help in enabling Windows XP Pro file and printer sharing resources using a Linksys Wireless G Router?

Can anyone help me enable Windows XP Pro file and printer sharing resources
using a Linksys Wireless G Router (WRT54G)?  So far, all the computers are
able to connect to the internet and receive email. Also could the VPN Check
Point firewall (www.checkpoint.com) hinder the file and printer sharing?

My wireless network consists of one computer connected to...
1 Computer connected through the Linksys Wireless G Router which is wired
through a CAT5e cable.
1 Computer using a Linksys Wireless-G PCI adapter (WMP54G)
1 Laptop using a Linksys Wireless-G Notebook adapter (WPC54G)

Cheers to anyone who can help out here.

0
videopong
3/1/2004 5:12:58 PM
comp.win.networking.misc 2434 articles. 0 followers. kmcneal (4) is leader. Post Follow

On Mon, 1 Mar 2004 12:12:58 -0500, "videopong" <xpc@bellnet.ca> wrote:

>Can anyone help me enable Windows XP Pro file and printer sharing resources
>using a Linksys Wireless G Router (WRT54G)?  So far, all the computers are
>able to connect to the internet and receive email. Also could the VPN Check
>Point firewall (www.checkpoint.com) hinder the file and printer sharing?
>
>My wireless network consists of one computer connected to...
>1 Computer connected through the Linksys Wireless G Router which is wired
>through a CAT5e cable.
>1 Computer using a Linksys Wireless-G PCI adapter (WMP54G)
>1 Laptop using a Linksys Wireless-G Notebook adapter (WPC54G)
>
>Cheers to anyone who can help out here.

I used SecuRemote for three years and it never got in the way of file sharing.
I've since been using the Nortel Contivity client to their VPN appliance for
around six months and that has had no deleterious effects on file sharing
either.

- enable file and printer sharing on all systems
- make sure all systems are in a common Workgroup
- turn off "simple file sharing"
- either disable XP firewall or punch holes though it for the local LAN
members
- create identical accounts (username and password) on all systems
- create at least one share on each system - shared to the username above.

At that point you should be able to map a share from each system, if only by
ip address. If your local name resolution is working you should also be able
to browse and mount the shares on each system via Network Neighborhood...

If you are unable to browse shares via Network Neighborhood:
- configure all nodes to use static IP addresses
- create an LMHOSTS file with entries for all LAN elements
- enable Netbios over TCPIP on all systems

/daytripper
0
daytripper
3/1/2004 11:07:16 PM
I'll try that.

Thanks daytripper.

"daytripper" <day_trippr@REMOVEyahoo.com> wrote in message
> On Mon, 1 Mar 2004 12:12:58 -0500, "videopong" <xpc@bellnet.ca> wrote:
>
> >Can anyone help me enable Windows XP Pro file and printer sharing
resources
> >using a Linksys Wireless G Router (WRT54G)?  So far, all the computers
are
> >able to connect to the internet and receive email. Also could the VPN
Check
> >Point firewall (www.checkpoint.com) hinder the file and printer sharing?
> >
> >My wireless network consists of one computer connected to...
> >1 Computer connected through the Linksys Wireless G Router which is wired
> >through a CAT5e cable.
> >1 Computer using a Linksys Wireless-G PCI adapter (WMP54G)
> >1 Laptop using a Linksys Wireless-G Notebook adapter (WPC54G)
> >
> >Cheers to anyone who can help out here.
>
> I used SecuRemote for three years and it never got in the way of file
sharing.
> I've since been using the Nortel Contivity client to their VPN appliance
for
> around six months and that has had no deleterious effects on file sharing
> either.
>
> - enable file and printer sharing on all systems
> - make sure all systems are in a common Workgroup
> - turn off "simple file sharing"
> - either disable XP firewall or punch holes though it for the local LAN
> members
> - create identical accounts (username and password) on all systems
> - create at least one share on each system - shared to the username above.
>
> At that point you should be able to map a share from each system, if only
by
> ip address. If your local name resolution is working you should also be
able
> to browse and mount the shares on each system via Network Neighborhood...
>
> If you are unable to browse shares via Network Neighborhood:
> - configure all nodes to use static IP addresses
> - create an LMHOSTS file with entries for all LAN elements
> - enable Netbios over TCPIP on all systems
>
> /daytripper

0
videopong

[...]

