Determining file name with /proc/pid/fd/#?

Is there a way to determine the name of an open file?
I'm tired of not being able to determine if there is
a file open for writing that has been deleted.  If I
can get the  files each process has open I can check
if it exists and report back if it doesn't.

Just FYI, lsof does not show open files that are deleted.

TIA,

Roger Books

"roger.books@gmail.com" <roger.books@gmail.com> writes:

>Is there a way to determine the name of an open file?
>I'm tired of not being able to determine if there is
>a file open for writing that has been deleted.  If I
>can get the  files each process has open I can check
>if it exists and report back if it doesn't.

>Just FYI, lsof does not show open files that are deleted.

Yes, lsof DOES show open files that have been unlinked.
They can readily be identified by directing lsof to show
link count with the +L option.  Unlinked open files have
a link count of zero.

Because there is no DNLC information for unlinked files,
the identification lsof displays for them is basic --
device number, node number, and mounted-on directory and
mounted-on device paths.

Vic Abell, lsof author
0
abe
9/19/2005 6:35:31 PM
"roger.books@gmail.com" <roger.books@gmail.com> writes:

>Is there a way to determine the name of an open file?
>I'm tired of not being able to determine if there is
>a file open for writing that has been deleted.  If I
>can get the  files each process has open I can check
>if it exists and report back if it doesn't.

In S10 look at /proc/<pid>/path

If it's deleted, it has no name so none can be reported.

If you want to find open, yet deleted files and the processes
keeping them open:

	find /proc/*/fd -type f -links 0

Casper
--
Expressed in this posting are my opinions.  They are in no way related
be fiction rather than truth.
Casper H.S. Dik wrote:
> "roger.books@gmail.com" <roger.books@gmail.com> writes:
>
> >Is there a way to determine the name of an open file?
> >I'm tired of not being able to determine if there is
> >a file open for writing that has been deleted.  If I
> >can get the  files each process has open I can check
> >if it exists and report back if it doesn't.
>
> In S10 look at /proc/<pid>/path
>
> If it's deleted, it has no name so none can be reported.
>
> If you want to find open, yet deleted files and the processes
> keeping them open:
>
> 	find /proc/*/fd -type f -links 0
>
> Casper

Be wary of /proc/<pid>/path.  It depends on a path,
stored in the vnode, that is not carefully maintained.
Lsof uses it with great caution, checking it via stat(2)
before displaying it.

Vic Abell, lsof author

0
abe
9/20/2005 1:27:13 PM
abe@purdue.edu writes:

>Be wary of /proc/<pid>/path.  It depends on a path,
>stored in the vnode, that is not carefully maintained.
>Lsof uses it with great caution, checking it via stat(2)
>before displaying it.

Are you sure it returns an incorrect value rather than none?

Casper
0
Casper
9/20/2005 2:16:11 PM
Casper H.S. Dik <Casper.Dik@Sun.COM> writes:

>abe@purdue.edu writes:

>>Be wary of /proc/<pid>/path.  It depends on a path,
>>stored in the vnode, that is not carefully maintained.
>>Lsof uses it with great caution, checking it via stat(2)
>>before displaying it.

>Are you sure it returns an incorrect value rather than none?

>Casper

The vnode's v_path pointer is still set for unlinked open
files to te address of a kernel string that contains the
path under which the file was opened.  I just double-checked
that with dbx on a Solaris 10 Amd64 generic kernel.

The v_path pointer is also incorrect for files that have not
been unlinked when the paths under which they have been opened
have been changed -- i.e, with mv(1) or rename(2) has been
applied.  This is true for the three Solaris 10 architectures
-- Amd64, sun4u and i86pc -- where I have tested lsof.

Is there a patch that fixes either or both problems?

Vic Abell, lsof author
0
abe
9/20/2005 2:18:57 PM
Eric.Schrock@sun.no.spam.com (Eric Schrock) writes:

>In article <abe.1127243937@quest.cc.purdue.edu>, Victor A Abell wrote:
>>
>>The vnode's v_path pointer is still set for unlinked open
>>files to the address of a kernel string that contains the
>>path under which the file was opened.  I just double-checked
>>that with dbx on a Solaris 10 Amd64 generic kernel.
>>
>>The v_path pointer is also incorrect for files that have not
>>been unlinked when the paths under which they have been opened
>>have been changed -- i.e, with mv(1) or rename(2) has been
>>applied.  This is true for the three Solaris 10 architectures
>>-- Amd64, sun4u and i86pc -- where I have tested lsof.
>>
>>Is there a patch that fixes either or both problems?

