Stop port (process) not used

Hi all,

Sendmail is stopped and server is always listening to port 25 (SMTP) and 110
(POP).
Can you tell me why ?

By using command shell, is it possible to associate process ans port TCP/UDP
used ?
At the end, for security raisons, i need to stop all process not used as
sendmail, finger, time, printer, daytime... etc

ThankYou very much

Best Regards
NS

0
ns

ns <ns@none.ns> wrote:
> Hi all,

> Sendmail is stopped and server is always listening to port 25 (SMTP) and 110
> (POP).
> Can you tell me why ?

I've never seen sendmail listen on 110.  I think you're looking for
something else.

> By using command shell, is it possible to associate process ans port TCP/UDP
> used ?
> At the end, for security raisons, i need to stop all process not used as
> sendmail, finger, time, printer, daytime... etc

Easiest is to install and use 'lsof' to find such things directly...

lsof -i :25
lsof -i :110

If you can't do that, then run 'pfiles <PID>' on all the processes
(found in /proc) and see which ones have those ports open.  Oh, and you
need to be running Solaris 8 or later for that to work.

--
Darren Dunham                                           ddunham@taos.com
Darren

ThankYou very much Darren for your help !! It's work fine.

Best Regards
NS

"Darren Dunham" <ddunham@redwood.taos.com> a �crit dans le message de
> ns <ns@none.ns> wrote:
> > Hi all,
>
> > Sendmail is stopped and server is always listening to port 25 (SMTP) and
110
> > (POP).
> > Can you tell me why ?
>
> I've never seen sendmail listen on 110.  I think you're looking for
> something else.
>
> > By using command shell, is it possible to associate process ans port
TCP/UDP
> > used ?
> > At the end, for security raisons, i need to stop all process not used as
> > sendmail, finger, time, printer, daytime... etc
>
> Easiest is to install and use 'lsof' to find such things directly...
>
> lsof -i :25
> lsof -i :110
>
> If you can't do that, then run 'pfiles <PID>' on all the processes
> (found in /proc) and see which ones have those ports open.  Oh, and you
> need to be running Solaris 8 or later for that to work.
>
> --
> Darren Dunham                                           ddunham@taos.com
> Senior Technical Consultant         TAOS            http://www.taos.com/
> Got some Dr Pepper?                           San Francisco, CA bay area
>          < This line left intentionally blank to confuse you. >

0
ns

The command pfiles work fine but i can't find entry for following port
opened : 25 and 110 (smtp and pop)
For port 25, i confirm that process sendmail is stopped and no entry for 110
and 25 on inetd.conf

Any idea ?

ThankYou very much

Best Regards
NS

"Darren Dunham" <ddunham@redwood.taos.com> a �crit dans le message de
> ns <ns@none.ns> wrote:
> > Hi all,
>
> > Sendmail is stopped and server is always listening to port 25 (SMTP) and
110
> > (POP).
> > Can you tell me why ?
>
> I've never seen sendmail listen on 110.  I think you're looking for
> something else.
>
> > By using command shell, is it possible to associate process ans port
TCP/UDP
> > used ?
> > At the end, for security raisons, i need to stop all process not used as
> > sendmail, finger, time, printer, daytime... etc
>
> Easiest is to install and use 'lsof' to find such things directly...
>
> lsof -i :25
> lsof -i :110
>
> If you can't do that, then run 'pfiles <PID>' on all the processes
> (found in /proc) and see which ones have those ports open.  Oh, and you
> need to be running Solaris 8 or later for that to work.
>
> --
> Darren Dunham                                           ddunham@taos.com
> Senior Technical Consultant         TAOS            http://www.taos.com/
> Got some Dr Pepper?                           San Francisco, CA bay area
>          < This line left intentionally blank to confuse you. >

0
ns
3/9/2005 11:23:11 AM
Hi Darren,

Can you tell me where can i find version "lsof" pre-compiled for
Solaris-Sparc please ?

Thanks a lot
NS

"Darren Dunham" <ddunham@redwood.taos.com> a �crit dans le message de
> ns <ns@none.ns> wrote:
> > Hi all,
>
> > Sendmail is stopped and server is always listening to port 25 (SMTP) and
110
> > (POP).
> > Can you tell me why ?
>
> I've never seen sendmail listen on 110.  I think you're looking for
> something else.
>
> > By using command shell, is it possible to associate process ans port
TCP/UDP
> > used ?
> > At the end, for security raisons, i need to stop all process not used as
> > sendmail, finger, time, printer, daytime... etc
>
> Easiest is to install and use 'lsof' to find such things directly...
>
> lsof -i :25
> lsof -i :110
>
> If you can't do that, then run 'pfiles <PID>' on all the processes
> (found in /proc) and see which ones have those ports open.  Oh, and you
> need to be running Solaris 8 or later for that to work.
>
> --
> Darren Dunham                                           ddunham@taos.com
> Senior Technical Consultant         TAOS            http://www.taos.com/
> Got some Dr Pepper?                           San Francisco, CA bay area
>          < This line left intentionally blank to confuse you. >

