Puzzled over Remote Desktop

I am trying to connect to my computer using the remote desktop and I am
unable to do this. The following have been initiated

1. Remote Desktop in running
2. Port 3389 is listening
3. Telnet 127.0.0.1 3389 produces a response (this tells me remote desktop
is running)
4. There is no firewall (Windows are disabled and there is no third party
firewall)
5. I can ping the computer but I can not ping specific port for example I
can ping 192.23.45.22 but I can not ping 192.23.45.22 at port 3389
6. There is no router
7. I use Comcast and their provided cable modem (EZ Connect model
SMC8013WG).

I have came to two conclusions:

Either the cable modem is blocking by using its internal firewall (This
model apparentl has built in firewall and requires a  login and password to
enter its setup which is not provided. Comcast cliams they are not blocking
port 3389)
or ISP is blocking this somehow.

I would appreciate if anyone has any similar experience

Gene

0
Gene
3/16/2005 7:22:57 PM
comp.win.networking.misc 2434 articles. 0 followers. kmcneal (4) is leader. Post Follow

setup a home network with win-xp laptop and win 2K desktop
hi, i have a windows-XP laptop and a windows-2000 desktop both connected to internet through a belkin router. can anyone tell me how to setup these computers onto a local network and access the files of each computer from the other??? - i did put both computers onto same workname - desktop is able to see the laptop but is not able to connect to it - laptop is not even seeing anything, it complains abt not having permissions to connect to that workname ur help is appreciated thanks Go into Network properties -> TCPIP -> Advanced -> WINS and enable NetBios over TCP...

Win Win Win Win......
Win Win Win Win...... Win cash Rs.10,000. SMS BLUFF to 57333 (Only For Indian) Free Registration! - Register here Free:- http://offr.biz/HLDDT337130BVGMJPF (....Free Offer is Valid Only For First 250 members who Registered...) ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ...

Remote Desktop over SSH
Hi - I am using SSH to connect to remote desktop on an XP machine. The tunnel is working - I can connect and get the login screen, but as soon as I log in, it hangs and then comes back with a network error. Anyone seen this before? I connect from a work machine to a Redhat box using remote tunneling. Then connect from the home XP box to the redhat box which is forwarded over the SSH tunnel to the work machine's 3389 port. Thanks! JoeO ...

Wireless Network vs. Remote Desktop??
I am home user with a laptop (XP Home) and a desktop (XP Pro). I currently do not have a home network but do have high speed web via cable modem & router for laptop access. I would like the laptop to be able to use files on the desktop & the printer hooked up to it. The desktop is always on and always connected to the web and is rarely in use other than myself. I'm considering using either a wireless network or XP Pro's remote desktop. Could someone please tell me the pros and cons of each (I know the remote desktop would let me access it from other places as well as...

Remote Desktop Connection Problem to windows network
I wonder if someone can help me please. I have a mac powerbook g4 operating osx 10.4.3 and have downloaded remote desktop connection from microsoft. I use the windows version of rdc to connect my home pc to work and that is fine however, I cannot get the mac version to work at all. I keep getting the message " The client could not connect to the remote computer. Either remote connections are not enabled, the maximum number of connections was exceeded, or a network error occurred......" I can connect ok from my mac to the internet through 'airport' via a router using safari ...

Windows XP dual networking with Remote Desktop connection
Hi, I have a Windows XP system (SP2 patched) with a ASUS P5AD2 Premium mainboard having two Marvel Yukon onboard network adaptors. I want to do: * use the first adaptor for external networking (Internet and Remote Desktop connection) with a fixed IP. * use the second adaptor for internal networking with a private fixed IP(for example, 192.168.1.100) to connect to two PCs by Remote Desktop connection. What I found, after tens of days of testing, is that: * initially dual networking is OK as expected, * but, after several hours, the Remote Desktop connection from the external netwo...

Windows XP dual networking with Remote Desktop connection
Hi, I have a Windows XP system (SP2 patched) with a ASUS P5AD2 Premium mainboard having two Marvel Yukon onboard network adaptors. I want to do: * use the first adaptor for external networking (Internet and Remote Desktop connection) with a fixed IP. * use the second adaptor for internal networking with a private fixed IP(for example, 192.168.1.100) to connect to two PCs by Remote Desktop connection. What I found, after tens of days of testing, is that: * initially dual networking is OK as expected, * but, after several hours, the Remote Desktop connection from the external netwo...

