My server keeps shutting itself off

My newly installed V480 (SunOS 5.9) keeps shutting itself off at random
intervals.  The syslog shows it's being shut off by 'sys-suspend.'  I have
tried everything to keep it from this annoying habit, but nothing seems
to work.

It seems to think it's idle, even when dozens of users are connecting
remotely.  My /etc/power.conf looks like this:

# Statefile     Path
statefile               //.CPR

# Auto-Shutdown Idle(min)       Start/Finish(hh:mm)     Behavior
autoshutdown    30              9:00 9:00       noshutdown

device-dependency-property removable-media /dev/fb
autopm          disable

system-threshold                always-on

It seems pretty clear to me that it should never shut off, but apparently
not to the power daemon.  I even chmod'ed sys-suspend to remove the
executable flag, but all that does is cause a syslog error that sys-suspend
couldn't start, followed by a shutdown.

How do I convince my server that it's not a workstation?  Failing that, would
it be safe to simply disable the powerd daemon?

0
nospam

On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 18:02:33 GMT, nospam@hanmail.net (No Such User)
wrote:

>My newly installed V480 (SunOS 5.9) keeps shutting itself off at random
>intervals.  The syslog shows it's being shut off by 'sys-suspend.'  I have
>tried everything to keep it from this annoying habit, but nothing seems
>to work.
>
>It seems to think it's idle, even when dozens of users are connecting
>remotely.  My /etc/power.conf looks like this:
>
># Statefile     Path
>statefile               //.CPR
>

># Auto-Shutdown Idle(min)       Start/Finish(hh:mm)     Behavior
>autoshutdown    30              9:00 9:00       noshutdown
>
>device-dependency-property removable-media /dev/fb
>autopm          disable
>
>system-threshold                always-on
>
>It seems pretty clear to me that it should never shut off, but apparently
>not to the power daemon.  I even chmod'ed sys-suspend to remove the
>executable flag, but all that does is cause a syslog error that sys-suspend
>couldn't start, followed by a shutdown.
>
>How do I convince my server that it's not a workstation?  Failing that, would
>it be safe to simply disable the powerd daemon?

You can either touch /etc/noautoshutdown or remove Power Management
entirely by removing the appropriate packages.

Robert Escue
System Administrator
0
Robert
9/12/2004 7:21:18 PM
Robert Escue wrote:
> You can either touch /etc/noautoshutdown or remove Power Management
> entirely by removing the appropriate packages.

Robert, I am confoozed. Not being a PM expert, I cannot find any
reference to /etc/noautoshutdown in any manpage, rc script, nor the
/usr/lib/power/powerd binary. Could you please let me know what consults
this file?

TIA,

Beardy.

0
Beardy
9/13/2004 9:43:24 AM
On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 09:43:24 +0000, Beardy <beardy@beardy.net> wrote:

>Robert Escue wrote:
>> You can either touch /etc/noautoshutdown or remove Power Management
>> entirely by removing the appropriate packages.
>>

>Robert, I am confoozed. Not being a PM expert, I cannot find any
>reference to /etc/noautoshutdown in any manpage, rc script, nor the
>/usr/lib/power/powerd binary. Could you please let me know what consults
>this file?
>
>TIA,
>

>Beardy.

Beardy,

I cannot remember the specific reference, but here are a few links:

http://www.netsys.com/sunmgr/2001-08/msg00748.html

http://docs.sun.com/db/doc/817-3945/6mjgluk7t?a=view

http://docs.sun.com/db/doc/817-3937/6mjgeag6h?q=noautoshutdown&a=view

I always remove Power Management just to avoid the auto shutdown
issues.
0
Robert
9/13/2004 10:19:46 AM
No Such User <nospam@hanmail.net> wrote:
> It seems pretty clear to me that it should never shut off, but apparently
> not to the power daemon.

You did run pmconfig after modifying power.conf, right ?

> How do I convince my server that it's not a workstation?  Failing that, would
> it be safe to simply disable the powerd daemon?

