I've just used the file command on four files of RDF-XML with the
following output:

augtfidf.rdf: XML document text
kyoto.rdf:    XML document text
stuff.rdf:    XML  document text
tfidf.rdf:    XML document text

What does it mean that one of them has an extra space between "XML"
and "document"?

--
The kid's a hot prospect. He's got a good head for merchandising, an
agent who can take you downtown and one of the best urine samples I've

On 16.10.2012 16:06, Adam Funk wrote:
> I've just used the file command on four files of RDF-XML with the
> following output:
>
> augtfidf.rdf: XML document text
> kyoto.rdf:    XML document text
> stuff.rdf:    XML  document text
> tfidf.rdf:    XML document text
>
> What does it mean that one of them has an extra space between "XML"
> and "document"?

Hard to tell without further information.

What does   file *.rdf | od -c   show you?

Janis

Janis Papanagnou wrote:

> On 16.10.2012 16:06, Adam Funk wrote:
>> I've just used the file command on four files of RDF-XML with the
>> following output:
>>
>> augtfidf.rdf: XML document text
>> kyoto.rdf:    XML document text
>> stuff.rdf:    XML  document text
>> tfidf.rdf:    XML document text
>>
>> What does it mean that one of them has an extra space between "XML"
>> and "document"?
>
> Hard to tell without further information.
>
> What does   file *.rdf | od -c   show you?
>
> Janis

I've found out something strange. I don't know why this happens (perhaps a
bug in file/libmagic?), maybe it helps investigating further.

I've used locate+file+grep to look for .rdf files in my system with the two
spaces and found some. It seems that the double space appears when using
single quotes in the <?xml version='1.0'?> start tag. See this:

mirko@WizBox:~$ cp /etc/kompozer/profile/localstore.rdf .
mirko@WizBox:~$ cp localstore.rdf localstore_orig.rdf
mirko@WizBox:~$ vim localstore.rdf
mirko@WizBox:~$ file localstore*
localstore_orig.rdf: XML document text
localstore.rdf:      XML  document text
mirko@WizBox:~$ head -n1 localstore*
==> localstore_orig.rdf <==
<?xml version="1.0"?>

==> localstore.rdf <==
<?xml version='1.0'?>

Adam Funk wrote:

> I've just used the file command on four files of RDF-XML with the
> following output:
>
> augtfidf.rdf: XML document text
> kyoto.rdf:    XML document text
> stuff.rdf:    XML  document text
> tfidf.rdf:    XML document text
>
> What does it mean that one of them has an extra space between "XML"
> and "document"?

file(1) is free software.  UTSL: <ftp://ftp.astron.com/pub/file/>.

--
PointedEars

Twitter: @PointedEars2
Please do not Cc: me. / Bitte keine Kopien per E-Mail.
0
PointedEars (2489)
10/16/2012 6:37:41 PM
On 2012-10-16, Janis Papanagnou wrote:

> On 16.10.2012 16:06, Adam Funk wrote:
>> I've just used the file command on four files of RDF-XML with the
>> following output:
>>
>> augtfidf.rdf: XML document text
>> kyoto.rdf:    XML document text
>> stuff.rdf:    XML  document text
>> tfidf.rdf:    XML document text
>>
>> What does it mean that one of them has an extra space between "XML"
>> and "document"?
>
> Hard to tell without further information.
>
> What does   file *.rdf | od -c   show you?

Not much.  I tried od -x too, and that confirmed that the two spaces
are both 0x20.

--
The history of the world is the history of a privileged few.
                                            --- Henry Miller
On 16.10.2012 22:45, Adam Funk wrote:
> On 2012-10-16, Janis Papanagnou wrote:
>
>> On 16.10.2012 16:06, Adam Funk wrote:
>>> I've just used the file command on four files of RDF-XML with the
>>> following output:
>>>
>>> augtfidf.rdf: XML document text
>>> kyoto.rdf:    XML document text
>>> stuff.rdf:    XML  document text
>>> tfidf.rdf:    XML document text
>>>
>>> What does it mean that one of them has an extra space between "XML"
>>> and "document"?
>>
>> Hard to tell without further information.
>>
>> What does   file *.rdf | od -c   show you?
>
> Not much.  I tried od -x too, and that confirmed that the two spaces
> are both 0x20.

