pfiles

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

hi, could someone provide some advice where to find the source code of pfiles?
i would like to know how it works.
thanks in advance,
0
Reply matrixwho (1) 9/18/2003 12:06:24 PM

See related articles to this posting

In article <230ff8b4.0309180406.baa15da@posting.google.com>,
matrix <matrixwho@hotmail.com> wrote:
>hi, could someone provide some advice where to find the source code of pfiles?
>i would like to know how it works.

Try truss'ing it, and you'll see most of the ways it's using /proc (q.v.).
The more complicated bits are where it's using the agent LWP to execute
fcntl's in the victim process.

If you did get hold of the source, you might be disappointed, in that
much of the interesting code will be in libproc.so (whose routines don't
have public specifications).

Chris Thompson
Email: cet1 [at] cam.ac.uk
0
Reply cet1 9/18/2003 1:10:30 PM

cet1@cus.cam.ac.uk (Chris Thompson) wrote in message news:<bkcas6$12n$1@pegasus.csx.cam.ac.uk>...
> In article <230ff8b4.0309180406.baa15da@posting.google.com>,
> matrix <matrixwho@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >hi, could someone provide some advice where to find the source code of pfiles?
> >i would like to know how it works.
>
> Try truss'ing it, and you'll see most of the ways it's using /proc (q.v.).
> The more complicated bits are where it's using the agent LWP to execute
> fcntl's in the victim process.
>
> If you did get hold of the source, you might be disappointed, in that
> much of the interesting code will be in libproc.so (whose routines don't
> have public specifications).
>
> Chris Thompson
> Email: cet1 [at] cam.ac.uk

thanks for the comments. but i am trying to study around it.
it will be nice if you could provide some instruction or some helpful links.
best regards,
matrix
0
Reply matrixwho 9/20/2003 6:47:25 AM
comp.unix.solaris 25769 articles. 87 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

about pfile.
hello, can you show me how can i use p-file in matlab? Best regards "salem selma" <salem.selma@mathworks.com> wrote in message news:fj3mc2$iqg$1@fred.mathworks.com... > hello, > > can you show me how can i use p-file in matlab? > > Best regards Read the last section on this page: http://www.mathworks.com/access/helpdesk/help/techdoc/matlab_prog/f7-41453.html -- Steve Lord slord@mathworks.com ...

9i pfile
Can someone help, please? I'm running a 9i database. I want to put our live database into archive mode so that we can use RMAN so I am practicing on a copy Db (Copy in place and running fine). I've managed to get the copy Db into archive mode but wanted to alter the archive_log_dest_1 I do not seem to be able t get the Db to read the pfile (I think). I want to use the pfile to direct the archive_log_dest_1 to an empty disk (that will not be used for anything else,. except archive logs) but everytime I start the database in mount mode then run 'archive log list' it show the def...

Pfile Question
How do I find out which pfile the instance was started with? Larry Originally posted by Larry Lowe > How do I find out which pfile the instance was started with? > > Larry If you did not use option startup pfile=..... to start your database, then Oracle looks for the pfile in the default location i.e. Win*: ORACLE_HOME\database\init<SID>.ora nix*: ORACLE_HOME/dbs/init<SID>.ora For 9i, if you have created an spfile "spfile<SID>.ora", then it would look for spfile first in the same locations according to OS. ...

pfiles not detecting sockets
Hi, When using pfiles, I have noticed that it fails to detect sockets in some instances. Instead of reporting the correct information (ie port/address) the descriptor is detected as "S_IFCHR". An example: rpcbind (apologies for the formatting - lines are a bit too long) elmo:~>>>># pfiles `pgrep rpcbind` 133: /usr/sbin/rpcbind Current rlimit: 1023 file descriptors 0: S_IFCHR mode:0666 dev:32,0 ino:205555 uid:0 gid:3 rdev:13,2 O_RDWR 1: S_IFCHR mode:0666 dev:32,0 ino:205555 uid:0 gid:3 rdev:13,2 O_RDWR 2: S_IFCHR mode:0666 dev:32,0 ino:205555 u...

