ssh_exchange_identification: Connection closed by remote host (Solaris 10)

Hello Madam/Sir,

Our server is running Solaris 10.  There was an usual incident where
user can't get to this server via ssh.
The following error appears when trying to ssh to the server :

# ssh user1@dive.borneo.com

I ran the following command and got the output about ssh connection
errors.

# ssh -v dive.borneo.com
Sun_SSH_1.1.3, SSH protocols 1.5/2.0, OpenSSL 0x0090704f
debug1: Rhosts Authentication disabled, originating port will not be
trusted.
debug1: ssh_connect: needpriv 0
debug1: Connecting to dive.borneo.com  [10.22.30.250] port 22.
debug1: Connection established.
debug1: identity file /.ssh/identity type -1
debug1: identity file /.ssh/id_rsa type -1
debug1: identity file /.ssh/id_dsa type -1
debug1: Calling cleanup 0x34894(0x0)

There's no change in the server or in the ssh config files.
I had to do "svcadm refresh ssh" to restart the SSH process and allow
the remote ssh in the server again.
Any idea how this problem happened and how to resolve it once and for
all ?

Thx,

Bill

underh20 <underh20.scubadiving@gmail.com> wrote:
> # ssh user1@dive.borneo.com

The SSH server on dive.borneo.com is crashing for some reason.

> There's no change in the server or in the ssh config files.
> I had to do "svcadm refresh ssh" to restart the SSH process and allow

What was the state of the service?  Was it in maintenance mode?

> Any idea how this problem happened and how to resolve it once and for
> all ?

Are you able to cause the bad behaviour over again?  What does 'truss' on
the misbehaving sshd show?

--
Brandon Hume    - hume -> BOFH.Ca, http://WWW.BOFH.Ca/
On Wed, 28 Sep 2011 13:17:10 +0000, hume.spamfilter wrote:

> underh20 <underh20.scubadiving@gmail.com> wrote:
>> # ssh user1@dive.borneo.com
>> ssh_exchange_identification: Connection closed by remote host
>
> The SSH server on dive.borneo.com is crashing for some reason.
>
>> There's no change in the server or in the ssh config files. I had to do
>> "svcadm refresh ssh" to restart the SSH process and allow
>
> What was the state of the service?  Was it in maintenance mode?
>
>> Any idea how this problem happened and how to resolve it once and for
>> all ?
>
> Are you able to cause the bad behaviour over again?  What does 'truss' on
> the misbehaving sshd show?

You forgot to ask him to check the logs ..... :-)

--
	Bruce
"The internet is a huge and diverse community and not every one is friendly"

0
bruce53 (16)
9/28/2011 5:16:51 PM
On 09/28/11 01:16 PM, Bruce D Porter wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Sep 2011 13:17:10 +0000, hume.spamfilter wrote:
>
>> underh20<underh20.scubadiving@gmail.com>  wrote:
>>> Any idea how this problem happened and how to resolve it once and for
>>> all ?
>>
>> Are you able to cause the bad behaviour over again?  What does 'truss' on
>> the misbehaving sshd show?
>
> You forgot to ask him to check the logs ..... :-)

Check for hacking attempts, trying to guess passwords, which would
trigger sshd's MaxStartups feature and stop accepting connections.

A workaround is to change MaxStartups option, or block the IPs that are
trying to hack into the server.

Restarting sshd would temporarily "fix" it as the counters would be reset.
0
delrio (67)
9/28/2011 8:41:50 PM
hume.spamfilter@bofh.ca writes:

>underh20 <underh20.scubadiving@gmail.com> wrote:
>> # ssh user1@dive.borneo.com
>> ssh_exchange_identification: Connection closed by remote host

>The SSH server on dive.borneo.com is crashing for some reason.

