CDE and command mode switch ???

We have Solaris 9 installed on SUN Ultra SPARC computer.  This computer is
server and boot up as "command mode" (NO window).  On Solaris 8 I can type
"openwin" go to window mode.  On Solaris 9, I use "dtlogin" go to window mode.
The problem I have is how to go back from CDE to command mode without reboot?

Thanks.

0
aaa

HI,
aaa wrote:
> We have Solaris 9 installed on SUN Ultra SPARC computer.  This computer is
> server and boot up as "command mode" (NO window).  On Solaris 8 I can type
> "openwin" go to window mode.  On Solaris 9, I use "dtlogin" go to window mode.
> The problem I have is how to go back from CDE to command mode without reboot?
>
> Thanks.

if you logout will it reboot then?

Otherwise you can always enable "window mode", as root #
/usr/dt/bin/dtconfig -e

/michael

0
Michael
10/3/2003 9:04:21 PM
aaa <leed@shell.cais.com> writes in comp.unix.solaris:
|On Solaris 9, I use "dtlogin" go to window mode.
|The problem I have is how to go back from CDE to command mode without reboot?

Select command line login from the dtlogin window.

(If you prefer working more like you did in S8 with "openwin",
 add /usr/openwin/bin to your path and run xinit, which is what
 openwin called with options to run the OpenWindows desktop.
 "xinit /usr/dt/bin/Xsession" should start CDE this way.)

Alan Coopersmith                              alanc@alum.calberkeley.org
http://www.CSUA.Berkeley.EDU/~alanc/       aka: Alan.Coopersmith@Sun.COM
Alan
10/3/2003 10:55:42 PM
When I logout it shoe CDE login screen.  What I want is logout go back to
command line.

thanks

In article <pvlfb.31396$dP1.95469@newsc.telia.net>, Michael Laajanen says...

>HI,
>aaa wrote:
>> We have Solaris 9 installed on SUN Ultra SPARC computer.  This computer is
>> server and boot up as "command mode" (NO window).  On Solaris 8 I can type
>>"openwin" go to window mode.  On Solaris 9, I use "dtlogin" go to window mode.
>> The problem I have is how to go back from CDE to command mode without reboot?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>if you logout will it reboot then?
>
>Otherwise you can always enable "window mode", as root #
>/usr/dt/bin/dtconfig -e
>

>/michael

0
aaa
10/3/2003 11:38:35 PM
aaa wrote:

> When I logout it shoe CDE login screen.  What I want is logout go back to
> command line.

There's a menu option for that on the CDE login screen.

   - Logan

0
Logan
10/4/2003 12:18:42 AM
On 3 Oct 2003 13:13:52 -0700, aaa <leed@shell.cais.com> wrote:

>We have Solaris 9 installed on SUN Ultra SPARC computer.  This computer is
>server and boot up as "command mode" (NO window).  On Solaris 8 I can type
>"openwin" go to window mode.  On Solaris 9, I use "dtlogin" go to window mode.
>The problem I have is how to go back from CDE to command mode without reboot?

Try /usr/dt/bin/dtconfig -kill

-- Ton
0
Ton

how to paste command to the command line in UNIX display mode?
Hello, I use display mode Unix SAS. After I copied something (e.g., filename or some strings) and tried to paste them into a command line, I couldn't paste it. Instead the following message came up. You must paste into an input field. I really want to paste it instead of writing it into the command line. Did anybody experience this problem and find a solution? Thanks, Duckhye ...

GLUT command line switches for UNIX
Hello. This is my first post to this newsgroup. Having a little trouble trying to figure out the correct switches for UNIX implementation of GLUT, specifically, on SGI's IRIX platform. I've been given a task and an example command line for Win32 but I can't seem to find the coorect switches. The man pages refer to -lglut yet ti doesn't exist. libglut.a seems to be the lib file. Anyway, the example given is as follows: gcc prac9.c -lglut32 -lglu32 -lopengl32 -o prac9.exe Can anyone tell me the equivalent UNIX command? Spidy wrote: > Hello. > > This is my fi...

Solaris CDE Command for reading mail
I am looking for a utility, that comes with Solaris, that provides a GUI interface for reading mail. I am using Hummingbird eXceed and logging into a Solaris Unix server as a standard user. I then switch to the root account and would like to be read root's mail messages using a program in the CDE XWindows environment. Mailtool works in the Open Windows environment and I know there is a utility that works in CDE but I can not remember what it is. On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 12:48:44 -0700, Robert wrote: > I am looking for a utility, that comes with Solaris, that provides a > GUI interfac...

Solaris/Unix commands to find out memory leaks?
The following is an excerpt from one of my older posts which was never answered: -------- how about the reliability of the output given by 'pmap <pid> | grep heap'. Can we consider it as a leak, if the heap size keeps growing? Btw, can there be any other cause for memory leaks? If yes, the above way may not be complete, I suppose. Could somebody clarify? Overall, it is ambiguous about what Simple Solaris commands to use to find out whether there are leaks are not(rather than using tools)? Is there any descriptive paper providing complete information on it? -------- Can anybody...

Unix Command Line
Now, you may think. What is so special about the FIND command? It is just= a pretty straight forward command. You tell it what to search for, and it= finds it for you. You give it some criteria and it weeds out anything tha= t does not match that criteria. The criteria usually will result with fewe= r files to allow you to choose from. Or. you may have the option to use a = wild card character which usually results in more files to choose from. But, what if, I told you that the FIND command is the back bone to how a ba= tch file works. For example, you can use the FIND comman...

