Create sun4v miniroot on sun4u hardware

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

I have a T1000 in Australia (I'm in the US) the default Solaris install
was removed from the system.  This system does not have a cdrom.  So to
install this server I'm attempting to wanboot and install a
flasharchive.  The problem is I don't have any other sun4v systems to
create the sun4v miniroot and flasharchive on.

I found the this bigadmin article: http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/content/
submitted/hybrid_build.jsp for hacking together a sun4v flasharchive on a
sun4u system but I've been unable to figure out a way to hack the install
miniroot to add sun4v support.  Does anyone have any suggestions on how
to cobble together a sun4v miniroot on sun4u hardware?  Does anyone know
where I could just download a sun4v install miniroot?

Thanks in advance for the help.
0
Reply Alexander 10/4/2007 3:40:23 AM

See related articles to this posting

Alexander J. Maidak <ajmaidak@mchsi.com> wrote:
> I found the this bigadmin article: http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/content/
> submitted/hybrid_build.jsp for hacking together a sun4v flasharchive on a
> sun4u system but I've been unable to figure out a way to hack the install
> miniroot to add sun4v support.  Does anyone have any suggestions on how
> to cobble together a sun4v miniroot on sun4u hardware?  Does anyone know
> where I could just download a sun4v install miniroot?

Is there a sun4v specific miniroot?  Most install disks have a single
bootable mini-root used on all (SPARC) architectures, with only the
bootloader being architecture specific.

--
Darren Dunham                                           ddunham@taos.com
Reply ddunham 10/4/2007 3:20:48 PM

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

What is sun4v? (NOT sun4u)
Noticed mentions of it (~750 references?) in the OpenSolaris released source. Future hardware platform or cancelled project? -Dan Dan Foster wrote: > Noticed mentions of it (~750 references?) in the OpenSolaris released source. > > Future hardware platform or cancelled project? > > -Dan I don't know definitively, but looking around at: http://cvs.opensolaris.org/source/xref/usr/src/uts/sun4v/ it appears to be the niagra chip. (Google has already indexed cvs.opensolaris.org, very cool!) Neal In article <d954oi$hff$1@mailhub227.itcs.purdue.edu>, Neal A. Lucier &...

Creating a hardware database
I am one of the many people who are building their own CAD workstation. I propose that we make some kind of database of MB, memory, processor and video card combos that can be browsed. I am getting ready to build a system with a Quadro FX 1400 and I can't find anywhere what motherboards it has been tested with! Very frustrating. Anyway, I appreciate your comments. System proposed so far is: (WXPPSP2) Core 2D E6850 Proc GA-P35-DS3L MB 2x DDR2-800 Crucial 1G sticks (certified on GB MB) Quadro FX1400 So far I have found that it is easy to find matched proc/MB/mem but terrible to find V...

sun4v vs. sun4u
Hi there ! Can anybody tell me what exactly (besides the virtualization hypervisor) the main potential advantage of the sun4v CPUs is? I heard rumors that they are markably slower than current US IV+ for certain applications - but I don't know what "certain" means. IOW: is the above allegation true and if yes, is there a rule of thumb when to use which CPU? TIA fw On Thu, 21 Jun 2007, Frank Winkler wrote: > Can anybody tell me what exactly (besides the virtualization hypervisor) the > main potential advantage of the sun4v CPUs is? I heard rumors that they are >...

sun4v build from a sun4u server
Hello, Is it (im)possible to build a sun4v (t2000) system from a sun4u (Netra) boot server. I keep getting TFTP timeouts ? Thanks PDS On 2007-07-09, Paul Seymour <olliesdad@gmail.com> wrote: > Hello, > > Is it (im)possible to build a sun4v (t2000) system from a sun4u (Netra) > boot server. I keep getting TFTP timeouts ? Definitely possible. Ceri -- That must be wonderful! I don't understand it at all. -- Moliere Ceri Davies wrote: > On 2007-07-09, Paul Seymour <olliesdad@gmail.com> wrote: >> Hello,...

Booting sun4v using sun4u dumps
Maybe I'm trying to do the impossible... I'm trying to use dumps from a V240 with Solaris 10 11/06 to boot a T1000. I did install the approximately half dozen packages that the T1000 gets installed that are missing from the V240. I'm still getting the "the file just loaded does not appear to be an executable" error. What causes this error? Is there something else that I need to install? -- Jeff Wieland Jeff Wieland skrev: > Maybe I'm trying to do the impossible... > > I'm trying to use dumps from a V240 with Solaris 10 11/06 to boot a > T1000. ...

