md5 checksum for > 2 GB

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

I know there are versions of md5 on Solaris which work with files >2 GB
- but many binaries and would do not.

Does anyone know the location of a source or binary (SPARC, Solaris 10)
for an md5 checksum program which will work for large files?

I downloaded one binary but that will not open a large file. I
downloaded another's source and that would not work either. I compiled
some source  as 64-bit, and while that opens a large file, it gives the
wrong checksum.

I know there are versions around which work OK, but I'd rather just find
one, than waste time adding largefile support to an earlier one.

I'd rather just get one source or binary than have to install tons of
programs I don't know, as may be necessary if I download the GNU
coreutils or similar.
0
Reply Dave 11/15/2007 11:57:02 AM

See related articles to this posting

Dave wrote:
> I know there are versions of md5 on Solaris which work with files >2 GB
> - but many binaries and would do not.
>
> Does anyone know the location of a source or binary (SPARC, Solaris 10)
> for an md5 checksum program which will work for large files?
>
> I downloaded one binary but that will not open a large file. I
> downloaded another's source and that would not work either. I compiled
> some source  as 64-bit, and while that opens a large file, it gives the
> wrong checksum.
>
> I know there are versions around which work OK, but I'd rather just find
> one, than waste time adding largefile support to an earlier one.
>
> I'd rather just get one source or binary than have to install tons of
> programs I don't know, as may be necessary if I download the GNU
> coreutils or similar.
Hi Dave,
I use digest for my Solaris DVD downloads:-
digest -v -a md5 file.iso

Cheers
Richard.
0
Reply Richard 11/15/2007 12:58:46 PM

Dave wrote:
> I know there are versions of md5 on Solaris which work with files >2 GB
> - but many binaries and would do not.

You can usually work around this with "md5 < filename".

mp.
--
Systems Administrator | Institute of Scientific Computing | Univ. of Vienna
                       | http://www.par.univie.ac.at/solaris/pca/
Patch Check Advanced  | Analyze, download and install patches for Sun
Solaris
0
Reply Martin 11/15/2007 1:10:20 PM

On Nov 15, 11:57 am, Dave <nowh...@nowhere.com> wrote:
> I know there are versions of md5 on Solaris which work with files >2 GB
> - but many binaries and would do not.

The md5sum which ships on the companion seems to work, and openssl md5
also is OK if you cat stdin to it.  (Well, I say this in the sense
that either gives an error and both produce the same sum for a 3G
file: that sum could be wrong in both cases...)
0
Reply Tim 11/15/2007 1:29:16 PM

> Hi Dave,
> I use digest for my Solaris DVD downloads:-
> digest -v -a md5 file.iso
>
> Cheers
> Richard.

Thank you, that worked.

I had not installed the companion DVD, as I know often the package on
there are quite out of date. But digest was on the machine anyway and
worked well.

I did have a md5 program which worked. In fact, it might be on another
machine and I can copy it over.

Well, I now have a usable DVD iso (verified with the MD5) for Solaris
x86, which I'm seriously thinking of putting on my laptop, as an upgrade
from Vista Ultimate.

0
Reply Dave 11/15/2007 2:05:08 PM

On Nov 15, 6:05 am, Dave <nowh...@nowhere.com> wrote:
> > Hi Dave,
> > I use digest for my Solaris DVD downloads:-
> > digest -v -a md5 file.iso
>
> Thank you, that worked.
> I had not installed the companion DVD, as I know often the package on
> there are quite out of date. But digest was on the machine anyway and
> worked well.
> I did have a md5 program which worked. In fact, it might be on another
> machine and I can copy it over.
> Well, I now have a usable DVD iso (verified with the MD5) for Solaris
> x86, which I'm seriously thinking of putting on my laptop, as an upgrade
> from Vista Ultimate.

ANYTHING would be an upgrade from Vista unless its Win95 maybe... : /
Re: your post of the other day if the URL at Sun is still unavailable
you could
try Nevada b70b which is available
As for md5 I used openssl dgst -md5 on the 3.3 GB b70b image with no
problems
0
Reply gerryt 11/15/2007 3:44:26 PM

Dave <nowhere@nowhere.com> writes:

>I know there are versions of md5 on Solaris which work with files >2 GB
>- but many binaries and would do not.

