CDE and command mode switch ???

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

We have Solaris 9 installed on SUN Ultra SPARC computer.  This computer is
server and boot up as "command mode" (NO window).  On Solaris 8 I can type
"openwin" go to window mode.  On Solaris 9, I use "dtlogin" go to window mode.
The problem I have is how to go back from CDE to command mode without reboot?

Thanks.

0
Reply aaa 10/3/2003 8:13:52 PM

See related articles to this posting

HI,
aaa wrote:
> We have Solaris 9 installed on SUN Ultra SPARC computer.  This computer is
> server and boot up as "command mode" (NO window).  On Solaris 8 I can type
> "openwin" go to window mode.  On Solaris 9, I use "dtlogin" go to window mode.
> The problem I have is how to go back from CDE to command mode without reboot?
>
> Thanks.

if you logout will it reboot then?

Otherwise you can always enable "window mode", as root #
/usr/dt/bin/dtconfig -e

/michael

0
Reply Michael 10/3/2003 9:04:21 PM

aaa <leed@shell.cais.com> writes in comp.unix.solaris:
|On Solaris 9, I use "dtlogin" go to window mode.
|The problem I have is how to go back from CDE to command mode without reboot?

Select command line login from the dtlogin window.

(If you prefer working more like you did in S8 with "openwin",
 add /usr/openwin/bin to your path and run xinit, which is what
 openwin called with options to run the OpenWindows desktop.
 "xinit /usr/dt/bin/Xsession" should start CDE this way.)

Alan Coopersmith                              alanc@alum.calberkeley.org
http://www.CSUA.Berkeley.EDU/~alanc/       aka: Alan.Coopersmith@Sun.COM
Reply Alan 10/3/2003 10:55:42 PM

When I logout it shoe CDE login screen.  What I want is logout go back to
command line.

thanks

In article <pvlfb.31396$dP1.95469@newsc.telia.net>, Michael Laajanen says...

>HI,
>aaa wrote:
>> We have Solaris 9 installed on SUN Ultra SPARC computer.  This computer is
>> server and boot up as "command mode" (NO window).  On Solaris 8 I can type
>>"openwin" go to window mode.  On Solaris 9, I use "dtlogin" go to window mode.
>> The problem I have is how to go back from CDE to command mode without reboot?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>if you logout will it reboot then?
>
>Otherwise you can always enable "window mode", as root #
>/usr/dt/bin/dtconfig -e
>

>/michael

0
Reply aaa 10/3/2003 11:38:35 PM

aaa wrote:

> When I logout it shoe CDE login screen.  What I want is logout go back to
> command line.

There's a menu option for that on the CDE login screen.

   - Logan

0
Reply Logan 10/4/2003 12:18:42 AM

On 3 Oct 2003 13:13:52 -0700, aaa <leed@shell.cais.com> wrote:

>We have Solaris 9 installed on SUN Ultra SPARC computer.  This computer is
>server and boot up as "command mode" (NO window).  On Solaris 8 I can type
>"openwin" go to window mode.  On Solaris 9, I use "dtlogin" go to window mode.
>The problem I have is how to go back from CDE to command mode without reboot?

Try /usr/dt/bin/dtconfig -kill

-- Ton
0
Reply Ton 10/4/2003 6:21:36 AM
comp.unix.solaris 25770 articles. 87 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Switch from protected mode to real mode
Ok... let�s keep it simple... How can I call my int 61h from a protected mode 32-bit program, and inside the isr go to real mode again, do file ops and return to protected mode before returning to the program? ...

switch from normal mode to fullscreen mode
Hi, How can I switch the browser back and forth to fullscreen mode, using javascript on the onclick event of a button ? Thanks samuelberthelot@googlemail.com wrote: > How can I switch the browser back and forth to fullscreen mode, using > javascript on the onclick event of a button ? You cannot. Richard. Samuel, Through the last several posts you've made (no toolbar, etc.) it sounds like you're trying to force the user to do (or actually not do) certain things because it will break your site or it's functionality. Isn't it a better idea to fix those problems and l...

Complex mode, automatic switch mode
Hi Everybody I am using Rom 1.19-6 on my 49G and have a few questions. If my calculator is in exact mode, complex mode off, numeric mode off and I try the following: SQ(t)-3*t+5=0 't' QUAD I get the output "! QUAD Error: No solution found". In complex mode a solution is found. Why doesn't it automaticly switch/ or prompt to swich to complex mode? What is flag 120 and flag 123? has they got something to do with this. If it is not supposed to prompt a mode switch, when will it prompt a mode switch (ie. from Real to complex mode? Furthermore, if I enter the expression SQ...

Switch from protected mode to real mode
Ok... let=B4s keep it simple... How can I call my int 61h from a protected mode 32-bit program, and inside the isr go to real mode again, do file ops and return to protected mode before returning to the program? ...

Switch from protected mode to real mode
Ok... let=B4s keep it simple... How can I call my int 61h from a protected mode 32-bit program, and inside the isr go to real mode again, do file ops and return to protected mode before returning to the program? "gerotica" <pgerotica@gmail.com> wrote in message news:e3135801-fbb7-4a69-bb56-c247631908db@34g2000hsz.googlegroups.com... Ok... let�s keep it simple... How can I call my int 61h from a protected mode 32-bit program, and inside the isr go to real mode again, do file ops and return to protected mode before returning to the program? By installing a R/M TSR th...