>The above "problems" are both intrinsic to the design of v_path.  The
>path information was designed to aid in observability.  It never has had
>any guarantee associated with it that it is currently correct, only that
>it was correct at one point in time.  To do otherwise is to solve an
>essentially unsolvable problem (thanks to hard links) and require a huge
>amount of effort (requiring modifications to every filesystem) for
>little benefit - the current solution works in 99.9% of situations.

Yes, 99.9% accuracy is good and very useful, but a path that is
reported incorrectly is not good.  Fortunately validation (e.g., using
stat(2)) can help prevent the inaccuracy.  For 100% protection,
however, the stat(2) caller must have root permission to be able to
access any and all paths.

>Be sure to note that the information returned in /proc/<pid>/path
>_is_ guaranteed to be correct.  We perform the necessary validation on
>the stored path, and return no information (rather than incorrect
>information) if we cannot validate that it is correct.  It's also worth
>noting that the information has become quite a bit more reliable in
>Nevada build 21 and later, thanks to a slightly different
>interpositioning point.
>
>I would argue that having path information for unlinked vnodes is
>actually valuable, not a bug.  And as for renames, it too is an
>unsolvable problem, certainly at the VFS layer.  Imagine renaming a
>directory and having to update the path information for every child
>vnode on the system.  And storing a tree of pointers is not acceptable
>because the information must be calculable in arbitrary context in order
>to support the DTrace I/O provider, not to mention that there is no
>knowledge of vnode relationship at the VFS layer (and the DNLC is a
>partial solution used only by a few filesystems).

Because of the uncertainty that rename introduces, an unlinked file's
path is one that really can't be validated.  It probably should never
be reported.

>Suffice to say that the path information is behaving exactly as
>designed, and that there is no way to extend that design in an
>architecturally viable way (no changes outside the VFS layer) and
>maintining necessary constraints (DTrace observability, performance).

>Hope that helps.  Feel free to play around with the OpenSolaris source
>code if you think I'm wrong on either of these points.  You can find me
>(and more observability junkies) over at the observability community on
>opensolaris.org.
>--
>Eric Schrock, Solaris Kernel Development       http://blogs.sun.com/eschrock

Thank you for the information, Eric.

Vic Abell, lsof author
0
abe
9/20/2005 7:23:02 PM
In article <abe.1127243937@quest.cc.purdue.edu>, Victor A Abell wrote:

>The vnode's v_path pointer is still set for unlinked open
>files to te address of a kernel string that contains the
>path under which the file was opened.  I just double-checked
>that with dbx on a Solaris 10 Amd64 generic kernel.
>
>The v_path pointer is also incorrect for files that have not
>been unlinked when the paths under which they have been opened
>have been changed -- i.e, with mv(1) or rename(2) has been
>applied.  This is true for the three Solaris 10 architectures
>-- Amd64, sun4u and i86pc -- where I have tested lsof.
>
>Is there a patch that fixes either or both problems?

The above "problems" are both intrinsic to the design of v_path.  The
path information was designed to aid in observability.  It never has had
any guarantee associated with it that it is currently correct, only that
it was correct at one point in time.  To do otherwise is to solve an
essentially unsolvable problem (thanks to hard links) and require a huge
amount of effort (requiring modifications to every filesystem) for
little benefit - the current solution works in 99.9% of situations.

Be sure to note that the information returned in /proc/<pid>/path
_is_ guaranteed to be correct.  We perform the necessary validation on
the stored path, and return no information (rather than incorrect
information) if we cannot validate that it is correct.  It's also worth
noting that the information has become quite a bit more reliable in
Nevada build 21 and later, thanks to a slightly different
interpositioning point.

I would argue that having path information for unlinked vnodes is
actually valuable, not a bug.  And as for renames, it too is an
unsolvable problem, certainly at the VFS layer.  Imagine renaming a
directory and having to update the path information for every child
vnode on the system.  And storing a tree of pointers is not acceptable
because the information must be calculable in arbitrary context in order
to support the DTrace I/O provider, not to mention that there is no
knowledge of vnode relationship at the VFS layer (and the DNLC is a
partial solution used only by a few filesystems).

