Crossover cable vs LAN cable

I've got two pc's and a friend who's helping me out with providing me
with the necessary equipment to setting up a network between the two,
but he gave me some homework of sorts.

Could someone please help me out and do the crossover cable vs LAN
cable?

Thank you so very very much
Kali
0
popstar_14
12/31/2003 4:42:42 AM
comp.win.networking.misc 2434 articles. 0 followers. kmcneal (4) is leader. Post Follow

On 30 Dec 2003 20:42:42 -0800, Lonax wrote:

> I've got two pc's and a friend who's helping me out with providing me
> with the necessary equipment to setting up a network between the two,
> but he gave me some homework of sorts.
>
> Could someone please help me out and do the crossover cable vs LAN
> cable?
>
> Thank you so very very much
> Kali

http://www.swhowto.com/HomeNetWiring_Ch3.htm
0
Curt
12/31/2003 5:02:58 AM
A Crossover cable is a cable that you connect 2 computer together directly.
A network cable is a cable that connects a hub, switch, or router to a
computer.

If you only have 2 computers, and no hub, connect them with a crossover
cable.

Are you planning on using both to connect to the internet via roadrunner or
DSL?

"Lonax" <popstar_14@msn.com> wrote in message
> I've got two pc's and a friend who's helping me out with providing me
> with the necessary equipment to setting up a network between the two,
> but he gave me some homework of sorts.
>
> Could someone please help me out and do the crossover cable vs LAN
> cable?
>
> Thank you so very very much
> Kali

0
REBEL
12/31/2003 12:50:44 PM
[This followup was posted to comp.os.ms-windows.networking.misc and a copy
was sent to the cited author.]

In article <95a4429a.0312302042.404b53af@posting.google.com>, popstar_14
@msn.com says...
> I've got two pc's and a friend who's helping me out with providing me
> with the necessary equipment to setting up a network between the two,
> but he gave me some homework of sorts.
>
> Could someone please help me out and do the crossover cable vs LAN
> cable?

  On a standard 8-wire (4 pairs) Ethernet cable, two pairs are used.
Orange for TX+/TX-, and Green for RX+/RX-. In a normal cable, the pin
numbering stays the same (White/Orange is pin 1, Orange is 2, etc..) On a
crossover, Green and Orange are swapped, and Brown and Blue are swapped.

  Typically, hubs and switches are set up so that you use straight wired
cables, although some, especially home versions, can work either way. If
you connect two network devices directly together, you typically need a
crossover cable, although some cable modems may either both ways, are be
wired like a hub/switch.

  It can get very confusing. But, typically, if you are connecting
computers and modems together using a hub/switch/router, use straight-thru
cables.

law!!
http://home.att.net/~andyross
0
Andrew
12/31/2003 3:37:19 PM
In article <MPG.1a5ca92ee9f7f247989889@news.comcast.giganews.com>,
andysnewsreply@no_junk.comcast.net says...
>   On a standard 8-wire (4 pairs) Ethernet cable, two pairs are used.
> Orange for TX+/TX-, and Green for RX+/RX-. In a normal cable, the pin
> numbering stays the same (White/Orange is pin 1, Orange is 2, etc..) On a
> crossover, Green and Orange are swapped, and Brown and Blue are swapped.

  I should have added: the swapping is one end compared to the other.

  One easy way to check. Hold both ends side-by-side, with the latch
facing down, and the contacts facing up and away from you. Look at the
wire colors. If they match, you have a straight-thru cable. If you see the
orange/green swapped, and blue/brown swapped, it is a crossover.

  Some links:
http://www.hardwarebook.net/cable/network/ethernet10basetstraightthru.html
http://www.hardwarebook.net/cable/network/ethernet10basetcrossover.html

law!!
http://home.att.net/~andyross
0
Andrew

Converting a FastCat5e network cable into a crossover cable
I tried posting this question in some other newsgroups but haven't gotten a response, so maybe someone here can help me. I ran a 10Base2 home network (2 computers) for several years but recently bought new network adapters and decided to switch over to 10BaseT at that time. A friend told me I could wire the PC's together directly thereby avoiding the need for a hub. However, he neglected to tell me I would need to use crossover cable, so I bought FastCat5e networking cable. I couldn't understand why my network wasn't working until I read this (or another) newsgrou...

