after sol 10 installation; grub appears

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

hi

i installed sol 10 thru DVD on IBM 336 machine. but, after installation
it takes me to grub.
how to start sol 10 in text mode?

pl pl help.

Thanks

0
Reply shuklameeta (7) 11/23/2006 1:05:47 PM

See related articles to this posting

rinku sharma wrote:
> hi
>
> i installed sol 10 thru DVD on IBM 336 machine. but, after installation
> it takes me to grub.
> how to start sol 10 in text mode?
>
> pl pl help.
>
> Thanks

Hi,
What Options do you have on the grub screen?
The standard is :-
Solaris 10
Solaris failsafe
If you have a windows partition you will also have :-
Windows

If you select Solaris 10
The system will boot multi user and start the Xorg server with the
dtgreet program
At this point you can select the command line prompt
You can then login as root and stop the dtgreet

svcs -a | grep login
enabled       16:21:06 svc:/application/graphical-login/dtlogin:default
disabled       16:21:35 svc:/network/login:eklogin
disabled       16:21:35 svc:/network/login:klogin
online         16:21:32 svc:/system/console-login:default
disabled         16:21:34 svc:/application/gdm2-login:default
online         16:21:37 svc:/network/login:rlogin

svcadm disable svc:/application/graphical-login/dtlogin:default

To remove the grub splash screen.
Remove the line in /boot/grub/menu.lst

splashimage /boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz

Hope this helps :-)

Cheers
Richard.
0
Reply Richard 11/23/2006 4:12:10 PM

Hi Richard,

I appreciate your quick response !!

I have to completed a dual boot installation of Solaris 10 and Linux.
First i installed Solaris 10 thru DVD. After installation osf Sol 10
grub> appers after grub loading stage 2.

What does this mean ? Is something wrong in installation ?
I choose Entire distribution + OEM.is it okay for IBM X86 machine.

Please repply asap.

Thanks

Richard Skelton wrote:
> rinku sharma wrote:
> > hi
> >
> > i installed sol 10 thru DVD on IBM 336 machine. but, after installation
> > it takes me to grub.
> > how to start sol 10 in text mode?
> >
> > pl pl help.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> Hi,
> What Options do you have on the grub screen?
> The standard is :-
> Solaris 10
> Solaris failsafe
> If you have a windows partition you will also have :-
> Windows
>
> If you select Solaris 10
> The system will boot multi user and start the Xorg server with the
> dtgreet program
> At this point you can select the command line prompt
> You can then login as root and stop the dtgreet
>
> svcs -a | grep login
> enabled       16:21:06 svc:/application/graphical-login/dtlogin:default
> disabled       16:21:35 svc:/network/login:eklogin
> disabled       16:21:35 svc:/network/login:klogin
> online         16:21:32 svc:/system/console-login:default
> disabled         16:21:34 svc:/application/gdm2-login:default
> online         16:21:37 svc:/network/login:rlogin
>
> svcadm disable svc:/application/graphical-login/dtlogin:default
>
> To remove the grub splash screen.
> Remove the line in /boot/grub/menu.lst
>
> splashimage /boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz
>
> Hope this helps :-)
>
> Cheers
> Richard.

0
Reply rinku 11/24/2006 5:23:22 AM

rinku sharma wrote:
> Hi Richard,
>
> I appreciate your quick response !!
>
> I have to completed a dual boot installation of Solaris 10 and Linux.
> First i installed Solaris 10 thru DVD. After installation osf Sol 10
> grub> appers after grub loading stage 2.

