f



Session break (terminate) command

Does anyone know of a session break command for a console session?
When I'm connected via serial console (ttymon) to a server and my
console session locks up or hangs, I'm looking for a break command
(something equivalent to '^]' with telnet).   Is there a break
sequence for ttymon?

Any help would be appreciated.

0
barry.cox (1)
2/23/2007 3:24:45 AM
comp.unix.solaris 26002 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

5 Replies
1670 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 9

On 2007-02-23, barry.cox@gmail.com <barry.cox@gmail.com> wrote:
> Does anyone know of a session break command for a console session?

You can send a BREAK over a serial line (i.e. RS-232). Your terminal
should be able to generate one. (Please note that a BREAK is not a
character or a sequence of characters but a special signal on a serial
line.)

If you are using a VT220 or compatible, you'll get a BREAK by pressing F5.
If your serial line is connected to another computer, your terminal
emulator will be able to this. In case of tip(1), the sequence ~# will
do the trick. If you are using kermit, type the escape character during
a connection and select B to send a BREAK signal.

Andreas.
0
comp
2/23/2007 7:03:39 AM
On 2007-02-23 07:03:39 +0000, 
comp.unix.solaris@expires-on-2007-03-03.usenet.andreas-borchert.de   
(Andreas F. Borchert) said:
> 
> You can send a BREAK over a serial line (i.e. RS-232). Your terminal
> should be able to generate one. (Please note that a BREAK is not a
> character or a sequence of characters but a special signal on a serial
> line.)

That may not be what you want, however: by default that will take the 
machine into OBP if you are talking to the console...

--tim

0
Tim
2/23/2007 8:00:00 AM
On 2007-02-23, Tim Bradshaw <tfb@tfeb.org> wrote:
> On 2007-02-23 07:03:39 +0000, 
> comp.unix.solaris@expires-on-2007-03-03.usenet.andreas-borchert.de   
> (Andreas F. Borchert) said:
>> 
>> You can send a BREAK over a serial line (i.e. RS-232). Your terminal
>> should be able to generate one. (Please note that a BREAK is not a
>> character or a sequence of characters but a special signal on a serial
>> line.)
>
> That may not be what you want, however: by default that will take the 
> machine into OBP if you are talking to the console...

.... if it is /dev/ttya, and if there is no Sun keyboard connected
to it, and if you haven't invoked �kbd -a disable� nor added
�KEYBOARD_ABORT=disable� to /etc/default/kbd. (See kbd(1) for
more options.)

Andreas.
0
comp
2/23/2007 1:34:23 PM
barry.cox@gmail.com wrote:
> Does anyone know of a session break command for a console session?
> When I'm connected via serial console (ttymon) to a server and my
> console session locks up or hangs, I'm looking for a break command
> (something equivalent to '^]' with telnet).   Is there a break
> sequence for ttymon?

No, none that I'm aware of.  Are you sure it's ttymon hanging and not a
program within?  Always try ^C and ^\.  

-- 
Darren Dunham                                           ddunham@taos.com
Senior Technical Consultant         TAOS            http://www.taos.com/
Got some Dr Pepper?                           San Francisco, CA bay area
         < This line left intentionally blank to confuse you. >
0
Darren
2/23/2007 5:06:01 PM
barry.cox@gmail.com writes:
>
>Does anyone know of a session break command for a console session?
>When I'm connected via serial console (ttymon) to a server and my
>console session locks up or hangs, I'm looking for a break command
>(something equivalent to '^]' with telnet).   Is there a break
>sequence for ttymon?
>

If you're logged in, ttymon is not involved.  It issues the 'login: '
prompt and collects your login name, but after that ttymon execs login.
Login, in turn, prompts for and collects your password, and then execs
your shell.  So it's just your shell (and child processes) talking to
you on the console.

You can try pressing Ctrl-Q (aka XON), in case the tty driver thought
you asserted flow control with a Ctrl-S (aka XOFF).  Other than that,
your best hope for getting a new login prompt is to log into the machine
through the network or another terminal port and kill your shell.

When your shell quits, init sees the process went away and spawns ttymon
again, according to the instructions in /etc/inittab.

If you can't log in by other means, then you may have to halt Solaris
by sending the break signal or typing the characters that form the
alternate abort sequence.

  -Greg
-- 
Do NOT reply via e-mail.
Reply in the newsgroup.
0
gerg
2/24/2007 2:10:44 AM
Reply: