Truss on process with high CPU usage shows 90 % time() calls

Hi,

We've got a performance problem on an application (webmethods
Enterprise Server -> and the process awbroker) on Solaris 8. The same
configuration on a different machine works just fine and we can't find
any configuration differences in the application itself... What is
different the network configuration, but I'll return to that in a
minute.

The only reason for posting to this group is that when we did a truss
-p on the process there was a incredible amount of calls to time().
(Unfortunately we did not do a trusss -c to have exact numbers on
this: we may do some controlled experiments next week where we'll
measure this exactly.) A graph of vmstat activity averaged over 100
seconds shows that at the moment of the truss there were around 80k
system calls/second.

So what does the application do? One one server it reads a big file in
XML format that is stored in a queue (on the broker). An adapter on a
distant server retrieves the documents in that queue. The problem is
that it retrieves the documents very slowly compared to another
server. The physical difference is that the broker server and the
adapter that retrieves the documents are on the same LAN  with a
simple switch next to each other (in the FAST case); in the SLOW case
the two are in a VLAN on two separate sites situated approximately 1
km apart.

Of course, it's hard to know what the broker is doing in this case...
But, if anyone has a clue to why a process communicating with the
distant server would call time() something like 70k times/second we'd
appreciate it!

Thanks in advance for any help or ideas.

Best regards,

Frank Olsen
0
folsen

Some additional info here would really help, but I'll
proffer some guesses:

* is the app using UDP and using a clumsy retransmit scheme?
* is the app failing to handle possible packet fragmentation?
* does the app check timestamps on things; are the machines
  in sync wrt time?

- Bart

folsen@acm.org (Frank Olsen) wrote in message news:<53cb967a.0312170715.56c6bc70@posting.google.com>...
> Hi,
>
> We've got a performance problem on an application (webmethods
> Enterprise Server -> and the process awbroker) on Solaris 8. The same
> configuration on a different machine works just fine and we can't find
> any configuration differences in the application itself... What is
> different the network configuration, but I'll return to that in a
> minute.
>
> The only reason for posting to this group is that when we did a truss
> -p on the process there was a incredible amount of calls to time().
> (Unfortunately we did not do a trusss -c to have exact numbers on
> this: we may do some controlled experiments next week where we'll
> measure this exactly.) A graph of vmstat activity averaged over 100
> seconds shows that at the moment of the truss there were around 80k
> system calls/second.
>
> So what does the application do? One one server it reads a big file in
> XML format that is stored in a queue (on the broker). An adapter on a
> distant server retrieves the documents in that queue. The problem is
> that it retrieves the documents very slowly compared to another
> server. The physical difference is that the broker server and the
> adapter that retrieves the documents are on the same LAN  with a
> simple switch next to each other (in the FAST case); in the SLOW case
> the two are in a VLAN on two separate sites situated approximately 1
> km apart.
>
> Of course, it's hard to know what the broker is doing in this case...
> But, if anyone has a clue to why a process communicating with the
> distant server would call time() something like 70k times/second we'd
> appreciate it!
>
> Thanks in advance for any help or ideas.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Frank Olsen
0
barts

Keeping VoIP calls up while high IP Input process cpu time
Hello, I was having a problem with a router that I'm not sure how's the best way to prevent it from happening again. I have a MC3810 running 12.3, and it provides a PRI and NAT through a T1 data connection. One of the computers running through the NAT got a virus and started opening up thousands of connections to port 443 per second. This caused the IP Input process to max out the CPU time, and as a side effect VoIP calls couldn't go through. I fixed the problem with an access list so that port won't be a problem in the future, however, I'm sure at some time so...

cpu time usage of multi threaded process and single threaded process.
these are 2 programs for matrix multiplication. :- 1st one is implemented using multiple threading and 2nd using single threading. Process' Cpu time for both comes out to be same ..... but should be less for multi threaded process. Plzz help why Cpu time is same.... ? program1 using multiple threading :- #include<signal.h> #include<stdio.h> #include<sys/types.h> #include<unistd.h> #include<pthread.h> #include<time.h> // decleared globally so can be used by all threads through resorce shareing and dont get destroyed on exit of threads...

system idle process high cpu usage
hello I was having problems with 100% cpu usage & at the Microsoft site they specified to install the patch to overcome the problem & i did. Now System idle Process shows 100% cpu usage. Please give the solution at the earliest. Thanking you. -- matrex722 ...

