Where the heck are the Sun EOL announcments?

I posted something a while back about the EOL for the V880 and was able
to dig up some information.  But since then I have been pulling my hair
out trying to find out where Sun stores its EOL announcments.  I am
subscribed to just about every Sun mailing list option I can see, and I
get gobs of emails from them but I never got any EOL annoncments. (does
anyone?)

I was able to find the announcement EOL for the V880 but the V480 I can
not find; it was another "Oh look, this system has been EOL'd" that I
stumbled on when looking at the Sun Systems page.   I am getting
pressure from the bean counters to provide some "official" word from
sun, apparently it's not enough to point out the sun systems page that
clearly says "Sun Fire V480 (A37)  [12/05]"

Has anyone any luck in finding some sort of archive where Sun keeps
these announcements?

0
tonij67 (90)

Hi Toni,

a good general list is
http://sunsolve.sun.com/handbook_pub/Systems/#EOLSystems
also look at http://www.sun.com/servers/midrange/v880/ states EOL info
- also emails from http://sun.systemnews.com are pretty good (if its
not one of the ones you get already that is!)

Kind Regards
Stuart

0
stuart_abrams_humphr
2/3/2006 1:25:40 PM
Thanks Stuart,

The sunsolve link to the EOL systems I am quite familiar with.  What I
am after is the "official" word from Sun when they made the
announcement, i.e.

http://sun.systemnews.com/articles/90/3/server/14904

That one turned up easilly.  Although the V480 is also listed as EOL I
have not had any luck finding a similar page.

This would be so much easier if my clients would just take my word for
it and not have this silly demand for something "official".

0
tonij67
2/3/2006 6:53:14 PM
In article <1138897335.356390.262610@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
 <tonij67@hotmail.com> wrote:

>out trying to find out where Sun stores its EOL announcments.  I am
>subscribed to just about every Sun mailing list option I can see, and I
>get gobs of emails from them but I never got any EOL annoncments. (does
>anyone?)

>Has anyone any luck in finding some sort of archive where Sun keeps
>these announcements?

Sun communicates this info internally through "intros" that are
accessible for Sun resellers at "https://reseller.sun.com/swin"

If you are a customer, ask your Sun sales rep or your favourite Sun reseller
for these specific intros:

451477  Sun Product Intro - Transition of Sun Fire V480 Server and Associated Options, 09-13-2005

446463  Sun Product Intro - Transition of Sun Fire V880, 07-12-2005

Regards
Fredrik

--
Fredrik Lundholm
dol @ ce.chalmers.se

0
dol
2/3/2006 11:41:17 PM
tonij67@hotmail.com writes:

>This would be so much easier if my clients would just take my word for
>it and not have this silly demand for something "official".

And why is the handbook listing not "official"?

See it as a condensed, indexed version of all the EOL announcements.

Casper
--
Expressed in this posting are my opinions.  They are in no way related
be fiction rather than truth.

0
tonij67
2/7/2006 7:19:06 PM
In article <1139339946.049049.263540@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
 tonij67@hotmail.com wrote:

> That's a darn good question!  It's plenty "offical" enough for me, but
> not for some of my clients.  :(

Well, what specifically do your clients require?  A form letter on
official SUN stationary addressed to whomever notifying them that said
hardware is at EOL status?  Unless they have an existing service
contract with SUN that's about to expire and SUN won't renew it, I kinda
doubt they'll get something like that.  Besides, doesn't SUN still
support EOL'd hardware for a period of time before the boards become
unavailable?  Try getting a logic board for an LX (why would you want to
anyway).  But boards for a Sparc 20 or maybe even a SparcServer 1000
might still be had even if you can't run Solaris 10 on the SS1000.

--
DeeDee, don't press that button!  DeeDee!  NO!  Dee...

0
Michael
2/7/2006 10:00:09 PM
On Tue, 7 Feb 2006, Michael Vilain wrote:

> doubt they'll get something like that.  Besides, doesn't SUN still
> support EOL'd hardware for a period of time before the boards become
> unavailable?  Try getting a logic board for an LX (why would you want to

Yes; that's the differnce between EOL and EOSL (End Of Support Life).
HW is typically supported for 5 years after the EOL and/or last ship
date.

President,
Rite Online Inc.

Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638
0
Rich

[News] [FS] Sun Microsystems Donates Widgetry to Open Source Community
Sun Open Sources Storage Widgetry ,----[ Quote | Sun says it plans to open source other technologies in the coming | months including the StorageTek QFS shared file system, StorageTek | Storage Archive Manager, and StorageTek 5800 client interfaces and | simulator/server. `---- http://dotnet.sys-con.com/read/361247_p.htm It doesn't say which licence, but hopefully it's Free software with no gotchas/strings attached. Related (old and possibly out of date): Sun likes what it sees in the new GPL ,----[ Quote ] | And regarding Java, Schwartz said in an interview: "We did vers...

