How to use snoop to check drop connection or other utility

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

I am having problem with inconsistent connection to a solaris 8 system.

I use telnet from my pc and drops and /or delays connection.
I also use gui application to that solaris system and loses connection
but has the
capabiltity of reconnecting automaticaly.

Now when I use the snoop
>snoop -d interface1 -D

I do see drop packets but when i compare the connection to another good
connection
solaris it also shows drop packets.

What I am trying to ask is can someone give me hints how to look into a
drop or bad connections or is there better utility other then snoop.

I am trying to convince a customer site IT guy, which I need to prove
that to him first that
its their network and not my solaris system

thanks in advance

bye
Rashid

0
Reply rashidaq (6) 5/15/2006 2:15:21 AM

See related articles to this posting

rashidaq@gmail.com wrote:
> I am having problem with inconsistent connection to a solaris 8 system.
>
> I use telnet from my pc and drops and /or delays connection.
> I also use gui application to that solaris system and loses connection
> but has the
> capabiltity of reconnecting automaticaly.
>
> Now when I use the snoop
>> snoop -d interface1 -D
>
> I do see drop packets but when i compare the connection to another good
> connection
> solaris it also shows drop packets.
>
> What I am trying to ask is can someone give me hints how to look into a
> drop or bad connections or is there better utility other then snoop.
>
> I am trying to convince a customer site IT guy, which I need to prove
> that to him first that
> its their network and not my solaris system
>
> thanks in advance
>
> bye
> Rashid

Capture with snoop (using the -o file) option, then use ethereal
to try to understand what you captured.
0
Reply Robert 5/15/2006 2:45:46 PM

Rashid,

rashidaq@gmail.com wrote:
> I am having problem with inconsistent connection to a solaris 8 system.
>
> I use telnet from my pc and drops and /or delays connection.
> I also use gui application to that solaris system and loses connection
> but has the
> capabiltity of reconnecting automaticaly.
>
> Now when I use the snoop
>> snoop -d interface1 -D
>
> I do see drop packets but when i compare the connection to another good
> connection
> solaris it also shows drop packets.
>
> What I am trying to ask is can someone give me hints how to look into a
> drop or bad connections or is there better utility other then snoop.
>
> I am trying to convince a customer site IT guy, which I need to prove
> that to him first that
> its their network and not my solaris system
>
> thanks in advance
>
> bye
> Rashid

It's probably a speed/duplex mismatch between your host's NIC and the
attached network switch, if you're seeing errors reported with "netstat
-i".  One option, is to force both ends to 100/full.  On Solaris, you
can do this in the /etc/system file or through an ndd script.  Google
should provide all of the resources necessary.

Roy
0
Reply Roy 5/25/2006 6:45:22 PM
comp.unix.solaris 25769 articles. 87 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Using select() to check before connect()
I found that if I try to call connect (TCP) on an invalid address (i.e. not-pingable). It will take a pretty long time before connect returns. I have heard the method about using select to "peek" before actually calling connect. But it doesn't work for me (see code below), I think the problem is that select does not work this way. So do I have to set the socket to non-blocking, call connect, and then select instead? Here is the code that I used: timeval TIMEOUT = {4, 0}; //n second timeout for select fd_set FD; memset(&FD, 0, sizeof(fd_set)); ...

Using ethtool to check for dropped packets
Hi all, I'm trying to use ethtool to check for dropped packets by my Myricom card. From ethtool -S, I see quite a few statistics that appear to be related to dropped packets, i.e. dropped_link_overflow dropped_link_error_or_filtered dropped_pause dropped_bad_phy dropped_bad_crc32 dropped_unicast_filtered dropped_multicast_filtered dropped_runt dropped_overrun dropped_no_small_buffer dropped_no_big_buffer Is there somewhere where I can find explanations of what each of these statistics mean? If I do happen to find dropped packets, what are some of the things I can do to improve the situ...

checking if a connect using ServerProxy fails
Hi How do you test if a connect fails. I'm doing this at the moment: print 'Connect' try: self.sp = ServerProxy('http://localhost:5001') except Fault, f: print 'fail' but it doesn't fail. I don't have anything listening on port 5001. ...

Why does the connection speed drop when using a router?
I have 3 Macs connected to a 10 Mbit/s LAN using a D-Link DI 604 router. Two of the Macs are running Mac OS X 10.2 and one is running 9.2.2. If I connect my main Mac directly, without any router, I get almost 9.6 Mbit/s, but if the signal passes through the router I only get about 1 Mbit/s. I was told that if I tell my "PC" to use Full Duplex I would get back to 9+ Mbit/s. The trouble is I have no idea how that can be done on a Mac. Obviously that is possible on a PC running Win XP. Cheers, Jon In article <110820032322570432%jon@nonof.bz>, Jon <jon@nonof.bz> wrot...

