U10/Solaris 9 box going to suspended mode and then shutting down?

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

When you install Solaris 9 in a Sun ultra 10, is it setup to go to
sleep?  I am here minding my own business while logged into the U10
through its serial port and then get the following messages:

# Mar  7 09:56:41 ficus cpr: System is being suspended
Saving System State. Please Wait..

Now, the interesting part is that I had installed its OS last friday and
had it on for the entire weekend without any problem.  But today, when I
walked in and connected to its serial port as root and tried to see what
was happening, it worked as it should for a bit but then it went to this
suspended mode and turned itself off (power supply fan is not spinning).

How is that setup and how to make it wake up if you are connected to it
either by serial port or ssh?

--
Mauricio                                raub-kudria-com
(if you need to email me, use this address =)

0
Reply Mauricio 3/7/2005 4:08:21 PM

See related articles to this posting

Mauricio Tavares <uce@ftc.gov> wrote:
> When you install Solaris 9 in a Sun ultra 10, is it setup to go to
> sleep?  I am here minding my own business while logged into the U10
> through its serial port and then get the following messages:

> # Mar  7 09:56:41 ficus cpr: System is being suspended
> Saving System State. Please Wait..

> Now, the interesting part is that I had installed its OS last friday and
> had it on for the entire weekend without any problem.  But today, when I
> walked in and connected to its serial port as root and tried to see what
> was happening, it worked as it should for a bit but then it went to this
> suspended mode and turned itself off (power supply fan is not spinning).

> How is that setup and how to make it wake up if you are connected to it
> either by serial port or ssh?

A "suspended" system is powered off.  You can't connect via SSH, and a
standard (ttya) serial port is not powered.  If you have LOM or RSC
support, you can power the system back on.  Otherwise, you have to press
the power button yourself.

--
Darren Dunham                                           ddunham@taos.com
Reply Darren 3/7/2005 5:52:18 PM

Darren Dunham wrote:
> Mauricio Tavares <uce@ftc.gov> wrote:

[...]
>>How is that setup and how to make it wake up if you are connected to it
>>either by serial port or ssh?
>

> A "suspended" system is powered off.  You can't connect via SSH, and a
> standard (ttya) serial port is not powered.  If you have LOM or RSC
> support, you can power the system back on.  Otherwise, you have to press
> the power button yourself.

	Then, the question becomes why it is going into suspended mode and how
can I tell it not to do it anymore?

--
Mauricio                                raub-kudria-com
(if you need to email me, use this address =)

0
Reply Mauricio 3/7/2005 7:23:43 PM

Mauricio Tavares <uce@ftc.gov> wrote:
> Darren Dunham wrote:
>> Mauricio Tavares <uce@ftc.gov> wrote:
>>
> [...]
>>>How is that setup and how to make it wake up if you are connected to it
>>>either by serial port or ssh?
>>

>> A "suspended" system is powered off.  You can't connect via SSH, and a
>> standard (ttya) serial port is not powered.  If you have LOM or RSC
>> support, you can power the system back on.  Otherwise, you have to press
>> the power button yourself.
>>
> 	Then, the question becomes why it is going into suspended mode and how
> can I tell it not to do it anymore?

/etc/power.conf
/etc/default/power

power.conf and pmconfig have man pages.

At installation time, it should have asked if you wanted it to power off
automatically.  Putting 'noshutdown' in the power.conf line should tell
it not to.

--
Darren Dunham                                           ddunham@taos.com
Reply Darren 3/7/2005 9:26:42 PM

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

XANADU Technologies Are Going Too Release An Amiga Set Top Box On 9-9-9
XANADU Technologies is developing an Amiga Set Top Box which will contain a 480gb Hard Drive containing the complete catalogue of Amiga Games and Applications over its rich history. It will be sold in America $999, while the price in England is still to be announced. In article <24a91829-d879-40b6-967e-bb58e346f179@v28g2000vbb.googlegroups.com>, GoldenHeart <neo_fortune_1969@yahoo.co.uk> wrote: >XANADU Technologies is developing an Amiga Set Top Box which will >contain a 480gb Hard Drive containing the complete catalogue of >Amiga Games and Applications over ...

