mount -o remount of NFS doesn't preserve any mount options?

We're mounting a NAS filesystem via NFS to a SPARC Solaris 10 server, and
had to remount on the fly due to a parameter change on the NAS device.
The mount -o remount command neither preserved the existing mount
options, nor read them from /etc/vfstab (they're the same).  AFAIK it
took all defaults, which caused some errors.  I have resolved the issue
by executing another remount and explicitly specifying all the mount
options needed, but this behavior doesn't make sense to me.  Is this
normal behavior?  I have researched the docs and the Web and don't see
anything that discusses this.

F. Michael Orr wrote:
> We're mounting a NAS filesystem via NFS to a SPARC Solaris 10 server, and
> had to remount on the fly due to a parameter change on the NAS device.
> The mount -o remount command neither preserved the existing mount
> options, nor read them from /etc/vfstab (they're the same).  AFAIK it
> took all defaults, which caused some errors.  I have resolved the issue
> by executing another remount and explicitly specifying all the mount
> options needed, but this behavior doesn't make sense to me.  Is this
> normal behavior?  I have researched the docs and the Web and don't see
> anything that discusses this.

At least this behavior of mount_nfs is consistent with
mount_ufs - it reads /etc/vfstab but then uses its defaults.

Unchanged behavior since Solaris 2.6 (or even before),
so in this sense it is "normal".

--
Michael Tosch @ hp : com
0