SCO OpenServe 6.0.0 Filesystem MUCH Faster Than 5.0.6

The speed of the SCO OpenServer 6.0.0 filesystem is quite
noticeably faster than I enjoyed on OpenServer 5.0.6.

How do I know?  I donno, but it feels and seems so.

I didn't expect this, so I didn't make these tests while
still on 5.0.6, but I KNOW I have a lot more files and
directories on 6.0.0 than I did on 5.0.6.

The Verify of my Last Master Backup shows what is on my systen:

     255191 files were encountered
        167 files were excluded
          9 files were not checked because the hard disk file
            had been modified by a program since it was backed up
          2 files were not checked for various reasons
      28870 special files (links, directories, devices, etc.)
     226143 files verified successfully

Master Backups using LONE-TAR(tm) to DVD+RW media ran at about
70-75 MB/min on OSR 5.0.6 but run at 175+ MB/min on 6.0.0, and
if I turn off compression run at 260+ MB/min.

To see how long it takes to search for a non-existant file:

[trebor] ~: time find . -name XPMNYTRE

real    0m58.59s
user    0m1.72s
sys     0m10.96s

And to see how many directories had to be read:

[trebor] ~: find . -type d | wc -l
   23745

Bob

--
Bob Stockler  +-+  bob@trebor.iglou.com  +-+  http://members.iglou.com/trebor
Author: MENU EDIT II - The BEST Creator/Editor/Manager for filePro User Menus.
Fully functional (time-limited) demos available by email request (specify OS).
0
bob2838 (101)

On Fri, Nov 25, 2005 at 11:01:36AM -0500, Bob Stockler wrote:
> The speed of the SCO OpenServer 6.0.0 filesystem is quite
> noticeably faster than I enjoyed on OpenServer 5.0.6.
>
> How do I know?  I donno, but it feels and seems so.
>
> I didn't expect this, so I didn't make these tests while
> still on 5.0.6, but I KNOW I have a lot more files and
> directories on 6.0.0 than I did on 5.0.6.
>
> The Verify of my Last Master Backup shows what is on my systen:
>
>      255191 files were encountered
>         167 files were excluded
>           9 files were not checked because the hard disk file
>             had been modified by a program since it was backed up
>           2 files were not checked for various reasons
>       28870 special files (links, directories, devices, etc.)
>      226143 files verified successfully
>
> Master Backups using LONE-TAR(tm) to DVD+RW media ran at about
> 70-75 MB/min on OSR 5.0.6 but run at 175+ MB/min on 6.0.0, and
> if I turn off compression run at 260+ MB/min.
>
> To see how long it takes to search for a non-existant file:
>
> [trebor] ~: time find . -name XPMNYTRE
>
> real    0m58.59s
> user    0m1.72s
> sys     0m10.96s
>
> And to see how many directories had to be read:
>
> [trebor] ~: find . -type d | wc -l
>    23745
>
> Bob
>
> --
> Bob Stockler  +-+  bob@trebor.iglou.com  +-+  http://members.iglou.com/trebor
> Author: MENU EDIT II - The BEST Creator/Editor/Manager for filePro User Menus.
> Fully functional (time-limited) demos available by email request (specify OS).

The 6.0.0 filesystem IS significantly faster than 5.0.x, but that is
probably not the reason for your faster backups in this instance.

The ATAPI driver in 5.0.x runs only in PIO mode (and not a very fast PIO
mode at that), while the 6.0.0 driver runs in DMA mode, which gets you a
lot closer to the theoretical performance limit of your DVD+RW device/media
combination.

--
Tom
---
Tom Podnar wrote:

> The 6.0.0 filesystem IS significantly faster than 5.0.x, but that is
> probably not the reason for your faster backups in this instance.
>
> The ATAPI driver in 5.0.x runs only in PIO mode (and not a very fast PIO
> mode at that), while the 6.0.0 driver runs in DMA mode, which gets you a
> lot closer to the theoretical performance limit of your DVD+RW device/media
> combination.

Hmmm, the OSR5 IDE driver intends to run in the highest PIO mode
supported by the hardware.  A few years ago I remember observing that
then-current ATAPI CD/DVD writers only supported up to about the
low-middle of the PIO speed range.  If you're seeing OSR5 still using a
slow PIO mode with ATAPI CD/DVD writers, it is almost certainly because
the hardware still limits itself to that speed (for incomprehensible
marketing reasons, or just because they never saw a need to go faster
since "everything" uses UDMA...)

