32 bits vs. 64 bits Oracle

I am about to update Oracle from 8.1.7 to 9.2.0 on a Sun E3500 running
Solaris 7. If I have the chance to choose, should I prefer the 64 bit
version instead of the 32 bit version?

Would anyone explain the difference in general, and perhaps in the
particular case of Oracle?

The machine has 2 GB and won't ever get more.

By the way, if if booting kernel/unix (32 bit Kernel), will any 64 bit
software still run? We have had a case the other way around: A special
software won't run properly if booting the 64 bit Kernel.

Thanks in advance

Rick Denoire

0
Rick

In article <7kc9uvop07odr9k0heb7i6eiqtim7vmegr@4ax.com>,
 Rick Denoire <100.17706@germanynet.de> wrote:

> I am about to update Oracle from 8.1.7 to 9.2.0 on a Sun E3500 running
> Solaris 7. If I have the chance to choose, should I prefer the 64 bit
> version instead of the 32 bit version?
>
> Would anyone explain the difference in general, and perhaps in the
> particular case of Oracle?
>
> The machine has 2 GB and won't ever get more.
>
> By the way, if if booting kernel/unix (32 bit Kernel), will any 64 bit
> software still run? We have had a case the other way around: A special
> software won't run properly if booting the 64 bit Kernel.

It's my understanding that the 32-bit kernel won't run 64-bit code.  So
with the 'special software' you have that won't run on the 64-bit
kernel, you're issue is resolved:  you can't run the 64-bit Oracle
because you can only run the 32-bit kernel.  However, I think the 32-bit
Oracle will run on the 64-bit kernel.

Dump or upgrade that 'special software' and you'll be able to run in
64-bit.

--
DeeDee, don't press that button!  DeeDee!  NO!  Dee...

0
Michael
12/20/2003 9:56:50 PM
On Sat, 20 Dec 2003, Rick Denoire wrote:

> I am about to update Oracle from 8.1.7 to 9.2.0 on a Sun E3500 running
> Solaris 7. If I have the chance to choose, should I prefer the 64 bit
> version instead of the 32 bit version?
>
> Would anyone explain the difference in general, and perhaps in the
> particular case of Oracle?
>
> The machine has 2 GB and won't ever get more.

The ability to use > 4 GB is one of the advantages of using a
64-bit kernel, but its not the only one.  Many limits, like the
number of file descriptors, are either effectively gone, or are
much higher than their 32-bit counter parts.  So yes, I would
say if possible use the 64-bit kernel.

> By the way, if if booting kernel/unix (32 bit Kernel), will any 64 bit
> software still run? We have had a case the other way around: A special

No.  The 32-bit kernel can only run 32-bit programs.  The 64-bit
kernel will run 32-bit and 64-bit programs equally well.

> software won't run properly if booting the 64 bit Kernel.

Then that software is broken, and you should upgrade it or ditch
it: for a few years now, Sun hasn't sold a SPARC machine that
supports a 32-bit kernel.  All current SPARC based machines only
support the 64-bit kernel (and Solaris 10 does away with the 32-bit
SPARC kernel altogether).

--
Rich Teer, SCNA, SCSA                               .  *   * . * .* .
                                                     .   *   .   .*
Rich Teer <rich.teer@rite-group.com> writes:

>> software won't run properly if booting the 64 bit Kernel.

>Then that software is broken, and you should upgrade it or ditch
>it: for a few years now, Sun hasn't sold a SPARC machine that
>supports a 32-bit kernel.  All current SPARC based machines only
>support the 64-bit kernel (and Solaris 10 does away with the 32-bit
>SPARC kernel altogether).

There are, unfortunately, cases where software running on a 64bit
kernel doesn't run while it did run on a 32 bit kernel without
it being the programmer's fault; when we find such occurences
or when they are reported to us, we make a point of fixing
it.  (As you know, Solaris.next is exclusively 64 bit on the
SPARC platforms it supports)

Casper
--
Expressed in this posting are my opinions.  They are in no way related
be fiction rather than truth.

Matlab 64 vs 32 bit benchmarking results (on Win XP 64 bit vs Win XP 32 bit SP2)
Recently I installed a new PC with dual boot, win XP 32 bit and win XP 64 bit. On the 32 bit OS I run 32 bit matlab, on the 64 bit OS I run 64 bit matlab. MATLAB Version 7.3.0.267 (R2006b) Intel core 2 duo 6700 @ 2.66GHz, 2GB RAM NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS I benchmarked the systems in 2 ways (average over multiple runs): 1) with a benchmark from the file exchange MATLAB Central > File Exchange > Utilities > Miscellaneous > Benchmark http://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/fileexchange/loadFile.do?objectId=11984&objectType=file 2) With my own benchmark (training of neural netwo...

