The beginning of the end, or the end of the beginning?

http://www.sltrib.com/ci_4747497

0
nobody7 (214)

The beginning of the end, almost certainly.  The cases will drag on
into 2008 irrespective, but I'd be very surprised if SCO itself doesn't
gone into administration during 2007.  They must be almost out of cash
by now, and all their assets are probably owed to Novell anyway.

We should know more about the cash situation in a couple of weeks.

0
jezlinux (4)
12/3/2006 2:24:30 PM

On Sun, 3 Dec 2006, jezlinux wrote:

> The beginning of the end, almost certainly.  The cases will drag on
> into 2008 irrespective, but I'd be very surprised if SCO itself doesn't
> gone into administration during 2007.  They must be almost out of cash
> by now, and all their assets are probably owed to Novell anyway.
>
> We should know more about the cash situation in a couple of weeks.

Unfortunately, all we will know is what SCO's cash position was at the end
of September. Not what it is now.

I expect we will also know if Bob Mimm's rumours of layoffs were correct.

0
jd531 (40)
12/3/2006 10:22:24 PM
Update: SCO closed at 93 cents today, well below the $1 NASDAQ minimum
listing requirement.

0
jezlinux (4)
12/8/2006 10:39:02 PM
On Fri, Dec 08, 2006, jezlinux wrote:
>Update: SCO closed at 93 cents today, well below the $1 NASDAQ minimum
>listing requirement.

User Friendly has some good ones this week on this subject:

	http://ars.userfriendly.org/cartoons/?id=20061206

	http://ars.userfriendly.org/cartoons/?id=20061207

Bill
--
INTERNET:   bill@Celestial.COM  Bill Campbell; Celestial Software LLC

The difference between science and the fuzzy subjects is that science
requires reasoning while those other subjects merely require scholarship.
                -- Robert Heinlein
0
bill5504 (467)

the beginning of the end for SCO
IBM Takes New Tack in SCO Legal Battle Steven J. Vaughan-Nichols Aug 17 2004 IBM is trying to knock out SCO's Linux intellectual property claims with a new tactic. [...] "The focus of IBM's motion is not on the Unix System V code that SCO claims IBM copied. It is instead on source code that IBM claims was developed independently, is not subject to copyright infringement claims, and so (says IBM) can freely be contributed to Linux." IBM does not say, however, that it actually had contributed any code to Linux. [Kelly Talcott - Kirkpatrick & Lockhart] This also means...

LaTeX Error: \begin{document} ended by \end{indented}.
Dear all, I got this error message, when I was compiling my .tex: LaTeX Error: \begin{document} ended by \end{indented}. The output seems to be okay, though. Any hint? Best Regards, Zulfikar Dharmawan "Zulfikar Dharmawan" <zulfikar.dharmawan@gmail.com> writes: >I got this error message, when I was compiling my .tex: > LaTeX Error: \begin{document} ended by \end{indented}. > >The output seems to be okay, though. Any hint? there's an isolated \end{indented} in your document (one not matched by \begin{indented}, that is). text after the \end{indented} will have been lost, which seems to contradict your "output ok" assertion... not knowing what editor you use in development, it's hard to suggest techniques; something as simple as searching for "{indented}" might be good enough. backward search from the line number given in the error message would be a start. -- Robin Fairbairns, Cambridge "Zulfikar Dharmawan" <zulfikar.dharmawan@gmail.com> wrote: > I got this error message, when I was compiling my .tex: > LaTeX Error: \begin{document} ended by \end{indented}. > > The output seems to be okay, though. Any hint? The hint is the error message text. Your environments are not nested properly. (\begin{indented} is missing.) Yours sincerely Heiko <oberdiek@uni-freiburg.de> On Mar 26, 2:58 am, "Zulfikar Dharmawan" <zulfikar.dharma...@gmail.com> wrote: > Dear a...

