Truss on process with high CPU usage shows 90 % time() calls

Hi,

We've got a performance problem on an application (webmethods
Enterprise Server -> and the process awbroker) on Solaris 8. The same
configuration on a different machine works just fine and we can't find
any configuration differences in the application itself... What is
different the network configuration, but I'll return to that in a
minute.

The only reason for posting to this group is that when we did a truss
-p on the process there was a incredible amount of calls to time().
(Unfortunately we did not do a trusss -c to have exact numbers on
this: we may do some controlled experiments next week where we'll
measure this exactly.) A graph of vmstat activity averaged over 100
seconds shows that at the moment of the truss there were around 80k
system calls/second.

So what does the application do? One one server it reads a big file in
XML format that is stored in a queue (on the broker). An adapter on a
distant server retrieves the documents in that queue. The problem is
that it retrieves the documents very slowly compared to another
server. The physical difference is that the broker server and the
adapter that retrieves the documents are on the same LAN  with a
simple switch next to each other (in the FAST case); in the SLOW case
the two are in a VLAN on two separate sites situated approximately 1
km apart.

Of course, it's hard to know what the broker is doing in this case...
But, if anyone has a clue to why a process communicating with the
distant server would call time() something like 70k times/second we'd
appreciate it!

Thanks in advance for any help or ideas.

Best regards,

Frank Olsen
0
folsen

Some additional info here would really help, but I'll
proffer some guesses:

* is the app using UDP and using a clumsy retransmit scheme?
* is the app failing to handle possible packet fragmentation?
* does the app check timestamps on things; are the machines
  in sync wrt time?

- Bart

folsen@acm.org (Frank Olsen) wrote in message news:<53cb967a.0312170715.56c6bc70@posting.google.com>...
> Hi,
>
> We've got a performance problem on an application (webmethods
> Enterprise Server -> and the process awbroker) on Solaris 8. The same
> configuration on a different machine works just fine and we can't find
> any configuration differences in the application itself... What is
> different the network configuration, but I'll return to that in a
> minute.
>
> The only reason for posting to this group is that when we did a truss
> -p on the process there was a incredible amount of calls to time().
> (Unfortunately we did not do a trusss -c to have exact numbers on
> this: we may do some controlled experiments next week where we'll
> measure this exactly.) A graph of vmstat activity averaged over 100
> seconds shows that at the moment of the truss there were around 80k
> system calls/second.
>
> So what does the application do? One one server it reads a big file in
> XML format that is stored in a queue (on the broker). An adapter on a
> distant server retrieves the documents in that queue. The problem is
> that it retrieves the documents very slowly compared to another
> server. The physical difference is that the broker server and the
> adapter that retrieves the documents are on the same LAN  with a
> simple switch next to each other (in the FAST case); in the SLOW case
> the two are in a VLAN on two separate sites situated approximately 1
> km apart.
>
> Of course, it's hard to know what the broker is doing in this case...
> But, if anyone has a clue to why a process communicating with the
> distant server would call time() something like 70k times/second we'd
> appreciate it!
>
> Thanks in advance for any help or ideas.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Frank Olsen
0
barts

LASER 2005 Summer School
------------------------------------------------------------- *** REGISTRATION DEADLINE: JUNE 20 *** ------------------------------------------------------------- LASER Summer School on Software Engineering Software engineering for concurrent and real-time systems Elba, Italy September 11 - 17, 2005 http://se.inf.ethz.ch/laser ------------------------------------------------------------- Call for Participation SCOPE AND OBJECTIVES Research in software engineering of concurrent and real-time...

Looking for best way to post-process BWT data
Hi all, I'm looking for the best way to post-process a bwt stream to get the best order 0 or 1 result. So far i've tried bwt+rle+mtf, and distance coding (DC). And got book1 from calgary corpus down to +/- 230.000 with my bwt+dc implementation using an order 0 arithmetic coder. But in this paper: http://sun.iinf.polsl.gliwice.pl/~sdeor/pub/deo01.pdf, they claim DC can bring book1 down to 2.241 bpp. Which would be (2.241/8)*768.771=215.352 bytes. Does anybody know exactly how they code their distances (i use 1 byte up to 254 and a flag byte + 3 byte distance for the rest)? (Or what o...