Suffice to say that the path information is behaving exactly as
designed, and that there is no way to extend that design in an
architecturally viable way (no changes outside the VFS layer) and
maintining necessary constraints (DTrace observability, performance).

Hope that helps.  Feel free to play around with the OpenSolaris source
code if you think I'm wrong on either of these points.  You can find me
(and more observability junkies) over at the observability community on
opensolaris.org.

- Eric

--
Eric Schrock, Solaris Kernel Development       http://blogs.sun.com/eschrock
0
Eric
9/20/2005 8:33:46 PM
In article <abe.1127262182@quest.cc.purdue.edu>, Victor A Abell wrote:

>Yes, 99.9% accuracy is good and very useful, but a path that is
>reported incorrectly is not good.  Fortunately validation (e.g., using
>stat(2)) can help prevent the inaccuracy.  For 100% protection,
>however, the stat(2) caller must have root permission to be able to
>access any and all paths.
>
>Because of the uncertainty that rename introduces, an unlinked file's
>path is one that really can't be validated.  It probably should never
>be reported.

I'd just like to emphasize for the readers out there that Victor's
qualms about the validity of path information only applies to the
correctness of the v_path as stored within the kernel.  It does not
apply to the paths as shown in /proc/<pid>/path/*.  These will always be
correct, and are validated within the kernel before being returned via
procfs.  You do _not_ need to worry about unlinked files or stat()ing
the results from reading these files.

For information on how this is done, see the implementation of
vnodetopath(), used by pr_readlink_lookup().

http://cvs.opensolaris.org/source/xref/usr/src/uts/common/fs/lookup.c#1347

- Eric

--
Eric Schrock, Solaris Kernel Development       http://blogs.sun.com/eschrock
0
Eric
9/21/2005 3:26:48 AM
Eric.Schrock@sun.no.spam.com (Eric Schrock) writes:

>In article <abe.1127262182@quest.cc.purdue.edu>, Victor A Abell wrote:
>>
>>Yes, 99.9% accuracy is good and very useful, but a path that is
>>reported incorrectly is not good.  Fortunately validation (e.g., using
>>stat(2)) can help prevent the inaccuracy.  For 100% protection,
>>however, the stat(2) caller must have root permission to be able to
>>access any and all paths.
>>
>>Because of the uncertainty that rename introduces, an unlinked file's
>>path is one that really can't be validated.  It probably should never
>>be reported.

>I'd just like to emphasize for the readers out there that Victor's
>qualms about the validity of path information only applies to the
>correctness of the v_path as stored within the kernel.  It does not
>apply to the paths as shown in /proc/<pid>/path/*.  These will always be
>correct, and are validated within the kernel before being returned via
>procfs.  You do _not_ need to worry about unlinked files or stat()ing
>the results from reading these files.

>For information on how this is done, see the implementation of
>vnodetopath(), used by pr_readlink_lookup().

>http://cvs.opensolaris.org/source/xref/usr/src/uts/common/fs/lookup.c#1347

Eric is right.  The vnodetopath() code is very careful to validate the
path.  It uses v_path as a starting point, but if it can't be
validated, then a reverse-lookup takes place.  That's probably the best
of all worlds for the VFS design, since the v_path "hint" will usually
be correct.

As for how this applies to the original question about unlinked paths,
it appears that /proc/<pid>/path/... will not be a symbolic link to
anything if the file has been unlinked.  The hint remains in the
vnode's v_path, but there's no way to validate it.  It might sometimes
be useful to report the hint, if it could be shown as only a hint and
not a certainty.

Vic Abell, lsof author
0
abe
9/21/2005 5:10:04 AM
Casper H.S. Dik <Casper.Dik@Sun.COM> writes:

>abe@quest.cc.purdue.edu (Victor A Abell) writes:

>>The vnode's v_path pointer is still set for unlinked open
>>files to te address of a kernel string that contains the
>>path under which the file was opened.  I just double-checked
>>that with dbx on a Solaris 10 Amd64 generic kernel.

>That's not the question I asked; the question I asked is:
>"is the /proc/<pid>/path incorrect in such cases"?

>If that's not the case then the value of v_path is
>irrelevant as the system treats it merely as a hint.

Sorry -- I didn't answer your question, did I?

/proc/<pid>/path/... will not be a symbolic link to anything if the
open file it represents has been unlinked.  The original path hint
remains in the vnode's v_path, however.  It might be useful to the OP
as a hint, could it be reported as just that.

