I can not find Tcl/expect after install Solaris 9

Why can i not find tcl/expect utility after install
Solaris 9?
The Perl is there.

TIA,

ST
0
aaabbb16

In article <dc998cfd.0502242347.41afa831@posting.google.com>,
 aaabbb16@hotmail.com (wld) wrote:

> Why can i not find tcl/expect utility after install
> Solaris 9?
> The Perl is there.
>
> TIA,
>
> ST

AFAIK, tcl/expect aren't part of the vanilla install.  There's a bunch
of extra stuff in /opt/sfw, I think.  I know older versions of Solaris
better where the full install didn't offer these extra packages unless
you installed them afterwards.

--
DeeDee, don't press that button!  DeeDee!  NO!  Dee...

0
Michael
2/25/2005 8:39:42 AM
According to wld <aaabbb16@hotmail.com>:
:Why can i not find tcl/expect utility after install
:Solaris 9?
:The Perl is there.

Well, Sun doesn't ship with either tclsh or expect installed in /bin .
If you loaded the optional software cd - the one with gcc, etc. on it,
then look in /opt/sfw/bin for tclsh8.3 and expect.  It appeas that
the optional software distribution has only this small amount of the
hundreds of Tcl extensions available.

Anyone know to whom one would talk to so that more extensions might be
included - such as, say, Tk?
--
0
lvirden
In article <cvnca3$mlh$1@srv38.cas.org>,  <lvirden@gmail.com> wrote:

>According to wld <aaabbb16@hotmail.com>:
>:Why can i not find tcl/expect utility after install
>:Solaris 9?
>:The Perl is there.
>
>Well, Sun doesn't ship with either tclsh or expect installed in /bin .
>If you loaded the optional software cd - the one with gcc, etc. on it,
>then look in /opt/sfw/bin for tclsh8.3 and expect.  It appeas that
>the optional software distribution has only this small amount of the
>hundreds of Tcl extensions available.
>
>Anyone know to whom one would talk to so that more extensions might be
>included - such as, say, Tk?
			.
			.
			.
On a bad day, I have the impression that it would be less
trouble to buy all of Sun, than to try to go through chan-
nels to achieve what ought to be a simple result like
including Tk in /opt/sfw/bin.

On a technical basis, I find a lot to like in Solaris.  SMC
sure doesn't line up its products for *my* convenience,
though.
0
claird
2/25/2005 4:08:04 PM
On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 14:21:55 +0000, lvirde wrote:

> According to wld <aaabbb16@hotmail.com>:
> :Why can i not find tcl/expect utility after install
> :Solaris 9?
> :The Perl is there.
>
> Well, Sun doesn't ship with either tclsh or expect installed in /bin .

Quite so.  tclsh is /usr/sfw/bin/tclsh8.4 in s10_72.  expect is not
included.

> Anyone know to whom one would talk to so that more extensions might be
> included - such as, say, Tk?

Tk is included with Solaris and has been for quite some time in package
SUNWTk.

0
Dave
2/25/2005 4:34:38 PM
Ah - I don't have any control over what solaris packages are loaded -
and that isn't one loaded here.  Plus I've only got Solaris 8 ...
perhaps it is a Sol 10 thing.

Thanks for the update though!

0
Larry
2/25/2005 5:36:20 PM
On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 09:36:20 -0800, Larry W. Virden wrote:

> Ah - I don't have any control over what solaris packages are loaded -
> and that isn't one loaded here.  Plus I've only got Solaris 8 ...
> perhaps it is a Sol 10 thing.

You can use pkginfo to see if SUNWTcl and SUNWTk are installed.  I know
they were part of Solaris 9; don't remember about Solaris 8, but probably
not.  IIRC the whole /usr/sfw thing came about with Solaris 9 and that is
the version number in the Subject.

0
Dave
2/25/2005 5:44:58 PM
Cameron Laird wrote:
> On a bad day, I have the impression that it would be less
> trouble to buy all of Sun, than to try to go through chan-
> nels to achieve what ought to be a simple result like
> including Tk in /opt/sfw/bin.

It's there in Solaris 10, I believe.

