U10/Solaris 9 box going to suspended mode and then shutting down?

When you install Solaris 9 in a Sun ultra 10, is it setup to go to
sleep?  I am here minding my own business while logged into the U10
through its serial port and then get the following messages:

# Mar  7 09:56:41 ficus cpr: System is being suspended
Saving System State. Please Wait..

Now, the interesting part is that I had installed its OS last friday and
had it on for the entire weekend without any problem.  But today, when I
walked in and connected to its serial port as root and tried to see what
was happening, it worked as it should for a bit but then it went to this
suspended mode and turned itself off (power supply fan is not spinning).

How is that setup and how to make it wake up if you are connected to it
either by serial port or ssh?

--
Mauricio                                raub-kudria-com
(if you need to email me, use this address =)

0
Mauricio

Mauricio Tavares <uce@ftc.gov> wrote:
> When you install Solaris 9 in a Sun ultra 10, is it setup to go to
> sleep?  I am here minding my own business while logged into the U10
> through its serial port and then get the following messages:

> # Mar  7 09:56:41 ficus cpr: System is being suspended
> Saving System State. Please Wait..

> Now, the interesting part is that I had installed its OS last friday and
> had it on for the entire weekend without any problem.  But today, when I
> walked in and connected to its serial port as root and tried to see what
> was happening, it worked as it should for a bit but then it went to this
> suspended mode and turned itself off (power supply fan is not spinning).

> How is that setup and how to make it wake up if you are connected to it
> either by serial port or ssh?

A "suspended" system is powered off.  You can't connect via SSH, and a
standard (ttya) serial port is not powered.  If you have LOM or RSC
support, you can power the system back on.  Otherwise, you have to press
the power button yourself.

--
Darren Dunham                                           ddunham@taos.com
Darren
Darren Dunham wrote:
> Mauricio Tavares <uce@ftc.gov> wrote:

[...]
>>How is that setup and how to make it wake up if you are connected to it
>>either by serial port or ssh?
>

> A "suspended" system is powered off.  You can't connect via SSH, and a
> standard (ttya) serial port is not powered.  If you have LOM or RSC
> support, you can power the system back on.  Otherwise, you have to press
> the power button yourself.

	Then, the question becomes why it is going into suspended mode and how
can I tell it not to do it anymore?

--
Mauricio                                raub-kudria-com
(if you need to email me, use this address =)

0
Mauricio
3/7/2005 7:23:43 PM
Mauricio Tavares <uce@ftc.gov> wrote:
> Darren Dunham wrote:
>> Mauricio Tavares <uce@ftc.gov> wrote:
>>
> [...]
>>>How is that setup and how to make it wake up if you are connected to it
>>>either by serial port or ssh?
>>

>> A "suspended" system is powered off.  You can't connect via SSH, and a
>> standard (ttya) serial port is not powered.  If you have LOM or RSC
>> support, you can power the system back on.  Otherwise, you have to press
>> the power button yourself.
>>
> 	Then, the question becomes why it is going into suspended mode and how
> can I tell it not to do it anymore?

/etc/power.conf
/etc/default/power

power.conf and pmconfig have man pages.

At installation time, it should have asked if you wanted it to power off
automatically.  Putting 'noshutdown' in the power.conf line should tell
it not to.