Sockets
What is the correct way to determine if a socket to which you wereconnected has been closed, either by implicitly calling close() on it,or because the code that created it has been terminated?This, for example, does not do what I believe it should:import java.net.InetAddress;import java.net.ServerSocket;import java.net.Socket;import javax.swing.JOptionPane;public class TestSocketCloseApp{ public static void main(String[] args) { try { // Create a listening socket. ServerSocket listener = new ServerSocket(9999); // Create a client socket and initiate a connection. Socket client = newS...

The Witcher 2 launcher utility checks for connectivity?
Maybe its been there all along, but I never noticed the little lightning bolt (or skull if you're not connected) indicating I'm online. What is this for? Update notifications for non-Steam users maybe? On Fri, 03 Jun 2011 19:31:36 -0400, Rin Stowleigh <rstowleigh@gmail.com> wrote: > >Maybe its been there all along, but I never noticed the little >lightning bolt (or skull if you're not connected) indicating I'm >online. > >What is this for? Update notifications for non-Steam users maybe? Click on the "View Readme file" in the Launcher af...

Scheduled events and how to check connection using Ruby?
Hi, I run a PC desktop with Win XP SP1 and an application that allows remote desktop access. I would like to check if someone is connected to my PC before I perform a scheudled shutdown. So, question is, how do u check if someone is connected to your machine using Ruby? And how do u perform scheudled shutdown with Ruby? Are these possible? Thanks for any idea! ...

Check internet connection status using Matlab
Hi All, is there a way to check if I'm connected to the internet using matlab? Best, Jaime doc web On Oct 17, 1:12=A0pm, "Matt Fig" <spama...@yahoo.com> wrote: > doc web I would like to write a function that returns true if it's connected to the internet. Best, Jaime Jaime Zamora wrote: > is there a way to check if I'm connected to the internet using > matlab? Only if you add additional hardware to be able to verify a quantum-cryptography secured connection with a site you have *personally* installed the quantum cryptography hardware on. If you do a...

Checking TCP/IP connection when using GUIs
Hi I am currently programming a GUI to communicate with a remote host via TCP/IP. I use the fopen, fprintf and fscan functions to do so on a TCP/IP object I have created. This works fine so far. Now the part I am not sure how to accomplish. My server/remote host is able to send out a signal when my client (GUI) is connected, to tell that the connection is alive e.g. "Your are connected", therefore I want to check for this message every e.g. 1 sec. to check if my connection is up and running, but to do so, according to my knowledge, I have to place my scan in a loop that checks every...

Can you efficiently check an ODBC connection before using it ?
Hi there ! It seems to me that the ADOConnection can tell you 'connected' even if the network connection to the database is defective... How can one be sure to be 'connected' ? Or should i disconnect after transactions and reconnect when i need it ? Thanks, Eddy. Eddy Fontaine wrote: > Hi there ! > > It seems to me that the ADOConnection can tell you 'connected' even > if the network connection to the database is defective... > How can one be sure to be 'connected' ? You have to put in some exception handling; you are ...

How do you make an ODBC connection not use the "Use Trusted Connection"?
I have an Access front end that uses an ODBC connection to a SQL Server database. Every time i come into my Access front end and try to execute a query, it fails and the prompts me with a SQL Server Login . The dialog has the server name, a checkbox for "Use Trusted Connection", a login ID and password. of course if the checkbox is checked, the login ID and password are greyed out. It defaults to the checkbox being checked. I can't for the life of me find out where to change it so the checkbox is always unchecked by default and it uses a specific login ID and password each tim...

Using Perl to check-out check-in in Clearcase
Hi, I am trying to write tool will use the zip file as input, unzips the files, check out files from clearcase vobs, copy them on checked out files and than checks them in. If any file in zip file was not found in vobs it will create new element and will check it out, copy file on this element and will check it in. Can someone suggest how this can be done in using perl? Thanks ...

when do we use 4-connected and 8-connected
can anyone tell me when do use 4-connected and when do we use 8- connected in an image to find pixes that satisfy certain criteria. ...

wireless connection dropping after a few min connected
Hi all, I'm running a Win XP system on a Sony VIAO laptop, I don't know if I have a built in card or not. We use a Belkin wireless card with a D-link 2.4GHz Router (Mod no DI-714P+), WEP enabled, as well as MAC address filering enabled. If you need any other info along setting lines let me know. We're having a lot of trouble with the card because it's simply dropping the signal after only a few minutes. I thought that this was because we had turned off SSID broadcasting . . . but after some experimentation it seems that is not it. Another thing I worry about--we pick up sign...

