How to change IP address & subnet mask without using sys-unconfig ?

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

I tried changing the IP address and subnet mask values on my Solaris
10 x86 system earlier, using the
sys-unconfig command.  Upon rebooting, I was asked a series of
questions, where I re-entered
a new value for the IP address, subnet mask, hostname, etc.

But after rebooting, I ran into this problem:

"The DT messaging system could not be started".

So I really don't want to use the sys-unconfig command if I don't have
to.

If I just need to change the IP address and subnet mask on Solaris 10
x86,
how do I do this manually, without using the sys-unconfig command?
Thanks in advance.
0
Reply serendipity1276 (27) 6/18/2009 3:31:55 AM

See related articles to this posting

On Jun 17, 8:31 pm, Michelle <serendipity1...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I tried changing the IP address and subnet mask values on my Solaris
> 10 x86 system earlier, using the
> sys-unconfig command.  Upon rebooting, I was asked a series of
> questions, where I re-entered
> a new value for the IP address, subnet mask, hostname, etc.
>
> But after rebooting, I ran into this problem:
>
> "The DT messaging system could not be started".
>
> So I really don't want to use the sys-unconfig command if I don't have
> to.
>
> If I just need to change the IP address and subnet mask on Solaris 10
> x86,
> how do I do this manually, without using the sys-unconfig command?
> Thanks in advance.

Take a look at:

/etc/inet/hosts
/etc/inet/hosts.saved {what it was before you nuked it}
/etc/inet/netmasks
/etc/inet/networks
/etc/hostname.*
/etc/nodename

\:-\
0
Reply ThanksButNo 6/18/2009 5:56:44 AM

Michelle wrote:
> I tried changing the IP address and subnet mask values on my Solaris
> 10 x86 system earlier, using the
> sys-unconfig command.  Upon rebooting, I was asked a series of
> questions, where I re-entered
> a new value for the IP address, subnet mask, hostname, etc.
>
> But after rebooting, I ran into this problem:
>
> "The DT messaging system could not be started".

What is "The DT messaging system"?

> So I really don't want to use the sys-unconfig command if I don't have
> to.
>
> If I just need to change the IP address and subnet mask on Solaris 10
> x86,
> how do I do this manually, without using the sys-unconfig command?
> Thanks in advance.

See man sys-unconfig for a list of the files it touches.  Everything it
does, you can do by hand if you know how to use an editor; it's just
more work!

0
Reply Richard 6/18/2009 11:58:52 AM

Richard B. Gilbert wrote at 18.06.2009 13:58
>> "The DT messaging system could not be started".
>
> What is "The DT messaging system"?

"The DT messaging system could not be started.
To correct the problem:
....some hints...

For additional information, see the DT User's Guide."

This message appears only if you choose CDE as your GUI session, and if
the hosts own name resolution isn't possible (means name in
/etc/hostname.<IF> and corresponding IP address in /etc/hosts or name
service.

> See man sys-unconfig for a list of the files it touches.  Everything it
> does, you can do by hand if you know how to use an editor; it's just
> more work!

sys-unconfig is mostly a bad idea to solve such problems.

Michael

0
Reply Michael 6/18/2009 12:58:10 PM

Michael Weis wrote:
> Richard B. Gilbert wrote at 18.06.2009 13:58
>>> "The DT messaging system could not be started".
>>
>> What is "The DT messaging system"?
>
> "The DT messaging system could not be started.
> To correct the problem:
> ...some hints...
>
> For additional information, see the DT User's Guide."
>

> This message appears only if you choose CDE as your GUI session, and if
> the hosts own name resolution isn't possible (means name in
> /etc/hostname.<IF> and corresponding IP address in /etc/hosts or name
> service.
>
>> See man sys-unconfig for a list of the files it touches.  Everything
>> it does, you can do by hand if you know how to use an editor; it's
>> just more work!
>
> sys-unconfig is mostly a bad idea to solve such problems.
>
> Michael

I don't think I suggested USING sys-unconfig.  The man page, however,
identifies most, if not all, of the files affected by initial configuration.

