Logging who has logged in

Is there a simple way of keeping a log in Solaris 10 update 1 of who has
logged in, and at what time? I'm not wishing to record what they do,
although their IP address would be useful if that is possible.

--
Dave K     MCSE.

Dave

HI,

Dave (from the UK) wrote:
> Is there a simple way of keeping a log in Solaris 10 update 1 of who has
> logged in, and at what time? I'm not wishing to record what they do,
> although their IP address would be useful if that is possible.

last maybe!

/michael
0
Michael
3/11/2006 8:13:29 PM
Michael Laajanen wrote:
> HI,
>
> Dave (from the UK) wrote:
>
>> Is there a simple way of keeping a log in Solaris 10 update 1 of who
>> has logged in, and at what time? I'm not wishing to record what they
>> do, although their IP address would be useful if that is possible.
>>

> last maybe!
>

> /michael

Cheers - just what I was looking for.

How can I have used UNIX for about 20 years without finding that one
command? (No, don't answer that one!)

--
Dave K     MCSE.

Dave
3/11/2006 8:41:27 PM
Michael Laajanen <michael_laajanen@yahoo.com> wrote:
> HI,
>
> Dave (from the UK) wrote:
>> Is there a simple way of keeping a log in Solaris 10 update 1 of who has
>> logged in, and at what time? I'm not wishing to record what they do,
>> although their IP address would be useful if that is possible.
>>

> last maybe!
>

> /michael

 man wtmpx

--
Geoff Lane, Airstrip One

DANGER! DANGER! Computer Store Ahead, Hide Wallet.
0
Geoff
3/11/2006 8:53:59 PM
Dave (from the UK) wrote:
> How can I have used UNIX for about 20 years without finding that one
> command? (No, don't answer that one!)

My favorite command that nobody ever uses and that took forever for me
to become aware of is "look".

   - Logan
0
Logan
3/11/2006 11:27:24 PM
HI,

Dave (from the UK) wrote:
> Michael Laajanen wrote:
>
>> HI,
>>
>> Dave (from the UK) wrote:
>>
>>> Is there a simple way of keeping a log in Solaris 10 update 1 of who
>>> has logged in, and at what time? I'm not wishing to record what they
>>> do, although their IP address would be useful if that is possible.
>>>

>> last maybe!
>>

>> /michael
>

> Cheers - just what I was looking for.
>
> How can I have used UNIX for about 20 years without finding that one
> command? (No, don't answer that one!)

That was probably the last command you would have though of ;)

cheers

michael

0
Michael
3/12/2006 8:32:48 AM
Logan Shaw <lshaw-usenet@austin.rr.com> wrote:
> Dave (from the UK) wrote:
>> How can I have used UNIX for about 20 years without finding that one
>> command? (No, don't answer that one!)
>
> My favorite command that nobody ever uses and that took forever for me
> to become aware of is "look".

OK, that's one I had never come across. Cool!

0
Colin
3/14/2006 5:43:13 PM
In article <w1JQf.11260$733.6751@tornado.texas.rr.com>,
Logan Shaw  <lshaw-usenet@austin.rr.com> wrote:
>Dave (from the UK) wrote:
>> How can I have used UNIX for about 20 years without finding that one
>> command? (No, don't answer that one!)
>
>My favorite command that nobody ever uses and that took forever for me
>to become aware of is "look".

The useful command which I somehow overlooked for 4-5 years after becoming
a Solaris _administrator_ was "paste".

--
Chris Thompson
Email: cet1 [at] cam.ac.uk
Geoff Lane  <zzassgl@buffy.sighup.org.uk> wrote:
>Michael Laajanen <michael_laajanen@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> HI,
>>
>> Dave (from the UK) wrote:
>>> Is there a simple way of keeping a log in Solaris 10 update 1 of who has
>>> logged in, and at what time? I'm not wishing to record what they do,
>>> although their IP address would be useful if that is possible.
>>>

>> last maybe!
>>

>> /michael
>
> man wtmpx
>
>--
>Geoff Lane, Airstrip One
>
>DANGER! DANGER! Computer Store Ahead, Hide Wallet.

Yes, but wtmpx.man says nothing about "last":

     The utmpx  database  contains  user  access  and  accounting
     information  for  commands  such  as  who(1),  write(1), and
     login(1). The wtmpx database contains the  history  of  user
     access and accounting information for the  utmpx database.

Maybe it should?

David

0
dkcombs