Which daemon is running on port 1109?

Hi,

On solaris 8 I have some daemon running on port 1109.
This seems to be a port used by kpop, only there is no kpop installed
and the port is not in /etc/services, but i can connect with telnet.

How, in general, can i find out wich daemon is listening to a certain port?

TIA

Nico

0
Nico

"Nico van Vliet" <N.vanVliet@utwente.nl> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> On solaris 8 I have some daemon running on port 1109.
> This seems to be a port used by kpop, only there is no kpop installed
> and the port is not in /etc/services, but i can connect with telnet.

/etc/services doesn't tell you much at the best of times :0)

> How, in general, can i find out wich daemon is listening to a certain
port?

If the daemon in registered as an RPC service,
rpcinfo -p | grep 1109 will shed some light.

Some daemons will return some sort of banner when
connected to by a Telnet client, or if you then hit return
or speak some nonsense to them. Some do not.

Presumably this daemon didn't say anything useful
when you connected to it with telnet.

You could look in /etc/rc*.d/ for any 'weird' looking
(i.e. not shipped by Sun) S-scripts and use ps and pfiles
to find out what ports/sockets that any programs started
by them are using.

Are you running any database servers or somesuch?

Failing all that, download and install lsof:
    ftp://vic.cc.purdue.edu/pub/tools/unix/lsof/

....and do 'lsof -i :1109'

--
Noel R. Nihill
UNIX� platform development

0
Noel
11/5/2003 2:28:20 PM
Nico van Vliet wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On solaris 8 I have some daemon running on port 1109.
> This seems to be a port used by kpop, only there is no kpop installed
> and the port is not in /etc/services, but i can connect with telnet.
>
> How, in general, can i find out wich daemon is listening to a certain port?
>
> TIA
>
> Nico
Perhaps lsof could help - I'm no expert on it, but looking at the man
page (I have version 4.65), it would appear it can look for open files
on particular ports with the -i option. But I just tried looking for
something on port 22, where I run an ssh server, and lsof did not
report anything, so I'm not sure what to make of it.

From the lsof man page:

"    To list all files using any protocol on ports 513,  514,  or
     515 of host wonderland.cc.purdue.edu, use:

          lsof -i @wonderland.cc.purdue.edu:513-515

     To list  all  files  using  any  protocol  on  any  port  of
     mace.cc.purdue.edu  (cc.purdue.edu  is  the default domain),
     use:

          lsof -i @mace

"

It might be worth investigating.

the day they start making vacuum cleaners." -Ernst Jan Plugge.

Dr. David Kirkby Ph.D.
Author of 'atlc' http://atlc.sourceforge.net/
0
Dr

This comes a bit late, but lsof gave me the answer I wanted (shoul
become a standard UNIX tool )

Thanks

> Hi,
>
> On solaris 8 I have some daemon running on port 1109.
> This seems to be a port used by kpop, only there is no kpop installed
> and the port is not in /etc/services, but i can connect with telnet.
>
> How, in general, can i find out wich daemon is listening to a certain port?
>
> TIA
>
> Nico

0
Nico
11/7/2003 10:16:01 AM
On Wed, 05 Nov 2003 14:52:42 +0100, Nico van Vliet
<N.vanVliet@utwente.nl> wrote:

>On solaris 8 I have some daemon running on port 1109.
>This seems to be a port used by kpop, only there is no kpop installed
>and the port is not in /etc/services, but i can connect with telnet.
>
>How, in general, can i find out wich daemon is listening to a certain port?

netstat can help.

However, I recommend lsof.  I install lsof standard with all of my
installs now, no matter the OS.  Use this command line for the
quickest answer:

lsof -ni :1109

Once you find the process id (pid) of process listening on that port,
use the following to get more information on the process:

lsof -p <pid>

David Douthitt (david@douthitt.net)
UNIX System Administrator
HP-UX, Unixware, Linux
Linux+, LPIC-1
0
David

Which linux am I running?
This seems like a question I should already know the answer to, but I don't, nor could I find it in any of the obvious places: How can I find out which distribution and version of Linux a machine is running? 'uname -a' gives the kernel version, but it doesn't say something like "Red Hat 9" or "Fedora Core 2". /proc/version *seems* to contain that information, but on all the machines I checked it was incorrect. Thanks. On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 21:00:38 -0400, Nicholas R. Markham wrote: > How can I find out which distribution and version of Linux a machi...

