future even if the os vendor fails to support it?
> Long term the ap vendor will port or risk having no place to run in
> the future.

Sure, they/we are looking 2 years into the future.  I have a hard time
recommending an OS that might be unsupported and not upgradable to new
hardware.  Cost is a strong 2nd reason.

The app vendor has win support only from now on.  I would rather run
under Linux emulation than win !

--
bill
Technical Service Systems
bill (atsign) TechServSys (period) com

unix is user friendly, it is just careful who it befriends

0
nobody22 (665)
9/7/2003 11:27:40 AM
Steve Kirkendall wrote:

> bill wrote:
>
>>We have an application that was compiled for SCO but because of the FUD
>>(fear, uncertainty, and doubt - a technique pioneered by MicroShaft)
>>have been requested to explore moving to a Linux server.  We do not
>>control the application, nor can we get the vendor to port it for the
>>indefinite future.
>>
>>Is there a generally available (GPI) emulator for SCO running on Linux ?
>

> Well, the Linux kernel has some significant-sounding options in the
> "Binary emulation of other systems" category:
>
>    SVR3/SVR4 (and derivates) binary emulation support
>    UnixWare 7.x binary emulation support
>    iBCS2/iABI4 binary emulation support
>    SCO OpenServer 5/SCO Unix 3.x/Xenix binary emulation support
>    Kernel support for COFF binaries
>    Kernel support for x.out binaries
>
> I've never tried any of this.  I read about it once, years ago, and I
> vaguely recall that there was some conflict concerning shared libraries
> which required you to set the LD_PRELOAD environment variable or
> something like that.
>
> As you can imagine, searching the web for "sco" and "linux" yields
> thousands of messages, mostly about legal issues.  Here are a few
> links that contain some scraps of information about emulation:
>
>    http://www.linuxgazette.com/issue48/tag/40.html
>    http://www.matrixlist.com/pipermail/leaplist/2002-March/018794.html
>    http://www.matrixlist.com/pipermail/leaplist/2002-March/018795.html
>    http://www.mozillaquest.com/Linux03/ScoSource-01_Story01.html

Thank you !

Anyone here have any experience running SCO apps under emulation ?
--
bill
Technical Service Systems
bill (atsign) TechServSys (period) com

unix is user friendly, it is just careful who it befriends

0
nobody22 (665)
9/7/2003 11:29:19 AM
On Sat, 06 Sep 2003 09:16:39 -0400, bill <nobody@spamcop.net> wrote:

>We have an application that was compiled for SCO but because of the FUD
>(fear, uncertainty, and doubt - a technique pioneered by MicroShaft)
>have been requested to explore moving to a Linux server.  We do not
>control the application, nor can we get the vendor to port it for the
>indefinite future.
>
>Is there a generally available (GPI) emulator for SCO running on Linux ?

Actually it's quite simple to emulate a SCO OS using Linux:

1) Download archived kernel source (the latter 2.0.x kernels should
suffice)

2) Build the kernel with the absolute bare minimum of drivers - only
network cards and SCSI adaptors from over 5 years ago. No graphics
drivers at all.

3) Reboot!

4) Withdraw a few hundred dollars from your bank account, and set fire
to the bills.

--
FyRE	< "Ready Cursor" >
0
On Sun, 07 Sep 2003 07:29:19 +0000, bill wrote:

> Steve Kirkendall wrote:
>
>> bill wrote:
>>
>>>We have an application that was compiled for SCO but because of the FUD
>>>(fear, uncertainty, and doubt - a technique pioneered by MicroShaft)
>>>have been requested to explore moving to a Linux server.  We do not
>>>control the application, nor can we get the vendor to port it for the
>>>indefinite future.
>>>
>>>Is there a generally available (GPI) emulator for SCO running on Linux ?
>>

>> Well, the Linux kernel has some significant-sounding options in the
>> "Binary emulation of other systems" category:
>>
>>    SVR3/SVR4 (and derivates) binary emulation support UnixWare 7.x
>>    binary emulation support iBCS2/iABI4 binary emulation support
>>    SCO OpenServer 5/SCO Unix 3.x/Xenix binary emulation support Kernel
>>    support for COFF binaries
>>    Kernel support for x.out binaries
>>
>> I've never tried any of this.  I read about it once, years ago, and I
>> vaguely recall that there was some conflict concerning shared libraries
>> which required you to set the LD_PRELOAD environment variable or
>> something like that.
>>
>> As you can imagine, searching the web for "sco" and "linux" yields
>> thousands of messages, mostly about legal issues.  Here are a few links
>> that contain some scraps of information about emulation:
>>
>>    http://www.linuxgazette.com/issue48/tag/40.html
>>    http://www.matrixlist.com/pipermail/leaplist/2002-March/018794.html
>>    http://www.matrixlist.com/pipermail/leaplist/2002-March/018795.html
>>    http://www.mozillaquest.com/Linux03/ScoSource-01_Story01.html
>
> Thank you !
>
> Anyone here have any experience running SCO apps under emulation ?