XANADU Technologies Are Going To Release An Amiga Set Top Box On 9-9-9.
XANADU Technologies is developing an Amiga Set Top Box which will contain a 480gb Hard Drive containing the complete catalogue of Amiga Games and Applications over its rich history. It will be sold in America $999, while the price in England is still to be announced. On 1 Apr, 00:19, GoldenHeart <neo_fortune_1...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote: > XANADU Technologies is developing an Amiga Set Top Box which will > contain a 480gb Hard Drive containing the complete catalogue of Amiga > Games and Applications over its rich history. It will be sold in > America $999, while the price...

XANADU Technologies Are Going Too Release An Amiga Set Top Box On 9-9-9
XANADU Technologies is developing an Amiga Set Top Box which will contain a 480gb Hard Drive containing the complete catalogue of Amiga Games and Applications over its rich history. It will be sold in America $999, while the price in England is still to be announced. On 1 Apr, 14:50, GoldenHeart <neo_fortune_1...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote: > XANADU Technologies is developing an > Amiga Set Top Box which will > contain a 480gb Hard Drive containing the complete > catalogue of Amiga > Games and Applications over its rich history. It will be > sold in > America...

Cracklib on solaris 9 box
I've downloaded cracklib 2.8.9 from sourceforge and been trying to compile it unsuccefully on a solaris 9 server. Im using gcc 4.0.2 form blastwave.org. Compilation fails on the fascist.c file reporting the following error: gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.. -I. -I.. -I../lib -DIN_CRACKLIB -DDEFAULT_CRACKLIB_DICT=\"/usr/local/share/cracklib/pw_dict\" -g -O2 -MT fascist.lo -MD -MP -MF .deps/fascist.Tpo -c fascist.c -fPIC -DPIC -o .libs/fascist.o fascist.c: In function 'FascistGecos': fascist.c:525: error: too many arguments to function 'getpwuid_r' Now I go and c...

graphical mode in solaris 9
when I boot my sun solaris 9 , it directly goes in commnad prompt mode. How can I go to graphical mode? i wanted to install oracle 10..it won't allow me for 256 color display problem Any help appreciated. Thank you. On Jun 13, 9:36 pm, shamir600 <shamir...@gmail.com> wrote: > when I boot my sun solaris 9 , it directly goes in commnad prompt > mode. How can I go to graphical mode? > i wanted to install oracle 10..it won't allow me for 256 color display > problem > Any help appreciated. > Thank you. man dtlogin On Jun 15, 3:34 am, "Franco S." <fr...

My solaris 9.0 auto shut down after 30min.
My solaris auto shut down power after 30 min., if nobody touch it. What is it reason? Is it because I enable power management during I install 9.0? If it is, how can I disable it. TIA, ST First, shut down the powerd daemon. #/etc/rc2.d/S85power stop Then disable the startup of this script # mv /etc/rc2.d/S85power to /etc/rc2.d/disabled.S85power To be really sure that no patch recreates S85power and enables it, add 'noshutdown' to /etc/power.conf (the Behavior field) Regards, //Daniel wld wrote: > My solaris auto shut down power after 30 min., if nobody touch it. > What i...

How do I find the hardware paths of the disks on a solaris 9 box?
Hi, Could someone please tell me how to find the hardware paths of the disks on a solaris 9 box? Please let me know if this is not the right forum to ask this question and direct me to the right one. Thanks, Kiran On Sun, 21 Jan 2007, kp wrote: > Could someone please tell me how to find the hardware paths of the > disks on a solaris 9 box? Is the output of "ls -l /dev/dsk" what you're after? > Please let me know if this is not the right forum to ask this question > and direct me to the right one. This is the right place. HTH, -- Rich Teer, SCSA, SCNA, SCSE...

Solaris 9 does not want to boot anymore after moving the box.
Hi, Today we moved a few computers in the server room to us the space more optimal. One Sun UltraSparc2, our NIS server, refused to boot up in normal mode, single user mode works fine, but I don't want that right now... It stops doing anyting after checking and mounting the local filesystems, starting a few services, and setting the gateway... The last things on screen are: Setting netmask of hme0 to 255.255.255.0 (like it should be) Setting default IPv4 interface for multivast: add net 224.0/4: gateway hostname Where hostname is subistituted by my hostname... Any pointers?? Th...