keep you network alive daemon
/usr/bin/checkOnlineDaemon #!/bin/bash if [ ! -d /var/log/checkOnline ]; then $(mkdir /var/log/checkOnline) fi log_file="/var/log/checkOnline/"$(date +%Y_%m_%j_%k_%M_%S) $(touch $log_file) while true; do a=$(ifconfig eth0 | grep inet) if [ "$a" = "" ]; then $(echo "eth0 stopped at "$(date +%Y/%m/%j_%k:%M:%S) >> $log_file) now=$(date) $(ifup eth0) fi done /etc/rc.d/init.d/checkOnline #!/bin/bash start(){ echo "start" checkOnlineDaemon &am...

Matlab compiler runs extremely slow
This is a general question for users that have created Window standalone executeables. Does anyone else experience SIGNIFICANT slowdown when running their tool on the MCR? Like to the point of it's not even worth using the compiled code? I don't understand the bottlenecks as MCR is supposed to be a MATLAB environment so the program should open, run, and close as fast it does when run in MATLAB. Or am I in the wrong here? "Daniel " <d_adidas_2k@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:ibjnus$jia$1@fred.mathworks.com... > This is a general question for users that hav...

Error:The specified network address is currently in use when exe file is run
I get this error(above) when i run my executable files.My exe file is in directly in c:\codes\application.exe. After this, i also like to know how do i enter the URL in a web browser to access this exe file. I have created and change the labview.ini file to application.ini and put it in the same directory as my exe file already. Kindly provide me with a detailed solution to solve this problem. Thanks I am not sure what you are doing but I think this is the information you are looking for: <a href="http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/3efedde4322fef19862567740067f3cc/4d966061ee84df538625...

daemon helper
Start any program or script as a daemon. ftp://ftp.isp2dial.com/users/jak/src/dh/ > My principal motivation for developing the daemon helper was to have > a tool which eliminates the need for coding daemon logic in programs > or scripts. In the tradition of other UNIX command line tools which > have short names, dh is its name. See README for more info. -- Webmail for Dialup Users http://www.isp2dial.com/freeaccounts.html ...

to daemon or not
Hi, I've inherited some programs which work fine, however rather than having to login and run a shell script to kick all the various processes off (none of which require interaction, they're network based programs which use ipc to communicate amongst themselves) I'd rather just write a suitable init.d script/s and kick them off at approriate run levels. Only problem is to my knowledge the prgrams aren't writen as daemons should be (with all the changing of uids, std file descriptors, chroot/ working directory, signal handlers). So would there ( with the possible exce...

Problem with parallel port in Simulink
Hi, I've got a big problem about my model in SIMULINK. I'm realizing a system that takes a video from a CCD camera, it analyzes all frames once by once and it gives in output a specific number calculated from each frame. This number (8 bit) has to go to a Digital/Analogical Converter (that I realize with DAC0830LCN) through the parallel port. I don't be able to do the connection between the simulink model and DAC, I try to use 'digital output' directly in the model, but there is no output from the parallel port's pin. This problem in MATLAB is solved with functio...

Code running on LINUX?
Hey, I have developed the following code and it is executing well on windows. But I don't have LINUX installed on my system. I would be grateful to you guys if you check whether this code is working fine on linux. I know that C++ is independent of OS, but still check it on g++ compiler. Thanks a lot in advance. Anchit CODE: #include<iostream> #include<string> using namespace std; int m=0, min, k[10], c; class parkedcar //class holds data of the car in parking { string make; int model; string color; string licnumber; int minutesparked; public: parkedcar() { make...

Running an External Application and waiting until it's done
Hello, I have an Access application and I would like to not only run an external application, but at the point in the code where it is run, I'd like to wait for the external applicaiton to finish, then run the rest of the code. Is there any way to do this? Thankis! Rick Hi Rick, Maybe this link is what you are looking for. http://www.mvps.org/access/api/api0004.htm Rico wrote: >Hello, > >I have an Access application and I would like to not only run an external >application, but at the point in the code where it is run, I'd like to wait >for the external applic...