The file(1) man page points to magic(5). Depending on the actual file
characteristics there seem to be more than one entry possible for a
file, independent of its extension. As a wild guess: maybe depending
on byte order or any such file characteristic.

It may be helpful if you inspect that 'magic' file on your system and
see what entries are present for XML and what's the difference in the
definition of the respective entries with those two text strings that
you observed.

Janis

Janis Papanagnou wrote:

> The file(1) man page points to magic(5). Depending on the actual file
> characteristics there seem to be more than one entry possible for a
> file, independent of its extension. As a wild guess: maybe depending
> on byte order or any such file characteristic.

There are indeed multiple possible entries for a "file type". The point of
'file' and 'magic' is exactly that it tries to determine the type (and
possible sub-types/versions/etc) from the file's content (certain special
byte/string sequences near the beginning of the file, aka "magic numbers"),
instead of the extension, and actually, 'file' completely ignores the
extension.

Since there is an unlimited number of file formats, 'file' depends on a
heuristic which is easy to trick.

> It may be helpful if you inspect that 'magic' file on your system and
> see what entries are present for XML and what's the difference in the
> definition of the respective entries with those two text strings that
> you observed.

Unfortunately, there is no single "magic" text file on Ubuntu (and Debian)
anymore. It has been replaced with some binary format
(/usr/share/misc/magic.mgc). One has to install the source of the 'file' (or
libmagic1) package to view the different magic files that this magic.mgc is
compiled from). The relevant file (in the source) is "Magdir/sgml". I cannot
fluently read it, but didn't found an obvious explanation for the symptoms
described by the OP.

Still, my observation written my other post should a helpful start for
asking the file/libmagic devs about this. :-)

HTH
On 17.10.2012 01:54, Mirko K. wrote:

>> It may be helpful if you inspect that 'magic' file on your system and
>> see what entries are present for XML and what's the difference in the
>> definition of the respective entries with those two text strings that
>> you observed.
>
> Unfortunately, there is no single "magic" text file on Ubuntu (and Debian)
> anymore. It has been replaced with some binary format
> (/usr/share/misc/magic.mgc). One has to install the source of the 'file' (or
> libmagic1) package to view the different magic files that this magic.mgc is
> compiled from). [...]

The binary and text files are, on my Xubuntu, both under /usr/share/file,
also referenced through soft-links in /usr/share/misc. There's nothing
you'd have to install separately.

 magic:      magic text file for file(1) cmd
 magic.mgc:  magic binary file for file(1) cmd (version 7) (little endian)
 magic.mime: magic text file for file(1) cmd

The file called magic was the one that I inspected.

Janis

Janis Papanagnou wrote:

> The binary and text files are, on my Xubuntu, both under /usr/share/file,
> also referenced through soft-links in /usr/share/misc. There's nothing
> you'd have to install separately.
>
>  magic:      magic text file for file(1) cmd
>  magic.mgc:  magic binary file for file(1) cmd (version 7) (little endian)
>  magic.mime: magic text file for file(1) cmd
>
> The file called magic was the one that I inspected.
>
> Janis

That seems to have changed somewhere between Ubuntu 10.04 and 12.04, also
Debian 6. On my old U10.04 installation these files are still there, on this
U12.04 there is certainly no single plain text magic file anymore and I had
to download the source (does not mean, that Xubuntu 12.04 might not have
them.)
On 2012-10-16, Mirko K. wrote:

