Networking Questions I have for multiple OS Networking

I have some questions that I am hoping someone can help me with. I
have plans to network 7 PC's together with different OS as follows.

Windows XP Prof
Windows XP Home
Windows 2000
Windows Me
Windows 98 SE
Windows 95B
Linux Red Hat 8.0

  My 7 computers have their OS installed as well as 10/100mbps NICs,
which will all connect to my 10/100 Switch.

  (1.) Does anyone know of any incompatibilities I will have or
problems that I can avoid when setting up this network of multiple
operating systems?

  (2.) Is there any patches I will need for specific OS to network
with the other OS?

   (3.)Because the Windows XP Home/Prof, 2000, and Me are using NTFS,
will the Windows 98 and Windows 95 systems on FAT32 be able to read
the contents of the networked NTFS drives or will there only be a
single directional accessability in which the XP/2000/Me systems can
access all networked drives and the Win 95/98/Linux Red Hat 8.0
systems will only be able to see each other?

   To make it a little easier networking wise, all my NIC's are the
same make, so I can avoid any incompatibilities of NIC's.

   (4.)Will certain systems have to be brought online in a specific
order to sychronize on the network?

   (5.)Is it possible to share internet access between these systems
and a 56k dial-up modem, by use of sharing the connetion a single
computer has in the network through the AOL ISP? I am wondering if IE
on the other 5 computers can connect through the network through the
computer with the dial-up internet connection so they can be online
and idling ready for use?

   In the end I hope to have all  7 computers with different OS
networked together as (Peer to Peer) if possible....But I can set it
up as Client/Server if needed also for certain compatibility reasons.

   Right now I have my 8-port KVM hooked up to these systems so I can
jump OS on the fly, and hope to have these networked all together if
it is possible. Thanks for any help you can provide!
0
supersport73
9/15/2003 10:23:13 PM
comp.win.networking.misc 2434 articles. 0 followers. kmcneal (4) is leader. Post Follow

supersport73@aol.com (Dave) wrote in news:9ce709c6.0309151423.72e20ca7
@posting.google.com:

> I have some questions that I am hoping someone can help me with. I
> have plans to network 7 PC's together with different OS as follows.
>
> Windows XP Prof
> Windows XP Home
> Windows 2000
> Windows Me
> Windows 98 SE
> Windows 95B
> Linux Red Hat 8.0
>
>   My 7 computers have their OS installed as well as 10/100mbps NICs,
> which will all connect to my 10/100 Switch.
>
>   (1.) Does anyone know of any incompatibilities I will have or
> problems that I can avoid when setting up this network of multiple
> operating systems?
>
>   (2.) Is there any patches I will need for specific OS to network
> with the other OS?
>
>    (3.)Because the Windows XP Home/Prof, 2000, and Me are using NTFS,
> will the Windows 98 and Windows 95 systems on FAT32 be able to read
> the contents of the networked NTFS drives or will there only be a
> single directional accessability in which the XP/2000/Me systems can
> access all networked drives and the Win 95/98/Linux Red Hat 8.0
> systems will only be able to see each other?
>
>    To make it a little easier networking wise, all my NIC's are the
> same make, so I can avoid any incompatibilities of NIC's.
>
>    (4.)Will certain systems have to be brought online in a specific
> order to sychronize on the network?
>
>    (5.)Is it possible to share internet access between these systems
> and a 56k dial-up modem, by use of sharing the connetion a single
> computer has in the network through the AOL ISP? I am wondering if IE
> on the other 5 computers can connect through the network through the
> computer with the dial-up internet connection so they can be online
> and idling ready for use?
>
>    In the end I hope to have all  7 computers with different OS
> networked together as (Peer to Peer) if possible....But I can set it
> up as Client/Server if needed also for certain compatibility reasons.
>
>    Right now I have my 8-port KVM hooked up to these systems so I can
> jump OS on the fly, and hope to have these networked all together if
> it is possible. Thanks for any help you can provide!

