Which daemon is running on port 1109?

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Hi,

On solaris 8 I have some daemon running on port 1109.
This seems to be a port used by kpop, only there is no kpop installed
and the port is not in /etc/services, but i can connect with telnet.

How, in general, can i find out wich daemon is listening to a certain port?

TIA

Nico

0
Reply Nico 11/5/2003 1:52:42 PM

See related articles to this posting

"Nico van Vliet" <N.vanVliet@utwente.nl> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> On solaris 8 I have some daemon running on port 1109.
> This seems to be a port used by kpop, only there is no kpop installed
> and the port is not in /etc/services, but i can connect with telnet.

/etc/services doesn't tell you much at the best of times :0)

> How, in general, can i find out wich daemon is listening to a certain
port?

If the daemon in registered as an RPC service,
rpcinfo -p | grep 1109 will shed some light.

Some daemons will return some sort of banner when
connected to by a Telnet client, or if you then hit return
or speak some nonsense to them. Some do not.

Presumably this daemon didn't say anything useful
when you connected to it with telnet.

You could look in /etc/rc*.d/ for any 'weird' looking
(i.e. not shipped by Sun) S-scripts and use ps and pfiles
to find out what ports/sockets that any programs started
by them are using.

Are you running any database servers or somesuch?

Failing all that, download and install lsof:
    ftp://vic.cc.purdue.edu/pub/tools/unix/lsof/

....and do 'lsof -i :1109'

--
Noel R. Nihill
UNIX� platform development

0
Reply Noel 11/5/2003 2:28:20 PM

Nico van Vliet wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On solaris 8 I have some daemon running on port 1109.
> This seems to be a port used by kpop, only there is no kpop installed
> and the port is not in /etc/services, but i can connect with telnet.
>
> How, in general, can i find out wich daemon is listening to a certain port?
>
> TIA
>
> Nico
Perhaps lsof could help - I'm no expert on it, but looking at the man
page (I have version 4.65), it would appear it can look for open files
on particular ports with the -i option. But I just tried looking for
something on port 22, where I run an ssh server, and lsof did not
report anything, so I'm not sure what to make of it.

From the lsof man page:

"    To list all files using any protocol on ports 513,  514,  or
     515 of host wonderland.cc.purdue.edu, use:

          lsof -i @wonderland.cc.purdue.edu:513-515

     To list  all  files  using  any  protocol  on  any  port  of
     mace.cc.purdue.edu  (cc.purdue.edu  is  the default domain),
     use:

          lsof -i @mace

"

It might be worth investigating.

the day they start making vacuum cleaners." -Ernst Jan Plugge.

Dr. David Kirkby Ph.D.
Author of 'atlc' http://atlc.sourceforge.net/
0
Reply Dr 11/5/2003 3:35:55 PM

Hi,

This comes a bit late, but lsof gave me the answer I wanted (shoul
become a standard UNIX tool )

Thanks

> Hi,
>
> On solaris 8 I have some daemon running on port 1109.
> This seems to be a port used by kpop, only there is no kpop installed
> and the port is not in /etc/services, but i can connect with telnet.
>
> How, in general, can i find out wich daemon is listening to a certain port?
>
> TIA
>
> Nico

0
Reply Nico 11/7/2003 10:16:01 AM

On Wed, 05 Nov 2003 14:52:42 +0100, Nico van Vliet
<N.vanVliet@utwente.nl> wrote:

>On solaris 8 I have some daemon running on port 1109.
>This seems to be a port used by kpop, only there is no kpop installed
>and the port is not in /etc/services, but i can connect with telnet.
>
>How, in general, can i find out wich daemon is listening to a certain port?

netstat can help.

