How to use snoop to check drop connection or other utility

I am having problem with inconsistent connection to a solaris 8 system.

I use telnet from my pc and drops and /or delays connection.
I also use gui application to that solaris system and loses connection
but has the
capabiltity of reconnecting automaticaly.

Now when I use the snoop
>snoop -d interface1 -D

I do see drop packets but when i compare the connection to another good
connection
solaris it also shows drop packets.

What I am trying to ask is can someone give me hints how to look into a
drop or bad connections or is there better utility other then snoop.

I am trying to convince a customer site IT guy, which I need to prove
that to him first that
its their network and not my solaris system

thanks in advance

bye
Rashid

0
rashidaq (6)

rashidaq@gmail.com wrote:
> I am having problem with inconsistent connection to a solaris 8 system.
>
> I use telnet from my pc and drops and /or delays connection.
> I also use gui application to that solaris system and loses connection
> but has the
> capabiltity of reconnecting automaticaly.
>
> Now when I use the snoop
>> snoop -d interface1 -D
>
> I do see drop packets but when i compare the connection to another good
> connection
> solaris it also shows drop packets.
>
> What I am trying to ask is can someone give me hints how to look into a
> drop or bad connections or is there better utility other then snoop.
>
> I am trying to convince a customer site IT guy, which I need to prove
> that to him first that
> its their network and not my solaris system
>
> thanks in advance
>
> bye
> Rashid

Capture with snoop (using the -o file) option, then use ethereal
to try to understand what you captured.
0
Robert
5/15/2006 2:45:46 PM
Rashid,

rashidaq@gmail.com wrote:
> I am having problem with inconsistent connection to a solaris 8 system.
>
> I use telnet from my pc and drops and /or delays connection.
> I also use gui application to that solaris system and loses connection
> but has the
> capabiltity of reconnecting automaticaly.
>
> Now when I use the snoop
>> snoop -d interface1 -D
>
> I do see drop packets but when i compare the connection to another good
> connection
> solaris it also shows drop packets.
>
> What I am trying to ask is can someone give me hints how to look into a
> drop or bad connections or is there better utility other then snoop.
>
> I am trying to convince a customer site IT guy, which I need to prove
> that to him first that
> its their network and not my solaris system
>
> thanks in advance
>
> bye
> Rashid

It's probably a speed/duplex mismatch between your host's NIC and the
attached network switch, if you're seeing errors reported with "netstat
-i".  One option, is to force both ends to 100/full.  On Solaris, you
can do this in the /etc/system file or through an ndd script.  Google
should provide all of the resources necessary.

Roy
0
Roy