Which daemon is running on port 1109?

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Hi,

On solaris 8 I have some daemon running on port 1109.
This seems to be a port used by kpop, only there is no kpop installed
and the port is not in /etc/services, but i can connect with telnet.

How, in general, can i find out wich daemon is listening to a certain port?

TIA

Nico

0
Reply Nico 11/5/2003 1:52:42 PM

See related articles to this posting

"Nico van Vliet" <N.vanVliet@utwente.nl> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> On solaris 8 I have some daemon running on port 1109.
> This seems to be a port used by kpop, only there is no kpop installed
> and the port is not in /etc/services, but i can connect with telnet.

/etc/services doesn't tell you much at the best of times :0)

> How, in general, can i find out wich daemon is listening to a certain
port?

If the daemon in registered as an RPC service,
rpcinfo -p | grep 1109 will shed some light.

Some daemons will return some sort of banner when
connected to by a Telnet client, or if you then hit return
or speak some nonsense to them. Some do not.

Presumably this daemon didn't say anything useful
when you connected to it with telnet.

You could look in /etc/rc*.d/ for any 'weird' looking
(i.e. not shipped by Sun) S-scripts and use ps and pfiles
to find out what ports/sockets that any programs started
by them are using.

Are you running any database servers or somesuch?

Failing all that, download and install lsof:
    ftp://vic.cc.purdue.edu/pub/tools/unix/lsof/

....and do 'lsof -i :1109'

--
Noel R. Nihill
UNIX� platform development

0
Reply Noel 11/5/2003 2:28:20 PM

Nico van Vliet wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On solaris 8 I have some daemon running on port 1109.
> This seems to be a port used by kpop, only there is no kpop installed
> and the port is not in /etc/services, but i can connect with telnet.
>
> How, in general, can i find out wich daemon is listening to a certain port?
>
> TIA
>
> Nico
Perhaps lsof could help - I'm no expert on it, but looking at the man
page (I have version 4.65), it would appear it can look for open files
on particular ports with the -i option. But I just tried looking for
something on port 22, where I run an ssh server, and lsof did not
report anything, so I'm not sure what to make of it.

From the lsof man page:

"    To list all files using any protocol on ports 513,  514,  or
     515 of host wonderland.cc.purdue.edu, use:

          lsof -i @wonderland.cc.purdue.edu:513-515

     To list  all  files  using  any  protocol  on  any  port  of
     mace.cc.purdue.edu  (cc.purdue.edu  is  the default domain),
     use:

          lsof -i @mace

"

It might be worth investigating.

the day they start making vacuum cleaners." -Ernst Jan Plugge.

Dr. David Kirkby Ph.D.
Author of 'atlc' http://atlc.sourceforge.net/
0
Reply Dr 11/5/2003 3:35:55 PM

Hi,

This comes a bit late, but lsof gave me the answer I wanted (shoul
become a standard UNIX tool )

Thanks

> Hi,
>
> On solaris 8 I have some daemon running on port 1109.
> This seems to be a port used by kpop, only there is no kpop installed
> and the port is not in /etc/services, but i can connect with telnet.
>
> How, in general, can i find out wich daemon is listening to a certain port?
>
> TIA
>
> Nico

0
Reply Nico 11/7/2003 10:16:01 AM

On Wed, 05 Nov 2003 14:52:42 +0100, Nico van Vliet
<N.vanVliet@utwente.nl> wrote:

>On solaris 8 I have some daemon running on port 1109.
>This seems to be a port used by kpop, only there is no kpop installed
>and the port is not in /etc/services, but i can connect with telnet.
>
>How, in general, can i find out wich daemon is listening to a certain port?

netstat can help.

However, I recommend lsof.  I install lsof standard with all of my
installs now, no matter the OS.  Use this command line for the
quickest answer:

lsof -ni :1109

Once you find the process id (pid) of process listening on that port,
use the following to get more information on the process:

lsof -p <pid>

David Douthitt (david@douthitt.net)
UNIX System Administrator
HP-UX, Unixware, Linux
Linux+, LPIC-1
0
Reply David 11/7/2003 2:56:01 PM
comp.unix.solaris 25702 articles. 86 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Daemon proc run on a port, kill daemon and cannot restart on same port for 10 minutes.
Unix is AIX 4.3 The daemon is a license manager which runs for an application. Killing the daemon is fine. (using the 'kill -9 <pid>') restarting it returns a message of the kind below... Unable to create socket at port 5634 (76 / 10061) I've heard that there's a 10 minute wait whilst the OS frees the port and believe this to be the case as I've timed a 10 minute thumb-twiddle session! :) Can we change this somehow? You might need to put this in laymans terms aswell because I'm a bit of a simpleton on this I'm afraid. Much obliged! Chiz. On 10 Sep 2003...

