problem with network configuration on Windows 2003 server

I just installed Windows 2003 on a new server I purchased.  I'm setting
it up as web server, something I've done several times before.
Everything seemed fine at first, but then I realized that I couldn't
reach the server from anywhere in or out of the network.  I also then
realized I couldn't connect outward from the server itself.  I can't
even ping the gateway from the server.  However, Windows itself seemed
to show the netowrk connection as fine.  (VPN or firewall or anything
similar are not enabled)

I am certain the IP number is good and all network settings are
correct.  Everything else, such as the switch are fine.  (the same
switch connects to several other servers of mine within the same IP
range and the same gateway, so it isn't a router issue)

In going through all the server settings, I notice that in the network
status info, the physical address of the server is showing as all Fs.
This obviously isn't a valid physical address.

Someone told me this is a hardware issue I should address with the
manufacturer.  Is it something I can correct, or is it something the
manufacturer must take care of?  Would this cause the problem I am
describing?  Although I've worked with servers for a while, this gets a
little beyond my technical knowledge.

0
bruce9999
12/30/2004 3:55:41 AM
comp.win.networking.misc 2434 articles. 0 followers. kmcneal (4) is leader. Post Follow

WINDOWS XP PRO --> WINDOWS 2003 SERVER
Hello, I want to add to the domain a computer but I can't. Client PC with Windows XP Pro can only see itself and the same with the windows 2003 server. The ping doesn't work. Maybe the problems are the IP numbers? Hardware is correctly installed and appears in both computers the network icon working. Can someone help me? Thanks in advance. PeeWee You must get basic network TCP/IP connectivity working first. PING tests will help. Once that happens then try joining the PC to the domain. Can you describe your network and TCP/IP network addressing? ...

Network Performance Problems with Dominos Web Server on Windows 2003
Hello. We have recently migrated a Lotus Dominos 6.5 database from Windows 2000 to Windows 2003. If we use a browser on that server to access the database locally, the response time is great. However, if we try to access the database over the network, the response time is awful. The server is ok as far as CPU and RAM use (less than 5%). The same database runs very fast when accessed over the network on a similarly configured Windows 2000 machine. I think it must have to do with some settings in Windows 2003 network buffering and/or caching and Dominos defaults ... Any ide...

Win 2000 server and Win 2000 pro network problems
Hi, I'm setting up a network with a server and one client. The server has a two NIC's ( one for the cable connection and the other for the client ). The problem is that the client can't connect to the internet. I have the server assigning an IP for the client using DHCP. The client and the server can connect to each other and share files but for some reason neither can ping each. Is there some way that the server can be used as a router and have the client connect to the internet? Thanks Hi, again I forgot to mention that the server connects to th...

Networking with windows network
Hi, have two different machines connected to windows network. The OS/2 machines are essentially identical. I have installed fixpax 15, WR_8423, WR_8425, and IP_8414. I have settings for ibmlan.ini and protocol.ini the same on both machines. Both machines have a folder shared with the same permissions. When I connect to machine1 via the windows network, I am prompted to enter user name and password - which I do and all works fine. When I connect to Machine2 I get no prompt for username and password and a lt of times I get the blasted too many connections error. Where else can I look to...

SFTP Server (for Windows Server 2003) that can map "network drives"
Hello, I am looking for a SFTP Server for Windows Server 2003, which has the capability to map network drives (which have been mapped vie net use to the Windows Server) further to the SFTP client. Many thanks and kind regards, Jens gte477k <jens.schroeder@gmx.ch> writes: > Hello, > > I am looking for a SFTP Server for Windows Server 2003, which has the > capability to map network drives (which have been mapped vie net use > to the Windows Server) further to the SFTP client. > > Many thanks and kind regards, Van Dyke VShell server I believe can do this. A trial...

Legato Networker 7.2.2 Build 422 -- Creating & Configuring a NDMP Client so that the CIFS Servers on a Celerra Networker Server Can be backed up
I am trying to run a backup of my Celerra Network Server NS40G. I am running backups through the Legato Networker Server 7.2.2. Build 422. For my two Celerra units I have two NDMP clients set up on the Legato Networker Server. I have created the clients no problem on the Legato Networker Server, added them to my Daily Backup Group and started the configuration -- here is how the clients are configured so far: In the General Tab of my client: The name of the client is netwincp.cph.local The saveset I have listed is -- userfiles ** userfiles is the name of one of my file system...

Windows Server 2003 Network Types?
Hi there, currently i am doing a reserach on the Microsoft Windows Server 2003. I was wondering if anyone could help me to find what are the types of networks that the Windows 2003 Server can manage. If anyone could suggest me some websites to go to, i would really appreciate it. I would like to know how these network diagrams look like. Thanks in advance for those who helped me find the websites. Please let me know the website URLs as i need to reference these findings. Thanks! Regards, Jess jesswess82@hotmail.com (jespreet) wrote in message news:<837add1a.0404250420.30bc0afe...

Win XP Home Network Ping and My Network Places problem
Hi, I have a home network with two Win XP Home machines. Everything appears to be working properly with a dial-up ICS connection and ICF in use. Previously I had the Win XP ICS host connected to a Win 98 machine. I recently replaced the Win 98 machine w/ a Win XP machine. Although the two XP machines can talk to each other, when I ping from the host XP machine to the client using the client computer name the ping fails. If I use the IP address the ping succeeds. Also I have a number of shares defined on the client computer and none of them appear when I look at My Network Places ...