0
ns
3/9/2005 5:28:27 PM
>> On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 18:28:27 +0100,
>> "ns" <ns@none.ns> said:

> Hi Darren, Can you tell me where can i find version "lsof"
> pre-compiled for Solaris-Sparc please ?

http://www.blastwave.org/packages.php/lsof
0
Tony
3/9/2005 5:32:07 PM
Thank you Tony, i disn't seen binaries directory...

Best Regards
NS

"Tony Curtis" <tony_curtis32@yahoo.com> a �crit dans le message de
> >> On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 18:28:27 +0100,
> >> "ns" <ns@none.ns> said:
>
> > Hi Darren, Can you tell me where can i find version "lsof"
> > pre-compiled for Solaris-Sparc please ?
>
> http://www.blastwave.org/packages.php/lsof

0
ns

How do you use VTune to examine routine counts?
I'm trying to profile FireFox to get a list of routines that get called a lot or that use a lot of time and have a trial of Vtune installed. It doesn't seem intuitively obvious as to how to do this. I did relink with a switch that it requested but I can't see modules when I open the executable. Are there switches to add so that VTune has access to module bases? Also, are there switches to avoid? I also have Visual Studio 2003.net which is supposed to have a profiler but I can't find one in my installation. Is this an option to install on the kit? I have seen posts stating th...

Ftp downloads always stop at last KB
Hi all. I am running mandrake 9.1 with shorewall 1.4.6c, and my problem is that every time I try and do an ftp download it runs fine until the last 2kb, and then hangs. I am on BtOpenworld plugged into an ethernet adsl router. THis is from my firewall and from clients. Has anybody come across this before ? jacob reimann <jacob@spam.me> wrote: > Hi all. > > I am running mandrake 9.1 with shorewall 1.4.6c, and my problem is that > every time I try and do an ftp download it runs fine until the last 2kb, > and then hangs. I am on BtOpenworld plugged into an ethernet a...

[LogoForum] Re: PC ports
--Apple-Mail-11--914322969 Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII; format=flowed The message below is being cross-posted from LogoForum. --- In LogoForum@yahoogroups.com, "jotape1960" <jotape1960@...> wrote: > Does somebody know how to control and to watch ALL the PC I/0 ports, > specially when we're surfing the web, with MSWLogo? ALL would be a lot! You can watch a few with INPORT with MSW/FMSLogo. Using OUTPORT to change values of ports is a bit dangerous and can, if not properly used, cause serious damage to your PC. You...

Re: How to make predictions using developed regression model. #5
Joe Whitehurst sagely caught: > >On Fri, 24 Aug 2007, Joe Whitehurst wrote: > > > Dr. Viel, > > > > I think congratulations are in order! Mazel tov! Congrats! And all that stuff. > >I consider you great members of SAS-L a wonderful classroom. The ease >with which I accessed your expertise was a great relief, not tomention a >respectable form of internet entertainment (no offense World of Warcraft ><g>). > >Be sure that I will try to acknowledge SAS-L, if I get my subsequent >dissertation studies published :) > >Thank you, &g...

[News] Wall Street Uses Free (Libre) Software

Multiple NIC's. Which is used for pinging?
I just set up a Fedora Core 4 box with 3 network cards. All three are configured with different IP's. When I try to ping somewhere in my network it always uses the same card to do the pinging. Similarly, although I have only one card plugged into the network, I am unable to talk to the web server, ping the machine, etc from the outside until I disable the other two cards. How do I tell the system which card I want to handle which address ranges (inbound and outbound)? Thanks -Jez Ping will use the card that is on the network you are pinging. Or the default route for a network t...

Fatal error coming_uniq using AWK
All, I tried to create a AWk script to work like uniq command, and below is what i written: awk '{a[NR]=$0} END{ for(i=1;i<NR;i++) if(a[i]!~a[i+1]) print a[i] print a[i] }' $1 It is working for most cases, but when the input conatins ( or [, it is throwing an error, on that line. e.g. Input: hello world hello world east west west east 123 123 good (morning good (morning good (morning world) error thrown: awk: cmd. line:4: (FILENAME=uniqText.txt FNR=7) fatal: Unmatched ( or \(: /(morning/ How will i solve it.? please help. On 8/16/2012 3:03 PM...