Connecting using a Socket
This answer is probably a simple one, but I haven't done a ton of socket programming in Java. On a ConnectException, how can I determine whether the exception was caused by a refused connection (as opposed to a host being unreachable or some other problem?) Sure, I could call getMessage() and see if the message is "Connection refused" - but will that work if my app is translated into another language? -- Steve Sobol, Victorville, California, USA Microsoft's new marketing slogan for Windows is "Life Without Walls." But if you have no walls, how can you have wi...

how to do cvs check-in check-out using ant.
Hi, I want to do check-in check-out using ANT. I have used following commands. <target name="checkOutFromCVS" > <!--<cvs command="-q diff -u -N" output="patch.txt"/>--> <cvs cvsRoot="${cvs.server.root}" package="${cvs.server.package}" dest="${cvs.server.destination}" /> </target> <target name="checkOutFromCVS1" > <!--<cvs command="-q diff -u -N" output="patch.txt"/>--> ...

connecting Sqlserver2000 using connection string
Hi, I Have Problem While Connecting To SqlServer2000. My Datbase Name :- Employee User Name :- 'Sa' Password :- 'sa' How can i connect to SqlServer2000 using connection String. conn = database('Emplyee','Sa','sa',?,?) what should i have to give in place '?' , regards BAIJU MAX ...

ssh: how to make it drop the connection when it is not connected?
I've set up a ssh tunnel that runs at startup so that I can send mail when I'm off-campus: #!/bin/sh # http://cg.scs.carleton.ca/~morin/misc/laptopmail/ .. /etc/rc.common ConsoleMessage "Starting smtptunnel" while [ 1 ]; do ssh -N -L25:mailserver:25 username@mailserver sleep 5 done The loop should make it maintain the connection when it drops. Unfortunately, when it is set up and then I lose network connectivity (sleeping my machine and waking it back up, or leaving wireless range), it doesn't drop the connection; instead it maintains some sort of zombie connection. ...

PPPD Connect Using Broadband Connection (problem)
Hello, For the past 10+ days I have been pulling my hair out trying to configure pppd (on my SUSE Linux 7.3 system) using my cable modem broadband connection. I have to use SUSE linux 7.3 because im using linux for Kylix development and thats the only OS that is currently supported. My situation is that I am trying to connect my home linux system to a remote office. The remote office is using Microsoft RAS server, hence I need pppd to connect to it. Before I began I configured my home Windows XP system such that it connected to the remote office using the VPN, this worked therefore acknow...

When to use check constraints and when to use small tables?
This is a question about database design philosophy and opinion more than anything else. Imagine we have a person table ID (int), Title(VARCHAR(22)), Gender(Char(1)), State(Char(2)), First_Name.......... Something along those lines. Now, we all know that it makes no sense to have a gender table - a simple check constraint = 'M' or 'F' is all that's required. For Title, the situation is slightly different. You could have Ms., Mr., Mrs. - but what happens if you want to add 'Fr.', 'Col.', 'Excellency', 'Her Imperial Highness', 'Hi...

Using Novell Connection Classes to Connect to iPlanet
We are using Novell connection classes to hook up to a iPlanet LDAP (release 5.1) Has anyone notice any pros or cons to the above connection set-up? There isn't much info online available on the stability etc. We were advised to use the Novell connection classes instead of Netscape because of the better support available from Novell - or is this false comfort? Thanks very much. Kaize Szoze ...

PPPD Connect Using Broadband Connection (problem)
Hello, For the past 10+ days I have been pulling my hair out trying to configure pppd (on my SUSE Linux 7.3 system) using my cable modem broadband connection. I have to use SUSE linux 7.3 because im using linux for Kylix development and thats the only OS that is currently supported. My situation is that I am trying to connect my home linux system to a remote office. The remote office is using Microsoft RAS server, hence I need pppd to connect to it. Before I began I configured my home Windows XP system such that it connected to the remote office using the VPN, this worked there...

DNS check on Connect, getting rid of unresolvable connections
Hi, I am seeing a lot of spam-connections from hosts the DNS servers cannot completely resolve, either not getting A-Records or the PTRs or none. However, sendmail is happily accepting mails and rejects only, if the From and To addresses fail. Why not on already on connection? Is this breaking any RFC Rules? Can this be specified in some FEATURE I am missing? 2 examples: sendmail: server adsl-216-44.38-151.net24.it [151.38.44.216] cmd read sendmail: k8K9IGeA016259 150.57.rev.ruscomp.net [217.116.57.150] (may be forged): RCPT TO: I am on sendmail 8.12.10. Thanks Joachim My badDNS milter h...

Creating Connection without using Connection Manager Dialog
Hi all, I am trying to write an app to automatically create Internet connection settings for pocketpc 2002 using win32 api. Assuming that there is a connection between a pocketpc and cell phone (could be serial port, irda, bluetooth etc; as long as it can support data communication). The application should be able to create the connection settings without using the conn mgr dialog. 1) Can I detect the phone model and carrier with some API or using AT commands? (This is required for determining Number to dial and baud rate.) 2) Can I store the password somehow? It seems RasSetEntryProp...