>Bela<
0
filbo (325)
11/26/2005 9:33:45 PM
On Sat, Nov 26, 2005 at 04:33:45PM -0500, Bela Lubkin wrote:
> Tom Podnar wrote:
>
> > The 6.0.0 filesystem IS significantly faster than 5.0.x, but that is
> > probably not the reason for your faster backups in this instance.
> >
> > The ATAPI driver in 5.0.x runs only in PIO mode (and not a very fast PIO
> > mode at that), while the 6.0.0 driver runs in DMA mode, which gets you a
> > lot closer to the theoretical performance limit of your DVD+RW device/media
> > combination.
>
> Hmmm, the OSR5 IDE driver intends to run in the highest PIO mode
> supported by the hardware.  A few years ago I remember observing that
> then-current ATAPI CD/DVD writers only supported up to about the
> low-middle of the PIO speed range.  If you're seeing OSR5 still using a
> slow PIO mode with ATAPI CD/DVD writers, it is almost certainly because
> the hardware still limits itself to that speed (for incomprehensible
> marketing reasons, or just because they never saw a need to go faster
> since "everything" uses UDMA...)
>
> >Bela<

Doesn't matter who gets the blame.

2 years ago (2 Nov 2003) we did extensive testing on different machines,
and our results scaled with CPU speed. We used devices that had
PIO Mode 4.

On our P4 2.67GHz machine back then, we topped out at 2830290 bytes/sec
or 161.95 MB/min with OpenServer, while our 4X Plextor PX-708A (the
fastest device we had at the time) under UnixWare 7.1.3 ran at
5456022 bytes/sec, or 312.2 Mb/min on the same machine.

Tape drives running on the ATAPI bus are also slow, and I suspect for
similar reasons.

All this information was provided to SCO back then, and you saw it
as part of your duties at that time.

I can run a REV vs REV test, since it is currently the fastest ATAPI
device with an MMC bios, but it will just confirm the findings.

The PIO implementation of 5.0.7 is just slow. So is the USB implementation,
although not as bad. But given the mandate to work on this problem or
get OSR6 out the door, I'd have done exactly that same thing as SCO and
gotten OSR6 out the door.

Tom Podnar
0
tom4811 (60)

NFS SCo 5.0.5 with SCO 6.0.0
Hi everybody, I have a folder on SCO 5.0.5 server shared through NFS with a new SCO 6.0.0 with MP2 server (converted from a SCO 5.0.6 version). Before conversion file locks (over network) on this folder works well (eg from server SCO 5.0.6 I was able to see locks generated from SCO 5.0.5 box and viceversa), now with SCO 6.0.0 does not work ! I see that on SCO 6.0.0 the lockd daemon is active .. so it should work ... Please can you help me ? Thanks Cuffiette ...

Looking for precompiled 'rsync" for SCO 5.0.5, 5.0.6 and 5.0.7
I was recommended to use 'rsync' for multi-site transfers. But I have come to find that "rsync" does not exist already in OpenServer 5.0.5, 5.0.6 and 5.0.7. You can only get the "source" files which you "must" compile in order to create the "rsync." These seems to require that you compile these on every level of OpenServer you need. Where / how can I get the 'rsync' binaries already compiled for the levels I need? smlunatick typed (on Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 11:10:53AM -0700): | I was recommended to use 'rsync' for multi-site transfers. But I have | come to find that "rsync" does not exist already in OpenServer 5.0.5, | 5.0.6 and 5.0.7. You can only get the "source" files which you "must" | compile in order to create the "rsync." These seems to require that | you compile these on every level of OpenServer you need. | | Where / how can I get the 'rsync' binaries already compiled for the | levels I need? Get a binary for OSR 5.0.7, and with oss646c, it should run on 5.0.4, 5.0.5, and 5.0.6. Binary afavilable on Brian White's page at www.aljex.com/bkw. -- JP On Aug 18, 7:37=A0pm, Jean-Pierre Radley <j...@jpr.com> wrote: > smlunatick typed (on Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 11:10:53AM -0700): > | I was recommended to use 'rsync' for multi-site transfers. =A0But I hav= e > | come to find that "rsync" does not exist already in OpenSer...

Sco OpenServer upgrading 5.0.6 to 5.0.7
I need some help. I need to upgrade my Sco O.S.506 to 507 and told me that I need to reinstall all the operative system and not the upgrading of it. Is it true ? Thanks in advance and excuse me if before someone alredy answered this query but I do not find anything about this matter bye Roberto Pineapple typed (on Wed, Apr 07, 2004 at 01:39:46PM +0200): | I need some help. | I need to upgrade my Sco O.S.506 to 507 and told me that I need to reinstall | all the operative system and not the upgrading of it. | Is it true ? No. | Thanks in advance and excuse me if before someone alredy answered this query | but I do not find anything about this matter While In-Place Upgrades do now work considerably better than they did a few years ago, I *still* counsel against them. Use my savefiles script, make good backups, and then a fresh install. -- JP "Pineapple" <roberquaNO@SPAMvirgilio.it> wrote in message news:<c50pa5$vri$1@newsreader.mailgate.org>... > I need some help. > I need to upgrade my Sco O.S.506 to 507 and told me that I need to reinstall > all the operative system and not the upgrading of it. > Is it true ? > Thanks in advance and excuse me if before someone alredy answered this query > but I do not find anything about this matter > > bye > Roberto I had same problem, and I was unable to upgrade . Only fresh reinstall was Ok. Pineapple <roberquaNO@spamvirgilio.it> wrote: >I need some help. >I need to...