Running script in module initialization
Hello, I'm trying to convert my project from python 2.5 to python 3.0 and I have the following problem. My project is PYD library written in C++. So I have this PyInit_ModuleName function containing PyModule_Create call and this function also call some script with declarations: PyObject* m; m = PyModule_Create(&PyVRDAModule); if (m == NULL) { return NULL; } PyObject *d, *v; d = PyModule_GetDict(m); v = PyRun_StringFlags(txtPyPredefinedConstants), Py_file_input, d, d, NULL); ...... txtPyPredefinedConstants is string with this content: class CursorMov...

ssh.com v3.2.9.1 slow performance with ftp over ssh port forwarding?
Hi, i am using a ssh port forwarded tunnel to secure a ftp connection between 2 linux boxes. both run the same ssh version, mentioned in subject. what i do is: ssh -l username remotehost -L ftp/10001:localhost:21 ftp/ should ensure that the data channel is encrypted via the tunnel as well, not only the control channel. anyways, i got a 3 mbit dsl line here, and am not able to get more than 210KByte/sec over the forwarded ftp connection. i treid the same setup to other machines as well, same results. i tried changing the ciphers, performance stays the same. i mean i would expect some overh...

What laptop spec to run Linux?
Hi Guys, I have never used Linux before. In fact, I have only ever used a PC with either Windows or Mac OS, so before I dive in with both feet on my half decent computer I was thinking of buying a cheapo laptop to run a Ubuntu disk on. The thing is, what would the spec need to be to give Ubuntu a fighting chance. CPU speed, RAM, etc. Thanks guys. Steve "Steve" <Steve.ebay@gmail.com> writes: >I have never used Linux before. In fact, I have only ever used a PC >with either Windows or Mac OS, so before I dive in with both feet on >my half decent computer I was think...

Porting from Linux to VxWorks
Hi all, We have an application that runs on WinCE and embedded Linux. Now we want to port our application to VxWorks. What filesystems does VxWorks support? Is there a VxWorks FAQ anywhere? "David Laird" <kilgore_was_here@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:BmSnc.7295$UQ.368858@attbi_s51... > Hi all, > > We have an application that runs on WinCE and embedded Linux. Now we > want to port our application to VxWorks. What filesystems does VxWorks > support? Is there a VxWorks FAQ anywhere? > DOS. http://www.xs4all.nl/~borkhuis/vxworks/vxworks.html ...

plan9 port compiling for anyone on 5.0?
I had trouble. Mr G <gavcomedy@gmail.com> writes: > I had trouble. What was the error message? -- http://www.wistly.net In article <10425492.2017.1321152231525.JavaMail.geo-discussion-forums@prew38>, Mr G <comp.unix.bsd.openbsd.misc@googlegroups.com> wrote: >I had trouble. I've been working on a formal port of p9p at https://github.com/jasperla/openbsd-wip With the exception of 9term, it should work on amd64, i386 and powerpc. Pascal Stumpf <Pascal.Stumpf@cubes.de> writes: > In article <10425492.2017.1321152231525.JavaMail....

running Matlab under vista
I am a licensed end user of Matlab in a UK university. I have a perpetual license for Matlab 7.2 R2006a, although our maintenance contract ran out in 2006. However, I have recently updated the machine I would use Matlab on, to one which runs the Vista operating system. I want to reinstall Matlab on this machine preferably without paying any more money. I have been having a really hard time doing so. The original 32-bit installation disk would not work and gave me an error message about the operating system. I then installed a 64-bit version but it just froze after starting. Anyone got any adv...

Android malware running wild!
I meant to say, Android malware FUD is running wild As the popularity of Android devices whizzes past iOS and MS mobile devices, there is desperate FUDing going on from competing devices makers and from those who produce anti malware/virus software for mobile devices. I guess, they figure a little fear mongering is a good business modal. This has been going on for more than two years. Every so often, paid media trolls (so called tech reporters) unleash a barrage of negativity against Android devices, malware infection being one of them. But, it must be falling on deaf ears because ...

how to know if an aplication is already running?
Hi list, is there any way to find out from a wx-application whether a non-wx application is already running? I need this in order to not start another instance of the non-wx application if one is already running. To be more specific, I launch the help of my wx-application like this: def OnHelpTopics(self, evt): helpFilePath = findHelpFile("MyApp.chm") if helpFilePath <> None: os.startfile(helpFilePath) and would like to know if MyApp.chm isn't already displayed. Thank you, Cristina. ------------------------...

