ssh_exchange_identification: Connection closed by remote host (Solaris 10)

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Hello Madam/Sir,

Our server is running Solaris 10.  There was an usual incident where
user can't get to this server via ssh.
The following error appears when trying to ssh to the server :

# ssh user1@dive.borneo.com

I ran the following command and got the output about ssh connection
errors.

# ssh -v dive.borneo.com
Sun_SSH_1.1.3, SSH protocols 1.5/2.0, OpenSSL 0x0090704f
debug1: Rhosts Authentication disabled, originating port will not be
trusted.
debug1: ssh_connect: needpriv 0
debug1: Connecting to dive.borneo.com  [10.22.30.250] port 22.
debug1: Connection established.
debug1: identity file /.ssh/identity type -1
debug1: identity file /.ssh/id_rsa type -1
debug1: identity file /.ssh/id_dsa type -1
debug1: Calling cleanup 0x34894(0x0)

There's no change in the server or in the ssh config files.
I had to do "svcadm refresh ssh" to restart the SSH process and allow
the remote ssh in the server again.
Any idea how this problem happened and how to resolve it once and for
all ?

Thx,

Bill
0
Reply underh20.scubadiving (150) 9/28/2011 12:00:28 AM

See related articles to this posting

underh20 <underh20.scubadiving@gmail.com> wrote:
> # ssh user1@dive.borneo.com

The SSH server on dive.borneo.com is crashing for some reason.

> There's no change in the server or in the ssh config files.
> I had to do "svcadm refresh ssh" to restart the SSH process and allow

What was the state of the service?  Was it in maintenance mode?

> Any idea how this problem happened and how to resolve it once and for
> all ?

Are you able to cause the bad behaviour over again?  What does 'truss' on
the misbehaving sshd show?

--
Brandon Hume    - hume -> BOFH.Ca, http://WWW.BOFH.Ca/
0

On Wed, 28 Sep 2011 13:17:10 +0000, hume.spamfilter wrote:

> underh20 <underh20.scubadiving@gmail.com> wrote:
>> # ssh user1@dive.borneo.com
>> ssh_exchange_identification: Connection closed by remote host
>
> The SSH server on dive.borneo.com is crashing for some reason.
>
>> There's no change in the server or in the ssh config files. I had to do
>> "svcadm refresh ssh" to restart the SSH process and allow
>
> What was the state of the service?  Was it in maintenance mode?
>
>> Any idea how this problem happened and how to resolve it once and for
>> all ?
>
> Are you able to cause the bad behaviour over again?  What does 'truss' on
> the misbehaving sshd show?

You forgot to ask him to check the logs ..... :-)

--
	Bruce
"The internet is a huge and diverse community and not every one is friendly"

0
Reply bruce53 (16) 9/28/2011 5:16:51 PM

On 09/28/11 01:16 PM, Bruce D Porter wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Sep 2011 13:17:10 +0000, hume.spamfilter wrote:
>
>> underh20<underh20.scubadiving@gmail.com>  wrote:
>>> Any idea how this problem happened and how to resolve it once and for
>>> all ?
>>
>> Are you able to cause the bad behaviour over again?  What does 'truss' on
>> the misbehaving sshd show?
>
> You forgot to ask him to check the logs ..... :-)

Check for hacking attempts, trying to guess passwords, which would
trigger sshd's MaxStartups feature and stop accepting connections.

A workaround is to change MaxStartups option, or block the IPs that are
trying to hack into the server.

Restarting sshd would temporarily "fix" it as the counters would be reset.
0
Reply delrio (67) 9/28/2011 8:41:50 PM

hume.spamfilter@bofh.ca writes:

>underh20 <underh20.scubadiving@gmail.com> wrote:
>> # ssh user1@dive.borneo.com
>> ssh_exchange_identification: Connection closed by remote host

>The SSH server on dive.borneo.com is crashing for some reason.

