Finding the absolute block number on a disk with soft & hard errors

I have searched for this but couldnt find a proper answer.

If I have a disk with SCSI Read errors which are retyrable and have
some block numbers in /var/adm/messages how will I find the absolute
block number. The messages in /var/adm/messages doesnt tell me which
slice it is. It just says block number and when I go into the format
-> repair It asks for absolute block number.

Also I got a dump of the defect list from format -> defect?
How to understand the defect list?

Thanks a lot,
mundru