f



Windows XP and Windows 98 Networking... Ugh...

Here is my problem, I have a Win 98 network, It works great with any
computer as long as it is windows 98.. My friend has XP home and he can
connect to my router and get on the internet, but file and print sharing
doesn't work. I can see his computer on the network but I cant connect. I
think it says something like the network path could not be found.  I'm Just
wondering if anybody could tell me what the trick is to networking xp... I
know it has a lot of security features from NT and its probably something to
do with my lack of knowledge of win nt.

I havnt upgraded to xp yet because I just havnt got around to it yet, and I
actually think I like 98 after all of these years of use ; ). (uses less
memory / hdd too)

I think it may be something to do with the NetBIOS (possibly on automatic or
disabled), but I dont have the computer here now to play with..

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

- Mike Kennedy
Mikek400 _at_ earthlink.net    (replace _at_ with @)


---
Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
Version: 6.0.677 / Virus Database: 439 - Release Date: 5/4/04


0
Mike
5/17/2004 6:46:43 AM
comp.win.networking.misc 2434 articles. 0 followers. kmcneal (4) is leader. Post Follow

5 Replies
798 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 14

On Mon, 17 May 2004 06:46:43 GMT, "Mike Kennedy"
<mikek400@R3MOVE.earthlink.net> wrote:

>Here is my problem, I have a Win 98 network, It works great with any
>computer as long as it is windows 98.. My friend has XP home and he can
>connect to my router and get on the internet, but file and print sharing
>doesn't work. I can see his computer on the network but I cant connect. I
>think it says something like the network path could not be found.  I'm Just
>wondering if anybody could tell me what the trick is to networking xp... I
>know it has a lot of security features from NT and its probably something to
>do with my lack of knowledge of win nt.
>
>I havnt upgraded to xp yet because I just havnt got around to it yet, and I
>actually think I like 98 after all of these years of use ; ). (uses less
>memory / hdd too)
>
>I think it may be something to do with the NetBIOS (possibly on automatic or
>disabled), but I dont have the computer here now to play with..
>
>Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Does he have Windows XP's "Internet Connect Firewall" enabled?
0
daytripper
5/17/2004 10:30:22 PM
No

"daytripper" <day_trippr@REMOVEyahoo.com> wrote in message
news:g5fia09ak19o7pqb7rauul7elrlbutboet@4ax.com...
> On Mon, 17 May 2004 06:46:43 GMT, "Mike Kennedy"
> <mikek400@R3MOVE.earthlink.net> wrote:
>
> >Here is my problem, I have a Win 98 network, It works great with any
> >computer as long as it is windows 98.. My friend has XP home and he can
> >connect to my router and get on the internet, but file and print sharing
> >doesn't work. I can see his computer on the network but I cant connect. I
> >think it says something like the network path could not be found.  I'm
Just
> >wondering if anybody could tell me what the trick is to networking xp...
I
> >know it has a lot of security features from NT and its probably something
to
> >do with my lack of knowledge of win nt.
> >
> >I havnt upgraded to xp yet because I just havnt got around to it yet, and
I
> >actually think I like 98 after all of these years of use ; ). (uses less
> >memory / hdd too)
> >
> >I think it may be something to do with the NetBIOS (possibly on automatic
or
> >disabled), but I dont have the computer here now to play with..
> >
> >Any suggestions would be appreciated.
>
> Does he have Windows XP's "Internet Connect Firewall" enabled?


---
Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
Version: 6.0.677 / Virus Database: 439 - Release Date: 5/4/04


0
Mike
5/18/2004 11:52:12 PM
But he did have norton running when i looked in msconfig.. Uninstalled and
everything works great now!