Or protected with tcp-wrappers (possibly issues with the nameservice)

Or an issue with the disk (typically connection will be accepted
but the first attempt to visit the disk will cause the deamon
to die)

Casper
Reply Casper.Dik2 (318) 9/29/2011 7:31:12 AM
comp.unix.solaris 25776 articles. 87 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Problem when multiple SCP connections in Solaris 10
We have two Solaris 10 servers (A & B) setup for sending files between them via SCP. The keys/hosts configuration are set up between the two servers. There's no problem when sending individual file between the two servers. However, when we are standing multiple files "cocncurrently" via shell script or commands from server A to server B, we are getting the following messages repeatedly. Some files got sent OK and some didn't go thru when the messages below appear, regardless of the size or type of these "unsent" files in server A : : : ssh_exc...

some time when i login to my server using ssh it show me error like ssh jakarta ssh_exchange_identification: Connection closed by remote host thank you so much. > some time when i login to my server using ssh it show me error like > > ssh jakarta > ssh_exchange_identification: Connection closed by remote host > > thank you so much. I've seen this when TCP wrappers are enabled for SSHD, and the host you're connecting from is not found in /etc/hosts.allow On Oct 21, 2:20=A0pm, "er.verma" <24.ash...@gmail.com> wrote: > some time when i login to m...

Dear all, I'm experiencing a problem regarding SSH login on a Debian Etch server. Since a couple of days I often can't login anymore but get the following output: david@clash:~$ ssh -vvv xx***xx.de OpenSSH_4.3p2 Debian-9etch3, OpenSSL 0.9.8c 05 Sep 2006 debug1: Reading configuration data /etc/ssh/ssh_config debug1: Applying options for * debug2: ssh_connect: needpriv 0 debug1: Connecting to xx***xx.de [12.123.123.123] port 22. debug1: Connection established. debug1: identity file /home/david/.ssh/identity type -1 debug1: identity file /home/david/.ssh/id_rsa type -1 de...

Login problem: ssh_exchange_identification: Connection closed by remote host
Hello the error message ssh_exchange_identification: Connection closed by remote host is what I get, when I want to login to a server/login, that until now already has worked. When will this error message be printed? Ciao, Oliver On 2006-02-03, Oliver Bandel <oliver@first.in-berlin.de> wrote: > ssh_exchange_identification: Connection closed by remote host [...] > When will this error message be printed? The most common cause of this is when sshd drops a connection because it is denied by tcpwrappers (/etc/hosts.allow and /etc/hosts.deny). Another possible cause is that...

lenny1:5.1p1-5 revers-PFW: ssh_exchange_identification: Connection closed by remote host
Hi, openssh-server 1:5.1p1-5 (64Bit) is not able to make revers portforwarding. The client who want so connect through the tunnel: rex5:~# ssh -vvv -p 2239 192.168.0.11 OpenSSH_5.1p1 Debian-5, OpenSSL 0.9.8g 19 Oct 2007 debug1: Reading configuration data /etc/ssh/ssh_config debug1: Applying options for * debug2: ssh_connect: needpriv 0 debug1: Connecting to 192.168.0.11 [192.168.0.11] port 2239. debug1: Connection established. debug1: permanently_set_uid: 0/0 debug1: identity file /root/.ssh/identity type -1 debug1: identity file /root/.ssh/id_rsa type -1 debug1: identity file /root/.ssh/id_d...

Remote SSH problem
Hi everyone, I have been reading every post that I could find about this particular error message: ssh_exchange_identification: Connection closed by remote host I'm working with an external client who wants to grab some files from us via SFTP. I set up a Solaris 9 server with "ChrootSSH" from here: http://chrootssh.sourceforge.net/index.php I compiled it locally with the following options: ../configure --with-pam --disable-suid-ssh --without-rsh --with- lastlog=/var/adm/lastlog --sysconfdir=/usr/local/etc/openssh --prefix=/ usr/local --without-privsep-user--without-privsep-...

syslog to local host and remote log host in Solaris 10
We have the generic Solaris 10 syslog.conf file below. How does one modify this file to have the entries of /var/adm/messages, /var/log/ authlog and /var/log/syslog appear at the local server and also appear in the same three files at the remote log host ? Basically, we need local and remote logging of the same logs to take place. Thanks, Bill </etc/syslog.conf> # syslog configuration file. # # This file is processed by m4 so be careful to quote (`') names # that match m4 reserved words. Also, within ifdef's, arguments # containing commas must be quo...

connection closed by remote host
Hi, I look after some IRIX boxes, which used to connect to some servers running HPUX 11i via ssh. This all worked fine, until the IRIX boxes were rebooted. Now they cannot connect to the HPUX machines, which gives the reply: OpenSSH_3.7.1p2, SSH protocols 1.5/2.0, OpenSSL 0.9.6j 10 Apr 2003 debug1: Reading configuration data /etc/ssh/ssh_config debug1: Connecting to hpc [193.61.107.76] port 22. debug1: Connection established. debug1: identity file /.ssh/identity type -1 debug1: identity file /.ssh/id_rsa type -1 debug1: identity file /.ssh/id_dsa type -1 ssh_exchange_identification: Connect...

connection closed by remote host
Hello, When I ran this command quote rcmd dlyjob dly(61) with ftp from my pc to AS400 I have this error message after 60 secondes Connection closed by remote host I dont know why because my attibut in CHGFTPA is 300 secondes do you have an idee please ? ...

