Where the heck are the Sun EOL announcments?

I posted something a while back about the EOL for the V880 and was able
to dig up some information.  But since then I have been pulling my hair
out trying to find out where Sun stores its EOL announcments.  I am
subscribed to just about every Sun mailing list option I can see, and I
get gobs of emails from them but I never got any EOL annoncments. (does
anyone?)

I was able to find the announcement EOL for the V880 but the V480 I can
not find; it was another "Oh look, this system has been EOL'd" that I
stumbled on when looking at the Sun Systems page.   I am getting
pressure from the bean counters to provide some "official" word from
sun, apparently it's not enough to point out the sun systems page that
clearly says "Sun Fire V480 (A37)  [12/05]"

Has anyone any luck in finding some sort of archive where Sun keeps
these announcements?

0
tonij67 (90)

Hi Toni,

a good general list is
http://sunsolve.sun.com/handbook_pub/Systems/#EOLSystems
also look at http://www.sun.com/servers/midrange/v880/ states EOL info
- also emails from http://sun.systemnews.com are pretty good (if its
not one of the ones you get already that is!)

Kind Regards
Stuart

0
stuart_abrams_humphr
2/3/2006 1:25:40 PM
Thanks Stuart,

The sunsolve link to the EOL systems I am quite familiar with.  What I
am after is the "official" word from Sun when they made the
announcement, i.e.

http://sun.systemnews.com/articles/90/3/server/14904

That one turned up easilly.  Although the V480 is also listed as EOL I
have not had any luck finding a similar page.

This would be so much easier if my clients would just take my word for
it and not have this silly demand for something "official".

0
tonij67
2/3/2006 6:53:14 PM
In article <1138897335.356390.262610@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
 <tonij67@hotmail.com> wrote:

>out trying to find out where Sun stores its EOL announcments.  I am
>subscribed to just about every Sun mailing list option I can see, and I
>get gobs of emails from them but I never got any EOL annoncments. (does
>anyone?)

>Has anyone any luck in finding some sort of archive where Sun keeps
>these announcements?

Sun communicates this info internally through "intros" that are
accessible for Sun resellers at "https://reseller.sun.com/swin"

If you are a customer, ask your Sun sales rep or your favourite Sun reseller
for these specific intros:

451477  Sun Product Intro - Transition of Sun Fire V480 Server and Associated Options, 09-13-2005

446463  Sun Product Intro - Transition of Sun Fire V880, 07-12-2005

Regards
Fredrik

--
Fredrik Lundholm
dol @ ce.chalmers.se

0
dol
2/3/2006 11:41:17 PM
tonij67@hotmail.com writes:

>This would be so much easier if my clients would just take my word for
>it and not have this silly demand for something "official".

And why is the handbook listing not "official"?

See it as a condensed, indexed version of all the EOL announcements.

Casper
--
Expressed in this posting are my opinions.  They are in no way related
be fiction rather than truth.

0
tonij67
2/7/2006 7:19:06 PM
In article <1139339946.049049.263540@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
 tonij67@hotmail.com wrote:

> That's a darn good question!  It's plenty "offical" enough for me, but
> not for some of my clients.  :(

Well, what specifically do your clients require?  A form letter on
official SUN stationary addressed to whomever notifying them that said
hardware is at EOL status?  Unless they have an existing service
contract with SUN that's about to expire and SUN won't renew it, I kinda
doubt they'll get something like that.  Besides, doesn't SUN still
support EOL'd hardware for a period of time before the boards become
unavailable?  Try getting a logic board for an LX (why would you want to
anyway).  But boards for a Sparc 20 or maybe even a SparcServer 1000
might still be had even if you can't run Solaris 10 on the SS1000.

--
DeeDee, don't press that button!  DeeDee!  NO!  Dee...

0
Michael
2/7/2006 10:00:09 PM
On Tue, 7 Feb 2006, Michael Vilain wrote:

> doubt they'll get something like that.  Besides, doesn't SUN still
> support EOL'd hardware for a period of time before the boards become
> unavailable?  Try getting a logic board for an LX (why would you want to

Yes; that's the differnce between EOL and EOSL (End Of Support Life).
HW is typically supported for 5 years after the EOL and/or last ship
date.

President,
Rite Online Inc.

Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638