Actually Caldera at one time was going down this path and we explored it.
It may have been called iBCS, I can't remember.  I think it was dropped
because they had to include the SCO libaries or someting but there was an
entry into SourceForge at the time.  Ancient history now and if your app
vendor can't recompile (we do have a new C compiler out now), my view is
you get a new application.   We have been running production on Linux for
almost four years.........and we do ERP, Distro, Accounting and CRM.  We
have competitors so the old mantra about no apps is bunko.....fdr

0
fdr1 (8)
9/7/2003 5:15:04 PM
bill <nobody@spamcop.net> wrote in message news:<vlm5gsjbc17cfa@corp.supernews.com>...
> Dan Skinner wrote:
>
> > bill <nobody@spamcop.net> wrote in message n Sure, they/we are looking 2 years into the future.  I have a hard time
> recommending an OS that might be unsupported and not upgradable to new
> hardware.  Cost is a strong 2nd reason.
>
> The app vendor has win support only from now on.  I would rather run
> under Linux emulation than win !
> > > The port may however not be to Linux.
> > After they port dump SCO.

In otherwords the ap vendor has ported (Windows as I suspected) and
you are displeased.  Further you think running an already obsolete
emulation of a currently obsolete os 2 years in the future is the best
way for your customer to preserve an investment in the current ap.
Sounds like anti-Microsoft FUD to a dangerous level.  If you feel that
strongly about Windows, something we share, I suggest you find a
replacement ap which meets their needs and runs on your prefered os.
IMHO a hack job is no way to run a mission critical application.  If
it's not mission critical and doesn't meet operating environment
standards, a new ap which does is in order.  AFAIC one finds the
software which best meets requirements then runs it in the environment
it is most happy. The old "If you need to drive a nail, put down the
screw driver and pick up a hammer" applies.  My advice. Don't let a
bias cause you to give bad advice.
Regards...Dan.
I used IBCS successfully on Caldera eServer2.3 and successfully ran a legacy
application that ran in XENIX and OSR5.

But when the kernal upgrade took place in Caldera3.1.1 I couldnt get IBCS to
work.

Perhaps someone in this group might be able to enlighten me as well.

"Steve Kirkendall" <skirkendall@dsl-only.net> wrote in message
> bill wrote:
> > We have an application that was compiled for SCO but because of the FUD
> > (fear, uncertainty, and doubt - a technique pioneered by MicroShaft)
> > have been requested to explore moving to a Linux server.  We do not
> > control the application, nor can we get the vendor to port it for the
> > indefinite future.
> >
> > Is there a generally available (GPI) emulator for SCO running on Linux ?
>
> Well, the Linux kernel has some significant-sounding options in the
> "Binary emulation of other systems" category:
>
>    SVR3/SVR4 (and derivates) binary emulation support
>    UnixWare 7.x binary emulation support
>    iBCS2/iABI4 binary emulation support
>    SCO OpenServer 5/SCO Unix 3.x/Xenix binary emulation support
>    Kernel support for COFF binaries
>    Kernel support for x.out binaries
>
> I've never tried any of this.  I read about it once, years ago, and I
> vaguely recall that there was some conflict concerning shared libraries
> which required you to set the LD_PRELOAD environment variable or
> something like that.
>
> As you can imagine, searching the web for "sco" and "linux" yields
> thousands of messages, mostly about legal issues.  Here are a few
> links that contain some scraps of information about emulation:
>
>    http://www.linuxgazette.com/issue48/tag/40.html
>    http://www.matrixlist.com/pipermail/leaplist/2002-March/018794.html
>    http://www.matrixlist.com/pipermail/leaplist/2002-March/018795.html
>    http://www.mozillaquest.com/Linux03/ScoSource-01_Story01.html

0
comms (23)
9/7/2003 10:00:33 PM
bill wrote:

> We have an application that was compiled for SCO but because of the FUD
> (fear, uncertainty, and doubt - a technique pioneered by MicroShaft)
> have been requested to explore moving to a Linux server.  We do not
> control the application, nor can we get the vendor to port it for the
> indefinite future.
>
> Is there a generally available (GPI) emulator for SCO running on Linux ?

I've had mixed experiences.

A good starting point is the ABI project, see :-

http://linux-abi.sourceforge.net/

Basically "simple" binaries seem to work just fine - anything that talks
to hardware directly seems to run into problems (for example I've had
no luck in getting a comms module we've written to work; recompiling it
on Linux directly works fine).