joke: LaTeX Error: \Begin{document} ended by \end{document}.
\documentclass{article} \begin{document} \def\else{Ha! Ha!} \end{document} Hello! When running the example above, I get the following message: LaTeX Error: \Begin{document} ended by \end{document}. Well. OK. Why is this an error? Regards Ulrich "Ulrich Diez" <ulrich.diez@alumni.uni-tuebingen.de> writes: > \documentclass{article} > \begin{document} > \def\else{Ha! Ha!} > \end{document} > > Hello! > > When running the example above, I get the following message: > > LaTeX Error: \Begin{document} ended by \end{document}. > > Well. OK. Why is this an error? Because you broke LaTeX. Use \newcommand\else{Oops} and find out. Hell, you get bogus "Extra }" errors from fragile commands in moving arguments, without even breaking LaTeX itself. Some other attractive command names are \box, \output, \above, \count, \day, \if, \mark, \number, \over, \read, ... all of which are fundamental TeX commands, used internally. -- Donald Arseneau asnd@triumf.ca Donald Arseneau <asnd@triumf.ca> writes: > > Well. OK. Why is this an error? > Because you broke LaTeX. OK, I did understand the posting to be somewhat tongue-in-cheek (or "cheeky") but I didn't notice the "subject" or realize it was a straight-out joke. Sorry to be a rube. In my defence, I've been typing "less secure" in ernest today. -- Donald Arseneau ...

the beginning of the end?
Hmmm. As a Mac user since 1986 or so, and a guy that loves new stuff, and is one of those early adopters, Lion is the first new OS that I haven't wanted. That bothers me. surely I should be drooling over its new features, and keen to install it on my iMac and MacBook Pro ASAP. But I dont want it - In particular I dont like the idea of not having a 'save as' feature, something I use a lot and need. Sometimes I need to save copies in different formats, to different places on my Macs. And although I use my iPhone and my iPad every day, I dont want to swite on my Macs, and ...

The beginning of the end
Greetings, Why is Microsoft so hysterical about Linux? http://www.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=03/11/10/1919237&mode=thread&tid=17&tid=85 "SUNNYVALE, Calif., Nov. 10, 2003 MontaVista Software, Inc., the company powering the embedded revolution today announced that MontaVista� Linux� Professional Edition is the chosen operating system (OS) for Sharp Corporations (TS:6753) HG-01S (also known as Galileo), a home digital information server. The HG-01S is the core product in Sharps vision of a connected ubiquitous home network, and can be connected to devices such as...

LaTeX Error: \begin{section} on input line 377 ended by \end{document}.
Newbie question here. I've written a report and when I compile it I get LaTeX Error: \begin{section} on input line 377 ended by \end{document}. Nevertheless, the output seems to be okay. Am I making a mistake here? Thanks! "Steven Endres" <stevenendres@comcast.net> writes: > Newbie question here. I've written a report and when I compile it I get > LaTeX Error: \begin{section} on input line 377 ended by \end{document}. > Nevertheless, the output seems to be okay. Am I making a mistake here? Odd... I never knew about any "section" environment. What's this? You do not want to start a section (chapter, section, subsection, ...) this way, do you? Where have you leanrt about this "\begin{section}" from? Would you send out an example of your latex document? *Guldo* I found the problem. I was using \begin{chapter}{Chapter_name} and \begin{section}(Section_name} instead of \chapter{Chapter_name} and \section{Section_name} But surprisingly everything worked-table of contents, etc. was all fine except for the error message. Thanks! "Steven Endres" <stevenendres@comcast.net> wrote in message news:prPAb.53024$_M.251787@attbi_s54... > Newbie question here. I've written a report and when I compile it I get > LaTeX Error: \begin{section} on input line 377 ended by \end{document}. > Nevertheless, the output seems to be okay. Am I making a mistake here? > > Thanks! > > Steven End...

beginning and ending of a month
Is there an easy way to determine that a date is withing a particular month of a year? On Jun 7, 9:21 am, william kossack <wskoss...@comcast.net> wrote: > Is there an easy way to determine that a date is withing a particular > month of a year? Welllll the easiest way is a simple if statement with the between dates... (using > < etc..); But it reallys depends on how robust/ automated you want your program to be... Example if you want to flag Oct2007 obs... (if you only want to output then use 'then output;') see below.. Remember you asked for the easiest way! no do...

The beginning of the end for google?
The beginning of the end for google? ------------------------------------ Google has just 'innocently' agreed to skew search results from not showing up popular sites for media content to please Hollywood. This innocent move effectively puts 3rd parties in control of the google search results. The very same thing that killed all other search engines because their politics and revenue streams directly interfered with search results leading to search results that have no connection to end user expectations. If 3rd parties are now in charge of google's search results, I have no taste for it, and go elsewhere for my search results. If google can be bought, what's to say micorshaft or some other company doesn't slip it a billion dollars to skew search results in their favor. Its worth more than that!!!!!!!!!!!!!! First to be hit are going to be the .orgs and freedom projects that have low budgets to ward off this kind of evil. 7 wrote: > Google has just 'innocently' agreed > to skew search results from not showing up > popular sites for media content to please > Hollywood. -------------------------------------------------- http://bit.ly/RIKUfK When assigning search result rankings, Google will now take reports of copyright violation into account. The goal is to give better placement to sites that publish content they either own or have legally licensed, and penalize those that use content...

The Beginning of the End for Microsoft
Contrary to what most people believe, the Beginning of the End for Microsoft will NOT start by events unfolding in the United States but in the European Union, the most powerfull economic block in the world. The Beginning will be marked by the day that the European Commission announces that henceforth ALL personal computers sold in the EU must be sold seperately from the operating system. From that day on, Microsoft will lose at least half of all new sales to Linux and support for the Linux operating system by ISV's will increase markedly. Huge competition breaks out between Linux vendors...

The beginning of the end for MS
SEATTLE - Microsoft Corp. said on Thursday that its quarterly profit and revenue rose thanks to strong sales of personal computers. The Redmond, Washington-based company reported a net profit of $2.69 billion, or 25 cents per share, for its fourth fiscal quarter ended June 30, compared with a profit of $1.48 billion, or 14 cents per share, a year earlier. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5489825/ DFS comments: Earnings are up only 82% from the same quarter a year ago?!?!? Horrible! They're dying for sure. It's only a matter of time. You all saw it coming, years ago. The end is nea...

Temporaries
Sorry about this, but its driving me up the wall. First some code: typedef unsigned int size_t; struct AddOp { template<class I1, class I2> static inline float call(size_t i, const I1& i1, const I2& i2) { return i1[i] + i2[i]; } }; struct MultOp { template<class I1, class I2> static inline float call(size_t i, const I1& i1, const I2& i2) { return i1[i] * i2[i]; } }; class Expr { float data; public: Expr(float arg_data) : data(arg_data) {} float operator[](size_t i) const {return data;} }; template<class I1, class I2, class Op> class Expr3 { const I1& i1; const I2& i2; public: Expr3(const I1& ai1, const I2& ai2) : i1(ai1), i2(ai2) { } float operator[](size_t i) const { return Op::call(i, i1, i2); } template<class E> Expr3<Expr3, E, AddOp> operator+(const E& e) const { return Expr3<Expr3, E, AddOp>(*this, e); } }; struct Vec4 { Vec4(float all) : x(all), y(all), z(all), w(all) { } Vec4(float ax, float ay, float az, float aw = 1) : x(ax), y(ay), z(az), w(aw) { } float x, y, z, w; float operator[](size_t i) const { switch(i) { case 0: return x; case 1: return y; case 2: return z; case 3: return w; default: return 0xdeadbeef; } // HACKHACKHACK :-) // return (&x)[i] } const Vec4& operator=(float arg) { x = y = z = w = arg; return *this; } Expr3<Vec4, Expr, MultOp> operator*(float e) const { // **** r...

Begin-End matching in IDLDE?
Does anyone know if there's a way to automatically match BEGIN-END blocks in IDLDE? I'm using 8.1. There was a Vim plugin that claimed to do this too but I wasn't able to get it working. As we've all done from time to time, I have a big piece of code that won't compile now because I must've deleted an END statement somewhere in the middle of it... Thanks, -Henry On 10/13/2011 7:55 AM, Henry Throop wrote: > Does anyone know if there's a way to automatically match BEGIN-END > blocks in IDLDE? I'm using 8.1. There was a Vim plugin that claimed to > do this too but I wasn't able to get it working. > > As we've all done from time to time, I have a big piece of code that > won't compile now because I must've deleted an END statement somewhere > in the middle of it... > > Thanks, > -Henry The short answer is no, unfortunately. The WB does bracket- and parenthesis-matching, though, so this would be a good feature to add. The tangential answer (which is not applicable here) is the WB provides code templates which stub out control statement blocks. I have a short demo video here: http://www.ittvis.com/portals/0/webinar/workbench-templates-1/code-templates-using.html mp On Oct 13, 6:55=A0am, Henry Throop <henry.thr...@gmail.com> wrote: > Does anyone know if there's a way to automatically match BEGIN-END > blocks in IDLDE? I'm using 8.1. There was a Vim plugin that claimed to >...