How Do I enable Windows XP Pro file and printer sharing resources using a Linksys wireless G Router
Can anyone help me enable Windows XP Pro file and printer sharing resources using a Linksys Wireless G Router (WRT54G)? So far, all the computers are able to connect to the internet and receive email. Also could the VPN Check Point firewall (www.checkpoint.com) hinder the file and printer sharing? My wireless network consists of one computer connected to... 1 Computer connected through the Linksys Wireless G Router which is wired through a CAT5e cable. 1 Computer using a Linksys Wireless-G PCI adapter (WMP54G) 1 Laptop using a Linksys Wireless-G Notebook adapter (WPC54G) Cheers t...

HELP! How to use windows XP as a router to seperate network through wireless
The current set up is as follows: ISP to a Linux based router to main network in house with Wireless. PC connected to Wireless network running XP Pro XBOX connected to PC via crossover cable. Goal: To connect XBOX to internet and network ideally on the network. The problem Tried using Windows XP bridge between the two connections to no avail. Set ip on XBOX and PC NIC to 10.0.0.x range subnet 255.255.0.0 Wireless route/nic(PC) and rest of network on 192.168.0.x subnet 255.255.255.0 How can we get this to work as being a nightmare and just can't work it out. Many thanks in adv...

HELP! How to use windows XP as a router to seperate network through wireless
The current set up is as follows: ISP to a Linux based router to main network in house with Wireless. PC connected to Wireless network running XP Pro XBOX connected to PC via crossover cable. Goal: To connect XBOX to internet and network ideally on the network. The problem Tried using Windows XP bridge between the two connections to no avail. Set ip on XBOX and PC NIC to 10.0.0.x range subnet 255.255.0.0 Wireless route/nic(PC) and rest of network on 192.168.0.x subnet 255.255.255.0 How can we get this to work as being a nightmare and just can't work it out. Many thanks in adv...

Would like to use Linksys Wireless Broadband Router for File Sharing
Currently, my computer is connected to a Linksys Wireless-B Broadband Router, model 802.11b, which in turn in connected to a WireSpeed DSL modem, connecting me to the Internet. My husband´┐Żs computer is linked to my router via a Linksys Wireless-B USB Network Adapter so that he, too, can access the Internet via the same DSL connection, and we can both be on the Internet at the same time. What do I need to do in order for us to be networked between each other so that he can share my files and vice versa, and so that I can share his printer and vice versa? For all I know, we m...

Connecting Windows 98 to a Mac to share files (using router on local network)
I have been referred her from microsoft.public.win98.networking in the hope that you can solve the problem I am having that they couldn't. The original query of mine is shown below. "Hi there. I am a windows user, but very envious of the Mac (money constrainsts only prevent me from getting one), and I am trying to connect to a Mac on a local network, using Network Neighbourhood on the Win98 machine, and File Sharing on the Mac. We have a router, which we have managed to set up the windows machines to share through, and we have followed the help files for creating a...

using shared deskjet 720c (win 98 se) on another computer computer (win XP) but printer isn't in list of printers
Hello. Is there another computer that could be selected from the list that comes with Windows 87 Second Edition? The Deskjet 720 c isn't on the list. I tried to install the software on win98se machine but the install program is looking for an LPT port but I want to install it as a network shared printer. If I use "Add Printer" it prompts me to select from a list. The closest HP Deskjet on this list is 690c, 692c, 693c, 694c, 850c, 855c, etc. Can I substitute a lower number? How should I proceed? Thanks! Rich Hollenbeck Oops! I know there is no Windows 87! Doh! I mean...

Network Printer help: Use a Shared Printer on a WinXP machine
Hello, I am new to Linux. I have the Slackware flavor installed, version 9.1. I am trying to use a shared printer on a Windows XP machine. I have verified that I can access the machine (ADDIE) through the network with: smb://Addie in Konqueror (Note: THis requires a USername/Password). I do have CUPS installed. I tried adding the printer with the CUPS "Add Printer" method. Below is the infomation I added: <First Page> Name: Addie's Printer Location: //Addie Description: Addie's Printer <Second Page> Device: Unknown Network Device(smb) ...