Solaris 9 and Sunscreen 3.2 Stealth Mode
Hi, I've got a Sun V100 running Solaris 9 08/03 which I would like to run Sunscreen 3.2 on. I've updated the system, installed all of the Sunscreen pre-requisite patches etc and the Sunscreen software. I would like to run this in stealth mode, where dmfe0 will be the interface pointing to the outside world, and dmfe1 will point to the inside. Currently, I only have dmfe1 configured with an IP for administrative purposes (as required). For dmfe0, is it sufficient to simply have a blank /etc/hostname.dmfe0? I don't want the firewall to have an IP address. Afterwards I assume its po...

what pizza box sparcs are Solaris 9 or 10 capable?
Can anyone point me to a directory of ancient sun hardware (with pictures)? I'm looking for a sparc that I can readily take on an airplane. It doesn't need to be powerful, but it needs to be able to run Solaris 9 or 10. I'm thinking that the pizza-box sparcs are old enough to be cheap, but I don't know which ones will run Solaris 9 or 10, and which ones won't. I bought a Blade 1000 for 225 Euro and it's great. But it's too big to take with me. The pizza-box workstation can be diskless - I can run Solaris 10 on my pc and boot it from there. I just need to be ab...

Is there going to be a port to Solaris 9 x86 in the near future???
All: Does anyone know if there is going to be a port to Solaris 9 x86 in the near future. What is the decission to develop on this platform since Sun is pushing Solaris x86 harder than ever. -- Christopher Smiga System Engineer (Sun SCSA) N2 Broadband Network Operations Phone: 888-671-1268 (NOC) e-Mail: csmiga@n2bb.com ----- N2 Broadband, Inc. (www.n2bb.com) 4500 River Green Parkway, Suite 110 Duluth, GA. 30096-2564 ---------------------------(end of broadcast)--------------------------- TIP 5: Have you checked our extensive FAQ? http://www.postgr...

Re: what pizza box sparcs are Solaris 9 or 10 capable?
On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 21:38:14 +0200 "Charles T. Smith" <cts.private@yahoo.com> wrote: > On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 16:08:25 +0000, Doug McIntyre wrote: >=20 > > "Charles T. Smith" <cts.private@yahoo.com> writes: > >>Can anyone point me to a directory of ancient sun hardware (with > >>pictures)? > >=20 > >>I'm looking for a sparc that I can readily take on an airplane. It > >>doesn't need to be powerful, but it needs to be able to run Solaris > >>9 or 10. > >=20 > >>I'm thinking th...

Can't change IP address on Solaris 9 box
Hi, all. I'm pretty new to Solaris 9; all of my experience is on earlier versions. I have a Netra210 on which I can't permantley reconfigure the IP adress on 1 interface (bge0). It always comes up with a 192.168.x.x address. Has something changed in Solaris 9? I don't know what I'm missing. I've configured the /etc/hosts, /etc/hostname.bge0, /etc/netmasks, and /etc/defaultrouter files...still nothing. Any ideas? Thanks, Ben.. root@admin # ifconfig -a lo0: flags=2001000849<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST,IPv4,VIRTUAL> mtu 8232 index 1 inet 127.0.0.1 netmask ff...

Solaris 9 box as bootp/tftpd server to install debian in SS1+
Easy question: I want to set my ss20 (solaris9) box so I can use it to netinstall debian linux in my SS1+. So, I o created a /etc/ethers file # cat /etc/ethers 8:0:20:c0:ff:ee katrina # o added an entry to my /etc/hosts file 10.0.0.17 katrina.kushana.com katrina # SS1+ running Debian Linux o manually started /usr/sbin/in.rarpd (as in /usr/sbin/in.rarpd -a -d), which results in the following messages: # /usr/sbin/in.rarpd -a -d /usr/sbin/in.rarpd:[1] device le0 ethernetaddress 8:0:20:71:a0:87 /usr/sbin/in.rarpd:[1] device le0 address 10.0.0.13 /usr/sbin/in.rarpd:[1] ...

Booting Solaris 9 x86 in single user mode from the install CD
Hello, What is the procedure to boot in single user mode from the Solaris 9 x86 CD ? On SPARC I would only have to type boot cdrom -s but on x86 I'm somehow confused... Thanks synuw <syn_uw@nospam_hotmail.com> wrote: > Hello, > What is the procedure to boot in single user mode from the Solaris 9 x86 > CD ? After you get past the bus scan, and then pick the boot device, it should present you with a prompt to (b)oot or go (i)nteractive > Assuming you've picked the CD already as the device, just do a 'b -s' there. -- Darren Dunham ...