AS5300s running telnet daemon listening on high unumbered ports
We recently underwent a security scan of our network. One of the more common hits was on TCP ports in the 2000 or 6000 range on our AS5300s.. All of them had telnet daemons listening on them and each of them handed out the login banner upon connection. I've seen this before when trying to set up a dialout server where you could essentially do a reverse telnet to a specific modem. I don't recall how to fix it though. These 5300s are on the public Internet in the heart of our service provider so we don't want them listening on these ports. Telnet is already shut down on the VTY...

apache 1.3.22 won't run on port 80 (running as root)
Hello- This is probably a simple problem but I'm pretty new to Apache. I'm running Apache 1.3.22 on Solaris 2.8. I cannot get Apache to run on port 80, even though its being run as root. In error_log I see: [notice] child pid ***** exit signal Segmentation Fault (11) over and over and over, as Apache keeps trying to spawn children but they keep dying. I don't see anything using port 80 via netstat, and I don't get any error messages about the permission being denied on port 80. If I change the port to something higher like 8080, it runs fine. Is there some...

Finding a free port for a server at run time, in which the client, launches the server and specifies the port to service
I am writing a proxying application that will use stunnel to provide SSL encryption of my stream. I want to create the app so that the user has minimal configuration, and it turns out that to support connections to multiple hosts, all of which may be added at any time, the easiest thing to do is just create a new instance of stunnel for each connection, and to tell that stunnel connection which port to bind to. (Once opened the connections are rather long lived, and there are probably only 1-8 such connections.) So my app would find a free port, and tell stunnel to open that port...

Dubai Ports chose Xg for Oracle 10g to run six American ports and Danial Morgan Ass
Dear DBA, You are cordially invited to test and review our windows native and 100% pure Java Oracle 10g Monitoring & Security Application (Xg). Xg is the Ultimate Visual Real Time Oracle Monitoring Tool. As the leading expert in your field, your objective opinion is highly valued and your feedback is very appreciated. We would like to encourage you to distribute free copies of Xg to your associates and fellow DBA's. Xg can be downloaded from: http://www.oracleXg.com/ or any of many mirrors worldwide: iboogie.com/search.asp?name_search_type=1&name_lang=50&name_query=Xg...

apache 1.3.22 won't run on port 80 (running as root) #2
Hello- This is probably a simple problem but I'm pretty new to Apache. I'm running Apache 1.3.22 on Solaris 2.8. I cannot get Apache to run on port 80, even though its being run as root. In error_log I see: [notice] child pid ***** exit signal Segmentation Fault (11) over and over and over, as Apache keeps trying to spawn children but they keep dying. I don't see anything using port 80 via netstat, and I don't get any error messages about the permission being denied on port 80. If I change the port to something higher like 8080, it runs fine. Is there some...

Running the kernel as a daemon?
I'm back to trying to figure out how I can interface with Mathematica from an external program. This may be covered in subsequent sections of the Mathematica Book, but I want to get this message out before Today's messages are posted. I'm currently reading /2.13.8 Special Topic: Communication with Mathematica Front Ends/. Can I start a program - say a QApplication - which has its own "event loop", not use MLMain, establish a connection to a running Mathematica kernel, and communicate with the kernel asynchronously. What I mean is that I want to be able to run...

What runs on port 2500

daemonizing after binding to port
Hello everyone, I'm starting a SocketServer.TCPServer in my program, but since I want to report problems to script starting the program, I want to go daemon *after* TCPServer has done binding to port. Is this likely to cause problems? I mean, my client works when I do the above, that is, it connects to the server. But I'm not sure if above is the Right Thing(tm). First: self.server = SocketServer.TCPServer((host, port), handleclass, bind_and_activate=False) self.server.socket.setsockopt(socket.SOL_SOCKET, socket.SO_REUSEADDR, 1) self.server.server_bind() self.s...