Switch back to Real mode from Protected mode.
Hi, Iam trying to switch back to real mode from protected mode. In Intel S/W manual 3, chapter '9' got the procedure to switch to real mode from protected mode. But even after doing these, still iam unable to execute code under assembler directive .code16. If anyone has written the code to switch back to real mode, please help me. Following is the code which i have written to do switch back to real mode. #define PSEUDO_RM_CSEG 0x20 #define PSEUDO_RM_DSEG 0x28 #define CR0_PE_OFF 0xFFFFFFFE #define CR0_PG_OFF 0x7FFFFFFF ..global main main: prot_real: /* procedure to switch to rea...

Switching to user mode from kernel mode while booting
Hi all, Where can I find the code located, which will switch the kernel back to user mode while booting, I mean, in the case of an x86 during initial bootup, the CS register is assigned the value 0x10 so that it becomes an index to the GDT entry holding the kernel mode code descriptor. Similarly the data segment registers holds the value 0x18. Later at some point the system needs to be brought to user mode (ie CS=0x20 and DS=0x28). At which point is this done? Thanks for all help and advice Gop gopan wrote: > > Hi all, > Where can I find the code l...

EM64T how to switch from 64bit mode back to compatibility mode?
Hi Guys, I'm currently trying programming this new 64bit mode of the newer Intel CPUs supporting EM64T. I'm successfully switching to 64 bit mode, but I have no idea how to switch bach to compatibility mode, but this is necessary when I want to switch even back to real mode. BTW, I'm using FASM. Here a small code example on what I'm doing, or trying to do. (32bit Protected Mode) use32 .... jmp code64i:entry64 back32: retf use64 entry64: .... jmp code32i:back32 <- here the FASM complains, illegal instruction code32i i...

x86, how does a process switch from user mode to kernel mode
I have a naive question about how the context switch between user mode and kernel mode happens in a live processor. Allow me to illustrate my question with an example: if (x == 0) } printf("x is 0"); } If you look at the above snippet of C-code, the printf function call eventually causes the process to execute a jump into a memory location deep inside the kernel. How does the x86 processor know that this "process" is now executing the "kernel" part of its algorithm and graciously switch back to user-mode? I understand the intent, and the software ramifica...

how to switch from 40-column mode to 80-column mode?
I am using the APPLER.EXE emulator. When I boot into ProDOS, it says it do have a 80-column card in Slot 2. But still operator in 40-column mode. How do I switch to 80-column mode (by command?) Cheers, poppyer -- "poppyer" <poppyer@gmail.com> wrote in message news:air6lvqgoe.fsf@clpc78.comlab... : I am using the APPLER.EXE emulator. : : When I boot into ProDOS, it says it do have a 80-column card in Slot 2. : But still operator in 40-column mode. : How do I switch to 80-column mode (by command?) : : Cheers, : poppyer By typing "PR#3" at the command prompt you...

how to paste command to the command line in UNIX display mode?
Hello, I use display mode Unix SAS. After I copied something (e.g., filename or some strings) and tried to paste them into a command line, I couldn't paste it. Instead the following message came up. You must paste into an input field. I really want to paste it instead of writing it into the command line. Did anybody experience this problem and find a solution? Thanks, Duckhye ...

What is the switch frame for Mixed Mode switches caused by interrupts?
What is the switch frame for Mixed Mode switches caused by interrupts? Because that was never documented. ...

Switch command
What is the command in to find out how long it's been since a port was active? -- SMOOVE 91 GSXR 750, 96 Chevy C1500, and 03 350Z Hated By Many... Confronted By None! Pain is weakness leaving the body!!! "it's better to be judged by twelve than carried by six." www.myhooptie.com On Jun 18, 4:45 pm, "smoove" <smo...@bigdoggy.com> wrote: > What is the command in to find out how long it's been since a port was > active? > > -- > > SMOOVE > 91 GSXR 750, 96 Chevy C1500, and 03 350Z > Hated By Many... Confronted By None! > P...

How to use nasm to switch protect mode back to real mode?
Hello everybody! I got a problem on switching back to real mode. I tried to jump to a label in real mode segment, but failed. I don't know how to set cs register correctly. Can I use a descriptor to set cs? If I can't, how should I do? ...

Cisco 6500
We have a Catalyst 6500 that arrived in router mode and we need it in switch mode. Any suggestions on how to get the SUP to consistently load in Switch or hybrid mode? Thanks in advance. W artykule <ds6re19hos2713nupbpcl5jshrj22u9dp7@4ax.com> tubagod@mesanetworks.net napisa�(a): > > We have a Catalyst 6500 that arrived in router mode and we need it in > switch mode. > > Any suggestions on how to get the SUP to consistently load in Switch > or hybrid mode? On Sup720 by default all interfaces work in router mode. If you'd like to change it,just add switchp...

mode switch
hello group, which is better? to determine if some state is enabled and only enable it if not, or to do state changes regardless of its current state? thanks & cheers, chris On Sep 16, 12:29=A0pm, Chris Forone <4...@gmx.at> wrote: > hello group, > > which is better? to determine if some state is enabled and only enable > it if not, or to do state changes regardless of its current state? > That depends on how likely it is to pass/fail, and only your program knows that. Any call to the graphics driver has overhead. Maybe it's best to remember the current state ...

