Convert Bash shell script to Korn shell script

The following bash script works fine to delete all files that are
older than $1 minutes. To execute this script,
bash cleanup +10

find /mypath -type f -cmin $1 -exec rm -f {} \;

Unfortunately, now I just realize I need to make it work in Korn
Shell. Even I
change the header from #!/bin/bash to #!/usr/bin/ksh, and execute the
script by ksh cleanup +10, it still have
different errors:

cleanup[9]: -cmin:  not found.
cleanup[10]: -type:  not found.

Looks like it doesn't work anymore. I think I need to re-write the
Korn Shell script that do the task.
I tried to search for equivalent Korn shell commands but unsuccessful.

Please help. thanks!!
0
jrefactors (362)

Matt <jrefactors@hotmail.com> wrote:
> The following bash script works fine to delete all files that are
> older than $1 minutes. To execute this script,
> bash cleanup +10
>
> find /mypath -type f -cmin $1 -exec rm -f {} \;
>
> Unfortunately, now I just realize I need to make it work in Korn
> Shell. Even I
> change the header from #!/bin/bash to #!/usr/bin/ksh, and execute the
> script by ksh cleanup +10, it still have
> different errors:
>
> cleanup[9]: -cmin:  not found.
> cleanup[10]: -type:  not found.
>

> Looks like it doesn't work anymore. I think I need to re-write the
> Korn Shell script that do the task.
> I tried to search for equivalent Korn shell commands but unsuccessful.
>

> Please help. thanks!!

Try typing it out on your command-line.  I don't think this is Bash/Ksh
issue.

--
William Park <opengeometry@yahoo.ca>
William
jrefactors@hotmail.com (Matt) wrote in message news:

> The following bash script works fine to delete all files that are
> older than $1 minutes. To execute this script,
> bash cleanup +10
>
> find /mypath -type f -cmin $1 -exec rm -f {} \;
>
> Unfortunately, now I just realize I need to make it work in Korn
> Shell. Even I
> change the header from #!/bin/bash to #!/usr/bin/ksh, and execute the
> script by ksh cleanup +10, it still have
> different errors:
>
> cleanup[9]: -cmin:  not found.
> cleanup[10]: -type:  not found.
>

> Looks like it doesn't work anymore. I think I need to re-write the
> Korn Shell script that do the task.

change 'find' to '/bin/find'.

probably your ksh has 'find' aliased.
0
sharma__r
11/23/2004 1:27:24 PM
> change 'find' to '/bin/find'. probably your ksh has 'find' aliased.

I tried it, it still doesn't work. Let me make the descriptions more
clear.

Here's the bash script that worked in home's Linux before, and then I
put this script
to Unix, and no longer works with error "ksh: bash: not found." I
guess the
Unix environment setting doesn't support bash scripts?

#!/bin/bash
find /usr/local/opt/WebSphere/AppServer/installedApps/proj1App.ear/proj1.war/proj1/download
-type f -cmin $1 -exec rm -f {} \;

$ bash cleanup +5
ksh: bash: not found

I then replaced the header with #!/usr/bin/ksh, and it has another
error "-cmin is not a valid option."
#!/usr/bin/ksh
find /usr/local/opt/WebSphere/AppServer/installedApps/proj1App.ear/proj1.war/proj1/download
-type f -cmin $1 -exec rm -f {} \;

$ ksh cleanup +5
find: 0652-017 -cmin is not a valid option.

I don't want to change any setting in unix, but I have no idea what to
do now. I guess I
need to re-write the bash shell script to korn shell script?

Thanks again. Please advise.
0
jrefactors
11/23/2004 5:46:09 PM
2004-11-23, 09:46(-08), Matt:
[...]
> I then replaced the header with #!/usr/bin/ksh, and it has another
> error "-cmin is not a valid option."
> #!/usr/bin/ksh
> find /usr/local/opt/WebSphere/AppServer/installedApps/proj1App.ear/proj1.war/proj1/download
> -type f -cmin $1 -exec rm -f {} \;
>
> $ ksh cleanup +5
> find: 0652-017 -cmin is not a valid option.
[...]

-cmin is a GNU (and BSD) specific option. There's no equivalent
option in standard find.