Re: What the heck is UPPER()? #7
Me thinks (trying to be like Dorfman he he he) it has to with the where statement and upper function and how SQL processes the data. Sig, where are you at when we need a SQL guru? Toby Dunn -----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Pardee, Roy Sent: Thursday, June 24, 2004 3:45 PM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: What the heck is UPPER()? Ah, cool--thanks. I don't find that in the v8 docs. But why would UPPER() work so differently from UPCASE() do you think? I would think that SI would just alias UPCASE rather than re-impl...

DarkForce! Announcement
(newsgroups have been down here - been trying to post this for 3 says!) First of all, Happy New Year everyone! :-) We're trying to kick things off right at The DarkForce! BBS, so in the spirit of the season, we are continuing our tradition of monthly prize giveaways. This month, January 2006, one lucky Atari caller will win a free subscription to ST Magazine. Also, since its almost NFL playoff time, this months featured game is AFL Football! The lucky winner of this game will receive a $25 cash prize. Slots are limited to the number of teams available so don't be left ou...

evomusart 2012: Final CFP and GPEM's special issue announcement
Please distribute (Apologies for multiple posting) ---------------------------------------------------------------------------= - FINAL CALL FOR PAPERS evomusart 2012 1st International Conference and 10th European Event on Evolutionary and Biologically Inspired Music, Sound, Art and Design 11-13 April 2012, Malaga, Spain Part of evo* 2012 evo*: http://www.evostar.org evomusart: http://www.evostar.org/2012/call-for-contributions/evomusart/ ---------------------------------------------------------------------------= - evomusart 2012 is the tenth European event on Ev...

Got a braindead Sun$ crap for Xmas. Time for an Sun$ replacement policy.
flatfish sun$ astroturfer wrote: > T Talk about getting a piece of crap for Xmas. Holy incompatabile Batman! My poor company, somewhat eccentric Sun$, with its uncle Gaylord leader that smokes used underpants always has a knack for buying Xmas presents that are either unidentifiable, or unuseable like all sun$ crap. Sun$ crap fits into the latter category and I think we must now institute a sun$ crap replacement policy with cheaper PCs and Linux (http://www.livecdlist.com ) as a new year resolution. One year the company bought my mother. For Shame these kinds of kerb crawling sun$ used...

Question: Video adapter for Sun server
Hi, all. I've recently bought a "Sun Raptor GFX 8P PGX32 PCI 370-3753 X3668A" video card for an E220R. I intend to hook this card up to my 15-pin XGA PC monitor. I am concerned that I might need an adapter. I know that for Sun video outputs that are 13W3-F, an adapter is obviously needed. But this raptor card is a DB15-pin, and would (physically) take my VGA monitor without problem. I presume I'm safe, but am posting just in case - my monitor cost me $900 last year, and I'd hate to cause it to burst into flames or some such thing just because I wasn't educated. ;...

How to identify sun hardware ?
Say you inherit a sun server, and you have no records of what hardware is installed on it, and you need to download drivers and the such... Is there a way to identify what hardware is installed in a server, from the operating system ? If not, is the sun orderable part # available somewhere on the physical boards ? So far I can use: /usr/platform/`uname -m`/sbin/prtdiag -v and I get a lot, but how for example, what kind of scsi controller is in the server ? Say I have something like: ========================= IO Cards ========================= Bus Freq Brd Type MHz Slot Name ...

ANNOUNCE: Release 2 of the DJGPP port of GNU binutils 2.17 uploaded
This is release 2 of the binaries of the port of GNU binutils 2.17 to MSDOS/DJGPP. Lately it has been noticed by users that the binaries compressed with UPX and distributed in: ftp://ftp.delorie.com/pub/djgpp/current/v2gnu/bnu217b.zip can not be uncompressed. This has no influence on the way the distributed binaries work. All binaries distributed in bnu217b.zip are OK. Neitherless it is disturbing that they can not be uncompressed by UPX. I have used the original binary archive produced by Gordon Schumacher (proven to work) as it is, striped the binaries and packed it ag...

SN#22305 European Commission Launches Investigation into Oracle-Sun Deal
SYSTEM NEWS FOR SUN USERS Vol 139 Issue 1 2009-09-03 Article 22305 from section "News" Competition Effects Within Database Market Called into Question The European Commission will be taking an in-depth look at Oracle's proposed $7.4 billion acquisition of Sun to ensure the database market remains competitive. The Commission, which is the European Union's executive and regulatory branch, set a Jan. 19, 2010 deadline to make the decision on whether to sanction the move or propose some modifications. The focus is on whether O...