Using Linksys wireless router for internet connection, can I use it to network computers?
Hi, I have 2 desktops and one laptop connected to a linksys router for dsl internet connection and it works great. Can i use it to network the computers (for printer/file sharing?) I look in network neighborhood and I dont see the other computers, and this doesnt seem to be covered in the maual. thanks entity@ziplip.com (Entity) wrote in message news:<c2bc2de2.0306280741.7f650bdb@posting.google.com>... > Hi, I have 2 desktops and one laptop connected to a linksys router for > dsl internet connection and it works great. Can i use it to network > the computers (for printe...

Networking Win 2K Pro to Win XP Pro
I have two computers in my home office, 1 running Windows XP Pro and the other running Windows 2000 Professional. They are both hooked up to a Netgear router to access the broadband connection. I want the two to now share files as well as a printer attached to the XP computer. I've set them both to the same workgroup name and shared the drive on the computers, but they don't seem to be able to see each other. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Russ Askea askear@yahoo.com On 25 Jan 2004 14:32:49 -0800, askear@yahoo.com (Russ) wrote: >I have two computers in my home...

Win XP Pro and Win XP home networking
Hi, I am new to networking. I have 2 machines one is Win XP Prof (WXP) other is Win XP home (WXH). The 2 machines are connected using cross over cable. I am trying to enable file sharing between the two machines. Some problems that I have encountered is 1) Both machines can ping thenselves but cannot ping the other machine it results in Request Time Out. 2) I have set up VNC viewer on both the machines and I am able to connect to that from the other machine and that works fine. I mean if VNC server is running on WXP, WXH can access it and vice-versa. I have made the users etc...

Enable printer sharing in windows XP
I am trying to enable the printer sharing in windows XP programmatically. The operation i am trying to imitate is: 1. right click on a local printer (in printers and faxes window). 2. choose sharing from menu. 3. press on the "I understand the security risk..." hyper link. 4. choose just enable printer sharing. 5. press on the "OK" button. I have tried to look all over the web for what happening below the surface when i choose the "Just enable printer sharing" but could not find a clue. Please help me understand what is happening when i choose the...

Weird sharing problem Win XP Pro
Hi all, I ran to a very strange problem last week: One of my clients is running an acc2k app for years. So now he wants to share the backend with another workstation in order to work simultaneously. Should be no problem...heh ?? So, we installed this other PC, added this pc to the local workgroup, enabled file- and printer sharing and such. We shared the directory with the be, added a network connection and tried to attach to the be-tables. "No permission or database in use" is the error... but... the db is NOT in use...!! Weird... all the other files in the directo...

Web resources about - help in enabling Windows XP Pro file and printer sharing resources using a Linksys Wireless G Router? - comp.win.networking.misc

Minister of Natural Resources (Canada) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Minister of Natural Resources ( French : Ministre des Ressources naturelles ) is the Minister of the Crown in the Canadian Cabinet who is ...

ASX rally fizzles as commodity crunch weighs on resources and energy stocks
A strong start to the Australian sharemarket turned sour on Tuesday, as declining commodity prices weighed heavily on resources and energy stocks. ...

Resource stocks could rally in 2017: BKI
Resources companies that have been smashed by slowing demand from China may rebound from their current performance woes as early as next year, ...

Microsoft to donate '$1 billion' worth of cloud computing resources
... of motivation, its donations are much appreciated. Today, Microsoft announces that it is donating "$1 billion" worth of cloud computing resources, ...

Creating Personal Wealth: 7 Resources Every Business Woman Should Know About
Being a woman in the business world can be rough, and you need to prove yourself every time you turn around. One thing that will show that you ...

A New Resource
My colleague Ariel Pakes alerts me to a new website that should be of interest to readers of this blog: Microeconomic Insights provides accessible ...

Resource Sites Open For Flint Residents Amid Water Crisis
Deputy State Director of Emergency Management and Homeland Security Capt. Chris Kelenske says "residents can pick-up all of the resources they ...

The False Promise Of Decoupling GDP Growth From Resource Consumption
... less by our selfish greed, but by the very ancient norms of gift exchange. [&hellip The False Promise Of Decoupling GDP Growth From Resource ...

"The Flash" EP Teases New Romance for Iris, Big Changes for Barry - Comic Book Resources
"The Flash" EP Teases New Romance for Iris, Big Changes for Barry - Iris gets a new boss in the back half of "The Flash" season two, and even ...

DOJ's head of pardons and clemency petitions resigns due to frustration over lack of resources
... to review clemency petitions from federal inmates. But at the end of this month she'll step down, due to frustration over "a lack of resources ...