Fast inter process communication
Currently using named shared memory and Dos32(Wait|Post)EvenSem to filter file access. The purpose of the communication is to provide cache and prefetch functions. The current implementation is slow even if it would have 100% cache hit ratio, because there seem to be circa 4ms overhead for every access, making it slower 2 times compared my average harddisk access. Part of the overhead is buffer copy to shared memory, maybe the current copy implementation to/from shared memory could improved, but major slowdown still seems to be the process switch. Any idea for faster co...

What is the differences between process group and process session?
I find on the Internet that a process session may contain several process groups. However, I am not really understand what does a process group mean and what does a process session mean? I tried to find on the Internet about the terms, but only manual of setsid and setpgid found. :( Would anyone like to tell me where to find the answer? Thank you in advance. -- Steven Ding dwj<at>asia.com In article <c2446p$sv5@netnews.proxy.lucent.com>, Steven Ding <dwj@asia.com> wrote: > I find on the Internet that a process session may contain several process > groups. > ...

wattcp and time synchronization
Hi, Is wattcp trying to synchronize its time by default ? (to a time server,...?) or are there function calls in the wattcp library which can modify the system time or hires.timers ? We have a djgpp application with wattcp, the pc is connected to a WindowsXP pc. At 10:00 15 Sept 2004 we saw then on al our pc's running the djgpp application, that the timers were not expiring anymore for a period of time (> 5 min) (we use the set_timeout and chk_timeout functions) We didn't implement any time sync. protocol. Any idea? PT <ptalloen@hotmail.com> wrote: > Is wattcp tryi...

pausing and continuing of a time function
Hello fellow engineers! I would like some help from all of you. I am implementing a GUI in labview. Among the many things it requires, is a time diplay in minutes and seconds. The GUI must allow the user to set the time. For example, the user sets the time as 5 minutes. Then the VI must start a count down display of time. For example. it will start counting down from 5:00, 4:59, 4:58 and so on unil 0:00. I wish to implement two functions- &nbsp; pause &nbsp; continue. &nbsp; When the user presses pause, the timing source should pause. and when the user presses continue, the time so...

Sky-high travel phone bills nearly bust house payment [Telecom]
Sky-high travel phone bills nearly bust house payment By Christopher Elliott Tribune Media Services (Tribune Media Services) -- When it comes to "gotcha" fees, the cellular phone industry makes travel companies look like rank amateurs. Take what happened to P. Morgan Brown when his wife decided to take a spur-of-the-moment vacation to Indonesia. Her Verizon bill came to a staggering $8,000. Text-messages home cost an astounding $2.50 each and the meter was running at an eye-popping $1.75 a minute for phone calls. .... http://www.cnn.com/2009/TRAVEL/trav...

not exiting from script after creating a background process!!
hi, i have a written a script for installation of mysql. The scripts has a stmt ,which starts the mysql server using a stmt /usr/local/mysql.5.0.41/bin/mysqld_safe --user=mysql& Following is this are many stmt for midifying the DB..DB also gets modified but the script gets into a infinte loop. plzz.. provide a solution..!! Thanks in advance.. On May 31, 7:46 am, Vinay <vina...@gmail.com> wrote: > hi, > i have a written a script for installation of mysql. > > The scripts has a stmt ,which starts the mysql server using a stmt > > /usr/local/mysql...

Batch processing resize trashes aspect ratio
I'm sure there's a _really_ simple answer, but I can't find it... All I want to do is resize a folder full of digital camera images to 640 pixels wide by whatever high they come out. I record a script as per the help file and that picture is processed fine when I run it in batch mode, saving to a different folder and adding "comp" to the filename. BUT: any images with a different aspect ration than the one I used to record the script are distorted. No variation of the "lock aspect radio" settings seems to help. A bit of googling tells me to basically do what...

eBay: GVP T-REX 40MHz 040 Amiga CPU card w. 8mb.
Now for auction on eBay GVP T-REX 40MHz 68040 Amiga CPU card w. 8mb. Heres the Link. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5101504746 &sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1 or http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5101504746 &sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1 Ends 17-Jun-04 20:48:12 ...