Can I convert a FastCat5e network cable into a crossover cable?
I ran a 10Base2 home network (2 computers) for several years but recently bought new network adapters and decided to switch over to 10BaseT at that time. A friend told me I could wire the PC's together directly thereby avoiding the need for a hub. However, he neglected to tell me I would need to use crossover cable, so I bought FastCat5e networking cable. I couldn't understand why my network wasn't working until I read this (or another) newsgroup yesterday and discovered I needed to use a crossover cable if I wasn't using a hub. Aggghhh! Ok, no big deal except that now I&...

Crossover cable connection and Network Cable Unplugged message
Hello, I have a strange problem that maybe someone can help me with. I have two notebook PCs that I'm trying to connect using a crossover cable. Whenever I connect them, I'm getting a Network Cable Unplugged message. Both computers are on and connected properly. I have double and triple checked the cable. I have tried other known working crossover cables. When I changed the suspect computer, the connection is fine. The computer that is having the problems is a Dell Vostro 1220C. I am having Dell replace the motherboard after Dell technical support suggested that remedy. Ho...

[...]

Supply Cat5e Patch Cords,Cat5e Patch Cables,Network Patch Cables,Network Patch Cords,Unshielded Patch Cables,Cat6 Patch Cables,Cat6 Patch Cords
Supply Cat5e Patch Cords,Cat5e Patch Cables,Network Patch Cables,Network Patch Cords,Unshielded Patch Cables,Cat6 Patch Cables,Cat6 Patch Cords Supply Cat5e Patch Cords, Cat5e Patch Cables Network Patch Cables Network Patch Cords Unshielded Patch Cables Cat6 Patch Cables Cat6 Patch Cords UTP Patch Cords UTP Patch Cables STP Patch Cords STP Patch Cables FTP Patch Cords FTP Patch Cables Shielded Patch Cords Shielded Patch Cables Cat5 Patch Cords Cat5 Patch Cables China Patch Cords China PAtch Cables Please See More Details at the Link: http://www.cheerwe-telecom.com http://indonetwork.net/cheer...

Supply Cat5e Patch Cords,Cat5e Patch Cables,Network Patch Cables,Network Patch Cords,Unshielded Patch Cables,Cat6 Patch Cables,Cat6 Patch Cords
Supply Cat5e Patch Cords,Cat5e Patch Cables,Network Patch Cables,Network Patch Cords,Unshielded Patch Cables,Cat6 Patch Cables,Cat6 Patch Cords Made in China Supply Cat5e Patch Cords, Cat5e Patch Cables Network Patch Cables Network Patch Cords Unshielded Patch Cables Cat6 Patch Cables Cat6 Patch Cords UTP Patch Cords UTP Patch Cables STP Patch Cords STP Patch Cables FTP Patch Cords FTP Patch Cables Shielded Patch Cords Shielded Patch Cables Cat5 Patch Cords Cat5 Patch Cables China Patch Cords China PAtch Cables Patch Cable Manufacturers Patch Cords Manufacturers China ...

Network two Win XP Pro laptops with crossover cable
I have a Win XP Pro laptop and a Win 2K laptop from work that both belong to the Apollo domain (at work). I have both laptops at home and want to transfer files from one laptop to the other using a crossover cable. I setup static IP addresses (192.168.1.200 and 192.168.1.201) and I can ping each laptop from the other. When I drill down into Entire Network -> Microsoft Windows Network -> Apollo domain, I see both laptops. >From the Win 2K laptop, when I click on the Win XP Pro laptop name, I get a popup that says "\\Laptop-2 is not accessable. There are currently no logon serv...

Network two Win XP Pro laptops with crossover cable
I have a Win XP Pro laptop and a Win 2K laptop from work that both belong to the Apollo domain (at work). I have both laptops at home and want to transfer files from one laptop to the other using a crossover cable. I setup static IP addresses (192.168.1.200 and 192.168.1.201) and I can ping each laptop from the other. When I drill down into Entire Network -> Microsoft Windows Network -> Apollo domain, I see both laptops. >From the Win 2K laptop, when I click on the Win XP Pro laptop name, I get a popup that says "\\Laptop-2 is not accessable. There are currently no logon serv...