ssh daemon on only one nic card
I'm getting ready to setup a new restricted access ssh host and a question came to me. How would you configure the ssh daemon to only run on one interface? Ernie I suggest first looking at the manual page for sshd by doing a man sshd_config There is an option for specifying ListenAddress. This is the IP address that the daemon will listen on. If that IP address is assigned to only one interface, I believe you can achieve your desired goal. --Cody > > There is an option for specifying ListenAddress. This is the IP > address that the daemon will listen on. If that IP a...

serial IO port from User space with functions such as inb and outb?
Hi, I'd like to know is it able to access to the serial IO port from User space with functions such as inb and outb? if it is not work,, can I export these ports to userspace so that I can accces it from userspace? Thanks. "google-rambo88" <rambo88@gmail.com> writes: > I'd like to know is it able to access to the serial IO port from User > space with functions such as inb and outb? Yes it is possible, see outb(2), iopl(2) and ioperm(2). Apart from that, the kernel offers an interface for access to 'asynchronous communications po...

Porting from OpenBSD/Linux to Solaris : daemon(3)
Hi, A given Milter program compiles ok on OpenBSD/FreeBSD/Linux but not on Solaris : it uses daemon(3) http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/man.cgi?query=daemon&apropos=0&sektion =0&manpath=OpenBSD+Current&arch=i386&format=html http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=daemon&sektion=3&apropos=0 &manpath=FreeBSD+5.1-RELEASE What would be the Solaris alternative or POSIX solution to the BSD daemon(3) ? SL/ PS : Solaris does not have __progname nor vasprintf ... what a pity ! --- Stephane Lentz Alcanet International, Internet Services Steph L <Stephane.L...

Newbie Frontier::Daemon problem
Hello, Maybe this isn't the right place to ask this question, 'couse maybe it has nothing to do with Frontier::RPC, but anyhow I will ask. Question is about this example http://xmlrpc-c.sourceforge.net/xmlrpc-howto/xmlrpc-howto-perl-server.html I started it on one computer in my LAN, and tried client from the other one. There is no firewalls. All the time I'm getting HTTP Error 403 -Forbidden on the client. I can't figure out why?? Maybe this is newbie thing. :) Anyhow, do I need web server on the computer where I'm running this XMLRPC server?? (It is running on my...

Problem with MS apps treeviews & listviews running in WINE
I'm getting no visable text on treeviews and listviews, do see the icons, lines and boxes. The app knows that text is there because one of the apps can print the contents of the treeview, it's just not visable. This is true on a Suse 9.0 and MDK 9.2 system. This is also true on all apps that I've tried. I am using the WINE that comes with each distro. What am I missing? TIA ollie Are you using the WineHQ binaries? Ivan Leo Murray-Smith wrote: > Are you using the WineHQ binaries? No, I was using the app provided on the distro CD's. I resolved the problem ...

Problem to run MATLAB 7.0(R14)
I am running the MATLAB 7.0(R14) on: Acer INc. AcerSystem: Intel(R)Pentium(R)M, 2.00GHz, 1.99GHz, 1.00GB RAM Windows XP 2002 Initially MATLAB 7 was working well. But now, I tried to start MATLAB7 and it exit silently after displaying the splash screen. I have already verified that it is not due to an OpenGL incompatibility since I have tried to start MATLAB in -nojvm mode and the following warning message was displayed: "Microsoft Visual C++Runtime Library Runtime Error! Program:C:/MATLAB\bin\win32\MATLAB.exe This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. ...

Need help...task ascheuler not running any tasks
Hi: I create a simple task scheduler test by creating a task for Calculator. Give everyone access to this and have the Administrator as the owner. The task should launch at 3:00 pm (not 2:55 pm)....logoff as Admin adn logon as me (regular power user)...advance the clock to 2:59 pm ...3 pm comes and goes nothing...... Applied SP3 and try again after reboot....nothing HOWEVER: am able to create task as Admin when logged in as Administrator and it will work provided I don't logoff..once i logoff and login as someone else..it don't work......can see the task sceduler...

run a Matlab process in the background
Is it possible to run a Matlab process in the background in Windows? I'd like to have a graphical way to keep track of Matlab's cpu time each minute. I've written this m-file, but it takes over the entire Matlab session? ______________________ fig = figure('Units','normalized','Position',[.1 .8 .1 ..1],'MenuBar','none'); ind = uicontrol(fig,'Style','edit','Units','normalized','Position',[.1 ..1 .8 .8]); prevtimecheck = cputime; % Check the time while 1 % Run continuously pause(2) % Wait 2 s...