Simulation time/progress when running a simulation from a gui
I have written a GUI that runs a simulink simulation. To do this I have used the sim command. Does anybody know of a way that I could display how long the simulation has been running for. I haven't been able to find anything on the matlab site about it. Thanks for your help ...

Roof Truss design calculations,Truss Structural design dimensions services
Roof truss design and selection of member dimensions is influenced by many factors. Principal factors include architectural style, types of roofing material, frame supports and tentative cost of fabrication. There are three basic types of trusses: flat, bowstring and pitched. It is also recommended to consider side- and end-wall heights, roof shape and bracing requirements along with economy. Fabrication cost depends on efficiency in use of material as regard to truss type and proportions and to fabrication labor. In practice, order of relative efficiency for trusses is: bowstring, p...

IDE goes white after long process
I have an annoyingly long script running on windows. I logged off one time, then logged back in, and the matlab IDE window has been an unusable white box ever since. The task manager shows high cpu power and the memory use is changing constantly, so I think my script is still running, but the white screen is simply annoying. Is there a way to force it to repaint the window so I can see the disp() of my progress? "Ross Anderson" <rpa5nospam@cornell.edu> wrote in message <hg0qs2$9sm$1@fred.mathworks.com>... > I have an annoyingly long script running on windows. I logg...

Call for Papers: IAENG International Conference on Operations Research (ICOR 2009)
CFP: IAENG International Conference on Operations Research ICOR 2009 From: International Association of Engineers The 2009 IAENG International Conference on Operations Research 18-20 March, 2009, Hong Kong http://www.iaeng.org/IMECS2009/ICOR2009.html The conference ICOR'09 is held under the International MultiConference of Engineers and Computer Scientists 2009. The IMECS 2009 is organized by the International Association of Engineers (IAENG), and serves as good platforms for the engineering community members to meet with each other and to exchange ideas. The last conference in 2008 has...

high quality A to Z support SIP
We offer highest quality A-Z termination service. We can connect TDM or VOIP. H323 or SIP If you need excellent voice quality, you must contact me at charles@tmtelcomm.com You must test our A to Z to hear the difference! www.tmtelcomm.com charles@tmtelcomm.com ...

Wait for a process from a different shell
Hi all, I want to run a script that runs a few DB updates after the insertion is done. I've kicked of the insertion script in a window, but it'll run for 4 hrs. I tried to see if I could wait for this script so that I can schedule the update script. I googled around and the wait command seems to work only for the current shell. I'm on solaris 10, with bash 3.0. Is there a way to wait for a process from another shell to finish? I've implemented it clumsily using a while loop that sleeps for 5 min before checking for the insertion script. Once the while loop exits, my update ...

CPU/Case Temps
Hi All, I wanted to post this question to see if I am ok in this sense. I have a Pentium 4 3.0 GHz machine (D865PERL MB) I just installed MBM tonight, and I want to check my readings with everyone to see if they are normal or not. Idle State Case: 41 C Chipset: 41 C CPU: 46/48 C Playing Far Cry I left the monitor CPU: 62/64 C Case: 48 C Cgipset: 48 C Are these temps to high? are they good? Should I worry? Thank you for your time, Terry "Terry Warner" <twarner@netlabs.net> wrote in message news:uMqdnRggJq6BuWLd4p2dnA@netlabs.net... > CPU: 62/64 C > Case: 48 C ...

Memory sharing in multi CPU designs...
Hi! I have a dual dsPIC CPU board and need to access the memory which can be used by both CPU's. To ensure data consistency I have to gain exclusive access to the memory. While one CPU is working on it, the other has to wait... One way to achieve that programmatically is to implement master/slave kind of a behaviour, where one CPU owns the memory and the other rents it. However the only way I know how to do that is by having very tight loop that continuously checks for the flag value in external memory. My memory access times are very short so this will probably work fine....(loops wo...