>Does anyone know the location of a source or binary (SPARC, Solaris 10)
>for an md5 checksum program which will work for large files?

The following Solaris 10 program should do this just fine:

	digest -a md5

Casper
--
Expressed in this posting are my opinions.  They are in no way related
be fiction rather than truth.

In <473ce32c$0$226$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl> Casper H.S. Dik <Casper.Dik@Sun.COM> writes:

>Dave <nowhere@nowhere.com> writes:

>>I know there are versions of md5 on Solaris which work with files >2 GB
>>- but many binaries and would do not.

>>Does anyone know the location of a source or binary (SPARC, Solaris 10)
>>for an md5 checksum program which will work for large files?

>The following Solaris 10 program should do this just fine:

>	digest -a md5

I suppose we need a wrapper script called `md5'.  Otherwise, people
think it isn't there, and keep installing another one.

Reply Gary 11/16/2007 12:47:43 AM

On 16 Nov 2007 00:24:12 GMT, Casper H.S. Dik <Casper.Dik@Sun.COM> wrote:
> Dave <nowhere@nowhere.com> writes:
>> I know there are versions of md5 on Solaris which work with files >2
>> GB - but many binaries and would do not.
>>
>> Does anyone know the location of a source or binary (SPARC, Solaris
>> 10) for an md5 checksum program which will work for large files?
>
> The following Solaris 10 program should do this just fine:
>
> 	digest -a md5

I commonly use openssl(1) from /usr/sfw/bin for this:

    openssl dgst -md5 file [file ...]

It seems to work with large files too, but now I know about digest too.

Thanks :)

0
Reply Giorgos 11/16/2007 2:15:23 AM
comp.unix.solaris 25704 articles. 86 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

md5 checksum for > 2 GB
I know there are versions of md5 on Solaris which work with files >2 GB - but many binaries and would do not. Does anyone know the location of a source or binary (SPARC, Solaris 10) for an md5 checksum program which will work for large files? I downloaded one binary but that will not open a large file. I downloaded another's source and that would not work either. I compiled some source as 64-bit, and while that opens a large file, it gives the wrong checksum. I know there are versions around which work OK, but I'd rather just find one, than waste time adding largefile supp...

DIGEST-MD5 and CRAM-MD5 Failed on Fedorra 2, sendmail 8.12.11-4.6, cyrus-sasl 2.1.18-2
Hello, I just installed Fedora Core 2 on a X86 1.6 GHz machine. I tried to use authentication on Sendmail 8.12.11-4.6 and cyrus-sasl 2.1.18-2. I setup but could not make it to work with DIGEST-MD5 and CRAM-MD5 authentication types. It does work with LOGIN and PLAIN. These are what I did: read http://www.sendmail.org/~ca/email/auth.html#AUTH document. I changed the /etc/mail/sendmail.mc file as follow: define(`confAUTH_OPTIONS', `A')dnl TRUST_AUTH_MECH(`EXTERNAL DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5 LOGIN PLAIN')dnl define(`confAUTH_MECHANISMS', `EXTERNAL GSSAPI DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5 LOGIN PLAIN...

Cisco 10/100 switch with 2 GB fiber and 2 GB copper
Hi friends, I just wanted to know if there is any Cisco 10/100 switch that can offer upto four gigabit ports (2 of them being copper and the other 2 being fiber). I dont want a 2970 as it is completely gigabit. Thanks a lot Regards Gautam How about the Cisco Catalyst Express 500G-12TC Switch. It has Eight 10/100/1000BASE-T and four 10/100/1000BASE-T or SFP ports for switch aggregation or server connectivity. Dont know how many ports you need in total? Colin Hi Colin, Thanks a lot for your input. I will need a 24-port switch + 2 Gigabit Copper + 2 Gigabit Fiber Thanks and Regards...