- Mike

"Mike Kennedy" <mikek400@R3MOVE.earthlink.net> wrote in message
news:Mkxqc.20775$KE6.15484@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net...
> No
>
> "daytripper" <day_trippr@REMOVEyahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:g5fia09ak19o7pqb7rauul7elrlbutboet@4ax.com...
> > On Mon, 17 May 2004 06:46:43 GMT, "Mike Kennedy"
> > <mikek400@R3MOVE.earthlink.net> wrote:
> >
> > >Here is my problem, I have a Win 98 network, It works great with any
> > >computer as long as it is windows 98.. My friend has XP home and he can
> > >connect to my router and get on the internet, but file and print
sharing
> > >doesn't work. I can see his computer on the network but I cant connect.
I
> > >think it says something like the network path could not be found.  I'm
> Just
> > >wondering if anybody could tell me what the trick is to networking
xp...
> I
> > >know it has a lot of security features from NT and its probably
something
> to
> > >do with my lack of knowledge of win nt.
> > >
> > >I havnt upgraded to xp yet because I just havnt got around to it yet,
and
> I
> > >actually think I like 98 after all of these years of use ; ). (uses
less
> > >memory / hdd too)
> > >
> > >I think it may be something to do with the NetBIOS (possibly on
automatic
> or
> > >disabled), but I dont have the computer here now to play with..
> > >
> > >Any suggestions would be appreciated.
> >
> > Does he have Windows XP's "Internet Connect Firewall" enabled?
>
>
> ---
> Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
> Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
> Version: 6.0.677 / Virus Database: 439 - Release Date: 5/4/04
>
>


---
Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
Version: 6.0.677 / Virus Database: 439 - Release Date: 5/4/04


0
Mike
5/19/2004 3:11:40 AM
"Mike Kennedy" <mikek400@R3MOVE.earthlink.net> wrote in message news:<MfAqc.20962$KE6.18279@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net>...
> But he did have norton running when i looked in msconfig.. Uninstalled and
> everything works great now!
> 
> - Mike
> 
> "Mike Kennedy" <mikek400@R3MOVE.earthlink.net> wrote in message
> news:Mkxqc.20775$KE6.15484@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net...
> > No
> >
> > "daytripper" <day_trippr@REMOVEyahoo.com> wrote in message
> > news:g5fia09ak19o7pqb7rauul7elrlbutboet@4ax.com...
> > > On Mon, 17 May 2004 06:46:43 GMT, "Mike Kennedy"
> > > <mikek400@R3MOVE.earthlink.net> wrote:
> > >
> > > >Here is my problem, I have a Win 98 network, It works great with any
> > > >computer as long as it is windows 98.. My friend has XP home and he can
> > > >connect to my router and get on the internet, but file and print
>  sharing
> > > >doesn't work. I can see his computer on the network but I cant connect.
>  I
> > > >think it says something like the network path could not be found.  I'm
>  Just
> > > >wondering if anybody could tell me what the trick is to networking
>  xp...
>  I
> > > >know it has a lot of security features from NT and its probably
>  something
>  to
> > > >do with my lack of knowledge of win nt.
> > > >
> > > >I havnt upgraded to xp yet because I just havnt got around to it yet,
>  and
>  I
> > > >actually think I like 98 after all of these years of use ; ). (uses
>  less
> > > >memory / hdd too)
> > > >
> > > >I think it may be something to do with the NetBIOS (possibly on
>  automatic
>  or
> > > >disabled), but I dont have the computer here now to play with..
> > > >
> > > >Any suggestions would be appreciated.
> > >
> > > Does he have Windows XP's "Internet Connect Firewall" enabled?
> >
> >
> > ---
> > Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
> > Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
> > Version: 6.0.677 / Virus Database: 439 - Release Date: 5/4/04
> >
> >
> 
> 
> ---
> Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
> Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
> Version: 6.0.677 / Virus Database: 439 - Release Date: 5/4/04


Can someone please explain what the problem was?  Mike, what exactly
you uninstalled?

Also, Where can I disable "Internet Connect Firewall"?