> I've found out something strange. I don't know why this happens (perhaps a
> bug in file/libmagic?), maybe it helps investigating further.
>
> I've used locate+file+grep to look for .rdf files in my system with the two
> spaces and found some. It seems that the double space appears when using
> single quotes in the <?xml version='1.0'?> start tag. See this:
>
> mirko@WizBox:~$ cp /etc/kompozer/profile/localstore.rdf .
> mirko@WizBox:~$ cp localstore.rdf localstore_orig.rdf
> mirko@WizBox:~$ vim localstore.rdf
> mirko@WizBox:~$ file localstore*
> localstore_orig.rdf: XML document text
> localstore.rdf:      XML  document text
> mirko@WizBox:~$ head -n1 localstore*
>==> localstore_orig.rdf <==
><?xml version="1.0"?>
>
>==> localstore.rdf <==
><?xml version='1.0'?>

I get the same results --- harmless, I guess, but very strange.

--
No sport is less organized than Calvinball!
0
Adam Funk <a24061@ducksburg.com> writes:

> On 2012-10-16, Mirko K. wrote:
>
>> I've found out something strange. I don't know why this happens (perhaps a
>> bug in file/libmagic?), maybe it helps investigating further.
>>
>> I've used locate+file+grep to look for .rdf files in my system with the two
>> spaces and found some. It seems that the double space appears when using
>> single quotes in the <?xml version='1.0'?> start tag. See this:
>>
>> mirko@WizBox:~$ cp /etc/kompozer/profile/localstore.rdf .
>> mirko@WizBox:~$ cp localstore.rdf localstore_orig.rdf
>> mirko@WizBox:~$ vim localstore.rdf
>> mirko@WizBox:~$ file localstore*
>> localstore_orig.rdf: XML document text
>> localstore.rdf:      XML  document text
>> mirko@WizBox:~$ head -n1 localstore*
>>==> localstore_orig.rdf <==
>><?xml version="1.0"?>
>>
>>==> localstore.rdf <==
>><?xml version='1.0'?>
>

> I get the same results --- harmless, I guess, but very strange.

I chased this down yesterday, but the end result was not very
satisfactory.  The magic patterns allow subsequent matches to add text
to previous results and the 'file' code adds a space between them.  All
good so far.

The double space comes from two rules.  The first adds "XML" and the
second adds " document text" so you get two spaces.  The tricky part is
that the rules that adds " document text" is this:

  >15   search/1      >\0      %.3s document text

where the %.3s expands to nothing.  Simply writing this

  >15   search/1      >\0      document text

fixes the problem but the %0.3s is very suggestive.  Maybe this change
would break other file calls?

I suspect that maybe the code should be passing the old string as an
argument to the formatted print call, but then the result would be "XML
XML document type" so that alone is not the problem.  Maybe the file
code is supposed to treat strings with formats differently by not
appending the old and the new strings?  I could not tell.

I thought the situation complex enough that I didn't think I could
anything over simply reporting the effect.  Has anyone done that?

--
Ben.
0
Ben Bacarisse wrote:

> I chased this down yesterday, but the end result was not very
> satisfactory.  The magic patterns allow subsequent matches to add text
> to previous results and the 'file' code adds a space between them.  All
> good so far.
>
> The double space comes from two rules.  The first adds "XML" and the
> second adds " document text" so you get two spaces.  The tricky part is
> that the rules that adds " document text" is this:
>
>   >15   search/1      >\0      %.3s document text
>
> where the %.3s expands to nothing.  Simply writing this
>
>   >15   search/1      >\0      document text
>
> fixes the problem but the %0.3s is very suggestive.  Maybe this change
> would break other file calls?
>
> I suspect that maybe the code should be passing the old string as an
> argument to the formatted print call, but then the result would be "XML
> XML document type" so that alone is not the problem.  Maybe the file
> code is supposed to treat strings with formats differently by not
> appending the old and the new strings?  I could not tell.
>
> I thought the situation complex enough that I didn't think I could
> anything over simply reporting the effect.  Has anyone done that?

Not yet. I found a different (partial) fix. First there is:

0	string/t	\<?xml\ version="	XML

And a few lines later:

0	string		\<?xml\ version='	XML

Changing that second field to string/t seems to fix it.

However, this seems to break it for UTF-x files (the t makes the test only
for ASCII files I think).