2 GB limit #2
Does anyone know if release 3.0 will solve the problem of 2 GB single file dimension limit ? Thanks all LeoPondolo LeoPondolo wrote: > Does anyone know if release 3.0 will solve the problem of 2 GB single file > dimension limit ? Samba hasn't been limited to 2GB files for a long time. I'd check the system you're running on if I was you. Jeremy. ...

AMD 3800+ X2 <> 2 GB DDR400 <> 2 X 160 GB SATA 3.0 GB/s NCQ <> GeF 6800GT PCIe X16 512 MB <> SONY DVD DL RW
... and more. See this Windows XP midtower, burned in, with all new parts, exchangable, for 1699.00 at: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8728194314&indexURL=0 Starting price now 1599.00: > See this Windows XP midtower, burned in, with all new parts, exchangable, > for 1699.00 at: > > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8728194314&indexURL=0 > > > > ...

Have a new 18.2 GB Sun hard drive, would like to keep the current 4.2 GB drive in there...
Greetings! I have just recently received a new Sun hard drive (with a SPUD for fitting inside my Sun Ultra 30 computer). I have a few concerns, and I do not know enough about hardware to answer with certainty, so if anyone here has any tips or suggestions, I would greatly appreciate your input! It's a Fujitsu Model MAJ3182MC Ultra 160 SCSI/SCA2/LVD drive. The drive in the Ultra 30 is a 4.2 GB (the new one is a 18.2 GB) drive. It still works. Here is what I'd like to do. I'd like to put this disk in, along with the existing one, and it appears that two dri...

Sale: MacBook, black, 2,2 Ghz, 160 GB HDD, 1 GB RAM, Rev. Nov. 2007
Hello, I have got to sell one new, original packaged MacBook with the following specs: Processor: 2,2 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo RAM: 1 GB (two SO-DIMMs), up to 4 GB Hard Disk: 160 GB Serial ATA, 5.400 U/Min. Graphic: Intel GMA X3100 Color: black ....the other specs as seen on apple.com The MacBook is based on the new Santa Rosa Chipset with Intel X3100 Graphic. Price: 1350 Euro I'll ship it to Germany (10 Euros) or Europe (20 or more Euros) via DHL. My contact: info@ckater.de Cornelis Kater ...

2 GB memory limit #2
Hi all, i read that Linux enables a process to use 3 GB of user space memory. But on my (redhat 8.0, 2.4.18-14bigmem) box it seems impossible to use more than 2 GB. Have I forgot anything to set up my system to use the full 3 GB? Any help appreciated Helge PS demo program: #include <iostream> using namespace std; int main () { int ** dummy = new int * [8]; // this loop should run min. 5, maybe 6 times, but it doesn't: for (int i = 0; i < 8; i++) { cout << i+1 << "*512 MB "; dummy[i...

Lenovo 3000 N500 4233 - P T3400 / 2.16 GHz - RAM 2 GB - HDD 250 GB - DVD-Writer - GMA 4500M Dynamic Video Memory Technology 5.0 - WLAN : 802.11b/g - Vista Business / XP Pro downgrade
Price:$599.00 Image: http:///image.php?id=B001N0OXOK Best deal: http:///index.php?id=B001N0OXOK The Lenovo 3000 N500 notebook is designed specifically for the small business customer who demands great value and expects features to fit their specific needs. It combines performance, design and multimedia tools for an enhanced user experience.If your end users have the need for a notebook that supports double duty usage with enhanced multimedia and connectivity options for on-the-go flexibility and the latest technologies, the Lenovo 3000 N500 notebook is a stylish widescreen notebook comb...

RH 7.2 and 2 GB RAM?
Hello Linux Gurus, Sorry if my post is inappropriate for these groups. If there are more appropriate ones, feel free to flame me in the right direction. Just some general questions: I'm running a Dell 8100 1.5 GHz Pentium RH 7.2 and 2 GB RAM. Can one just upgrade using the "stock" RH kernel update RPM's for 2 GB RAM? If not... What kind of problems might I encounter? Would it be necessary to rebuild the kernel to support 2 GB RAM? Can one apply the kernel-bigmem updates instead of a kernel rebuild? Many thanks and my first-born :-) to all in a...