Note that -cmin is for the inode last change time, I doubt this
is what you want.

If you want to remove the files that have not been modified
withing the last $1 minutes, then you can use perl:

#! /usr/bin/perl
use File::Find;
$minutes = $ARGV[0];
find sub { unlink if (-M) * 24 * 60 > $minutes },
"/usr/local/opt/WebSphere/AppServer/installedApps/proj1App.ear/proj1.war/proj1/download"

(untested)

--
Stephane

0
Stephane
11/23/2004 6:04:42 PM
"Matt" <jrefactors@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> I then replaced the header with #!/usr/bin/ksh, and it has another
> error "-cmin is not a valid option."
> #!/usr/bin/ksh
> find
/usr/local/opt/WebSphere/AppServer/installedApps/proj1App.ear/proj1.war/proj
1/download
> -type f -cmin $1 -exec rm -f {} \;

It isn't a valid option for the find on my machine, the only option it
supports is -ctime, which would do what you want. -Wm

0
William
11/23/2004 6:14:32 PM

Matt wrote:
>>change 'find' to '/bin/find'. probably your ksh has 'find' aliased.
>

> I tried it, it still doesn't work. Let me make the descriptions more
> clear.
>
> Here's the bash script that worked in home's Linux before, and then I
> put this script
> to Unix, and no longer works with error "ksh: bash: not found." I
> guess the
> Unix environment setting doesn't support bash scripts?

Not necessarily, it just apparently isn't in "/bin" on your system. It
MAY be in "/usr/bin" (or elsewhere) in which case your shebang should be
"#!/usr/bin/bash" instead of "#!/bin/bash". That wouldn't solve your
main problem though. Your main problem has nothing whatsoever to do with
whether you're using a bash or ksh shell, it's which version of "find"
you're using as discussed elsethread.

<snip>

> I don't want to change any setting in unix, but I have no idea what to
> do now. I guess I
> need to re-write the bash shell script to korn shell script?

No, you need to download and install GNU "find".

	Ed.
0
Ed
11/23/2004 6:30:15 PM
Matt wrote:
> The following bash script works fine to delete all files that are
> older than $1 minutes. To execute this script,
> bash cleanup +10
>
> find /mypath -type f -cmin $1 -exec rm -f {} \;
>
> Unfortunately, now I just realize I need to make it work in Korn
> Shell. Even I
> change the header from #!/bin/bash to #!/usr/bin/ksh, and execute the
> script by ksh cleanup +10, it still have
> different errors:
>
> cleanup[9]: -cmin:  not found.
> cleanup[10]: -type:  not found.
>

> Looks like it doesn't work anymore. I think I need to re-write the
> Korn Shell script that do the task.
> I tried to search for equivalent Korn shell commands but
unsuccessful.

Do the following:
1. Start a bash shell: "bash"
2. run the command "which find"
3. exit the bash shell: "exit"
4. start a ksh: "ksh"
5. run the command "which find"
6. exit the ksh
7. use the find command identified in the bash shell as
the path to the find command in the ksh script.  The
path will probably be "/usr/local/bin/find"

--
Dana French

0
dfrench
11/23/2004 7:39:16 PM
On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 12:14:32 -0600, William
  <Reply@NewsGroup.Please> wrote:
> "Matt" <jrefactors@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> I then replaced the header with #!/usr/bin/ksh, and it has another
>> error "-cmin is not a valid option."
>> #!/usr/bin/ksh
>> find
> /usr/local/opt/WebSphere/AppServer/installedApps/proj1App.ear/proj1.war/proj
> 1/download
>> -type f -cmin $1 -exec rm -f {} \;
>
> It isn't a valid option for the find on my machine, the only option it
> supports is -ctime, which would do what you want. -Wm

-[cma]time searches for files according to the age in days, whereas
-[cma]min uses minutes.  When the "min" options aren't available, you
can use touch and "find -newer" or "find ! -newer"

--
"At a scheduled time, the robot would pull the flush lever and scream as
it got sucked down the drain." --Kibo