High (80-90%) CPU usage on W98
I have a 1989 Dell Dimension XPS T500MHz w/ 512MB RAM, running Win98. Recently, the system has been extremely processor bound, as demonstraded by System Monitor (Kernel Proc Usage tends to "redline"). I have been unable to identify the culprit, but a CTL-ALT-DEL does shows tasks by the name of "ccd", "cfd" and "mdm". When I kill these tasks (usually the are "not responding"), the perfromance does improve. I have searched high and low in documentation and on the net, trying to identify what these tasks are. They do NOT appear in the mscon...

process memory usage, CPU Time by given
ello, How ACE allows to access a process memory usage, CPU Time by given PID? Thanks. ...

How do I get percentage CPU usage of processes for a specified time interval?
How do I get percentage CPU usage of processes for a specified time interval? I'm wish to write a script, part of which displays the top 10 processes by percentage processor usage over a 30 second interval. I know "topas" can show this, but I need to be able to process the information in a script. The output from "ps" doesn't seem to give the neccessary resolution... Can anybody give me some pointers as to how this can be done? Many Thanks, =Adrian= Adrian Davis wrote: > How do I get percentage CPU usage of processes for a specified time > interval? &g...

How can a process consume kernel CPU time without making system calls?
I'm trying to track down what is going on with a particular rogue application process on a customer site running AIX 4.3.3. Under defined circumstances, the application process can be fired up and while seemingly doing nothing will soar to the top of the topas list of jobs whilst taking the system from largely idle to heavily CPU bound. When this happens, it is always the kernel histogram that goes highest, and if I time(1) the process from start to when I break it out of the resource hogging section I get output like this: usr:5.41 sys:19.53 total:24.94 elapsed:0m31.11s It seemed...

Comcast cable internet -> CPU mostly 100% (tool to show per-process usage)?
Ever since I got my High Speed Digital Internet access from Comcast/Verizon, my CPU runs mostly at 100% and I frequently have long (5-30 second) lockups for no reason (sometimes coincides with changing window focus). I am running Windows 98 and the crummy taks process program (Ctl-Alt-Del) does not show CPU usage per-process so I can't tell what is hogging it all. Is there a good freeware/trialware performance monitor that will show this for W98? Anybody get Virzon/Comcast and then figure this out? Is there a better place to post? > Ever since I got my High Speed Digital ...

High SYS cpu usage and high intr in mpstat
I'am having a high SYS cpu usage on one of my servers. These are the details. uname -a SunOS 5.8 Generic_117350-21 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-280R psrinfo 0 on-line since 10/23/06 10:59:17 1 on-line since 10/23/06 10:59:18 sar 12:43:04 %usr %sys %wio %idle 12:43:05 0 51 1 48 12:43:06 0 50 0 50 mpstat CPU minf mjf xcal intr ithr csw icsw migr smtx srw syscl usr sys wt idl 0 0 0 318 610 509 0 0 0 33 0 0 0 100 0 0 1 1 0 2 497908 298 502 8 0 32 0 360 0...

High Execution Time--Low CPU time for statements
Scenario: new functionality was recently deployed in a 3-tier business application. Since deployment, CPU use has shot up to very high levels. Using event monitors to try to track down the culprits hasn't fingered any bad query in particular who's hogging CPU. One interesting anomaly is that there is a single type of query that averages 70 seconds of real time (with highs of 100-300 seconds) while expending zero seconds of CPU. The query in question takes the form "SELECT * FROM TABLE WHERE COLUMN = 'VALUE'" where the value is the first element in the prima...

Poor Performance: High Real Time/CPU Time Ratio
My database is suffering from poor performance of late. Reports that used to run in a reasonable time, now take a while. The explain output show that the query is fully indexed, and the statistics are up to date. Using a statement monitor I was able to determine that a particular query took 545 seconds of real time to run, yet only 19 seconds of CPU. According to my system monitoring tools, I had plenty of idle CPU cycles and free memory laying around, and I/O was normal, so the box was not at capacity during the execution of the query. I didn't see any query waiting on locks using...

High CPU usage
Hi Guys, Recently I was having trouble working with SWX2005. When I login; It works fine for 10-15 min but after that even if I just try to change the diamension or try to zoom in the CPU usage zooms to 100% and remains there for a while. If any of u guys have experienced such a problem and figured out the solution ; Can u please post it here. Thanking you, Vishal Assuming that you are using xp or something close, what does your physical memory and commit charge numbers (from task manager performance tab) look like during a session in which you are experiencing the high cpu useage? &quo...

