Which daemon is running on port 1109?

Hi,

On solaris 8 I have some daemon running on port 1109.
This seems to be a port used by kpop, only there is no kpop installed
and the port is not in /etc/services, but i can connect with telnet.

How, in general, can i find out wich daemon is listening to a certain port?

TIA

Nico

0
Nico

"Nico van Vliet" <N.vanVliet@utwente.nl> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> On solaris 8 I have some daemon running on port 1109.
> This seems to be a port used by kpop, only there is no kpop installed
> and the port is not in /etc/services, but i can connect with telnet.

/etc/services doesn't tell you much at the best of times :0)

> How, in general, can i find out wich daemon is listening to a certain
port?

If the daemon in registered as an RPC service,
rpcinfo -p | grep 1109 will shed some light.

Some daemons will return some sort of banner when
connected to by a Telnet client, or if you then hit return
or speak some nonsense to them. Some do not.

Presumably this daemon didn't say anything useful
when you connected to it with telnet.

You could look in /etc/rc*.d/ for any 'weird' looking
(i.e. not shipped by Sun) S-scripts and use ps and pfiles
to find out what ports/sockets that any programs started
by them are using.

Are you running any database servers or somesuch?

Failing all that, download and install lsof:
    ftp://vic.cc.purdue.edu/pub/tools/unix/lsof/

....and do 'lsof -i :1109'

--
Noel R. Nihill
UNIX� platform development

0
Noel
11/5/2003 2:28:20 PM
Nico van Vliet wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On solaris 8 I have some daemon running on port 1109.
> This seems to be a port used by kpop, only there is no kpop installed
> and the port is not in /etc/services, but i can connect with telnet.
>
> How, in general, can i find out wich daemon is listening to a certain port?
>
> TIA
>
> Nico
Perhaps lsof could help - I'm no expert on it, but looking at the man
page (I have version 4.65), it would appear it can look for open files
on particular ports with the -i option. But I just tried looking for
something on port 22, where I run an ssh server, and lsof did not
report anything, so I'm not sure what to make of it.

From the lsof man page:

"    To list all files using any protocol on ports 513,  514,  or
     515 of host wonderland.cc.purdue.edu, use:

          lsof -i @wonderland.cc.purdue.edu:513-515

     To list  all  files  using  any  protocol  on  any  port  of
     mace.cc.purdue.edu  (cc.purdue.edu  is  the default domain),
     use:

          lsof -i @mace

"

It might be worth investigating.

the day they start making vacuum cleaners." -Ernst Jan Plugge.

Dr. David Kirkby Ph.D.
Author of 'atlc' http://atlc.sourceforge.net/
0
Dr

This comes a bit late, but lsof gave me the answer I wanted (shoul
become a standard UNIX tool )

Thanks

> Hi,
>
> On solaris 8 I have some daemon running on port 1109.
> This seems to be a port used by kpop, only there is no kpop installed
> and the port is not in /etc/services, but i can connect with telnet.
>
> How, in general, can i find out wich daemon is listening to a certain port?
>
> TIA
>
> Nico

0
Nico
11/7/2003 10:16:01 AM
On Wed, 05 Nov 2003 14:52:42 +0100, Nico van Vliet
<N.vanVliet@utwente.nl> wrote:

>On solaris 8 I have some daemon running on port 1109.
>This seems to be a port used by kpop, only there is no kpop installed
>and the port is not in /etc/services, but i can connect with telnet.
>
>How, in general, can i find out wich daemon is listening to a certain port?

netstat can help.

However, I recommend lsof.  I install lsof standard with all of my
installs now, no matter the OS.  Use this command line for the
quickest answer:

lsof -ni :1109

Once you find the process id (pid) of process listening on that port,
use the following to get more information on the process:

lsof -p <pid>

David Douthitt (david@douthitt.net)
UNIX System Administrator
HP-UX, Unixware, Linux