0
Reply Richard 6/18/2009 1:43:54 PM

Hi,

Michelle wrote:
> I tried changing the IP address and subnet mask values on my Solaris
> 10 x86 system earlier, using the
> sys-unconfig command.  Upon rebooting, I was asked a series of
> questions, where I re-entered
> a new value for the IP address, subnet mask, hostname, etc.
>
> But after rebooting, I ran into this problem:
>
> "The DT messaging system could not be started".
>
> So I really don't want to use the sys-unconfig command if I don't have
> to.
>
> If I just need to change the IP address and subnet mask on Solaris 10
> x86,
> how do I do this manually, without using the sys-unconfig command?
> Thanks in advance.

/etc/hosts
/etc/netmask

Also check /etc/hostname.<interface> if you have a hostname/ipadress there

/michael
0
Reply Michael 6/18/2009 8:20:27 PM

Hi,

Richard B. Gilbert wrote:
> Michelle wrote:
>> I tried changing the IP address and subnet mask values on my Solaris
>> 10 x86 system earlier, using the
>> sys-unconfig command.  Upon rebooting, I was asked a series of
>> questions, where I re-entered
>> a new value for the IP address, subnet mask, hostname, etc.
>>
>> But after rebooting, I ran into this problem:
>>
>> "The DT messaging system could not be started".
>
> What is "The DT messaging system"?
>

>> So I really don't want to use the sys-unconfig command if I don't have
>> to.
>>
>> If I just need to change the IP address and subnet mask on Solaris 10
>> x86,
>> how do I do this manually, without using the sys-unconfig command?
>> Thanks in advance.
>
> See man sys-unconfig for a list of the files it touches.  Everything it
> does, you can do by hand if you know how to use an editor; it's just
> more work!

sys-unconfig does alot more that ipadress and netmask, so that will not
help him since he ask how to do it!

sys-unconfig will be like a fresh installs 1000 questions.

/michael
0
Reply Michael 6/18/2009 8:22:29 PM

Michael Laajanen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Richard B. Gilbert wrote:
>> Michelle wrote:
>>> I tried changing the IP address and subnet mask values on my Solaris
>>> 10 x86 system earlier, using the
>>> sys-unconfig command.  Upon rebooting, I was asked a series of
>>> questions, where I re-entered
>>> a new value for the IP address, subnet mask, hostname, etc.
>>>
>>> But after rebooting, I ran into this problem:
>>>
>>> "The DT messaging system could not be started".
>>
>> What is "The DT messaging system"?
>>

>>> So I really don't want to use the sys-unconfig command if I don't have
>>> to.
>>>
>>> If I just need to change the IP address and subnet mask on Solaris 10
>>> x86,
>>> how do I do this manually, without using the sys-unconfig command?
>>> Thanks in advance.
>>
>> See man sys-unconfig for a list of the files it touches.  Everything
>> it does, you can do by hand if you know how to use an editor; it's
>> just more work!
>>
> sys-unconfig does alot more that ipadress and netmask, so that will not
> help him since he ask how to do it!
>
> sys-unconfig will be like a fresh installs 1000 questions.
>
> /michael

Did you see where I wrote "SEE MAN SYS-UNCONFIG"???????   I didn't say
USE sys-unconfig!!!!!  You can edit any or all of the file listed and
change as little or as much as you wish.
0
Reply Richard 6/18/2009 10:27:38 PM
comp.unix.solaris 25782 articles. 87 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

How to change IP address & subnet mask without using sys-unconfig ?
I tried changing the IP address and subnet mask values on my Solaris 10 x86 system earlier, using the sys-unconfig command. Upon rebooting, I was asked a series of questions, where I re-entered a new value for the IP address, subnet mask, hostname, etc. But after rebooting, I ran into this problem: "The DT messaging system could not be started". So I really don't want to use the sys-unconfig command if I don't have to. If I just need to change the IP address and subnet mask on Solaris 10 x86, how do I do this manually, without using the sys-unconfig command? Thanks in ad...