All windows OS will network and share files regardless of file system.
You will need SAMBA in order to share the Linux/Windows. There are no
incompatabilities in what you described.
0
BobC

Networking with windows network
Hi, have two different machines connected to windows network. The OS/2 machines are essentially identical. I have installed fixpax 15, WR_8423, WR_8425, and IP_8414. I have settings for ibmlan.ini and protocol.ini the same on both machines. Both machines have a folder shared with the same permissions. When I connect to machine1 via the windows network, I am prompted to enter user name and password - which I do and all works fine. When I connect to Machine2 I get no prompt for username and password and a lt of times I get the blasted too many connections error. Where else can I look to...

network within a network
I am a college student living in a duplex. Our whole duplex has one internet connection. I have a laptop with a wireless card and a ethernet card. I use the wireless card to access the internet. I also have a desktop with only a ethernet card that i am trying to connect to my laptop. Im trying to make my own network to share the internet connection with my desktop. My problem arises when i try to make my laptop the host to my network, i think it tries to take the 192.168.0.1 ip address which is already taken by the router ( in other apartment). so i get ip address conflictions. A...

Re: Nortel Networks, Alcatel, Cisco, Juniper Networks, Enterasys / Cabletron, Extreme Networks, Foundry Networks, 3Com, Lucent, Marconi / Fore, Riverstone Networks, and others.
"Netbuy" <netbuy@bellsouth.net> wrote in message news:... > WTB: Nortel Networks, Alcatel, Cisco, Juniper Networks, Enterasys / > Cabletron, Extreme Networks, Foundry Networks, 3Com, Lucent, Marconi / Fore, > Riverstone Networks, and others. > > We buy the above networking hardware. > > Email netbuy@bellsouth.net with what you have. We may have interest in > buying it. > > SAY YOU SAW IT IN THE NEWSGROUP! > > ...

WTB: Nortel Networks, Alcatel, Cisco, Juniper Networks, Enterasys / Cabletron, Extreme Networks, Foundry Networks, 3Com, Lucent, Marconi / Fore, Riverstone Networks, and others.
WTB: Nortel Networks, Alcatel, Cisco, Juniper Networks, Enterasys / Cabletron, Extreme Networks, Foundry Networks, 3Com, Lucent, Marconi / Fore, Riverstone Networks, and others. We buy the above networking hardware. Email netbuy@bellsouth.net with what you have. We may have interest in buying it. SAY YOU SAW IT IN THE NEWSGROUP! ...

Network Question, Subnetting Wireless Network, etc.
Hey guys, I trying to create a small network, I have a cable modem, connected to a linksys wireless router, i have two computers connected via wireless cards, to that router, I'm using DHCP to give me 192.168.1.X address, my question is my buddy is in an apartment next to me and we want his own seperate network and file sharing, which will not me visable via the entire 192.168.1.X network, so if I hook a router to an 192.168.1.X address, "his valid DHCP address", into coming connection line to the router, will the computers connect behind that router have a different addr...

Multiple Network Adapters Browse Network Neighborhood
Probably not the most ideal setup... We have a setup where the web/mail servers are behind a firewall and then an additional firewall is placed between the web/mail servers and the office computers. The web/mail servers have public IPs and the office computers have private IPs. In an attempt to avoid nasty issues of replicating active directory across the firewall, we have one W2K server that has a network card with a private address and one with a public address. When our office users browse the network neighborhood they see the public computers only in the network neighborhood. Is there ...

Multiple Network Adapters Browse Network Neighborhood
Probably not the most ideal setup... We have a setup where the web/mail servers are behind a firewall and then an additional firewall is placed between the web/mail servers and the office computers. The web/mail servers have public IPs and the office computers have private IPs. In an attempt to avoid nasty issues of replicating active directory across the firewall, we have one W2K server that has a network card with a private address and one with a public address. When our office users browse the network neighborhood they see the public computers only in the network neighborhood. Is there ...

single interface multiple networks + broadcast to all networks
Hello, I have a machine which is in one network say 192.168.1.0. But we have here a configuration where two networks 192.168.1.0 and 192.168.2.0 are local and directly available. So I had to set up two routes to the local networks. Now this machine should be a cups-server to both networks and broadcast his cups-information into both networks. I seems that I can sent only broadcast-packets to the network where the host belongs. Is it so uncommon to sent broadcast into the other network? Or must be the source of a broadcast packet originate in the same network? Do I have to enable somet...

basic windows networking question: network resource access
I have a situation that I've kluged the solution to, was wondering if there is a more elegant way to do this.... If I have a resource (shared file) on a Win2K server that I access via UNC name from a Win2K Pro system, and for some reason the server is temporarily offline, any attempt to access the file causes the system running my program to hang for some period of time until the read/write attempt times out. To solve this, I first ICMP ping the server. If the server responds, I assume it is available for file read/write operations. This works, but can get pretty cumber...

