My server keeps shutting itself off

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

My newly installed V480 (SunOS 5.9) keeps shutting itself off at random
intervals.  The syslog shows it's being shut off by 'sys-suspend.'  I have
tried everything to keep it from this annoying habit, but nothing seems
to work.

It seems to think it's idle, even when dozens of users are connecting
remotely.  My /etc/power.conf looks like this:

# Statefile     Path
statefile               //.CPR

# Auto-Shutdown Idle(min)       Start/Finish(hh:mm)     Behavior
autoshutdown    30              9:00 9:00       noshutdown

device-dependency-property removable-media /dev/fb
autopm          disable

system-threshold                always-on

It seems pretty clear to me that it should never shut off, but apparently
not to the power daemon.  I even chmod'ed sys-suspend to remove the
executable flag, but all that does is cause a syslog error that sys-suspend
couldn't start, followed by a shutdown.

How do I convince my server that it's not a workstation?  Failing that, would
it be safe to simply disable the powerd daemon?

0
Reply nospam 9/12/2004 6:02:33 PM

See related articles to this posting

On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 18:02:33 GMT, nospam@hanmail.net (No Such User)
wrote:

>My newly installed V480 (SunOS 5.9) keeps shutting itself off at random
>intervals.  The syslog shows it's being shut off by 'sys-suspend.'  I have
>tried everything to keep it from this annoying habit, but nothing seems
>to work.
>
>It seems to think it's idle, even when dozens of users are connecting
>remotely.  My /etc/power.conf looks like this:
>
># Statefile     Path
>statefile               //.CPR
>

># Auto-Shutdown Idle(min)       Start/Finish(hh:mm)     Behavior
>autoshutdown    30              9:00 9:00       noshutdown
>
>device-dependency-property removable-media /dev/fb
>autopm          disable
>
>system-threshold                always-on
>
>It seems pretty clear to me that it should never shut off, but apparently
>not to the power daemon.  I even chmod'ed sys-suspend to remove the
>executable flag, but all that does is cause a syslog error that sys-suspend
>couldn't start, followed by a shutdown.
>
>How do I convince my server that it's not a workstation?  Failing that, would
>it be safe to simply disable the powerd daemon?

You can either touch /etc/noautoshutdown or remove Power Management
entirely by removing the appropriate packages.

Robert Escue
System Administrator
0
Reply Robert 9/12/2004 7:21:18 PM

Robert Escue wrote:
> You can either touch /etc/noautoshutdown or remove Power Management
> entirely by removing the appropriate packages.

Robert, I am confoozed. Not being a PM expert, I cannot find any
reference to /etc/noautoshutdown in any manpage, rc script, nor the
/usr/lib/power/powerd binary. Could you please let me know what consults
this file?

TIA,

Beardy.

0
Reply Beardy 9/13/2004 9:43:24 AM

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 09:43:24 +0000, Beardy <beardy@beardy.net> wrote:

>Robert Escue wrote:
>> You can either touch /etc/noautoshutdown or remove Power Management
>> entirely by removing the appropriate packages.
>>

>Robert, I am confoozed. Not being a PM expert, I cannot find any
>reference to /etc/noautoshutdown in any manpage, rc script, nor the
>/usr/lib/power/powerd binary. Could you please let me know what consults
>this file?
>
>TIA,
>

>Beardy.

Beardy,

I cannot remember the specific reference, but here are a few links:

http://www.netsys.com/sunmgr/2001-08/msg00748.html

http://docs.sun.com/db/doc/817-3945/6mjgluk7t?a=view

http://docs.sun.com/db/doc/817-3937/6mjgeag6h?q=noautoshutdown&a=view

I always remove Power Management just to avoid the auto shutdown
issues.
0
Reply Robert 9/13/2004 10:19:46 AM

No Such User <nospam@hanmail.net> wrote:
> It seems pretty clear to me that it should never shut off, but apparently
> not to the power daemon.

You did run pmconfig after modifying power.conf, right ?

> How do I convince my server that it's not a workstation?  Failing that, would
> it be safe to simply disable the powerd daemon?