    #!/usr/bin/ksh
    VARDIR==/var/${0##*/}
    TOUCHSTONE=$VARDIR/touchstone
    [[ -d $VARDIR ]] || mkdir $VARDIR ||
        {
        print -u2 "Fatal error - can't make $VARDIR"
        exit 1
        }

    trap '>$TOUCHSTONE' exit

    cd /usr/tmp

    for file in sh*
        do
        [[ -f $file ]] || continue
        [[ $file -ot $TOUCHSTONE ]] || continue
        rm -f $TOUCHSTONE
        done

This is portable to all ksh versions and does not require any
external command other than rm

Dan Mercer

0
Dan

execute a shell script in a shell script
Please help. I have been stumbled on this issue, please see below. I am unable to execute a shell script in a shell script. I need to use perl script but not others and have tried eval, -exec and other on perl script but failed. system"cleartool setview -exec \"cleartool describe -fmt 'On %Sd modified %En and comment:\n %c\n\n' /myproject/vob/myprogram.C\" my_lag "; tks. On Dec 3, 8:30 am, moongeegee <moongee...@gmail.com> wrote: > Please help. > I have been stumbled on this issue, please see below. I am unable to > execute a shell script in a shel...

XEmacs shell-script-mode vs. Emacs shell-script-mode[bash]
I've noticed the shell-script-mode I get with Emacs behaves differently from that which I get with XEmacs. In particular the Emacs version provides a hard indentation feature (I don't know the formal term for hitting Tab to indent code to reflect the syntactic structure, but that's what I mean). Can I configure XEmacs (latest CVS) to support hard indentation when editing bash scripts? -- p->m == (*p).m == p[0].m >>>>> "Hattuari" == Hattuari <susudata@setidava.kushan.aa> writes: Hattuari> Can I configure XEmacs (latest CVS) to ...

web hosting, shell provider, unix shells, bnc shell, ircd provider, shell hosting, bnc shells, irc shells, ircd shells, unix shell account, irc shell, irc, eggdrop shell, irc vps, irc shell, linux vps
http://www.hostrazor.net/ web hosting, shell provider, unix shells, bnc shell, ircd provider, shell hosting, bnc shells, irc shells, ircd shells, unix shell account, irc shell, irc, eggdrop shell, irc vps, irc shell, linux vps -- questo articolo e` stato inviato via web dal servizio gratuito http://www.newsland.it/news segnala gli abusi ad abuse@newsland.it ...

handling SIGINT in shell scripts when executing another shell script.
I have a simple shell script foo1.sh that invokes another shell script foo2.sh, something like below: #!/bin/sh SIGINT_handler() { echo "## [$DATE_TIME] User interrupt ignored," continue } trap SIGINT_handler 2 .... ../foo2.sh .... ---------- while executing foo1.sh, if the script receives SIGINT, how do I ignore the SIGINT in foo2.sh ? somehow foo2.sh does not finish to completion and is killed after receiving SIGINT. but foo1.sh is still executing. Is there any way to trap this signal in the child script. ? Please share your thots and inputs on this topic. Regards, Vikram S...

Korn shell scripts not spawning or calling other scripts in AIX
I have a problem on an AIX server. We use a set of scripts to do monitoring and maintenance chores on some AIX servers that contain our Oracle databases. On one server, the scripts run fine. On another, they do not. The scripts do not call the other scripts even though the scripts are the same. I used the set -x option to try to debug it, and discovered that the scripts were not being called. This is from the log file of the server that the scripts fail on: + Logger StartLogging twtm02_rman_cold_backup_tape.ksh twtm02 + Logger printStartOfJobMessage twtm02_rman_cold_backup_tape.ksh + [ 5 -lt ...

RE: Terminate a python script from linux shell / bash script
>>That's not how it works. If you kill one running python script it will no= t >>effect other python scripts. Each script has its own interpreter process >>running.=20 >GB> So=2C is there a way from the Linux shell or a bash script to terminat= e >GB> just one specific Python script ?=20 >>So just kill it. Yes I've seen that each python script calls its own instance of Python. But= how to know which is the good one in bash ? Is there a command that gets t= he parameters of process=2C so I could use grep to select the one containin= g the name of...