Unix Command Line
The navigator is not a file selector, but a quick way to change the prefix = or view a directories contents. I disliked (hate is such a strong word) typing "PREFIX" and then "CATALOG" = to give me a quick reminder of the files I have stored in each directory. = Now I just type "NAV", and walla. now one can quickly navigate and pop in = and out of directories with the arrow keys. The display takes after Windo= ws Explorer with only a tree of directories on the left side and the rest o= f the files on the right that looks something like this. HD Vol...

Unix Command Line
Just finished "The Navigator" command, which now works flawlessly. Had sta= rted on the "Undelete" command when a brainstorm hit me. Why not make a "D= elete" command that works like the Macintosh. So, here are three more comm= ands that I am currently working on to work with the Unix Command Line. DELETE, UNDELETE and EMPTYTRASH DELETE (called DEL for short, so the command is distinguished from Basic.sy= stems Delete command) - This moves the directory entry for the file you wan= t to Delete, to a TRASH folder. Also kept up to date is, a text file ...

Moving from Solaris/CDE to Solaris/GNOME?
Has anyone seen any guidelines, tips, etc. for helping non-technical users move from CDE (or OpenLook... don't laugh) to GNOME? I just made the move a week ago and found that things like menu settings, setup applications, etc. all had to be reestablished. It would be useful to find any notes for locating and perhaps 'converting' files from the previous windowing systems to the new one. -- <URL: http://wiki.tcl.tk/ > <URL: http://www.tcl.tk/ > Even if explicitly stated to the contrary, nothing in this posting should be construed as representing my employer's opini...

Complex mode, automatic switch mode
Hi Everybody I am using Rom 1.19-6 on my 49G and have a few questions. If my calculator is in exact mode, complex mode off, numeric mode off and I try the following: SQ(t)-3*t+5=0 't' QUAD I get the output "! QUAD Error: No solution found". In complex mode a solution is found. Why doesn't it automaticly switch/ or prompt to swich to complex mode? What is flag 120 and flag 123? has they got something to do with this. If it is not supposed to prompt a mode switch, when will it prompt a mode switch (ie. from Real to complex mode? Furthermore, if I enter the expression SQ...

Unix Command Line
Clock GS is more than just a text clock in the top right hand corner of you= r screen. In fact the whole top line displays a little extra information. = How many times have you typed the command PREFIX, just to show you which s= ubdirectory you are currently in. Well, no more. The top line not only sh= ows the time but it constantly shows the current prefix you are currently i= n. The display automatically updates as soon as you change to another pref= ix. And the top line is even protected so that it can not be overwritten or scr= olled off the screen. Other commands, like DIR...

Switch from protected mode to real mode
Ok... let�s keep it simple... How can I call my int 61h from a protected mode 32-bit program, and inside the isr go to real mode again, do file ops and return to protected mode before returning to the program? ...

Switch from protected mode to real mode
Ok... let=B4s keep it simple... How can I call my int 61h from a protected mode 32-bit program, and inside the isr go to real mode again, do file ops and return to protected mode before returning to the program? ...

Switch from protected mode to real mode
Ok... let=B4s keep it simple... How can I call my int 61h from a protected mode 32-bit program, and inside the isr go to real mode again, do file ops and return to protected mode before returning to the program? "gerotica" <pgerotica@gmail.com> wrote in message news:e3135801-fbb7-4a69-bb56-c247631908db@34g2000hsz.googlegroups.com... Ok... let�s keep it simple... How can I call my int 61h from a protected mode 32-bit program, and inside the isr go to real mode again, do file ops and return to protected mode before returning to the program? By installing a R/M TSR th...

switch from normal mode to fullscreen mode
Hi, How can I switch the browser back and forth to fullscreen mode, using javascript on the onclick event of a button ? Thanks samuelberthelot@googlemail.com wrote: > How can I switch the browser back and forth to fullscreen mode, using > javascript on the onclick event of a button ? You cannot. Richard. Samuel, Through the last several posts you've made (no toolbar, etc.) it sounds like you're trying to force the user to do (or actually not do) certain things because it will break your site or it's functionality. Isn't it a better idea to fix those problems and l...

Web resources about - CDE and command mode switch ??? - comp.unix.solaris

Command - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

PSA: You can now type ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ in Google Hangouts with an easy slash command
Sage LaTorra, a Test Engineer at Google, just told the world about an awesome little Easter egg he added to Google Hangouts. He's one to often ...

Mercedes S-Cabrio commands 11 percent premium over coupe
Filed under: Mercedes-Benz , Car Buying , Convertible , Luxury Mercedes released pricing for the new S-Class Cabriolet in Europe, which tells ...

How to start using Google app voice commands to make your life easier
... last time I used Siri for anything but to hear it beatbox (which is tragically awful), but as CNET points out in a new video, the voice commands ...

A rescue puppy is an internet star after learning to smile on command
... video that was viewed over 13 million times . The video was posted by Amanda Robles, his temporary foster owner. It shows him smiling on command, ...

Alabama Probate Judge Faces Conflicting Commands In Same-Sex Marriage Cases
A federal judge refuses to put an order striking down the state's ban on same-sex marriages on hold. Mobile County Probate Judge Don Davis now ...

North American Aerospace Defense Command Tracks Santa’s Flight « CBS New York
The North American Aerospace Defense Command is continuing its tradition of telling youngsters the location of Santa Claus on his annual storybook ...

Rescue puppy flashes "cheesy" grin on command
Video of American Staffordshire Terrier puppy smiling after being told to "Say Cheese" goes viral

IDG Contributor Network: Monkeying around on the bash command line in 2016
... quick-witted, optimistic, ambitious, etc. So, let's see what quick-witted, optimistic, ambitious things we can do to monkey around on the command ...

First Females Start Applying To Join Marine Special Operations Command
'MARSOC remains committed to sustaining and improving our combat effectiveness'