There are unofficial versions of ABI available for newer Linux kernels,
I've got things running just fine here on a 2.4.20 version.

I'd definitely recommend once you get things working though to compile
what you need into the Linux kernel - if only so you don't forget to
load the modules :-) ... the amount of time our production machine
has failed!!

What do you want to run under Linux?

Cheers,

Stuart.

--
More To Life Than This - www.miketramp.com

0
stuart1 (260)
9/7/2003 10:16:02 PM
"Stuart Marshall" <stuart@spidersoft.co.uk> wrote in message
> bill wrote:
>
> > We have an application that was compiled for SCO but because of the FUD
> > (fear, uncertainty, and doubt - a technique pioneered by MicroShaft)
> > have been requested to explore moving to a Linux server.  We do not
> > control the application, nor can we get the vendor to port it for the
> > indefinite future.
> >
> > Is there a generally available (GPI) emulator for SCO running on Linux
?

> I've had mixed experiences.
>
> A good starting point is the ABI project, see :-
>
> http://linux-abi.sourceforge.net/
>
> Basically "simple" binaries seem to work just fine - anything that talks
> to hardware directly seems to run into problems (for example I've had
> no luck in getting a comms module we've written to work; recompiling it
> on Linux directly works fine).
>
> There are unofficial versions of ABI available for newer Linux kernels,
> I've got things running just fine here on a 2.4.20 version.
>
> I'd definitely recommend once you get things working though to compile
> what you need into the Linux kernel - if only so you don't forget to
> load the modules :-) ... the amount of time our production machine
> has failed!!
>
> What do you want to run under Linux?

We use RH8 (no errata loaded, the newer errata kernels break ABI), and have
very few issues with SCO binaries (statically linked) under Linux.

Steer away from Microsoft a.out binaries however, as they will not work.

Just need to make sure that the modules are inserted (as Stuart said).  You
should be able to get away with just these two lines:

    modprobe binfmt_coff
    modprobe abi-sco

The rest should happen automatically.

bkx

0
stuart3711 (131)
9/8/2003 3:18:48 AM
"bill" <nobody@spamcop.net> wrote in message
> We have an application that was compiled for SCO but because of the FUD
> (fear, uncertainty, and doubt - a technique pioneered by MicroShaft)
> have been requested to explore moving to a Linux server.  We do not
> control the application, nor can we get the vendor to port it for the
> indefinite future.
>
> Is there a generally available (GPI) emulator for SCO running on Linux ?

While there was an iBCSII emulator for Linux in the past, I don't know the
status of it today.  I do know that exactly this type of usage, when the SCO
Shared Libraries are required, you're violating the SCO licensing agreement
and stealing their IP.  While this may be what you want to do, I tend to
frown on theft.

By the way, IBM was the original FUD distributor in the computer industry
and continues to be a leader in this field to this day.

--
Jim Sullivan

"Jim Sullivan" <seattlecurler@comcast.net> wrote in message

> "bill" <nobody@spamcop.net> wrote in message
> > We have an application that was compiled for SCO but because of the FUD
> > (fear, uncertainty, and doubt - a technique pioneered by MicroShaft)
> > have been requested to explore moving to a Linux server.  We do not
> > control the application, nor can we get the vendor to port it for the
> > indefinite future.
> >
> > Is there a generally available (GPI) emulator for SCO running on Linux
?

> While there was an iBCSII emulator for Linux in the past, I don't know
the
> status of it today.  I do know that exactly this type of usage, when the
SCO
> Shared Libraries are required, you're violating the SCO licensing
agreement
> and stealing their IP.  While this may be what you want to do, I tend to
> frown on theft.
>
> By the way, IBM was the original FUD distributor in the computer industry
> and continues to be a leader in this field to this day.

iBCS and iBCS2 are both depricated.  linux-abi is the current project.

0
stuart3711 (131)
9/8/2003 8:14:29 AM
FyRE wrote:

> On Sat, 06 Sep 2003 09:16:39 -0400, bill <nobody@spamcop.net> wrote:
>

>>We have an application that was compiled for SCO but because of the FUD
>>(fear, uncertainty, and doubt - a technique pioneered by MicroShaft)
>>have been requested to explore moving to a Linux server.  We do not
>>control the application, nor can we get the vendor to port it for the
>>indefinite future.
>>
>>Is there a generally available (GPI) emulator for SCO running on Linux ?
>

> Actually it's quite simple to emulate a SCO OS using Linux:
>
> 1) Download archived kernel source (the latter 2.0.x kernels should
> suffice)
>
> 2) Build the kernel with the absolute bare minimum of drivers - only
> network cards and SCSI adaptors from over 5 years ago. No graphics
> drivers at all.
>
> 3) Reboot!
>
> 4) Withdraw a few hundred dollars from your bank account, and set fire
> to the bills.