Connection closed by remote host #2
I have a problem with SSH. There are two machines say host and target. Host is running the sshd and target is trying to connect to it. However sometimes I am getting this message on the target ssh_exchange_identification: Connection closed by remote host IC_SFTPConnect aborting - SSH Connect failed However if I reboot the target the error goes away. Any help will be appreciated. Regards, GJ ...

Connection closed by remote host #3
Hello, I have strange problems with connecting to remote machine running suse enterprise 9.0 sp3 using ssh After server is restarted, everything works fine. Then, after 5-6 days, sshd starts to drop incoming connections. Server has IP from private network range, i connect to router with public IP, port 222, which is then forwarded to my server (port 22) Sometimes, ssh starts to work, but 10 minutes later, again, connections are refused. Here is log i've got at client side: hts-fw:~# ssh xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx -p 222 -vvv OpenSSH_4.3p2 Debian-9, OpenSSL 0.9.8c 05 Sep 2006 debug1: Reading confi...

"Connection closed by remote host"
Hello Everybody, I'm having a very strange issue when trying to connect to an OpenSSH server running on my Debian box (used as a firewall/nat). When I connect from my laptop (Windows XP, putty) I get the following message: "Server unexpectedly closed network connection." When I use the ssh in mingw or cygwin i get "Connection closed by remote host." I can connect fine from my main desktop (Windows 7, putty), and from my mother's laptop (Ubuntu). The following line shows up in my /var/log/auth.log when I try to connect: Oct 5 21:41:06 ***** sshd[8693]:...

openssh cygwin: connection closed by remote host
Hello, I have installed OpenSSH V4.2 on a windows 98 box running cygwin so that I can log in to it remotely. I am able to do so, but I have noticed that after I log in/out say 5 or so complete round trips ( by round trip I mean logging in then logging out), I get the following message when trying to log in remotely: ssh_exchange_identification: Connection closed by remote host >From then on I am not able to connect remotely until I kill sshd.exe and then restart it by doing so physically at the windows box. Any ideas on why this might be happening. My apologies if this isn't the c...

"Connection to ... closed by remote host"
After (approximately) a week of running a single process in a shell via ssh the comp said (without any action on my part): Connection to plane closed by remote host. Connection to plane closed. line:~> Here is the whole output: line:~> ssh plane alexmalk@plane's password: Linux plane 2.4.20 #5 SMP Fri Apr 30 13:52:31 CEST 2004 i686 unknown The programs included with the Debian GNU/Linux system are free software; the exact distribution terms for each program are described in the individual files in /usr/share/doc/*/copyright. Debian GNU/Linux comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY,...

5.1R FTP: Connection closed by remote host
I've installed Freebsd 5.1R on one of my servers and have noticed FTP problems unusually often. It most often happens with a Windows 2000 machine trying to FTP files into this 5.1R server, but I believe it happens with other combinations as well. Is there anything about 5.1R that might be responsible for FTP connections just dropping at random ? thx ...

Connection to mymachine.org closed by remote host
Hello. I have a script running on the machine A establishing a remote ssh tunnel with machine B. It allows me, once logged on machine B to ssh machine A on port 2222 ( ssh A -p 2222 ) The script is: --- #!/bin/sh while ( test 1 ) ; do ssh -v -g -R 2222:localhost:22 -N myname@mymachine.mydomain.org -p 443 ; echo "Waiting 1 minute to restart." ; sleep 60 ; done --- More or less, every 30 minutes, the tunnel goes down with the following message: --- Connection to mymachine.mydomain.org closed by remote host. debug1: Transferred: stdin 0, stdout 0, stderr 56 bytes in 1820.5 sec...

site exec & timeout: Connection closed by remote host
Hi, I'm having now a problem with timeout issue on remote host when running site exec with ftp. I kicks me out after 1.5 min but is still keep taring/ziping the file on the server. 1.) If I run (connected to the same server/calling the same binary) the mget command and I'm d/l a large files I never get disconnected. 2.) When I run site exec with in the verbos mode I don't get disconnected. 3.) When I run site exec with no verbose mode "quote site exec tar --gzip -cf tarball.tar.gzip *.tif" I get disconnected after 1.5 min with the messages "Connection clos...