Feel free to report it if you think that's enough info. Otherwise I'll
report it in the next days, I want to play around with this a little more.
"Mirko K. " <mirkok.lists@googlemail.com> writes:

> Ben Bacarisse wrote:
>
>> I chased this down yesterday, but the end result was not very
>> satisfactory.  The magic patterns allow subsequent matches to add text
>> to previous results and the 'file' code adds a space between them.  All
>> good so far.
>>
>> The double space comes from two rules.  The first adds "XML" and the
>> second adds " document text" so you get two spaces.  The tricky part is
>> that the rules that adds " document text" is this:
>>
>>   >15   search/1      >\0      %.3s document text
>>
>> where the %.3s expands to nothing.  Simply writing this
>>
>>   >15   search/1      >\0      document text
>>
>> fixes the problem but the %0.3s is very suggestive.  Maybe this change
>> would break other file calls?
>>
>> I suspect that maybe the code should be passing the old string as an
>> argument to the formatted print call, but then the result would be "XML
>> XML document type" so that alone is not the problem.  Maybe the file
>> code is supposed to treat strings with formats differently by not
>> appending the old and the new strings?  I could not tell.
>>
>> I thought the situation complex enough that I didn't think I could
>> anything over simply reporting the effect.  Has anyone done that?
>>

> Not yet. I found a different (partial) fix. First there is:
>
> 0	string/t	\<?xml\ version="	XML
>
> And a few lines later:
>
> 0	string		\<?xml\ version='	XML
>
> Changing that second field to string/t seems to fix it.
>
> However, this seems to break it for UTF-x files (the t makes the test only
> for ASCII files I think).
>
> Feel free to report it if you think that's enough info. Otherwise I'll
> report it in the next days, I want to play around with this a little
> more.

I don't think I'll have time, but I'll post here if I am about to -- no
point in duplicating.

--
Ben.
0
Mirko K.  <mirkok.lists@googlemail.com> wrote:

>That seems to have changed somewhere between Ubuntu 10.04 and 12.04, also
>Debian 6. On my old U10.04 installation these files are still there, on this
>U12.04 there is certainly no single plain text magic file anymore and I had
>to download the source (does not mean, that Xubuntu 12.04 might not have
>them.)

I complained about this last year. It's Debian bug#625259. Nothing has been
done about it.

--
Alan Curry
0

"""""""""ADD ME""""""""""

Hello Partners, Please find the requirement below. Please send the updated resume along with rate and contact no. REQ#1: Title : Java Developer ( Rating Project) Duration : 6 months Rate : open Location : NY strong java, WebLogic 9.2, Web Services, Oracle REQ#2: Title : Java Developer Duration : 4 months Rate : open Location : NY Strong java, SQL REQ#3: Title : VB.Net Consultant Location : NY Duration : 4 months Rate : open Primarily looking at someone who has Excel, VB.net and Oracle (good to have). Req #4: Title : Java Developer (MSA Project) Duration : 6+ months Rate : open Location : NY Note : Please send your updated resume along with contact no karthik@bhaninfo.com : No phone calls please. Thanks & Regards Karthik BhanInfo karthik@bhaninfo.com ...

why "::", not "."

"If then; if then;" and "If then; if;"

"/a" is not "/a" ?

"or" and "and"

"out" and "in out"

"my" and "our"

about "++" and "--"

is there definition of "binary file" or "text file"
even so called "text file", acturally it's also stored in the binary format. niy38@hotmail.com (Niy) writes: > even so called "text file", acturally it's also stored in > the binary format. There isn't a difference on unix. Unix sees a file as simply a sequence of bytes, which it does not try to interpret. Interpretation of file formats is done at the application level. For example, a database program would expect a certain format, a text editor another format, but the standard I/O routines just deal with streams of bytes. What's the issue you...

A problem about "[ ]" "( )" "="

"In" "Out" and "Trash"

How to replace each line in a text file by quotes ("") text?
I have a plain text file with a couple of text lines inside. Now I would like to embed each line in a pair of quotes.E.g. This is the line before convert to: "This is the line before" How could I do this with a DOS batch procedure ? If necessary/easier then Win2000/WinXP DOS command extension can be used. Bernd ...