I love it, do you think I could skip step 4 and just take my wife out
for a really expensive dinner instead ?

--
bill
Technical Service Systems
bill (atsign) TechServSys (period) com

unix is user friendly, it is just careful who it befriends

0
nobody22 (665)
9/8/2003 11:12:49 AM
Jim Sullivan wrote:

> While there was an iBCSII emulator for Linux in the past, I don't know the
> status of it today.  I do know that exactly this type of usage, when the SCO
> Shared Libraries are required, you're violating the SCO licensing agreement
> and stealing their IP.  While this may be what you want to do, I tend to
> frown on theft.

It is (as pr. SCO's own licenses - *not* theft to take the shared
libraries from your old Unix (as long as its been shredded ;-)).
Alternatively you can buy a license for the shared libraries seperately
(afaik). So if you move from SCO to Linux - you should setup ABI and
copy the shared libs (just in case some app or other isn't supported on
your new OS.)

0
kp8747 (23)
9/8/2003 12:30:30 PM
"Jim Sullivan" <seattlecurler@comcast.net> wrote in message news:<BdqcnQKgCLJci8GiU-KYvg@comcast.com>...
> "bill" <nobody@spamcop.net> wrote in message
> > We have an application that was compiled for SCO but because of the FUD
> > (fear, uncertainty, and doubt - a technique pioneered by MicroShaft)
> > have been requested to explore moving to a Linux server.  We do not
> > control the application, nor can we get the vendor to port it for the
> > indefinite future.
> >
> > Is there a generally available (GPI) emulator for SCO running on Linux ?
>
> While there was an iBCSII emulator for Linux in the past, I don't know the
> status of it today.  I do know that exactly this type of usage, when the SCO
> Shared Libraries are required, you're violating the SCO licensing agreement
> and stealing their IP.  While this may be what you want to do, I tend to
> frown on theft.
>
> By the way, IBM was the original FUD distributor in the computer industry
> and continues to be a leader in this field to this day.

True enough. In the 60's and 70's an MIS manager couldn't get fired by
going
IBM. In the 90's and 00's the IT manager is safe with Microsoft.
Neither are/were real technological leaders but were safe and not
hesitant to tell the person with the checkbook how safe they are/were.
Now, running SCO emulation on Linux in order to support a Windows only
application.  That just might get someone fired.
Regards...Dan.

Regards...Dan.
On Sun, 07 Sep 2003 07:29:19 -0400, bill <nobody@spamcop.net> wrote:

>Steve Kirkendall wrote:
>
>> bill wrote:
>>
>>>We have an application that was compiled for SCO but because of the FUD
>>>(fear, uncertainty, and doubt - a technique pioneered by MicroShaft)
>>>have been requested to explore moving to a Linux server.  We do not
>>>control the application, nor can we get the vendor to port it for the
>>>indefinite future.
>>>
>>>Is there a generally available (GPI) emulator for SCO running on Linux ?
>>

>> Well, the Linux kernel has some significant-sounding options in the
>> "Binary emulation of other systems" category:
>>
>>    SVR3/SVR4 (and derivates) binary emulation support
>>    UnixWare 7.x binary emulation support
>>    iBCS2/iABI4 binary emulation support
>>    SCO OpenServer 5/SCO Unix 3.x/Xenix binary emulation support
>>    Kernel support for COFF binaries
>>    Kernel support for x.out binaries
>>
>> I've never tried any of this.  I read about it once, years ago, and I
>> vaguely recall that there was some conflict concerning shared libraries
>> which required you to set the LD_PRELOAD environment variable or
>> something like that.
>>
>> As you can imagine, searching the web for "sco" and "linux" yields
>> thousands of messages, mostly about legal issues.  Here are a few
>> links that contain some scraps of information about emulation:
>>
>>    http://www.linuxgazette.com/issue48/tag/40.html
>>    http://www.matrixlist.com/pipermail/leaplist/2002-March/018794.html
>>    http://www.matrixlist.com/pipermail/leaplist/2002-March/018795.html
>>    http://www.mozillaquest.com/Linux03/ScoSource-01_Story01.html
>
>Thank you !
>
>Anyone here have any experience running SCO apps under emulation ?

ABI for Linux so that you can run SCO binaries
http://linux-abi.sf.net

/etc/init.d ABI script
http://sourceforge.net/docman/display_doc.php?docid=10145&group_id=13130

Works well with RH 8 out of the box. I heard they broke ABI on some
kernel updates, so be careful applying the kernel updates.

brian
0
brian384 (33)
9/8/2003 11:44:55 PM
bill <nobody@spamcop.net> wrote:

> Anyone here have any experience running SCO apps under emulation ?