32 bit or 64 bit Oracle on 64 bit OS?
Hello, Currently our environment is on 10g Release 2, OS windows 2000/2003 standard edition 32 bit. We use shared server to take advantage of scalability and connecting maximum no of simultaneous connections to the database. Now we take advantage of memory beyond 4GB we are planning to check following. 64 bit Windows 2003 standard edition on AMD64/EM64T Servers. Do we need to install 64 bit Oracle as well? Do we need to reinstall Oracle clients with 64 bit installable if Oracle Server is upgraded to 64 bit? Is 32 bit Oracle is certified on 64 bit OS? Do we need to take care of any other ...

compiling on 32-bit vs. 64-bit (gcc fails on 64-bit)
On a 64-bit Scientific Linux 5.4 machine, I get the following when I try to compile the basic "Hello world" program: [root]# g++ -Wall hello.cc -o hello /tmp/ccglIDXK.s: Assembler messages: /tmp/ccglIDXK.s:10: Error: suffix or operands invalid for `push' /tmp/ccglIDXK.s:38: Error: suffix or operands invalid for `push' /tmp/ccglIDXK.s:55: Error: suffix or operands invalid for `push' /tmp/ccglIDXK.s:79: Error: suffix or operands invalid for `push' /tmp/ccglIDXK.s:81: Error: suffix or operands invalid for `push' /tmp/ccglIDXK.s:85: Error: suffix or operand...

AIX 64-bit kernel vs. 32-bit with 64-bit extensions
We are in the process of migrating our IDS 7.31 UD4 instance to IDS 9.4FC6. At the same time, we are moving to IBM p630 servers with 2 1.2Ghz Power4 processors with 4G of RAM running on AIX 5.2. We are beginning to test a reorg/migration script which uses distributed SQL queries to move data from our very-interleaved, messy IDS 7 instance to a well-organized IDS 9 instance with big chunks (where needed). In our test, both instances are on separate p630 AIX 5.2 servers connected on the same subnet. We were just told by our AIX admins that our standard mode for the AIX 5.2 servers ...

32 bit oracle on Solaris 9 64 bits ?
I just bought a new sun server (280R) and I plan to run solaris 9 on it in 64 bits mode, which I think is the default when you install (Can anyone confirm this ?) Should I run oracle 64 bits edition on it, or would oracle 32 bits edition run just fine ? I heard that the 64 bit edition was slower and I don't need a HUGE SGA, and I will probably have older 32 bit oracle OCI apps running that I cannot recompile. Is there a HUGE performance penalty in running 32 bits apps on solaris 64 bits ? Thanks On Fri, 31 Oct 2003, Guy Dallaire wrote: > I just bought a new sun server (280R) an...

32 bit oracle on Solaris 9 64 bits ?
I just bought a new sun server (280R) and I plan to run solaris 9 on it in 64 bits mode, which I think is the default when you install (Can anyone confirm this ?) Should I run oracle 64 bits edition on it, or would oracle 32 bits edition run just fine ? I heard that the 64 bit edition was slower and I don't need a HUGE SGA, and I will probably have older 32 bit oracle OCI apps running that I cannot recompile. Is there a HUGE performance penalty in running 32 bits apps on solaris 64 bits ? Thanks Comments inline. > I just bought a new sun server (280R) and I plan to run solaris 9...

Windows 7 64 bit
My server works under Windows 7 Professional 64 bits, my FileMaker Pro10 Advanced is 32 bits. FM has to connect to a MySQL-database, which driver should I use? The 64bits or the 32bits version? And if 64, can FM communicate via the 64bits driver with MySQL? Or should I better downgrade W7 to 32bits? Harry <a@b.c> wrote: > My server works under Windows 7 Professional 64 bits, my FileMaker > Pro10 Advanced is 32 bits. > FM has to connect to a MySQL-database, which driver should I use? > The 64bits or the 32bits version? I never used Filemaker. And I try to sta...

12.5 32 bit vs 64 bit on Solaris
It has been suggested by a vendor that thier product will run faster if I switch the ASE version on the servers they run on from ther 32 bit to 64 bit versions. (On Solaris 8). Does that ring true? Obviously, if I wanted to run over 32 GB cache I would have to, but with 4 GB we have a constant 99.9 - 100% cache hit rate. CPUs and storage are being evaluated seperatly. Or is going to the 64 bit product just "the thing to do", and I should get with the program already? roger reid -- r l reid ro@rreid.net On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 16:20:03 +0000, r l reid wr...