You can stop powerd immediately by running "/etc/init.d/power stop".
Make sure the powerd process isn't running anymore after that. To
keep powerd from being started at boot time, just remove or rename
/etc/power.conf.

mp.
--
Systems Administrator | Institute for Software Science | Univ. of Vienna
0

Panther Server
Is it possible to: 1. Get RB to get a list of users from our OS 10.3 Server (uses LDAP) 2. Get RB to authenticate users with that Server Hope this makes sense Shaun Miller <kainoa@hotmail.com> wrote: > Is it possible to: > 1. Get RB to get a list of users from our OS 10.3 Server (uses LDAP) > 2. Get RB to authenticate users with that Server > > Hope this makes sense Sure, but you may need to learn the LDAP protocoll and write your own code to handle it. Mfg Christian -- Seven thousand functions in one REALbasic plug-in. The MBS Plugin. <...

US-NJ: Chester-SQL Server Developer
************************************************************** JobCircle.com is the largest regional job board in the Mid-Atlantic region, with tens of thousands of job offerings in PA, NJ, DE, MD, NY, and Washington D.C. To learn more, visit http://www.jobcircle.com?source=ng ************************************************************** Job Title: SQL Server Developer Job Location: NJ: Chester Pay Rate: 68K Job Length: full time Start Date: 2009-02-08 Company Name: Shain Associates Contact: John Santiago Phone: 732-248-8222 Fax: 732-248-1082 De...

US-TX-San Antonio: Programmer Analyst, MS SQL Server/ Development, OS, C#; (45360332406)
US-TX-San Antonio: Programmer Analyst, MS SQL Server/ Development, OS, C#; (45360332406) ======================================================================================== Position: Programmer Analyst Reference: ZYD00199 Location: San Antonio TX Duration: Skills: Software development in the client/server technologies. Experience in MS SQL Server. Strong SQL development, administration, and data modeling. Client/Server Architecture in Microsoft OS environments. SDLC and/or other software development met...

How to find SQL Servers & Databases in Each server using BATCH File?
Hi, I need help from you... I want to find SQL Servers which are available in Network and Databases in Each Server Using Batch file. If i run this Batch file it should find SQL Servers & Databases in each server and out put should send to txt file... Is it possible to do this using Batch file??? if possible hw can i??? Plz send me details hw to do... Thanx in Advance, Regards, Raghu Tumma... Mail to: raghutumma@gmail.com ...

Cisco DHCP server and Microsoft DNS server
Hi guys, I need to integrate a Cisco DHCP server on a 4506 Catalyst with Windows 2003 DNS server, Is it possible for the DNS entry to be updated? And whether it is recommended or not? Regards, Andy DHCP and DNS are completely independent of each other. If you give out the DNS server address of the Microsoft DNS server as a DHCP option, then that's the address the PC will send its DNS dynamic update. "Andy" <dandashi@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:1189497733.947734.241050@57g2000hsv.googlegroups.com... > Hi guys, > > I need to integrate a Cisco DHCP s...

US-TX-Austin: Sr. Lead Consultant, Client/Server Visual Basic, ASP, SQL Server; (45326632400)
US-TX-Austin: Sr. Lead Consultant, Client/Server Visual Basic, ASP, SQL Server; (45326632400) ============================================================================================= Position: Sr. Lead Consultant Reference: SMC01419 Location: Austin TX Duration: C-P Skills: Demonstrated leadership exp and the ability to assume a leadership role in a team with minimal supervision. Excellent client relationship skills including negotiation and expectation management. 5+yrs Client/Server and/or Interne...

ipmitool: proper shutdown of server ?
Yesterday, I experienced first power outage since my laptop was moved to Yosemite, meaning it loses the ability to run Server Monitor app to control my Xserve. In the past, when there is a power failure that is scneduled to last longer than my UPS autonomy with everything running (about 30 minutes), I shutdown the server, and let the router/switch/ATA/modem run for hours on the UPS. This lets me use my phone to dial the utility for status reports, laptop and phone over wi-fi to access internet (but change DNS to point to outside one when my server is down) So yesterday, I used the...

pgsql-server/src/port copydir.c
CVSROOT: /cvsroot Module name: pgsql-server Changes by: tgl@svr1.postgresql.org 03/09/10 17:12:01 Modified files: src/port : copydir.c Log message: copydir() is supposed to return on failure, not elog(ERROR). Reduce ERROR to WARNING so we keep control. ---------------------------(end of broadcast)--------------------------- TIP 9: the planner will ignore your desire to choose an index scan if your joining column's datatypes do not match ...

Problem installing v8 on windows server 2003
Help!!! I am trying to install pervasive v8 on a windows server 2003. While installing, i get the error message, that there is a conflicht with "svchost.exe"??? What can i do, what does that mean? thanks! yours, alex schueller Stop the IIS Admin service. "Alexander Schueller" <schuellexxx@uni-koblenz.de> wrote in message news:ca3s6k$rtm$1@online.de... > Help!!! > I am trying to install pervasive v8 on a windows server 2003. While installing, i get the error message, that there is a conflicht > with "svchost.exe"??? > > What can i do, wh...

RE: Announcing Availability of HP OpenVMS Migration Software for Alpha to Integrity Servers to Integrity Servers to Integrity Servers #3
> -----Original Message----- > From: DeanW [mailto:dean.woodward@gmail.com]=20 > Sent: March 25, 2005 12:13 PM > To: Info-VAX@Mvb.Saic.Com > Subject: Re: Announcing Availability of HP OpenVMS Migration=20 > Software for Alpha to Integrity Servers to Integrity Servers=20 > to Integrity Servers >=20 > On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 06:38:14 -0500, Main, Kerry=20 > <kerry.main@hp.com> wrote: > > Well, perhaps I am getting to crusty in my passing years, but what I > > tend to do now in places like this is that I would make=20 > statements like > > &qu...

Creating a long-running RMI server
I want to create a long-running RMI server, which makes an object available to remote hosts, and does nothing else. However, the server consistently exists with no exception or error after >=60 seconds. Without waiting on a dummy object or going into a sleep loop, how can I prevent my server from exiting? Here's my code: RemoteInterface.java: public interface RemoteInterface extends java.rmi.Remote { public String doRequest() throws java.rmi.RemoteException; } RMIServer.java import java.rmi.*; import java.rmi.server.*; public class RMIS...

Sun Microsystems Open-Sourcs Content Delivery Server
Sun Releases Content Delivery Server to Open Source Community ,----[ Quote ] | Sun's intention in open sourcing the technology is to expand how | Content Delivery Server is used and to make Open Content Delivery | Server a compelling offering for organizations like Universities, | news organisations with streaming content, online communities (both | large and small), major content providers, and other companies and | groups that want to deliver content. `---- http://www.sda-india.com/sda_india/ ...

US-TX-Round Rock: Test Technician, Linux or Netware, Server OS, Server HW; (45331157603)
US-TX-Round Rock: Test Technician, Linux or Netware, Server OS, Server HW; (45331157603) ======================================================================================== Position: Test Technician Reference: SMC01670 Location: Round Rock TX Duration: Skills: Linux or Netware experience Server, storage and netwrok technologies exp. Exp with installation and configuration of server OS's. RAID Basic understanding of server hardware. OS expertise. Strong troubleshooting/problem solving...

Terian Servers
I'm looking to buy a new server and Terian Solutions (http://www.terian.com/) is not too far from me in Houston. Can anybody give me a recommendation on them, that is do they build a quality product and provide good customer service? Thanks for any information. ...

Terminal server concentrator
Hi all, i've a Nortel Network Micro Annex xl for sale. Is classic annex for connect sun server via serial port. 8 serial ports 1 ethernet port 1 AUI 1 Power Supply cable included If anyone is interested can contact me at my email address. Bye ...

