U10/Solaris 9 box going to suspended mode and then shutting down?

When you install Solaris 9 in a Sun ultra 10, is it setup to go to
sleep?  I am here minding my own business while logged into the U10
through its serial port and then get the following messages:

# Mar  7 09:56:41 ficus cpr: System is being suspended
Saving System State. Please Wait..

Now, the interesting part is that I had installed its OS last friday and
had it on for the entire weekend without any problem.  But today, when I
walked in and connected to its serial port as root and tried to see what
was happening, it worked as it should for a bit but then it went to this
suspended mode and turned itself off (power supply fan is not spinning).

How is that setup and how to make it wake up if you are connected to it
either by serial port or ssh?

--
Mauricio                                raub-kudria-com
(if you need to email me, use this address =)

0
Mauricio

Mauricio Tavares <uce@ftc.gov> wrote:
> When you install Solaris 9 in a Sun ultra 10, is it setup to go to
> sleep?  I am here minding my own business while logged into the U10
> through its serial port and then get the following messages:

> # Mar  7 09:56:41 ficus cpr: System is being suspended
> Saving System State. Please Wait..

> Now, the interesting part is that I had installed its OS last friday and
> had it on for the entire weekend without any problem.  But today, when I
> walked in and connected to its serial port as root and tried to see what
> was happening, it worked as it should for a bit but then it went to this
> suspended mode and turned itself off (power supply fan is not spinning).

> How is that setup and how to make it wake up if you are connected to it
> either by serial port or ssh?

A "suspended" system is powered off.  You can't connect via SSH, and a
standard (ttya) serial port is not powered.  If you have LOM or RSC
support, you can power the system back on.  Otherwise, you have to press
the power button yourself.

--
Darren Dunham                                           ddunham@taos.com
Darren
Darren Dunham wrote:
> Mauricio Tavares <uce@ftc.gov> wrote:

[...]
>>How is that setup and how to make it wake up if you are connected to it
>>either by serial port or ssh?
>

> A "suspended" system is powered off.  You can't connect via SSH, and a
> standard (ttya) serial port is not powered.  If you have LOM or RSC
> support, you can power the system back on.  Otherwise, you have to press
> the power button yourself.

	Then, the question becomes why it is going into suspended mode and how
can I tell it not to do it anymore?

--
Mauricio                                raub-kudria-com
(if you need to email me, use this address =)

0
Mauricio
3/7/2005 7:23:43 PM
Mauricio Tavares <uce@ftc.gov> wrote:
> Darren Dunham wrote:
>> Mauricio Tavares <uce@ftc.gov> wrote:
>>
> [...]
>>>How is that setup and how to make it wake up if you are connected to it
>>>either by serial port or ssh?
>>

>> A "suspended" system is powered off.  You can't connect via SSH, and a
>> standard (ttya) serial port is not powered.  If you have LOM or RSC
>> support, you can power the system back on.  Otherwise, you have to press
>> the power button yourself.
>>
> 	Then, the question becomes why it is going into suspended mode and how
> can I tell it not to do it anymore?

/etc/power.conf
/etc/default/power

power.conf and pmconfig have man pages.

At installation time, it should have asked if you wanted it to power off
automatically.  Putting 'noshutdown' in the power.conf line should tell
it not to.

--
Darren Dunham                                           ddunham@taos.com
Darren

Lotro gold:Two Guys and a LOTRO Car
Lotro gold:Two Guys and a LOTRO Car - What happens on Day 9, stays on Day 9 Team LOTRO Car has just completed their Vegas tour, and the boys are probably flat broke now (those Elvis suits can be pricey, especially the good ones). They then proceeded to the Grand Canyon, where it was revealed that Charles Daisy is afraid of heights (oh boy, I'm going to put that knowledge to good use when they get back). http://www.lotrogolds.us/ http://www.lotrogolds.us/index.php http://www.lotrogolds.us/news.php http://www.lotrogolds.us/quest.php http://lotrogolds.us/screenshot.php ...

Metaobj conflicts with Metapost boxes
Hi, If i included metaobj in a mp file, the boxjoin statements will all failed to compile. Does anyone know a reason? Thanks. - woody ...