expect script with shell script
I am using expect script in shell script. I want one value from expect script. how can i get the value from expect script and use it in shell script? On Thu, 4 Aug 2005, amitmjoshi@gmail.com wrote: > I am using expect script in shell script. > I want one value from expect script. > how can i get the value from expect script and use it in shell script? Have the expect script send the output to stdout (see [puts stdout ...]). In your shell script write: EXPECT_SCRIPT_RESULTS=`/path/to/your/expect/script.tcl` Michael In article <Pine.OSX.4.60.0508051853130.1253@powerbook.cleverly.com>, Michael A. Cleverly <michael@cleverly.com> wrote: >On Thu, 4 Aug 2005, amitmjoshi@gmail.com wrote: > >> I am using expect script in shell script. >> I want one value from expect script. >> how can i get the value from expect script and use it in shell script? > >Have the expect script send the output to stdout (see [puts stdout ...]). >In your shell script write: > >EXPECT_SCRIPT_RESULTS=`/path/to/your/expect/script.tcl` > >Michael .... which has nothing to do with Expect, of course. That is, Michael's advice is perfectly correct; from my own experience, though, I know that many people misunderstand the relation be- tween Expect and Tcl, and I want to take this opportunity to mention that his remark applies equally well to Expect or to vanilla Tcl. In that sense, the RESULT=`$SCRIPT` technique is not specific...

RE: Terminate a python script from linux shell / bash script #2
Thank you guys for your help. My problem is that I project to use this comm= and to terminate a script when uninstalling the software=2C so I can't stor= e the PID. This command will be integrated in the spec file of the RPM pack= age. Here's the script I'll use=2C it may help someone else: #!/bin/sh # PYTHON SCRIPT PROCESS KILLER by GBO v0.1 # This script will look for all the lines containing $SOFTWARENAME in the p= rocess list=2C and close them SOFTWARENAME=3D'yoursoftware' #This is case insensitive JOBPRESENT=3D$(ps -ef | grep -i $SOFTWARENAME | grep -v grep) echo $J...

Copy files using filenames from text files with shell script or bash script
How can I do this???? I have the file "lista.txt", and this file have the next information: one.txt two.txt five.txt six.txt ------------------- This files exist in the same directory that "list.txt", I would like to copy this files to other directory Using Windows the batch file would be like this: for /f "tokens=*" %i in (list.txt) do copy "%i" destdir\ How can I do something like that in REDHAT?? Best Regards On Sun, 19 Nov 2006 16:01:42 -0800, altariamx2003@gmail.com rearranged some electrons to form: > How can I do this???? > http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Bash-Prog-Intro-HOWTO.html -- David M (dmacchiarolo) http://home.triad.rr.com/redsled T/S 53 sled351 Linux 2.4.18-14 has been up 3 days 15:04 for f in `cat lisa.txt`; do cp $f /dst/dir; done -C On Nov 19, 6:43 pm, David M <NOS...@nospam.com> wrote: > On Sun, 19 Nov 2006 16:01:42 -0800, altariamx2...@gmail.com rearranged > some electrons to form: > > > How can I do this????http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Bash-Prog-Intro-HOWTO.html > > -- > David M (dmacchiarolo)http://home.triad.rr.com/redsled > T/S 53 > sled351 Linux 2.4.18-14 has been up 3 days 15:04 C.J. Steele wrote: > for f in `cat lisa.txt`; do cp $f /dst/dir; done Not a good way if you have filenames with whitespaces in lista.txt. -- js Jiri Slaby kirjoitti: > C.J. Steele wrote: > > for f in `cat lisa.txt`; do cp $f /dst/dir; done > > N...

shell scripting with bash
Hello there. I'm quite new to unix/linux OSs. I've got a task which is to look through a file for a line containing a specific word and erase it if it exists. After that, I need to insert a new line. Can this be peformed by a *.sh file using bash? If it not to much trouble, please provide such a script and links to a good web site on such a subject. yonatan@il.nlayers.com (Jonathan Taub) writes: > Hello there. > > I'm quite new to unix/linux OSs. > I've got a task which is to look through a file for a line containing > a specific word and erase it if it exist...

unix shell script
Hi all, I am in need of a shell script which will cat all the audit files into one log and then email. Thanks. Muddu "muddu" <mudassar.dba@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1156371761.252866.267670@b28g2000cwb.googlegroups.com... > Hi all, > > I am in need of a shell script which will cat all the audit files into > one log and then email. > "cat *.aud" will merge all files together. You can redirect it to a file and/or email. Thank you very much for your hint. Regards. Muddu Bob Jones wrote: > "muddu" <mudassar.dba@gmail.com> wrote in message > news:1156371761.252866.267670@b28g2000cwb.googlegroups.com... > > Hi all, > > > > I am in need of a shell script which will cat all the audit files into > > one log and then email. > > > > "cat *.aud" will merge all files together. You can redirect it to a file > and/or email. ...

