OT: linux, FC5 (having trouble with alt.os.linux)

I apologize profusely for posting this topic to this newsgroup but
either I'm having trouble with alt.os.linux (going on a few days now) or
it's having trouble and I don't know which it is (maybe some one else
knows). I figured someone here would be knowledgeable enough to help me
and/or let me know if my posting problems are mine or the newsgroups
(BTW, I've posted from my work and home without luck but they may both
use the same ISP). Well, if you've read this far...here's my
(attempted?) post to the other group:

Topic: shutdown broadcast not showing up for user

I can not see shutdown warning message broadcasts when I'm logged into
an windowing (KDE) session. In init 3 I see the messages fine, but as
soon as I go to 5 they're getting lost (trapped?) somewhere and they
never show up. The machine shuts down fine. Root can see them in 3 or 5.
I'm running FC5.

The only odd thing I think I could have messed up lately had to do with
a script that I created which shuts down the machine if a windows box
that the script pings is not up (the pinged machine has power supply
software to know when to shut down). That script is started upon boot
and works as it should (i.e. shuts down machines when it should). I did
have a shutdown once where for some reason (and this is beyond my
knowledge, maybe someone can enlighten me) the broadcast message didn't
show up and when I tried to log in as a user next time I could not
because /etc/nologin existed with my broadcast message in it (I've since
learned of the existence of this file...new one on me). Maybe this file
was simply not removed (though I don't recall an improper shutdown) as
it should have been. I'm assuming this may be related to my problem but
could be way off. The script does nothing else directly intentionally
(i.e. doesn't mess with any system files) on the system. Regardless,
anyone have any ideas why I'm not seeing these messages as user in init
5 any more?

--
Any opinions expressed above are my own.
Contact info: