ssh_exchange_identification: Connection closed by remote host (Solaris 10)

Hello Madam/Sir,

Our server is running Solaris 10.  There was an usual incident where
user can't get to this server via ssh.
The following error appears when trying to ssh to the server :

# ssh user1@dive.borneo.com

I ran the following command and got the output about ssh connection
errors.

# ssh -v dive.borneo.com
Sun_SSH_1.1.3, SSH protocols 1.5/2.0, OpenSSL 0x0090704f
debug1: Rhosts Authentication disabled, originating port will not be
trusted.
debug1: ssh_connect: needpriv 0
debug1: Connecting to dive.borneo.com  [10.22.30.250] port 22.
debug1: Connection established.
debug1: identity file /.ssh/identity type -1
debug1: identity file /.ssh/id_rsa type -1
debug1: identity file /.ssh/id_dsa type -1
debug1: Calling cleanup 0x34894(0x0)

There's no change in the server or in the ssh config files.
I had to do "svcadm refresh ssh" to restart the SSH process and allow
the remote ssh in the server again.
Any idea how this problem happened and how to resolve it once and for
all ?

Thx,

Bill

underh20 <underh20.scubadiving@gmail.com> wrote:
> # ssh user1@dive.borneo.com

The SSH server on dive.borneo.com is crashing for some reason.

> There's no change in the server or in the ssh config files.
> I had to do "svcadm refresh ssh" to restart the SSH process and allow

What was the state of the service?  Was it in maintenance mode?

> Any idea how this problem happened and how to resolve it once and for
> all ?

Are you able to cause the bad behaviour over again?  What does 'truss' on
the misbehaving sshd show?

--
Brandon Hume    - hume -> BOFH.Ca, http://WWW.BOFH.Ca/
On Wed, 28 Sep 2011 13:17:10 +0000, hume.spamfilter wrote:

> underh20 <underh20.scubadiving@gmail.com> wrote:
>> # ssh user1@dive.borneo.com
>> ssh_exchange_identification: Connection closed by remote host
>
> The SSH server on dive.borneo.com is crashing for some reason.
>
>> There's no change in the server or in the ssh config files. I had to do
>> "svcadm refresh ssh" to restart the SSH process and allow
>
> What was the state of the service?  Was it in maintenance mode?
>
>> Any idea how this problem happened and how to resolve it once and for
>> all ?
>
> Are you able to cause the bad behaviour over again?  What does 'truss' on
> the misbehaving sshd show?

You forgot to ask him to check the logs ..... :-)

--
	Bruce
"The internet is a huge and diverse community and not every one is friendly"

0
bruce53 (16)
9/28/2011 5:16:51 PM
On 09/28/11 01:16 PM, Bruce D Porter wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Sep 2011 13:17:10 +0000, hume.spamfilter wrote:
>
>> underh20<underh20.scubadiving@gmail.com>  wrote:
>>> Any idea how this problem happened and how to resolve it once and for
>>> all ?
>>
>> Are you able to cause the bad behaviour over again?  What does 'truss' on
>> the misbehaving sshd show?
>
> You forgot to ask him to check the logs ..... :-)

Check for hacking attempts, trying to guess passwords, which would
trigger sshd's MaxStartups feature and stop accepting connections.

A workaround is to change MaxStartups option, or block the IPs that are
trying to hack into the server.

Restarting sshd would temporarily "fix" it as the counters would be reset.
0
delrio (67)
9/28/2011 8:41:50 PM
hume.spamfilter@bofh.ca writes:

>underh20 <underh20.scubadiving@gmail.com> wrote:
>> # ssh user1@dive.borneo.com
>> ssh_exchange_identification: Connection closed by remote host

>The SSH server on dive.borneo.com is crashing for some reason.

Or protected with tcp-wrappers (possibly issues with the nameservice)

Or an issue with the disk (typically connection will be accepted
but the first attempt to visit the disk will cause the deamon
to die)

Casper
Casper.Dik2 (318)

Sharing DSL Connection
Hi All, How exactly would I go about sharing a DSL connection with two computers? One is a PC running Windows NT Workstation 4.0, and the other a system running FreeBSD 5.2.1 (Unix). What kind of equipment will I need? What will I need to configure? Any response to this will be *greatly* appreciated. Thanks, Jeff "Jeffrey O'Neal" <prologic@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:%O2Bd.4026$JC2.1176@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net... > Hi All, > > How exactly would I go about sharing a DSL connection with two computers? > One is a PC running Windows NT Works...

Connection hangs after trying to open www page
Hello, all! I'm using PPP 2.4.4b1, Slackware Linux 10.2, kernel 2.4.31, and PPTP 1.7.0. After connection to pptp server is established, i'm trying to ping some remote host, and it's ok. Then, when I'm trying to load some page in browser, link immediately goes down. I've tried to connect with and without compressions, result is the same (when with compression, vj used). Also tried 'asyncmap 000a0000', 'default-asyncmap' and 'crtscts'. In Windows XP it all goes smoothly. LQR is not being used, pppd rejects it. Maybe some hints on how t...

remote printer with dynamic ip-adress
dear aix gurus, a few of my customer have access via adsl/vpn to my aix 5.2 based apps. for printing they have ms-lpd services activated on their clients. now each time they access our aix boxes via adsl/vpn they get a different ip adresse out from a pool. how can i send print output to them as they always do have different ip adresses ? i use remote printing on my aix box and i have to define the host, i want the printjob to be sent. thanx for a hint tim "Tim Moor" <tim.moor@nospam.com> wrote in message news:d6g4u3$lg$1@atlas.ip-plus.net... > dear aix gurus, ...

ANN: eGenix mxODBC Connect Database Interface for Python 0.9.2 (beta)
________________________________________________________________________ ANNOUNCING eGenix.com mxODBC Connect Database Interface for Python Version 0.9.2 (beta) Our new client-server product for connecting Python applications to relational databases - from all major platforms This announcement is also available on our web-site for online reading: http://www.egenix.com/company/news/eGenix-mxODBC-Connect-0.9.2-beta.html ________________________________________________________________________ INTRO...

WiFi connection to ARMini
I want to make a WiFi internet connection to my ARMini I made some enquiries on the ARMini-support but nobody replied that had tried, so I concluded that I needed an adaptor via the ethernet port. I purchased a Netgear Universal WiFi Internet adaptor WNCE2001 which is a little flat thing with an ethernet port on one end. Following the instructions I connected this to a PC and, after I had changed the pc setting to "find DNS", was able to fill in the password for my wireless cable connection and it worked for the PC. I then plugged the ethernet cable from the adaptor int...

"connect" 2 databases in FMP5
Hi group, I work with FMP5 in Win2K and have 2 databases "connected" through a field with the same ID. One of these is a subset of the other. I have a button in both which opens the other database. I now would like to know how I can make the other database (which gets launched by the button-klick) to open on the same ID as already viewed in the first one. Thanks, Raimund. Schr´┐Żder Raimund <r.schroeder@aon.at> wrote: > I work with FMP5 in Win2K and have 2 databases "connected" through a field > with the same ID. > One of these is a subset of the other. &...

host ip and its loopback address
Hi, im setting some firewall rules for Samba Swat recently, and im using Ethereal for my packets sniffer, following is part of Ethereal output: No. Time Source Destination 110 3.068058 127.0.0.1 127.0.0.1 No. Time Source Destination 111 3.069289 192.168.1.2 192.168.1.2 my host's ip is 192.168.1.2, however, i can't understand the difference between a packet send from localhost to localhost and from 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.2, any ideas, thanks. On Tue, 09 May 2006 20:...

Shared library formats -- Solaris vs. Linux
Are the shared library formats compatible between Solaris and Linux? More precisely, if one builds a shared library for Solaris on x86 or amd64 that has no dependencies on any incompatible API's (say for instance it only calls malloc() or time() or similar vanilla Unix services), would it be reasonable to expect such a library to load and execute correctly under Linux? Thx, dk On 2005-04-29 02:09:26 -0400, "Dan Koren" <dankoren@yahoo.com> said: > > Are the shared library formats compatible between > Solaris and Linux? > > More precisely, if one b...

