Upgrade from 5.0.7 to 6.0

I need to upgrade a system from Open Server 5.0.7 to 6.0.  All of the
customer's data is in /u which currently is not a separately mounted
file system.

Will the upgrade to 6.0 delete or otherwise adversely affect the data
in the /u directory?

If the upgrade will affect the data in /u, will making /u a separately
mounted file system protect the data?

Thanks for your assistance,

Rodgers Hemer
206.523.2329
r.hemer@w-link.net

0
r.hemer (4)

Rodgers Hemer typed (on Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 01:09:39PM -0700):
> I need to upgrade a system from Open Server 5.0.7 to 6.0.  All of the
> customer's data is in /u which currently is not a separately mounted
> file system.
>
> Will the upgrade to 6.0 delete or otherwise adversely affect the data in
> the /u directory?
>
> If the upgrade will affect the data in /u, will making /u a separately
> mounted file system protect the data?
>
> Thanks for your assistance,

Unfortunately, OSR 6 installation cannot preserve existing filesystems,
so you'd better count on restoring /u from your backups.

--
JP
0
In article <20090324171700.GA8073@jpradley.jpr.com> Jean-Pierre Radley <jpr@jpr.com> writes:
$Unfortunately, OSR 6 installation cannot preserve existing filesystems,
$so you'd better count on restoring /u from your backups.

   There is some information on SCO's Web site regarding upgrading to
OSR6 from previous versions.  I don't feel it's as detailed as it should
be, but it's a good place to start.
--
Stephen M. Dunn                             <stephen@stevedunn.ca>
stephen87 (99)
3/24/2009 6:15:00 PM
On Mar 23, 4:09=A0pm, Rodgers Hemer <r.he...@w-link.net> wrote:
> I need to upgrade a system from Open Server 5.0.7 to 6.0. =A0All of the =
=A0
> customer's data is in /u which currently is not a separately mounted =A0
> file system.
>
> Will the upgrade to 6.0 delete or otherwise adversely affect the data =A0
> in the /u directory?

*EVEN IF YOU COULD* preserve such data, any OS upgrade should be
accompanied by a complete system backup. Lone-Tar has a very nice
system for doing full backups and migrating such data: I'd recommend
their backup tools for exactly this.

But frankly, SCO is bankrupt, and doesn't seem to producing usable new
products. Have you considered creating a VMware virtual instance of
your old system, that Lone-Tar apparently supports migration to very
well, and running your old OpenServer systems and potential new ones
on a virtual server? That is amazingly helpful for migrating to a more
supportable OS, and avoiding the legacy hardware support problems of a
frankly limited OS environment of a company that has announced its
plans to switch to portable device markets?

> If the upgrade will affect the data in /u, will making /u a separately =
=A0
> mounted file system protect the data?

You could transfer it to a separate NFS server such as an external
appliance on almost any other system in your network.

> Thanks for your assistance,
>
> Rodgers Hemer
> 206.523.2329
> r.he...@w-link.net

0
nkadel (705)
3/26/2009 9:58:31 PM
On 26 Mar, 23:58, Nico Kadel-Garcia <nka...@gmail.com> wrote:

> But frankly, SCO is bankrupt, and doesn't seem to producing usable new
> products. Have you considered creating a VMware virtual instance of
> your old system, that Lone-Tar apparently supports migration to very
> well, and running your old OpenServer systems and potential new ones
> on a virtual server? That is amazingly helpful for migrating to a more
> supportable OS, and avoiding the legacy hardware support problems of a
> frankly limited OS environment of a company that has announced its
> plans to switch to portable device markets?

Nico,

We have just announced our intention to deliver VMware optimised
version of OpenServer 5.0.7, OpenServer 6.0.0 and UnixWare 7.1.4.
For more details see:

http://www.sco.com/products/unix/virtualization/

SCO is not switching to the portable device market.
We continue to develop, support and maintain our
SCO OpenServer and UnixWare operating systems,
we recently posted Maintenance Pack 4 for OpenServer 6
at:

http://www.sco.com/support/update/download/release.php?rid=366

we have just posted new Broadcom and an updated Intel NIC Driver for
OpenServer 5.0.7 at:

http://www.sco.com/support/update/download/osr507list.html

and as mentioned above, we are working towards the release of
SCO Unix Operating Systems optimised to run on VMware.

Regards,

John

0
bonixsas (100)