My server keeps shutting itself off

My newly installed V480 (SunOS 5.9) keeps shutting itself off at random
intervals.  The syslog shows it's being shut off by 'sys-suspend.'  I have
tried everything to keep it from this annoying habit, but nothing seems
to work.

It seems to think it's idle, even when dozens of users are connecting
remotely.  My /etc/power.conf looks like this:

# Statefile     Path
statefile               //.CPR

# Auto-Shutdown Idle(min)       Start/Finish(hh:mm)     Behavior
autoshutdown    30              9:00 9:00       noshutdown

device-dependency-property removable-media /dev/fb
autopm          disable

system-threshold                always-on

It seems pretty clear to me that it should never shut off, but apparently
not to the power daemon.  I even chmod'ed sys-suspend to remove the
executable flag, but all that does is cause a syslog error that sys-suspend
couldn't start, followed by a shutdown.

How do I convince my server that it's not a workstation?  Failing that, would
it be safe to simply disable the powerd daemon?

0
nospam

On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 18:02:33 GMT, nospam@hanmail.net (No Such User)
wrote:

>My newly installed V480 (SunOS 5.9) keeps shutting itself off at random
>intervals.  The syslog shows it's being shut off by 'sys-suspend.'  I have
>tried everything to keep it from this annoying habit, but nothing seems
>to work.
>
>It seems to think it's idle, even when dozens of users are connecting
>remotely.  My /etc/power.conf looks like this:
>
># Statefile     Path
>statefile               //.CPR
>

># Auto-Shutdown Idle(min)       Start/Finish(hh:mm)     Behavior
>autoshutdown    30              9:00 9:00       noshutdown
>
>device-dependency-property removable-media /dev/fb
>autopm          disable
>
>system-threshold                always-on
>
>It seems pretty clear to me that it should never shut off, but apparently
>not to the power daemon.  I even chmod'ed sys-suspend to remove the
>executable flag, but all that does is cause a syslog error that sys-suspend
>couldn't start, followed by a shutdown.
>
>How do I convince my server that it's not a workstation?  Failing that, would
>it be safe to simply disable the powerd daemon?

You can either touch /etc/noautoshutdown or remove Power Management
entirely by removing the appropriate packages.

Robert Escue
System Administrator
0
Robert
9/12/2004 7:21:18 PM
Robert Escue wrote:
> You can either touch /etc/noautoshutdown or remove Power Management
> entirely by removing the appropriate packages.

Robert, I am confoozed. Not being a PM expert, I cannot find any
reference to /etc/noautoshutdown in any manpage, rc script, nor the
/usr/lib/power/powerd binary. Could you please let me know what consults
this file?

TIA,

Beardy.

0
Beardy
9/13/2004 9:43:24 AM
On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 09:43:24 +0000, Beardy <beardy@beardy.net> wrote:

>Robert Escue wrote:
>> You can either touch /etc/noautoshutdown or remove Power Management
>> entirely by removing the appropriate packages.
>>

>Robert, I am confoozed. Not being a PM expert, I cannot find any
>reference to /etc/noautoshutdown in any manpage, rc script, nor the
>/usr/lib/power/powerd binary. Could you please let me know what consults
>this file?
>
>TIA,
>

>Beardy.

Beardy,

I cannot remember the specific reference, but here are a few links:

http://www.netsys.com/sunmgr/2001-08/msg00748.html

http://docs.sun.com/db/doc/817-3945/6mjgluk7t?a=view

http://docs.sun.com/db/doc/817-3937/6mjgeag6h?q=noautoshutdown&a=view

I always remove Power Management just to avoid the auto shutdown
issues.
0
Robert
9/13/2004 10:19:46 AM
No Such User <nospam@hanmail.net> wrote:
> It seems pretty clear to me that it should never shut off, but apparently
> not to the power daemon.

You did run pmconfig after modifying power.conf, right ?

> How do I convince my server that it's not a workstation?  Failing that, would
> it be safe to simply disable the powerd daemon?

You can stop powerd immediately by running "/etc/init.d/power stop".
Make sure the powerd process isn't running anymore after that. To
keep powerd from being started at boot time, just remove or rename
/etc/power.conf.

mp.
--
Systems Administrator | Institute for Software Science | Univ. of Vienna
0