Some years ago (before Informix provided Linux binaries) I ran Informix
Online 5 (+ ISQL + STAR) without any troubles (but I didn't managed it
to make I4GL work.). That was with kernels from the 1.2 and 2.0 series,
I never tried the SCO emulation with newer kernels.

Walter
0
news9602 (9)
9/9/2003 6:06:51 AM
Brian Lavender wrote:

> Works well with RH 8 out of the box. I heard they broke ABI on some
> kernel updates, so be careful applying the kernel updates.

They certainly did; IIRC (and its been a while) the one shipped with
RH8 is fine, but all of the subsequent kernel updates from RH had
ABI broken - and then they pulled it from RH9 completely (still
don't know why - maybe the SCO lawsuit contributed?!).

However, there are patches for 2.4.20 (and 21 though I've got tried
this yet) from http://linux-abi.sourceforge.net/patches/

These need to be patched onto a vanilla kernel though, rather than
the RH supplied one -- what the differences are I'm not sure...

I prefer a cleaner kernel anyway - and I've had 2.4.20 running
perfectly with ABI for a few months now.

Regards,

Stuart.

0
stuart1 (260)
9/9/2003 11:14:42 AM
If you want to use a little different solution, you can always intstall SCO
under Linux using a commercial product such as vmware.  I use this solution
myself to support the few remaining openserver accounts I have.

The drawback to this approach is that you have to first purchase a copy of
vmware and you must have a licensed copy of openserver.  I would be remiss
if I didn't mention that installing openserver under vmware is a real pain
in the ass and is not an officially supported vmware operating system.  You
can find more information at www.vmware.com.

This solution works flawlessly for me.  Your milage may vary.

Regards,
Bruce Collins

For my real e-mail address replace the two with a 2

bill wrote:

> We have an application that was compiled for SCO but because of the FUD
> (fear, uncertainty, and doubt - a technique pioneered by MicroShaft)
> have been requested to explore moving to a Linux server.  We do not
> control the application, nor can we get the vendor to port it for the
> indefinite future.
>
> Is there a generally available (GPI) emulator for SCO running on Linux ?

0
doug11 (2)
9/10/2003 3:07:13 AM
On Sat, 06 Sep 2003 09:16:39 -0400, bill wrote:

> We have an application that was compiled for SCO but because of the FUD
> (fear, uncertainty, and doubt - a technique pioneered by MicroShaft)
> have been requested to explore moving to a Linux server.  We do not
> control the application, nor can we get the vendor to port it for the
> indefinite future.
>
> Is there a generally available (GPI) emulator for SCO running on Linux ?

If the app in question has been ported to Windows, and you can get that
version cheaply enough, you could try using WINE, a userspace hack that
lets you run Windows binaries on x86 Linux.  Of course, a native Linux
solution would still be the best bet.

--
Nucleon, <tcfelker@mtco.com>
<http://vlevel.sourceforge.net> - Stop fiddling with the volume knob.

Curiosity was framed; ignorance killed the cat.

0
tcfelker (97)
9/14/2003 7:35:42 PM
"Stuart J. Browne" <stuart@promed.com.au> wrote in

> "Stuart Marshall" <stuart@spidersoft.co.uk> wrote in
> message news:3f5bade1$0$243$cc9e4d1f@news.dial.pipex.com...
>> bill wrote:
>>
>> > We have an application that was compiled for SCO but
>> > because of the FUD (fear, uncertainty, and doubt - a
>> > technique pioneered by MicroShaft) have been requested
>> > to explore moving to a Linux server.  We do not control
>> > the application, nor can we get the vendor to port it
>> > for the indefinite future.
>> >
>> > Is there a generally available (GPI) emulator for SCO
>> > running on Linux
> ?
>>
>> I've had mixed experiences.
>>
>> A good starting point is the ABI project, see :-
>>
>> http://linux-abi.sourceforge.net/
>>
>> Basically "simple" binaries seem to work just fine -
>> anything that talks to hardware directly seems to run into
>> problems (for example I've had no luck in getting a comms
>> module we've written to work; recompiling it on Linux
>> directly works fine).
>>
>> There are unofficial versions of ABI available for newer
>> Linux kernels, I've got things running just fine here on a
>> 2.4.20 version.
>>
>> I'd definitely recommend once you get things working
>> though to compile what you need into the Linux kernel - if
>> only so you don't forget to load the modules :-) ... the
>> amount of time our production machine has failed!!
>>
>> What do you want to run under Linux?
>
> We use RH8 (no errata loaded, the newer errata kernels
> break ABI), and have very few issues with SCO binaries
> (statically linked) under Linux.
>
> Steer away from Microsoft a.out binaries however, as they
> will not work.