Solaris 9: thread terminated
Hi, Something weird happened to my machine (Ultra10/Solaris 9/kernel Generic_112233-11), yesterday. After this two messages on the /var/adm/messages: "Jan 15 19:00:00 jsilva thread terminated" and "Jan 15 19:00:00 jsilva SRS Proxy[472]: [ID 401535 daemon.error] Thread(IMWatchdog): un handled exception: condtimedwait error: 22" (from SRSNetConnect), time on my machine went to Dec 31 01:00:02, then went back to the right time and stopped. The machine was still running, but time completly stopped ! Anyone seen this before ? Thank you. jorge.silva@gmail.com wrote: > Hi,...

RE: Monitor JTQUOTA usage of another process.
On 7.3-2, add a /FULL to the command. -----Original Message----- From: Rob Brown [mailto:mylastname@gmcl.com]=20 Sent: Friday, February 16, 2007 3:05 PM To: Info-VAX@Mvb.Saic.Com Subject: Re: Monitor JTQUOTA usage of another process. On Fri, 16 Feb 2007, Peter 'EPLAN' LANGSTOeGER wrote: > $ SHOW LOGICAL/TABLE=3DLNM$JOB_84067840 > > (LNM$JOB_84067840) [kernel] [shareable] [Quota=3D(5744,10000)] > ... I don't see this in VMS 7.1. What version do you need to get this? --=20 Rob Brown b r o w n a t g m c l d o t c o m G. Michaels Consul...

Using Labview 7 "time stamp" control with relative time?
I have for the 1st time tried the Time Stamp control in LV7. On the format & precision page of the properties dialog I can see an option for relative time but I cannot select it (it's disabled). In this case the built-in help isn't helpful. How is relative time specified? I just found my own answer. It seems that if relative time is desired you cannot use the time stamp control. You must instead use an ordinary numeric control and choose the relative time format there. ...

SOFSEM'09 Call for Papers
[Apologies for multiple copies of this message] Dear colleague, Please find below the call for papers and other relevant information for SOFSEM'09, the 35th International Conference on Current Trends in Theory and Practice of Computer Science. January 24-30, 2009 Hotel Arnika, Spindleruv mlyn, Czech Republic, Best wishes, Catuscia Palamidessi and Frank D. Valencia (Chairs for the Foundations of Computer Science Track of SOFSEM'09). SOFSEM'09 ------------------ - URL http://www.ksi.mff.cuni.cz/sofsem09/index.php - CfP http://www.ksi.mff.cuni.cz/sofse...

"Volume on tape cannot be processed"
Hi, I am AS400 operator.When I see backup in msgw status. I get some problem. It gives errors as "Volume on device TAP02 cannot be processed" Message ID . . . . . . : BRM1472 Date sent . . . . . . : 13/04/06 Time sent . . . . . . : 08:09:46 Message . . . . : Mount media of class ULTRIUM1 on device TAP01. (G C) Cause . . . . . : Media of class ULTRIUM1 is needed on device TAP01 to perform this operation. Use volume 030098, or one of the following available volumes: 030023 030024 030056 030067 I checked , Tap01 is varied on. 1) I wan...

DLSW Problem
Hi guys. I have one question regarding the DLSW. One of my router currently running DLSW for their SNA application. As right know, I found that thru show process cpu, DLSw msg proc give the router high cpu utilization. 112 17656200 157463 112134 31.26% 31.86% 30.51% 0 DLSw msg proc I try to find it thru cisco.com & google.com. Unfortunately, the info is very little. Does anybody know regarding this DLSW msg proc.My router is Cisco 3620, with IOS version 12.2(7) release software fc1 Thanks in advance. start with the DLSW design and implementation guide http://www.cisco.c...

Speech processing toolbox?
Dear All Do we have any toolbox specific for speech processing tasks dedicated to MATLAB ? Thank you hadi motamedi <motamedi24@gmail.com> wrote in message <a6ef96b7-823d-4499-a6aa-077307ac4be4@w21g2000yqm.googlegroups.com>... > Dear All > Do we have any toolbox specific for speech processing tasks dedicated > to MATLAB ? > Thank you This one has been around for while http://www.utdallas.edu/~loizou/speech/colea.htm You can do a lot of speech processing just by using the Signal Processing Toolbox. There are a number of routines for parametric modeling a...