Canon MP530
I just found out that the MP530 can be used to print on printable cd dvd media. In order to do this I must change the 'destination settings' from US to EUR. IF I do this does anyone know any side effects (fax won't work due to different tones, spelling on panel in something other than english, etc. ) for examples. I just don't want to be continually switching between modes if there are major differences between the two. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated. ...

Bind 9.6-ESV-R5 errors
Hello=0A= =0A= I get several errors whenever I run rndc reload=0A= that look like this:=0A= =0A= named[9178]: 27-Mar-2012 05:56:00.798 general: error: zone 0.IN-ADDR.ARPA/I= N/view_internal_dns: zone serial unchanged. zone may fail to transfer to sl= aves.=0A= named[9178]: 27-Mar-2012 05:56:00.798 general: error: zone 127.IN-ADDR.ARPA= /IN/view_internal_dns: zone serial unchanged. zone may fail to transfer to = slaves.=0A= named[9178]: 27-Mar-2012 05:56:00.798 general: error: zone 254.169.IN-ADDR.= ARPA/IN/view_internal_dns: zone serial unchanged. zone may fail to transfer= to sl...

Lguest (Was re: [9fans] Xen 3.1 w/ Plan 9 domU)
On 7/4/07, ron minnich <rminnich@gmail.com> wrote: > folks, just FYI, for the THX project, I have looked hard and am fixing > on the new lguest hypervisor as the final plan. Please google lguest > and see what you think. It's 5K lines of code, the guest support code > is trivial, and I think overall this is going to be the easiest thing > to do. The work should actually not take too long this time. Xen can > be hard to get your brain around. Looks like a patch on the Linux kernel to run as a hypervisor. Is that how you intend to run it, or are you planning on port...

SparcLE Solaris 10
Greetings all, I have a Tadpole SparcLE which I would like to upgrade to Solaris 10. I have the Solaris 10 11/06 CDROMs, but they won't work as-is (AFAIK) because they lack the appropriate keyboard drivers etc.. I also have a Tadpole install CDROM ISO, but it says it is for Solaris 10 03/05. Can anyone suggest what route I should be taking? Is there anywhere I can download 03/05? Will the 03/05 installation disk work with the 11/06 distribution? Can it be hacked over (trivially) to do so? Your thoughts, gentle readers? Bob Bramwell wrote: > Greetings all, > > I hav...

Re: quoting rules for multi-index summation: ok in maple7, bad in 9.5
In message <3gok8lFdl8alU1@individual.net>, I wrote | Maple's builtin sum() function nicely computes definite sums over a | single index: | A := array(1..3); | sum('A[i]', 'i'=1..3); | | However, I need to sum over multiple indices. For example, suppose I | have | A := array(1..3, 1..3, symmetric); | and I'd like to form a Maple expression which is the sum of | A[i,j]*A[j,i] over all i and j. Using sum() for this is very | clumsy (it requires nested quoting), so for maple7 and earlier I use | the following msum() function: | [[...]] ...

Xrender solaris 10 sparc
Hi I need the XRender extension for Xserver in solaris 10 sparc. I don't find it in xdpyinfo and i don't find it in the OWConfig. Is some one know how to install it ? Thanks, "it" <inesher@yahoo.com> writes in comp.unix.solaris: |I need the XRender extension for Xserver in solaris 10 sparc. Why? |I don't find it in xdpyinfo and i don't find it in the OWConfig. |Is some one know how to install it ? You can't - it's not supported for Xsun on Solaris 10. -- Alan Coopersmith * alanc@alum.calberkeley.org * Alan.Coopersmith@Sun.COM http://blo...

SN#23692 Solaris Studio and Solaris 11 Express
SYSTEM NEWS FOR SUN USERS Vol 154 Issue 1 2010-12-04 Article 23692 from section "Developer's Section" Guaranteed Binary Compatibility with Studio + Solaris Yet more from LISA10, this time a 28:11 video from Vijay Tatkar's blog that covers a discussion Tatkar and Don Kretsch had with OTN's Rick Ramsey on [url "http://blogs.sun.com/tatkar/entry/new_video_on_solaris_studio" "Solaris Studio."] A significant part of the discussion centered on the unique Application Binary Compatibility Guarantee to be fo...

simple batch mode help needed
Hi, I am looking for the simplest way to perform a simple task: load a jpg file and save it (these jpg files are digital camera based ones and this simple operation reduces their size a lot). The problem is that ... I've got a lot of these files. I am using Linux, so I'd like to do it like this: [bash] for i in *.jpg; do gimp -i -b 'magic command' ${i}; done What I need is the 'magic command' (for gimp-1.2.3, if that matters). Could you, please, help me. Thanks in advance, Best regards, Jacek. "Jacek M. Holeczek" <holeczek@us.edu.pl> writes: > I am...