Truss usage on Solaris
Hi all, I am new to solaris and I would like to know how to use truss command to analyze or debug processes. Please help me from where I can get detailed information regarding TRUSS cmd usage. Thanks in advance. ravi wrote: > Hi all, I am new to solaris and I would like to know how to use truss > command to analyze or debug processes. Please help me from where I can > get detailed information regarding TRUSS cmd usage. > There isn't a TRUSS command, but truss is well documented by its man page. -- Ian Collins. On Sat, 10 May 2008 20:03:55 +1200, Ian Collins <ian-news@h...

cpu time high
we are using db2 udb v8.1 on windows 64bit, somehow , there are two database being used under one instance, somehow, service db2sysc CPU takes up to 70%, but the memory use about 1/3 only. and the application is slow down. so what kind of process is taking the cpu ? thanks Are you running a complex query? Can you use the db2 explain facilities to see what's happening (or the snapshot monitor)? db2group88@yahoo.com wrote: > we are using db2 udb v8.1 on windows 64bit, somehow , there are two > database being used under one instance, somehow, service db2sysc CPU > tak...

High CPU usage
We recently migrated from Oracle 9.2.0.1(Solaris 9) standalone to 2 node Oracle 10.2.0.2 RAC(solaris 9). Previously database used to run on 4*900MHZ CPUs and now it runs on 2*4*1.2GHZ CPUs. After this migration cpu usage on both nodes are very high. In the range of 70-80%. (Beforein 9i it used to be less then 20%). The thing which bothers me is out of that 70% CPU usage, oracle is using about 40% and Kernel is using about 30%. I bumped SGA and PGA on both nodes and usage is still same. Any pointers on what to look would be appreciated. Thanks shiva wrote: > We recently migrated from Ora...

High CPU Usage
Mrs, I have a bind 9.2.2 and my cpu usage arrives at 99% in named proccess. I restart my NAMED and it's work fine. But it's work fine around 2 days, and NAMED proccess arrives to 99% again. Anyone help me? Thanks, Dud. ...

High cpu usage
:( My pc has developed a high cpu usage problem, I have scanned for spyware trojans and everything i can think off, no joy. The only time it drops is when i take the cable modem offline and sometimes when I reboot, can anyone help with this as all the other things I have tried have so far failed......................Ronnie ronnie46 wrote: > :( My pc has developed a high cpu usage problem, I have scanned for > spyware trojans and everything i can think off, no joy. The only time > it drops is when i take the cable modem offline and sometimes when I > reboot, can anyone h...

High CPU usage
When the Solaris box rebooted, when it comes up without IDS up the CPU idle is around 90% and System CPU usage is around 10-20%. Then once the IDS engine is started CPU usage suddenly increased to 80-90% System Idle becomes 20-5%. At this point only IDS is up without any client connections. IDS is 11.10.FC3W1 --000e0cd6081e5ddc360485b5414c Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1 Post your hardware configuration (number, speed, and type of CPUs, system model, amount of memory, etc.), the contents of your ONCONFIG file and sqlhosts file, and the output from: onstat -p ...

Show CPU and process
Hi All, What is the equivalent for prstat and top under Unix AIX ? Thanks a lot Besr Regards Rahan I've used the command below: topas The topas command enables you to perform broad-spectrum performance analysis. topas -D Rahan wrote: > Hi All, > > What is the equivalent for prstat and top under Unix AIX ? > > Thanks a lot > > Besr Regards > Rahan sarccastik@gmail.com wrote: > I've used the command below: > > topas > The topas command enables you to perform broad-spectrum performance > analysis. > > topas -D > > ...

time in milliseconds by calling time.time()
I am trying to measure some system response time by using the time.time () or time.clock() in my script. However, the numbers I get are in 10s of milliseconds. For example, 1248481670.34 #from time.time() 0.08 #from time.clock() That won't work for me, since the response time may be only a few milliseconds. My environment is Solaris 10 with Python 2.4.4 (#7, Feb 9 2007, 22:10:21). SunOS 5.10 Generic_137112-07 i86pc i386 i86pc The tricky thing is, if I run the python interpreter and import the time module, I can get a time floating number in better precision by cal...