Uhm... Then I suppose my trying to get ABI to work for the
following is somewhat fruitless.

These are currently running on an SCO 505 box:

- Microsoft a.out separate pure segmented word-swapped 386
executable

- Microsoft a.out separate pure segmented word-swapped
pre-SysV 286 executable Large Text Large Data

- iAPX 386 COFF demand-paged executable

.....you popped my balloons! :(

> Just need to make sure that the modules are inserted (as
> Stuart said).  You should be able to get away with just
> these two lines:
>
>     modprobe binfmt_coff
>     modprobe abi-sco
>
> The rest should happen automatically.
>
> bkx
0
news6921 (3)
11/6/2003 1:45:05 PM
> Uhm... Then I suppose my trying to get ABI to work for the
> following is somewhat fruitless.
>
> These are currently running on an SCO 505 box:
>
> - Microsoft a.out separate pure segmented word-swapped 386
> executable
>
> - Microsoft a.out separate pure segmented word-swapped
> pre-SysV 286 executable Large Text Large Data
>
> - iAPX 386 COFF demand-paged executable
>

> ....you popped my balloons! :(

*hide* the last one will work! :P

Sorry.  We have an application of which is using 'Microsoft a.out'
binaries, and after a number of hours, had no luck.

My only suggestion is "try it".  It will eithe work, or it won't.  It
should only take you an hour to set up a 'test' machine (find the old
desktop PC you dun need for a few days, build it up!).

bkx

0
stuart3711 (131)
11/7/2003 2:43:14 AM

>> Uhm... Then I suppose my trying to get ABI to work for the
>> following is somewhat fruitless.
>>
>> These are currently running on an SCO 505 box:
>>
>> - Microsoft a.out separate pure segmented word-swapped 386
>> executable
>>
>> - Microsoft a.out separate pure segmented word-swapped
>> pre-SysV 286 executable Large Text Large Data
>>
>> - iAPX 386 COFF demand-paged executable
>>

>> ....you popped my balloons! :(
>>

> *hide* the last one will work! :P

Yeah well, the last one I don't care if it works, the first 2
are the important ones :(

As you can probably guess, the first 2 are from the xenix
days!

> Sorry.  We have an application of which is using 'Microsoft
> a.out' binaries, and after a number of hours, had no luck.

Were they executing at all?

> My only suggestion is "try it".  It will eithe work, or it
> won't.  It should only take you an hour to set up a 'test'
> machine (find the old desktop PC you dun need for a few
> days, build it up!).

Will do!

Thanks

Marc
0
news6921 (3)

Uffie pokes fun at SCO...
The UserFriendly comic strip offers a twist on the recent release of Half Life source code and SCO: http://ars.userfriendly.org/cartoons/?id=20031021 While restarting Outlook, Boomerang grumbled: > The UserFriendly comic strip offers a twist on the recent release of Half > Life source code and SCO: > > http://ars.userfriendly.org/cartoons/?id=20031021 Fuck SCO. -- Windows desktops and servers can find a safe haven on a GNU/Linux/FreeBSD network! On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 00:22:46 -0500, Lin�nut wrote: > While restarting Outlook, Boomerang grumbled: > >> The UserF...

[News] A Look at AjaXplorer for GNU/Linux, Other Great Applications

Battle between Linux Nexus 7 and Linux Kindle
Battle between Linux Nexus 7 and Linux Kindle --------------------------------------------- http://newyork.newsday.com/news/nation/nexus-7-google-tablet-crushes-kindle-jaroslovsky-1.3839120 Hmmm.. Linux wins. Both generating billions of dollars in new sales. Amazon can now go specify an even more powerful Linux computer at a lower price for a bigger market and win even more customers. More developers can develop tons of applications knowing there will be a market for their products. ...

vMace
I need some help implementing traps. If there are any old-timers out there with spare time... ;) http://pmace.sourceforge.net/vmace.html The main page is down right now, but I'm also working on a PowerPC PEF loader for newer classic macintosh applications (~Mac OS 9). Also want to get softpear running OS X intel apps, and then redirect Cocoa calls to GNUstep... then reimplement Apple's API additions. Anyone interested? I am need help! ...

Andy Tanenbaum on "Who wrote Linux?"
Andy wrote a nice piece that touches on the history of Unix, Minix, and Linux: http://www.cs.vu.nl/~ast/brown/ I'll mirror this on my sites when I have time to catch up. - Al -- +----------------------------------+ | Albert S. Woodhull | | Hampshire College, Amherst, MA | | awoodhull@hampshire.edu | | http://minix1.hampshire.edu/asw/ | +----------------------------------+ What didn't you know and when didn't you know it? And interesting discussion here: http://www.osnews.com/comment.php?news_id=7099&limit=no Marek awoodhull@hampshire.edu wrote: ...