Reinstalling root filesystem only in SCO OpenServer 6.0.0
Hi all, Let's assume the next situation: SCO OSR 6.0.0 + patches installed in a hard drive with root, stand, u, u2, u3, ... filesystems on it. Filesystem root gets corrupted and it is to necessary reinstall it. Please, can anybody tell me how can I reinstall the root filesystem leaving untouched the other filesystems? This is a clear option when installing OSR 5.0.x, but I've not been able to locate this option in OSR 6.0.0 Many thanks in advance. Best regards, -- Alberto Rodriguez Rodriguez alberto__@__unilogic.es Alberto Rodriguez typed (on Sat, Mar 06, 2010 at 01:17:49PM -0800): | Hi all, | | Let's assume the next situation: | | SCO OSR 6.0.0 + patches installed in a hard drive with root, stand, u, | u2, u3, ... filesystems on it. | | Filesystem root gets corrupted and it is to necessary reinstall it. | | Please, can anybody tell me how can I reinstall the root filesystem | leaving untouched the other filesystems? | | This is a clear option when installing OSR 5.0.x, but I've not been | able to locate this option in OSR 6.0.0 | | Many thanks in advance. Best regards, I always insisted on separate filesystems under OSR 5, but since reinstalling only the root filesystem seems impossible on OSR 6, I stopped making separate filesystems altogether. -- JP On 6 mar, 23:07, Jean-Pierre Radley <j...@jpr.com> wrote: > Alberto Rodriguez typed (on Sat, Mar 06, 2010 at 01:17:49PM -0800): > | Hi all, > | > | Let's assume the next si...

SCO 5.0.5 vs. 6.0
I'm having a new server built: SuperMicro P4SC8 Mother Board Intel P4 3.0Ghz 800 FSB 1GB CPU 73GB 10K 80 PIN SCSI Drive Sony 20/40GB DAT Drive SDT11000/BN DDS4 Adaptec 2010S Card for Mirroring Comtrol Rockport Card 99126-7 Is there any reason I should update my current version of SCO 5.0.5? Frank The following article is a recommendation from SCO when using P4 http://www.sco.com/ta/115963 "FrankS" <fshank@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message news:CqT_f.65026$H71.37215@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com... > I'm having a new server built: > > SuperMicro P4SC8 Mother Board > Intel P4 3.0Ghz 800 FSB 1GB CPU > 73GB 10K 80 PIN SCSI Drive > Sony 20/40GB DAT Drive SDT11000/BN DDS4 > > Adaptec 2010S Card for Mirroring > > Comtrol Rockport Card 99126-7 > > > > Is there any reason I should update my current version of SCO 5.0.5? > > > > Frank > > > > > > FrankS wrote: > I'm having a new server built: > > SuperMicro P4SC8 Mother Board > Intel P4 3.0Ghz 800 FSB 1GB CPU > 73GB 10K 80 PIN SCSI Drive > Sony 20/40GB DAT Drive SDT11000/BN DDS4 > > Adaptec 2010S Card for Mirroring > > Comtrol Rockport Card 99126-7 > > > > Is there any reason I should update my current version of SCO 5.0.5? Frank, OpenServer 5.0.5 is a retired product and is no longer generally supported by SCO. OpenServer 5.0.5 is not designed to work on P4 systems and y...

SCO 5.0.5/5.0.6 bios clock, time zone and synching
Hi All, Does SCO expect the BIOS clock to be set to UTC? Ive got a few SCO boxen spread across a couple of time zones and at the moment, the bios clocks in the servers are set to localtime not UTC. The timezone settings in SCO Admin are also wrong. I was under the impression *nix always expects the BIOS clock to be set to UTC and then the timezone settings in SCO tell the OS what the local time is. This does not seem to be the case for me. On a testing box, Ive set the BIOS clock to UTC, set the correct timezone in scoadmin but the date command in a root shell still gives the wrong time. E...