High CPU usage
Hi, if I log in to my remote machine I see a CPU usage of 70-98%. This seems to be too much!? What can cause that? Thilo -- thilo pfennig alternatives news netzwerk http://www.alternativ.net/news ...

process cpu usage
if a process is consuming 100% cpu does it mean the other processes will not get share of cpu at all, if no how does the os calculates if process has used up it's share of cpu. tia sinbad <sinbad.sinbad@gmail.com> wrote: > if a process is consuming 100% cpu does it mean the > other processes will not get share of cpu at all No, > if no how does the os calculates if process has used up it's share of > cpu. Timesharing, see <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time-sharing> Yours, VB. -- “Isabell steht auf Cocktailschirmchen, Analverkehr und H...

Process Scehduling in Unix version Sun Solaris (I know this is the linux group but I couldnt find a sun solaris one)
I just needed to find out how processes are scheduled in Sun's solaris and an outline of the scheduling algorithm - I've looked on the web without anyluck - couldnt find anything specific. "Amerz" <amerdeep@gmail.com> writes: > I just needed to find out how processes are scheduled in Sun's solaris > and an outline of the scheduling algorithm - I've looked on the web > without anyluck - couldnt find anything specific. > Assuming oyu mean threads too, then you didnt look very hard - first search gives this: http://www.google.de/search?q=solaris+ke...

ace 5.6: ACE_Event used across processes on solaris 8, sparc V9 some times does not signal the waiting process
Hello, We have a process that creates a ACE_Event of manual type with a name, and then does timed_wait on it. Another process uses the name of event to signal the above waiting process. We have been seeing an issue (not that frequently but fairly regular), that even though the process has signalled the event, that process doing timed_wait never gets to know that event is signalled and it keeps on doing timed_wait until it exits. This behaviour has been observed in solaris 8 sparc V9. We have compiled ace using gcc. We had debugged the ace code using gdb and every time we debug, we found no issues at all. The process doing timed_wait was getting to know about event being signalled. A code walkthrough was undertaken which also yeilded nothing but conclusion that code seems to be clear of any bugs. The analysis done from code walkthrough is: 1. When USYNC_PROCESS is used for ACE_Event, it uses POSIX thread conditional variables for synchronization among processes. 2. A call to shm_open is made to get shared memory 3. The shared memory is then made to store a structure variable by presetting its size using ftruncate. 4. Finally a mmap is called with MAP_SHARED option to share it with other processes. 5. And then the updates to the shared memory happens based on synchronization primitives posix conditional variables. Please correct me if I am missing anything. It would be of great help. So based analysis of ...

Web resources about - Truss on process with high CPU usage shows 90 % time() calls - comp.unix.solaris

Andrussow process - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A-League: Kevin Muscat blasts Arnold, FFA disciplinary process ahead of 'massive game'
Melbourne Victory coach Kevin Muscat has blamed Sydney boss Graham Arnold for getting his star winger Kosta Barbarouses banned for two matches ...

Council wants review into controversial high-rise development process
... Bayswater will lobby the state government to review what a councillor has called the "anti-democratic" state development assessment panel process. ...

The View From Up North: And I Thought Canada’s Supreme Court Nomination Process Was Screwy
This Canadian lawyer thinks America's political divisiveness makes its Supreme Court nomination process look like a joke.

Only 37% of retailers in the US can process chip-embedded cards, survey says
... company called The Strawhecker Group (TSG) released the results of a study that found that only 37 percent of US retailers were ready to process ...

Long Late Night Open Thread: The GOP Caucus in Nevada, Now in Process
Just under 10 percent of Republicans have pre-registered, surpassing total caucus turnout (8%) in '12. 10% is new baseline for enthusiasm! — ...

French shipping exec on Amazon: 'It is in the process of becoming our largest competitor'
... in mind, at least one of its shipping partners is saying the writing on the wall is clear. “Amazon is our biggest customer. It is in the process ...

Hoyer on Supreme Court Nomination: ‘Constitution Doesn’t Mandate’ Senate To Advance Nominee Process
Minority Whip Steny Hoyer (D-Md.) said the Constitution does not require the U.S. Senate to give “advice and consent” on President Barack Obama’s ...

The Endangered Critical Process in the Digital Age
... for ones that provide links to additional material. The reason is that those help move my thinking forward. They are part of the critical process ...

Gianni Infantino to start 2026 World Cup bidding process - ESPN FC
Elected to lead FIFA into a new era, President Gianni Infantino spent his first day at the office in fluorescent green boots on Monday.