Back up and restore ZFS file systems

I wrote two scripts zfsdumpd.sh and zfsrestored.sh to back up and
restore ZFS.  They are handy especially when a system has many ZFSs.
The script can back up and restore all of ZFSs at one time.

http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/content/submitted/zfsdumpd_zfsrestored.jsp

Victor

Those scripts look useful.

FYI:  Might also be interested in Tim Foster's automatic ZFS snapshot
scripts:
http://blogs.sun.com/timf/entry/zfs_automatic_snapshots_0_8

One problem I encountered when taking snapshots of large filesystems
(>100G) is described in this bug report:
http://bugs.opensolaris.org/view_bug.do?bug_id=6509628

The above bug is listed as fixed in a Nevada build but I am running
Solaris 10 update 3 (11/06) and experienced it.
I don't know if it is corrected in s10u4 (8/07) release.

The problem was destroying a snapshot, which is supposed to be fast,
was taking hours as well as using 100% of a CPU.
There is a workaround described in the above bug report which is to
make my current working directory to be inside the filesystem which
was snapshotted, then trying to unmount it  The umount will fail
(because the filesystem is in use due to it being my working
directory, if not for other reasons.)  But, the side effect is that it
will somehow let the snapshot be destroyed in a reasonable amount of
time (a few seconds) and without the CPU looping.

But, a bad side effect of the workaround I have noticed and which is
not reported in the above bug is that if the filesystem which was
snapshotted is shared by NFS, it becomes unshared as a result of the
attempted umount.  That is, even though the umount fails, it causes
the filesystem to be unshared (as if "zfs unshare ..." was run on the
filesystem.)  So, it is necessary to run "zfs share ..." after the
umount in order for NFS to continue working.

0
Doug
11/1/2007 8:23:00 PM
On Nov 1, 3:23 pm, Doug <dy2...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Those scripts look useful.
>
> FYI:  Might also be interested in Tim Foster's automatic ZFS snapshot
> scripts:http://blogs.sun.com/timf/entry/zfs_automatic_snapshots_0_8
>
> One problem I encountered when taking snapshots of large filesystems
> (>100G) is described in this bug report:http://bugs.opensolaris.org/view_bug.do?bug_id=6509628
>
> The above bug is listed as fixed in a Nevada build but I am running
> Solaris 10 update 3 (11/06) and experienced it.
> I don't know if it is corrected in s10u4 (8/07) release.
>
> The problem was destroying a snapshot, which is supposed to be fast,
> was taking hours as well as using 100% of a CPU.
> There is a workaround described in the above bug report which is to
> make my current working directory to be inside the filesystem which
> was snapshotted, then trying to unmount it  The umount will fail
> (because the filesystem is in use due to it being my working
> directory, if not for other reasons.)  But, the side effect is that it
> will somehow let the snapshot be destroyed in a reasonable amount of
> time (a few seconds) and without the CPU looping.
>
> But, a bad side effect of the workaround I have noticed and which is
> not reported in the above bug is that if the filesystem which was
> snapshotted is shared by NFS, it becomes unshared as a result of the
> attempted umount.  That is, even though the umount fails, it causes
> the filesystem to be unshared (as if "zfs unshare ..." was run on the
> filesystem.)  So, it is necessary to run "zfs share ..." after the
> umount in order for NFS to continue working.

Good to know! I'll try it out too.

Victor

0
victorfeng1973

How can I read a spreadsheet file up to 140MB?
I can not&nbsp; read a 141MB spreadsheet file&nbsp;&nbsp;for my application. I got a LabVIEW message : Not enough memory . How can I do ? How are you reading the file? How many points are in it? How is&nbsp;the file&nbsp;structured?&nbsp;What is your LabVIEW version? Did you write the file with a LabVIEW program? &nbsp; Additionally: What are your computer specs? How much RAM? What else have you got running? Questions, questions. I am reading my file with readspreadsheet file.vi LabVIEW 8.0. The file was created by LabVIEW 8.0, too (using write to spreadsheetfil...

Novell giving back to OSS
'Giving back to OSS' - Novell Alastair Otter May 28 2004 - Novell this week said its involvement in the open source community is intended to foster greater development in the sector. Ed Anderson, Novell's vice president for enterprise, said during the opening address ofthe three day long Brainshare conference that the company is trying to "give back to the open source community more than we have taken from it." [..] "Open source also recognises that one size does not fit all and offers us the opportunity to make the software fit our and your needs." ... &qu...