Vic

0
abe
9/21/2005 5:19:03 AM
abe@quest.cc.purdue.edu (Victor A Abell) writes:

>The vnode's v_path pointer is still set for unlinked open
>files to te address of a kernel string that contains the
>path under which the file was opened.  I just double-checked
>that with dbx on a Solaris 10 Amd64 generic kernel.

That's not the question I asked; the question I asked is:
"is the /proc/<pid>/path incorrect in such cases"?

If that's not the case then the value of v_path is
irrelevant as the system treats it merely as a hint.

Casper
--
Expressed in this posting are my opinions.  They are in no way related
be fiction rather than truth.
0
Casper
9/21/2005 8:07:25 AM
Casper H.S. Dik <Casper.Dik@Sun.COM> writes:

>abe@quest.cc.purdue.edu (Victor A Abell) writes:

>>The vnode's v_path pointer is still set for unlinked open
>>files to te address of a kernel string that contains the
>>path under which the file was opened.  I just double-checked
>>that with dbx on a Solaris 10 Amd64 generic kernel.

>That's not the question I asked; the question I asked is:
>"is the /proc/<pid>/path incorrect in such cases"?

>If that's not the case then the value of v_path is
>irrelevant as the system treats it merely as a hint.

Eric already answered this and it seems that you can indeed
trust /proc/*/path information but not v_path which is what
Vic cares about for lsof.

Casper
--
Expressed in this posting are my opinions.  They are in no way related
be fiction rather than truth.
0
Casper
9/21/2005 8:41:35 AM
Casper H.S. Dik <Casper.Dik@Sun.COM> writes:

>abe@quest.cc.purdue.edu (Victor A Abell) writes:

>>As for how this applies to the original question about unlinked paths,
>>it appears that /proc/<pid>/path/... will not be a symbolic link to
>>anything if the file has been unlinked.  The hint remains in the
>>vnode's v_path, but there's no way to validate it.  It might sometimes
>>be useful to report the hint, if it could be shown as only a hint and
>>not a certainty.

>Yes, but an unlinked file has no name, really ...

However, I think that's what the OP wanted to know.  It seems a useful
item of information to me to know the path name under which a deleted
file was opened.

>(Last time I checked, Linux also gets a number of cases wrong in
>/proc)

I've not seen that, but I have seen many cases where the Linux /proc
file system does get the path name correct, even after components of
the path have been renamed.  Moreover, Linux /proc reports "(deleted)"
at the end of the open file's last known path when the file has been
unlinked.

Lsof 4.77 will have an option to make a similar "(deleted)" report.
Anyone who wants a look at that can try this 4.77 pre-release:

ftp://lsof.itap.purdue.edu/pub/tools/unix/lsof/NEW/lsof_4.77A.sun.tar.bz2

The -X option must be specified to lsof 4.77 to get the "(deleted)"
path name report.  There are some new FAQ entries discussing the cached
vnode path name lsof uses.

Vic
0
abe
9/21/2005 8:50:09 AM
abe@quest.cc.purdue.edu (Victor A Abell) writes:

>As for how this applies to the original question about unlinked paths,
>it appears that /proc/<pid>/path/... will not be a symbolic link to
>anything if the file has been unlinked.  The hint remains in the
>vnode's v_path, but there's no way to validate it.  It might sometimes
>be useful to report the hint, if it could be shown as only a hint and
>not a certainty.

Yes, but an unlinked file has no name, really ...

(Last time I checked, Linux also gets a number of cases wrong in
/proc)

Casper
--
Expressed in this posting are my opinions.  They are in no way related
be fiction rather than truth.
0
Casper
9/21/2005 12:35:32 PM
abe@quest.cc.purdue.edu (Victor A Abell) writes:

>I've not seen that, but I have seen many cases where the Linux /proc
>file system does get the path name correct, even after components of
>the path have been renamed.  Moreover, Linux /proc reports "(deleted)"
>at the end of the open file's last known path when the file has been
>unlinked.

There are a few cases with "ln/rm" which break.

A v_path implementation could be a linked list of vnodes all the
way up to the root so that it would construct the path on the fly
each time; that would fix a few of the corner cases.

The Solaris philosophy for "pseudo symlinks" is that they
return actual symlink content and not just hackish descriptive
text.