Win 2k to Win XP on crossover cable
I am trying to connect two laptops useing a crossover cable, but I can't see both systems. System 1 is a Compaq Armada M700 with an internal 10/100 nic System 2 is a Dell Latatiude CPX-H 650 useing a 3COM pcmcia 10/100 card. I have set both systems to use auto detect of network settings and when I go to my network places on system 2 (Win 2K) I see both it's name and the name of system 1 (Wim XP) but I get a network path not found error when I try to access system 1. From network places on system 1 I don't see either system listed. Is thier a way to run netbui on XP ? I no it is ...

Win 2k to Win XP on crossover cable
I am trying to connect two laptops useing a crossover cable, but I can't see both systems. System 1 is a Compaq Armada M700 with an internal 10/100 nic System 2 is a Dell Latatiude CPX-H 650 useing a 3COM pcmcia 10/100 card. I have set both systems to use auto detect of network settings and when I go to my network places on system 2 (Win 2K) I see both it's name and the name of system 1 (Wim XP) but I get a network path not found error when I try to access system 1. From network places on system 1 I don't see either system listed. Is thier a way to run netbui on XP ? I no it is ...

Turning a crossover cable into a straight through cable
I have a 100ft crossover cable that I want to tun into a straight through cable. Could I just buy another 3ft crossover cable, and a connection adaptor to hook them together to turn it into a straight through? I once did this using a 50ft straight through cable, and a 3ft crossover cable to turn it into a crossover. Larry Roberts wrote: > I have a 100ft crossover cable that I want to tun into a > straight through cable. Could I just buy another 3ft crossover cable, > and a connection adaptor to hook them together to turn it into a > straight through? I once did this us...

crossover cable networking
Hi, I'm a linux newbie trying to setup a linux box in order to runa bibliography server for my home network. i've got the computers connected, but can't share internet between them. what I've done is connect my windows 2000 computer with a linux (mandrake 8.2) computer with a crossover cable. the windows computer has two NICs eth0 dlink wireless card, set to DHCP, usually 192.168.0.101 eth1 3com ethernet card, set to 10.1.0.1 the linux computer has one NIC eth0 3com ethernet card, set to 10.1.0.2 both linux and windows can ping each other. what i'm having trouble wit...

networking with a crossover cable
Hi, I tried to connect two XP boxes today with a cross-over cable. Both XP boxes say that the network cable is unplugged. Also, I tried using the set-up wizard and on both both boxes it said that the network cable is unplugged. Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong. Thanks in advance, Peter If the network cards work when plugged into a hub or switch on both computers, you most likely have a bad crossover cable. If one of the computers is a laptop with a 3.3 volt NIC, sometimes a 5 volt NIC won't connect to it (usually older ones). ...kurt "plehrer" <plehrer@gmail.c...

Web resources about - Crossover cable vs LAN cable - comp.win.networking.misc

Fictional crossover - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A fictional crossover (short: crossover ) is the placement of two or more otherwise discrete fictional characters , settings , or universes into ...

Sandberg-Goldberg Family Trust Receives Facebook Shares from Technology Crossover Ventures
Facebook chief operating officer Sheryl Sandberg reported in a Form 4 filing Tuesday with the Securities and Exchange Commission that the Sandberg-Goldberg ...

Crossover Chronicles (@crossoverNBA) on Twitter

7 Car Crossover Accident - 169 Highway - Kansas City - 3/11/10 - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Huge 7 car accident on 169 Highway between Englewood Rd. and 68th St. north of the river. One guy I ran into said that he thinks the red Toyota ...

Who Has the Best Crossover in the NBA Today? - YouTube
Check out what players around the league have to say about who has the best crossover in the game.

Duel of the Day: Main Characters from Fallout & Skyrim Battle in Epic Crossover
Two very different worlds collide in this new video imagining what it would be like if the guy from Fallout took on Skyrim’s Dovahkiin. Can a ...

Fears for missing toddler at Crossover, near Warragul
Police hold fears for a missing toddler who may have wandered from her southeast Melbourne home onto a nearby road.

Tesla takes hit amid crossover plans
EV-maker loses $50 million in first quarter as it plans international models.

Family Guy, The Simpsons crossover episode revealed
The producers of the hit animated comedy Family Guy have given fans their first glimpse of the upcoming crossover episode that will bring Family ...

Mazda mulls X6-style crossover
Mazda mulls X6-style crossover