begin traversal at the end of a list?
I was wondering if it was possible to begin traversal at the end of a list without first using reverse to reverse the list and then doing the traversal. If applying reverse to the list is the only way to technically begin traversal at the end of the list, then let me know. Thanks. On 28 Mar 2007 06:23:19 -0700 meratech@gmail.com wrote: > I was wondering if it was possible to begin traversal at the end of a > list without first using reverse to reverse the list and then doing > the traversal. If applying reverse to the list is the only way to > technically begin traversal at the ...

The NWO Files
[Illuminati, Freemason, Lucifer, satan, 666, NWO, Skull and Bones] Subject: THE BEGINNING OF THE END Title: The New World Order Files Author: David Allen Rivera ENDTIME BIBLE STUDY The Prophetic Trigger of God's Timeline For hundreds of years, it has been common knowledge within the Church, that mankind's life span upon this earth would be 6,000 years. This was gleaned from Exodus 20:9-10, which says: "Six days shalt thou labor...But the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord thy God." Like many things in the Scriptures, it had a deeper meaning beyond what was being conve...

Re: Beginning (was end) of an Era
Better late than never! (and who says he is late?) At least he is learning a real computer system at last :-) MPEiX, TurboIMAGE, KSAMXL, VPLUS forever (and a day or two....) !!!! Brian. On Tue, 8 Jul 2008 08:32:16 -0700, donna hofmeister <donna@ALLEGRO.COM> w= rote: >an alternative would be: > >http://docs.hp.com/en/32650-90421/32650-90421.pdf > >of course there is always: http://docs.hp.com/en/mpeixall.html >(but that can be a bit overwhelming) > >michael may get up and running faster by asking his questions to this au= gust >(ev...

Beginning of the End for AT&T
by Ross Wehner, The Denver Post DENVER -- AT&T's shareholders -- at what will probably be their last meeting -- are expected to approve a $16 billion merger with SBC Communications in Denver on Thursday, forming the largest telecommunications company in the nation. The deal, together with the upcoming Verizon-MCI merger, represents an unprecedented consolidation of the telecom industry. Both deals are expected to gain regulatory approval in the next six months to a year. Denver-based Qwest dropped out of a bidding war for MCI last month after the MCI board rebuffed it four times in favor of lower bids from Verizon. "Qwest faces added pressure after losing MCI," said Standard & Poor's analyst Todd Rosenbluth. "Qwest is on the outside looking in at a soon-to-be-consolidated telecom market." Here's what the new telecom landscape will look like: SBC and Verizon will be able to compete in Qwest's territory for business customers by offering the two most far-reaching national telecommunications networks. They could poach Qwest's residential customers by bundling wireless and long distance. They could offer Internet phone service over Qwest's DSL lines at the same time as cable companies like Comcast also are munching on Qwest's broadband customers. SBC and Verizon already own the two largest wireless operations in the United States and control nearly two-thirds of local phone lines na...

begin() & end() in STL
Hi, here's my problem: Are you allowed to decrement an iterator that points to the begin() of a container? If so, what does it equal then? Code example: typedef set<int> intset; intset s; intset::iterator t; s.insert(3); s.insert(4); s.insert(1); s.insert(14); t = s.begin(); t--; I know there's a basic asymmetry between begin() and end(): begin() points to the *first* element of a container, but end() points *past* the last element. This asymmetry is somewhat inconvenient for me, because I'm writing a routine that starts fr...