Casper
--
Expressed in this posting are my opinions.  They are in no way related
be fiction rather than truth.
0
Casper
9/21/2005 3:01:27 PM
how can that removed link( viz /proc/pid/path/1) can be identified. and who would unlink it ?

-jagadeesh-

Resetting the Preferences File
When I hold down Ctl>Alt>Shift while starting PS CS, I'm supposed to be asked if I want to delete the Preferences file. But I'm not asked the question. 1. Where can I find the preferences file so I can delete it manually? 2. The reason I want to do this is because the percentage in the lower left corner of the PS window doesn't work. I key in a percentage different from what is showing and that percentage shows - but hitting Enter does not implement that new percenatge, Instead, it freezes the file I'm working on. On WinXP - do a search for "prefs" in c...

ProE 2000i Training Files
If you are looking to get the ProE training files and models, go the http://www.3dlogix.com and look under Tutorials. Even though they are 2000i, it still covers the basic requirements to learn ProE, even if it's Wildfire. ...

applets and multiple jar files
Hi, I am preparing an applet that will be placed in a jar file. The problem is that the applet uses other jar files. What is the best way to organize all the files for downloading, and how should I write the <applet ...> tags to handle this situation? Specifically, if my class MyClass.class is placed in MyJar.jar, and if MyClass uses JarFile1.jar and JarFile2.jar, would the <applet> tag look like this: <applet code="MyClass.class" archive="MyJar.jar JarFile1.jar JarFile2.jar" width=120 height=120> </applet> Digital Puer wrote: &g...

Re: How to convert all the xpt files in a folder to sas datasets #5
I don't think CIMPORT works on files created with the XPORT engine. On 10/22/07, Joe Whitehurst <joewhitehurst@gmail.com> wrote: > Albus, close Friend et al, > > Why not use PROC CIMPORT? Am I missing something again? > > Joe > > > > > On 10/22/07, Fehd, Ronald J. (CDC/CCHIS/NCPHI) <rjf2@cdc.gov> wrote: > > > > Subject: Re: how read *.xpt? > > > > information: proc copy xpt files to a libref > > > > http://www.listserv.uga.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0704B&L=sas-l&P=15209 > > > > Ron Fehd the...

link to file in network
Hi, client wants to have a button/link/whatever to open an xls file from local network (windows, netbios). How can I create such thing? Piotrek "Piotrek" <przypadkowy@poczta.onet.pl> wrote in message news:db0j23$t53$1@atlantis.news.tpi.pl... > Hi, > client wants to have a button/link/whatever to open an xls file > from local network (windows, netbios). How can I create such thing? > > Piotrek Let's assume that you have the filename and path. It could be from a field, entered through a inputbox or using a Win32 API call to th...

Determine If Object Exist
I have a script that will set the focus to a particular input box. I want the script to check to see if the input box exist also. I'm receiving the following error: 'document.ScheduleForm.txtGrossPayroll99' is null or not an object. The txtGrossPayroll99 is a field that does not exist. I've hard-coded this name into the script to see if it is working correctly. I'm using the OnLoad event inside the <Body> tag to execute this function. var formInUse = false; function setFocus() { if ((!formInUse) && (typeof(document.ScheduleForm.txtGrossPayroll99) != "...

The file path and directory about the .exe file created in LabView, who knows?
I have a project, in the project, VIs and documents(.doc,.txt,.tdms,etc.) in different directories, and when the project run in the labView, it can find the directories and files, but when I created .exe file, I found the directories had changed and I didn't know the directory structure in the file, anyone know it? &nbsp; Thanks for any reply! YangAfreet ...

Determine if a directory is currently used as a mount point
Hello, I can't seem to find a simple solution to this seemingly simple problem. (I'm using Linux, in case there are no portable solutions.) I need to determine whether a directory is currently used as a mount point. (Because I need to run fsck on the underlying device, and running fsck on a mounted file system is not safe.) http://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man8/e2fsck.8.html On Linux, rmdir returns EBUSY when its argument "is currently used as a mount point, or is the root directory of the calling process." http://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man2/rmdir.2....

Split Module to multiple Files?
Hey! Is it possible to achieve somthing like this: I want to have multiple classes, each in one file e.g. test.rb -> class Test test1.rb -> class Test1 Then i want to combine those classes into a module myModule.rb -> module myModule thx -- Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/. You can do: == myModule.rb module MyModule eval File.open('test1.rb').read eval File.open('test2.rb').read end But this would be ugly, the better way IMO is to define the classes individually within modules: == test.rb: module MyModule class Test (...) end end =...