However, I recommend lsof.  I install lsof standard with all of my
installs now, no matter the OS.  Use this command line for the
quickest answer:

lsof -ni :1109

Once you find the process id (pid) of process listening on that port,
use the following to get more information on the process:

lsof -p <pid>

David Douthitt (david@douthitt.net)
UNIX System Administrator
HP-UX, Unixware, Linux
Linux+, LPIC-1
0
Reply David 11/7/2003 2:56:01 PM
comp.unix.solaris 25706 articles. 86 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Daemon proc run on a port, kill daemon and cannot restart on same port for 10 minutes.
Unix is AIX 4.3 The daemon is a license manager which runs for an application. Killing the daemon is fine. (using the 'kill -9 <pid>') restarting it returns a message of the kind below... Unable to create socket at port 5634 (76 / 10061) I've heard that there's a 10 minute wait whilst the OS frees the port and believe this to be the case as I've timed a 10 minute thumb-twiddle session! :) Can we change this somehow? You might need to put this in laymans terms aswell because I'm a bit of a simpleton on this I'm afraid. Much obliged! Chiz. On 10 Sep 2003...

AS5300s running telnet daemon listening on high unumbered ports
We recently underwent a security scan of our network. One of the more common hits was on TCP ports in the 2000 or 6000 range on our AS5300s.. All of them had telnet daemons listening on them and each of them handed out the login banner upon connection. I've seen this before when trying to set up a dialout server where you could essentially do a reverse telnet to a specific modem. I don't recall how to fix it though. These 5300s are on the public Internet in the heart of our service provider so we don't want them listening on these ports. Telnet is already shut down on the VTY...

apache 1.3.22 won't run on port 80 (running as root)
Hello- This is probably a simple problem but I'm pretty new to Apache. I'm running Apache 1.3.22 on Solaris 2.8. I cannot get Apache to run on port 80, even though its being run as root. In error_log I see: [notice] child pid ***** exit signal Segmentation Fault (11) over and over and over, as Apache keeps trying to spawn children but they keep dying. I don't see anything using port 80 via netstat, and I don't get any error messages about the permission being denied on port 80. If I change the port to something higher like 8080, it runs fine. Is there some...

Finding a free port for a server at run time, in which the client, launches the server and specifies the port to service
I am writing a proxying application that will use stunnel to provide SSL encryption of my stream. I want to create the app so that the user has minimal configuration, and it turns out that to support connections to multiple hosts, all of which may be added at any time, the easiest thing to do is just create a new instance of stunnel for each connection, and to tell that stunnel connection which port to bind to. (Once opened the connections are rather long lived, and there are probably only 1-8 such connections.) So my app would find a free port, and tell stunnel to open that port...

Dubai Ports chose Xg for Oracle 10g to run six American ports and Danial Morgan Ass
Dear DBA, You are cordially invited to test and review our windows native and 100% pure Java Oracle 10g Monitoring & Security Application (Xg). Xg is the Ultimate Visual Real Time Oracle Monitoring Tool. As the leading expert in your field, your objective opinion is highly valued and your feedback is very appreciated. We would like to encourage you to distribute free copies of Xg to your associates and fellow DBA's. Xg can be downloaded from: http://www.oracleXg.com/ or any of many mirrors worldwide: iboogie.com/search.asp?name_search_type=1&name_lang=50&name_query=Xg...

apache 1.3.22 won't run on port 80 (running as root) #2
Hello- This is probably a simple problem but I'm pretty new to Apache. I'm running Apache 1.3.22 on Solaris 2.8. I cannot get Apache to run on port 80, even though its being run as root. In error_log I see: [notice] child pid ***** exit signal Segmentation Fault (11) over and over and over, as Apache keeps trying to spawn children but they keep dying. I don't see anything using port 80 via netstat, and I don't get any error messages about the permission being denied on port 80. If I change the port to something higher like 8080, it runs fine. Is there some...

Running the kernel as a daemon?
I'm back to trying to figure out how I can interface with Mathematica from an external program. This may be covered in subsequent sections of the Mathematica Book, but I want to get this message out before Today's messages are posted. I'm currently reading /2.13.8 Special Topic: Communication with Mathematica Front Ends/. Can I start a program - say a QApplication - which has its own "event loop", not use MLMain, establish a connection to a running Mathematica kernel, and communicate with the kernel asynchronously. What I mean is that I want to be able to run...

daemon running status
Hi, I was developing a daemon program. I need to run one copy of the daemon at a time and using command line interface like: $prog start so if it is not already running then it will continue otherwise exit. Using the program name how can know if it is running? Is there any system call to know its running status? The program will be run in Linux system. Thanks in advance AR John7481 wrote: > Hi, > I was developing a daemon program. I need to run one copy of the > daemon at a time and using command line interface like: > > $prog start > > so if it is not already runni...