Upgrading 5.0.5 to 5.0.6/5.0.7
Hi, I've inheirited 3 SCO Servers and need to upgrade one to 5.0.6 from 5.0.5. The other two are at 5.0.6 and I want them all in line. Some questions: 1. Does SCO charge for this upgrade? If so, how much? 2. How easy is the upgrade? 3. Should I go to 5.0.7 instead for all the machines? Thanks, Jon Jon Wynacht typed (on Thu, Sep 02, 2004 at 09:16:17AM -0700): | Hi, | | I've inheirited 3 SCO Servers and need to upgrade one to 5.0.6 from | 5.0.5. The other two are at 5.0.6 and I want them all in line. Some | questions: | | 1. Does SCO charge for this upgrade? If so, how much? >From 5.0.5 Enterprise to 5.0.7 Enterprise, $599. >From 5.0.6 Enterprise to 5.0.7 Enterprise, $369. | 2. How easy is the upgrade? Not hard; be sure to use ftp.jpr.com/pub/savefiles. | 3. Should I go to 5.0.7 instead for all the machines? Yes, and when you order the upgrades, also add in SCO Update, which will eventually bring you all the changes that bring you the Legend release. -- JP Jon Wynacht wrote: > Hi, > > I've inheirited 3 SCO Servers and need to upgrade one to 5.0.6 from > 5.0.5. The other two are at 5.0.6 and I want them all in line. Some > questions: > > 1. Does SCO charge for this upgrade? If so, how much? Of course. See http://aplawrence.com/scoprices.html > 2. How easy is the upgrade? Usually painless, but see http://aplawrence.com/Unixart/upgrades.html > 3. Should I go to 5.0.7 instead for all the machines? Yes, no questi...

#if 0?0?0:0:0
The following 4-lines source fragment test.c (fourth line empty) #if 0?0?0:0:0 #endif int main(void){return 0?0?0:0:0;} cause: test.c(1) : fatal error C1017: invalid integer constant expression when compiled by cl.exe aka "Microsoft (R) 32-bit C/C++ Optimizing Compiler Version 15.00.30729.01 for 80x86". On the other hand this compile and runs fine. #if 0?(0?0:0):0 #endif int main(void){return 0?0?0:0:0;} Did I hit a but it this compiler's preprocessor? Francois Grieu On 3/30/2010 12:47 PM, Francois Grieu wrote: > The following 4-lines source fr...

SCO Open Server 5.0.6 versus 5.0.4
Hi, Anybody can point me to info or can state if there is a performance improvement from running 5.0.6 versus 5.0.4. Application is database access centered. Regards, Marian news wrote: > Hi, > Anybody can point me to info or can state if there is a performance > improvement from running 5.0.6 versus 5.0.4. Application is database access > centered. I don't think you are going to get a useful answer. Let's assume that I could authoritatively say that 5.0.6 has performance related improvements over .4 in certain areas. I can't recall if it does or doesn't, but the release notes would surely mention any. But so what? What does that say about YOUR application? Do we know where its performance issuees are now? Nope. We could assume it's probably disk bound, because that's a pretty safe assumption most any time, but even if true, what have you done for better or worse in that regard already? Maybe this is an Oracle database and you have it running on a RAID 5 system. As that's usually going to be a bad idea, you could gain nothing even if 5.0.6 did otherwise provide features that would otherwise improve your lot. Maybe you have the whole thing improperly tuned. Maybe you have it so perfectly tuned that an upgrade would make it worse because everything is so critically balanced to what you have now.. There are plenty of good reasons to upgrade to 5.0.6/7. If that's what you are lookimg for (a reason to sell the idea to ...

Upgrade OSR 5.0.5 to 5.0.6 or 5.0.7
Hi all, I've two olds servers DELL Poweredge 2300 with Raid PERC, funtionning with OSR 5.0.5. Iwant upgrade the OS to 5.0.6 or 5.0.7 but it seems (sco.com) that the poweredge 2300 is bnot supported after OSR 5.0.5 (Hardware comptatibility). has somebody attempt this with success and which drivers (Raid PERC, Adaptec) are used. Thank you in advance fir the help. ----------------------------------------------------- Andre Georgel Email : andre.georgel@noos.fr "La perfection n'est pas lorsqu'il n'y a plus rien � ajouter, mais lorsque qu'il n'y a plus rien � enlever." "Perfection is not when there is nothing to add, but when there is nothing to remove." (A. de Saint Exupery) ------------------------------------------------------ On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 10:25:06 +0000, Andre Georgel <andre.georgel@mareduspam.com> wrote: >Hi all, > >I've two olds servers DELL Poweredge 2300 with Raid PERC, funtionning >with OSR 5.0.5. > >Iwant upgrade the OS to 5.0.6 or 5.0.7 but it seems (sco.com) that the >poweredge 2300 is bnot supported after OSR 5.0.5 (Hardware >comptatibility). > >has somebody attempt this with success and which drivers (Raid PERC, >Adaptec) are used. > >Thank you in advance fir the help. > >----------------------------------------------------- >Andre Georgel > >Email : andre.georgel@noos.fr > >"La perfection n'est pas lorsqu'il n'y a plus...