Solaris 9 12/02 install, how to get SunScreen Admin going????
I have a recent Solaris 12/02 with the SunScreen packages installed during the installtion. I see I have to configure the SunScreen via the browser http://localhost:3852 But of course there is no server listening on port 3852. I look over in /etc/sunscreen: I see that the file AdminSetup.readme is size 0! Nice! I see there is an httd/apache-httpd.conf file here so I figure I need Apache. I do a "# /usr/local/apache/apache-2.0.42/bin/httpd -f /etc/sunscreen/httpd/apache-httpd.conf" and here is the output being barfed back to me: Syntax error on line 121 of /etc/suns...

Is there a way to get a gnome or CDE session to a HEADLESS solaris 9 box ?
I just installed solaris 9 on a brand new V240. There is no graphic card on the V240 and X is not running. It there a way to use Cygwin/X (or exceed) and start a CDE or GNOME session on the box from my PC ? What about over VNC ? Direction/pointers appreciated. Thanks a lot ! G Dahler wrote: > I just installed solaris 9 on a brand new V240. There is no graphic card on > the V240 and X is not running. It there a way to use Cygwin/X (or exceed) > and start a CDE or GNOME session on the box from my PC ? > > What about over VNC ? Yup, VNC is sooo easy. Just install the client...

Single Box installation OCS 10G release 2 on Solaris 9
Hello everyone! I've been leeching from this newsgroup for years, posting a little follow-up now and then.. And finally the time has arrived for me to try and post something useful here. Well, useful.. It's a question, so no idea what someone can do with that besides trying to answer it. But give it your best shot! :) I won't mind, really. My question: Is there ANY documentation about a single box install on Solaris? Right now I am using a document I found on Metalink, but it describes a single box installation of OCS 903 on Linux. I managed to install the infrastructure, stor...

Solaris system locks up when left unattended. ?<System in Suspend mode>?
Hello everyone, I am installing the OS and testing a Sun V420R. As you all know the install process for Solaris 10 is rather lengthy, well I left the machine installing Solaris overnight and expected to come back in this morning and find a prompt for the Software Companion CD, but instead the system will not show a display! I tried moving the mouse a bit and tapped a few key combinations to see if i could get it to wake up but it seams to be non-responsive. The odd part of it is that this has happened a few times before -- however this is the first time I have encountered it durring an i...

How do you Clone 1 Live Solaris 10 Production box without shutting down all services?
Hello All, I run Solaris 10, how do I clone a Live Production Box, Sun T5420, to another T5420 that is non production? My company wont allow me to shut down all the services/users on the Live Production box, yet still wants me to preserve all zones, ACL Lists, ....everything CLEANLY to another IDENTICAL box. I've read the 2 node cluster guide from, *hmm*, Oracle Solaris, but dont have available to me a SCSI San system/box. I fully agree that the only CLEAN way to do it is to shutdown I run Solaris 10, how do I clone a Live Production Box, Sun T5420, to another T5420 t...

I'd like to know how to prevent to go sleep mode of linux box?
Hello.. I'd like to know how to prevent to go sleep mode of linux box? if there is no pressing of keyboard for about 10 minutes, my linux box go to sleep mode... ( it could be screen savor or could be power management of linux). if there is no keyboard pressing for about 10 mintest , all of contents of screen had disapper, at then if I press any keyboard all of contents of screen restored again... I just only use console mode , not use X11. I'm using kernel 2.4.20 that I build and origin disto is redhat 7.3. I don't want to go to sleep mode!!! Thanks.. ...

How do you Clone 1 Live Solaris 10 Production box without shutting down all services? #2
Hello All, I run Solaris 10, how do I clone a Live Production Box, Sun T5420, to another T5420 that is non production? My company wont allow me to shut down all the services/users on the Live Production box, yet still wants me to preserve all zones, ACL Lists, ....everything CLEANLY to another IDENTICAL box. I've read the 2 node cluster guide from, *hmm*, Oracle Solaris, but dont have available to me a SCSI San system/box. I fully agree that the only CLEAN way to do it is to shutdown all services/users, then do cloning/backingup/copying/whatever... but my company currentl...

I can not su to root on my Sun Solaris 9 (SPARC) box, even with the correct password
Could someone help me out with my problem / issue? I would greatly appreciate and be thankful for any help and / or guidance that anyone can give me. I recently upgraded the OS on my Sun box from Solaris 8 to Solaris 9 (SPARC platform). When I login as a regular user and then switch my login user id to root (using the su - ) command, I am not able to log in as root. I used the correct root password but still am not able to successfully su to root. I get the following error, when I attempt to su to root, in the listing below: Mon Dec 29 18:28:26 #whoami kshen Mon Dec 29 18:28:28 #su -...