Running a daemon as root
Hello, I am getting started on a project where a central server communicates with nodes across a network. The central server will be written in PHP, since most of it will be accessible over the web. The nodes are not accessible to the end user, so I don't really care what they're written in, but unfortunately, they need to be able to execute programs as root. I figured perl would be a good tool for the nodes, since it's available on most linux boxes. I realize that running a root daemon is risky business. What are good strategies to prevent the nodes from being... misused? For i...

What runs on port 2500

daemonizing after binding to port
Hello everyone, I'm starting a SocketServer.TCPServer in my program, but since I want to report problems to script starting the program, I want to go daemon *after* TCPServer has done binding to port. Is this likely to cause problems? I mean, my client works when I do the above, that is, it connects to the server. But I'm not sure if above is the Right Thing(tm). First: self.server = SocketServer.TCPServer((host, port), handleclass, bind_and_activate=False) self.server.socket.setsockopt(socket.SOL_SOCKET, socket.SO_REUSEADDR, 1) self.server.server_bind() self.s...

What runs on port 2020
I have looked thru the port numbers and this appears to be a file sharing/trojan port of somewhat. I have thouroughly checked each system for virues/trojans and Spyware and nothing comes back. Is there a program that opens this by default or something? Wilykiote(work) wrote: > *I have looked thru the port numbers and this appears to be a file > sharing/trojan port of somewhat. I have thouroughly checked eac > system for > virues/trojans and Spyware and nothing comes back. Is there a progra > that > opens this by default or something? * Check this out.. Looks like zo...

How do I run WEBrick as a daemon?
Hi I'm trying to make a simple web server to provide decryption to a C# app that can't access OpenSSL libraries. It has to run on a FreeBSD server so I need to make it run as a daemon, but I can't work out how. The skeleton of the code is below. I've noticed there is a WEBrick::Daemon class but I can't figure out how to use it. I've tried using script/server from Rails as a template but it's pretty complex. Can anyone offer some hints? Thanks in advance Ashley #!/usr/bin/env ruby class PasswordServer include WEBrick def initialize(port) ...

only queue run, no daemon
Hello, how can I configure sendmail just to run as a queue processor for locally injected mails? I don't want a daemon to be run, not even on 127.0.0.1. I tried to omit the -bd option, but then sendmail didn't take notice of newly injected mails. I couldn't find anything about this in the FAQs. Regards Marten Lehmann Marten Lehmann wrote: > how can I configure sendmail just to run as a queue processor for > locally injected mails? I don't want a daemon to be run, not even on > 127.0.0.1. I tried to omit the -bd option, but then sendmail didn't take > n...

avaih daemon ports
I'm running linux (Kubuntu 7.04) and my PC network has been work fine until today. Today, my internet access broke. I checked ifconfig and found that my ethernet port eth0 is running avahi-deamon and the address is 169.254.6.95. Before today, as far as I know the IP address assigned by dhcp was 192.168.2.100. I checked my router and legal ports on my LAN are 192.168.2.100 through 192.168.2.149. To get my network working again it would seem that I would have to configure avahi-daemon to assign a port in the same range that the router is using. I have taken a quick look at the avahi docume...

rcp daemons not running
I'm running Kubuntu 7.10 on two desktop PCs and I'd like to use NFS with them. The first PC, peewee, will be the server. It is running xinetd and portmap. When I run rpcinfo -p, the only lines to show up are: > program vers proto port > 100000 2 tcp 111 portmapper > 100000 2 udp 111 portmapper The Linux nfs HOWTO indicates that for nfs to run, the following daemons should show up when I run rpcinfo -p: > program vers proto port > 100000 2 tcp 111 portmapper > 100000 2 udp 111 portmapper > 100011 ...

proble while running as daemon
Hi all, I have developed a corba(ace tao) application in c+ . It failed to run as daemon.I have passed the -ORBDaemon parameter,still it doesn't work. Is there any critierias for running as a daemon function. I have commented out all the output messages in my application still not working? Is there any other thing that has to be done? Thanks and Regards Hi, To ensure that we have proper version/platform/compiler information, please make sure you fill out the appropriate problem report form (PRF), which is in $ACE_ROOT/PROBLEM-REPORT-FORM $TAO_ROOT/PROBLEM-REPOR...