Chat Server/Server
I am wanting to setup a chat server on my sys for some friends. Could someone tell me how or direct me as to where to find out? Also use as ftp server.. Any help is appreciated. On 11 Jan 2004 08:04:46 -0800, bpanthertotem@bellsouth.net (Lee) wrote: >I am wanting to setup a chat server on my sys for some friends. Could >someone tell me how or direct me as to where to find out? Also use as >ftp server.. Any help is appreciated. Google is your friend, but I'll give you a hint - you may be looking for jabberd or ircd. From your question, it's hard to tell exactly...

Server 7 on Win 2000 Pro
I have FM server 5.5 running on a Windows 2000 Professional machine. The system requirements for Server 7 indicate that Windows 2000 Server or 2003 Server is required. Is this really necessary for 10 users or less? Is anyone running successfully on Windows 2000 Professional? I don't want to buy a Windows Server just to run Filemaker. I could wait for the Linux version of Server 7 if I have to. Mark <imark@RE.MOVE.tippingmar.com> wrote: > I have FM server 5.5 running on a Windows 2000 Professional machine. The > system requirements for Server 7 indicate that Windows 20...

[News] Ubuntu Already Competes with Big GNU/Linux Server Players

Reference Manager to SQL Server
Hello, Has anyone used Reference Manager 11? I would like something like it, but on an SQL Server? Has anyone done this? I need the Reference Manager Schema and the know how as to how they do their web publishing. RefMan's output is great! But we need scalability - thus the SQL Server. Any help? Thanks, Tmuld. ...

filemaker server on windows 2003 server
Hello, I just upgraded my server from a NT4 server to a windows 2003 server with new hardware (currently running 2 times Xeon 2.8, 2 GB RAM, 4 X 10K rpm 74GB in raid 5 configuration). Everything works fine (no speed problems, using 1Gbit switch) only filemaker is extremely slow. I configured filemaker server 5.5 to use 40MB (maximum). If the clients want to open a lot of files simutaniously (I'm using a lot of portals) or want to print huge lists, filemaker is extremely slowly. I checked the cpu usage and network usage, but it peaks at 0.7 %, so I don't think the cpu is the pro...

What is the deal with the server
Is it just me or were there problems today. ...

A server for SQL Server
We are considering migrating our Access backend to SQL Server or something similar. I am hearing rumors that our server will have to be a really expensive, beefed-up version. Can anyone shed some light on that? Thanks, Hank Reed No, because it's bogus. You can run SQL Server on some *very* minimal equipment, but remember that you get what you pay for. Running SQL on a under-powered machine works, but you loose time as the employees wait for it to respond. Think of it as owning a high performance car (Lamborghini, Porsche, Ferrari, etc.) as your desktop machine. It will seem like q...

bugs in client\server program
hello! I have a client/server program in which client lets user input two numbers and the server adds the numbers and returns the sum to client. the problems I am having are: 1. client is not able to connect to remote server. it is only connecting to local host. 2. if a string seperated by "non-numeric" characters (e.g. 34a2dd) is sent, both client and server throw an uncaught exception. i need to fix the client or server or both and give useful feedback to the user. i need to do the error checking of user i/p so that user enters only integers seperated by whitespace. I am attac...

MV (specifically D3) as LDAP server?
Greetings, We're a small company with a large reliance on technology. We currently have our contacts database spread over WAY too many machines. (Mail server is also ldap server, phone systems in 2 offices also are ldap servers, MANY individual MS Outlook contact files, and, of course, our customer/vendor/employee files on our D3 RH Linux ES 3.0 main application server). We'd like to consolidate. So what we're wondering is: Has anyone done an LDAP SERVER for D3? Given our choice of where to consolidate our data, our D3 server is the best protected (UPS, RAID, regula...

sync config server to server
Hello, I need to do some ad-hoc sync-ing between two servers so that one server (Secondary) can act as a cold/warm standby for the other Primary. The Primary has a number of applications thereon which are configured bt the sysadmin and users. And I can find out which files need to be sync-ed. And now I think off it if the Primary goes off line, probably the Secondary needs to be promoted the Primary and sync-ing needs to go the other way. How should I do this? Platform is Centos 3.8. RDIST seems to do what I need to do - but I think I need to use ssh or scp. Any ideas? TIA Ton On Jan ...