Sendmail not sending mails immediately

Hello,

We've got a Solaris 9 x86 box which sends notification mails and we
would like those mails to be sent immediately. Currently there are
sitting in the queue a few minutes and then they get sent. I didn't
configure anything differently no that box. And sendmail is running as
the following:

  root   282     1  0   Dec 21 ?        0:01 /usr/lib/sendmail -bd -q15m
    smmsp   283     1  0   Dec 21 ?        0:00 /usr/lib/sendmail -Ac -q15m

My question now is: how do I configure sendmail to send immediately mails ?

Regards

0
Syn

>   root   282     1  0   Dec 21 ?        0:01 /usr/lib/sendmail -bd -q15m
>   smmsp   283     1  0   Dec 21 ?        0:00 /usr/lib/sendmail -Ac -q15m

Replace -q15m with -q1s

Sincerely,
  Francesco

--
To contact me remove the "NOSPAM" part from my e-mail address.

0
Francesco
12/23/2003 5:46:50 PM
I should add that -q1s implies that sendmail will process the mail queue
every single second... so it's unnecessary overhead. I suggest you try
with -q1m so it's once every minute... it's not too bad, but it could
still be too much overhead for your system. Try to find a compromise
between response times and overhead.

I suggest you read the sendmail manual page for further information about
the command line options...

Sincerely,
  Francesco

--
To contact me remove the "NOSPAM" part from my e-mail address.

0
Francesco
12/23/2003 5:52:31 PM
Syn <syn_NOSPAM_uw@hotmail.com> writes:
>We've got a Solaris 9 x86 box which sends notification mails and we
>would like those mails to be sent immediately. Currently there are
>sitting in the queue a few minutes and then they get sent. I didn't
>configure anything differently no that box. And sendmail is running as
>the following:
>My question now is: how do I configure sendmail to send immediately mails ?

Is the load average high?  If the load average is within a certain range
sendmail will queue the mail rather than attempt to deliver immediately.

The range is defined in the sendmail.cf file.

Good luck

Mark Hittinger
bugs@pu.net
0
bugs
12/23/2003 10:16:03 PM
Syn <syn_NOSPAM_uw@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<3FE83FC0.7040405@hotmail.com>...
> Hello,
>
> We've got a Solaris 9 x86 box which sends notification mails and we
> would like those mails to be sent immediately. Currently there are
> sitting in the queue a few minutes and then they get sent. I didn't
> configure anything differently no that box. And sendmail is running as
> the following:
>
>   root   282     1  0   Dec 21 ?        0:01 /usr/lib/sendmail -bd -q15m
>     smmsp   283     1  0   Dec 21 ?        0:00 /usr/lib/sendmail -Ac -q15m
>
> My question now is: how do I configure sendmail to send immediately mails ?
>
> Regards

Unless your notification system puts mail on the sendmail queue with the flag
for queue mode only  " -Odq " , your mail delivery should be attempted
immediately .  Try to increase the LogLevel in /etc/mail/sendmail.cf
to determine if you first delivery attempt is rejected and the mail sits in
the queue for that reason.

   increase  LogLevel to  LogLevel=15  and study the /var/adm/messages
   or /var/log/syslog  file ( where ever you have configured syslog to
   dump the sendmail messages )  and try to see  why the initial delivery
   attempt fails.

  //Lars
0
lars

Start sendmail to send mail immediately
Hi! how can I launch sendmail in demon mode so that it sends mails immediately, and not after a time interval, like with -q1m for example? Does /usr/sbin/sendmail -L sm-mta -bd do the trick? And, what exactly is a " MSP queue runner"? I don't understand that... thanx! -- Michael r-znvy: zvpunry.wryqra jro.qr (chg gur "@" jurer vg svgf...) ab fcnz cyrnfr Sendmail will send the mail immediately. If it can't, it queues it. You want the queues to get run - perhaps every 15,20 or 30 minutes. Mail in the queue is there because it COULDN'T get delivered i...

How to send mail w/o sendmail running in Solaris 10
Can we send email without "sendmail" process running in Solaris 10 ? I know we can do it in Solaris 8 using SMTP via the mail relay host. We tried it in our Solaris 10 (118833-22) server and received the following error : # atlantis@scubadiving.com Connecting to [127.0.0.1] via relay... atlantis@scubadiving.com ... Deferred: Connection refused by [127.0.0.1] Our sendmail version is 8.13.4. Any idea how we can trouble shoot this ? Thanks, Bill underh20.scubadiving@gmail.com writes: >Can we send email without "sendmail" process running in Solaris 10 ? I >know w...