Use the Dynamic SGA feature in 32-bit Oracle running on 64-bit Solaris?
Hi All, I have to compare 64 bit 9.2 versus 32 bit 9.2 to see what is the pros and cons for upgrading to which version for my work's production database. My question is will I be able to use the Dynamic SGA feature in 32-bit Oracle running on 64-bit Solaris? Let me tell you what happen? I( my work) open a TAR on this topic, but the metalink analyst say one thing, and the oracle instructor say another thing? ============================================================== Question for Metalink: We are planning to upgrade from 8i to 9i and are interested in using the new Dynamic SGA...

x86-64 performance: 32 bit vs 64 bit
Dear All -- In a question that has a vague link to Fortran, can anyone enlighten me whether the new x86-64 architecture exhibits any performance boost in running 64-bit code, as opposed to 32-bit code? I've been labouring under the notion that, in 64-bit mode, the extensions to the x86 instruction set give access to a number of extra general-purpose registers. Since register starvation is one of the historical bottlenecks with the x86 architecture, it follows that 64-bit code will experience a significant performance boost over 32-bit code on the x86-64 platform. This I've ga...

32-bit vs. 64-bit ??
What are the advantages of 64-bit over 32-bit computing? Does DB2 support 64-bit architectures for Windows or Linux? Sam wrote: > What are the advantages of 64-bit over 32-bit computing? Does DB2 > support 64-bit architectures for Windows or Linux? DB2 and Oracle support 64 bit computing and have for some time now. The advantages are in the area of floating-point math, the ability to address large amounts of RAM, moving very large datasets (and that doesn't mean tens or a few hundreds of GB). -- Daniel A. Morgan University of Washington damorgan@x.washingt...

64-bits vs 32-bits
Sir: A continuation of a discussion that we had in January. May I refer you to <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/05/28/intel_64b_prescott/> to Intel's new version of its Prescott chip. It seems that they are going to use the Prescott name on this new chip. -- Bill Thanks a Million! William L. Hartzell wrote: > Sir: > > A continuation of a discussion that we had in January. May I refer you > to <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/05/28/intel_64b_prescott/> to > Intel's new version of its Prescott chip. It seems that they are going ...

64 bit vs 32 bit
I have a c++ program compiled on both 64 and 32 bit. The 64 bit binary seems to be around 40% percent slower than the 32 bit on solaris-sparc 2.10. Is 64 bit binary slower than a 32 bit binary? In article <b5974f5c-b8a0-418c-be17-2605ed976a63@s20g2000vbp.googlegroups.com>, mobenoua@hotmail.com wrote: > I have a c++ program compiled on both 64 and 32 bit. The 64 bit binary > seems to be around 40% percent slower > than the 32 bit on solaris-sparc 2.10. Is 64 bit binary slower than a > 32 bit binary? I thought that the performance difference between 32-bit and 64-bit prog...

64-bit vs 32-bit
for those interested, here is an article comparing speed of 32-bit and 64-bit apps. http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=5768&page=1 -nick e. tho I'm sure you all saw it on /. already :-) -- Really, I'm not out to destroy Microsoft. That will just be a completely unintentional side effect. --Linus Torvalds "Nick E." <nicke@flyingpigs.com> wrote in message news:ADxQb.3988$BA2.1886@newssvr26.news.prodigy.com... > for those interested, here is an article comparing speed of 32-bit and > 64-bit apps. > > http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=5...

Web resources about - 32 bits vs. 64 bits Oracle - comp.unix.solaris

Oracle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the classical medium. For the software company, see Oracle Corporation . For other uses, see Oracle (disambiguation) . ...

Oracle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the classical medium. For the software company, see Oracle Corporation . For other uses, see Oracle (disambiguation) . ...

News Oracle
The News Oracle is an online news outlet. The Oracle covers the most relevant stories from around the globe.

Kenshoo, Oracle Social Cloud Announce Integration
... and provider of cloud-based digital marketing solutions and predictive media optimization technology, announced an integration with Oracle Social ...

Contract Analyst Programmer (SQL/Oracle/.Net) 160129/AP/vhs-b

Google’s total Android revenue since 2008 is $31 billion, says Oracle
... has—for years—kept secret the amount of money it has made from its Android operating system. But the cat is now out of the bag. An Oracle lawyer ...

Canonical and Oracle team up to boost enterprise cloud use
Canonical, the company behind Ubuntu Linux, has announced a collaboration with Oracle to make Ubuntu images available on Oracle Cloud. Under ...

In Court, Oracle Claims Google’s Android Has Generated $31 Billion in Revenue, $22 Billion in Profit
... for Bloomberg: Google Inc.’s Android operating system has generated revenue of $31 billion and $22 billion in profit, a lawyer for Oracle Corp. ...

Salesforce has promoted Oracle's former top sales exec to be its new COO
... Marc Benioff, who is a huge angel investor). Meanwhile, Block has done extremely well at Salesforce since he left his old alma mater, Oracle, ...

Oracle raises questions on open-source license for Android with OpenJDK
Oracle has raised questions whether a version of Google's Android operating system running OpenJDK code will get an open-source license. Google ...