Or protected with tcp-wrappers (possibly issues with the nameservice)

Or an issue with the disk (typically connection will be accepted
but the first attempt to visit the disk will cause the deamon
to die)

Casper
Casper.Dik2 (318)

Problem when multiple SCP connections in Solaris 10
We have two Solaris 10 servers (A & B) setup for sending files between them via SCP. The keys/hosts configuration are set up between the two servers. There's no problem when sending individual file between the two servers. However, when we are standing multiple files "cocncurrently" via shell script or commands from server A to server B, we are getting the following messages repeatedly. Some files got sent OK and some didn't go thru when the messages below appear, regardless of the size or type of these "unsent" files in server A : : : ssh_exc...

syslog to local host and remote log host in Solaris 10
We have the generic Solaris 10 syslog.conf file below. How does one modify this file to have the entries of /var/adm/messages, /var/log/ authlog and /var/log/syslog appear at the local server and also appear in the same three files at the remote log host ? Basically, we need local and remote logging of the same logs to take place. Thanks, Bill </etc/syslog.conf> # syslog configuration file. # # This file is processed by m4 so be careful to quote (`') names # that match m4 reserved words. Also, within ifdef's, arguments # containing commas must be quo...

Sun Solaris Certification
Dear all: I am wondering what will be the right decision regarding Sun Solaris Certification, should I take Solaris 9 certification or should I go for Solaris 10. As I am quiet new in the Solaris field, question arises in my mind, if I get training on Solaris 10, can I easily work on Solaris 9 or Solaris 8 environment ? If any company works on Solaris 9 boxes, whom he will give preference first, Solaris 9 Admin or Solaris 10 Admin, or it does not matter on Solaris version ? Thanks in advance. Best reagrds zaki <shamim.zaki@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1162158973.912696.111680...

Dear all, I'm experiencing a problem regarding SSH login on a Debian Etch server. Since a couple of days I often can't login anymore but get the following output: david@clash:~$ ssh -vvv xx***xx.de OpenSSH_4.3p2 Debian-9etch3, OpenSSL 0.9.8c 05 Sep 2006 debug1: Reading configuration data /etc/ssh/ssh_config debug1: Applying options for * debug2: ssh_connect: needpriv 0 debug1: Connecting to xx***xx.de [12.123.123.123] port 22. debug1: Connection established. debug1: identity file /home/david/.ssh/identity type -1 debug1: identity file /home/david/.ssh/id_rsa type -1 de...

some time when i login to my server using ssh it show me error like ssh jakarta ssh_exchange_identification: Connection closed by remote host thank you so much. > some time when i login to my server using ssh it show me error like > > ssh jakarta > ssh_exchange_identification: Connection closed by remote host > > thank you so much. I've seen this when TCP wrappers are enabled for SSHD, and the host you're connecting from is not found in /etc/hosts.allow On Oct 21, 2:20=A0pm, "er.verma" <24.ash...@gmail.com> wrote: > some time when i login to m...

How-to upgrade from Solaris 10 08/07 to Solaris 10 10/98
Hi, on a M4000 host... How can I upgrade from Solaris 10 08/07 to Solaris 10 10/98... we don't need Live upgrade... so OK boot cdrom -u is it OK? Regards. Hi, > on a M4000 host... How can I upgrade from Solaris 10 08/07 to Solaris > 10 10/98... we don't need Live upgrade... so is it OK this procedure? ... OK boot cdrom - nowin select upgrade .... do I must select networked system? or can I skeep it so when Solaris reboot use my "on-disk" configuration? Regards. ...

