How to change IP address & subnet mask without using sys-unconfig ?

I tried changing the IP address and subnet mask values on my Solaris
10 x86 system earlier, using the
sys-unconfig command.  Upon rebooting, I was asked a series of
questions, where I re-entered
a new value for the IP address, subnet mask, hostname, etc.

But after rebooting, I ran into this problem:

"The DT messaging system could not be started".

So I really don't want to use the sys-unconfig command if I don't have
to.

If I just need to change the IP address and subnet mask on Solaris 10
x86,
how do I do this manually, without using the sys-unconfig command?
Thanks in advance.

On Jun 17, 8:31 pm, Michelle <serendipity1...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I tried changing the IP address and subnet mask values on my Solaris
> 10 x86 system earlier, using the
> sys-unconfig command.  Upon rebooting, I was asked a series of
> questions, where I re-entered
> a new value for the IP address, subnet mask, hostname, etc.
>
> But after rebooting, I ran into this problem:
>
> "The DT messaging system could not be started".
>
> So I really don't want to use the sys-unconfig command if I don't have
> to.
>
> If I just need to change the IP address and subnet mask on Solaris 10
> x86,
> how do I do this manually, without using the sys-unconfig command?
> Thanks in advance.

Take a look at:

/etc/inet/hosts
/etc/inet/hosts.saved {what it was before you nuked it}
/etc/inet/netmasks
/etc/inet/networks
/etc/hostname.*
/etc/nodename

\:-\
0
ThanksButNo
6/18/2009 5:56:44 AM
Michelle wrote:
> I tried changing the IP address and subnet mask values on my Solaris
> 10 x86 system earlier, using the
> sys-unconfig command.  Upon rebooting, I was asked a series of
> questions, where I re-entered
> a new value for the IP address, subnet mask, hostname, etc.
>
> But after rebooting, I ran into this problem:
>
> "The DT messaging system could not be started".

What is "The DT messaging system"?

> So I really don't want to use the sys-unconfig command if I don't have
> to.
>
> If I just need to change the IP address and subnet mask on Solaris 10
> x86,
> how do I do this manually, without using the sys-unconfig command?
> Thanks in advance.

See man sys-unconfig for a list of the files it touches.  Everything it
does, you can do by hand if you know how to use an editor; it's just
more work!

0
Richard
6/18/2009 11:58:52 AM
Richard B. Gilbert wrote at 18.06.2009 13:58
>> "The DT messaging system could not be started".
>
> What is "The DT messaging system"?

"The DT messaging system could not be started.
To correct the problem:
....some hints...

For additional information, see the DT User's Guide."

This message appears only if you choose CDE as your GUI session, and if
the hosts own name resolution isn't possible (means name in
/etc/hostname.<IF> and corresponding IP address in /etc/hosts or name
service.

> See man sys-unconfig for a list of the files it touches.  Everything it
> does, you can do by hand if you know how to use an editor; it's just
> more work!

sys-unconfig is mostly a bad idea to solve such problems.

Michael

0
Michael
6/18/2009 12:58:10 PM
Michael Weis wrote:
> Richard B. Gilbert wrote at 18.06.2009 13:58
>>> "The DT messaging system could not be started".
>>
>> What is "The DT messaging system"?
>
> "The DT messaging system could not be started.
> To correct the problem:
> ...some hints...
>
> For additional information, see the DT User's Guide."
>

> This message appears only if you choose CDE as your GUI session, and if
> the hosts own name resolution isn't possible (means name in
> /etc/hostname.<IF> and corresponding IP address in /etc/hosts or name
> service.
>
>> See man sys-unconfig for a list of the files it touches.  Everything
>> it does, you can do by hand if you know how to use an editor; it's
>> just more work!
>
> sys-unconfig is mostly a bad idea to solve such problems.
>
> Michael

I don't think I suggested USING sys-unconfig.  The man page, however,
identifies most, if not all, of the files affected by initial configuration.

0
Richard

Michelle wrote:
> I tried changing the IP address and subnet mask values on my Solaris
> 10 x86 system earlier, using the
> sys-unconfig command.  Upon rebooting, I was asked a series of
> questions, where I re-entered
> a new value for the IP address, subnet mask, hostname, etc.
>
> But after rebooting, I ran into this problem:
>
> "The DT messaging system could not be started".
>
> So I really don't want to use the sys-unconfig command if I don't have
> to.
>
> If I just need to change the IP address and subnet mask on Solaris 10
> x86,
> how do I do this manually, without using the sys-unconfig command?
> Thanks in advance.

