after sol 10 installation; grub appears

hi

i installed sol 10 thru DVD on IBM 336 machine. but, after installation
it takes me to grub.
how to start sol 10 in text mode?

pl pl help.

Thanks

rinku sharma wrote:
> hi
>
> i installed sol 10 thru DVD on IBM 336 machine. but, after installation
> it takes me to grub.
> how to start sol 10 in text mode?
>
> pl pl help.
>
> Thanks

Hi,
What Options do you have on the grub screen?
The standard is :-
Solaris 10
Solaris failsafe
If you have a windows partition you will also have :-
Windows

If you select Solaris 10
The system will boot multi user and start the Xorg server with the
dtgreet program
At this point you can select the command line prompt
You can then login as root and stop the dtgreet

svcs -a | grep login
enabled       16:21:06 svc:/application/graphical-login/dtlogin:default
disabled       16:21:35 svc:/network/login:eklogin
disabled       16:21:35 svc:/network/login:klogin
online         16:21:32 svc:/system/console-login:default
disabled         16:21:34 svc:/application/gdm2-login:default
online         16:21:37 svc:/network/login:rlogin

svcadm disable svc:/application/graphical-login/dtlogin:default

To remove the grub splash screen.
Remove the line in /boot/grub/menu.lst

splashimage /boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz

Hope this helps :-)

Cheers
Richard.
0
Richard
11/23/2006 4:12:10 PM
Hi Richard,

I appreciate your quick response !!

I have to completed a dual boot installation of Solaris 10 and Linux.
First i installed Solaris 10 thru DVD. After installation osf Sol 10
grub> appers after grub loading stage 2.

What does this mean ? Is something wrong in installation ?
I choose Entire distribution + OEM.is it okay for IBM X86 machine.

Please repply asap.

Thanks

Richard Skelton wrote:
> rinku sharma wrote:
> > hi
> >
> > i installed sol 10 thru DVD on IBM 336 machine. but, after installation
> > it takes me to grub.
> > how to start sol 10 in text mode?
> >
> > pl pl help.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> Hi,
> What Options do you have on the grub screen?
> The standard is :-
> Solaris 10
> Solaris failsafe
> If you have a windows partition you will also have :-
> Windows
>
> If you select Solaris 10
> The system will boot multi user and start the Xorg server with the
> dtgreet program
> At this point you can select the command line prompt
> You can then login as root and stop the dtgreet
>
> svcs -a | grep login
> enabled       16:21:06 svc:/application/graphical-login/dtlogin:default
> disabled       16:21:35 svc:/network/login:eklogin
> disabled       16:21:35 svc:/network/login:klogin
> online         16:21:32 svc:/system/console-login:default
> disabled         16:21:34 svc:/application/gdm2-login:default
> online         16:21:37 svc:/network/login:rlogin
>
> svcadm disable svc:/application/graphical-login/dtlogin:default
>
> To remove the grub splash screen.
> Remove the line in /boot/grub/menu.lst
>
> splashimage /boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz
>
> Hope this helps :-)
>
> Cheers
> Richard.

0
rinku
11/24/2006 5:23:22 AM
rinku sharma wrote:
> Hi Richard,
>
> I appreciate your quick response !!
>
> I have to completed a dual boot installation of Solaris 10 and Linux.
> First i installed Solaris 10 thru DVD. After installation osf Sol 10
> grub> appers after grub loading stage 2.

Sounds like the install of grub has failed.
I would re-install Linux first then Solaris.
> What does this mean ? Is something wrong in installation ?
> I choose Entire distribution + OEM.is it okay for IBM X86 machine.
>
> Please repply asap.
>

> Thanks
>

> Richard Skelton wrote:
>
>>rinku sharma wrote:
>>
>>>hi
>>>
>>>i installed sol 10 thru DVD on IBM 336 machine. but, after installation
>>>it takes me to grub.
>>>how to start sol 10 in text mode?
>>>
>>>pl pl help.
>>>
>>>Thanks
>>>

>>Hi,
>>What Options do you have on the grub screen?
>>The standard is :-
>>Solaris 10
>>Solaris failsafe
>>If you have a windows partition you will also have :-
>>Windows
>>
>>If you select Solaris 10
>>The system will boot multi user and start the Xorg server with the
>>dtgreet program
>>At this point you can select the command line prompt
>>You can then login as root and stop the dtgreet
>>
>>svcs -a | grep login
>>enabled       16:21:06 svc:/application/graphical-login/dtlogin:default
>>disabled       16:21:35 svc:/network/login:eklogin
>>disabled       16:21:35 svc:/network/login:klogin
>>online         16:21:32 svc:/system/console-login:default
>>disabled         16:21:34 svc:/application/gdm2-login:default
>>online         16:21:37 svc:/network/login:rlogin
>>
>>svcadm disable svc:/application/graphical-login/dtlogin:default
>>
>>To remove the grub splash screen.
>>Remove the line in /boot/grub/menu.lst
>>
>>splashimage /boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz
>>
>>Hope this helps :-)
>>
>>Cheers
>>Richard.

0
Richard
11/24/2006 9:40:35 AM
"rinku sharma" <shuklameeta@yahoo.co.in> writes:

> I have to completed a dual boot installation of Solaris 10 and Linux.
> First i installed Solaris 10 thru DVD. After installation osf Sol 10
> grub> appers after grub loading stage 2.
>
> What does this mean ?

GRUB is unable to mount Solaris' root filesystem or is unable to read
the file /boot/grub/menu.lst; so the default boot menu doesn't appear;
and GRUB drops into command line mode.

At the "grub>" prompt, try commands like this:

   cat /<TAB>              <== press the TAB key after the slash

     (Shoudn't report read errors)

   cat /boot/grub/menu.lst

     (Should display the menu.lst configuration text file)

   cat (<TAB>             <== press the TAB key after parenthesis

     (Should list the available bios boot devices)

   cat (hd0,0,a)/boot/grub/menu.lst

     (Should type the menu.lst file, specifiying the exact
     location of the root filesystem)
0
Juergen