pfiles handle 255
Anyone know off hand why the following handle is usually opened by most proccesses and usually given the highest allowed number in the open file process table? 255: S_IFCHR mode:0620 dev:274,0 ino:12582918 uid:100 gid:7 rdev:24,1 O_RDWR|O_NOCTTY|O_LARGEFILE FD_CLOEXEC /devices/pseudo/pts@0:1 -- Rodrick R. Brown Senior IT Consultant http://www.rodrickbrown.com rodrick.brown[<@>]gmail.com In 1986 Apple bought a Cray X-MP and announced that they would use it to design the next Apple Macintosh, Seymour Cray replied, "This is very interesting because I am using an App...

help me to open pfile
i have downloaded a p-file from net. how to run that pfile. how to creat a m-file from that p-file "deva " <john.doe.nospam@mathworks.com> wrote in message news:flt98l$qfp$1@fred.mathworks.com... >i have downloaded a p-file from net. how to run that > pfile. You use P-coded files just like you'd use an M-file. > how to creat a m-file from that p-file You can't. If you want to read or modify the source code of a P-file, you need to read or modify the M-file from which it was created (and call PCODE to update the P-file if you modified the M-file.) -- ...

Creating PFILE from SPFILE with *.
I create my PFILE from my SPFILE using SQL> CREATE PFILE FROM SPFILE It creates a file when I OPEN it is NOT a NORMAL INIT.ORA File... Everyline starts with *. Example: *.aq_tm_processes=1 *.compatible='9.2.0.0.0' When I start my DB with this file... it gives me ERRORS... SQL> startup nomount; ORA-01078: failure in processing system parameters LRM-00101: unknown parameter name 'q_tm_processes' SQL> Can anyone please HELP me on this... HARI OM When I log in to SQLPLUS and execute "show parameter spfile" it shows: ----------------------------------------...

Cannot create spfile from pfile
Hi guru's That's it! When I type various combinations of the above command and then type show parameter spfile the value is blank. What gives guys? RH Linux 4AS Oracle 9i RAC tb3101 On 9 Feb, 12:03, trub3101 <trub3...@sky.com> wrote: > Hi guru's > > That's it! When I type various combinations of the above command and > then type show parameter spfile the value is blank. > > What gives guys? > > RH Linux 4AS > Oracle 9i RAC > > tb3101 Sorted! ...

Beginner question: pfile performance
Hi all, A question regarding pfiles: are they simply a colection of mfiles (like a tar) or are they compiled, and thus I should expect an increase in performance? If so, will it be noticeable? Best regards Lemon In article <1131096831.076833.27540@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>, hepaminondas@gmail.com says... > Hi all, > > A question regarding pfiles: > are they simply a colection of mfiles (like a tar) or are they > compiled, and thus I should expect an increase in performance? If so, > will it be noticeable? > > Best regards > > Lemon > &...

spfile vs pfile in 9i
Hello can anyone explain to me what the advantages of using spfiles are over the traditional pfiles? Is it just the ability to make changes to the database on the fly without editing files etc? Also, why are there so many pfiles created for each database in 9i, and what do they all do? I have a test database and the following pfiles have been created for it: oracle\ora92\database\inittest.ora oracle\ora92\sysman\ifiles\def_TEST.domain.co.UK.ora oracle\admin\test\pfile\init.ora and this spfile: oracle\ora92\database\spfiletest.ora thanks for your help Richard "Richard Stanton&q...

How to determine the sessions parameter in the pfile
We just put an instance of Oracle 9.2 on W23k on line. So far, so good. It's connected to a webserver farm which uses connection pooling to increase or decrease the number of connections based on load. Unfortunately, at some peak load times the maximum number of sessions is reached and users get the "ORA-00020 : Maximum processes exceeeded" . During those periods, the oracle server doesn't seem to be stressed (low CPU usage, etc.) so I think the problem is just that the processes parameter is artificially low. So, how does one determine a good value for the processes ...

do disaster recovery without pfile
Hello DBAs, I took backup last night of a production database which included all datafile with user managed backup and controlfile to trace. I didn't take any pfile backup. Now I have to do disaster recovery because all datafiles,controlfiles,redo log files,pfile and spfile are lost. I just have backup and archive log files. Please help to recover database when I don't have pfile backup because I can't assume everything of pfile again. "peter" <hhh.database@gmail.com> wrote in news:1155212820.460142.90710 @p79g2000cwp.googlegroups.com: > Hello DBAs, > >...