Thanks,
Dotan.
0
dotan_ak
5/28/2004 4:19:31 AM
On 27 May 2004 21:19:31 -0700, dotan_ak@yahoo.com (DotNYC) wrote:

>"Mike Kennedy" <mikek400@R3MOVE.earthlink.net> wrote in message news:<MfAqc.20962$KE6.18279@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net>...
>> But he did have norton running when i looked in msconfig.. Uninstalled and
>> everything works great now!
>> 
>> - Mike
>> 
>> "Mike Kennedy" <mikek400@R3MOVE.earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> news:Mkxqc.20775$KE6.15484@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net...
>> > No
>> >
>> > "daytripper" <day_trippr@REMOVEyahoo.com> wrote in message
>> > news:g5fia09ak19o7pqb7rauul7elrlbutboet@4ax.com...
>> > > On Mon, 17 May 2004 06:46:43 GMT, "Mike Kennedy"
>> > > <mikek400@R3MOVE.earthlink.net> wrote:
>> > >
>> > > >Here is my problem, I have a Win 98 network, It works great with any
>> > > >computer as long as it is windows 98.. My friend has XP home and he can
>> > > >connect to my router and get on the internet, but file and print
>>  sharing
>> > > >doesn't work. I can see his computer on the network but I cant connect.
>>  I
>> > > >think it says something like the network path could not be found.  I'm
>>  Just
>> > > >wondering if anybody could tell me what the trick is to networking
>>  xp...
>>  I
>> > > >know it has a lot of security features from NT and its probably
>>  something
>>  to
>> > > >do with my lack of knowledge of win nt.
>> > > >
>> > > >I havnt upgraded to xp yet because I just havnt got around to it yet,
>>  and
>>  I
>> > > >actually think I like 98 after all of these years of use ; ). (uses
>>  less
>> > > >memory / hdd too)
>> > > >
>> > > >I think it may be something to do with the NetBIOS (possibly on
>>  automatic
>>  or
>> > > >disabled), but I dont have the computer here now to play with..
>> > > >
>> > > >Any suggestions would be appreciated.
>> > >
>> > > Does he have Windows XP's "Internet Connect Firewall" enabled?
>> >
>> >
>> > ---
>> > Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
>> > Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
>> > Version: 6.0.677 / Virus Database: 439 - Release Date: 5/4/04
>> >
>> >
>> 
>> 
>> ---
>> Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
>> Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
>> Version: 6.0.677 / Virus Database: 439 - Release Date: 5/4/04
>
>
>Can someone please explain what the problem was?  Mike, what exactly
>you uninstalled?

What happened was he discovered there was a firewall application other than
Windows ICF running. He used the msconfig widget to stop it from loading at
boot time, which avoided the problem he was having.

>Also, Where can I disable "Internet Connect Firewall"?

Control Panel - Network Connections - Local Area Connections - Properties -
Advanced...

/daytripper
0
daytripper
5/28/2004 10:07:02 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

LAN Networking with Windows XP and Windows 98
hello, I have 3 computers: 2x with Windows XP Professional installed 1x with Windows 98 SE installed. I have knowledge on how to set up a simple lan and the configuration I think is correct, but whenever I have all 3 computers connected to my 4 port 10/100 ethernet hub I always get a collision whenever all 3 are logged on.... All I do is disconnect one of the cables from the hub and it fixes the problem....But I should be able to have 3 PC's connected to a four port hub otherwise there is no point having 4 ports.... Should the NIC's be set to 100Mbps - Full duplex??? Because that is w...

LAN Networking with Windows XP and Windows 98
hello, I have 3 computers: 2x with Windows XP Professional installed 1x with Windows 98 SE installed. I have knowledge on how to set up a simple lan and the configuration I think is correct, but whenever I have all 3 computers connected to my 4 port 10/100 ethernet hub I always get a collision whenever all 3 are logged on.... All I do is disconnect one of the cables from the hub and it fixes the problem....But I should be able to have 3 PC's connected to a four port hub otherwise there is no point having 4 ports.... Should the NIC's be set to 100Mbps - Full duplex??? Because that is w...

