U10/Solaris 9 box going to suspended mode and then shutting down?

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

When you install Solaris 9 in a Sun ultra 10, is it setup to go to
sleep?  I am here minding my own business while logged into the U10
through its serial port and then get the following messages:

# Mar  7 09:56:41 ficus cpr: System is being suspended
Saving System State. Please Wait..

Now, the interesting part is that I had installed its OS last friday and
had it on for the entire weekend without any problem.  But today, when I
walked in and connected to its serial port as root and tried to see what
was happening, it worked as it should for a bit but then it went to this
suspended mode and turned itself off (power supply fan is not spinning).

How is that setup and how to make it wake up if you are connected to it
either by serial port or ssh?

--
Mauricio                                raub-kudria-com
(if you need to email me, use this address =)

0
Reply Mauricio 3/7/2005 4:08:21 PM

See related articles to this posting

Mauricio Tavares <uce@ftc.gov> wrote:
> When you install Solaris 9 in a Sun ultra 10, is it setup to go to
> sleep?  I am here minding my own business while logged into the U10
> through its serial port and then get the following messages:

> # Mar  7 09:56:41 ficus cpr: System is being suspended
> Saving System State. Please Wait..

> Now, the interesting part is that I had installed its OS last friday and
> had it on for the entire weekend without any problem.  But today, when I
> walked in and connected to its serial port as root and tried to see what
> was happening, it worked as it should for a bit but then it went to this
> suspended mode and turned itself off (power supply fan is not spinning).

> How is that setup and how to make it wake up if you are connected to it
> either by serial port or ssh?

A "suspended" system is powered off.  You can't connect via SSH, and a
standard (ttya) serial port is not powered.  If you have LOM or RSC
support, you can power the system back on.  Otherwise, you have to press
the power button yourself.

--
Darren Dunham                                           ddunham@taos.com
Reply Darren 3/7/2005 5:52:18 PM

Darren Dunham wrote:
> Mauricio Tavares <uce@ftc.gov> wrote:

[...]
>>How is that setup and how to make it wake up if you are connected to it
>>either by serial port or ssh?
>

> A "suspended" system is powered off.  You can't connect via SSH, and a
> standard (ttya) serial port is not powered.  If you have LOM or RSC
> support, you can power the system back on.  Otherwise, you have to press
> the power button yourself.

	Then, the question becomes why it is going into suspended mode and how
can I tell it not to do it anymore?

--
Mauricio                                raub-kudria-com
(if you need to email me, use this address =)

0
Reply Mauricio 3/7/2005 7:23:43 PM

Mauricio Tavares <uce@ftc.gov> wrote:
> Darren Dunham wrote:
>> Mauricio Tavares <uce@ftc.gov> wrote:
>>
> [...]
>>>How is that setup and how to make it wake up if you are connected to it
>>>either by serial port or ssh?
>>

>> A "suspended" system is powered off.  You can't connect via SSH, and a
>> standard (ttya) serial port is not powered.  If you have LOM or RSC
>> support, you can power the system back on.  Otherwise, you have to press
>> the power button yourself.
>>
> 	Then, the question becomes why it is going into suspended mode and how
> can I tell it not to do it anymore?

/etc/power.conf
/etc/default/power

power.conf and pmconfig have man pages.

At installation time, it should have asked if you wanted it to power off
automatically.  Putting 'noshutdown' in the power.conf line should tell
it not to.

--
Darren Dunham                                           ddunham@taos.com
Reply Darren 3/7/2005 9:26:42 PM

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

XANADU Technologies Are Going Too Release An Amiga Set Top Box On 9-9-9
XANADU Technologies is developing an Amiga Set Top Box which will contain a 480gb Hard Drive containing the complete catalogue of Amiga Games and Applications over its rich history. It will be sold in America $999, while the price in England is still to be announced. In article <24a91829-d879-40b6-967e-bb58e346f179@v28g2000vbb.googlegroups.com>, GoldenHeart <neo_fortune_1969@yahoo.co.uk> wrote: >XANADU Technologies is developing an Amiga Set Top Box which will >contain a 480gb Hard Drive containing the complete catalogue of >Amiga Games and Applications over ...