IBM Rapid Restore
I now understand TV R&R on my R51 TP, now I'm ready to tackle my wife's T41, which has IBM Rapid Restore as the back-up utility. First question, is IBM RR equivalent to TV RR? If not, which is better? She has all of the ThinkVantage utilities, with the exception of R&R. She has never done a System Update. She has not knowingly backed up her system, but there are 2 files under 'Single File Restore' that were created in 2004 and again in 2005. Each one appears to contain all the files on her system. I can not right-click these files to see how large they ...

m4a files
Is there any os/2 app to play these? TIA, Pete -- Hi Pete Pete wrote: > Is there any os/2 app to play these? > > TIA, > Pete > > Dunno, not familiar with the file extension. What are they? - video or audio; and what would Windows use to play them? Regards Pete On Wed, 18 Oct 2006 18:48:34 UTC, Peter Brown <losepeteSPAM-ME-NOT@ntlworld.com> wrote: -> Hi Pete -> -> Pete wrote: -> > Is there any os/2 app to play these? -> > -> > TIA, -> > Pete -> > -> > -> -> ...

I am Back!
After a much needed and lengthy rest, I have decided to return. So trolls, prepare to clear on out of Megakat City! On Friday, February 15, 2013 12:09:09 AM UTC-5, Chance Furlong wrote: > After a much needed and lengthy rest, I have decided to return. So > > trolls, prepare to clear on out of Megakat City! Early release. On 2/15/13 12:14 AM, MuahMan wrote: > On Friday, February 15, 2013 12:09:09 AM UTC-5, Chance Furlong wrote: >> After a much needed and lengthy rest, I have decided to return. So >> trolls, prepare to clear on out of Megakat City! >...

Errors on restoring a 7.1.2 dump to 7.3.3
On restoring a plain-text SQL script file dumped from a version 7.1.2 database to 7.3.3 I got the following errors. ERROR: copy: line 67568, Temporary log file is full lost synchronization with server, resetting connection ERROR: copy: line 66379, Temporary log file is full lost synchronization with server, resetting connection ERROR: copy: line 54948, Temporary log file is full lost synchronization with server, resetting connection ...and many=20 ERROR: Default table space is full ....errors. Could any one tell me what this is indicative of and perhaps how to fix it?...

Backing store issue
I'm running IDL 6.2 on a SUN Blade 2000 running Solaris 8.0 I'm having a weird backing store problem. I have an application in which I sometimes display very large images (eg 23123 x 3193 pixels). What I do is create a scrolled draw widget of the same size as the image and tv the image into that window. Then, I get to scroll around the image very rapidly without having to issue any commands to redraw the parts that become visible. It seems this should work fine as long as the video card has enough memory. However, the behavoir I am seeing seems as though IDL thinks the vide...

Getting Files By Mail: Server Performance #708
FTPMail, Agora, etc. statistics for Mon 11 Jul 2005, posted Tue,= 12 Jul 2005 05:00:33 GMT Less than 10 minutes getweb@healthnet.org iliad@prime.jsc.nasa.gov gopher@dna.affrc.go.jp 10 minutes-1 hour www4mail@wm.ictp.trieste.it agora@dna.affrc.go.jp 1-4 hours www@web2mail.com text@pagegetter.com 4-10 hours None More than 10 hours None Response within 4 hours in at least 5 out of 7 recent tests agora@dna.affrc.go.jp getweb@healthnet.org gopher@dna.affrc.go.jp iliad@prime.jsc.nasa.gov www4mail@wm.ictp.trieste.it Note 1: getweb@usa.healthnet.org doesn't reply to .net or .com= ...

CAnnot import Materials with .OBJ file... HELP!
I can't seem to import my materials with an .OBJ file that i export from 3ds max. I can get the mesh to open in Lightwave, but, although there are materials listed in the Surface editor, they are just the default grey... Can anyone point out where I am going wrong? many thanks mart MArtin Chiselwitt wrote: > I can't seem to import my materials with an .OBJ file that i export from > 3ds max. > I can get the mesh to open in Lightwave, but, although there are > materials listed in the Surface editor, they are just the default > grey... Can anyone point out where I am g...

A look back.
I was looking for some references as to when precisely the Radius Full Page Display was introduced and I found this: <http://www.archive.org/details/DesktopP1986> "The Computer Chronicles", the guest host of which was none other than Gary Kildall. Other guests on this show from October 16, 1986 included Michael Boich, President of Radius Inc. (there to show off their new Full Page Display) and Paul Brainerd of Aldus Corporation. They have a collection of the shows at archive.org, so that's just got to be worth a look! -- Alan Baker Vancouver, British Columbia &qu...