Win XP Home Network Ping and My Network Places problem
Hi, I have a home network with two Win XP Home machines. Everything appears to be working properly with a dial-up ICS connection and ICF in use. Previously I had the Win XP ICS host connected to a Win 98 machine. I recently replaced the Win 98 machine w/ a Win XP machine. Although the two XP machines can talk to each other, when I ping from the host XP machine to the client using the client computer name the ping fails. If I use the IP address the ping succeeds. Also I have a number of shares defined on the client computer and none of them appear when I look at My Network Places ...

Windows server 2003 client to a HP OfficeJet g85x printer through a networked HP Jetdirect 170x printer server.
I had tried and failed to connect a Windows server 2003 client to a HP OfficeJet g85x printer through a networked HP Jetdirect 170x printer server. I had tried HP Officejet g85x driver for Windows XP and Windows 2000. Both drivers refuse to run. If anyone have successfully make the connection, please help!!! Ching-yeh Tzseng tzseng wrote: > I had tried and failed to connect a Windows server 2003 client to a HP > OfficeJet g85x printer through a networked HP Jetdirect 170x printer > server. I had tried HP Officejet g85x driver for Windows XP and > Windows 2000. Both driver...

Windows Server 2003 Network Types?
Hi there, currently i am doing a reserach on the Microsoft Windows Server 2003. I was wondering if anyone could help me to find what are the types of networks that the Windows 2003 Server can manage. If anyone could suggest me some websites to go to, i would really appreciate it. I would like to know how these network diagrams look like. Thanks in advance for those who helped me find the websites. Please let me know the website URLs as i need to reference these findings. Thanks! Regards, Jess Hi Mr jesspreet: I think you should be very precise as I dont seem to understand what ...

Windows Server 2003 Network Types?
Hi there, currently i am doing a reserach on the Microsoft Windows Server 2003. I was wondering if anyone could help me to find what are the types of networks that the Windows 2003 Server can manage. If anyone could suggest me some websites to go to, i would really appreciate it. I would like to know how these network diagrams look like. Thanks in advance for those who helped me find the websites. Please let me know the website URLs as i need to reference these findings. Thanks! Regards, Jess jesswess82@hotmail.com (jespreet) wrote in message news:<837add1a.0404250415.4c491c9f...

Problems Configuring Bind on Windows Server 2003
Hi Guys, I have a Windows 2003 Virtual Private Server and I'm trying to configure it with a BIND DNS Server so my web hosts can point a domain name to it. I've installed BIND9.4.2 on the server using some good instructions I found here: http://alex.charrett.com/technical/bind-on-windows.html I've followed all the instructions of the guide, and have configured and started BIND server service on the box. I think all the configuration went well and the file named.conf (I hope) is OK, but there was a single instruction from the above guide I had difficulty understand...

Windows 2003 Server Network
I need some expert advice. This is our following setup; 1x Windows 2000 Server (Staff), 1x Novell Server (Learners), 1x Antivirus Server (W2000 Srv) I am attempting to upgrade it all, we're getting rid of Novell and going for 2 seperate Windows 2003 Servers; one for the Learners, one for the Staff. Oh and a new Windows 2003 Exchange Server for Staff emails. My questions are these (if anyone can help); 1) Would it be advisable to use two seperate Domains, one for the Learners, one for the Staff and then link them (so each logon process is seperate) - if so how? 2) How ...

Web resources about - problem with network configuration on Windows 2003 server - comp.win.networking.misc

Pusher configuration - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In a craft with a pusher configuration the propeller (s) are mounted behind their respective engine(s). According to Bill Gunston , a "pusher ...

Facebook Simplifies XCode Configuration, Adds App Events To IOS SDK
Facebook released a new software-development kit for iOS , version 3.6 , the social network announced in a post on its developer blog . continued… ...

Safe Gadget - Secure Your Computer and Smartphones with Easy to Follow Security Configuration Tips on ...
Get Safe Gadget - Secure Your Computer and Smartphones with Easy to Follow Security Configuration Tips on the App Store. See screenshots and ...

The Promise of System Configuration - YouTube
Google Tech Talks November 5, 2008 ABSTRACT In 1993 cfengine was one of the first open source configuration management systems for Unix, and ...

IBM: The PC is the new mainframe - Apple, Configuration / maintenance, Data Center, hardware systems ...
"The PC is dead!" We've heard that message a lot since the birth of Apple's iPad, but when one of the creators of IBM's first PC added his voice ...

Cloud BI vendor Birst bags $38 million in venture funding - SaaS, Configuration / maintenance, Birst ...
Birst, a San Francisco company that offers cloud-based business intelligence services, has scored a US$38 million venture investment led by existing ...

EMC teams with Avaya (not Cisco) on communication pods - unified communications, Configuration / maintenance ...
Two stalwarts in the enterprise IT market joined forces today to release a unified communications stack that integrates hardware from EMC, virtualization ...

MIT panel warns of challenges of hyper-networked world - management, Configuration / maintenance, IDC ...
A panel discussion held at MIT this week hailed major advances in networking technology, but warned that the challenges facing the world's information ...

New 15-inch 2.5 GHz MacBook Pro unboxed and compared to other 2015 configurations
Apple’s new 15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina Display is here and available in a few different configurations. We’re take a closer look at the ...

Qualcomm Announces Snapdragon 820 Modem Configuration
... program. While we have some information about various bits and pieces of Snapdragon 820, the real points of interest like the exact CPU configuration, ...