Help with SNMP to control (start|stop|restart) unix processes...
Hi: I'll keep the question as simple as I can. You've written a script that accepts as arguments integers 1 to 100, each of which causes the script to produce a different result (say, option 1 kills all java processes). That script is sitting on a Solaris 9 or 10 machine (for purposes of this discussion, say its called: /usr/local/bin/controller.sh). Now you want to configure SNMP server on that machine to be able to receive a signal from some SNMP client, to launch that script with whatever option you pass it via the SNMP client request (again 1 to 100)... which I assume will be sn...

Stop it Stop it Stop it
All this talk about Oblivion, and here I am, sitting on my hands, waiting for bastardbuy to ship me a freakin' out-of-stock-don't-know-when-more-will-arrive Xbox 360 and Oblivion. I have a good mind to download Oblivion from a torrent and play it on my computer. You're all so insensitive to my pain, so I'm going to have to filter Oblivion posts for now. "Grackle" <nowhere@lalaland.ca> wrote in message news:kRZVf.811$u15.185775@news20.bellglobal.com... > All this talk about Oblivion, and here I am, sitting on my hands, waiting > for bastardbuy t...

Applet uses JavaComm Exception "...name can't be null"
I've written an applet which communicates with a MagTek Check Reader. As a standalone applet it works fine. It breaks when I use it as an applet in an html page. Standalone I'm using the same JDK as I am with the plugin. I've signed the Applet. I've configured the security policy for the plugin to allow all permissions. ------------------ java.policy ------------- grant codeBase "http://dev.caughey.com/-" { permission java.security.AllPermission; }; -------------------------------------------- Here is the out put from the Console window. ---------------- CONSOL...

Using Mathematica to analyze Firefox startup performance
Folks, I'm tasked with improving Firefox performance on the Mac, particularly startup performance. I'm trying to do a rigorous analysis of my data and would rather use Mathematica than R. The two R scripts I have are density plot overlaid on top of normal distribution [1] and Wilcoxon/Anova + plot [2]. Would someone kindly help me translate those to Mathematica? The scripts are attached to bug 525013, comments #89 and #98 respectively [3]. Raw data is attached to the bug as well. Thanks in advance, Joel [1] https://bug525013.bugzilla.mozilla.org/attachment.cgi...

SN#18410 New Sun StorageTek[TM] 4Gb FC Dual Port ExpressModule HBAs
SYSTEM NEWS FOR SUN USERS Vol 113 Issue 4 2007-07-23 Article 18410 from section "Storage" Transition of Sun StorageTek[TM] T10000 2 GB Drives Sun has two storage related announcements: there are new ExpressModule 4Gb FC HBAs for high performance connectivity needs and the Sun StorageTek[TM] T10000 2 Gb drives are being transitioned for 4 Gb drives. Details at http://sun.systemnews.com/g?A=18410 Have a custom version of 'System News for Sun Users' delivered to you via email each week in PDF, text or HTML. Only the sections that y...

How to stop a thread without using stop()
There is a thread which calls just ONE METHOD. The problem is the method can work for 1 sec to more than 10minutes. I have to stop if the thread work for more than 10 secs and I don't have the source of the method - but, I have to use the method. Thread.stop() method is deprecated.. So, I tried using interrupt() method, but it did not work. Then how can the thread be stopped without using stop() ?? Thank you. -- ** Son KwonNam Please DO NOT reply to this message's email address. The address is fake. Son KwonNam wrote: > The problem is the method can work for 1 sec to more th...

More portupgrade problems from BROKEN port.
I've recently installed portaudit which is telling me I need to upgrade samba-3.0.0.1 as there's a vulnerability. Ports has samba-3.0.4_2,1 which is marked BROKEN for FreeBSD 4.x. Portupgrade seems to have been fixed so it detects and refuses to install the broken port, which then leaves another quandry. However my second 4.10 samba system was able to install samba-3.0.1_2,1 from before the update to portupgrade. This doesn't get flagged by portaudit as being vulnerable. Also for some reason /usr/local/sbin/smbd has been zapped sometime in past week as today the...

How to use Matlab do control firewire camera?
I had been using NI-IMAQdx to communicate with two of my prosilica 1394 DCAM 1.31 cameras (before being bought by AVT) for quite some time without any problems. Now I want to try matlab (2010a) image acquisition tool box. I followed the instruction and installed the CMU 1394 Digital Camera Driver, but the demo program could not recognize either one. Then I tried to install the driver manually by select property->update->...>hard disk->1394Camera.inf. However, a pop-up window showed that the driver was not compatible. I'm using windows 7 64-bit, and I think the CMU 6.4.5 does su...

meaning of "child processes are reaped"
Hello folks, not very experienced with interprocess communication and not a native English speaker I would like to know what the meaning of the expression "child processes are reaped" is. I encountered it in connection with Perl's waitpid-function. Could somebody explain this term? Cheers Bernd bernd <bew_ba@gmx.net> wrote in comp.lang.perl.misc: > Hello folks, > > not very experienced with interprocess communication and not a native > English speaker I would like to know what the meaning of the expression > "child processes are reaped" is. ...