Windows Networking : Basic Question abt Remote Desktop access
Hi I am pretty new to Windows networking and have a very basic question: I believe it is possible to log in to a computer remotely if one has a user account on that machine. However, I am unaware of what is the procedure for this, what are system requirements and how to configure the computer so that I can remotely access it. The OS for which I want to learn abt this is Windows XP and Windows Server 2003. I know that there are options like RealVNC where we can control a system but I have seen instances when this does not work... So can anyone throw some light on the subject and point m...

Running "remote desktop connection" on a wireless network
Hi, I've just started setting up a wireless network between my laptop and a desktop computer. Basically the wireless acess point is connected to the desktop via a network cable, which is in turn ,connnected to the broadband router via usb. I have the network up and running, can share broadband connections and can share files etc but I can't seem to get "remote desktop connections" running. Their both windows xp computers so there's no incompatability with the OS. Eventually I want to connect up a monster of a computer which I'm building which will "hopefully&...

Assistance in troubleshooting CBAC for remote desktop access to office network
My home router is a Cisco 2600 running 12.2(34) firewall feature set. Accessing the internet with the running CBAC works. I can successfully VPN to my company network. My issue is when trying to remote desktop to a server and my office computer. - I know that I successfully established a TCP handshake with the server because I did a traffic capture and saw the SYN/SYN-ACK/ACK. The furthest I get is seeing the blue desktop screen on my Remote Desktop window and then the "network error" message. I don't even get to see the Windows Logon screen. - My ZoneAlarm log shows that it all...

Apple Remote Desktop to home computer on Airport Extreme network
I apologize if I have just missed this. I have googled. I have tried to deal with Apple�s forums. I have tried stuff on my own. I have an iMac (OS X 10.4..11) at home I want to get to. Airport Extreme (n) IP (external) is xx.xxx.x.xx and given out by DHCP from a cable modem iMac�s IP (static from AE) is 10.0.1.201 iMac connects to Airport Extreme via Cat5 cable. I have forwarded ports 3283, 5900, 5988 (BTW all other forwarded ports for torrents work correctly) I have turned off the Firewall in Sharing Preference Pane. About the only other thing I can see to mess with is the Internet Shar...

[...]

Norton Internet Security 2003 & remote desktop connection with Win XP
Hello, I have windows XP Pro on my computer with the home edition of NIS 2003. I tried already everything to connect with my PC from remote position but if my NIS firewall is on it want work. I tried to change the rule already but with no success. If I put my firewall off it works immediately so the problem is definitely there. Does anyone know what to change in my settings? Thank you very much for replying, Dino Dino, Most of the people who know how to do this aren't going to tell you. Why? In the first place, they're unlikely to do it themselves, because they would just be p...

Web resources about - Puzzled over Remote Desktop - comp.win.networking.misc

Mum puzzled by bear - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Explore wmacphail's photos on Flickr. wmacphail has uploaded 7585 photos to Flickr.

Energy Secretary puzzled by simple question - YouTube
When Rep. Joe Barton asked the Nobel Prize winning Energy Secretary, Dr. Steven Chu, where oil comes from - he got a puzzling answer.

Why am I so puzzled by cryptic crossword puzzles?
I have always been a fan of words. That might not surprise you.

Police puzzled after outnumbered pair beaten in Perth carpark
Police are searching for answers after two men took a beating in a Perth car park early on Saturday morning.

Police puzzled as fire at South Melbourne hotel, The Albion, is probed - HeraldSun Search Search
A VENDETTA against the owners of up-market hotel The Albion — including Collingwood champion Dane Swan — is one avenue of ­inquiry as mystery ...

Missing Brit backpacker's story leaves outback rescuers puzzled
SOMETHING is just not stacking up in the story of rescued backpacker Sam Woodhead.

Murdoch history lesson leaves observers puzzled
Australia's relationship with the United States was at its lowest level for more than 50 years when John Howard was elected Prime Minister in ...

Ludlam puzzled by lack of Senate recount
Greens senator Scott Ludlam has lodged an appeal with the Australian Electoral Commissioner (AEC) against a decision not to recount the Senate ...

Samsung puzzled by early Galaxy S5 release in South Korea
The global launch of Samsung's latest smartphone has been upstaged by South Korean telcos.

Twenty-year hiatus in rising temperatures has climate scientists puzzled
DEBATE about the reality of a two-decade pause in global warming and what it means has made its way from the sceptical fringe to the mainstream. ...