What XML technologies to learn first for "XML Processing" and "XML Mapping"?
Hi, Doing job interviews. I know XML basics, but I want to familiarize myself with the best that XML has to offer at the moment. What do I need to learn? In other words, what is the dominant XML technology being used at the moment for processing? What is the 'struts' of the XML world? I've used a bit of JDOM, DOM4J, and JAXB. I know there are other xml-to-java serialization-type technologies out there that are less cumbersome - which do I need to know first? Which are most interesting? Which could become market leaders? Also, what are alternatives, if any, to XML? I know...

RUP "Business Vision Document" and "Vision Document"
Hello, I am a bit confused, but could some-one explain what is the difference between the RUP "Business Vision Document" and "Vision Document"? How are they used, and what audience are they aimed at? Best Regards, Mike Little mlittle84@hotmail.com wrote: > Hello, > I am a bit confused, but could some-one explain what is the difference > between the RUP "Business Vision Document" and "Vision Document"? How > are they used, and what audience are they aimed at? > > Best Regards, > > Mike Little Mike-- Looking at it one way, th...

Hello Partners, How are you ? Please find the requirement below. Location : NY Duration : 8 mnths Rate :Open Job description: Java/J2EE Web Service Developer =B7 (4+ years of application development experience in Java/J2EE and Web service technologies. =B7 Experience with spring & Hibernate. =B7 Experience with J2EE Application Server (preferably Web logic). =B7 Preferable Aqua logic DSP Experience =B7 Preferable Sonic ESB Composite Service experience Experience w...

"perl" vs "site" vs "vendor"
I've been using Perl for years, but I must confess I have *no idea* what the ExtUtils::MakeMaker documentation means by the terms "perl", "site", and "vendor" in the table INSTALLDIRS set to perl site vendor PERLPREFIX SITEPREFIX VENDORPREFIX INST_ARCHLIB INSTALLARCHLIB INSTALLSITEARCH INSTALLVENDORARCH INST_LIB INSTALLPRIVLIB INSTALLSITELIB INSTALLVENDORLIB etc., etc. (Infuriatingly enough, this POD doesn't deign...

Converting A FMP "Document" To A Text Document
Hello, I'm using Filemaker Pro 5 Mac OS System 9.2 My objective is to export BOTH the layout and the datafields of a form I created in Filemaker to a Word or text file. I am doing this because I can't for the life of me figure out how to use the Merge function in Word and I'm done spending time with it. (I will restrain myself from any further comment on Word 2001, other than to say that I'm stuck using it since my office does.) So please, can you tell me if there's a way to, after I've created a form in Filemaker and filled in the data, export the whole "docu...

Gary Sokolich """"""

Question about "sprintf" "@" "do for"

Should the webserver add "Content-Type: text/xml header" to the requested XML file?
I've been informed that a webserver sending a XML file is supposed to add "Content-Type: text/xml header". I'm not questioning that infromation but i'm unsure what was ment by it. The XML i get on my screen when i type in the url to it looks as follows. <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <tag-uno>uno</tag-uno> <tag-duo>duo</tag-duo> I can't see any line containing "text/xml" but perhaps it's not supposed to show in the requested file. Please advise. -- Regards Konrad Viltersten ---------------...

files "." and ".." from readdir()
Will readdir always return "." and ".." as the _first_ two entries returned if the filesystem has them? I'm just curious if it testing for them can be skipped after the first two have been tested. I've always written my loops around readdir with the tests applied in every case. -- |WARNING: Due to extreme spam, googlegroups.com is blocked. Due to ignorance | | by the abuse department, bellsouth.net is blocked. If you post to | | Usenet from these places, find another Usenet provider ASAP. | | Phil Howard KA9WGN (email for humans: first ...

Web resources about - file command: "XML document text" vs "XML document text" - comp.unix.shell