XANADU Technologies Are Going To Release An Amiga Set Top Box On 9-9-9.
XANADU Technologies is developing an Amiga Set Top Box which will contain a 480gb Hard Drive containing the complete catalogue of Amiga Games and Applications over its rich history. It will be sold in America $999, while the price in England is still to be announced. On 1 Apr, 00:19, GoldenHeart <neo_fortune_1...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote: > XANADU Technologies is developing an Amiga Set Top Box which will > contain a 480gb Hard Drive containing the complete catalogue of Amiga > Games and Applications over its rich history. It will be sold in > America $999, while the price...

XANADU Technologies Are Going Too Release An Amiga Set Top Box On 9-9-9
XANADU Technologies is developing an Amiga Set Top Box which will contain a 480gb Hard Drive containing the complete catalogue of Amiga Games and Applications over its rich history. It will be sold in America $999, while the price in England is still to be announced. On 1 Apr, 14:50, GoldenHeart <neo_fortune_1...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote: > XANADU Technologies is developing an > Amiga Set Top Box which will > contain a 480gb Hard Drive containing the complete > catalogue of Amiga > Games and Applications over its rich history. It will be > sold in > America...

Updating Solaris 9 12/03 to Solaris 9 9/05
I have looked at SunSolve and found the following: http://www.sun.com/service/sunupdate/hosted/#system "Sun Update Connection - System is currently available for Solaris 10 systems only." I'm looking for a commandline method to update Solaris 9 12/03 to Solaris 9 9/05. Something similar to Linux's yum would be nice. Suggestions? Thanks, John On Thu, 16 Nov 2006, John wrote: > I'm looking for a commandline method to update Solaris 9 12/03 to Solaris 9 > 9/05. Something similar to Linux's yum would be nice. > > Suggestions? The closest thing is Li...

Can you install Solaris 9 into a Solaris 9 container?
I found a lot of documentation about installing a Solaris 9 flar into a Solaris 9 container. Can you install Solaris 9 from media into a container? B. On 04/18/11 11:44 AM, Bartholomew wrote: > I found a lot of documentation about installing a Solaris 9 flar into a > Solaris 9 container. Can you install Solaris 9 from media into a container? I don't think so. AFAIR it works only with a flar or ufsdump. On 2011-04-18 17:04:28 +0100, Oscar del Rio said: > On 04/18/11 11:44 AM, Bartholomew wrote: >> I found a lot of documentation about installing a Solaris 9 flar into a ...

LiveUpgrade older Solaris 9 to newer Solaris 9
We support 70 to 80 Sun systems running various releases of Solaris 9 (e.g. s9_58shwpl3, 12/02, 8/03, 4/04 and 9/04). Does anyone know if we can use LiveUpgrade to upgrade the older releases of Solaris 9 to the 9/04 release? We would like to get all of our systems running the 9/04 release of Solaris 9 and LiveUpgrade appears to be a quick and simple way of making that happen. Does anyone have experience doing this with LiveUpgrade? If LiveUpgrade can be used to do these upgrades, any idea if the use of LiveUpgrade in this manner is fully supported by Sun (i.e. if we run into a problem can ...

Which patch cluster: Solaris 9 or Solaris 9 Sun Alert ????
At http://sunsolve.sun.com/pub-cgi/show.pl?target=patches/patch-access there are two patch clusters for Solaris 9 (SPARC) 1) Solaris 9 Sun Alert Patch Cluster (127.6M) NAME: Solaris 9 Sun Alert Patch Cluster DATE: 12/24/2004 2) Solaris 9 (133.5M) NAME: Solaris 9 Recommended Patch Cluster DATE: Dec/23/04 Reading the README's for these I can't work out what is the difference between them. I've not checked each patch individually to see what is the latest, but why are there two copies? I must be missing something here. Dave <nospam@nowhere.com> wrote: > Rea...