Multiple Xerox Network Scanners on Centreware Network Scanning
Hi I would like to install multiple tyes of (X)erox (N)etwork (S)canners to one (C)entreware (N)etwork (S)canning. The CNS is installed on Windows server 2003 standard. The problem i have run into is: If i install 2 XNS's they can see each others users (templates) even though they are pointing to different FTP-addresses i have made on the server. I would like to install one XNS and point it to one place and another XNS to point to another place so they cant see each others users. Is it possible to use Windows own FTP capability or do i have to install a FTP-server to do this? ...

Network password for MS Networking
I now use DSL on a Windows 98SE system. When I start the system I always get a window asking for my network password. The name is default and the password is blank. I just hit OK and proceed. I am actually not connected to DSL until I connect to my provider. Is there any way of bypassing this window and proceed directly to finish loading the system? Thanks, John "john" <z2345678998765432y@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message news:calapv8si35uiiff2ve3hc43knn76c2h18@4ax.com... > > I now use DSL on a Windows 98SE system. > > When I start the syste...

Networking a non-network printer
If I have a USB printer connected to a machine on my local network, can I print to it from another machine? I'm thinking that if they're both OSX, I could in principle ftp a file to the machine with the printer, telnet in to that machine, and use lpr. So in theory it must be possible. Can it be done via GUI functionality? And more importantly in my case, can it be done somehow if the target machine is OS9? In article <BLOCKSPAMfishfry-EF2D34.20140009012004@netnews.comcast.net>, fishfry <BLOCKSPAMfishfry@your-mailbox.com> wrote: > If I have a USB printer conne...

network
hi all, i'm newbie on networking field in labview, before this, i had done a project about DAQ, and i found out labview is a quite interesting&nbsp;programming&nbsp;langauge than others, so i wish to explore more about labview's abilities. &nbsp; All i want to ask is about can labview monitoring packages throught our pc? another question is about do labview having the function of tracking the packages through our network adapter and find out the sender? &nbsp; if the both&nbsp; answers are yes, where i'm going to start about this? or any places having some tea...

Networking a Mac to a PC network
Hi! What is the easiest way to do this? I have 2 Macintosh LC 575 computers. One setup with Appleshare, the other with a network card and Localtalk bridge. When hooking up the enet card to my switch, I can't seem to get anything to work. Also, not sure what to do. Would like to use the PC net to store files on my NT 4 server, for the Macintosh, and maybe surf the web with the Mac. Any suggestions? -- John Van Winkle appleiieman@charter.net In article <RXCHd.46$9f.21@fe05.lga>, "John Van Winkle" <appleiieman@charter.net> wrote: > Hi...

Web resources about - Networking Questions I have for multiple OS Networking - comp.win.networking.misc

Synchronous optical networking - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
SONET and SDH, which are essentially the same, were originally designed to transport circuit mode communications (e.g., DS1 , DS3 ) from a variety ...

Bivid Location-Based Social Networking App Launches on iOS
Following a beta launch of its platform in September 2015, Bivid has officially launched its location-based social networking app on iOS. Bivid ...

D-Link Demonstrates Innovative Networking Solutions at CES
D-Link had two major core networking announcements at CES along with a host of updates for their home automation product line. There are a number ...

How different networking standards are competing to connect the Internet of Things
... network connection, these devices will fail to deliver that value. Device owners can choose between a number of established and emerging networking ...

Schools Participating in Cisco's Networking Academy Program Receive More Than ...
Schools Participating in Cisco's Networking Academy Program Receive More Than ... CNNMoney Cisco Canada (NASDAQ: CSCO) in partnership with ...

Sources: Presidio To Buy $350M Cisco Networking Powerhouse Netech *
Presidio is expected to make its second acquisition in less than a month by purchasing Netech Corp., a fast-growing networking VAR with SMB and ...

Verizon, Cisco Invest in Wireless Networking Startup Kumu
Deutsche Telekom contributed to the $25 million raised by Kumu Networks, whose technology is designed to improve the use of wireless spectrum. ...

How To Combine Networking And Playdates
Business networking doesn't always have to take you away from your kids. Here's how to get them involved. Networking is vital for any career. ...

10 LinkedIn Networking No No's That Will Tarnish Your Brand
When used appropriately, LinkedIn provides an unparalleled opportunity for expanding and bolstering your brand. But it can all go wrong if you ...

Link Trucker is a Tiny Networking Giant
If you’re a networking professional, there are professional tools for verifying that everything’s as it should be on the business end of an Ethernet ...