Will the REAL pfile Please Stand Up
Hello, On a Windows 2000 system running Oracle 8.17 I have noticed that the Registry shows this as the pfile location: C:\oracle\admin\db1\pfile\initdb1.ora I also noticed however, that every time my database shuts down it writes to: C:\oracle\ora81\sysman\ifiles\def_DB1.ora 1. If I want to modify the pfile which one should I change? 2. Does Oracle 8.17 on Sun UNIX systems have this dual pfile scenario too? Thanks very much for feedback, On 4 Jul 2004 16:49:50 -0700, melliott42@yahoo.com (Michael) wrote: >Hello, > >On a Windows 2000 system running Oracle 8.17 I have >notice...

pfiles : ino field has strange value
hi all, solaris 10 galaxi shows: pfiles: 34: S_IFCHR mode:0000 dev:270,0 ino:55140 uid:0 gid:0 rdev:42,64 O_RDWR /devices/pseudo/tcp@0:tcp # ls -i /devices/pseudo/tcp@0:tcp 22020104 /devices/pseudo/tcp@0:tcp Sometimes the value is correct: 0: S_IFCHR mode:0666 dev:270,0 ino:6815752 uid:0 gid:3 rdev:13,2 O_RDWR|O_LARGEFILE /devices/pseudo/mm@0:null # ls -i /devices/pseudo/mm@0:null 6815752 /devices/pseudo/mm@0:null Is there a problem with pfiles or with my understanding of the ino field? thanks for all replies. ...

how to find if instance started by pfile or spfile
Hi, I have a very stupid question to ask.. is there any way to find which parameter file started the oracle instance? For example, is that pfile or spfile? location of the file ? can I find those info from dictionary views ? your help is very appreciated. Thanks. On 24 Apr 2007 11:56:35 -0700, esthershensh@yahoo.com wrote: >Hi, > >I have a very stupid question to ask.. > >is there any way to find which parameter file started the oracle >instance? > >For example, is that pfile or spfile? location of the file ? > >can I find those info from dictionary views...

pfiles and it's output...... grrr.
Hi, I'm trying to interpret the meaning of part of the output of pfiles on Sol 2.6. I have my head around most of it but there's something I ain't sure of. When I do a pfiles <pid> I see opened regular files, pipes, doors and also sockets. I'm concerned about the sockets part. Taking as an example the following 2 FDs (24 and 11) I can see that; // FD #25 is used for an incoming socket connection. The connection comes from // peername host with IP address 5.6.7.8. 25: S_IFSOCK mode:0666 dev:262,0 ino:59883 uid:0 gid:0 size:0 O_RDWR|O_NONBLOCK FD_CLOEXEC ...

Help ORACLE 9i spfile and pfile
Hi, I modified the spfile using the Oracle metalink approach below. When I run the last step: SQL> create spfile='spfilecab3.ora' from pfile='pfilecab3.ora' ; create spfile='spfilecab3.ora' from pfile='pfilecab3.ora' * ERROR at line 1: ORA-00600: internal error code, arguments: [908], [], [], [], [], [], [], [] I get the error above, what do I need to do, nothing is reported in the alert.log. Thx in advance. >From metalink: B. Use the export method. 1. Therefore you need to first export the SPFILE content to a PFILE which will necessarily b...