Sounds like the install of grub has failed.
I would re-install Linux first then Solaris.
> What does this mean ? Is something wrong in installation ?
> I choose Entire distribution + OEM.is it okay for IBM X86 machine.
>
> Please repply asap.
>

> Thanks
>

> Richard Skelton wrote:
>
>>rinku sharma wrote:
>>
>>>hi
>>>
>>>i installed sol 10 thru DVD on IBM 336 machine. but, after installation
>>>it takes me to grub.
>>>how to start sol 10 in text mode?
>>>
>>>pl pl help.
>>>
>>>Thanks
>>>

>>Hi,
>>What Options do you have on the grub screen?
>>The standard is :-
>>Solaris 10
>>Solaris failsafe
>>If you have a windows partition you will also have :-
>>Windows
>>
>>If you select Solaris 10
>>The system will boot multi user and start the Xorg server with the
>>dtgreet program
>>At this point you can select the command line prompt
>>You can then login as root and stop the dtgreet
>>
>>svcs -a | grep login
>>enabled       16:21:06 svc:/application/graphical-login/dtlogin:default
>>disabled       16:21:35 svc:/network/login:eklogin
>>disabled       16:21:35 svc:/network/login:klogin
>>online         16:21:32 svc:/system/console-login:default
>>disabled         16:21:34 svc:/application/gdm2-login:default
>>online         16:21:37 svc:/network/login:rlogin
>>
>>svcadm disable svc:/application/graphical-login/dtlogin:default
>>
>>To remove the grub splash screen.
>>Remove the line in /boot/grub/menu.lst
>>
>>splashimage /boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz
>>
>>Hope this helps :-)
>>
>>Cheers
>>Richard.

0
Reply Richard 11/24/2006 9:40:35 AM

"rinku sharma" <shuklameeta@yahoo.co.in> writes:

> I have to completed a dual boot installation of Solaris 10 and Linux.
> First i installed Solaris 10 thru DVD. After installation osf Sol 10
> grub> appers after grub loading stage 2.
>
> What does this mean ?

GRUB is unable to mount Solaris' root filesystem or is unable to read
the file /boot/grub/menu.lst; so the default boot menu doesn't appear;
and GRUB drops into command line mode.

At the "grub>" prompt, try commands like this:

   cat /<TAB>              <== press the TAB key after the slash

     (Shoudn't report read errors)

   cat /boot/grub/menu.lst

     (Should display the menu.lst configuration text file)

   cat (<TAB>             <== press the TAB key after parenthesis

     (Should list the available bios boot devices)

   cat (hd0,0,a)/boot/grub/menu.lst

     (Should type the menu.lst file, specifiying the exact
     location of the root filesystem)
0
Reply Juergen 11/24/2006 4:37:15 PM
comp.unix.solaris 25706 articles. 86 followers. Post

[PageSpeed] 4/16/2014 1:24:10 PM

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

grub appers after sol 10 installation
hi i installed sol 10 thru DVD on IBM 336 machine. but, after installation it takes me to grub. how to start sol 10 in text mode? pl pl help. Thanks ...

How do i get Solaris 10 x86 installer to install Grub?
Hi I wonder if anyone can help me? I am new to Solaris. I downloaded the ISO disk image for Solaris 10 (x86) from Sun's website and burned it to a DVD. I booted my PC from the DVD and chose the interactive install session. 1 hour later all the files had installed to the partition I'd chosen and the computer reset however Solaris 10 did not install the Sun version of Grub bootloader. I currently have Windows XP and Ubuntu Linux installed on my computer and the Linux Grub bootloader is installed however i read on the Sun website that only Sun's version of Grub supports the U...

VTOC changes between Sol. 10 08/07 and 10/08 SPARC Install DVD
Hi, the virtual tabel of contents (VTOC) of the Sol. 10 08/07 SPARC Install DVD (prtvtoc output) was: * /dev/rdsk/c1t0d0s0 partition map * * Dimensions: * 512 bytes/sector * 640 sectors/track * 1 tracks/cylinder * 640 sectors/cylinder * 2048 cylinders * 2048 accessible cylinders * * Flags: * 1: unmountable * 10: read-only * * First Sector Last * Partition Tag Flags Sector Count Sector Mount Directory 0 4 10 0 6421120 6421119 1 2 10 6421120 373120 6794239 2 0 ...