Problem shutting down 10.5.2 with Time Machine active
I am running 10.5.2 leopard, with time machine, on an Imac G4 (the hemispherical lamp base model). Seems generally good except for a couple of glitches. One is that the finder occasionally hangs and won't respond to mouse clicks, once it wouldn't even respond to force quit. The other is that if I try to shutdown, with multiple accounts in use, I first get the expected message about there are other users and I have to give the admin name and password. But when I do that, if TM is running, I sometimes get the reply that the user name or the password is invalid, even though I kn...

Colinux not connecting
Hi everyone, I've been wrestling around with this problem for a couple days. Any hints will be much appreciated!... What I've done: I've installed colinux and the Debian image on my XP machine. I'm trying to allow for colinux to connet to the network using my current ip address with a NAT setup. I have changed the XML configuration file, and changed some files in my colinux directory as laid out in the instructions. Problem: I loging with "root" and no password, but when i want to setup new software, it tells me it can't connect to Debian's website. My ...

connection timed out while connecting to localhost
I have two applications running on a same host- ssl_proxy and a http server. Once ssl_proxy recieves a message from a http client it connects to the http server locally. It then send the http request from client to the server and server's response back to the client. But in this setup I am facing a problem. SSL_prosy gets connection timed out error while connecting to the http server. It is connecting to the server via the loopback interface. I am using INET sockets. Can anyone tell me what might be the issue. This issue arises only if I have 2 interfaces configured. With a single interf...

isync (10.3.9) and Palm Tungsten sync pronlems
After running the battery right down on a Palm Tungsten (left it in a drawer for months), we've lost all the information on it. We recently attempted to resync using iSync but the dialog is suggesting that a sync will delete 555 entries from the laptop (which exactly the opposite of what we want to do). Is there any way of forcing the synchronization to go the other way? dale303@gmail.com wrote: > After running the battery right down on a Palm Tungsten (left it in a > drawer for months), we've lost all the information on it. > > We recently attempted to resync using iS...

MySQL connections over network
I am having a problem with MySQL. It has been running fine for months, but suddenly this morning connections from the webserver started timing out. Logging into the webserver and trying to connect with mysql would take 1-2min before it connected. Local connections using mysql are fine. Restarting the mysqld seems to fix the issue for a bit, but then it reoccurs. It is Ver 4.1.12-log There isn't any useful info in the log, it just says: "061012 17:04:36 mysqld ended 061012 17:04:56 mysqld started 061012 17:04:56 InnoDB: Started; log sequence number 0 1300880089" I'v...

Bush Internet TV remote / keyboard
Hi, I've just got hold of a Bush Internet TV, but without a remote / keyboard. I've found a good deal out there about booting these into RISC OS and a bit about there being a facility to add a PS/2 keyboard, but nothing specific. I have found the pads for the PS/2 keyboard socket, but I can't find the pinout anywhere. So I suppose I have a few questions: i) Can I get hold of a spare remote from somewhere for minimum cost? ii) How easy is it to add a ps/2 keyboard socket, and what is pinout? I'd be very grateful for any help. It seems there was a burst of enthusiasm for th...

Fw: Quick sync between two computers not connected to the internet
Meant to send it to the list, I appologize for any duplication. R, -Joe Wulf Senior IA Engineer/ISSE ProSync Technology Group, LLC ----- Forwarded Message ---- > From: Joe Wulf <joe_wulf@yahoo.com> > To: rgilbert88@comcast.net > Sent: Tue, March 23, 2010 7:37:41 PM > Subject: Re: [ntp:questions] Quick sync between two computers not connected to the internet > > Richard, Sir, I believe that there is a way. I've been in > environments where someone HAD set it up, it worked. I just don't know how > to do it and where I'm at, accuracy of time is...

SN#18599 Register with the Sun Connection Inventory Channel
SYSTEM NEWS FOR SUN USERS Vol 115 Issue 1 2007-09-03 Article 18599 from section "SysAdmin's Section" Helps Manage Your Products, Keeps You Up-to-Date Registering your products with the Sun Connection Inventory Channel can help you manage and organize your assets while being kept up-to-date on the latest product information. Tim Smith explains the registration procedure and how to use the Sun Connection Inventory Channel to coordinate your assets for maximum benefit in two Big Admin Sun Docs. Details at http://sun.systemnews...