Newbie Question: Pervasive2000i Workstation/Btrieve 7.9
Hello all, I'm very new to both btrieve and pervasive. I'm somewhat unsure if what I'm doing is correct, so any help would be greatly appreciated, I'm finding the documentation somewhat lacking for people never using either product. Links to good tutorials, examples, anything would be very helpful right now. My end result is to pull the information from the Btrieve data into Access XP. I have a directory of .DAT files with three .DDF files (Index, Field, and File). I don't know the significance of any of those beyond assuming the .dat are data files while ...

sar (binary)file format solaris
Hi, Any one know how is sar binary format? I need this for my application... Best Regards, Andrzej Zywiczynski In article <cdm3at$thd$1@news.dialog.net.pl>, "Solaris" <az@a.pl> writes: > Hi, > > Any one know how is sar binary format? I need this for my application... Undocumented. I think the format has changed at least once over the years, and I suspect that one of the reasons it isn't documented is because they (Sun and other commercial Unix vendors) want the freedom to change it without having folks depend on it directly. I don't remember, bu...

Exiting a text box
I am using a text box to get input from a user. I have used the Keypress event to exit the text box when the user presses the "ENTER" key. The problem is, there is that anoying beep when the enter key is pressed. How do I allow the user to exit a text box without the beep? Nick In article <1136414394.386594.281730@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>, "Nick" <nicholas_jp@sympatico.ca> wrote: >I am using a text box to get input from a user. I have used the >Keypress event to exit the text box when the user presses the "ENTER" >key. >The problem i...

which SUNOS log (solaris 8?) has more information?
Hi all, Is there any documents to explain on SUNOS different system logs. I really appreciate if someone can send me the details at gvijayakumar@in.ibm.com Thanks Vijay vijay wrote: > Hi all, > > Is there any documents to explain on SUNOS different system logs. I > really appreciate if someone can send me the details at > gvijayakumar@in.ibm.com Which "SunOS system logs" in particular? I suppose you could mean /var/adm/messages as this is the one the syslogd daemon writes to, but really your question is too open-ended for a precise answer. Other logs ...

U10 USB?
Hello, Is there a way to have USB on a U10? Are there any PCI USB cards that Solaris9 supports? http://sunsolve.sun.com/handbook_pub/Systems/U10/components.html does not list any. -- Alessandro Selli http://alessandro.route-add.net AVVERTENZA: i messaggi inviati a "trappola" non mi arriveranno. WARNING: messages sent to "trappola" will never reach me. Alessandro Selli <trappola@route-add.net> writes: > Is there a way to have USB on a U10? Yes. But better on S10 than S9; the system below uses a "VIA" (somewhat problematic when it comes to USB 2.0...

Barcode Generator for Crystal Reports 9.08
This product is an object that may be easily inserted into Crystal Reports to create barcode images. Once installed, no other components or fonts need to be installed to create barcodes; it is the complete barcode generator that stays in the report, even when it is distributed or accessed from a server. Supported symbologies include Code 39, Code 128, UCC/EAN-128, MSI, Interleaved 2 of 5, PostNet, PDF417 and Data Matrix. The demo version of this product contains a static barcode that may be used for evaluation purposes only. It may be copied into another report and distributed to prove...

Solaris 10 and Solaris Service Manager
I am not able to find nscd under the control of the service manager. I can tell it is controlled by the server manager because when I killed the process it was restarted right away, but how come it is not listed by the svcs command or svccfg? zsh99@yahoo.com (Lisa Koma) writes: >I am not able to find nscd under the control of the service manager. >I can tell it is controlled by the server manager because when I >killed the process it was restarted right away, but how come it is not >listed by the svcs command or svccfg? svc:/system/name-service-cache:default Why do you want t...