You can stop powerd immediately by running "/etc/init.d/power stop".
Make sure the powerd process isn't running anymore after that. To
keep powerd from being started at boot time, just remove or rename
/etc/power.conf.

mp.
--
Systems Administrator | Institute for Software Science | Univ. of Vienna
0

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Mecury Server keeps shutting down
Hi; My mercury mail server is shutting down by itself on random occasions - I have a firewall up but obviously have smtp port 25 open and IMAP port 143 - I suspect that someone knows a bug and is talking my server on one of these ports and is issueing some command that closes the application. I`m running the latest version 3.32 I think it is - seems to co-incide with my postings on usenet seems there`s someone out there who wants to prove they`re cleverer then me. Anyone know about this bug or is it my system ? "Nick Le Lievre" <nlel@nlel.dns2go.com> wrote i...

Server has disconnected client because client could not keep up with the server. (Web Server and Remote Panel)
How to keep the connection continuously without disconnect from server either in Web Server or Remote Panel? &nbsp; Thank You. &nbsp; Hello, Could you please figure out your problem a little bit more specific. Christian ...

Why is my server shutting down?
I start the MySQL server with the "ruby script/server" command. It loads fine. When I go to localhost:3000, the server immediately shuts down and throws out an error. It says: C:\ruby\lib\ruby\gems\1.8\gems\activerecord-2.3.2\lib\active_record\connection_adapters\abstract_adapter.rb:39: [BUG] Segmentation fault ruby 1.8.6 (2008-08-11) [i386-mswin32]. I've been looking around online and many have the same error occuring. I'm running mysql 5.0.83, rails 2.3.2, ruby 1.8.6 and rubygems 1.3.4. Can anybody help!? Thanks, Jay -- Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/. On Thu, Jul...

keeps shutting down
A friend called me today with this problem - they have a pavilion 501N - XP The computer keeps shutting down, after a few minutes of being on it just goes through the shutdown process and turns off. They have cable internet access, no firewall, no spyware protection, but do use Norton AntiVirus. Any suggestions on how to fix the problem (besides booting the computer out the window)? There is common spyware that displays something on the screen, counts down and shuts off the system. But, what are the exact symptoms of the shutdown? What is displayed by the system before it does so? ....

Why does sendmail server keeps going to DNS server if no relay is allowed?
I am using the default sendmail 8.12.10 that was bundled with Freebsd 5.2.1, primarily to receive mail only. According to sendmail documentation, after 8.9 (I think), sendmail is configured to disallow all relay by default. I didn't do much to the default mc file except changing the local mail from the default 'local' to 'procmail'. I also installed IMAP-UW and squirrelmail and qpopper. I also allow relay for my own domains in the access file. Everything runs fine, but I am seeing a lot of traffic from my sendmail server to my DNS server (external) on destination po...

Server Shut Down
Hi. How often should I shut down the server (if ever)? (RH Linux 9: file server, print server, DHCP, DNS, NIS, SMB [WINS]). Thanks. Jorge L. Davila-Laureano wrote: > Hi. > > How often should I shut down the server (if ever)? > > (RH Linux 9: file server, print server, DHCP, DNS, NIS, SMB [WINS]). Only for hardware changes, or upgrades to the kernel. Otherwise, there's no reason to shut it down at all. -- Lew Pitcher, IT Consultant, Application Architecture Enterprise Technology Solutions, TD Bank Financial Group (Opinions expressed here ar...

Linux servers keep growing, Windows & Unix keep shrinking
<Quote> In 2011, we saw, according to IDC=92s latest Worldwide Quarterly Server Tracker, factory revenue in the worldwide server market grew for Linux while it shrank for Windows and Unix. What I find especially interesting about this is that IDC doesn=92t measure when you or your company install Linux on a bare-metal server or a re-purposed server, which is historically how Linux got into companies, but only servers with Linux already pre-installed. That means more and more customers are asking IBM, HP and Dell, the big three server hardware vendors, for Linux on their hardware.... Ze...

Toshiba keeps shutting off...
My Toshiba laptop every so often out of nowhere will just shut off Once it shuts off Ill have to wait at least ten mins before I am abl to get back onto windows again. Theres no certain time it doe this...out of nowhere it will just happen and you never know when Its not on hibernate because again, when I go to turn it back on i reboots but it takes me ten mins to be able to get back on t windows.. Can anyone help me...its getting REALLY annoying no@spam.invalid (Snuffles) wrote in news:gxIpf.12849$Kd1.10847 @fe05.news.easynews.com: > My Toshiba laptop every so often out of nowhere will ...