Quick AutoCAD programming resource (remote)
The 'Four Dimensions' e-Programmer services Thank you for your continuing support and patronage. One of our premier programming services is the Four Dimension Technologies e-Programmer services. As the name indicates, the e-Programmer provides a service for AutoCAD users to gain access to a rapid AutoCAD GIS/Mapping programming source over the Internet. Picture this! You have a deadline to meet and there is a whole lot of project work to do. You have identified the CAD procedures to follow and hired the CAD operators to do the work. Now, they could have done it much fast...

1084 loose connection
The video connection on the back of the monitor (female RCA) is loose. Sometimes if the monitor is moved slightly, I'll lose the picture and have to reach back and "wiggle" the connector until the screen appears again. If I apply pressure to the right of the connector is fixes it immediately. This is a broken solder joint maybe? Old wires corroded and only 1 or to strands left making a connection? Is this an easy fix (can I get the freaking cover off with hand tools)? Thanks, Brian bjc wrote ... >The video connection on the back of the monitor (female RCA) is loose. ...

TCP Connection
Hi, I am a novice programmer. I am trying to write a server-client program as a personal project. I have googled my ass off but I can't seem to find usefull information about this. Can anyone help me find information on how to make a connection between a client and a server over 'the internets' using TCP. Thank you kindly, Zero. Full Name wrote: > Hi, > > I am a novice programmer. I am trying to write a server-client program > as a personal project. I have googled my ass off but I can't seem to > find usefull information about this. Can anyone help me find &g...

XPCE : action when closing a dialog
Hello I'd like to do an action when I close a dialog (saving a file for example when I click the upper right cross of the window). How can I manage it ? joel.foutelet@free.fr wrote: > Hello > I'd like to do an action when I close a dialog (saving a file for > example when I click the upper right cross of the window). > How can I manage it ? I'm sorry, I've just found after I posted : I have to add this instruction : send(D, done_message, and(message(@prolog, 'my_on_close'), message(@receiver,destroy))), ...

ssh_exchange_identification

Create DB2 USERS and Connect
Hi, Y'day one of my friend showed me how to connect to a Oracle database as SYSDBA, DBA etc I have DB2 UDB installed in Linux machine.Right now, I have a user WADI which has got some previliges on the tables. But I dont know how to connect as SYSDBA etc Now, in Linux what are the steps to 1.) Create users with a) SYSADM b) DBADM c) SYSCTRL d) SYSMAINT priveleges and then 2.)Connect to the database using the different Users E.g. In Oracle at login we can give as Connect as /sysdba what is the equivalent in DB2 UDB ? I usually give connect to dbna...

Safari with OS 10.2.8
1) I saw a post that said to use Firefox rather than Safari with OS 10.2.8, which I am doing. I recently went back to Safari, and some of the (static) graphics weren't right. Has anyone else experienced this. Because of this, I would agree with this recommendation. 2) Also, I am try to get by with 128 Meg RAM, as when I got my eMac I stupid thought, after being on a sys 7 machine with under 10 megs, and not using a computer for a couple of years--who could possibly want more than 100 megs of RAM? What a shock. I wish I had 1000 M = 1 G now, though I don't thing my eMac can even use m...

HP Laserjet 5M duplex printing on Mac OS 10.3.7
Though my Laserjet 5M comes with a duplexer, I am been unable to print anything double-sided from Mac OS 10.3.7. I made sure that my duplexer worked, because when I issue the self test on the Laserjet 5M, the test result is printed on both sides of the paper. On the other hand, no matter what setting I chose under OS 10.3.7, I can never get any document to print double-sided. I have: 1) Gone into printer set-up utility to configure the laserjet 5m printer. Selecting 'Show Info', I select Installable Options on the dropdown, and check Duplex Unit on the resulting dialog. 2) When ...

Tar command with certain option not working in Solaris ???
Hey all, I wrote a shell script to make backup. It uses tar command with the following option it works well with unix machine (I m on Debian Sarg ) but it throws the error "tar: a: unknown function modifier" Here is the verbatim of the script ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ #creat a tar file and add a file tar -cf $backup_tar filelist.txt for file in $list_of_files do # Here is where the script is breaking tar --append --file=$dest_dir $file done -------------------------------------------------...