Move container betweeen sun4u and sun4v
Hello, we have currently a cluster with six SUN v490 who run 20 zones. It is possible to move this zones using VxFS using Veritas Cluster Suite betweeen the three v490. Now I would like to know if it is possible to switch a zone between sun4v and sun4u like adding a SUN T5xx? Thomas ...

Should a sun4v T5240 execute all sun4u binaries ok?
As you might have gathered from another thread of mine, I have some binaries which were compiled on a Blade 2500 running Solaris 10 update 1. -bash-3.00$ uname -a SunOS mark 5.10 Generic_127111-01 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Blade-2500 Solaris -bash-3.00$ cat /etc/release Solaris 10 1/06 s10s_u1wos_19a SPARC Copyright 2005 Sun Microsystems, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Use is subject to license terms. Assembled 07 December 2005 The binaries work fine on my Blade 2000 running Solaris 10 update 6 drkirkby@kest...

How to create virtual channels without hardware attached.
Is it possible to create and modify Virtual Channels and to attach to a physical device on a computer that doesn't have the necessary DAQ hardware attached to it. The Virtual channel can be created but I cannot attach it to any DAQ device, ensuring the device is present in the Device List. The purpose would be to create and modify configuration files on an administration computer and to export the daq file to the destination computer that has the necessary hardware. I know I can use the remote administration feature but my network security environment does not allow it. Without the actu...

What software/hardware creates each level of the ISO/OSI model?
For educational purposes, let us assume we have a network based on the ISO model with its 7 layers... and with level 2 sub-divided per the IEEE... OK, I have some data in my computer I want to send across the network to another computer... The data is on my disk or in RAM... no matter whether it is a saved file or an email or a chat connection or what... the data is going to be on disk, RAM or some other storage medium... unless it is created in real time... but then it still probably goes to disk or ram before being sent over the network. From a hardware point of view... the d...

Oracle 11g binaries and different Sun architectures: sun4u and sun4v
Hi, Are the Oracle 11g binaries installed on our v890 (sun4u architecture, Solaris 10) the same as the Oracle binaries on a T2000 (sun4v architecture, Solaris 10)? Background We want to use our current v890's system disks to create a "duplicate" environment on a T2000. We use "flar's" for this purpose all the time. However, this is the first time we've gone from one architecture to another arch. The standard flar process won't work in this case. But Sun (Oracle) has a workaround that makes the flar method possible. If that process works, we...

How to create Vritual COM port with virtual hardware control in Vxworks?
hi all, i am working on creating a Virtual COM port in Vxworks? This virtual COM port must be able to handle hardware flow control. Can pseudo terminal do it? how to realize the hardware flow control? anyone can share some ideas or doc/URL i can refer to? thanks, frank ...

access a "hardware channel" or create a virtual channel
Hi, I'm using Labview 7 and "traditionnal DAQ 7". Here is my problem, I would like to be able, in my app, to configure a virtual channel. Actually, I think I have to create a virtual channel (as in Max). If it's not possible, could you tell me a way to access the "hardware channels" of my daq cards (I use a PCI 4472 and 4474)... I can't find a way to do that (but I'm a newbie ;-) ). I could not find the "DAQ assistant" in my available functions (I don't know why...) Thank you very much for your help. Hey Cyril, The DAQ Assistant uses our...

Help! Need to migrate hardware from sun4u to Ultra-E250 on existing installation
Because of hardware failure (power supply dies after 9 years!) I have to immediately replace the server hardware. Fortunately I was able to get an older E250 which is in very good condition. I plan to migrate all relevant applications to a new server (actually I already started to do this, the old Ultra1 died some weeks too early), but for the moment I want to reactivate the old installation as is (or as much as possible). Is there any way to "upgrade" the kernel/platform directories so that the installation will be able to start? I already managed to install the boot block for the...

The FInal Step, i have created a program to all my specifications and i am now ready to connect the hardware
I have created a program to all my specifications and i am now ready to connect the hardware. My program was created to automate the cleaning process of an atmostpheric chamber. It controls two valves based on the pressure readings and time intervals. When creating this program i figured that if a could make a boolean turn on or off based on the pressure readings then it would be no problem somehow wiring it to send a signal to the hardware. I have reached that point and don't know how to proceed.&nbsp; I was told that the first step is to figure out what kind of Card is being interfac...

How to create Vritual COM port with virtual hardware control in Vxworks? #2
hi all, i am working on creating a Virtual COM port in Vxworks? This virtual COM port must be able to handle hardware flow control. Can pseudo terminal do it? how to realize the hardware flow control? anyone can share some ideas or doc/URL i can refer to? thanks, frank ...

how can I create a simulated hardware configuration in MAX Measurement & Automation Explorer
I have several vi's that I need to debug or make cosmetic changes to. My problem is that the PC for which these vi's are configured, is not easily accessible and my office PC does not have the hardware needed to run the vi's properly. I get a "error 10401 occured at AI Group Config" when a vi is executed. How can I get around this? I am hoping there is a way to configure MAX to simulate the configuration required to run these vi's so that I don't need to make temporary changes to several vi's in order to run them. Thanks in advance for any help There really i...