Getting IP Address, Subnet Mask and Default Gateway using VB6
Hi Is there a way to find out the three parameters specified in the Local Area connection Status namely IP Address, Subnet Mask and Default Gateway using VB6? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance, Valiz. On 16 Apr 2004 20:33:38 -0700, deva8601@uidaho.edu (Valiz) wrote: >Hi >Is there a way to find out the three parameters specified in the Local >Area connection Status namely IP Address, Subnet Mask and Default >Gateway using VB6? >Any help would be greatly appreciated. >Thanks in advance, >Valiz. Here you go. Paste the following code in a standard...

What is the IP address ranges for these IP add. and subnet mask pairs?
IP Subnet Mask 212.140.133.181 255.255.255.0 212.140.133.181 255.255.255.224 212.140.133.181 255.255.248.0 212.140.133.181 255.255.255.128 Thanks in advance! In article <tpt2ovcmptc31vecaleto24at67j8klghj@4ax.com>, malandrin_b5 @yahoo.com says... > IP Subnet Mask > > 212.140.133.181 255.255.255.0 > 212.140.133.181 255.255.255.224 > 212.140.133.181 255.255.248.0 > 212.140.133.181 255.255.255.128 Nice to see the kids are back in school and don't know how to search for the subnet calculator. Son, we don'...

Lose IP Address And Subnet When Not In Use
I can connect to my network fine for browsing and emailing, but if I don't use my PC for a while, when I return it has locked up. Looking in the Win XP networks list, my LAN is still showing as enabled but when I click on it the info in the bottom left corner shows my IP address and subnet as both being zeros. Normally I have to reboot to start again. Can anyone help please? On 6 May 2005 14:35:07 -0700, gary.jackson@my-generation.org.uk wrote: >I can connect to my network fine for browsing and emailing, but if I >don't use my PC for a while, when I return it ha...

how to use ioctl to change IP Address?
how to use ioctl to change IP Address? thanks very much "Mot" <hezhenwei@sina.com.cn> writes: > how to use ioctl to change IP Address? Sample code: int sock; struct ifreq ifr; struct sockaddr_in *sin; sock = socket(AF_INET, SOCK_DGRAM, 0); strcpy(ifr.ifr_name, "eth0"); sin = (struct sockaddr_in *)&ifr.ifr_addr; sin->sin_family = AF_INET; inet_pton(AF_INET, "1.2.3.4", &sin->sin_addr); ioctl(sock, SIOCSIFADDR, &ifr); Cheers, -- * Michal Wojciechowski * odyniec -at- odyniec -dot- net ...

SuSeFirewall2 and range of addresses without using mask
Hello, Does anyone know how to setup a range of addresses in a block to allow certain protocols access without adding them individually (like 10-30) or using a netwmask? I've tried these examples on my internal network under the masquerade area using the SuseFirewall2 Webmin module: 10.0.0.100:150,0/0 10.0.0.100-150,0/0 10.0.0.100-10.0.0.150,0/0 10.0.0.100:150,0/0,tcp,80 (web only for testing restricted access) and some variants. Can anyone help? Thanks! Greg Greg Shepherd <neuromancer@bellsouth.net> wrote: > Hello, > > Does anyone know how to setup a range...

Generate IP address range from subnet mask
Pros, I was wondering if there is a API for generating ip address range from a given subnet mask (VLSM). Thanks, Shekar ...

change IP address without reboot in Win98
Hello all, I need to change the IP address of a network adapter under Win98 and without reboot. I need this in my C program but can be something else. I've found addIPaddress windows API function but it is only available from Win2000. I've also tried to use netsh DOS command but is existing only from Win2000. Any idea? Even with a reboot, any solution is worth testing it. Best regards ...

Change IP address without reboot HPUX 11i
Hello all! I want to know if it is possible to change the IP address of my RP5400 box, running HPUX 11i, without having to do a reboot. Base upon the research I have done so far, it looks like SAM may be my only option to do this. However, I am concerned because I have found some posts that indicate that SAM is not the most reliable method for performing this task. Any and all information provided would be most appreciated! Thanks, Jim On 4 Feb 2004 11:42:06 -0800, jduncan@weho.org (Jim) wrote: >Hello all! >I want to know if it is possible to change the IP address of my RP5400 >bo...