sol 10 / install / networking
i'm trying to install solaris 10 on a dell 8200 (desktop). however, i can't get a network connection. i'm pretty sure that i've specified correct DNS-servers etc. during the boot sequence, the message "attemp to configure ip0br..." is followed by "skipped ip0br...". on another partition, i've win xp and i'm perfectly residing in the network. any help appreciated, thanks. On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 18:53:40 +0200, Charles K. Thompson IV wrote: > i'm trying to install solaris 10 on a dell 8200 (desktop). however, i can't > get a netwo...

after installation solaris 10 going to grub
hi i installed sol 10 thru DVD on IBM 336 machine. but, after installation it takes me to grub> what to do? how to start sol 10 in text mode? pl pl help. Thanks ...

Installing firefox3.x on Sol. 10
# pkginfo -l SFWfirefox PKGINST: SFWfirefox NAME: Mozilla Firefox Web browser CATEGORY: application ARCH: sparc VERSION: 3.0.4,REV=2008.11.04.17.21.27 BASEDIR: / DESC: Mozilla Firefox Web browser PSTAMP: grandslam20081104172128 INSTDATE: Dec 23 2008 17:03 STATUS: completely installed FILES: 230 installed pathnames 8 shared pathnames 30 directories 43 executables 127172 blocks used (approx) > /opt/sfw/bin/firefox ld.so.1: firefox-bin: fatal: libpixman-1.so.0: open...

network setup problems on new sol 10 install
I am running a simple home network. server to linksys router/switch to dsl modem. I am able to setup free bsd, solaris 8,9 to go to the internet with just the standard resolv.conf, nsswitch.conf, default router files. This does not work with the solaris 10 install. I am multi booting the OS'es on the same box. So I am sure about the hardware being good. I tried installing the s10 using dhcp and that did not work either. Is there some big difference in setting up the networking for solaris 10 and solaris 8/9 ???? TIA /markt matusi wrote: > I am running a simple home network...

Installing Solaris 10 x86 in addition to Linux and Windows with GRUB
Hi, I have a notebook, where I have Linux and Windows XP installed. The boot manager is GRUB, located in the MBR of /dev/hda, this is the only hard drive in the notebook. I want to install Solaris 10 x86. As far as I know under Windows and Linux partitions are recognized based on what is written in the MBR and - if extended partition exists - in the beginning of extended partition. How Solaris recognizes partitions ? I am afraid that during installation I will break the partition table in the MBR. I especially cannot afford to lose the Windows Xp installation, because I have lost the ...

network setup problems on new sol 10 install #2
I am running a simple home network. server to linksys router/switch to dsl modem. I am able to setup free bsd, solaris 8,9 to go to the internet with just the standard resolv.conf, nsswitch.conf, default router files. This does not work with the solaris 10 install. I am multi booting the OS'es on the same box. So I am sure about the hardware being good. I tried installing the s10 using dhcp and that did not work either. Is there some big difference in setting up the networking for solaris 10 and solaris 8/9 ???? TIA /markt matusi <yuid4matusi@yahoo.com> writes: > I a...

sol 10 x86 install: how to get rid of /export/home
hi all, I tried to install the latest X86 sol 10 but when it comes to layout the filesystem on the disk, the "change" option does not allow to modify the size of /export/home, in fact only the root and swap partition are shown. Any help appreciated. adirtymindisajoyforever <getridofthespam@yahoo.com> wrote: > to layout the filesystem on the disk, the "change" option > does not allow to modify the size of /export/home, in fact > only the root and swap partition are shown. Is /export/home separate at all? Perhaps it's merged into / ? -- Brandon Hume ...

New install Sol 10, web browser under Java desktop
Hi, TOTAL newbie to solaris except the very basics under solaris 7 years ago. Just upgraded to Solaris 10, and love the look of the Java desktop, but the Mozilla web browser refuses to run. When double clicked, just does nowt. If I log off and back on under CDE desktop, Mozilla runs fine. This is a new clean install and no errors reported during install. What am I doing wrong??? System is Ultra 10 333 with 256MB ram. Many thanks Adrian Hume Adrian Hume <vstech@onetel.net> writes in comp.sys.sun.apps: |Hi, TOTAL newbie to solaris except the very basics under solaris 7 y...