SOAPpy server shutting down?
I have a soap server I am running on an OS X Server using SOAPpy. To start the server I am running server = SOAPpy.SOAPServer(('IPADDRESS", PORT), namespace=NAMESPACE) server.serve_forever() I am starting the server manually in the background by running from the command line as follows: ../mySOAPServer.py & However, when I log out of my ssh session, the server often stops working. I have not been able to find a consistent amount of time it will stay up, however it always seems to go down after an hour or so. Any ideas on how to prevent this or take care of the problem. So fa...

Matlab keeps shutting down
I have installed the Matlab 7 version of the software. As soon as i open the program, it takes time to initialise and then closes itself down. Please help me... Regards Rupak On Dec 6, 11:58 am, "Rupak Banerjee" <rba...@gmail.com> wrote: > I have installed the Matlab 7 version of the software. As > soon as i open the program, it takes time to initialise and > then closes itself down. > > Please help me... > > Regards > > Rupak Platform/OS information and which MATLAB 7 are you using would be helpful. neuromath <mathneuro@gmail.com> wrote i...

Keeping the Server Alive!
Ok, I have a question: I want to write a script, or maybe a C program, or possibly use a pre-existing application to do the following: If I am gone for a week. I want the thing to periodically check my ppp0 device to see if it is active. If the isp has gone down, and the link has died, I would like the system to perform: ifconfig ppp0 up -Any ideas? Thanks in advance Josh Beck -- On Fri, 21 Nov 2003, Josh Beck <Webmaster@freewebspace.planetdns.net> wrote: > > Ok, I have a question: > > I want to ...

Keep losing Server
Got a new Imac with Airport Extreme card running on my wireless G network, (DSL). Also have a wireless PC laptop and wired desktop PC on the network. Both of the PCs work fine, never lose connection. The Imac always has a strong (excellent) signal but frequently just loses the connection (cant find server error). What is going on? Is there something I need to reconfigure in the Mac to keep my connection? Thanks, Sandy * posted via http://mymac.ws > Got a new Imac with Airport Extreme card running on my wireless G > network, (DSL). Also have a wireless PC laptop and wired desktop PC &g...

How to keep Junk on the server
I may have missed something, but how do you do that? On my computer at home, the junk filter seems to trap some very important mails and promptly remove them from the server, so that when I open Eudora on another computer, that mail never gets there (and the filters seem to be less savage on that computer). The version is 6.1.1 paid. Normally I would be happy to see spam removed from the server immediately, but I sometimes forget to view the Junk mailbox on the home computer for weeks and find that there is something there that should have been responded to days before, that I would...

Shut down server on disconnect
Is there a setting to exit server mode when a file transfer coming in dies because of a disconnected phone line? I have a PC that I leave in server mode waiting for a remote PC to dial in and send files. I would like my PC to exit Server mode when I get a dropped line. If this is possible, what version of K95 do I need? Steve On 2004-05-14, Steve <stevebNoSpamPlease@comcast.com> wrote: : Is there a setting to exit server mode when a file transfer coming in dies : because of a disconnected phone line? I have a PC that I leave in server : mode waiting for a remote PC to...

Shut down postgres server...
What's the appropiate command to shut down the Postgres server (postmaster)? Charles Loftis celoftis@unity.ncsu.edu ---------------------------(end of broadcast)--------------------------- TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend On Sun, 2004-06-06 at 18:58, celoftis@unity.ncsu.edu wrote: > What's the appropiate command to shut down the Postgres server (postmaster)? as the postgres super user, you can shut it down with: pg_ctl stop If you are on an RPM based system like redhat, as the super user (i.e. root) enter the command: service postgresql stop -...

keep gettting errors using Sequel ODBC::Error: 37000 (170) [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driv er][SQL Server]Line 1: Incorrect syntax near '1'.
i am trying to connect to MSSQL server from xP i have the following problem for any sql. pl help ODBC::Error: 37000 (170) [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driv er][SQL Server]Line 1: Incorrect syntax near '1'. D:\Documents and Settings\>irb irb(main):001:0> require 'odbc' => true irb(main):002:0> require 'Sequel' => true <c('LPM', :user=>'resum', :password=>'ms_0416') => #<Sequel::ODBC::Database: "odbc:resum:ms_04166@/LPM"> irb(main):004:0> require 'rubygems' => false irb(main):005:0> a...

