packet loss on loopback interface!?

I am using udp as communication protocol. I know that udp is connection
less and may lose datagrams, but i expected this only on real networks
or buffer overflows, not when using the loopback interface.

My application performs an handshaking over udp, the client sends an
request and the server ansers with an ack. Fairly simple, but when
running on max speed with no wait states, some datagrams are lost.
But why? Sending request-response is a form of flow-control, so the
network buffers for udp should not overflow.

Is thery any way to reduce the discardment of datagrams, possibly a
socket option or solaris kernel parameters? The problem occurs on real
network connections (not loopback), too.
I used the option SO_DEBUG with my socket, but it seems there's no
debug-log written to the syslog.
Are there any other tuning parameters!?

regards, markus

0
Markus

Markus Breuer <markus.breuer@gmx.de> writes:

>My application performs an handshaking over udp, the client sends an
>request and the server ansers with an ack. Fairly simple, but when
>running on max speed with no wait states, some datagrams are lost.
>But why? Sending request-response is a form of flow-control, so the
>network buffers for udp should not overflow.

If you do request response I would not expecting packetloss; if you
are sending as fast as you can and you're not waiting for responses
then the kernel will not flow control UDP buffers will overflow
and packets will be dropped.

>Is thery any way to reduce the discardment of datagrams, possibly a
>socket option or solaris kernel parameters? The problem occurs on real
>network connections (not loopback), too.
>I used the option SO_DEBUG with my socket, but it seems there's no
>debug-log written to the syslog.

You can increase the udp buffer size using setsockopt() and the
max buffer size using ndd -set /dev/udp.

For loopback, you can use AF_UNIX, SOCK_SEQPACKET

Casper
--
Expressed in this posting are my opinions.  They are in no way related
be fiction rather than truth.

Web resources about - packet loss on loopback interface!? - comp.unix.solaris

Interface - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Wikipedia for iOS updated w/ redesigned interface, 3D Touch, Handoff & more
... released an update to its iOS app that adds a host of new features and capabilities. The latest version of the app offers a redesigned interface ...

Google to Overhaul AdWords User Interface to Reflect Marketing in Multiscreen World
Google said Monday it will redesign the user interface for AdWords so it can better serve marketers who are trying to deliver ads in a multiscreen ...

Waze 4.0 unveiled with revamped user interface
... post, Waze has uploaded a video straight to YouTube to tell us what’s new. Basically, we are looking at a complete refresh to the user interface, ...

Molex and Cisco Help to Lead MSA to Develop Double-Density QSFP Interfaces
Molex and Cisco Help to Lead MSA to Develop Double-Density QSFP Interfaces Business Wire (press release) LISLE, Ill. & SAN JOSE, Calif.(BUSINESS ...

European Electric Bus Makers Will Work Toward Open Charging Interface
... common charging infrastructure in this case refers to that provided [&hellip European Electric Bus Makers Will Work Toward Open Charging Interface ...

Industrial IoT still needs humans and user interfaces
IoT is getting more automated, but not everything can be done by machines. An engineer who's been working with a system for decades has insights ...

Software brings your PC's entire interface to VR
Virtual reality faces numerous challenges, but one of the biggest is having to take your headset off whenever you need to run a conventional ...

LG to Release UX 5.0 User Interface Update With G5 Smartphone
DAILY VIDEO: LG updates UX 5.0 user interface for G5 smartphone; NTT Data to buy Dell Services for more than $3 Billion; Acer creates 2 major ...

Why Messaging Is The Business Interface Of The Future
The top four messengers today have more users than the top four social networks.