Converting unix shell scripts to dos batch files
Anyone know of a tool or site that converts unix (bourne) shell scripts to dos batch files (for NT/2000/XP)? Thanks, --Nikolaos Ted Davis wrote: > On Wed, 09 Jul 2003 16:11:18 -0400, Nikolaos Giannopoulos > <nikolaos@solmar.ca> wrote: > > When you find one, it will probably be in the same place as a > translator for Malarian into Klingon. > > The languages are as different as Hebrew and English - best to just > rewrite using native concepts since too many of the concepts and > structures don't translate. Really? The syntax may be...

Unix Shell Script to convert between Big and Little Endian #4
Hello, Can anyone post a shell script that can convert a binary file from little to big Endian or vice versa? Or is there one that can do this? I can use the 'dd' command line except that always flips every 2 bytes so a 4 byte number wouldn't be converted right. Thank you, Kennth ...

shell script
Hi, I'm running a PHP script from a shell (bash, ...) - not from a web server. So I use a script of the form: #!/usr/bin/php <?php var_dump($argv); ?> and then I can run the script directly, rather than: [user]# php -f script_name Running the script this way changes the current directory to that of the script. I don't want this behaviour - I want the current directory to be from where I run the script, so I can write the PHP code to work on 'local' files (./*) - just like it should for CLI SAPI interface. I can't use the -C option (PHP throws an error) like: #!/usr/bin/php -q -C Anyone know how to do what I want ? System: Linux Fedora Core 1, PHP Version 4.3.8 Thanks, John. > I don't want this behaviour - I want the current directory to be from > where I run the script, so I can write the PHP code to work on 'local' > files (./*) - just like it should for CLI SAPI interface. John, Can't you simply give your script a parameter of the needed working directory and then use the chdir()-command to change the script's current directory? regards, Gert. ...

shell script: how to get *directory* of currently script?
I'm writing the a shell script which needs to get at a file in the same folder as the script itself. The variables $0 gives you the current script name (and the path to the script, if it is not being run for the directory where the script is), which is helpful, but I need an elegant way to make $0 into just the path to the script, not including the script name itself. Any ideas? ta alex "Alex Hunsley" <lard@tardis.ed.ac.molar.uk> a �crit dans le message de news:uyiYd.40818$y25.30599@fe3.news.blueyonder.co.uk... > I'm writing the a shell script which needs to g...

Passing a variable from a Perl script to a shell script
Hi, I want to submit a form which has only one password field (Perl) and the password should be submitted to a shell script. In the shell script, I want to process the pssword and use some crypting commands to Encrypt it. I do not know how I can process the password from Perl to shell and how to obget it in Shell Any help is appreciated. Thanks! In article <f402e501.0408260619.4559389b@posting.google.com>, anagaraj@ford.com (Ash) wrote: > I want to submit a form which has only one password field (Perl) and > the password should be submitted to a shell script. In the shell ...

passing arguments to a shell script from a perl script
Hi, Is there anyway can I pass arguments to a shell (bash) script from within a perl script and execute the shell script. The reason I want to call a shell script is that I want to export environmental variables. Since, we can't do it from a perl script, I wanted to write the environmental variables in a shell script and execute it. Can anyone let me know how can I do this in perl. Thanks, doni Hi You can actually actually indeed do this from within a perl script. You can also set environment variables from within perl. I'm sure you will get a few responses on this one as ther...

shell script with arguments within perl script
Hi! I wanted to run the system command with in Perl script to execute shell script with argument. I need to know the correct syntax for the arguments. Ex.) #/opt/bin/perl system("shellscript.sh" <arg1>, <arg2> <arg3>); I am getting syntax error. If i get rid of the arg1-3 then the shell script runs just fine. thanks. -- Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/. On May 3, 2007, at 5:22 AM, jay wrote: > Hi! I wanted to run the system command with in Perl script to execute > shell script with argument. I need to know the correct syntax for the > argumen...

