lastlog in /var/adm

Hi,

There is this file in /var/adm/lastlog. I would like to know how to
read it, any pointer is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
0
Dolphin

On Jun 3, 10:43 am, Dolphin <yc282...@yahoo.com.sg> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> There is this file in /var/adm/lastlog. I would like to know how to
> read it, any pointer is appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance.

I think your better off using the 'last' command as it displays data
in a more readable format. Examples include:

# man last
# last
# last shutdown
# last login
# last root
# last reboot
0
webigh86
6/3/2008 3:14:39 AM
In article <50b5bde7-73e2-4d39-9913-17bf90cf9769@w4g2000prd.googlegroups.com>,
	webigh86@gmail.com writes:
> On Jun 3, 10:43 am, Dolphin <yc282...@yahoo.com.sg> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> There is this file in /var/adm/lastlog. I would like to know how to
>> read it, any pointer is appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>
> I think your better off using the 'last' command as it displays data
> in a more readable format. Examples include:

last(1) doesn't display /var/adm/lastlog at all.
The only command which does is finger(1).
Other than that, it's used by login, sshd, pam modules, and the like.

The file is a (sparse) array of struct lastlog (/usr/include/lastlog.h)
indexed by uid. Hence it can appear very big if you have large uids, but
it should be a sparse file (unless copied by anything which doesn't
preserve sparse files).

--
Andrew Gabriel
andrew