Crond daemon not running
I have set up my /etc/crontab file as below but the processes in the mentioned shell files are not running!! The permissions are set to 777 for those files so please tell me if I am missing something... SHELL=/bin/bash PATH=/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin MAILTO=root HOME=/ # run-parts 27 * * * * root run-parts /etc/cron.hourly 54 * * * * sh /var/sioux/docs/dstcheck/processes/proread.sh >/var/sioux/docs/dstcheck/processes/proread.out 2>/var/sioux/docs/dstcheck/processes/proread.err 27 9 * * * root run-parts /etc/cron.daily 07 12 * * * root sh /var/sioux/docs/dstche...

Ports on back of 1 1/2 year old iMac G5I have a chance to buy a reasonably net iMac G5. I have two,questions about the ports on the back of it.,,1. I have an apple 23 in screen. Can I run it from the
I have a chance to buy a reasonably net iMac G5. I have two questions about the ports on the back of it. 1. I have an apple 23 in screen. Can I run it from the iMac G5 (even if it displays the same thing that would be a help). 2. Does it have digital audio out? (I thought I could find specs at the applestore, but all they have are the new iMacs). Thanks for any infor, suggestions, or pointers, Chris Go to the Apple web site and select the Support tab. They have a specifications page which allows you to view the specifications of many Macs that are no longer made. (Incredibly long Su...

X and SMC daemon not running
Hi, I've just installed Solaris 10 03/05 on an old Ultra 10. When it comes up, it only has command line login. I can get a graphic login by logging as root and running gdm, but it would be nice if it did it automatically. To this end I logged in graphically, and ran smc (I wasn't sure if I could set up X as a service from within SMC - probably can't) but then it said that there was not an SMC daemon running on that machine. At that point I decided to make sure it was in the right run level. Unlike Linux there does not appear to be a run level for multiuser + X, so I tried init 3, ...

Running TCPTRACE on 2 ports
Does anybody know if this is possible? I tried the obvious.. TCPTRACE <hostname> /PORT=(LOCAL=1012, LOCAL=1013) /FULL but it only captures the last port. There is an awful lot of stuff to trace all, so I am hoping for a technique to do just the 2 I want. Running TCPTRACE twice does not work. The second attempt fails with DEVACTIVE , device is active. Any ideas anybody? am I trying the impossible? -John Replying to my own stuff again! Sorry. On Nov 2, 12:17=A0pm, Big John <wolvercote_j...@btinternet.com> wrote: > Does anybody know if this is possible? I tried the obvious.. ...

running a script like a daemon
Hi there. I would like to know how to launch a script from the command line (like via telnet) with the ability to exit the command line without stopping the thead. Afterwards I would like to be able to retrieve the id of the thread to kill it. I know this is not really Python related since I have had the problem with Java already ( before my conversion to Python)... but, any idea would be appreciated. Thanks :) ivan le magnifique wrote: > I would like to know how to launch a script from the command line (like > via telnet) with the ability to exit the command line without stopping ...

how to find out is an snmp daemon is running?
Hi all, After some googling to no result I hope this newsgroup will bring me closer to the solution of this. How can I find out, from a remote machine, if some other has an snmp daemon running. I can assume the port is 161 but do not know the community name. What kind of string should I send? Is it dependent on the version the daemon supports? Tnx in advance for all answers adirtymindisajoyforever <getridofthespam@yahoo.com> wrote: > After some googling to no result I hope this newsgroup > will bring me closer to the solution of this. > How can I find out, fro...

Running X programs with the at daemon
Greetings. How can I run an X program using at? The following trivial example produces a "kdialog: cannot connect to X server" error message in the mailed output log: $ at 13:44 warning: commands will be executed using /bin/sh at> kdialog --title "Hello" --msgbox "Hello" at> <EOT> job 2 at 2005-08-12 13:44 Regards, Tristan -- _ _V.-o Tristan Miller [en,(fr,de,ia)] >< Space is limited / |`-' -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= <> In a haiku, so it's hard (7_\\ http://www.nothingisreal.com/ >< To finish what y...