  - Logan
0
Logan
2/26/2005 3:04:02 AM
In article <pan.2005.02.25.17.44.58.108477@yahoo.com>, Dave Uhring wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 09:36:20 -0800, Larry W. Virden wrote:
>> Ah - I don't have any control over what solaris packages are loaded -
>> and that isn't one loaded here.  Plus I've only got Solaris 8 ...
>> perhaps it is a Sol 10 thing.
> You can use pkginfo to see if SUNWTcl and SUNWTk are installed.  I know
> they were part of Solaris 9; don't remember about Solaris 8, but probably
> not.  IIRC the whole /usr/sfw thing came about with Solaris 9 and that is
> the version number in the Subject.

Distinctly remember /opt/sfw on 8/SPARC.

lg, Bernd
--
There was only one road back to L.A.
0
On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 13:34:29 +0100, Bernd Haug wrote:

> In article <pan.2005.02.25.17.44.58.108477@yahoo.com>, Dave Uhring wrote:

>> You can use pkginfo to see if SUNWTcl and SUNWTk are installed.  I know
>> they were part of Solaris 9; don't remember about Solaris 8, but probably
>> not.  IIRC the whole /usr/sfw thing came about with Solaris 9 and that is
>> the version number in the Subject.
>
> Distinctly remember /opt/sfw on 8/SPARC.

Yes, from the Software Companion CD.  But those packages had the SFW tag,
not SUNW.  Solaris 9 SCCD also installed its packages into /opt/sfw.

0
Dave

Can you install Solaris 9 into a Solaris 9 container?
I found a lot of documentation about installing a Solaris 9 flar into a Solaris 9 container. Can you install Solaris 9 from media into a container? B. On 04/18/11 11:44 AM, Bartholomew wrote: > I found a lot of documentation about installing a Solaris 9 flar into a > Solaris 9 container. Can you install Solaris 9 from media into a container? I don't think so. AFAIR it works only with a flar or ufsdump. On 2011-04-18 17:04:28 +0100, Oscar del Rio said: > On 04/18/11 11:44 AM, Bartholomew wrote: >> I found a lot of documentation about installing a Solaris 9 flar into a ...

Solaris 9 x86 install can't find DHCP server
I'm having trouble installing Solaris 9 on my PC. I'm using a Kingston NIC (the Solaris 9 install successfully recognizes the card as DEC 21140 Fast Ethernet, dnet0. The card worked with a previous Solaris 8 install with no hassle.) I have Windows XP on the same box and the card works ok. After selecting DHCP and waiting for several minutes for detection I get this response: "Could not contact a dhcp server on the network interface dnet0" I have a broadband connection with a cable router which I've bypassed for troubleshooting and I still get the same error. ...

Installing Solaris 10 or Solaris 9
Hi there, I have an old Sun Box, is an Ultra SPARC-IIi 300MHz, right now I am using Solaris 9. I have a two parts question, first one is, can I install Solaris 10 on this machine?, maybe is just to outdated for it. Second question is, can I download all the Solaris 9 software from "www.sun.com" as DVD, into a Windows XP box, them burn them as a DVD, will it work on my Sun Box?, or once I download them in to the Windows box, do I have to expand each zip file, them burn them into a DVD, and again the same question will it work on the Sun Box? Thanks. Alfonso G. Urroz "Alfonso...

How to install/find the 3 of 9 barcode on Solaris 9 ?
anyone know where I can download this font to install on my Solaris box? Need detailed instructions. thanks. BartonekDragRacing@Yahoo.com writes in comp.unix.solaris: |anyone know where I can download this font to install on my Solaris |box? Need detailed instructions. thanks. Solaris supports most of the standard font formats, including TrueType, PostScript Type 1, PostScript Type 3, and BDF, so you don't need to find a Solaris font for it - just a TrueType or PostScript font for it. -- Alan Coopersmith * alanc@alum.calberkeley.org * Alan.Coopersmith@Sun.COM http://blogs.sun.co...

Sun Solaris Certification
Dear all: I am wondering what will be the right decision regarding Sun Solaris Certification, should I take Solaris 9 certification or should I go for Solaris 10. As I am quiet new in the Solaris field, question arises in my mind, if I get training on Solaris 10, can I easily work on Solaris 9 or Solaris 8 environment ? If any company works on Solaris 9 boxes, whom he will give preference first, Solaris 9 Admin or Solaris 10 Admin, or it does not matter on Solaris version ? Thanks in advance. Best reagrds zaki <shamim.zaki@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1162158973.912696.111680...