How can I run php scripts from a shell script?
Newbie about this stuff. I want to run some php scripts from a shell script(bash?) the php script i want to run is this: test.php and it's path is this: home/virtual/blahblah.com/home/abc/mainwebsite_html/bluhbluh/dbtest/ 1. How would I creat the shell script? 2. How would I execute it? I have already tried ot figure it out with no success. I have php 4.2.2 Thanks john@munsey.net spilled the following: > Newbie about this stuff. > > I want to run some php scripts from a shell script(bash?) > > the php script i want to run is this: > test.php > > and it&...

Shell script?
I have a large number of JPGs that were taken by rotating the camera to upright format, and they all need rotating. I have been using the gimp to do this, and it's a laborious process. Load it into gimp, answer OK to "Rotate image?", save it, reject the suggested xcf format, go to Export to *.jpg, and confirm that. Is it possible to do all that with a shell script under Linux? If so, how? -- Dieter Britz On 2015-07-16, Dieter Britz <dieterhansbritz@gmail.com> wrote: > I have a large number of JPGs that were taken by rotating > the camera to upright f...

Unix Shell script and MySql
I want to write a unix shell script that interacts with a mysql database. Is it possible? If so , How????? Bye jZZ > I want to write a unix shell script that interacts with a mysql > database. Is it possible? If so , How????? by calling the external program mysql It is a commandline program to query a mysql db. see 'man mysql' for detailed info. example: mysql -uUSERNAME -pPASSWORD -e 'show databases' Eric jzz <yojo101@hotmail.com> wrote: > I want to write a unix shell script that interacts with a mysql > database. Is it possible? If so , How????? MyS...

UNIX shell script question
I try with a UNIX shell script to do some actions in each subdirectories. Here is my script: #!/bin/sh DIRS=`ls -Q` for userdir in $DIRS do #do some action on each dir echo $userdir done My problem is that I have directories with whitespaces in their name. For example I have the following directories: test 1 test 2 test 3 test 4 I get the following output: "test 1" "test 2" "test 3" "test 4" I would expect the following: "test 1" "test 2" "test 3" "test 4" In the variable DIRS I get the fol...

How to convert this script to AIX shell?
I use the following command to place Oracle export in Solaris with KSH. echo|exp file=>(gzip|split -b 2047m - exp.dmp.) userid=system/passwd full=y It performs a full database export and compress the export file on the fly. When the first compressed file is larger than 2G, it will create a second compressed export file, and so on. So for the large database, the export files look like: exp.dmp.aa exp.dmp.ab exp.... It was so convenient to use. However, I could not seem to be able to run it with KSH in AIX. In AIX, it doesn't recognize file=> Has anyone come across the similar iss...

Unix shell script
Hi All, I understand oracle runs on windows evnviroment, and we have differet enviroment from windows os to interact with oracle, like toad, sql plus and etc. I am observing that many people are talking oracle with unix shell script. I really dont understand what we will do oracle with unix shell script. Can someone who involed on this oracle and unix shell script environment throw some relationship between this two. Thank you very much Cooltami "Cooltami" <cooltami@gmail.com> writes: > Can someone who involed on this oracle and unix shell script > environment ...

Web resources about - Convert Bash shell script to Korn shell script - comp.unix.shell

List of converts to Buddhism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Coca-Cola made packaging that converts into a free Google Cardboard-style VR viewer [Video]
... if the above experiment turns into reality. The project envisions packaging for a 12-pack of Cokes and other products that is easily converted ...

Coca-Cola made packaging that converts into a free Google Cardboard-style VR viewer for iPhone
... if the above experiment turns into reality. The project envisions packaging for a 12-pack of Cokes and other products that is easily converted ...

The Galaxy S7 Edge may have just made me a Samsung convert
Historically, I've had a begrudging respect for Samsung flagships. I can objectively acknowledge the company makes very good, extremely popular ...

This modular robot tank converts into a tracked hoverboard
Filed under: Etc. , Videos , Autonomous , Military , Off-Road The unmanned vehicle is equal parts hoverboard and tank.