Stop port (process) not used

Hi all,

Sendmail is stopped and server is always listening to port 25 (SMTP) and 110
(POP).
Can you tell me why ?

By using command shell, is it possible to associate process ans port TCP/UDP
used ?
At the end, for security raisons, i need to stop all process not used as
sendmail, finger, time, printer, daytime... etc

ThankYou very much

Best Regards
NS

0
ns

ns <ns@none.ns> wrote:
> Hi all,

> Sendmail is stopped and server is always listening to port 25 (SMTP) and 110
> (POP).
> Can you tell me why ?

I've never seen sendmail listen on 110.  I think you're looking for
something else.

> By using command shell, is it possible to associate process ans port TCP/UDP
> used ?
> At the end, for security raisons, i need to stop all process not used as
> sendmail, finger, time, printer, daytime... etc

Easiest is to install and use 'lsof' to find such things directly...

lsof -i :25
lsof -i :110

If you can't do that, then run 'pfiles <PID>' on all the processes
(found in /proc) and see which ones have those ports open.  Oh, and you
need to be running Solaris 8 or later for that to work.

--
Darren Dunham                                           ddunham@taos.com
Darren

ThankYou very much Darren for your help !! It's work fine.

Best Regards
NS

"Darren Dunham" <ddunham@redwood.taos.com> a �crit dans le message de
> ns <ns@none.ns> wrote:
> > Hi all,
>
> > Sendmail is stopped and server is always listening to port 25 (SMTP) and
110
> > (POP).
> > Can you tell me why ?
>
> I've never seen sendmail listen on 110.  I think you're looking for
> something else.
>
> > By using command shell, is it possible to associate process ans port
TCP/UDP
> > used ?
> > At the end, for security raisons, i need to stop all process not used as
> > sendmail, finger, time, printer, daytime... etc
>
> Easiest is to install and use 'lsof' to find such things directly...
>
> lsof -i :25
> lsof -i :110
>
> If you can't do that, then run 'pfiles <PID>' on all the processes
> (found in /proc) and see which ones have those ports open.  Oh, and you
> need to be running Solaris 8 or later for that to work.
>
> --
> Darren Dunham                                           ddunham@taos.com
> Senior Technical Consultant         TAOS            http://www.taos.com/
> Got some Dr Pepper?                           San Francisco, CA bay area
>          < This line left intentionally blank to confuse you. >

0
ns

The command pfiles work fine but i can't find entry for following port
opened : 25 and 110 (smtp and pop)
For port 25, i confirm that process sendmail is stopped and no entry for 110
and 25 on inetd.conf

Any idea ?

ThankYou very much

Best Regards
NS

"Darren Dunham" <ddunham@redwood.taos.com> a �crit dans le message de
> ns <ns@none.ns> wrote:
> > Hi all,
>
> > Sendmail is stopped and server is always listening to port 25 (SMTP) and
110
> > (POP).
> > Can you tell me why ?
>
> I've never seen sendmail listen on 110.  I think you're looking for
> something else.
>
> > By using command shell, is it possible to associate process ans port
TCP/UDP
> > used ?
> > At the end, for security raisons, i need to stop all process not used as
> > sendmail, finger, time, printer, daytime... etc
>
> Easiest is to install and use 'lsof' to find such things directly...
>
> lsof -i :25
> lsof -i :110
>
> If you can't do that, then run 'pfiles <PID>' on all the processes
> (found in /proc) and see which ones have those ports open.  Oh, and you
> need to be running Solaris 8 or later for that to work.
>
> --
> Darren Dunham                                           ddunham@taos.com
> Senior Technical Consultant         TAOS            http://www.taos.com/
> Got some Dr Pepper?                           San Francisco, CA bay area
>          < This line left intentionally blank to confuse you. >

0
ns
3/9/2005 11:23:11 AM
Hi Darren,

Can you tell me where can i find version "lsof" pre-compiled for
Solaris-Sparc please ?

Thanks a lot
NS

"Darren Dunham" <ddunham@redwood.taos.com> a �crit dans le message de
> ns <ns@none.ns> wrote:
> > Hi all,
>
> > Sendmail is stopped and server is always listening to port 25 (SMTP) and
110
> > (POP).
> > Can you tell me why ?
>
> I've never seen sendmail listen on 110.  I think you're looking for
> something else.
>
> > By using command shell, is it possible to associate process ans port
TCP/UDP
> > used ?
> > At the end, for security raisons, i need to stop all process not used as
> > sendmail, finger, time, printer, daytime... etc
>
> Easiest is to install and use 'lsof' to find such things directly...
>
> lsof -i :25
> lsof -i :110
>
> If you can't do that, then run 'pfiles <PID>' on all the processes
> (found in /proc) and see which ones have those ports open.  Oh, and you
> need to be running Solaris 8 or later for that to work.
>
> --
> Darren Dunham                                           ddunham@taos.com
> Senior Technical Consultant         TAOS            http://www.taos.com/
> Got some Dr Pepper?                           San Francisco, CA bay area
>          < This line left intentionally blank to confuse you. >

0
ns
3/9/2005 5:28:27 PM
>> On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 18:28:27 +0100,
>> "ns" <ns@none.ns> said:

> Hi Darren, Can you tell me where can i find version "lsof"
> pre-compiled for Solaris-Sparc please ?

http://www.blastwave.org/packages.php/lsof
0
Tony
3/9/2005 5:32:07 PM
Thank you Tony, i disn't seen binaries directory...

Best Regards
NS