Access a SCO 3.0 drive from 5.0.6?
I have an old machine with SCO 3.0 and no networking. I need the data off the IDE drive. I put this drive in a 5.0.6 box that I have and ran mkdev hd, but it would never show the partitions on the drive (I have since put the drive back in the old box and it boots fine.). When the old server boots, it does show /usr mounting as S51K Any ideas on how to get this to work? Do I need to mkdev hd first or can I just access the filesystem directly somehow? I'm lost. Thanks! jf jfranks1970@gmail.com wrote: > I have an old machine with SCO 3.0 and no networking. I need the data > off the IDE drive. I put this drive in a 5.0.6 box that I have and > ran mkdev hd, but it would never show the partitions on the drive (I > have since put the drive back in the old box and it boots fine.). > > When the old server boots, it does show /usr mounting as S51K > > Any ideas on how to get this to work? Do I need to mkdev hd first or > can I just access the filesystem directly somehow? > > I'm lost. > > Thanks! > > jf Does the antique drive have *ANY* networking on its OS? Can you transfer the data over the network, via rcp or tar over an rlogin or somehting? On Fri, Feb 29, 2008, jfranks1970@gmail.com wrote: >I have an old machine with SCO 3.0 and no networking. I need the data >off the IDE drive. I put this drive in a 5.0.6 box that I have and >ran mkdev hd, but it would never show the partitions on the drive (I >...

(= 0/0 0/0)
Hi, shouldn't > (= 0/0 0/0) => NIL or > (= 0/0 0/0) => T instead of giving out division by zero? 0/0 is different from 1/0, which is the non-existent number n such that 1 x n = 0. The actual result of that expression depends of what you think 0/0 is. I personally feel that 0/0 is any number n such that 0 x n = 0, that is all numbers. hal9@cyberspace.org (Hal Niner) writes: > Hi, > > shouldn't > > > (= 0/0 0/0) => NIL > > or > > > (= 0/0 0/0) => T > > instead of giving out division by zero? 0/0 is different fro...

Got Subversion 1.4.6 working on SCO Openserver 5.0.6, woo-hoo!
So it's working. I'd like to get it into one of the repositories, such as http://www.aljex.com/bkw/sco/index.html or into what's left of Skunkware. Does anyone have working tools for building VOL packagas? Or can I send my notes along to one of you repository managers to compile and provide the package? ...

6.0.3 vs 6.0.0.22?
Can anyone give me a link showing what changes have been made in v.6.0.3? I looked on qualcomm's site but couldn't find anything. Basically, is it worth upgrading from v. 6.0.0.22? Ta. JK <moria@castlecrab.com> wrote ... > Can anyone give me a link showing what changes have been made in > v.6.0.3? I looked on qualcomm's site but couldn't find anything. > Basically, is it worth upgrading from v. 6.0.0.22? > > Ta. > > JK Check http://www.eudora.com/download/eudora/windows/6.0.3/RelNotes.txt On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 14:45:37 +0000, moria@castlecrab.com wrote: > Can anyone give me a link showing what changes have been made in > v.6.0.3? I looked on qualcomm's site but couldn't find anything. > Basically, is it worth upgrading from v. 6.0.0.22? It's definitely worth the download/upgrade: <http://www.eudora.com/products/eudora/download/windows.html>. All changes in Eudora 6.x are detailed in the Release Notes, available at: <http://www.eudora.com/download/eudora/windows/6.0.3/RelNotes.txt>. John Gianni Bagni <SpamKiller@nospam.org> wrote: > On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 14:45:37 +0000, moria@castlecrab.com wrote: >> Can anyone give me a link showing what changes have been made in >> v.6.0.3? I looked on qualcomm's site but couldn't find anything. >> Basically, is it worth upgrading from v. 6.0.0.22? > It's definitely wor...

