packet loss on loopback interface!?

I am using udp as communication protocol. I know that udp is connection
less and may lose datagrams, but i expected this only on real networks
or buffer overflows, not when using the loopback interface.

My application performs an handshaking over udp, the client sends an
request and the server ansers with an ack. Fairly simple, but when
running on max speed with no wait states, some datagrams are lost.
But why? Sending request-response is a form of flow-control, so the
network buffers for udp should not overflow.

Is thery any way to reduce the discardment of datagrams, possibly a
socket option or solaris kernel parameters? The problem occurs on real
network connections (not loopback), too.
I used the option SO_DEBUG with my socket, but it seems there's no
debug-log written to the syslog.
Are there any other tuning parameters!?

regards, markus

0
Markus

Markus Breuer <markus.breuer@gmx.de> writes:

>My application performs an handshaking over udp, the client sends an
>request and the server ansers with an ack. Fairly simple, but when
>running on max speed with no wait states, some datagrams are lost.
>But why? Sending request-response is a form of flow-control, so the
>network buffers for udp should not overflow.

If you do request response I would not expecting packetloss; if you
are sending as fast as you can and you're not waiting for responses
then the kernel will not flow control UDP buffers will overflow
and packets will be dropped.

>Is thery any way to reduce the discardment of datagrams, possibly a
>socket option or solaris kernel parameters? The problem occurs on real
>network connections (not loopback), too.
>I used the option SO_DEBUG with my socket, but it seems there's no
>debug-log written to the syslog.

You can increase the udp buffer size using setsockopt() and the
max buffer size using ndd -set /dev/udp.

For loopback, you can use AF_UNIX, SOCK_SEQPACKET

Casper
--
Expressed in this posting are my opinions.  They are in no way related
be fiction rather than truth.

Packet loss with libpcap on a loopback interface
Hi! I'm trying to write a protocol decoder using libpcap. I'm having problems with a simple test program that sends a simple "hello world"- string on a TCP port. I intermittently receive some "TCP ACKed lost segment" for the packets that are sent/received. My best guess is that this is related to either libpcap or my setup since I get the same behaviour using my own protocol decoder as with Wireshark. The fact that the segments are not lost, other than for libpcap, are obvious since the test application receives the data without any retransmissions going ...

Reapeatable packet loss on ulip interface over Solaris TCP on 100Mbps
Hi I use VxSim with ulip over Solaris8. Whenever the gap between 2 packets < 10usec - The second received packet does not arrive to ulip interface. This cause a very slow TCP connection. On 10BaseT it never happens (probably because the inter packet gap > 10 usec). Did anyone encountered this problem? Thanks, Ilan ...

packet loss because of big packets
Hello, The following problem occurs in my network: The command 'ping anyhost' works well without packet loss. Ping sends packets with a size of about 65 Bytes. If I grow the packet size with the parameter -s, I have got packet loss. The command 'ping -s 65507 host' works well for some hosts, for others not (100 % loss). Does this indicate bad network components? What does this mean for other protocols like UDP or TCP? Thank You for Your help! Andreas This might be due to certain hosts not supporting ICMP Echo reply with larger packet sizes. Sandeep -- htt...

Packet loss on larger packets only
Being stumped on a problem with a Win2K (SP4) box. Recently started to have network performance problems, no recent configuration changes that I can identify that might be responsible. I've narrowed the problem down to an issue where small packets are OK, but I get lots of packet loss on packets larger than 200-250 bytes, particularly over 300 bytes. This was tested by using "ping -t -l <size> <destination>" for hosts either on the same LAN or over an internet link. Problem manifests itself whether pinging from or to the affected host. This box also h...

sending raw packet from specified interface in solaris
Hi All, I have to network interfaces configured on same subnet. but I want to send particular packet from specified interface. can you please tell me any available mechanism..? I tried with normal socket programming , SOCK_RAW but it is not working ..... any help is welcome.. Thanks... LinuxGuy schrieb: > Hi All, > > I have to network interfaces configured on same subnet. but I want to > send particular packet from specified interface. can you please tell me > any available mechanism..? > > I tried with normal socket programming , SOCK_RAW but it is not working >...

New packet loss issue
I've submitted this as a Sun case, but I thought I'd post here as well to see if anyone else has experienced this problem. Any ideas? ------------ The server is an x4100 M2 running Solaris 10 11/06 x86. Patches were current as of 4/9/2007, including a reconfig reboot at that time. Yesterday, the server was rebooted and afterwards the packet loss was noticed immediately. Note that as part of troubleshooting this problem, I've brought the patches up to date as of yesterday, performed a reconfig reboot, as well as performing a cold boot (with power cables completely removed). ...

loopback interface
Is it possible to create many loopback interfaces (as in Cisco routers) and get different statistics for these interfaces ? ...