How to send mail with the sendmail processes OFF in Solaris 10
Our Solaris 10 (release 01/06) server is running sendmail v. 8.13.8. We need to shut down SMTP and to kill the 2 sendmail processes below but we also need to send mail from the server. Does anyone know how to achieve this ? Thanks, Bill $ ps -ef | grep senamil root 1161 1 0 Oct 05 ? 0:44 /usr/lib/sendmail - bd -q15m smmsp 1162 1 0 Oct 05 ? 0:04 /usr/lib/sendmail - Ac -q15m underh20.scubadiving@gmail.com writes: >Our Solaris 10 (release 01/06) server is running sendmail v. 8.13.8. >We need to shut down SMTP and to kill the 2 sendmail proce...

sending mail via ISP replay server (solaris, sendmail)
I am running Solaris 10 with sendmail version 8.13 How can I configure sendmail to send email out of my solaris server via my ISP's relay server. The outgoing mail server of my isp is smtp.comcast.net ..incoming is mail.comcast.net and my email is myemail@comcast.com. Thnk you very much you want to look at the SMART HOST section in your sendmail.mc file Cheers Buff Z wrote: > I am running Solaris 10 with sendmail version 8.13 > How can I configure sendmail to send email out of my solaris server via > my ISP's relay server. The outgoing mail server of my isp is > smtp.c...

Sendmail delivers mail locally instead of sending it to other domain / Solaris 9
Hi, I found a few old postings but they were not very helpful. Trying to configure Sendmail that came preinstalled with Solaris 9 - to send messages to my e-mail. Right now it delivers each message locally. ----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors ----- koracd@saic-dc.com (reason: 553 5.3.5 system config error) ----- Transcript of session follows ----- 553 5.3.5 mailhost config error: mail loops back to me (MX problem?) 554 5.3.5 Local configuration error The mailhost /etc/hosts is the localbox I am trying to send mail from. Thanks Dusan On Jun 29, 11:46 am, Du...

Newbie Question
Can we send email without "sendmail" process running in Solaris 10 ? I know we can do it in Solaris 8 using SMTP via the mail relay host. We tried it in our Solaris 10 (118833-22) server and received the following error : # atlantis@scubadiving.com Connecting to [127.0.0.1] via relay... atlantis@scubadiving.com ... Deferred: Connection refused by [127.0.0.1] Our sendmail version is 8.13.4. Any idea how we can trouble shoot this ? Thanks, Bill In article <1161970635.838296.15020@b28g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>, underh20.scubadiving@gmail.com wrote: > Can we send email...

How to send mail w/o sendmail running in Solaris 10
Can we send email without "sendmail" process running in Solaris 10 ? I know we can do it in Solaris 8 using SMTP via the mail relay host. We tried it in our Solaris 10 (118833-22) server and received the following error : # atlantis@scubadiving.com Connecting to [127.0.0.1] via relay... atlantis@scubadiving.com ... Deferred: Connection refused by [127.0.0.1] Our sendmail version is 8.13.4. Any idea how we can trouble shoot this ? Thanks, Bill underh20.scubadiving@gmail.com wrote: > Can we send email without "sendmail" process running in Solaris 10 ? I > know ...

Hello all, I am setting up a very secure Red Hat Enterprise Linux Advanced Server version 4 update 6 server. My sendmail version is 8.13.1. My mail server is a Windows 2003 Server with Exchange 2003 with its patches. They are both on the same subnet. DNS is on and it will resolve the mail server's name and IP. SSH, SCP, SFTP, and such tools are the only networkable protocols on. NFS if off, MOUNTD is off, PORTMAP is off, and such. Until just recently sendmail was off on the RHEL server as part of the hardening procedure. However part of the auditing requirements is for a mail messag...

sending mail using Unix mail program from Sicstus Prolog
Forgive me if this is a newbie question. I am looking for a simple way to send email using sicstus prolog. The closest thing that i have found to a solution is using system() to access the Unix mail command. The problem that i am having is coming up with a way to specify the command in a dynamic way. I need to pass system() an atom, if i am not mistaken, but i don't know how to do it. I am looking for something like: mail(Subject, Recipient, Body) :- system('mail -s Subject Recipient <Body'),!. So, my question is, how do i generate the command to pass to system? Sincerely, ...

hi this is sasidhar, we have CentOS5 with default sendmail configuration. Initially it is sending mails to gmail, yahoo etc. last few days it is not sending mails to yahoo. In maillog I observed that for yahoo mails the stat value is deferred. I tried everything by browsing google but I didn't find any solution to this problem. Finally I came here with lots of hope. In mail queue there are more than 1 lack, most of them yahoo, rediff etc. For gmail it is not giving any problem every mail is going. please give any suggestions to solve this problem. Thanks, sasidhar. On 11/5/2009 11:...