Tape unit error message D3 Linux
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0080_01C3EA5C.BF0FCB40 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable :t-select Tape Status 03 Feb 2004 16:04:30 # Type Density Owner Device Name -------------------------------------------------------------------------= ------ 0 | Floppy | 3 1/2" 1.44M | 8*+ | /dev/fd0H1440 1 | Floppy | 3 1/2" 720K | | /dev/fd0H720 2 | compressed | 500K | | /usr/lib/pick/ab...

[News] Linux Sits on Top of Windows
Welcome to Topologilinux.com ! ,----[ Quote ] | Topologilinux is a free Linuxdistribution to be run on top or inside your | existing windows system. The main thing with Topologilinux is that | it does not require any partitioning at all. (uses a single file | as linux root system) Topologilinux is therefore very easy to install. `---- http://www.topologilinux.com/ Perhaps good for practicing, as an alternative to Cygwin, dual-booting, and Live CD's. Windows still cannot run under Linux, unless virtualised. ...

Re: Anybody know sources for Univac 642B info, Emulators, etc.? TIA #2
DuaneCraps.... Thanks for the post/link. I went there and hopefully get approved for access. I worked on Univac 642B's at the Goddard Space Flight Center from 1972 till 1980. Still consider it the best computer I've ever worked on! Wish there was an emulator for it... Joe. --- This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software. http://www.avast.com ...

[News] Top Linux Smartphones List (Android)

Boot LINUX from 2nd HDD in ThinkPAad Ultrabay
Anyone know if one can boot from the 2nd HDD in ThinkPad's Ultrabay 2000 ? If yes, what if the second HDD has a different OS (Linux) ? Basically I want to set up the R40 like this: Primary HDD - XP 2nd HDD - LINUX Is this possible ? Thanks ...

Why Spend a Fortune on a Mac When Linux is Cheaper and Better?
I took a long look at the new Mac's and finally decided that I would purchase an Intel machine and run Linux on it. In fact for what the Mac cost, I could purchase 3 Intel machines! Linux is rock stable, includes all kinds of server tools and 1000's of free programs. So why would anyone want to waste money on a Mac? Horace "Horace Debussy Jones" <jon3120_9ha@lin.net> wrote in post 307usbF2sobdmU1@uni-berlin.de on 11/19/04 9:18 PM: > I took a long look at the new Mac's and finally decided that I would > purchase an Intel machine and run Linux on it. > I...

Linux-->Digital Audio-->The Creative Process.
This is a very complex subject and there really is no right answer that will fit all situations. If we are to explore this topic, we have to first decide exactly what level we are operating on. This is not really as cut and dried as it might seem as the term *professional* is a moving target. If you have ever seen Sting's videos, you will notice that he is often recording in a typical home environment, IOW someone's living room. However, the gear is top quality and the lack of a controlled, acoustically perfect setting is traded off for a more loose setting where possibly the m...

Info WildFire 2.0 **Linux**
Hello. Does anyone know if Wildfire 2.0 runs under Linux with a kernel 2.6.x? TIA. Not according to this PTC document. http://www.ptc.com/WCMS/files/30892en_file1.pdf -- Ben Loosli "-" <none@none.com> wrote in message news:43f84ce3$0$28075$4fafbaef@reader1.news.tin.it... > Hello. > Does anyone know if Wildfire 2.0 runs under Linux with a kernel 2.6.x? > > TIA. > > Just a general point on what Pro/e "runs on": the answer is just about anything. I ran it, maybe 8 years ago, on some Tiger Direct POS with 16 megs of integr...

stand-alone executable as a background process on Linux
Hi, I am trying to execute stand-alone executables generated by Matlab Compiler 4 on a Linux host in the background. However the executable apparently tries to access a tty for some output, even if my program doesn�t create output at all. For example the following simple ;-) matlab program function dummy(n) % don�t do anything compiled with mcc from the matlab command line mcc -m dummy.m produces no output when run normally from a command line after setting the environment: [tcsh] > dummy [tcsh] > but starting it in the background [tcsh] > dummy & results in the foll...