LoopBack Interface
Can anybody help me in the following subject? Situation 1. Router 1 (2500 series) have 2 Serial Interface connected to 2 Branches. Loopback Interface is also configured for the Router & is running OSPF as the Routing Protocol. Does the Loopback Interface have any role to play if both the Serial Interfaces goes down(Line Protocol)? Thanks.. In article <1129271896.486735.273740@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>, Sabya <sabya.ghosh@gmail.com> wrote: :Can anybody help me in the following subject? :Situation 1. Router 1 (2500 series) have 2 Serial Interface connected :to 2 Branche...

Packet loss?
Hi, As an exercise I am trying to implement a very simple packet-loss measurement tool (copying the approach in Sting: a TCP-based Network Measurement Tool by Stefan Savage). I am sending a padded HTTP GET request as a sequence of TCP packets with 1 byte of payload to various web servers and watching the acks coming back. I pause for 1 second between sending each TCP packet. I have two questions: 1. I am not seeing any packet loss. Am I getting lucky or is the size of the packet (1 byte payload) somehow not big enough to encourage packet loss? 2. Some web servers are happy ...

Packet loss

interface to interface
Can I write a program to read packet from one interface and output packet to another interface? I wonder if os identify the two IP belong to interface in local machine, transmitting the packet in IP layer,and no packet goes out the interface. Is it possible to happen? In article <7d4caedb.0410181756.627370d@posting.google.com>, te0543@giga.net.tw (Joseph) wrote: > Can I write a program to read packet from one interface and output > packet to another interface? If you can write a program to read from one interface, and you can write a program to write to the other interface, wh...

Loopback Interface
I'm running a slave kerberos KDC on my OS X laptop. I need to access the KDC when the laptop is disconnected from any network, but the KDC doesn't bind to the loopback interface, and I can't seem to setup a dummy interface in OS X. OS X shuts down any interface on which it can't detect a link. How can I force the KDC to bind to the loopback interface? Thanks, Jack ________________________________________________ Kerberos mailing list Kerberos@mit.edu https://mailman.mit.edu/mailman/listinfo/kerberos >>>>> "ms419" == ms419 <ms419@...

Question: C2 Security Configuration for general Unix and Solaris/Trusted Solaris (Auditing)
While reviewing the DoD 5200.28-STD "DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE TRUSTED COMPUTER SYSTEM EVALUATION CRITERIA" document and looking over "Security Requirements for Automatic Data Processing (ADP) Systems," for Federal systems requiring C2 compliance I realized that I do not understand the distinction between Solaris and Trusted Solaris. On the issue of Accountability(auditing) 1. Can Unix machines using only the syslogd facility meet 'C2' or higher? 2. Does Trusted Solaris offer any system resource advantage (CPU and Disk utilization) over Solaris usi...

US-DE: Newark-Sr Unix Application Developer-Solaris,UNIX Internals,SQL,
************************************************************** JobCircle.com - Careers, Content and Community for Technology professionals in the Northeastern United States! Jobcircle.com provides resume submission, classified searches, eLearning, hundreds of career development articles, tech news, and more to tens of thousands of Technology professionals in your area - visit us today at http://www.jobcircle.com! !!! Voted a TOP 50 Career Web Site in 2002 by CareerXRoads !!! ************************************************************** Job Title: Sr Unix Application Devel...

Web resources about - packet loss on loopback interface!? - comp.unix.solaris

Interface - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Weather Underground gets interface improvements on iOS
The popular online weather service Weather Underground has just updated its official iOS app with a number of interface enhancements.

Disney CEO & Apple board member Bob Iger calls Apple TV best television interface ever
... Executive Bob Iger said in an interview on Monday, praising Apple for creating what he believes is the most intuitive television user interface ...

Playing around with BMW’s 7 Series gesture control user interface
... we showed you Dragon Drive , the voice-activation system that's now included in BMW's 7 Series. That's not the only advanced user interface ...

Firefox 43 adds new block list, updates Android user interface
Mozilla has rolled out Firefox 43 FINAL for Windows, Mac and Linux, with Firefox 43 for Android due to follow imminently. The desktop build ...

Samsung Shows Off New Smart Remote and Interface for Their Smart TVs
... hubs in 2016. On top of extensive smart home control by way of SmartThings , the company’s line of smart TVs will also be getting a user interface ...

IDG Contributor Network: Post-acquisition, LastPass rolls out new version with more user interface bling ...
... exists, revenue streams are sure to eventuate. The new version of LastPass, imaginatively called LastPass 4.0, has an entirely new user interface ...

Android’s design guru says iPhone interface is ‘heavy and burdensome’
The arrival of the original iPhone may have fundamentally changed Google’s plans for its Android smartphone platform, but according to Google’s ...

Sling TV Plans New Interface And Guide That Predicts What Users Want
... Sling CEO Roger Lynch says that the service won’t hike the price this year. He also said that later this quarter it will roll out a new interface, ...

DNews: Brain-Computer Interfaces: Move Stuff with Your Mind
It's slow going, but science continues apace toward a day when brain waves can reliably be used to move physical objects.