differences among "ssh", "rlogin" and "telnet"

Hi,

what are the differences among "ssh", "rlogin" and "telnet"? Which one
is better and when are each of these are recommended to use?

Thanks.

0
hetzme (66)

On Thu, 2 Mar 2006, SolarisUser wrote:

> what are the differences among "ssh", "rlogin" and "telnet"? Which one
> is better and when are each of these are recommended to use?

ssh encrypts traffic, the others don't.  SSh should always be used,
and there's no reason to use the others these days.

President,
Rite Online Inc.

Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638
0
Rich
3/2/2006 10:21:24 PM
>> what are the differences among "ssh", "rlogin" and "telnet"? Which one
>> is better and when are each of these are recommended to use?
>
> ssh encrypts traffic, the others don't.  SSh should always be used,
> and there's no reason to use the others these days.

Its hard to use telnet in order to test a smtp server, I really prefer telnet
for that ;-)

--
Groetjes, Peter

..\\ PGP/GPG key: http://www.catslair.org/pubkey.asc
0
Lion
3/2/2006 11:30:43 PM
On Thu, 2 Mar 2006, Lion-O wrote:

> >> what are the differences among "ssh", "rlogin" and "telnet"? Which one
> >> is better and when are each of these are recommended to use?
> >
> > ssh encrypts traffic, the others don't.  SSh should always be used,
> > and there's no reason to use the others these days.
>
> Its hard to use telnet in order to test a smtp server, I really prefer telnet
> for that ;-)

Agreed, but I figured someone who was asking the original question probably
wouldn't be using telnet in that way!

President,
Rite Online Inc.

Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638
0
Rich
3/3/2006 5:53:01 AM
In article <Pine.SOL.4.64.0603022152250.13233@marrakesh>,
	Rich Teer <rich.teer@rite-group.com> writes:

>> > ssh encrypts traffic, the others don't.  SSh should always be used,
>> > and there's no reason to use the others these days.
>>
>> Its hard to use telnet in order to test a smtp server, I really prefer telnet
>> for that ;-)
>
> Agreed, but I figured someone who was asking the original question probably
> wouldn't be using telnet in that way!

They each have their place. Many appliance-type devices only support
telnet. ssh is probably overkill where you don't need security (such
as between my home machines) and where you are passing large amounts
of data for which the enryption overhead is a waste, when rlogin/rsh
would be a better choice. You could claim perhaps ssh is the best
default choice, but to claim it should should always be used is far
too blinkered.

BTW, mconnect is better for testing smtp servers (or any of the
other internet protocols which use the telnet NVT in alternate
command-response mode, such as NNTP).

--
Andrew Gabriel
0
Andrew Gabriel <andrew@cucumber.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> In article <Pine.SOL.4.64.0603022152250.13233@marrakesh>,
>        Rich Teer <rich.teer@rite-group.com> writes:

>>> Its hard to use telnet in order to test a smtp server, I really prefer telnet
>>> for that ;-)
>>
>> Agreed, but I figured someone who was asking the original question probably
>> wouldn't be using telnet in that way!
>
> They each have their place. Many appliance-type devices only support
> telnet. ssh is probably overkill where you don't need security (such
> as between my home machines) and where you are passing large amounts
> of data for which the enryption overhead is a waste, when rlogin/rsh
> would be a better choice. You could claim perhaps ssh is the best
> default choice, but to claim it should should always be used is far
> too blinkered.
>
> BTW, mconnect is better for testing smtp servers (or any of the
> other internet protocols which use the telnet NVT in alternate
> command-response mode, such as NNTP).

Heh. Funny you should say this after your previous paragraph.

According to the umm..."documentation," mconnect wouldn't be a lot of use for
trying multiple SMTP commands in a single session. Telnet is very useful
for this.
0
Colin
3/4/2006 10:52:59 PM
Thanks to every one for this good information.

0
SolarisUser
3/10/2006 4:03:20 PM
Lion-O schrieb:
>>>what are the differences among "ssh", "rlogin" and "telnet"? Which one
>>>is better and when are each of these are recommended to use?
>>
>>ssh encrypts traffic, the others don't.  SSh should always be used,
>>and there's no reason to use the others these days.
>

> Its hard to use telnet in order to test a smtp server, I really prefer telnet
> for that ;-)

than take a look for nc (netcat), it a lot easyer to script.
0
Wolfgang