(S)PFiles in genaral [Oracle 9i] (Newbie)
Hello, I read on (S)Pfiles in a book, but I think I didnt get this topic. Some databases seem to have a text pfile including the parameters and some only have a binary spfile. (1) What is the main difference between a "normal" init file and a sp-initfile? (2) How do I decide if the database has to work with a "normal" init file or a spinit-File? I did a BACKUP of a spfile with a playground database as described in the Backup and Recovery Manual: SQL>CREATE PFILE = 'initmydb.ora.bak' FROM SPFILE; The format seems to be an text excerpt of the binary spfile, b...

how can see my database is in pfile or spfile mode ?
Hi, someone could tel me how can i do to see if my database is in spfile or in pfile mode ? Thanks sql> show parameter spfile or sql> select * from V$parameter where name='spfile'; If there is a value there, you are using a spfile. HTH. Cheers. Carlos. If your database contain both the files "TOM(asktom)" solution will help you sys@ORA920.US.ORACLE.COM> select decode(count(*), 1, 'spfile', 'pfile' ) 2 from v$spparameter 3 where rownum=1 4 and isspecified='TRUE' 5 / DECODE ------ spfile isspecified is TRUE for...

set SGA size through Enterprise Manager or pfile?
I'm temporarily looking after an Oracle 9.2 database and have been asked to resize and redistribute the SGA following an increase in RAM on the box. I increased the SGA max size to 4 GB throught Enterprise Manager and restarted the database and the SGA resized to 4 GB. However, very shortly after the whole box was rebooted and when the database came back up it's size had gone back to what it was before the resize (1 GB). Having looked into this there doesn't seem to be an spfile present. What is the relationship between making settings in a pfile and compiling it to an spfile and...

pfiles: program is _LP64, self is not: <pid>
Hi all, Could someone explain the sbject message? System is solaris 9. Thanks for all replies. adirtymindisajoyforever <getridofthespam@yahoo.com> wrote: > Hi all, > Could someone explain the sbject message? > System is solaris 9. Looks like you ran the 32 bit pfiles and asked it to examine a 64 bit process. # /usr/bin/sparcv7/pfiles 2599 pfiles: program is _LP64, self is not: 2599 However, that's very odd, because by default, the pfiles in your path is /usr/bin/pfiles, which is just a link to isaexec. # grep /usr/bin/pfiles /var/sadm/install/contents /usr/bin/pfi...

rman creates spfile, but pfile created from it has 0 kb
Hello, Oracle 10g, Windows Server 2003. I create a spfile with RMAN: ***************************************************************************** RMAN> BACKUP SPFILE format 'C:\spfile.ora'; Starting backup at 20-APR-12 using target database controlfile instead of recovery catalog allocated channel: ORA_DISK_1 channel ORA_DISK_1: sid=492 devtype=DISK channel ORA_DISK_1: starting full datafile backupset channel ORA_DISK_1: specifying datafile(s) in backupset including current SPFILE in backupset channel ORA_DISK_1: starting piece 1 at 20-APR-12 channel ORA_DISK_1: finished piece 1 ...

pfiles + "ls -lL /dev/*" does not work
after executing pfiles on a process I'm trying to match open file desciptors' devices to device numbers using "ls -Ll /dev/*" and for some regular files I find them OK but for some directories I cannot even find a matching device! For example there is no device with major number = 200 17: S_IFDIR mode:0777 dev:200,92 ino:16119 uid:3104 gid:801 size:417 O_RDONLY|O_NDELAY|O_LARGEFILE FD_CLOEXEC 18: S_IFDIR mode:0777 dev:200,92 ino:16119 uid:3104 gid:801 size:417 O_RDONLY|O_NDELAY|O_LARGEFILE FD_CLOEXEC We have ClearCase on this server. could this be causing it...

After Creating SPFILE from PFILE startup gives ora-03113
Saw a doc on Metalink that said all you had to do was reconnect and restart the instace if an error occured after creating an spfile from a pfile. I checked metalink for all deprecated parameters for 9.2.0.6 and I dont have any parameters listed that are deprecated. Anybody know. Below is my parameter file. #active_instance_count = functions only in a cluster with only two instances. aq_tm_processes = 0 archive_lag_target = 0 #audit_file_dest = %ORACLE_HOME%\rdbms\audit #not used unless audit_trail is set audit_sys_operations = false audi...