/etc/hosts
/etc/netmask

Also check /etc/hostname.<interface> if you have a hostname/ipadress there

/michael
0
Michael

Richard B. Gilbert wrote:
> Michelle wrote:
>> I tried changing the IP address and subnet mask values on my Solaris
>> 10 x86 system earlier, using the
>> sys-unconfig command.  Upon rebooting, I was asked a series of
>> questions, where I re-entered
>> a new value for the IP address, subnet mask, hostname, etc.
>>
>> But after rebooting, I ran into this problem:
>>
>> "The DT messaging system could not be started".
>
> What is "The DT messaging system"?
>

>> So I really don't want to use the sys-unconfig command if I don't have
>> to.
>>
>> If I just need to change the IP address and subnet mask on Solaris 10
>> x86,
>> how do I do this manually, without using the sys-unconfig command?
>> Thanks in advance.
>
> See man sys-unconfig for a list of the files it touches.  Everything it
> does, you can do by hand if you know how to use an editor; it's just
> more work!

sys-unconfig does alot more that ipadress and netmask, so that will not
help him since he ask how to do it!

sys-unconfig will be like a fresh installs 1000 questions.

/michael
0
Michael
6/18/2009 8:22:29 PM
Michael Laajanen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Richard B. Gilbert wrote:
>> Michelle wrote:
>>> I tried changing the IP address and subnet mask values on my Solaris
>>> 10 x86 system earlier, using the
>>> sys-unconfig command.  Upon rebooting, I was asked a series of
>>> questions, where I re-entered
>>> a new value for the IP address, subnet mask, hostname, etc.
>>>
>>> But after rebooting, I ran into this problem:
>>>
>>> "The DT messaging system could not be started".
>>
>> What is "The DT messaging system"?
>>

>>> So I really don't want to use the sys-unconfig command if I don't have
>>> to.
>>>
>>> If I just need to change the IP address and subnet mask on Solaris 10
>>> x86,
>>> how do I do this manually, without using the sys-unconfig command?
>>> Thanks in advance.
>>
>> See man sys-unconfig for a list of the files it touches.  Everything
>> it does, you can do by hand if you know how to use an editor; it's
>> just more work!
>>
> sys-unconfig does alot more that ipadress and netmask, so that will not
> help him since he ask how to do it!
>
> sys-unconfig will be like a fresh installs 1000 questions.
>
> /michael

Did you see where I wrote "SEE MAN SYS-UNCONFIG"???????   I didn't say
USE sys-unconfig!!!!!  You can edit any or all of the file listed and
change as little or as much as you wish.
0
Richard

Changing the Change File Feature.
Is there a way to turn off the feature in Windows XP Home where, when a shortcut can't find its target file, it gets changed to point to a similarly-named file in another directory? Thanks. It does not get changed automatically. Just Click NO! -- Hope this helps. Let us know. Wes MS-MVP Windows Shell/User In news:bPVue.8700$NX4.8680@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net, Neil <nospam@nospam.net> hunted and pecked: > Is there a way to turn off the feature in Windows XP Home where, when a > shortcut can't find its target file, it gets changed to point to a > simila...

Changing the initial layout
Hi All, Trying to build my first Cocoa project, I'm having lot's of fun, but there is this thing I can't figure out. I'm building a game, on the right I have an openGL thing and on the left I have Tabpages. Now I've created 4 different Tab's no problems there. The problem is that now allways all tabs are applicable, when the application just started, I just want to show 2 of them. So I've to do something like: [menuBar->AdvancedTab retain]; [menuBar removeTabViewItem: menuBar->AdvancedTab]; But the thing is I've no clue where to put ...

Re: change value #3
Here's the (I think) analogous sql: proc sql ; update test set age = 20 where age = 200 ; quit ; -Roy -----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of data _null_; Sent: Wednesday, May 24, 2006 11:19 AM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: change value Here is a way, that works based on the information you have provided. Let's see if any one it paying attention :-) data work.test; input age sex:$1. @@; cards; 21 M 23 F 200 M ;;;; run; proc editor data=work.test; find 1,last age=200; list...

ComboBox change
I want the user to be able to have full functionality of a comboBox but with the ability to change the text. Does any of the attributes allow this? "Jules" <news@burnsville.freeserveXXX.co.uk> wrote: > >I want the user to be able to have full functionality of a comboBox but with >the ability to change the text. Does any of the attributes allow this? > > Jules, I believe you want to set the Style property to "0 - Dropdown Combo". This allows the user to pick an item from the list or type into the combo box. Regards, Eric Sorry, my mistake, I m...