More sloppy Linux code, part IV
Fedora Core 2 KDE 3.2.2-4 RedHat Click on the Help menu item, and it launches the KDE Help Center Under the Contents tab, click on the 13th item - Browse Info Pages, then click By Category. GNU Packages is listed twice, once with Packages capitalized and three topics, and a second time with packages in lower case, with a different topic. The Linux\OSS sloppiness and lack of attention to detail shows all over the place. DFS wrote: > Fedora Core 2 > KDE 3.2.2-4 RedHat > > Click on the Help menu item, and it launches the KDE Help Center > > Under the Contents tab, clic...

java onto the emulator
Hi, I got a winCE emulator and I would know this: is there a way to run onto it a java application? That is, which free java virtual machine [if you know the URL, please tell me] could I install ont the emulator? Thanks in advance jac napisa=B3(a): > I got a winCE emulator and I would know this: is there a way to run ont= o it > a java application? I don't know > That is, which free java virtual machine [if you know the URL, please t= ell Look at this site: http://www.comp.lancs.ac.uk/computing/users/fittond/ppcjava.html -- WIrek ...

emulation of a tape library
hello, do you know if an emulation software exists for make believe to a system that there is a library (lto2, dlt, barcode management, etc...) installed. it's for testing different storage software. thanks Try FalconStor VTL Software. I'm not sure what you have for a disk system but check this out. http://www.falconstor.com/vtl.asp Regards, Rick "mobidyc" <mobidyc@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1133433821.530197.201060@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com... > hello, > > do you know if an emulation software exists for make believe...

[News] SCO is Microsoft, Microsoft is SCO, SCO Dies, Microsoft Pulls an SCO
Can Microsoft get its $12 million back from SCO? ,----[ Quote ] | Microsoft played matchmaker back in 2003 when SCO needed money to help fund | its lawsuits agains IBM and various other Linux players and customers. | Microsoft suggested that hedge fund BayStar Capital invest $50 million in | SCO. | | Microsoft also backed SCO’s play to convince other vendors and customers to | license SCO’s technology to avoid potential infringement lawsuits. (Maybe | that’s where Microsoft got its patent-licensing ideas ...) | | One of the first companies to snap up two SCO licenses was Microsoft...

[News] New GNU/Linux Release: Tiny Core Linux 2.6

SCO remembering old passwords
I am running SCO OpenServer 5.0.7 on a generic box. According to FDA we need to age our passwords every once in a while (they don't specify a specific time period so I used 180 days). My problem is my users alternate between two passwords and according to the FDA regulation this is unacceptable. I need a way to reject 4 to 5 of the most recent used passwords to prevent them from being used repeatedly. Is there a way to accomplish this? Thanks Robert On 26 Feb 2004 23:46:10 GMT, bertwolfe@aol.com (BertWolfe) wrote: >I am running SCO OpenServer 5.0.7 on a generic box. According t...

Linux Frequently Asked Questions with Answers (Part 2 of 6) #96
Archive-Name: linux/faq/part2 URL: http://www.mainmatter.com/ Reply-to: rkiesling@mainmatter.com Posting-Frequency: weekly Last-modified: 12/04/2001 Additionally, here is a certainly incomplete list of Web pages devoted to Linux: * AboutLinux.com: http://www.aboutlinux.com/. * Adventures in Linux Programming: http://members.tripod.com/rpragana/. * Dave Central Linux Software Archive: http://linux.davecentral.com/. * debianHELP http://www.debianhelp.org/. * Erlug Webzine (Italian): http://www.erlug.linux.it/. * Free Unix Giveaway List: http://visar.csustan.edu/giveaway.htm...

form feed on print jobs end(V8.3, SCO Unix)
Hello, running Progress V8.3C11 under SCO unix OSR5.06, Xerox PE120i printer (ethernet LPD connection, using SCO unix remote printer). If I use the 'page-size' option in my progress programs, I always get an empty blank page at the end of the print job. let see the example: output to my_file page-size 60. def var toto as int. do toto = 1 to 125: put "cpt=" toto skip. end. output close. unix silent cat my-file|lp -dPE120 . with this I get 1st page with 1to60, 2nd page with 61to120, 3rd page with 121to125, and a empty blank page. if I comment the 'p...

[News] New GNU/Linux Releases: Ark Linux 2008.1, Clonezilla

SCO Reseller Sues SCO
Well, it had to happen. An SCO reseller is apparently planning to sue SCO over bad business dealings. A suitable analogy might be like a rat eating it's young. http://www.linuxworld.com/story/34018.htm ...

Install and Run Windows Applications in Linux
The article is 'fresh', but it does not add anything new. "Without requiring Microsoft OS CD or license, CrossOver Office v5.0 for Linspire lets users install and run Windows productivity applications as well as plug-ins natively from Linspire desktop Linux OS. It features single-click interface for installing applications, which then integrate directly with Linspire environment. Any documents created with CrossOver Office applications may be opened and edited with other native Linux programs. " http://news.thomasnet.com/fullstory/475776/rss On Thu, 23 Feb 2006 17:48:45 +0...