BEGIN & END blocks
I find this behavior of the BEGIN and END block to be rather strange: [gus@comp tests]$ cat BEGIN.rb #! /usr/bin/ruby BEGIN { puts("General begin") } END { puts("General end") } puts("Main") if $0 == __FILE__ BEGIN { puts("Protected begin") } END { puts("Protected end") } end [gus@comp tests]$ ruby BEGIN.rb General begin Protected begin Main Protected end General end So far, so good. [gus@comp tests]$ cat test_BEGIN.rb load 'BEGIN.rb' [gus@comp tests]$ ruby test_BEGIN.rb General begin Protected begin Main General end There...

Begin ... end macro question
Consider two forms of expressing the sqrt of a+b in TeX: $$\sqrt{a+b}$$ \def\expr{a+b} \def\beginsqrt{\sqrt{} \def\endsqrt{}} $$\beginsqrt\expr\endsqrt$$ Results are different. Q: how should the begin and end macros be defined so that the results coalesce? Thanks. carlos@colorado.edu wrote, On 2012-05-16 09:52: > Consider two forms of expressing the sqrt of a+b in TeX: > > $$\sqrt{a+b}$$ > > \def\expr{a+b} > \def\beginsqrt{\sqrt{} > \def\endsqrt{}} > $$\beginsqrt\expr\endsqrt$$ > > Results are different. Q: how should the begin and end macros > be defined so that the results coalesce? Thanks. erh, can you actually define a macro like \def\beginsqrt{\sqrt{} I would think that it complains about unbalanced {}'s, apparently not This works better: \def\beginsqrt{\sqrt\bgroup} \def\endsqrt{\egroup} -- /daleif (remove RTFSIGNATURE from email address) Memoir and mh bundle maintainer LaTeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq LaTeX book: http://www.imf.au.dk/system/latex/bog/ (in Danish) Remember to post minimal examples, see URL below http://www.minimalbeispiel.de/mini-en.html On 2012-05-16, carlos@colorado.edu <carlos@colorado.edu> wrote: > Consider two forms of expressing the sqrt of a+b in TeX: > > $$\sqrt{a+b}$$ > > \def\expr{a+b} > \def\beginsqrt{\sqrt{} > \def\endsqrt{}} > $$\beginsqrt\expr\endsqrt$$ > > Results are different. Q: how should the begin and end macros > be defin...

Match BEGIN/END Statements
Does anyone know of a good text editor (shareware or freeware) than can match BEGIN and END statements in a SQL script. I'm editing a script that I got from someone else. It's about 1000 lines of code and difficult to follow. It would be nice if I could see how the BEGIN and END statements lined up. Thanks, Brian The latest version of JOE (http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/joe-editor) can do this: you hit ^G on the BEGIN and it will jump to the END, and vice-versa. You have to define the word delimiters in the joerc file. I don't have them for SQL script, b...

\begin{cases}...\end{cases}
Is there an \IF or similar construct one can use in this environment as eg \[ f(x) = \begin{cases} 1 \IF x \equiv 2 \bmod 4\\ .... \end{cases} \] If not, wouldn't it save a lot of time if there were? -- Timothy Murphy e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366 s-mail: School of Mathematics, Trinity College, Dublin 2, Ireland Timothy Murphy <gayleard@eircom.net> wrote: > Is there an \IF or similar construct one can use in this environment > as eg > \[ > f(x) = > \begin{cases} > 1 \IF x \equiv 2 \bmod 4\\ > ... > \end{cases} > \] > > If not, wouldn't it save a lot of time if there were? Nothing prevents you from defining it: \newcommand{\IF}{&\text{if }} By the way, \bmod is wrong there; either \pmod{4} or \pod{4}; \bmod is for "binary mod operation", \pmod{4} prints "(mod 4)" and \pod{4} prints "mod 4" (without parentheses). Spacing is right only with \pmod or \pod. Ciao Enrico Timothy Murphy wrote, On 2011-10-31 14:25: > Is there an \IF or similar construct one can use in this environment > as eg > \[ > f(x) = > \begin{cases} > 1 \IF x \equiv 2 \bmod 4\\ > ... > \end{cases} > \] > > If not, wouldn't it save a lot of time if there were? > no, and no then one would have to make sure it is localised. Not everyone write .... if ... some just write .... x >0 etc. But feel free to add your own interface -- /d...