Sol 10 x86 Update 3 boot hangs following installation
I have been having a problem installing and configuring Solaris 10 update 3 (11/06) on Sun x86 servers. The problem has occurred on v40z, X2100 and x4200 systems. Basically the install itself goes smoothly and following the initial reboot, everything looks good. The system will boot up and configure networking with no problems. The problem seems to occur when the system is rebooted following some post install configuration which is routine configuration of nis, the automounter and some additional nfs mounts. The system continues to work as expected during this configuration but when the syste...

Problem installing sunpci ii 2.3.2 software in U30/Sol 10 box
I am trying to get a sunpci ii (600MHz) card working in my U30 running Solaris 10. So, I download it and try to install the package: # pkgadd -d SunPCi The following packages are available: 1 SUNWspci2 SunPCi II (sparc) 2.3.2 Select package(s) you wish to process (or 'all' to process all packages). (default: all) [?,??,q]: Processing package instance <SUNWspci2> from </export/home/raub/todo/Emulator/SunPCi> SunPCi II(sparc) 2.3.2 Copyright 2002 Sun Microsystems, Inc. All rights reserved. Use is subject to license terms. Using </opt&...

Installing MAC OS X 10.1.4, planning 10.3 install as well.
Hi, I changed my Hard drive from a 4 GB to an 18 GB Travelstar (I posted early about using it). I have partitioned it to a 7.7 GB and a 9.2 GB. I installed 9.2 on the 7.7 GB and ran the 10.1.4 install (same way I did with my old drive) but this time, the 10 X install will not detect my 9.2 install, it will ask me to erase the hard drive contents. I then continued, then the install will just hang intermittently, one time during the time it will ask for the language and most often when it is copying the basic config files. Can I install OS X 10.3 here, I know it is not supported by u...

HELP: Clean Installing 10.3 AFTER installing 10.3.2
The blasted CD won't let me... I want to do a clean install of 10.3, but the CD complains that there's already a later version (10.3.2) in the hard disk. How can I do a clean install of 10.3??? Thanks! Entity Dokker spoke thus: > I want to do a clean install of 10.3, but the CD complains that > there's already a later version (10.3.2) in the hard disk. Sounds like you need to boot from the CD holding down the "c" key. --Gnarlie In article <rz2Fb.171206$Eq1.83752@twister.rdc-kc.rr.com>, "Dokker" <newzzz@mn.rr.com> wrote: > The bla...

How to install Ubuntu on a Solaris 10 installation?
Hello I've got a x86 PC with one HDD and Solaris 10 on it. I would like to install Ubuntu side-by-side to S10, but don't know how. S10 starts with GRUB. Is there a way to convert or shrink the S10 partition to have some space for Linux? Thanks Vittorio On 2006-06-19 17:00, vittoriob@gmail.com wrote: > Hello > > I've got a x86 PC with one HDD and Solaris 10 on it. > > I would like to install Ubuntu side-by-side to S10, but don't know how. > > S10 starts with GRUB. > > Is there a way to convert or shrink the S10 partition to have some > sp...

Mint 10.10 Install failure.
I'm not an Ubuntu,Debian,Mint fan, but the new version of Mint caught my eye. I currently have Vector 6 Light installed on my laptop, simple and quick install on a Fujitsu Siemens Amilo A2000. 768MByte Ram and 120GByte Hard drive dual booting with XP Pro. It's very quick running Vector Light but does have one limitation, wireless. There isn't a built in wireless card so I use a pcmcia card. With XP and the drivers installed it works no problem. With Vector, no chance, not even with ndiswrapper. So I thought, let's try Mint. It's supposed to be able to supp...