Sendmail cannot send my mail
I am on a typical home user setup (dialup connection, SMTP server listens on exotic port 25000 and I need to enter a password to connect to the server). The various mailers I have used - outlook, outlook express, mozilla mail - have no problems sending my mail successfully. But when I try to use sendmail all I get is something like: Nov 22 18:56:51 turki sendmail[28724]: iAL4OmF22670: to=cga2001@eml.cc, ctladdr=gavron (500/500), delay=1+19:32:03, xdelay=00:00:10, mailer=relay, pri=815114, relay=b.mx.mailbarn.net. [66.54.152.36], dsn=4.0.0, stat=Defer red: Connection refused by b.mx.mailbarn...

sendmail for only sending mail
hello, i want to be able to use sendmail to just send mail from a pipe... nothing more than that (meaning, no need for handling queue, etc.) so far, any linux i logged in to could do this by doing: # /usr/sbin/sendmail address@domain.com .... Type in message using headers etc .. and that's it, the message would be sent. however, in my fresh fedora installation, i cannot make sendmail terminate... it accepts input from std input, but "." does not send the message nor does ^D, nothing. i can't find in sendmail.cf a mention of "termination symbol". any ideas? (i thou...

sendmail only send mails
Hello, I managed to upgrade to sendmail 8.12.9 tonight. Sending out emails fine, but cannot receive email from outside. I am behind a router (ADSL dialup). I use Yahoo account to do the test, till now it doesn't show any error messages about the email sent to my host. I set an entry for MX record in the dynamic DNS's website. I also have the following sendmail.mc: divert(-1) dnl This is the sendmail macro config file. If you make changes to this file, dnl you need the sendmail-cf rpm installed and then have to generate a dnl new /etc/mail/sendmail.cf by running the following comman...

Hi there, It seems send mail doesn't send mail to external mail account in my FreeBSD 4.8 BOX. However, I'm able to receive mail from external mail, such as yahoo, hotmail account. My config is: FreeBSD 4.8 ISP: bell Sympatico high speed with dynamic IP address. SMTP port is enabled on the router/firewall. Can anyone help? bluesnow#mail -v calvin2k_cn@yahoo.com Subject: This is a test. Do you hear me? EOT calvin2k_cn@yahoo.com... Connecting to [127.0.0.1] via relay... 220 bluesnow.gotdns.com ESMTP Sendmail 8.12.8p1/8.12.8; Thu, 26 Jun 2003 17:14:51 -0400 (EDT) &...

Sendmail authentificates, client cann still send mails with fake "Mail From:" tag
hello, i've just finished my first AUTH sendmail configuration, client cann authentificate himself via LOGIN/PLAIN with TLS. I've noticed though that sendmail doesn't pose any restraints regarding the mail from: tag. lets say my domain is test.de, my loginname ist alex now i cand send mails from arbitrary name@ test.de...actually from arbitrary name @ arbitrary domain :) Am i missing something here ? what i would like is: user authentificates -> he is allowed to send mail only with the prior stipulated address (his address) Thanks! Regards, Alex alexThor wrote: > hell...

Cannot send mail from solaris 7.
I am a complete newbie in sendmail. So bare with me if I ask stupid questions or point me to some beginner's documentations. Our organization uses MS exchange as the mail server to handle all incoming and outgoing emails. I am trying to get a solais box to be able to send emails out. How can I configure sendmail so that it could route the mails to our exchange mail server? I tried send mail to myself@localhost, it went through fine. But when I tried send mail to myself@exchange-mail-server.ourdomain, I got the following in /var/mail: ----- The following addresses had permanent fatal e...

send mail without.. sendmail ?
It seems, in order to send mail off my ftp server, that I must run sendmail as a daemon process even if I dont want a mailer daemon running? Is there a way to tell sendmail: "Hey, I dont want you sitting on port 25. Just grab the stuff that has accumulated in /var/spool/*que, find the MX record for the recipient, and send it." ? I dont know anything about configuring sendmail, other than it's more than I can handle as a part time admin. Thanks, bl8n8r bad_knee <bl8n8r@yahoo.com> wrote: > It seems, in order to send mail off my ftp server, that I must run > sen...