Updating Solaris 9 12/03 to Solaris 9 9/05
I have looked at SunSolve and found the following: http://www.sun.com/service/sunupdate/hosted/#system "Sun Update Connection - System is currently available for Solaris 10 systems only." I'm looking for a commandline method to update Solaris 9 12/03 to Solaris 9 9/05. Something similar to Linux's yum would be nice. Suggestions? Thanks, John On Thu, 16 Nov 2006, John wrote: > I'm looking for a commandline method to update Solaris 9 12/03 to Solaris 9 > 9/05. Something similar to Linux's yum would be nice. > > Suggestions? The closest thing is Li...

Can an SGI IRIS compiled program run on Solaris 10 or a version of UNIX that can be freely installed on Microsoft virtual PC ?
Hi everyone, I would like to ask if anyone could please help me with the following problem. I want to use a free program that seems to be compiled for an SGI IRIS OS. The source files are available here... http://www.cim.mcgill.ca/ftp/rmsl/usycams/ Is there a free OS that I can install on Microsoft Virtual PC so that I can use this program on a XP host machine? Alternatively, is there any type of software emulator I can install that would allow me to use this program on a windows XP machine ? Is it difficult or even possible to compile the source to run on windows XP or a UNIX based OS tha...

Can't upgrade Solaris 7 to Solaris 9 4/03
Dear experts, we are trying to upgrade our Ultra 10 with Solaris 7 to Solaris 9. The installation process shows us: ......... ......... ... To perform an upgrade of the Solaris Operating Environment select Upgrade. The Solaris Operating Environment will be updated and other contents on the hard disk will be left unchanged. Backing up the existing Solaris Operating Environment is recommended. 1. Initial Install 2. Upgrade Install Select Upgrade or Initial install [1] 2 Gathering upgrade information, please wait... \ At this moment a new window appeared with: Could not reinitialize syste...

LiveUpgrade older Solaris 9 to newer Solaris 9
We support 70 to 80 Sun systems running various releases of Solaris 9 (e.g. s9_58shwpl3, 12/02, 8/03, 4/04 and 9/04). Does anyone know if we can use LiveUpgrade to upgrade the older releases of Solaris 9 to the 9/04 release? We would like to get all of our systems running the 9/04 release of Solaris 9 and LiveUpgrade appears to be a quick and simple way of making that happen. Does anyone have experience doing this with LiveUpgrade? If LiveUpgrade can be used to do these upgrades, any idea if the use of LiveUpgrade in this manner is fully supported by Sun (i.e. if we run into a problem can ...

solaris 9 AND solaris 10
hi *, Can <subject> be installed together on one sparc ultra 5? rthanks for any help. Yes. On two disks, easily. On one disk it's more involved, but IIRC is do-able, providing you slice things up properly and don't try to do things like share /, /usr etc. Alternatively, investigate LiveUpgrade which makes the whole process a lot easier. -Mark ...

Where can I find a better Solaris 10 Network installation guide?
I need to Install Solaris 10 on a SUN T1000 worksation (SPRAC no CD/DVD ROM) and it can't be booted by itself. so I can tell it only have mac addr, but no IP addr. I followed a guide and used setup_install_server, and share as NFS. copied jumpstart rules (any machine) added client with mac addr. them "boot net -i install" on the client T1000 it seems the T1000 have connected to the Install server. the LAN LED on both two machine are blinking simultaneously. but the T1000 will get a panic CPU(20) error. when it try to give it self a hostname "whoami" It seems som...

After Solaris 9 full install: How can I turn off port 1720
I have installed "all" the Solaris 9 software on the 9/05 distribution CDs, including companion CDs. I see via NMAP that TCP port 1720 is listening. A netstat -a does not show the port listening. If I use the old "telnet to port 1720" it does connect...I just wanted to validate NMAP...I should never have doubted NMAP... ;-) First part of my question is why is it that port 1720 does not show up as listening via netstat -a ? Is there a global listener like RPC or something? Second part is does anyone know where to disable the H.323/port 1720 processes or listener? Plea...