Why would a solaris 10 u3 not be upgradeable to solaris 10 u4?
Trying to upgrade to solaris 10 8/07 but not having much luck. my setup is a mirrored boot with a solaris 10 and solaris express installed on sparc. nothing to special. It will not upgrade my solaris 10 of CD or jumpstart. It sits on 0% Solaris 10 Software [Initializing... ] for about an hour then tells me its failed. Any ideas? ...

solaris 8 to solaris 10
Hi! I'm searching any suggestion about upgrade solaris 8 to solaris 10. All about this procedure. Problem? Tips? People said to erase all the mirror (disksuite). People said to install all the reccomended patch under solaris 8 and then migrate. People said......... Many thks for the help! I have some problem to do this procedure.... Jup wrote: > Hi! > I'm searching any suggestion about upgrade solaris 8 to solaris 10. > > All about this procedure. > Problem? > Tips? > > People said to erase all the mirror (disksuite). > People said to install all t...

solaris 9 AND solaris 10
hi *, Can <subject> be installed together on one sparc ultra 5? rthanks for any help. Yes. On two disks, easily. On one disk it's more involved, but IIRC is do-able, providing you slice things up properly and don't try to do things like share /, /usr etc. Alternatively, investigate LiveUpgrade which makes the whole process a lot easier. -Mark ...

solaris 8 to solaris 10
Hi, all, We are trying to upgrade our oracle database server which is running Oracle9i from Solaris 8 to Solaris 10, I will appraciate if any gurus had such experience to share to give me some suggestions or head up. Thanks a lot. So far, I know I will need to break the Sun Volume Manager controlled root mirror, and do the oracle excutable relink. Do I have to upgrade to Solaris 9 then to 10? ( I prefer to go to 10 directly ). Do I need to implement the latest recommended patch to Solaris 8 then upgrade? Thanks a lot for any advice In article <db922e37-d400-4239-aab0-29cb07fddb3d@t54g20...

Login problem: ssh_exchange_identification: Connection closed by remote host
Hello the error message ssh_exchange_identification: Connection closed by remote host is what I get, when I want to login to a server/login, that until now already has worked. When will this error message be printed? Ciao, Oliver On 2006-02-03, Oliver Bandel <oliver@first.in-berlin.de> wrote: > ssh_exchange_identification: Connection closed by remote host [...] > When will this error message be printed? The most common cause of this is when sshd drops a connection because it is denied by tcpwrappers (/etc/hosts.allow and /etc/hosts.deny). Another possible cause is that...

SN#20552 Running Solaris 8 and 9 Applications on Solaris 10 with Solaris Containers
SYSTEM NEWS FOR SUN USERS Vol 127 Issue 1 2008-09-01 Article 20552 from section "BigAdmin" BigAdmin XPerts Session The BigAdmin XPert sessions all BigAdmin community members to interact with experts who will answers questions for the whole community to see. In a recent session, Jeff Victor was the expert and the topic was, "Running Solaris 8 and 9 Applications on Solaris 10 with Solaris Containers". Jeff Victor authored the Sun BluePrints document "Solaris Containers Technology Architecture Guide", &qu...

Upgrading Solaris 10 11/06 to Solaris 10 08/07
Hello, normally when I install a new version of Solaris. I use a full automatic installation and call cfengine later on to do the system configuration. But at the moment I am in an environment where cfengine does not exist. So I would like to know if there is a way to tell Solaris that it should install the newest available version of the installed packages and new extra dependencies. Or is there any other update mechanism to lift a system from Solaris 10 11/06 to Solaris 10 08/07 without reinstalling it manually. Thomas Thomas Glanzmann <sithglan@stud.uni-erlangen.de> writes: ...

Jumpstart solaris 10 b69 and solaris 10 b72 on an Ultra 30
I am trying to jumpstart a Sun Ultra 30 using Solaris 10 b69 (b72 gives the same results) from a Linux jumpstart server. I have scripts for all this (soon to be release opensource!) but ...although I can get b55, beta5(b60) and b63 and b55 to work b63 and b72 do not work! since this is an Ultra 30 I went to http://sunsolve.sun.com/handbook_pub/Devices/Boot_PROM/BootPROM_Sun4u.html and ran Patch 105930-06 with no problems. Even now it does not boot. - bpgetfile shows all parameters can be retreived ok. - nfs mounts all work - pfinstall shows the profile is ok - I've checked the rule...

Web resources about - ssh_exchange_identification: Connection closed by remote host (Solaris 10) - comp.unix.solaris