Hi Guys... Reading XML using Jython code
Am new to python and Jython... Kindly help me on My issue please ! My Issue is: XML parsing using Jython.. I am sucessfully reading XML file using xml.etree.ElementTree package .. But I have a issue in below scenario . this scenario my code is not working. In my XML file , One main node is there and Multiple child tags are there. But In Child tags , same name repeated twice (like <subject> tag repeated twice) This scenario , this package can not read .. How can I read very first come tag (means it should read first come <subject> node value only .leave the s...

LogonUser/impersonate user using Kerberos ticket
Hello, In windows we have LogonUser function which attempts to log a user on to the local computer. We specify the user with a user name and domain and authenticate the user with a plaintext password. If the function succeeds, you receive a handle to a token that represents the logged-on user. You can then use this token handle to impersonate the specified user. Is there any api to LogonUser/impersonate user using Kerberos ticket, username and domain name without providing password? This is required for Single Sign-on feature. Thanks MADHUKAR ...

Interalia RAN stopped working
I have a Meridian 11c with an Interalia MMU2 for recorded announcements. I currently have only 1 announcement recorded for an ACD queue, the standard "all agents busy, please wait" type of announcement. The announcement recently quit working (last 2 days). The Interalia has power, and the message exists. MSG1 is "turned on" in Interalia display. No wiring changes have been made. Stat of trunk card in LD 32 shows the RAN as idle. I tried the ACOD of the RDB for the RAN and get a fast busy. Any ideas? I'm really stuck here.... Thanks in advance. Sounds like...

Cadence InterProcess Communication
Cadence InterProcess Communication - "hiSetBindKey freeze the Child Process" In my earlier post I cannot send data in my child process because I have set a binding. Then I tried to another solution. First I place all the data that I will send to my child process in a skill list. Then I have unset the binding. Then I tried to send the contents of my skill list in my child process and I am successful. Does hiSetBindKey freeze the Child Process? Please comment. Domo Arigato Gozaimasu! (^^_)v Best regards, charkle_kline > Cadence InterProcess Communication - "hiSetBindKe...

[News] GPRS-Enabled Module Uses GNU/Linux
Tiny computer module packs Linux, does GPRS ,----[ Quote ] | SSV Embedded Systems is shipping a tiny processor module targeting | complex industrial communications applications. The ARM9-based DNP/9200 | single-board computer (SBC) comes pre-installed with Linux, and is | available in a Starter Kit that includes an evaluation board with a | socket for a GSM/GPRS modem and SIM card. `---- http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS3018896570.html ...

thread crashes on stop
Hi: I'm trying for the first time to use threads in my program, and I have some basic problem. The thread sample works fine on my system (wxMac 2.4.2 on MacOSX 10.3.4), and as this is the first time I program in threads, it is likely I'm doing something wrong. My thread class is called "SThread" and is derived from wxThread as follows: #include "SThread.h" SThread::SThread() : wxThread() { //no initialization to do } void *SThread::Entry() { while (1) { wxThread::Sleep(100); if ( TestDestroy() ) b...

UDP Port 4500 Error
I am attempting to connect to my employer's network from home over a VPN connection. My OS is Windows Vista Enterprise 32 bit. I do have a firewall enabled on my WRV200 router. I am using Nortel Contivity VPN Client on the laptop as well as Nortel TunnelGuard. I am able to hit the local network and I get an IP address and internet connection. But when authenticating to the VPN server I receive the below error. "Unable to contact the server. If a firewall is enabled it must be configured to allow outbound traffic on UDP Port 4500.." I am sure it is just a matter...

Stopping pkgrm
Hi, I am currently creating my own packages. I have a need for the abilit to stop a package from being removed (ie stop pkgrm from removing file etc). Does anybody know how? TIA Regards Pau -- Relex ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Relexx's Profile: http://unixadmintalk.com/80 View this thread: http://unixadmintalk.com/showthread.php?t=25909 On Tue, 16 Jan 2007 20:08:56 -0800, Relexx <Relexx.2kswxn@no-mx.unixadmintalk.com> wrote: >Hi, > >I am currently creating my own packages. I have a need for the ability >to stop a pac...

how do i use osirix to auto route
my syntax is all wrong. thank you in advance. how do i auto route cardiac ultrasounds to my cardiologist i tried (studyname like[c] "Cardio") but it didnt work ...