Windows XP PC cannot see Windows 98 machines in the network
I have a network hub with 4 computers, a printer server and a router with DSL connected to the hub. Ever since I changed one of the computers from Windows 98 to Windows XP Home, I can not see the other computers (running Windows 98) in the network from the computer that is running XP Home. I can not access the printer server either, but I am able to access the router and use the Internet. From the Windows 98 computers, I can see all four computers,the printer server, and the internet. Help, please. M. Bentolila I have the exact same problem and have not found an answer afte...

Windows XP PC cannot see Windows 98 machines on the network
I have a network hub with 4 computers, a printer server and a router with DSL connected to the hub. Ever since I changed one of the computers from Windows 98 to Windows XP Home, I can not see the other computers (running Windows 98) in the network from the computer that is running XP Home. I can not access the printer server either, but I am able to access the router and use the Internet. From the Windows 98 computers, I can see all four computers,the printer server, and the internet. Help, please. M. Bentolila ...

Centos XP windows network DHCP DNS Zonealarm Conflicts -> can talk linux to windows network OR www not both
Centos 5.1 Windows XPSP2 Zonealarm Firewall Standard Windows workgroup. Router with DHCP server. Set centos for DHCP Zonealarm off System works. Turn on Zonealarm on XP, Centos is blocked from contacting XP. Put Centos IP address into Zonealarm trusted zone. Everything works...until reboot when Centos gets a new IP. Don't know how to give Centos a traditional windows workgroup hostname that I can put into Zonealarm...no problem, just use fixed IP address. Bug in Centos 5.1: Fixed IP address fails to setup DNS. So, now I can't connect to the web. Is there a workaround to make all...

Networking Windows 7 with Windows XP
My Windows 7 and Windows XP computers can't talk to each other. They have = the same workgroup and are in the same subnet. Windows 7 can ping XP by IP= address but not by hostname. Windows XP can't ping Windows 7 by IP addres= s or host name. They were talking to each other until I restored the XP co= mputer from a backup, so I don't think the issue is with Windows 7. Any id= eas? ...

Networking with windows network
Hi, have two different machines connected to windows network. The OS/2 machines are essentially identical. I have installed fixpax 15, WR_8423, WR_8425, and IP_8414. I have settings for ibmlan.ini and protocol.ini the same on both machines. Both machines have a folder shared with the same permissions. When I connect to machine1 via the windows network, I am prompted to enter user name and password - which I do and all works fine. When I connect to Machine2 I get no prompt for username and password and a lt of times I get the blasted too many connections error. Where else can I look to...

windows 98Se and windows XP network help
I have a simple network involving a PC on XP and a laptop on 98SE being connected together via a ethernet switch. They can both each other's adress and get a reply via the command prompt, but neither can see the other in network neighbourhood. Any ideas?? Thanks Edward Fixed this too. edwardmluk@hotmail.com (Edward) wrote in message news:<5e8d667.0312300617.507186ac@posting.google.com>... > I have a simple network involving a PC on XP and a laptop on 98SE > being connected together via a ethernet switch. They can both each > other's adress and get a repl...

Networking RISC PC to Windows XP Network
Can anyone help me with the simplest step by step simple word instructions to enable me to network my Acorn RISC PC running RISCOS 4.02 to a Windows XP network. I want to transfer files between both machines. I would also like to connect my Acorn thru this network to my Broadband Internet. On the RISC PC I have SmbServer 0.07 installed but not set up along with LanMan98. Is it possible to do all these things and can a rather slow person configure the machines to work? John Ealey John Ealey wrote: > Can anyone help me with the simplest step by step simple word instructions ...

windows 2000 and windows xp networking problem with athentication
i am trying to do a peer to peer with a windows 2000 machine and a xp corp machine. i can see the machines in my network places, but when i try to connect to the xp machine it ask for username and password, we have usernames and passwords set up for both machines , they are the same ones we use to log onto our own machines. they both have admin rights. when we put in the username and password and hit ok it just ask for it again and doesnt connect..we are both connected to a router for my cable connection..the firewall allows acces from our ip's..any help..thanks rh_nayan@msn.com ...