Cracklib on solaris 9 box
I've downloaded cracklib 2.8.9 from sourceforge and been trying to compile it unsuccefully on a solaris 9 server. Im using gcc 4.0.2 form blastwave.org. Compilation fails on the fascist.c file reporting the following error: gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.. -I. -I.. -I../lib -DIN_CRACKLIB -DDEFAULT_CRACKLIB_DICT=\"/usr/local/share/cracklib/pw_dict\" -g -O2 -MT fascist.lo -MD -MP -MF .deps/fascist.Tpo -c fascist.c -fPIC -DPIC -o .libs/fascist.o fascist.c: In function 'FascistGecos': fascist.c:525: error: too many arguments to function 'getpwuid_r' Now I go and c...

graphical mode in solaris 9
when I boot my sun solaris 9 , it directly goes in commnad prompt mode. How can I go to graphical mode? i wanted to install oracle 10..it won't allow me for 256 color display problem Any help appreciated. Thank you. On Jun 13, 9:36 pm, shamir600 <shamir...@gmail.com> wrote: > when I boot my sun solaris 9 , it directly goes in commnad prompt > mode. How can I go to graphical mode? > i wanted to install oracle 10..it won't allow me for 256 color display > problem > Any help appreciated. > Thank you. man dtlogin On Jun 15, 3:34 am, "Franco S." <fr...

Sun Solaris Certification
Dear all: I am wondering what will be the right decision regarding Sun Solaris Certification, should I take Solaris 9 certification or should I go for Solaris 10. As I am quiet new in the Solaris field, question arises in my mind, if I get training on Solaris 10, can I easily work on Solaris 9 or Solaris 8 environment ? If any company works on Solaris 9 boxes, whom he will give preference first, Solaris 9 Admin or Solaris 10 Admin, or it does not matter on Solaris version ? Thanks in advance. Best reagrds zaki <shamim.zaki@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1162158973.912696.111680...

Amiga Set Top Box Is Being Released On 9-9-9
Memory: 2gb, 4gb, 8gb Processor: Intel Quad Core Hard Drives: 160gb, 320gb, 480gb Hardware: 3D G-Force Graphics Card, Headset For Speech Recognition, Wireless Keyboard/Mouse, 3xUSB, Scart & HDMI Connections Games: Civilisation, Elite, The Settlers Software: Amos, C++, Calendar, Deluxe Paint, E, Google Widget, Java, Opera Web Browser, Rexx, Yahoo Widget, Youtube Widget Hardware Available(Starting From =A34.99): Graphics Tablet, Newtek Video Toaster, Roland Wireless Midi Synth, etc Games Available(Starting From =A39.99): Populous, Powermonger, The Sims, etc Softwa...

Pros/Cons for staying with 9.9 or going to 9.10
Currently running 9.9.4-P2, been trying to decide if I want to go to 9.10 or stay within 9.9.x? Since 9.9.x is ESV could stay with this version for along time, plus its more likely if we go with an appliance....if its using bind, its probably more likely to be this version (have only looked at one that is bind based, and it was 9.6-ESV though.) Not sure management realizes these days appliances tend to just be custom PCs, they still need to get software updates over time (or not...just as our DHCP servers are still running the same level of Solaris 9 and version 3.x DHCP wh...

My solaris 9.0 auto shut down after 30min.
My solaris auto shut down power after 30 min., if nobody touch it. What is it reason? Is it because I enable power management during I install 9.0? If it is, how can I disable it. TIA, ST First, shut down the powerd daemon. #/etc/rc2.d/S85power stop Then disable the startup of this script # mv /etc/rc2.d/S85power to /etc/rc2.d/disabled.S85power To be really sure that no patch recreates S85power and enables it, add 'noshutdown' to /etc/power.conf (the Behavior field) Regards, //Daniel wld wrote: > My solaris auto shut down power after 30 min., if nobody touch it. > What i...

solaris 9 AND solaris 10
hi *, Can <subject> be installed together on one sparc ultra 5? rthanks for any help. Yes. On two disks, easily. On one disk it's more involved, but IIRC is do-able, providing you slice things up properly and don't try to do things like share /, /usr etc. Alternatively, investigate LiveUpgrade which makes the whole process a lot easier. -Mark ...

Going... Going... Going...
It seems that a lot of my List-O-Wares has been claimed. Will update ASAP Evif wrote: > > It seems that a lot of my List-O-Wares has been claimed. Will update ASAP Rather than "spamming" this group, why not keep your posts confined to ONE thread, hey ?!?! ...

