Both can ping, 1st pc can access 2nd pc shared folder, but 2nd pc can't 1st pc's.?

pc-a & pc-b connected with rj-45 vis a switch. Having same workgroup
"MSHOME". pc-a ping to pc-b "OK". pc-b ping to pc-a "OK". both pcs
TCP/IP is configured for file & printer sharing & client for ms
network. pc-a can access pc-b's shared folders . MY PROBLEM IS "WHY
PC-B CAN'T ACCESS PC-A's SHARED FOLDERS?". Any suggestion?

By the way, both pcs can browse ie from single gateway. Both OS is Xp
sp2. And they can access mutually in the past.

0
k0zaw2005
8/8/2006 4:13:59 AM
comp.win.nt.admin.networking 797 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

Are you talking about regularly shared folders or admin shares like ADMIN$
or C$. If you are trying to access those admin shares and they are running
XP, then you probably have simple file sharing enabled. You can disable it
by doing the following:

1) Open my Computer
2) Click on Tools -> Folder Options
3) Click on the View Tab
4) Scroll to the bottom of the Advanced Settings and uncheck the "Use simple
file sharing (Recommended)" checkbox and click OK.

--
Steve Seguis - MCSE, MVP Windows Server, SCJP
SCRIPTMATION, INC.

"k0zaw2005" <k0zaw2005@gmail.com> wrote in message
> pc-a & pc-b connected with rj-45 vis a switch. Having same workgroup
> "MSHOME". pc-a ping to pc-b "OK". pc-b ping to pc-a "OK". both pcs
> TCP/IP is configured for file & printer sharing & client for ms
> network. pc-a can access pc-b's shared folders . MY PROBLEM IS "WHY
> PC-B CAN'T ACCESS PC-A's SHARED FOLDERS?". Any suggestion?
>
> By the way, both pcs can browse ie from single gateway. Both OS is Xp
> sp2. And they can access mutually in the past.

0
Steve
8/14/2006 8:43:32 PM
Hi all,

My problem looks very similar !
I'm far from being a network expert, by stubborn enough
for struggling with it for the last 6 hours :-S
I unchecked the "Use simple file sharing (Recommended)" checkbox,
no better.

The layout is a bit different: the gateway is a DSL modem-router
(freebox4).

OS= both xp pro sp2 fr

FIREWALL= I use Kerio Personal Firewall 4, but the problem remains
when it is disabled both sides. The Windows firewall service is stopped
both sides.

PC-A is just reinstalled clean.

tcp/ip configuration looks ok since both pc ping each other and access
internet smoothly.

But file sharing doesn't work correctly:
* Browsing the network/workgroup (custom name) in explorer:
   - PC-A sees only itself
   - PC-B sees both by name
   - PC-B has kept network shortcuts to PC-A, from previous install.

* Accessing public shares, in explorer:
   - PC-A connects to PC-B by IP (\\192.168.0.36),
     and can browse, open files ok
   - PC-A cannot retrieve PC-B by name
   - PC-B cannot connect either way

* trying some command line interaction:

   - on PC-A:
Pont r�seau: (Network bridge)
Adresse IP du noeud : [192.168.0.1] ID d'�tendue : []

     Table de noms NetBIOS des ordinateurs distants

        Nom                Type       E�tat
     TIR-NA-NOG     <00>  UNIQUE      Inscrit      PC-A name
     MICHELP        <00>  Groupe      Inscrit      workgroup
     TIR-NA-NOG     <20>  UNIQUE      Inscrit
     MICHELP        <1E>  Groupe      Inscrit
     MICHELP        <1D>  UNIQUE      Inscrit
     ..__MSBROWSE__.<01>  Groupe      Inscrit

C:\WINDOWS>nbtstat -a 192.168.0.36
nbtstat -a 192.168.0.36
     H�te introuvable. (host not found)

  - from PC-B (laptop)
Microsoft Windows XP [version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

c:\App\Text\emacs\emacs-21.3\bin>nbtstat -a 192.168.0.36
nbtstat -a 192.168.0.36

Connexion au r�seau local:
Adresse IP du noeud : [192.168.0.36] ID d'�tendue : []

     Table de noms NetBIOS des ordinateurs distants

        Nom                Type       Etat
     CLADDAGH       <00>  UNIQUE      Inscrit  PC-B name
     MICHELP        <00>  Groupe      Inscrit
     CLADDAGH       <20>  UNIQUE      Inscrit
     MICHELP        <1E>  Groupe      Inscrit
     MICHELP        <1D>  UNIQUE      Inscrit
     ..__MSBROWSE__.<01>  Groupe      Inscrit

WiFi:
Adresse IP du noeud : [0.0.0.0] ID d'�tendue : []

     H�te introuvable.

c:\App\Text\emacs\emacs-21.3\bin>nbtstat -a 192.168.0.1
nbtstat -a 192.168.0.1

Connexion au r�seau local:
Adresse IP du noeud : [192.168.0.36] ID d'�tendue : []

     H�te introuvable.

WiFi:
Adresse IP du noeud : [0.0.0.0] ID d'�tendue : []

     H�te introuvable.

Any help would be much appreciated
TIA

--
Michelle
0

How can I network 3 Windows PC's and 2 Linux PC's?
I have three Winodws running PC's(Win 2K, XP), I downloaded lot of freely available programs (anti-virus and some other installable programs) and stored on one PC. I want to install the same programs on other Windows PC's, How can I access it. All are on the local LAN. I can ping each PC from any of the machine. The same way can I access the files on my Wiondows PC from Linux PC and viceversa?. How can I do that?. Please let me know. If I access my PC where I stored all of my programs from another PC, it will be very quick to install. Also I need to access some files across PC&...