Determine IP address without using ENV vars
Hi- Years ago I used to visit an ENV test page that could display my IP address using JavaScript alone if I was using an ANON proxy. I'm trying to find that code to use as part of a 'privacy test' web page I'm building. If someone could post some sample code I'd appreciate it. Since I'm a raw newbee at JS, if anyone has a URL of a page that already does this it would even be better since I could, sort of, 'study it in the wild.' Thanks, S Philip Ronan wrote: > On 03.8.7 11:40 PM, S wrote: > > > Hi- > > > > Years ago I used to ...

Detecting unused IP addresses in a subnet using ping?
Hello All, Is there a way to find all the unused IP addresses of a particular subnet using ping command? If yes, what is the parameter to be passed to the ping command? This is for a enterprise intranet. For example, the subnet is 16.138.189 and I want to find some unused IP adddresses in this subnet to use. Thanks & Regards, Karthik dkarthik@gmail.com wrote: > Hello All, > > Is there a way to find all the unused IP addresses of a particular > subnet using ping command? If yes, what is the parameter to be passed > to the ping command? > > This is for a enterpri...

sshd broke after I change IP subnet address on server
Hi, I was configuring this server for a remote location. I was connecting fine with ssh until I changed the address to a different subnet. Now I keep getting access denied message everytime I try to connect. I have my laptop and the server on a switch with both configured on same subnet. I am connected to it through webmin and serial port, but I can not connect through ssh. Any suggestions on where to look would be greatly appreciated. -Paul On Tue, 7 Dec 2004 11:47:08 -0800, aptadmin <paul.j@aptalaska.com> wrote: > Hi, > I was configuring this server ...

howto check ip address in shell without using ifconfig?
Hi gurus, I got a question, suppose I don't have ifconfig command in my shell, is there a way that i can check my ip address? I don't know somehow my ifconfig just doesn't work, it is VM RHEL. Thanks, On Wed, 22 Aug 2007 20:36:25 +0200, Yinghe Chen wrote: > Hi gurus, > > I got a question, suppose I don't have ifconfig command in my shell, is > there a way that i can check my ip address? > > I don't know somehow my ifconfig just doesn't work, it is VM RHEL. > > Thanks, did you try /sbin/ifconfig .... maybe /sbin is not in your shell&...

Changing default subnet mask for ip local pools in PIX
Hi guys, I'm setting up our PIX 525 (running 6.3(3)) to allow remote pcs with cisco vpn client 4.04 to connect to it and access our internal network. Our clients are mostly XP boxes. The clients have successfully connected to the internal network via the PIX using IPSEC tunnelling, however when they are assigned an ip address by the PIX, they end up with the incorrect subnet mask. Our address pool is 172.16.6.16- 172.16.6.254, and an address from this pool is assigned to the remote client when it connects, however the subnet mask defaults to 255.255.0.0, which is incorrect (we are using a...

Making a client to use VPN for certain IP addresses or subnets
I have a problem that I run in to often. I often need a client to use the VPN connection to connect to certain IP addresses or subnets that are not on the subnet that the VPN router is on. For example, the VPN router allows a client to access an internal network of 192.l68.1.0 but I also need to make sure that the client uses this connection to get to a different subnet address 67.33.44.55 or something like that. The easiest way to do this is to check the "use default gateway on remote network" but this makes all traffice go through the VPN. Without manually mapping rout...