CDE Command
To get from a command line into X I use #xinit /usr/dt/bin/Xsession Could some one tell me the command to get from the command line into CDE. Thanks Basil RS/6000 Power Station 7011-250 256mb GT4e Video 6091-19i terminal Netscape 4.75i AIX4.3.3.0 Basil Holloway wrote: > To get from a command line into X I use > #xinit /usr/dt/bin/Xsession > > Could some one tell me the command to get from the command line into CDE. > > Thanks > Basil > RS/6000 Power Station 7011-250 256mb GT4e > Video 6091-19i terminal Netscape 4.75i AIX4.3.3.0 > > Simply 'xini...

Could not switch back to Real-Address mode from Protected Mode. Help?
I am writing a function to switch from Protected Mode to Real Mode, but the code does't work. The program crashes when doing the second far jump. I followed the steps of section 9.9.2 of Intel IA32 Manual Vol3 (June 2005 version), and checked the relevant threads in this forum. But still can't figure out where is my error. The following is my codes. Any helps, thanks a lot. jfguo /* Segment Descriptor table. */ SEGMENT_DESCRIPTOR RealGdt[] = { {0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0}, //First Descriptor in GDT is not used {0xffff, 0x0000, 0x09, 0x9b, 0x00, 0x00}, //Protected/Real 16bit code, 0x08 {0x...

Mode command
I'm pretty sure that Matlab has a "built-in" mode command, to find the mode of an array. But what is any easy way to do this without using the built in command? Thanks. Try, Justin Watson, "Mode of a Matrix" #, 18 Apr 2004 8:57 pm </WebX?50@@.eed9b9a> -OR- dan ennis, "Mode of vector" #, 4 Mar 2003 11:28 am </WebX?50@@.eeba377> ...

"MODE" command-line command, screen status
MODE/? says MODE <device> [/STATUS]. Is my screen a device? Then what must I enter to see/modify its status? Regards -- Jean-Pierre Coulon On Wed, 6 Feb 2013 14:04:48 +0100, Jean-Pierre Coulon <coulon@cacas.pam.obs-nice.fr> wrote: >MODE/? says MODE <device> [/STATUS]. Is my screen a device? Then what must >I enter to see/modify its status? Gosh, that takes me back... Following devices are allowed PRN, CON, COMx and LPTx, (where x is a number specific to a particular port) CON is your screen, where you can set the display mode (lines and c...

How to use nasm to switch protect mode back to real mode? #2
Hello everyone! I got a problem on switching protect mode back to real mode in NASM. I don't know how to set cs register correctly. I tried to use a descriptor whose attribute is 98h and limit is 0ffffh,while the base is a label in a real mode segment, but failed. If there's anyone who can tell me what to do, much appreciate! On Sep 9, 8:50�pm, buaacss <spamt...@crayne.org> wrote: > Hello everyone! I got a problem on switching protect mode back to real > mode in NASM. I don't know how to set cs register correctly. I tried > to use a descriptor whose attribute is 9...

How to switch from text mode to graphics mode {Redhat Linux 8.0}
I had installed Redhat 8.0 in graphics mode, but selected to start in text mode if i want to go in graphics mode of linux then which command i should use. i tried ctrl+altr+f7 but it did not work. Kuldeep wrote: > I had installed Redhat 8.0 in graphics mode, but selected to start in > text mode if i want to go in graphics mode of linux then which command > i should use. i tried ctrl+altr+f7 but it did not work. from CLI (command line interface) type $init 5 (thats the graphical run level, multi user level with networking onn) Danish In comp.os.linux.misc, on Sat 22 April 2006 1...

Create a bindkey to switch between append mode and read-only mode of current view
Hi, setting the default opening mode to read-only is a very clever way to avoid doing accidental changes. This is the default mode in my setup. This means that I have to actively set the view editable, which so far is only via menu Design->make editable. I modified the XXToccleSnapSpacing.il provided here and added a new bindkey to my .cdsinit file: XXToggleEditMode.il: procedure( XXToggleEditMode( wnd ) if( equal wnd~>cellView~>mode "r" ) ;; then schHiChangeEditMode( "a" ) ;; else schHiChangeEditMode( "r" ))) ..cdsinit: loa...

application command line with an application specific command line switch. Where to place it???
I am trying to run an application in wine that requires a command line switch. The switch is a simple one, after the exe, you include a -p that specifies the skin name for the application. So, the complete command would look like: wine "c:\Program Files\application \application.exe -p" However, the -p at the end has no effect. This syntax works in windows. If this is not the right syntax or placement of the switch in wine, somebody please let me know. I tried it after the quotes as well to no avail. I also tried it in it's own set of quotes, etc. ...