Problems installing oracle 9i on Suse Linux Pro 9.1
Hi! I followed the installation instructions from the oracle 9i built in documentation and started the installation with the Result of this output on my Xconsole: Error occurred during initialization of VM Unable to load native library: /tmp/OraInstall2004-06-21_10-45-21PM/jre/lib/i386/libjava.so: symbol __libc_wait, version GLIBC_2.0 not defined in file libc.so.6 with link time reference Has somebody of you a sollution of how i can solve this problem? Tamer ...

RE: nsec++ #9
> > If you want to start at 32 bit boundraries you stop the > > current bitmap if you have a 32 bit subwindow that is all > > zeros. > > =09 > > It takes 4 octets to represent a empty 32 bit subwindow. > > It takes 2 octets to start a new window. > >=20 > > The algorithm would be: > >=20 > Find the first/next active 32 bit window. If the last three > octets of this 32 bit window are zero the bitmap is complete, > remove trailing zero octets. If the next the next 32 bit > window is active include in in the...

BIND 9.4.2-P1 and sockets?
Hello, I'm little confused about the new BIND 9.4.2-P1. I'm working at an ISP, and the servers are caching servers. I'm looking for some informations on the sockets and recursive clients. If I'm not wrong , rndc status prints the number of recursive clients. (queries which we are really recursing for, not answers from the cache.) For example, in my case, I have : recursive clients: 387/19900/20000 Simultaneously, I do "netstat -anp | grep named | grep -v ":53" | wc -l" and the result is : 182. Since BIND opens up a socket wh...

Where Apple's competitors go...
Apple will soon follow: http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/apple-takes-cues-from-blackberry-android-and-wp7-with-ios-5/ Enjoy! -- One computer and three operating systems, not the other way round. One wife and many hotels, not the other way round ! ;-) On Jan 13, 12:26=A0pm, Laszlo Lebrun <lazlo_leb...@laszlomail.com> wrote: > Apple will soon follow: > > http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/apple-takes-cues-from-blackberry-... > > Enjoy! > > -- > One computer and three operating systems, not the other way round. > One wife and many hotel...

Some woes for a Solaris newbie
Hi, folks! As mentioned above, I'm a Solaris newbie having installed a fresh Solaris 8 on a SparcStation 5. I have 10 years of experience with FreeBSD and I do know how to use a command line and I can read manpages too. Don't be shy to give me some hints in this direction. Now I have some questions. I installed onto a fresh disk using my entire second disk for /export/home. Now I want to change that in the way that I want to shrink the slice and add some swap space. how can I manage this? The clock isn't showing the right time. How can I set it to UTC and tell ...

Re: All good things must come to an end... #9
I wholeheartedly agree At 01:06 PM 6/17/2004, John Clogg wrote: >Jeff, >Your reminder about the process you have in place to inhibit spam made me >realize how much extra work you have taken on in your role as list >administrator to protect us from unwanted spam. I just wanted to say >"thank you" for all your efforts through the years. -- Tom Brandt Northtech Systems, Inc. 130 S. 1st Street, Suite 220 Ann Arbor, MI 48104-1343 http://www.northtech.com/ * To join/leave the list, search archives, change list settings, * * etc., please visit http://rave...

Installation of Solaris
Hi all, I m a student from India, I have a P3 with 256 MB RAM and I m installing Solaris 10 iX86 wiht DVD on my 20 Gigs HDD on Secondary drive. I have following Error msgs. ---------------------------------- Configuring disk (c1d0) - creating fdisk partition table - creating Solaris disk table (VTOC) - Processing alternate sector slice Creating X86Boot partition - creating filesystems on fdisk partition c1d0p1 Creating and checking UFS file system - Creating / (c1d0s0) ERROR: File systems creation failed for / (c1d0s0) ERROR: Could not check or create syst...

SNMP, Oracle 9, no data returned
Hi, I have a freshly installed version of Oracle 9 which I can poll with SNMP and have values returned. This works fine and I'm impressed by the data you can get with SNMP. I now want to get this working on an existing installation of Oracle 9, followed the same procedure as above (ie. one that works), but I am getting no data returned. I have little information about the setup of the existing Oracle 9 install (our DBAs know nothing about the Intelligent Agent or SNMP and probably very little about databases in general anyway) and can only assume that there is some permission pro...