Possible to change the Source IP without using "Raw Sockets"
Hello there, is it possible to change a source IP address without using RAW SOCKETS with winsock1.1 ? I would like to send a udp segment with the IP Source Address 0.0.0.0 and used INADDR_ANY which represents 0.0.0.0. But in the networktrace Windows is always using it's real ip address ! best rgds -Karel ...

connecting a device that supports IP address, but not subnet mask or gateway to a network with multiple vlans
There are devices (time clocks) connected to our network that can be configured with an IP address but DO NOT support subnet mask or default gateway. Somehow they work, even though we are using multiple vlans and default gateways. Our current network consists of switches made by Marconi, I think they are ATM doing something called LANE (Lan emulation). I am moving to Cisco switches this weekend, 4507 at the core. Does anyone know if these devices will continue to work on a Cisco network without an option to configure a subnet mask and default gateway? In article <1175195796.721656.266050@...

change MAC address can change IP address of a machine?
Is there any way to change the MAC address of a machine? IP address is assigned by ISP. My understanding is that IP address is based on the MAC address of a machine, is that correct concept? please advise. thanks!! In article <1128101122.026114.302980@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>, <apngss@yahoo.com> wrote: :Is there any way to change the MAC address of a machine? Of most machines, Yes. :IP address is assigned by ISP. My understanding is that IP address is :based on the MAC address of a machine, is that correct concept? It might be, it might not be, it depends on the ISP. So...

Change MAC Address Can Change IP Address of a Machine?
Is there any way to change the MAC address of a machine? IP address is assigned by ISP. My understanding is that IP address is based on the MAC address of a machine, is that correct concept? Please advise. Thanks!! ...

Changing IP address on Solaris 9 with multiple virtual IP addresses
Hi We are running Solaris 9 and have configured the one physical NIC with 2 IP addresses allowing us to run 2 web servers and keep both on port 80. Is changing the IP address assigned to each host as simple as changing the entries in /etc/inet/hosts or do I need to start messing with ifconfig? TIA Robert robert.day@DONTNEEDTHISBITcambridgeshire.go.uk In article <63f953b1.0412090337.3833f9e@posting.google.com>, robertday@hotmail.com (Robert Day) writes: > Hi > > We are running Solaris 9 and have configured the one physical NIC with > 2 IP addresses allowing us to run 2 we...

use .profile to detmerine IP address and then do stuff if a particular IP address
Hi all. What could I include in a .profile script that would examine a users IP address and based on that, do things like log an entry in a file or even kill the session? TTY=`tty|sed 's/\/dev\///'` IP=`who|grep $TTY|awk '{print $6}'|tr -d '()'` if [ $IP = <some particular IP> ]; then <do some action> fi Good luck, Brandon On 10 Aug 2004, sumGirl wrote: > > > Hi all. What could I include in a .profile script that would examine a > users IP address and based on that, do things like log an entry in a > file or even kill the session?...

Re: Change MAC Address Can Change IP Address of a Machine?
> Is there any way to change the MAC address of a machine? Sometimes, depending on the network card and the OS software. For example, in FreeBSD you might use: ifconfig de0 ether 01:23:45:67:89:ab I understand Linux has a similar ability, and I think Windows XP can do it in a much more GUI-ish way. Some routers have a "clone MAC address" ability. This won't change the MAC address kept in the ROM, so the command has to be re-done every time the machine boots. > IP address is assigned by ISP. My understanding is that IP address > is based on the MAC ad...

Re: Change MAC Address Can Change IP Address of a Machine? #7
It was a dark and stormy night when jrefactors@hotmail.com wrote: > Is there any way to change the MAC address of a machine? What they said. There are also Windows programs, both shareware and freeware, that will change a computer's MAC address (check repositories such as http://www.tucows.com). ...

Re: Change MAC Address Can Change IP Address of a Machine? #4
In article <telecom24.444.6@telecom-digest.org>, jrefactors@hotmail.com wrote: > Is there any way to change the MAC address of a machine? IP address is On Windows I think you may have to edit the registry to do it. On most home broadband routers, you can do it from their web-based configuration system. > assigned by ISP. My understanding is that IP address is based on the > MAC address of a machine, is that correct concept? Sort of. The ISP's DHCP server typically remembers the IP address that it previously assigned to a MAC address. When that MAC addres...

Re: Change MAC Address Can Change IP Address of a Machine? #2