Wanted to about the certification about sun solaris and job profile also
Hello This is murthy i wanted to kow about the proce involved in certification of Sun solaris and after completion of certification the status of job profile. with regards narayana murthy ...

sun blade 1000 can't boot
Dear all, My blade 1000 can't boot -- no display and no light in keyboard(even press the num lock key) after the normal beep sound. pls help thanks paul On 17 Jan, 04:19, ball <b.mw...@gmail.com> wrote: > Dear all, > > My blade 1000 can't boot -- no display and no light in keyboard(even > press the num lock key) after the normal beep sound. > > pls help > thanks > paul Oh dear! Here is something trubleshooting advice: 1) unplug monitor, keyboard, mouse, power cord 2) attach a serial cable to port A on one end and to a PC or terminal to the other end ...

*** ANNOUNCE *** PixieRobot/PixieWeb Bundle
Hello, We are bundling together PixieRobot and PixieWeb to make it easier to: - Connect to web-sites, and extract data for loading into PICK - Send emails and attachments with data extracted from PICK - Create Excel spreadsheets with data extracted from PICK - Create HTML pages with data extracted from PICK - Provide a Console to run the scripts that perform the above - Develop many other solutions On the PICK-side, PixieWeb can connect to: TCL/Access, terminal-screen-output for scraping, PX.BACKSRVR, and PICKBasic programs. PixieWeb is a fast, robust and reliable connector ...

Oracle and Sun T2000 Servers
Hi All: I'm looking for information on overall performance of the Sun T2000 series servers as a database server. If anyone is running in that environment (I'm sure there are many) and could provide a little feedback on the overall experience I'd appreciate it. And if you're aware of a site that I can review some info, links would be great too! TIA... Harvey Harvey wrote: > Hi All: > > I'm looking for information on overall performance of the Sun T2000 > series servers as a database server. If anyone is running in that > environment (I'm sur...

SN#14767 New SATA Configurations for Sun StorEdge[TM] 5310 NAS Appliances
SYSTEM NEWS FOR SUN USERS Vol 89 Issue 2 2005-07-11 Article 14767 from section "Storage" Replacing Diskless Stand-alone Sun StorEdge[TM] 5300 RAID EU New SATA configurations for the Sun StorEdge[TM] 5310 and Sun StorEdge[TM] 5310C NAS Appliances have been released from Sun for more cost effective SATA disk drive configurations and greater capacity for scaling. Sun also announced that the existing stand-alone diskless Sun StorEdge[TM] 5300 RAID EU are being replaced. Details at http://sun.systemnews.com/g?A=14767 Have a custo...

FS Sun Ultra AXMP Rackmount
Dear Group, I am selling this three year old (but never used) Sun Ultra AxMP Rackmount Server: Sun UltraAxMP Motherboard see at: http://www.sun.com/microelectronics/SPARCengineUltraAXmp/ 1024MB (1 Gig) SDRAM One CPU Sun UltraSparc II CPU Modules, @ 400MHZ (can take upto 4 CPUS) CDROM player 1 1/4" Floppy Drive SCSI UW and fast dual channels, and dual fast narrow. 3 Atlas 9.1 GB UltraWide Hard Drives 3 Cooling fan unit with front filtration system (removable) DC and AC lugs on power supply Black Rackmount Case Health Monitoring System, including LCD sys...

Attn Matt Petrowsky or How the *heck* did he do that?
I have an old file that runs on FMP 5 that I have used for keeping track of passwords. It is called Passwords.fp5 and I downloaded it from www.filemakerworld.com years ago. Being quick and easy to use I have done just that for years. But just the other day I did a find (for the first time) to locate a certain website and OhMyGosh and this message's title. When you go into the Find mode or hit the Control (or Command) F, it searches multiple fields. I have never seen that before. If I have the word 'disk' in the System field or the Login field or the Password field it wil...

SN#22739 2010 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games (VANOC) Run on Sun
SYSTEM NEWS FOR SUN USERS Vol 143 Issue 3 2010-01-21 Article 22739 from section "News" Games to Rely on Wide Array of Hardware, Software, Consulting Services from Sun Sun Microsystems of Canada will be responsible for managing the IT infrastructure supporting the 2010 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games (VANOC) in Vancouver, Canada. The assignment entails connecting 15 networked venues and three datacenters, running multiple business applications and an integration test lab, and keeping 10,000 media outlets up to date with over 10...