how to stop flash movie sound in a DHTML layer using javascript
Hi, I am new with JavaScript as well as with actionscipt and I need help with one problem. I have a website with thumbnails on it. When you click on small thumbnail a hidden layer will be visible with the larger image of it. I used code from http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex4/thumbnail.htm I have modified the code for same thing but using flash movie[.swf]instead of .jpg. so when I click on image thumbnail it shows my hidden layer with .swf playing in it. Now the problem is this popup layer/window has a link that closes the layer[you can see the example on the link above] using the f...

change of career?
Hi, I currently work as a software engineer on quite complex signal processing code which really does stretch the old grey matter. I'm finding that I'm not enjoying it and would like to pursue a career in something a bit less technically challenging. Does anyone have any thoughts about what would be a good move into? I'd like to say what motivates me.... but i'm not too sure. Thanks, James. Home Depot. You can do it. We can help. LOL <blokedownpub@gmail.com> wrote in message = news:1168290930.424513.48240@q40g2000cwq.googlegroups.com... > Hi, I currently work...

Some problems with the AVI sound when using VS 6&7
When I capture video from my camera to the VS 6 and 7, the sound from the videoclips disappear. This happens only when I capture in AVI-format. When I play these files either in the VS or the WMP I can't hear the sound. But when I finish the project with the VS, it's all ok. That means when the movie is finished, I can watch the movies with sound. But I don't understand why the sound disappear when I capture it. I have tried lots of codec's without results. Someone know why? Please let me know. ...

Using design pattern
Reading "Design Pattern - Elements of Reusable Object-Oriented Software" does help a lot about using patterns in software development. There are many lines in the book, which doesn't make much sense to me. Hope you can help clarify some for me. 1. "...represent algorithm as object." What does it means? Is it referring to pattern like Strategy? 2. "application domain-specific patterns" What does it means? 3. "The consequences of a pattern include its impact on a system's flexibility, extensibility, or portability." My understanding about ...

LOGICAL NEGATION working in PROLOG! <<Using Peano Arithmetic>>
thm(greater(X,Y), step(S)) <- thm(not(greater(Y,X)),S). thm(not(greater(X,Y)), step(S)) <- thm(greater(Y,X),S). thm(greater(X,Y), 1) <- greater(X,Y). ****** thm(if(X,Y), step(S)) <- not(thm(X,S)). thm(if(X,Y), step(S)) <- thm(Y,S). thm(and(X,Y), step(S)) <- thm(X,S) , thm(Y,S). thm(or(X,Y), step(S)) <- thm(X,S). thm(or(X,Y), step(S)) <- thm(Y,S). ****** thm(not(X), step(S)) <- not(thm(X,S)). not(thm(X), step(S)) <- thm(not(X,S)). thm(not(not(X)), step(S)) <- thm(X,S). thm(X,step(S)) <- thm(X,S). thm(X,step(...

Trying to change ID value in @array
Hi, I'm trying to replace the ID number in my @array. Each entry of addressbook.txt has an ID number, a name and an email address separated by a "|" in this format: 1|Robert|rob@email.com 2|Gerry|gerry@email.com 3|Frank|frank@email.com A user simply inputs a number in a web form, then the data is passed to this deletion script: # Get array entries open (ADDRESSES, "<data/addressbook.txt") or die "Can't open file: $!"; @recipients=<ADDRESSES>; close(ADDRESSES); # Loop to locate and delete entry based on form data foreach $recipients(@recipien...

SQL Select using Perl XPath

Formulation behind/used in the 2D look up table in Simulink
Hello, Could someone tell me what is the mathematical formulation or algorithm used in the 2D lookup table used in Simulink. Suggestions for doing the 2d mapping are welcome. Well my case is this. I have the relationship between torque and current for different values of temperature.They come from measured values. i,e. with torque and temperature as input i get current as output. In simulink I would use the 2D look up table to get the wanted result. How can I arrive at it mathematically. Thanks ...

how cani change font at console window
windows nt 4.0 i edit Lucida console and after that i cant see this font in property ...

TCP/IP offload in hardware
Anyone have TCP/IP offload (TOE) core in FPGA or design experience? plz mail: arcdoos@yahoo.com On Dec 7, 1:18=A0am, water <water9...@yahoo.com> wrote: > Anyone have TCP/IPoffload(TOE) core in FPGA or design experience? I have one of these coming: http://www.orangetreetech.com/fpga_board_zestet= 1.html If it lives up to its billing it'll be a great development board. Seems ideal for high-bandwidth applications where you don't want to do all of the Ethernet work yourself. Anyone else have any experience with the ZestET1? -- john, KE5FX ...

Re: Using Dilution to Fight Phishers #5
In article <telecom25.168.11@telecom-digest.org>, <nospam4me@mytrashmail.com> wrote: > jmeissen@aracnet.com wrote: >> In article <telecom25.166.7@telecom-digest.org>, TELECOM Digest >> Editor wrote: >>> [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: Yes, but just imagine, if every >>> legitimate netizen out there would make the effort to add five or >>> ten minutes of extra work to the load of their favorite spammer. >> Then you end up with a distributed denial of service attack on the >> mail servers of the world. ...