How to configure sendmail to send mails
FUP from comp.lang.python Am Donnerstag, 5. September 2013 15:38:25 UTC+2 schrieb Ferrous Cranus: > =CE=A3=CF=84=CE=B9=CF=82 5/9/2013 4:29 =CE=BC=CE=BC, =CE=BF/=CE=B7 feedth= etroll =CE=AD=CE=B3=CF=81=CE=B1=CF=88=CE=B5: >>> uses DoveCot as enaled mail server but i have no idea how to >>> setip up to work. >>> i cannot connect to it via my python script. >> OK, I should have been more exact: >> To send mails you need a "smtp-server" (MTA - Mail Transfer Agent, >> Message Transport Agent) like postfix, exim, sendmail, ... >...

unable to send mail from UNIX
Hi, I own mac OSX. I am learing scripting language using bash. I tried to send a sample mail to my yahoo and gmail account using mail and mailx, but I could not. Here is the command that I used. mailx -s "Subject" "receiver@yahoo.com" < output.txt Do I have to configure these programs before I can send emails? thanks in advance for your help. Papu. ...

Problem to send out the mails with SENDMAIL
Hi, am using RedHat 9 and sendmail. I can send mail to internal box of the same Linux station. a have problem to send mail out of office by using another smtp server of company wich is connected to internet. my DNS configuration work fine. I can ping my smtp server and connect to smtp port (all work fine) I think that a problem is around "sendmail.cf" or "sendmail.mc" The sendmail log file informe that the messages sended are queued. I am using command line to test (mail) you can find my configuration file bellow : can somone help me ? Thanks a lot for your help @ns +...

Send mail script step
I have a file CLASSES with the classes of a school and a file STUDENTS with the students of the shool. The two files are related with the Class_ID field. I have a layout with the data from one record of the CLASS file and a portal showing all the students in that class. I want to use a script to sent e-mails to all the students in that class (assuming that there is a e-mail address field in students file). If I use the "Use all Recordn in found set" flag the mail is sent to all the studends of the school and not only to the students of that class. If I use "Use the current rec...

Sendmail Delay Sending Mail
Hi, I hope someone can help me. I have spent a few days going through other posts concerning delays in sendmail but none of the suggestions seem to help me. Heres my problem. I have a Redhat 9 Linux server running sendmail 8.12.8 and my server needs to send a high volume of mail from php scripts. Previously I had my sendmail set to queue only and the scripts ran fast and the q went up quickly but the mail got sent. Something must have changed in the configuration or somewhere on the server as now when I run the scripts they take up to a minute to return the mail status to the script so th...

Sendmail refuses to send mail
Hi, only recently have I started using sendmail (8.11) on a RedHat 7.1 linux machine. Up till now I've only been able to receive e-mail (both local and remote). Sending e-mail to a valid e-mail address stops with a dsn 4.0.0 and "no route to host", even though I can ping the domain in the e-mail address. Traceroute however is unable to come up with an answer. What do I do wrong? Any place I can find a clear description of what is happening? Thanks in advance! --------------= Posted using GrabIt =---------------- ------= Binary Usenet downloading made easy =--------- -= ...

Web resources about - Sendmail not sending mails immediately - comp.unix.solaris

Territorial changes of Poland immediately after World War II - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The territorial changes of Poland after World War II were very extensive. In 1945, following the Second World War , Poland's borders were redrawn ...

Report: Facebook Search Engine Would Immediately Capture 25 Percent Of Market
If Facebook were to launch its own search engine right now, it would immediately attract nearly one-quarter of that sector and become the second-most-used ...

3 ways to immediately improve your Facebook mobile app install ads
The app economy has grown exponentially in recent years. While there is still tremendous untapped potential in the market, the “app bubble” has ...

Murray Urges GOP Leadership to Pass VAWA Immediately - YouTube
U.S. Senator Patty Murray (D-WA) spoke on the Senate floor in support of the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA). Specifically, Murray discussed ...

Usada ‘immediately correct the false suggestion’ relating to Floyd Mayweather doping claims
Floyd Mayweather received an injection of saline and vitamins on the eve of his superfight against Manny Pacquiao, the United States Anti-Doping ...

First person to buy an iPhone 6 in Perth immediately drops it during TV interview
It's always best to be calm when you're handling something precious - as the first Perth man to buy an iPhone 6 found out this morning.

Coalition announces internet filter ... and immediately backs down
Coalition makes embarrassing backdown from a commitment that it would require internet service providers to censor "adult content".

Women with ovarian cancer symptoms not immediately being referred to specialists: study
Almost half of women diagnosed with ovarian cancer presented to a GP with symptoms at least twice before being referred to a specialist, a new ...

Shane Watson announces retirement from Test cricket, effective immediately
Shane Watson says a realisation he no longer has the intense drive needed to recapture his best Test form, and a belief he would be hindering ...

Hawthorn president Andrew Newbold resigns effective immediately
Hawthorn president Andrew Newbold has resigned from his position, effective immediately.