Jeffrey Carlson a Police report was filed on you
One disadvantage to not having AOL is that I cant hide my information with aliases which is protection against people like you. Even if I create new aliases on Usenet you will know its me, because you can see my posting ip. But I have notified the police of your stalking of me. You should not have known this private info on me that you privately emailed to me. You do not know where I live, nor whom I associate with. This info is not public. Mark my words the authorities have been warned and you are know on my filter. You have been on filter for sometime, but you found out m...

Convert Appleworks 3.0 Files to MS-DOS
I have a IIGS with about 150 word processor files that I want to convert to Text, or even better some version of MS Works or MS Word. I have a Mac SE that will act as the intermediate computer, copying files off the IIGS formatted disks and dropping them on the PC formatted disks. I am aware that you can print a file to ASCII from Appleworks; however, this is very very tedious considering the number of files I need to convert. I'm hoping that some program out there can do a batch convert or something. I am somewhat skilled with VBScript, so if the files end up as text with odd control ...

How to determine true sender of message
Hello Is there a way to look at the message header and determine the true sender of an email message. Is it the "Message-ID:"? Or is it the "X-UIDL:" Is there a source that explains all aspects of the message header? Thanks cdoc wrote: > Hello > Is there a way to look at the message header and determine the true > sender of an email message. > Is it the "Message-ID:"? > Or is it the "X-UIDL:" > Is there a source that explains all aspects of the message header? > Thanks The only thing one can determine is the true source (provide...

Winsock
Hello. I'm trying to develop a program that can send large videos such as ..mpegs and the like over a remote winsock connection. So far, the only solution I've come across was opening the file as a binary in one kilobyte sections at a time, sending it over the connection, and then opening the next section until all of the data has been sent. Is there any other way of doing this? Thanks. "Eric Mitchell" <dm2208@cox.net> wrote in message news:TiXOb.7322$bg1.4896@fed1read05... > Hello. I'm trying to develop a program that can send large videos such as ...

Re: Label a By Variable In Proc Report #4
Mike, Maybe you are referring to the label in the line generated by the BY statement? In this case, the Define will have no effect. Instead you need a: label vanname='Vendor Name'; HTH, Dennis Diskin On 4/27/05, Michael F. Murphy <Michael.F.Murphy@kp.org> wrote: > I can't get Proc Report to provide a label with a BY statement. > > Here is part of the code: > by venname; > define venname / display 'Vendor Name'; > > In the result, venname is displayed, instead of 'Vendor Name'. > > Thanks. > > Mike > ...

Slow ethernet file transfer
The iBook clamshell just added to my home network is painfully slow transferring files to/from two other Macs. Transfer between the other two Macs is normal speed for a Cat 5, 100T ethernet. All 3 are running OS 10.3.6, same config for TCP/IP with DHCP, File Sharing, Firewall, and AppleTalk. All 3 connect through a hub to a DSL modem which assigns IP addresses. I've done most of the housekeeping, repair permissions, and fsck but no luck fixing. I experienced this problem once while running Jaguar and I read then that Macs on an internal network with DSL will connect-to-server through ...

gif and jpg files missing in gui of application run from jar file
I have packaged a Java application into a jar file, along with some gif and jpg files that appear in the application, but the gif and jpg files do not appear in the application gui when I run it from the jar file. Starting out, the class, gif, and jpg files are in the same directory, and the class files are not in a package (no package statement in the java source). An example of the code I use to get the images into the application are as follows: private ImageIcon image1 = new ImageIcon("image1.jpg"); -OR- private ImageIcon image1 = new ImageIcon("./image1.jpg&...

Get File Handle
Hai, Do any one of you know how to get the handle of a specific file?Is it possible to execute a program the instance the file is attempted to open?I want to my program to be executed when the file is attempted to open Manually(ie when it is clicked). On 29 Sep 2003 03:28:01 -0700, swsiintr@hclinsys.com (Sankar-R) wrote: > Do any one of you know how to get the handle of a specific >file?Is it possible to execute a program the instance the file is >attempted to open?I want to my program to be executed when the file is >attempted to open Manually(ie when it is ...