samba-3.0.14Aa-VOLS.cpio on SCO 5.0.6
Will this run on this version of SCO? Where can I find documentation to install it? Brent Bolin wrote: > Will this run on this version of SCO? I guess you mean the one at ftp://ftp2.sco.com/pub/skunkware/osr5/vols/samba-3.0.14Aa-VOLS.cpio On Oct 31, 2007, Bob Troester wrote: I have been using samba 3.0.14Aa on SCO Open Server 5.0.6.a with gwxlibs 2.1.0Ba successfully for several months > Where can I find documentation to install it? What do you mean? VOL files are usually easy to install aren't they? I'd extract the VOL files from cpio archive and use custom to install them. (actually I prefer to use `scoadmin software` but YMMV). man cpio man custom Then I'd read whatever man pages are in the VOLs and/or the samba 3.0 web-site docs. Presumably all the above is known to you and I have missed your real question. If so, sorry. -- RGB On Dec 9, 9:19=A0am, RedGrittyBrick <RedGrittyBr...@spamweary.invalid> wrote: > Brent Bolin wrote: > > Will this run on this version of SCO? > > I guess you mean the one atftp://ftp2.sco.com/pub/skunkware/osr5/vols/sam= ba-3.0.14Aa-VOLS.cpio > > On Oct 31, 2007, Bob Troester wrote: > =A0 =A0 =A0I have been using samba 3.0.14Aa on SCO Open Server 5.0.6.a wi= th > =A0 =A0 =A0gwxlibs 2.1.0Ba successfully for several months > > > Where can I find documentation to install it? > > What do you mean? VOL files are usually easy to install aren't they? >...

IP 0.0.0.0/0
Hi Any useful link that explains this IP address range in details, please? Thanks in advance! The Dude In article <Jp6Hg.458762$IK3.24918@pd7tw1no>, The Dude <The Dude@thedu.de> wrote: >Any useful link that explains this IP address range in details, please? Urrr -- 0.0.0.0/0 is the *entire* IPv4 address range, and 0.0.0.0/32 is just the single IPv4 address 0.0.0.0. For any given network, the lowest address in the network is reserved. Historically, the lowest address was one of the two allowed choices for the broadcast address; later, the broadcast a...

SYbase SQL & SCO OpenServer 5.0.4/5.0.5
Can somone help me with wich SQL versions runs on SCO OSR5.0.4 and SCO OSR 5.0.5? So your the customer SCO still has :-) Sorry.. Couldn't resist ! ASE 10.0.2 was certified on SCO OSR5.0.2 with OS patches SLS 422a, SLS 437a. It wasn't certified on anything higher. ASE 11.0.x was certified on 5.0.4, but nothing higher. Sybase doesn't support 10.x or 11.x any more ...

Trying to compile putty-0.60 on SCO UNIX 5.0.7 with GCC and SCO Dev
I am trying to compile putty downloaded from http://linux.softpedia.com/progDownload/PuTTY-Download-347.html but get the error below. gcc -g -O2 -Wall -Werror -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DHAVE_X11 -DHAVE_X -DSYSV -Di386 -DS CO325 -D__SCO__ -DHAVE_XAW -DHAVE_SHAPE_EXT -DHAVE_SHAPE -DHAVE_SHM_EXT -DHAVE_X SHM -DHAVE_XCONVERTCASE -I/usr/include/gtk-2.0 -I/usr/lib/gtk-2.0/include -I/usr /include/atk-1.0 -I/usr/include/cairo -I/usr/include/pango-1.0 -I/usr/include/gl ib-2.0 -I/usr/lib/glib-2.0/include -I/usr/include/freetype2 -I/usr/X11R6/include -I.././ -I../charset/ -I../windows/ -I../unix/ -I../mac/ -I../macosx/ -c ../ proxy.c cc1: warnings being treated as errors .../proxy.c: In function `proxy_for_destination': .../proxy.c:315: warning: implicit declaration of function `strncasecmp' gmake: *** [proxy.o] Error 1 # My programming skill level tops out at ./configure and make. Searching for instances of strncasecmp in the putty working directory shows: /tmp/putty-0.60/unix # cd .. # find . -type f -print | xargs grep strncasecmp | less ../mac/stricmp.c:#define strncasecmp strnicmp ../mac/stricmp.c:strncasecmp(s1, s2, n) ../unix/unix.h:#define strnicmp strncasecmp (END) In unix/unix.h: #define DEFAULT_CODEPAGE 0xFFFF #define CP_UTF8 CS_UTF8 /* from libcharset */ #define strnicmp strncasecmp #define stricmp strcasecmp /* BSD-semantics version of signal(), and another helpful function */ void (*putty_signal(int sig, void (*func)(int)))(int); void block_si...

