md5 checksum for > 2 GB

I know there are versions of md5 on Solaris which work with files >2 GB
- but many binaries and would do not.

Does anyone know the location of a source or binary (SPARC, Solaris 10)
for an md5 checksum program which will work for large files?

I downloaded one binary but that will not open a large file. I
downloaded another's source and that would not work either. I compiled
some source  as 64-bit, and while that opens a large file, it gives the
wrong checksum.

I know there are versions around which work OK, but I'd rather just find
one, than waste time adding largefile support to an earlier one.

I'd rather just get one source or binary than have to install tons of
programs I don't know, as may be necessary if I download the GNU
coreutils or similar.
0
Dave

Dave wrote:
> I know there are versions of md5 on Solaris which work with files >2 GB
> - but many binaries and would do not.
>
> Does anyone know the location of a source or binary (SPARC, Solaris 10)
> for an md5 checksum program which will work for large files?
>
> I downloaded one binary but that will not open a large file. I
> downloaded another's source and that would not work either. I compiled
> some source  as 64-bit, and while that opens a large file, it gives the
> wrong checksum.
>
> I know there are versions around which work OK, but I'd rather just find
> one, than waste time adding largefile support to an earlier one.
>
> I'd rather just get one source or binary than have to install tons of
> programs I don't know, as may be necessary if I download the GNU
> coreutils or similar.
Hi Dave,
I use digest for my Solaris DVD downloads:-
digest -v -a md5 file.iso

Cheers
Richard.
0
Richard
11/15/2007 12:58:46 PM
Dave wrote:
> I know there are versions of md5 on Solaris which work with files >2 GB
> - but many binaries and would do not.

You can usually work around this with "md5 < filename".

mp.
--
Systems Administrator | Institute of Scientific Computing | Univ. of Vienna
                       | http://www.par.univie.ac.at/solaris/pca/
Patch Check Advanced  | Analyze, download and install patches for Sun
Solaris
0
Martin
11/15/2007 1:10:20 PM
On Nov 15, 11:57 am, Dave <nowh...@nowhere.com> wrote:
> I know there are versions of md5 on Solaris which work with files >2 GB
> - but many binaries and would do not.

The md5sum which ships on the companion seems to work, and openssl md5
also is OK if you cat stdin to it.  (Well, I say this in the sense
that either gives an error and both produce the same sum for a 3G
file: that sum could be wrong in both cases...)
0
Tim
11/15/2007 1:29:16 PM
> Hi Dave,
> I use digest for my Solaris DVD downloads:-
> digest -v -a md5 file.iso
>
> Cheers
> Richard.

Thank you, that worked.

I had not installed the companion DVD, as I know often the package on
there are quite out of date. But digest was on the machine anyway and
worked well.

I did have a md5 program which worked. In fact, it might be on another
machine and I can copy it over.

Well, I now have a usable DVD iso (verified with the MD5) for Solaris
x86, which I'm seriously thinking of putting on my laptop, as an upgrade
from Vista Ultimate.

0
Dave
11/15/2007 2:05:08 PM
On Nov 15, 6:05 am, Dave <nowh...@nowhere.com> wrote:
> > Hi Dave,
> > I use digest for my Solaris DVD downloads:-
> > digest -v -a md5 file.iso
>
> Thank you, that worked.
> I had not installed the companion DVD, as I know often the package on
> there are quite out of date. But digest was on the machine anyway and
> worked well.
> I did have a md5 program which worked. In fact, it might be on another
> machine and I can copy it over.
> Well, I now have a usable DVD iso (verified with the MD5) for Solaris
> x86, which I'm seriously thinking of putting on my laptop, as an upgrade
> from Vista Ultimate.

ANYTHING would be an upgrade from Vista unless its Win95 maybe... : /
Re: your post of the other day if the URL at Sun is still unavailable
you could
try Nevada b70b which is available
As for md5 I used openssl dgst -md5 on the 3.3 GB b70b image with no
problems
0
gerryt
11/15/2007 3:44:26 PM
Dave <nowhere@nowhere.com> writes:

>I know there are versions of md5 on Solaris which work with files >2 GB
>- but many binaries and would do not.

>Does anyone know the location of a source or binary (SPARC, Solaris 10)
>for an md5 checksum program which will work for large files?

The following Solaris 10 program should do this just fine:

	digest -a md5

Casper
--
Expressed in this posting are my opinions.  They are in no way related
be fiction rather than truth.
In <473ce32c$0$226$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl> Casper H.S. Dik <Casper.Dik@Sun.COM> writes:

>Dave <nowhere@nowhere.com> writes:

>>I know there are versions of md5 on Solaris which work with files >2 GB
>>- but many binaries and would do not.

>>Does anyone know the location of a source or binary (SPARC, Solaris 10)
>>for an md5 checksum program which will work for large files?

>The following Solaris 10 program should do this just fine:

>	digest -a md5

I suppose we need a wrapper script called `md5'.  Otherwise, people
think it isn't there, and keep installing another one.

Gary
11/16/2007 12:47:43 AM
On 16 Nov 2007 00:24:12 GMT, Casper H.S. Dik <Casper.Dik@Sun.COM> wrote:
> Dave <nowhere@nowhere.com> writes:
>> I know there are versions of md5 on Solaris which work with files >2
>> GB - but many binaries and would do not.
>>
>> Does anyone know the location of a source or binary (SPARC, Solaris
>> 10) for an md5 checksum program which will work for large files?
>
> The following Solaris 10 program should do this just fine:
>
> 	digest -a md5

I commonly use openssl(1) from /usr/sfw/bin for this:

    openssl dgst -md5 file [file ...]

It seems to work with large files too, but now I know about digest too.

Thanks :)

0
Giorgos