Amiga Set Top Box Being Developed For Release On 9-9-9
XANADU Technologies is developing an Amiga Set Top Box which will contain a 480gb Hard Drive containing the complete catalogue of Amiga Games and Applications over its rich history. It will be sold in America $999, while the price in England is still to be announced. On 30 Mar, 20:49, GoldenHeart <neo_fortune_1...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote: > XANADU Technologies is developing an > Amiga Set Top Box which will > contain a 480gb Hard Drive containing the complete > catalogue of Amiga > Games and Applications over its rich history. It will be > sold in > Americ...

Amiga Set Top Box Being Developed For Release On 9-9-9
XANADU Technologies is developing an Amiga Set Top Box which will contain a 480gb Hard Drive containing the complete catalogue of Amiga Games and Applications over its rich history. It will be sold in America $999, while the price in England is still to be announced. GoldenHeart wrote: > XANADU Technologies is developing an Amiga Set Top Box which will > contain a 480gb Hard Drive containing the complete catalogue of Amiga > Games and Applications over its rich history. It will be sold in > America $999, while the price in England is still to be announced. Seems like it...

How do I find the hardware paths of the disks on a solaris 9 box?
Hi, Could someone please tell me how to find the hardware paths of the disks on a solaris 9 box? Please let me know if this is not the right forum to ask this question and direct me to the right one. Thanks, Kiran On Sun, 21 Jan 2007, kp wrote: > Could someone please tell me how to find the hardware paths of the > disks on a solaris 9 box? Is the output of "ls -l /dev/dsk" what you're after? > Please let me know if this is not the right forum to ask this question > and direct me to the right one. This is the right place. HTH, -- Rich Teer, SCSA, SCNA, SCSE...

Solaris 9 does not want to boot anymore after moving the box.
Hi, Today we moved a few computers in the server room to us the space more optimal. One Sun UltraSparc2, our NIS server, refused to boot up in normal mode, single user mode works fine, but I don't want that right now... It stops doing anyting after checking and mounting the local filesystems, starting a few services, and setting the gateway... The last things on screen are: Setting netmask of hme0 to 255.255.255.0 (like it should be) Setting default IPv4 interface for multivast: add net 224.0/4: gateway hostname Where hostname is subistituted by my hostname... Any pointers?? Th...

Solaris 9 and Sunscreen 3.2 Stealth Mode
Hi, I've got a Sun V100 running Solaris 9 08/03 which I would like to run Sunscreen 3.2 on. I've updated the system, installed all of the Sunscreen pre-requisite patches etc and the Sunscreen software. I would like to run this in stealth mode, where dmfe0 will be the interface pointing to the outside world, and dmfe1 will point to the inside. Currently, I only have dmfe1 configured with an IP for administrative purposes (as required). For dmfe0, is it sufficient to simply have a blank /etc/hostname.dmfe0? I don't want the firewall to have an IP address. Afterwards I assume its po...

what pizza box sparcs are Solaris 9 or 10 capable?
Can anyone point me to a directory of ancient sun hardware (with pictures)? I'm looking for a sparc that I can readily take on an airplane. It doesn't need to be powerful, but it needs to be able to run Solaris 9 or 10. I'm thinking that the pizza-box sparcs are old enough to be cheap, but I don't know which ones will run Solaris 9 or 10, and which ones won't. I bought a Blade 1000 for 225 Euro and it's great. But it's too big to take with me. The pizza-box workstation can be diskless - I can run Solaris 10 on my pc and boot it from there. I just need to be ab...

Is there going to be a port to Solaris 9 x86 in the near future???
All: Does anyone know if there is going to be a port to Solaris 9 x86 in the near future. What is the decission to develop on this platform since Sun is pushing Solaris x86 harder than ever. -- Christopher Smiga System Engineer (Sun SCSA) N2 Broadband Network Operations Phone: 888-671-1268 (NOC) e-Mail: csmiga@n2bb.com ----- N2 Broadband, Inc. (www.n2bb.com) 4500 River Green Parkway, Suite 110 Duluth, GA. 30096-2564 ---------------------------(end of broadcast)--------------------------- TIP 5: Have you checked our extensive FAQ? http://www.postgr...

Go Vista Go!!! GO GO!!
Vista the number 1 selling OS of ALL TIME!!!!!!!!!!! wooohoooooooooooo Welcome to comp.sys.vista.envy Enjoy your stay! ...