Appeals Court Backs Bush on Wiretaps
By PETE YOST, Associated Press Writer A federal appeals court sided with the Bush administration Friday on an electronic surveillance issue, making it easier to tap into Internet phone calls and broadband transmissions. The court ruled 2-1 in favor of the Federal Communications Commission, which says equipment using the new technologies must be able to accommodate police wiretaps under the 1994 Communications Assistance for Law Enforcement Act, known as CALEA. Judge David Sentelle called the agency's reading of the law a reasonable interpretation. In dissent, Judge Harry Edw...

pgsql-server/src backend/catalog/index.c backe ...
CVSROOT: /cvsroot Module name: pgsql-server Changes by: petere@svr1.postgresql.org 03/09/28 21:05:25 Modified files: src/backend/catalog: index.c pg_proc.c src/backend/commands: dbcommands.c functioncmds.c indexcmds.c tablecmds.c typecmds.c user.c vacuum.c src/backend/parser: parse_coerce.c parse_func.c src/backend/port: sysv_shmem.c src/backend/rewrite: rewriteDefine.c src/backend/storage/freespace: freespace.c src/backend/storage/page: bufpage.c src/backend/tcop: postgres.c src/backend/utils/adt: formatting.c geo_ops.c mac.c nabstime.c ...

RE: Can't complete recovery following successful onbar restore #2
I have seen this a few times when I am doing multiple restores of live databases to a backup server. My solution has been to reboot the server and start again. The scripts I use delete all devices and volumes before it starts, so is always starting from a clean position. Easy to do on a test server. I have the luxury of being the only one to know when I screw Up :-) Colin Bull c.bull@videonetworks.com > -----Original Message----- > From: owner-informix-list@iiug.org > [mailto:owner-informix-list@iiug.org]On Behalf Of Neil Truby > Sent: 29 January 2004 21:48 >...

m file template
Hello everybody, You all well know that when you create a new m-file by right clicking in the file browser inside Matlab a file with a prebuilt .m template for the function appears. My question now is simple: how do you change that template? Thanks Sorry to bother again, but perhaps this time will answer. Let me also express my request more clearly. When I create a new m.file in the workspace file browser the name you give the file initialized the content of the function script as follows (i am creating file dot_product.m): function [ output_args ] = dot_product( input_args ) %D...

Reading LAST line from text file without iterating through the file?
Is it possible to read the last text line from a text file WITHOUT reading the previous (n-1) lines? Robin On Wed, 23 Feb 2011 15:59:36 +0000, Robin Wenger wrote: > Is it possible to read the last text line from a text file WITHOUT > reading the previous (n-1) lines? > > Robin You'd need to use RandomAccess, seek to the end of the file, work your way back looking for a linefeed/CR, and then slurp forward again into a buffer. While seeking backwards you can count characters and thus know exactly how big to make the StringBuilder for maximum efficiency. ...

Call for Papers with Extended Deadline: Special Issue on Real Life Applications of Fuzzy Logic, Advances in Fuzzy Systems
Call for Papers with Extended Deadline: Special Issue on Real Life Applications of Fuzzy Logic, Advances in Fuzzy Systems Web site: http://www.hindawi.com/journals/afs/si/537295/cfp/ The objective of this special issue is to explore the advances of fuzzy logic in a large number of real life applications and commercial products in a variety of fields. Although fuzzy logic has applications in a number of different areas, it is not yet known to nonfuzzy people how it can be applied in different products that are available in the market. For nonfuzzy people, the word =93fuzzy=94 is...

File::Spec(::Unix) eludes me.
I'm trying to use the File::Spec module under Linux to make my code more portable. However, it seems to have a non-intuitive handing of the "up directory" string (".." under Unix.) This first example is from the Perl 5.8.6 source code, so this is the way it's "supposed" to work: perl -MFile::Spec -e \ 'print File::Spec->canonpath("///../../..//./././a//b/.././c/././")' or using my simpler "/a/b/../c": yields -> '/a/b/../c' Isn't that better expressed "/a/c"? The same thing happens wit...