Installing solaris 10 10/08
I used CD's to install Solaris 10 10/08 on two E450's, and on an E 250. I found that while the E450's had almost exactly same h/w configuration, the install program behaved differently.......I did not, for instance, on one E450, get any options before getting the "do you want to enable remote services" on the other E450, I did. This seem even wierder on the E 250, here, using the same CD's, I got an option for ZFS (I got a choice between ZFS and UFS), on the E 450's I did not. All systems seem to have UltrasparcII processors of 400MHz or better, the 250 is sing...

Sol 9/ Sol 10 open() different
using truss against the below program, I've observed that open() returns "3" on Sol 9 and "0" on Sol 10. I thought "0" was reserved for stdin. I'd value any comments. int main( int argc, char* argv[] ) { int fileHandle; FILE* pFile; pFile = freopen( "/dev/null/", "r", stdin ); pFile = freopen( "/dev/null/", "w", stderr ); pFile = freopen( "/dev/null/", "w", stdout ); fileHandle = open( "garg", O_RDWR ); return 0; } ...

ZFS missing from installation of Solaris 10
Hello! To my big surprise, I just discovered that one of "my" Solaris 10 Servers is missing ZFS :( Where can I download the ZFS packages, so that I can install it on this server? Thanks, Alexander Skwar Alexander Skwar <alexander@skwar.name> writes: >Hello! >To my big surprise, I just discovered that one of "my" Solaris >10 Servers is missing ZFS :( >Where can I download the ZFS packages, so that I can install >it on this server? You need to upgrade to release 06/06 or later. (Though I think there's an appropriate patch bundle also) Caspe...

solaris 10 installation on sparc ultra 10
Hi there I'm trying to install solaris 10 on sparc ultra 10 After boot cdrom the systems try to come up, and I receive a warning: setting ufs_ninode to max value <value>... And the installation stucks, nthing happen more. Could u kind help on this? I tried 2 different DVDs burned at different speed (2X - 8X). Have u ever seen this behaviour? In article <cfbe3fd9-79f4-459b-89ca-30e96de83245@u7g2000yqm.googlegroups.com> mammut75 <erforcella@gmail.com> writes: >Hi there >I'm trying to install solaris 10 on sparc ultra 10 >After boot cdrom the sys...

First 10 programs installed after installing Linux?
Hi all, Slashdot had this on their website, but I thought I'd get the same question going here. What are the first 10 programs you install after a clean OS installation on Linux? Personally here's my list (in no real order): Gkrellm Latest version of Mozilla Latest vesrion of Open Office Real Player BitTorrent Apt-get (if not already installed) Gimp 2.0 Several Astronomy programs .... ya know, everything else all modern Distros already have. I can't think of two more for Linux. And for Windows - after 2 hours of running service packs and updates: Virus scanner Spyware scanner...

Installing 10.2.0 in Solaris 10
Hi, we tried to install a 10g on solaris. While the linking phase the following error occurs: INFO: Linking /app/oracle/product/10.2.0/Db_1/precomp/lib/proc INFO: ld: fatal: file /app/oracle/product/10.2.0/Db_1/lib32/libclntsh.so: unknown file type ld: fatal: file /app/oracle/product/10.2.0/Db_1/lib//libncds10.a: unknown file type ld: fatal: library -ldce: not found ld: fatal: file /app/oracle/product/10.2.0/Db_1/lib//libndce10.a: unknown file type ld: fatal: library -ldce: not found ld: fatal: file /app/oracle/product/10.2.0/Db_1/lib//libncds10.a: unknown file type ld: fatal: library ...

10.6 install over 10.6 beta?
Will the 10.6 update disk install over the 10.6 beta that I've been running? In article <klein-B57288.16251024082009@news.loyno.edu>, Mike Klein <klein@loyno.edu> wrote: > Will the 10.6 update disk install over the 10.6 beta that I've been > running? If you have the beta legally, you should already know the answer to that. -- Member National Rifle Association Member American Civil Liberties Union Member Human Rights Campaign In article <michelle-30BF6A.17504524082009@news.eternal-september.org>, Michelle Steiner <michelle@michelle.org> wrote: &g...