Re: Wildcard character in Proc Datasets #3
excel_hari@YAHOO.COM wrote back: >I liked this method a lot. Infact a person in this group used the INTO >within Proc SQL for one of my problems and since then I have got >hooked to it and have been using it indiscriminately (though in may >places it would have been more efficient to use some other method). > >I will have to start exploring the different tables within SASHELP (I >peaked in to it right now) so that I can use put them to use. > >I have 2 requests:- > >a) Could you please point me to a place where I can look up the >information stored in "...

How to determine whether an expression equals to zero
Hi all. I have the following data type: data Expr = Literal Integer | Add Expr Expr -- x + y | Multipy Expr Expr -- x*y | Power Expr Expr -- x^y It represents an expression, which can consist of signed integer literals (arbitrary size), and operators: addition, multiplication, exponentiation. Semantically, this expression may denote a complex number. If an exponentiation is ambiguous, let it represent a complex number with a minimal non-negative argument. For instance, Power (Literal (-1)) (Power (Literal 2) (Literal (-1))) represents I (the imaginary unit), not (-I). One can see...

Opening a file on another processor returns error for large file
Hi Guys, I'm a bit confused as to why the size I specify for a memDevCreate would determine whether another processor can open the device. Any ideas? I have two processors (referred to as node a and b). Node b has a file that node a wants to open. I have typed the following into the node b shell first... ramPtr = malloc(58720256) blk = ramDevCreate(ramPtr, 1024, 0, 1024, 0) pVolDesc = dosFsMkfs("/ram", blk) memDrv() memDevCreate("/ram/file/", ramPtr, 2000) On node a I then type this into the shell... hostAdd("ftpHost", "192.168.201.1") netDev...

Finally java class file encryption possible.
Distribute java program by encrypting it and keep your source code secure. Java Encryptor encrypts class files into .vin files. You will get an Java Executer (.exe) to execute the .vin (encrypted class) files. Your source code is secure. Each Java Encryptor is coded with unique key combination. Try one sample java example encrypted using two diffrent Java Encryptors. visit http://encryptjava.blogspot.in/ ...

Fetching ActiveState PPD files without Installing them
I am testing a Perl app on a lab system which has no link to the Internet, and I need to install an ActiveState perl module, Net::DNS. Is there a way to use ppm, or ppm3, or _any_ way to simply retrieve the ppd file from whichever repository a normal 'install' would have obtained it, so I can copy this via our intranet on to the lab system and install it 'locally' by typing 'ppm install Net-DNS.ppd'. (I'm sure I asked this on c.l.p.m a few months ago, and not one person replied; but may have been another question, and anyway I guess there's no harm trying agai...

replaced functions file by mistake
Dear linux expert, By mistake, I have replaced the functions file of initscript in RedHat Linux 7.2. Someday, when I rebooted the machine, it stopped at Run level... Please help me to recover to the original state. Thanks, David V. Turner wrote: > a copy of this file for you. If you use "rpm -Uvh --freshen > package_name.rpm" it should theoretically leave the other files in the > package that are currently on your partition alone. You might also want to add the "--noscript" option so none of the scripts are run. "V. Turner" <renrutv@yahoo.co...

TCP/IP how to determine which process uses what IP-port?
Hello! How do I determine/show which processes is currently using what IP-port (TCP and UDP)? The Alphaserver is running OpenVMS 7.3.2 wiht HP TCP/IP Services 5.4. Regards Martin Hi ! ucx sho dev sho dev /full Martin Eismann wrote: > Hello! > > How do I determine/show which processes is currently using what > IP-port (TCP and UDP)? The Alphaserver is running OpenVMS 7.3.2 wiht > HP TCP/IP Services 5.4. > > Regards > Martin > -- + WBR, OpenVMS [Sys|Net] HardWorker .................................+ Delta Telecom Inc., NMT-450i, IMT-MC-450(CDMA2000) cellular ...

App to view SVG graphics files
I've been looking around for a free or low cost simple app to view SVG graphics files in OS X. I don't need to edit .SVG files, just view them. Adobe seems to have a browser plug-in, but it apparently has never been updated to work with Tiger. I have found Inkscape, which works, but it's quite clunky since it needs X11 to run. Even Graphic Converter doesn't seem to handle them. A plug-in for Preview would be nice. But my searches are all running dry. Suggestions? -- K. Lang may your lum reek. Kir�ly <me@home.spamsucks.ca> wrote: > I've been looki...