HELP! Server keeps locking up
I have a Windows 2000 server that has been having troubles now at least twice a week where it needs to be rebooted. I get errors 2020 and 2016 (The server was unable to allocate virtual memory. ) I suspect some app has a memory leak and the server is running out of RAM and other resources but I don't know how to pinpoint what app (or service) is causing this to happen. Are there any tools or utilities I can run that will help me figure this out? Fran ...

w2k server keeps locking up
I've got a copy of w2ksvr with sql and ms dot net dev env installed. I can't reinstall it because I don't have the original copies. It keeps locking up where the system just freezes and I have to turn off the switch in the back. I tried putting a drive with Win98 on the same machine and it ran fine for a day or 2. (I thought maybe the processor was getting too hot). When I put the w2k drive back in it locked up again right away 2x and then I let it sit over night and it seems fine so far (its only run for about 1/2 now). I'm going threw and copy some of the info from Computer M...

Matlab 14 keeps shutting down
Guys please can someone help me, everytime I open matlab it just closes. Greg wrote: > Guys please can someone help me, everytime I open matlab it just > closes. No error message or other details? -Matt Hi Greg, It sounds like you are seeing the problem from this solution. It's probably a conflict with a graphics driver. If this solution does not help you, please reply with more specific information about your problem. Good luck! Sean "Greg" <Matlab@fine.za.net> wrote in message news:eefec45.-1@webx.raydaftYaTP... > Guys please can someone help me, everytim...

My unix server unexpectadly shut down
Just this morning, I was in the middle of working on the database on our unix server and then, Blip, it was gone. After a little bit of panicing I managed get the kvm working on the server itself and found that it had simply restarted itself. It halted on boot up because of some error message about not being able to find a hard disk. So my question is, since i'm somewhat of a unix noob and the usual IT guy is away: Does it keep any kind of logs of this kind of thing? I'd love to know a) Why it shut down in the first place b) What the error message was about when it was booting. It&#...

First Usenet server shuts down
The end is neigh! http://www.dukenews.duke.edu/2010/05/usenet.html - Justisaur "Justisaur" <justisaur@gmail.com> wrote in message news:3419d1f1-e59f-4b5f-9546-41b5f08971c1@34g2000prs.googlegroups.com... > The end is neigh! > > http://www.dukenews.duke.edu/2010/05/usenet.html Usenet has been in decline for years but due to its decentralized structure it will never truly "end". There's always going to be some computer somewhere that has set aside some memory and a few cpu cycles to run a Usenet server. -- -smithdoerr "smithdoerr"...

MS Word keeps shutting down
Since my new computer was formatted, with Windows 98 SE, and later low level formatted with Win XP, and with both MS Office 2000 and Office XP, I keep getting booted out of MS-Word. I get the error message that Word has to be closed, and then Windows restores the piece I was typing when it automatically reopens. Sometimes this happens as soon as I type a single character, and sometimes many times within even a 1-page document. This ocurred when all I had on the computer was Windows and Office, and also after I put other software on the computer. Word seems to be the only affected program--...

Shut down DataSocket Server programatically
Is it possible to shut down the DataSocket Server programatically? &nbsp; I�ve tried the windows API VIs (Quit Application.vi) but the Server "hangs" in the Windows start bar (right corner beside windows clock). It seems the Application cannot be "killed" this way.&nbsp; &nbsp; Is there any way to do so!? &nbsp; Thanks for answer, Sascha&nbsp; ...

MySQL server keeps restarting
In my mysql server err file the following messages is repeated over and over again evry 3 seconds. What is wrong? Number of processes running now: 0 080421 10:35:55 mysqld restarted 080421 10:35:55 InnoDB: Database was not shut down normally! InnoDB: Starting crash recovery. InnoDB: Reading tablespace information from the .ibd files... InnoDB: Restoring possible half-written data pages from the doublewrite InnoDB: buffer... 080421 10:35:55 InnoDB: Starting log scan based on checkpoint at InnoDB: log sequence number 0 43655. InnoDB: Doing recovery: scanned up to log sequence number 0 43655 ...