Which patch cluster: Solaris 9 or Solaris 9 Sun Alert ????
At http://sunsolve.sun.com/pub-cgi/show.pl?target=patches/patch-access there are two patch clusters for Solaris 9 (SPARC) 1) Solaris 9 Sun Alert Patch Cluster (127.6M) NAME: Solaris 9 Sun Alert Patch Cluster DATE: 12/24/2004 2) Solaris 9 (133.5M) NAME: Solaris 9 Recommended Patch Cluster DATE: Dec/23/04 Reading the README's for these I can't work out what is the difference between them. I've not checked each patch individually to see what is the latest, but why are there two copies? I must be missing something here. Dave <nospam@nowhere.com> wrote: > Rea...

Process Scehduling in Unix version Sun Solaris (I know this is the linux group but I couldnt find a sun solaris one)
I just needed to find out how processes are scheduled in Sun's solaris and an outline of the scheduling algorithm - I've looked on the web without anyluck - couldnt find anything specific. "Amerz" <amerdeep@gmail.com> writes: > I just needed to find out how processes are scheduled in Sun's solaris > and an outline of the scheduling algorithm - I've looked on the web > without anyluck - couldnt find anything specific. > Assuming oyu mean threads too, then you didnt look very hard - first search gives this: http://www.google.de/search?q=solaris+ke...

Can't ping network on fresh install Solaris 9
I am trying to install Solaris 9/X86 on a KT400 chipset which uses a RealTek 8100 series NIC. I downloaded the realtek driver and ran the install script. If I do a ifconfig -a I see the interface with a MAC address: rtls0: flags: 1000843<UP BROADCAST>, RUNNING, MULTICAST, IPv4,> mtu 1500 index 2 inet 192.168.0.37 netmask ffffff00 broadcast 192.168.0.255 ether 0:20:ed:90:b6:1a prtconf: pci10ec, 8139, instance #0 netstat -rn dest gateway flags ref use interface 192.168.0.0 192.168.0.37 U 1 53 rtls0 127.0.0.1 120.0.0.1 UH 22 10098 lo0 /etc/hosts: 127.0.0.1 localhost 192.168.0...

core install of Solaris 9 (sparc) package list can be trimmed ?
All: I just installed Solaris 9 4/03 onto a Netra T1 AC 105 and I chose the core install cluster. This is a server that will have very specific reasons for running and thus I don't need much on it except the OS bare bones. The big question is, what is bare bones? The package list for a core install is very large still and there are some obvious things that can be pkgrm'd but what are the not so obvious packages? The list, untouched, is as follows : system SMEvplr SME platform links system SMEvplu SME usr/platform links system SUNWadmr ...

SN#20552 Running Solaris 8 and 9 Applications on Solaris 10 with Solaris Containers
SYSTEM NEWS FOR SUN USERS Vol 127 Issue 1 2008-09-01 Article 20552 from section "BigAdmin" BigAdmin XPerts Session The BigAdmin XPert sessions all BigAdmin community members to interact with experts who will answers questions for the whole community to see. In a recent session, Jeff Victor was the expert and the topic was, "Running Solaris 8 and 9 Applications on Solaris 10 with Solaris Containers". Jeff Victor authored the Sun BluePrints document "Solaris Containers Technology Architecture Guide", &qu...

Solaris 10 (build 63) upgrade fails on Solaris 8 as well as Solaris 9 sparcs
Hello Using the Solaris 10 build 63 for sparc. Tried to do upgrades on the following two machines. 1. E4500 Solaris 8 (117350-11 Kernel level) Entire Distribution OEM support cluster, OBP 3.2.30. 2. Ultra 2 Solaris 9 Entire Distribution and OEM support cluster. On both machines the upgrade starts when I put the CD 1 and and reaches to the point where I have to select whether I want to do "Initial Install" or "Upgrade". When I check upgrade it starts initializing the system and halfway through I get the follwoing error "Could not reinitialize the sy...

Where I can find 3Com 3C905B-TX NIC driver for Solaris 9 SPARC version
Does anyone know where I can find 3Com 3C905B-TX NIC driver for Solaris 9 SPARC version? I want to install one on my Blade 150 machine. In article <mABgd.15327$6q2.14248@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com>, "Hsien-Cheng Li" <Hsien-Cheng_Li@sbcglobal.net> wrote: > Does anyone know where I can find 3Com 3C905B-TX NIC driver for Solaris 9 > SPARC version? I want to install one on my Blade 150 machine. 3Com doesn't seem to make such beasties. Any reason why you're not using a supported NIC so you don't have to go through this hassle with discontinued hard...