STALKER: How the heck do you drop an item??
Obviously, I am not going to last long in this game or just quit it as I want to do now. I am trying to drop a medkit near someone and it ends up yards away. The manual stinks as so does the walkthroughs and strag guide that I bought. I pressed the F key and the medkit went into inventory. Then I right-clicked on the medkit and selected drop. I even tried moving on top of the injured character and the medkit ended up body lengths away. How the heck am I supposed to get this medkit to him? A most frustrating game so far! PW wrote: > Obviously, I am not going to last long in this game...

[TCPP-announce] [Cfp] Workshop on Practical Aspects of High-level Parallel Programming (PAPP 2004)
[Moderator: note A4 paper below] ======================================================================== Workshop on Practical Aspects of High-level Parallel Programming (PAPP 2004) http://f.loulergue.free.fr/PAPP2004 part of The International Conference on Computational Science http://www.cyfronet.krakow.pl/iccs2004/ June 7-9, 2004, Krak�w, Poland Aims and scope Many applications of computing require performance levels attainable only on parallel architectures. Such systems are now readily available as their price/performance ratio continues to improve. The rapid development of a...

new CPAN modules on Sun Dec 2 2007
The following modules have recently been added to or updated in the Comprehensive Perl Archive Network (CPAN). You can install them using the instructions in the 'perlmodinstall' page included with your Perl distribution. AxKit-App-TABOO-0.52 http://search.cpan.org/~kjetilk/AxKit-App-TABOO-0.52/ Object Oriented Publishing Framework for AxKit ---- Catalyst-Plugin-Form-Processor-0.05 http://search.cpan.org/~hank/Catalyst-Plugin-Form-Processor-0.05/ Use Form::Processor with Catalyst ---- Class-Std-Fast-0.0.5 http://search.cpan.org/~acid/Class-Std-Fast-0.0.5/ faster but less secure tha...

Fall 2010 MATLAB Programming Contest Date Announcement
Calling all MATLAB Programming Contest fans - Sorry for the late notice but we have set the date for the fall event. This season's contest will start at noon Wednesday, November 10th. The contest will finish at noon November 17th. Note that these times are Boston time, so translate to your local time before putting in your calendar. When the contest launches on Nov 10th, we will post an announcement here, on the mailing list and the Contest blog. Stay tuned for more information! See you then! Helen ...

sun webserver, 301 and 302 redirect requirements
Sun Java System Web Server 7.0U8 B01/20/2010 09:38 sun webserver by default redirects as 302 redirects. The webserver in use, has obj.conf with the following to force all redirects to be 301s <Client code="302"> Output fn="set-variable" error="301" noaction="true" </Client> So far so good. However... now we have a requirement for a 302 redirect. I've tried NameTrans fn="redirect" from="/diddstest/" url="http://www.bbc.co.uk" status="302" but that doesn't work ...

Prometric & Pearson VUE Exam Center
Prometric & Pearson VUE Exam Center - Cisco,Microsoft,Sun,HP,IBM,ITIL,Websense Best Prometric and Pearson VUE Test center in Bangalore ( For the certification of=A0Microsoft, Sun, CISCO, Exin - ITIL, IBM,=A0HP, Citrix, etc.) =A0 Hi, =A0 Greetings from Everonn!!!! =A0 Are you looking for the best=A0Prometric and VUE exam center for your certification like Microsoft, Sun, CISCO, IBM, and HP, where you can take test whenever you want...? =A0 Then you are at the right place; =A0 Just come and take test whenever you are free..... =A0 We understand your difficulty while reg...

Sun Ultra10 slow
Hi, I just bought a used Sun Ultra10, Ultra Sparc 11i 333MHz, 512Mb, 2x9 GB disk and installed Solaris 9 on it. What surprises me is that this system is actually slow compared to the system it's supposed to replace (an old IBM Aptiva P2-266 with 64MB running Linux). Anyone also have experience with Utra10's being slow? Sander System Configuration: Sun Microsystems sun4u Sun Ultra 5/10 UPA/PCI (UltraSPARC-IIi 333MHz) System clock frequency: 111 MHz Memory size: 512 Megabytes ========================= CPUs ========================= Run Ecache CPU CPU...

SN#10506 Sun Fire[TM] V60x Server and Sun Fire[TM] V65x Server Repricing
SYSTEM NEWS FOR SUN USERS Vol 65 Issue 4 2003-07-21 Article 10506 from section "Entry Level Servers" Reductions of 10 and 20 Percent Make Additional Processing Power Available Sun has reduced by 10 and 20 percent respectively the prices of the Sun Fire[TM] V60x server and Sun Fire[TM] V65x server 2.8 GHz and 3.06 GHz CPU X-options/XATO options. The reduced prices allow customers to achieve increased system performance by configuring systems with faster or additional CPUs at lower cost. The Sun Fire V60x and V65x serv...