FTP.exe in DOS
Dear friends, This is Daniel here just joined your group. My system is Win Xp os and want to upload files in dos to an ftp server I am trying to upload files to a ftp server located at another location from my client system. I use the FTP program in the DOS prompt. I do the following. C:\>ftp ftp> open myserver.com Connected to myserver.com. 220 194.55.26.100 FTP server ready User (myserver.com:(none)):myusername 331 Password required for myusername. Password: 230 User myusername logged in. ftp>send filename.zip (aftersometime I am getting the message) Connection closed by r...

[ace-bugs] UDP on Windows: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host
ACE VERSION: 5.4.3 HOST MACHINE and OPERATING SYSTEM: Athlon64, Windows 2000 If on Windows based OS's, which version of WINSOCK do you use?: Winsock2 TARGET MACHINE and OPERATING SYSTEM, if different from HOST: COMPILER NAME AND VERSION (AND PATCHLEVEL): gcc.exe (GCC) 3.4.2 (mingw-special) CONTENTS OF $ACE_ROOT/ace/config.h : #define ACE_HAS_WINNT4 0 #include "ace/config-win32.h" CONTENTS OF $ACE_ROOT/include/makeinclude/platform_macros.GNU (unless this isn't used in this case, e.g., with Microsoft Visual C++): i...

Using ssh as SOCKS5 proxy results in "Connection to .... closed by remote host"
Hi, I am trying to use the dynamic port forwarding feature of OpenSSH. It seems to work fine for a short period of time (1-2s, enough for firefox to load a single page), but then the ssh connection fails with the following message: "Connection to 93.83.133.214 closed by remote host" The server is running debian wheezy (mips), the client Fedora 20. I've uploaded the verbose log generated by the client to: http://pastebin.com/sm5C3U9N In /var/log/auth.log only two lines are added in the event of disconnect: Aug 26 18:26:39 OpenWrt sshd[2689]: Received disconnect from ....

Re: Connection closed by remote host <3ab883eb-42ea-4104-bf0a-9cd2be613666@e53g2000hsa.googlegroups.com>
On 2008-05-06, htsolution@htsolution.sk <htsolution@htsolution.sk> wrote: > I have strange problems with connecting to remote machine running suse > enterprise 9.0 sp3 using ssh > > After server is restarted, everything works fine. > Then, after 5-6 days, sshd starts to drop incoming connections. > Server has IP from private network range, i connect to router with > public IP, port 222, which is then forwarded to my server (port 22) > Sometimes, ssh starts to work, but 10 minutes later, again, > connections are refused. [...] I suspect something is connecting ...

remote host connection
Hi, I am running Matlab R2008a on a Mac and I need to connect remotely to a server. I am trying to use sshfrommatlab and I have downloaded the TRILEAD Java package that goes with it. I have the TRILEAD directory and sub-directories in the Matlab user Path, and also the .m files. When I run sshfrommatlab function, it cannot find the TRILEAD Java package (the import line of the .m file). However, just the import command works. Any help is very much appreciated! thanks, Steve Hi Steve, I experienced the same problem and here is my solution. Put you trilead.jar in say "C:/" Start M...

Cannot connect from remote host
Hello everybody Im facing big troubles in working with my mail server. Its Fedora 12 OS. The sendmail build is sendmail.x86_64 / 8.14.4-3.fc12 The problem is that the daemon doesnt seem to accept remote connections. - From the console, typing "telnet localhost smtp" works - From the console, typing "telnet domainname.com smtp" works - From a remote machine, typing "telnet domainname.com smtp" does NOT work I have been reading docs and googling for a couple of days. So I know about: Changing DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp,Addr=127.0.0.1, Name=MTA')dnl to d...

how to connect a windows xp PC to solaris 9 machine by telnet (Connection to host lost) ? thanks !
I have a windows XP machine and a solaris 9 machine, they can ping each other. but when i telnet to the solaris from xp , it give me the following message, what should i do ? thanks for your help ! ------------------------------------------------------- SunOS 5.9 login: root Password: Not on system console Connection to host lost. C:\temp> On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 23:03:28 +0000, tom ye wrote: > I have a windows XP machine and a solaris 9 machine, they can ping each > other. > > but when i telnet to the solaris from xp , it give me the following message, > what ...