Solaris 9 vs. Solaris 10?
I recently changed my x86 version of Solaris 8 to Solaris 10 at home, and so far I really like what I see. I never installed Solaris 9. What were the major differences between Solaris 9 and Solaris 10? - Scott Smith: scott.smith@iphouse.com MySpace: http://www.myspace.com/choppersmith S. Smith <scott.smith@iphouse.com> wrote: > > I recently changed my x86 version of Solaris 8 to Solaris 10 > at home, and so far I really like what I see. > > I never installed Solaris 9. What were the major differences between > Solaris 9 and Sol...

Solaris 9 differences than Solaris 8
Ive read over some of the errata type and release notes information for Solaris 9. Just a couple of quick questions for those of you that have migrated. Is CDE still available in 9? Also, if I have applications that utilize the libs in /usr/openwin are they still available? Basically I read that /usr/openwin is gone on 9 .. if thats true are they including it on the bonus sw disks? What, if any, issues have people had in relation to using gnome with their older applications that ran under CDE or openwin? If I could get some migration issues that people have had and resoultions/things to ...

Solaris 9 : Solaris Volume Manager
Hi I have a diskset that no longer has the underlying disks associated to it. The diskset shows up in metaset. How can I delete the diskset. Since the underlying disks are no longer available I cannot take ownership of the diskset to perform administrative operations. How does metaset know that the diskset exists as the underlying state database for the set doesn't exist. What configuration file contains the set information. Best Wishes Nick nick@nickhavardxyz.com P.S. Remove xyz to reply ...

Solaris 9 or Solaris 10 for newbie?
Soon I'll be receiving my first Sun workstation (W2100z) with Solaris 9 and Java Desktop 2 preinstalled. As a user fairly new to Solaris - I've been using Linux as main OS since last August, Windows for years prior to that - would I be best off utilizing the preinstalled Solaris 9 or installing Solaris 10? I've been leaning towards Solaris 10 and just wanted some 'professional' inputs on the idea. My primary goal is learning Solaris and I won't mind reinstalling Solaris 10 later in the year when all the other features are fully integrated [ZFS, Janus, etc.]. I'v...

Solaris 9 Install
Just installed Solaris 9. Have some observations and some questions. 1. The disk slice sizes recommended by webstart install are ridiculously small 2. I set the disk slice sizes pretty well BUT ... o I didn't realize Solaris only allows 8 slices o So I now have 2GB unusable space *before* the root partition thinking I'd add a slice later + No practical way to make that usable I guess? 3. Languages aren't installed automatically. o My Sun Blade came with a buncha languages installed. o The Sol 9 box set only came with a few languag...

Web resources about - I can not find Tcl/expect after install Solaris 9 - comp.unix.solaris

Can Facebook Advertisers Test Mobile App Install Ads On Their Devices?
Some Facebook advertisers are now able to preview their mobile application install ads directly on their mobile devices, complete with active ...

New Features to Mobile App Install Ads
Today we are happy to announce some updates to mobile app install ads to improve the experience people and developers have when viewing and creating ...

Facebook tries new designs for mobile page-Like and app install ads
Facebook began testing new designs for its mobile app install ads and page post ads this weekend. Following an update for Facebook for iOS, ...

Study: Pre-Roll Ads Dramatically Increasing Ad Block Installs
... study and surveyed 9,000 people. Active users of ad blockers, including mobile, and those who are aware of ad blockers but have not yet installed ...

Google: Cardboard Apps Surpass 25 Million Installs on Google Play
... 2015. According to Google, there are more than 1,000 Cardboard-supported apps on Google Play, with the No. 1 Cardboard app (based on installs, ...

How to install Android on a PC
Android is the most popular mobile operating system in the world, but that does not mean it can’t be installed on the desktop. There are many ...

NowGaming on Apple TV: Which games should I install first?
... and help you narrow down the choices even further by giving you my take on the titles. This week, Ill be looking at the First Games to Install ...

Wattway will install 600 miles of solar roads in France
Filed under: Green , Plants/Manufacturing , Europe , Solar France's Colas says each kilometer along the "Wattway" can power 5,000 homes.