Can't compile with GCC 3.3.3 on 64-bit Solaris9 SPARC?!?

When I run `./configure` on Solaris9 SPARC (64-bit), I get:

checking for gcc... gcc
checking for C compiler default output... configure: error: C compiler
cannot create executables

# isainfo -vk
64-bit sparcv9 kernel modules

Some notes of interest:
- the GCC compiler seems to be working fine, which I tested by compiling
"hello.c", as well as IPFilter (which doesn't use autoconf)
- this seems to happen only on 64-bit SPARC systems, and only with autoconf
(well DUH, since `./configure` is an autoconf generated script)
- GCC version is 3.3.3, installed from blastwave.org (along with the gcc3rt
package)

On Solaris9 x86 as well as Solaris9 SPARC 32-bit everything compiles fine!
WHAT IS GOING ON!?!

0
UNIX

UNIX admin wrote:
> When I run `./configure` on Solaris9 SPARC (64-bit), I get:
>
> checking for gcc... gcc
> checking for C compiler default output... configure: error: C compiler
> cannot create executables

check config.log to see what happened
0
Oscar
8/8/2004 12:32:45 PM
On 2004-08-08 08:32:45 -0400, Oscar del Rio <delrio@mie.utoronto.ca> said:

> UNIX admin wrote:
>> When I run `./configure` on Solaris9 SPARC (64-bit), I get:
>>
>> checking for gcc... gcc
>> checking for C compiler default output... configure: error: C compiler
>> cannot create executables
>
> check config.log to see what happened

Make sure The C preprocessor is in your  path "cpp", its usually found
in /usr/bin/cpp or /usr/local/bin/cpp.

--
Unix Systems Engineer
The City of New York

0
Rodrick
8/8/2004 1:01:57 PM
UNIX admin wrote:
> When I run `./configure` on Solaris9 SPARC (64-bit), I get:
>
> checking for gcc... gcc
> checking for C compiler default output... configure: error: C compiler
> cannot create executables
>
> # isainfo -vk
> 64-bit sparcv9 kernel modules
>
> Some notes of interest:
> - the GCC compiler seems to be working fine, which I tested by compiling
> "hello.c", as well as IPFilter (which doesn't use autoconf)
> - this seems to happen only on 64-bit SPARC systems, and only with autoconf
> (well DUH, since `./configure` is an autoconf generated script)
> - GCC version is 3.3.3, installed from blastwave.org (along with the gcc3rt
> package)
>
> On Solaris9 x86 as well as Solaris9 SPARC 32-bit everything compiles fine!
> WHAT IS GOING ON!?!

   This sounds a lot like problems with paths.  My guess is that your
path doesn't include the compiler or the binary uitls which sit in
/usr/ccs/bin

   /Marcin
0
Marcin
8/9/2004 9:24:18 AM
> check config.log to see what happened

That's the first thing I do.  Does "exit 77" sound descriptive?

Anyways, this was an idiot error type-a-deal: a .cshrc env file was
transported from Solaris9 x86 to Solaris9 SPARC. In it, there was a setting:

"setenv CFLAGS -march=i686 -D_REENTRANT".

I uncovered this almost by an accident. If that doesn't bust your compiler
on SPARC, nothing will.

0
UNIX