Windows 7 and Windows XP network stop working
Hello, well after few days I can't access Windows 7 sharing from a Windows XP machine. Win7 with Win7 always work great. When i restart the Server service it work again for few days and then stop again... It's really boring. Anyone can help? Thank You ...

Widows XP Networking with Windows 98
I have tried everything. My Windows 98 PC can see, wirte to and read files on my Windows XP Home PC. It sees itself and shows both machines in the same workgroup. All the shared folders on both machines show up here. It is connected to a Belkin Wireless Router through a Belkin card with antenna. The XP does not see the 98. Under My Network Places I only see Web Client Network under Entire Network. Not even itself It is connected to the router by a cable. Both machines can access the internet. Both can Ping each other. I have checked that netbios is enabled in TCPIP. I...

XP machine on a Windows 98 network
I have two Win98 computers networked and they share files & printer. However, after adding an XP machine to the network, I am unable to see it (cannot map, doesn't show up in network domain) from the 98 machines. My thought on this is that you cannot add an XP machine onto a 98 network. One idea to resolve this is to run the network wizard on XP, create a network floppy disk and then run it on the other two 98 machines. Will this work? I want to minimize the problems here, so I haven't tried to do this yet. Thanks in advance!! All comments welcomed. Greetings DevTest...

networking Windows XP, 98, and ME problem
I had a network of two windows 98 computers and one ME computer. It worked fine until I tried adding a windows XP Home computer to the network. I used the network wizard in XP and according to the directions ran the XP networking wizard on all of the other computers. Now I can not see any of the computers on the network from any of the machines, but I can ping. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Al ...

Web resources about - Windows XP and Windows 98 Networking... Ugh... - comp.win.networking.misc

Synchronous optical networking - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
SONET and SDH, which are essentially the same, were originally designed to transport circuit mode communications (e.g., DS1 , DS3 ) from a variety ...

Bivid Location-Based Social Networking App Launches on iOS
Following a beta launch of its platform in September 2015, Bivid has officially launched its location-based social networking app on iOS. Bivid ...

D-Link Demonstrates Innovative Networking Solutions at CES
D-Link had two major core networking announcements at CES along with a host of updates for their home automation product line. There are a number ...

How different networking standards are competing to connect the Internet of Things
... network connection, these devices will fail to deliver that value. Device owners can choose between a number of established and emerging networking ...

Schools Participating in Cisco's Networking Academy Program Receive More Than ...
Schools Participating in Cisco's Networking Academy Program Receive More Than ... CNNMoney Cisco Canada (NASDAQ: CSCO) in partnership with ...

Sources: Presidio To Buy $350M Cisco Networking Powerhouse Netech *
Presidio is expected to make its second acquisition in less than a month by purchasing Netech Corp., a fast-growing networking VAR with SMB and ...

Verizon, Cisco Invest in Wireless Networking Startup Kumu
Deutsche Telekom contributed to the $25 million raised by Kumu Networks, whose technology is designed to improve the use of wireless spectrum. ...

How To Combine Networking And Playdates
Business networking doesn't always have to take you away from your kids. Here's how to get them involved. Networking is vital for any career. ...

10 LinkedIn Networking No No's That Will Tarnish Your Brand
When used appropriately, LinkedIn provides an unparalleled opportunity for expanding and bolstering your brand. But it can all go wrong if you ...

Link Trucker is a Tiny Networking Giant
If you’re a networking professional, there are professional tools for verifying that everything’s as it should be on the business end of an Ethernet ...

Resources last updated: 1/27/2016 10:02:47 PM