I work on Cox Communications' internal hiring team at our headquarters
in Atlanta (Fortune 500 company, 6.3 million subscribers nationwide).
I have a couple positions here in Atlanta that require Solaris
expertise and just wanted to see if any members of this group might be
interested or know someone that may be. Please forgive me if this is
not an appropriate use of the board--I read through the Style Guide
and it appears that this is appropriate. Please feel free to reach me
directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The first position, System Administrator Web Services, requires a UNIX
administrator to install, maintain, and monitor multiple servers and
apps that run on those servers. We need someone with strong Solaris
2.6/7/8 and Veritas Volume Mgr, File System, and Cluster experience.
I have a job description that is too long to include here.
I've pasted the second job description below. Thanks very much for
Lead Systems Technician
1. Monitor Internet services and equipment for exception conditions
and perform trend analysis.
2. Track simplex and outage conditions in equipment and services to
ensure timely resolution.
3. Instruct shift teams on problem resolution.
4. Track trouble tickets and follow up on all service affecting
5. Respond to Trouble Tickets issued by other departments for SDC
6. Notify/follow up with Systems Administrators and management on
7. Document service incidents/conditions in appropriate tracking
8. Provide leadership to shift teams.
9. Provide training and mentoring to shift teams.
10. Provide performance feedback to management regarding team members
and the overall team operations.
11. Fill in for Data Operations Center manager as necessary and be on
call on a rotating basis.
12. Gather and prepare trouble ticket data for SPC charting on a
weekly basis in preparation for monthly operations review
.. 2+ years experience in a NOC or help desk environment.
2. Certified with SUN Solaris systems administration.
3. In depth knowledge of common internet service protocols: DNS, Pop
3, IMAP, SMTP, HTTP, NNTP, LDAP, DHCP, VoIP etc.
4. In depth knowledge of IP networks.
5. Hands on knowledge of trouble ticketing systems such as Remedy.
6. Demonstrated knowledge of Web based applications.
7. Hands on knowledge of Windows based operating systems, Unix
Operating systems and applications.
8. Familiarity with Six Sigma concepts and SPC Greenbelt
9. Degree in Engineering, Computer science or equivalent experience.
2+ years leadership experience over a technical team.
11. Strong oral and written communications skills.
12. An in depth understanding of Internet technology standards and
specifications related to high speed internet services.
13. Experience with network monitoring and management tool such as
Netcool is required.
14. Hands on technical experience working with/maintaining one of the
above type systems is necessary.
15. Must be able to direct and instruct systems technicians personnel
through technical resolution of problems.