Openserver 6.0.0... stty min 0 not acting the same as prior Openserver releases?
Hi there, We receive continuous data from an external device through serial ports. Periodically we flush the port's buffer to get fresh data. As well, with other devices we capture the data using cat with the min set to 0 so we don't hang. On our prior systems 5.0.7, 5.0.6, 5.0.5 we'd set the serial port's min to 0 and then cat the port out to /dev/null to dump any buffered data and then set the min back to 1. stty min 0 < /dev/ttya01 cat /dev/ttya01 >/dev/null stty min 1 < /dev/ttya01 Using 6.0.0 min 0 isn't releasing the cat command as it did in prior Openserver releases, causing my programs to hang. My old server (running SCO 5.0.6) port settings AFTER setting min 0 speed 9600 baud; ispeed 9600 baud; ospeed 9600 baud; line = 0(tty); intr = DEL; quit = ^\; erase = ^H; kill = ^U; eof = ^@; eol = ^@; swtch = <undef>; susp = <undef>; start = ^Q; stop = ^S; -parenb -parodd cs8 -cstopb hupcl cread -clocal -loblk -ortsfl -ctsflow -rtsflow -ignbrk -brkint -ignpar -parmrk -inpck -istrip -inlcr -igncr -icrnl -iuclc -ixon -ixany -ixoff -isig -icanon min = 0 time = 0 -xcase -echo -echoe -echok -echonl -noflsh -iexten -tostop -xclude -opost -olcuc -onlcr -ocrnl -onocr -onlret -ofill -ofdel -isscancode -autoe -ed_emacs -ed_vi -ed_history My new server (running SCO 6.0.0) port settings AFTER setting min 0 speed 9600 baud; min = 0; time = 0; intr = DEL; quit = ^|; erase = ^h; kill = ^u; eof = <undef>; eol = <undef>; eol2...

FAXing from SCO Unix 5.0.6
I'm supporting a SCO Unix 5.0.6 machine. I don't want to spend $1700 on a "fax server solution". Instead, I'm looking for a fax modem for which there are drivers for SCO or generic enough for Unix in general. I also need "fax software" to enable the whole endeavor. All I'm attempting is what is done quite readily in Windows: print to a psuedo-driver which, in turn, invokes the fax s/w that solicits the phone number to fax to and any other required info. I don't need all kinds of fancy options like choices for cover pages, etc. The application used by my client is strictly text-based - no GUI. Any advice for public-domain - or inexpensive - software to accomplish this is much appreciated. Regards, David On Fri, Apr 18, 2008, David wrote: >I'm supporting a SCO Unix 5.0.6 machine. I don't want to spend $1700 on >a "fax server solution". Instead, I'm looking for a fax modem for which >there are drivers for SCO or generic enough for Unix in general. I also >need "fax software" to enable the whole endeavor. > >All I'm attempting is what is done quite readily in Windows: print to a >psuedo-driver which, in turn, invokes the fax s/w that solicits the >phone number to fax to and any other required info. I don't need all >kinds of fancy options like choices for cover pages, etc. The >application used by my client is strictly text-based - no GUI. &g...

SCO Unix 5.0.6, errors
Hi, I am getting the error(s); HTFS: Inode 11915 on HTFS dev hd (1/43) has bad type 000000000000 HTFS: I/O failure occured accessing logical block 477364230 on HTFS dev hd (1/43) and then the system shuts down. Is there any way to fix these? We have done the command 'unix auto' at the Boot: prompt and it goes through its file system checks and appears to correct some problems. We have had some corruption on the database but were able to fix the problems. Our next plan of action is to clone the drive, but if anyone has any other suggestions for a way to fix this issue I would appreciate it. Lori Calkins It would help if you'd provided disk information, such as how many partitions. I'm guessing from what you provided that the problem is on the root partition. By default 5.0.6 doesn't check the root file system on an auto boot. What you're seeing is the file system checks on the rest of the partitions. When you get the Boot: prompt just press enter. Eventually you'll be prompted for the root password to enter maintenance mode. Do that. Then type fsck / Ray Robert Three Star Software Lori wrote: > Hi, > I am getting the error(s); > > HTFS: Inode 11915 on HTFS dev hd (1/43) has bad type 000000000000 > HTFS: I/O failure occured accessing logical block 477364230 on HTFS dev > hd (1/43) > > and then the system shuts down. > > Is there any way to fix these? We have done the command 'unix auto' at >...

0.0**0 = ?
I'm wondering if 0.0**0 (as opposed to 0.0**0.0) has the value 1 as per fortran standard or if this is left to the compiler vendors (different vendors do different things, unhappily). Thanks, Joost Joost VandeVondele wrote: > I'm wondering if 0.0**0 (as opposed to 0.0**0.0) has the value 1 as > per fortran standard or if this is left to the compiler vendors > (different vendors do different things, unhappily). > > Thanks, > > Joost Surely, 0.0**0.0 is mathematically undefined? Therefore, I wouldn't expect the standard to make any pronouncement about the ...

OpenServer 6.0.0
SCO has now opened a Web page regarding OpenServer 6.0.0: http://www.thescogroup.com/products/openserver6 -- JP ...