Solaris 10 virtual disk (ramdisk) create for sun4v (T-2000 simulator) architecture
hello, I have been trying to create a 2 GB ramdisk (virtual) to run on my T-2000 s= imulator (Legion) which has sun4v architecture. I have a SPARC workstation = which runs on sun4u architecture with Solaris 10. I have created a ramdisk image using dd command, newfs, then used ufsrestor= e to restore the filesystem taken from the original virtual disk (disk.s10h= w2 - sun4v virtual disk that comes with the simulator - 512 MB) and install= ed bootblk on the new ramdisk (used the sun4v bootblk). But when I try to b= oot this newly created ramdisk (2GB), it starts loading smf services an...

Creating a hard drive image
Hi, I have never seen this sort of hardware setup before (setup sun and ia servers before, worked with old hardware before, but never saw this setup). What this site has is a rack of boards, that sort of look like old mainframe multiplexer controller boards ... but htis one rack has a SPARC board that connects to a box above it, which holds an enclosed hard drive, about 20 gb. It reportedly (couldnt connect to it one day to run commands to see exactly what it has hardware and software wise) is running 5.7 SunOS under a WinXP OS. It reportedly has five 4gb partitions, one or more of which m...

US-TX-Austin: Hardware Systems Engineer, 7 to 10 years of experience in creating (45355657605)
US-TX-Austin: Hardware Systems Engineer, 7 to 10 years of experience in creating (45355657605) ============================================================================================== Position: Hardware Systems Engineer Reference: MLS00024 Location: Austin TX Duration: 6mo - Skills: 7 to 10 years of experience in creating reference design solutions utilizing high speed signals, preferably integrating within x86 architectural framework, inclusive of component sourcing and BOM creation. Must be able to ...

US-TX-Austin: Hardware Systems Engineer, 7 to 10 years of experience in creating (45355357601)
US-TX-Austin: Hardware Systems Engineer, 7 to 10 years of experience in creating (45355357601) ============================================================================================== Position: Hardware Systems Engineer Reference: MLS00024 Location: Austin TX Duration: 6mo - Skills: 7 to 10 years of experience in creating reference design solutions utilizing high speed signals, preferably integrating within x86 architectural framework, inclusive of component sourcing and BOM creation. Must be able to ...

US-TX-Austin: Hardware Systems Engineer, 7 to 10 years of experience in creating (45355043179)
US-TX-Austin: Hardware Systems Engineer, 7 to 10 years of experience in creating (45355043179) ============================================================================================== Position: Hardware Systems Engineer Reference: MLS00024 Location: Austin TX Duration: 6mo - Skills: 7 to 10 years of experience in creating reference design solutions utilizing high speed signals, preferably integrating within x86 architectural framework, inclusive of component sourcing and BOM creation. Must be able to ...

US-TX-Austin: Hardware Systems Engineer, 7 to 10 years of experience in creating (45355058290)
US-TX-Austin: Hardware Systems Engineer, 7 to 10 years of experience in creating (45355058290) ============================================================================================== Position: Hardware Systems Engineer Reference: MLS00024 Location: Austin TX Duration: 6mo - Skills: 7 to 10 years of experience in creating reference design solutions utilizing high speed signals, preferably integrating within x86 architectural framework, inclusive of component sourcing and BOM creation. Must be able to ...

US-TX-Austin: Hardware Systems Engineer, 7 to 10 years of experience in creating (45355614404)
US-TX-Austin: Hardware Systems Engineer, 7 to 10 years of experience in creating (45355614404) ============================================================================================== Position: Hardware Systems Engineer Reference: MLS00024 Location: Austin TX Duration: 6mo - Skills: 7 to 10 years of experience in creating reference design solutions utilizing high speed signals, preferably integrating within x86 architectural framework, inclusive of component sourcing and BOM creation. Must be able to ...

US-TX-Austin: Hardware Systems Engineer, 7 to 10 years of experience in creating (45357114981)
US-TX-Austin: Hardware Systems Engineer, 7 to 10 years of experience in creating (45357114981) ============================================================================================== Position: Hardware Systems Engineer Reference: MLS00024 Location: Austin TX Duration: 6mo - Skills: 7 to 10 years of experience in creating reference design solutions utilizing high speed signals, preferably integrating within x86 architectural framework, inclusive of component sourcing and BOM creation. Must be able to ...