FAQ 9.23 How do I find out my hostname, domainname, or IP address? #17
This is an excerpt from the latest version perlfaq9.pod, which comes with the standard Perl distribution. These postings aim to reduce the number of repeated questions as well as allow the community to review and update the answers. The latest version of the complete perlfaq is at http://faq.perl.org . -------------------------------------------------------------------- 9.23: How do I find out my hostname, domainname, or IP address? (contributed by brian d foy) The "Net::Domain" module, which is part of the standard distribution starting in perl5.7.3, can get you the...

How to make IP address permanent?
I have Fedora 9 installed on a PC. X is not working, so I cannot use /usr/bin/system-config-network to configure the network interface. So, I used the "setup" command, which allows you to configure networking. However, this does not save the changes to the /etc/sysconfig/network* files. Neither does ifconfig. Is there a "non-gui" tool which will allow me to permanently configure eth0's IP address? -Thanks On 2008-06-14, Fred <itfred@cdw.com> wrote: > I have Fedora 9 installed on a PC. X is not working, so I cannot use > /usr/bin/system-config-networ...

Address code optimization WWW portal back online
As a platform for information exchange regarding address code optimization in DSP compilers, we have relaunched http://www.address-code-optimization.org which has been created originally in 2003 (http://compilers.iecc.com/comparch/article/03-03-162). Please visit the site and provide your feedback to make it a useful platform for a broad community working in this field. Best Regards, Thomas Zeitlhofer ...

changing CPerl indenting
I would like this: my $vars = { cgi => $cgi, pagetitle => 'SBAMentor', }; Changed to this: my $vars = { cgi => $cgi, pagetitle => 'SBAMentor', }; My eyes are blurry from looking for the answer. :-) I have cperl-mode on by default and I have the following in .emacs: ;; CPerl not Perl! (fset 'perl-mode 'cperl-mode) (add-hook 'cperl-mode-hook '(lambda () (cperl-set-style "PerlStyle"))) (setq cperl-hairy t) (setq cperl-indent-level 4) (setq cperl-continued-statement-offset 4) (setq cperl-brace-o...

My E-Mail Address
I just wanted to let everyone know that my e-mail address is knT6xMw8Vu@gmail.com On Mon, 26 May 2008 04:21:08 +0200, <knT6xMw8Vu@gmail.com> wrote: > I just wanted to let everyone know that my e-mail address is > kn[BREAKER]Mw8Vu@gm[BREAKER]il.com And your password is 'yourfirstname.lastname', and you meant to put them the other way around? -- Rik Wasmus ....spamrun finished ...

Debugging code that uses execvp
I have some code that I would need to debug. The thing is, the actions I need to debug are carried out by a separate program that gets execvp'd by main. Can gdb tackle this? I have the sources for all the code involved here. ...

How to change PCI interrupts?
We are trying to duplicate an experiment setup which uses QNX 6.1 and I am having some problems with the new computer. I am mostly a software guy, I don't know much about hardware but I believe the problem is about some interrupts clashing. The problem is when the PCI card is initialized and some FIFO open is attempted over the network with another QNX machine, the network goes down. The same cards and programs works fine with the current computers. I tested the new card with the old computers and it works fine. I tested the FIFO part without the PCI initialization and the netwo...

classify landsat image TM,ETM+ using Hidden Markov Model
I need matlab code to classify Landsat TM and ETM+ Images using Markov Random Field. I need some help. ...

To change password in Eudora? URGENT!
Hi, I have just changed my password to my principal account (on the web) and Eudora is not able anymore to download my emails. How can I change password in Eudora too? Thanks <st.lucky@katamail.com> wrote... > Hi, I have just changed my password to my principal account (on the > web) and Eudora is not able anymore to download my emails. > How can I change password in Eudora too? > Thanks I think this'll do it: In Eudora, click on "Special", then "Forget Password(s)". Now then next time you try to retrieve your email, Eudora will ...

Using hex string in where clause
I am trying to search for some information in a varchar2 column that has Arabic characters in it. Unfortunately I don't have an Arabic keyboard. Is there a way of easily doing something like the following. where column like '%\xE3\xCD\xE3\xCF%" Where the \xE3 is hex E3 TIA -- Steve Steve Rainbird wrote: > I am trying to search for some information in a varchar2 column that has > Arabic characters in it. Unfortunately I don't have an Arabic keyboard. > > Is there a way of easily doing something like the following. > > wher...