How to tell if a (script) file is being dotted?
I believe I can accomplish this by comparing the value of $0 with the name of the file. $0 appears to be the calling script if a file is being dotted or the file itself if it is being run directly. But what if I don't know (or don't want to hardcode) the name of the file that contains the code being run? Is there a *direct* way of telling in ksh or bash that code is being run from a dotted file rather than from a file being executed directly by the interpreter? In other words, can you distinguish the following two cases, without using the string "myfile"? .. ./myfile ../...

help:character statistic of text file
hi! all, i had a text file as: -------------------------------------------------- 3,3,0,3,0,3,3,1,0,1,3,0,0,3 3,3,0,3,0,3,3,1,0,1,3,0,0,1 3,3,0,3,0,3,3,1,0,1,0,0,0,3 3,3,0,3,0,3,3,1,0,1,0,0,0,1 3,3,0,3,0,3,3,1,0,0,3,0,0,3 3,3,0,3,0,3,3,1,0,0,3,0,0,1 3,3,0,3,0,3,3,1,0,0,0,0,0,3 3,3,0,3,0,3,3,1,0,0,0,0,0,1 3,3,0,3,0,3,3,1,0,3,3,0,0,3 3,3,0,3,0,3,3,1,0,3,3,0,0,1 3,3,0,3,0,3,3,1,0,3,0,0,0,3 3,3,0,3,0,3,3,1,0,3,0,0,0,1 3,3,0,3,0,3,3,0,0,1,3,0,0,3 3,3,0,3,0,3,3,0,0,1,3,0,0,1 3,3,0,3,0,3,3,0,0,1,0,0,0,3 3,3,0,3,0,3,3,0,0,1,0,0,0,1 3,3,0,3,0,3,3,0,0,0,3,0,0,3 3,3,0,3,0,3,3,0,0,0,...

US-TX-Austin: SAP Business Systems Analyst, SAP sales modules (FI, MM, PP...); C (45335957604)
US-TX-Austin: SAP Business Systems Analyst, SAP sales modules (FI, MM, PP...); C (45335957604) ============================================================================================== Position: SAP Business Systems Analyst Reference: SMC01682 Location: Austin TX Duration: C-P Skills: BS in Information Systems, Business, or related field. 5+yrs exp experience implementing and supporting the following SAP sales-related modules: FI, MM, PP, & CRM including Trade Management. Sales-related experienc...

Moving script with GpG from one system to another...secret key not available
Hi all, I have a ksh script that was developed using gpg. It uses gpg to encrypt/decrypt a file containing sensative information for viewing. I know the passphrase when it was on the old system, but when I try to run it on the new system I get errors about the key not being valid: Verifying Signature gpg: Signature made Thu Oct 03 10:15:10 2002 CDT using DSA key ID A820FB5C Decrypting file gpg: encrypted with ELG-E key, ID 680B66A6 gpg: decryption failed: secret key not available Now since I have all the compnents and I know the passphrase, do I just need to re-sign the enc...

back to the future! or the future is back?
synchronet BBS is running on ps2moussa telnet, or http use it with caution :-) Moussa -- The information contained in this post is copyright of the poster, and specifically may not be published in, or used by http://www.jlaforums.com Hi Moussa ! > synchronet BBS is running on ps2moussa telnet, or http > use it with caution :-) Internet these days is largely business and entertainment. If it comes to exchange knowledge and informations nothing beats a newsgroup or a real BBS. And the more basic - the better. Keeping off the dancing balonies and HTML crap. Some...

Back Projection Kernel
Hi Does anyone know how to create the back projection kernel for the IP algorithm, I am referring to the Irani Peleg method for Super Resolution. ...

instructions for setting up a Beowulf system with Pcs
can anyone please refer me to a link (s) of how to setup a simple 10 node Beowulf parallel computer system especially the software setup. I am only a beginer on Linux. thanks > can anyone please refer me to a link (s) of how to setup a simple 10 > node Beowulf parallel computer system especially the software setup. > I am only a beginer on Linux. quite out of date, but for a start a good point: http://www.xtreme-machines.com/x-cluster-qs.html?pp=1 yours, dreamguard. ...

US-IN-Indianapolis: UNIX System Admin, HP-UX, Sun Solaris, 3+yrs exp., Oracle; 6 (45340157604)
US-IN-Indianapolis: UNIX System Admin, HP-UX, Sun Solaris, 3+yrs exp., Oracle; 6 (45340157604) ============================================================================================== Position: UNIX System Admin Reference: SMC01835 Location: Indianapolis IN Duration: 6M Skills: Unix (HP-UX, Sun Solaris). 3+yrs exp administering servers, supporting end users, providing back-up and disaster recovery planning Oracle SQL Server EMC Celerra/Clariion NAS/SAN Citrix Metaframe...