Beginning for Beginning Beginners
I occasionally become motivated to dabble in programming, just to the point of getting a particular task done, and am wondering where I should start. I am generally more interested in the ends rather than the means. I want to work with what is available with Panther on the XCode CD, and am intrigued by Tigers Automator. I wouldn't mind putting a minimal GUI framework on some old UNIX code. My programming history as a non-programmer....... I did take a pascal course way back when, and remember getting an assignment or two done well... the toughest part at that time was se...

coeffiecients of the begining and of the end of graph
hi, i've got some points (x,y) - they are coeffiecients of a graph. graph can be partly linear and partly non-linear. what i'm trying to find are points(x0,y0) of the begining of the graph and points of the end of graph. i cannot use min/max because it is not said that for example x0,y0 will be min(x) and max(y). and it is not like x0=x(1), y0=y(1)... i hope i wrote clearly what my problem is. In article <fukj7l$3g8$1@fred.mathworks.com>, misty m. <donotspam@smth.be> wrote: >i've got some points (x,y) - they are coeffiecients of a >graph. gr...

end to end testing
when doing end to end testing wheather we stop the testing and contact some other testing? anand4180 wrote: > when doing end to end testing wheather we stop the testing and > contact some other testing? You never stop testing. You "analyze" (meaning "guess") how much of each kind to do, and then you release whenever the program passes all tests and has new features. And most of your tests should be automated. Again, you "analyze" to discover how many. -- Phlip http://www.greencheese.us/ZeekLand <-- NOT a blog!!! On Mar 17, 6:13 am, "anand4180" <anand...@gmail.com> wrote: > when doing end to end testing wheather we stop the testing and > contact some other testing? I hope I understood your question correctly and you are asking about when one end-to-end test ends and another begins. This is not a trivial question. I prefer to look at the end-to-end testing as the modeling of real user behavior. In order to build an effective end-to- end test one needs to look at the system functions in a whole. For example, if you are testing a text editor try the following sequences for end-to-end testing: 1. Create new file -> Write text -> Change some text -> Save -> Change some text -> Print -> Close the file -> Verify changes. 2. Open existing file -> change some text -> save changes -> open another existing file -> find and replace -> print -> save -> close. Usua...

Web resources about - The beginning of the end, or the end of the beginning? - comp.unix.sco.misc

Belgian nuclear guard shot and security access badge stolen: media
Reuters Belgian nuclear guard shot and security access badge stolen: media Reuters BRUSSELS Two days after bomb attacks at Brussels airport ...

Matt Taibbi's Case Against Hillary Clinton Is Surprisingly Weak
Long post ahead. Sorry. I think I've made it clear that I generally support Hillary Clinton over Bernie Sanders in the Democratic race. I don't ...

‘Batman V Superman’ Box Office Hits $80 Million On Friday, Expected To Reach $169 Million By Sunday
Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice is finally in theaters, and while it may unfortunately be getting trashed by several critics, the movie is ...

Bernie Sanders hopes to score wins in West
Reuters Bernie Sanders hopes to score wins in West Reuters Three states are holding Democratic presidential nominating contests on Saturday ...

TIPPING OFF: 4 games, 4 upsets in women's Sweet 16
BRIDGEPORT, Conn. (AP) — What a wild night in the women's NCAA Tournament. Four games, four upsets.

Slowing mobile videos a savvy tactic for Netflix
Netflix Inc. has long framed itself as the good guy in the fight against Internet service providers — Chief Executive Reed Hastings has described ...

Apple Music just got a new feature on Android that’s not coming to iOS any time soon
Not long ago, Apple brought its Apple Music app to Android. Having to compete with established powerhouses like Spotify and Pandora, Apple knew ...

Kaley Cuoco Writes Touching Tribute to the Late Ken Howard
Kaley Cuoco goes shopping at a CVS store in her workout gear on Wednesday (March 23) in Reseda, Calif. The 30-year-old Big Bang Theory actress ...

Jerks were able to turn Microsoft's chatbot into a Nazi because it was a really crappy bot
Microsoft Research deployed a tween-simulating chatbot this week, only to recall it a few hours later because it had turned into a neo-Nazi, ...

Google warn Gmail users of ‘government backed attacks’ after supporting Apple's privacy case
Google will now provide full-page warning with instructions about how these users can stay safe. The company said it will also be increasing ...