ACDSystems.ACDSee.v6.0.6.PowerPack.WinALL, and Addons ( 2D Vector Pak v1.0, FotoAngelo v2.0.2, FotoCanvas v2.0, FotoSlate v3.0, ImageFox 2.0, mPower Tools 1.0.2, Photostitcher Plug-in v1.0.6, Classic
ACDSystems.ACDSee.v6.0.6.PowerPack.WinALL, and Addons ( 2D Vector Pak v1.0, FotoAngelo v2.0.2, FotoCanvas v2.0, FotoSlate v3.0, ImageFox 2.0, mPower Tools 1.0.2, Photostitcher Plug-in v1.0.6, Classic 2.44, Canvas v9.0.4 Build 820, HotDog Junior v2.0.1, Morpheus ACD Plugin v1.85, RealOptimizer Pro ACD plug-in v1.8, Realview 3D Pro ACD plug-in v2.6 ), new !, other ACDSystems.ACDSee.v6.0.6.PowerPack.WinALL ACD Systems 2D Vector Pak v1.0 ACD Systems ACD FotoAngelo v2.0.2 ACD Systems ACD FotoCanvas v2.0 ACD Systems ACD FotoSlate v3.0 ACD Systems ACD ImageFox 2.0 ACD Systems ACD mPower Tools 1.0.2 ACD Systems ACD Photostitcher Plug-in v1.0.6 ACD Systems ACDSee Classic 2.44 ACD Systems Canvas v9.0.4 Build 820 ACD Systems HotDog Junior v2.0.1 ACD Systems Morpheus ACD Plugin v1.85 ACD Systems RealOptimizer Pro ACD plug-in v1.8 ACD Systems Realview 3D Pro ACD plug-in v2.6 ACD Systems ACDSee Classic 2.44 ACD Systems Canvas v9.0.4 Build 820 ---------------------------- Jasc Paint Shop Pro 9.0 CD NR 16 314 JASC PAINT SHOP PHOTO ALBUM V5.0 15 554 Jasc.Paint.Shop.Pro.v8.0.Addon.Friends.of.Ed.Paint.Shop.Pro.8.Zero.to.Hero.eBook ---------------------------- CorelDraw Graphics Suite 12 [3 CDs], ADOBE CREATIVE SUITE PREMIUM INTERNAL [5 CDs] (WIN/MAC), Adobe InDesign CS PageMaker Edition (c) Adobe Systems [2 CDs], Quark Xpress v6.1, Addons, Extensions, Plugins, Gallery(s), 11/Aug/2004 Adobe InDesign CS PageMaker Edition...

Web resources about - SCO OpenServe 6.0.0 Filesystem MUCH Faster Than 5.0.6 - comp.unix.sco.misc

Filesystem in Userspace - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Filesystem in Userspace ( FUSE ) is an operating system mechanism for Unix-like computer operating systems that lets non-privileged users create ...

Under the Hood: Hadoop Distributed Filesystem reliability with Namenode and Avatarnode - Facebook
Facebook Engineering hat eine Notiz mit dem Titel Under the Hood: Hadoop Distributed Filesystem reliability with Namenode and Avatarnode geschrieben. ...

XFS: Recent and Future Adventures in Filesystem Scalability - Dave Chinner - YouTube
Filesystems are being asked to scale to larger configurations every week. They need to store more files, larger amounts of data and be able to ...

Former Google engineer revs up a new Linux filesystem
An ex-Googler is writing a file system, Bcachefs, to match the speed of traditional Linux file systems with the advanced scalability and reliability ...

Opinion: Why a visible filesystem in iOS is key if the iPad Pro is to be a true PC replacement
... Jobs Continue reading more about Apple Inc , Steve Jobs , and Opinion at 9to5Mac . What do you think? Discuss "Opinion: Why a visible filesystem ...

P2P-like Tahoe filesystem offers secure storage in the cloud
Tahoe is a secure cloud filesystem that is licensed under the GPL. Its …

Bcachefs is a new speed-focus Linux filesystem from Kent Overstreet
... Kent Overstreet a little over five years ago. Now the Linux kernel block layer cache is being used as the basis for a new open source filesystem. ...

Filesystem Metadata Doesn't Scale
Metadata tucked away inside a binary file.. isn't. But Windows Media Player doesn't care a whit about my painstakingly constructed file names ...

iPhone Hackers: "we have owned the filesystem"
The kooky hacking kids over at IRC channel #iphone claim to have gained full ownership of the iPhone filesystem. In an update titled 'How to ...

Red Hat Releases RHEL 7 With New Filesystem, Docker Support
After three and a half years in development, a major milestone update for Red Hat Enterprise Linux, Red Hat's flagship Linux platform, debuts. ...