Can't access WORKGROUP PC's on network? Locks up.
My computer all of a sudden can no longer find any other workstations in the WORKGROUP network. The network card drivers seem to be ok and I still have Internet access. When I click on the Network it takes a while for the WORKGROUP icon to come up (20 seconds), and when I click on that I get nothing. What are the steps to fix this? Not sure what caused the problem but I recently installed anti-virus software so I have now uninstalled Windows One Care. Also did try Norton AntiVirus recently and have that uninstalled. Using the latest version of WinXP. ...

Can't access WORKGROUP PC's on network? Locks up.
My computer all of a sudden can no longer find any other workstations in the WORKGROUP network. The network card drivers seem to be ok and I still have Internet access. When I click on the Network it takes a while for the WORKGROUP icon to come up (20 seconds), and when I click on that I get nothing. What are the steps to fix this? Not sure what caused the problem but I recently installed anti-virus software so I have now uninstalled Windows One Care. Also did try Norton AntiVirus recently and have that uninstalled. Using the latest version of WinXP. ...

can ruby script detect 'pc lock', 'pc unlock' instances ?
Hello i need urgent help How we can manage/detect instances like pc lock or pc unlock via ruby script e.g 1). If i start my pc then script will automatically start until i log-off. 2). If i lock my pc script will start counting time until i unlock pc. 3). then it will shows whole days lock-unlock time how will i manage this via only rubyscript ????????? -- Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/. On Tue, Dec 28, 2010 at 3:11 PM, Vijay Ramane <vijay.ramane@rediffmail.com> wrote: > Hello i need urgent help > How we can manage/detect instances like pc lock or pc ...

PC freezes on start up, can't restore, can't install
Help! Just to clarify what we have so far; We have a eMachines P4 2.2ghz 80gb hd 256mb ram 64mb graps. Running xp sp1 we have a multimedia keyboard On start up the pc had been flashing up a "hotkey keyboard" icon in the menu bar at the bottom of the desktop, it went away almost immediately and carried on booting up, recently it was staying there and freezing the pc, we unplugged the speakers and the games pad and it seemed to do the job, it worked ok for about 6 weeks, then the icon stayed on...freezing the pc and making the monitor black out! We could manually switch the pc off by ...

I have 6 PC's with Linux installed and Cable modem with LAN connection, How can I hookup all these PC's to Internet??
I have 6 PC's with various Linux flavors and Cable modem connection from Comcast (LAN connection provided on Cable Modem), also 8-port Linksys switch, How can I hook all these PC's to Network, I have half dozen extra NIC cards. If I install one extra NIC card in one of the Linux PC (two NIC cards in one PC) and connect one NIC card to cable modem and other NIC card to 8-port switch will it work (do I have to do any configuration)?. Or if I connect cable modem directly to one port on the switch and other 6 PC's to switch on other 6 slots, will that work?. Thanks. GS wrote: > I...

Can't network a wired PC to a Wireless PC using LinkSys WRT54G
I'm trying to set up a peer-to-peer network on two WinXP boxes using a LinkSys WRT54G WAP/Router. The two computers have been accessing the internet without problem for months; TCP/IP is working great and both clients can ping each other. But after configuring both clients to the same Workgroup and turning on file sharing, neither can see each other when trying to browse the local network. I've been unable to find any reference to SMB in the LinkSys documentation or on their website, so I don't know if this router will handle SMB packets. Perhaps that is the problem? (...

PC can ping website, can't get there by http
not sure if this is the best group for this, but here goes. I spent 5 hours yesterday trying to narrow this down, and hope someone can help. small office, 12 PCs, all Windows XP. yesterday they had a DLink router. today they put into place a Watchguard Firebox X20E. the configuration seems to be fine. However, only 3 of the 12 PCs can consistently browse the web. all can do SMTP/POP, and all can get to some web sites. this is an office in Montreal with a DSL connection with Bell Canada. static IP address. all the clients are DHCP, all are getting addresses. Windows firewal...

Every time my Linux PC gets new Ip address, I can't access remotely, how can I access?/
Everytime when I boot (sometimes kids reboots) it gets new IP address, I did port mapping in the Router (any ssh requests to this Ip addr), when it changed Ip address, I can't access rempotely, any solution. Also I added its names as "dhcppc3" in /etc/hosts files (ip address machine-name), also when I do "hostname" it shows different name, how can I name this machine as "tiger" so always I want the machine name as tiger (if I do "ping tiger" with LAN shoud work), how can I do that?. Thanks. On 12 Oct 2005 17:08:57 -0700, GS <globalswamy@hotmail...

My pc can't boot. what's wrong?
My p166 pc can't boot. No matter I boot from cdrom, floppy or hard disk, I always get " Invalid sytem disk, Replace the disk, and pres any key." Does this mean the mother board is bad? Is there any way to repair it without replacing the mother board? Thank you for your help. On Sun, 27 Jul 2003 14:50:04 -0400, hyh wrote: > My p166 pc can't boot. > No matter I boot from cdrom, floppy or hard disk, > I always get " Invalid sytem disk, Replace the > disk, and pres any key." > Does this mean the mother board is bad? > Is there any way to repair it w...

Can't afford upgrading my PC... need a console-style PC!
Up until a couple of years ago, I spent alot of time (and money!) on PC games. Anyways, I hopped off the expensive PC upgrade treadmill and into console land. Got an xbox and cube. Enjoyed them for a long while. Have to say ... this is one of the great things about consoles. It's simple - you buy one piece of hardware every 4 years or so and the game designers just suck it up and make game engines that better advantage of the hardware, etc. (Granted, console games in the first year of the console's life run at 60 fps but by years 3-4 they accept 20-30 fps in order to up the eye candy....

Can't access network PC under 4NT
When I enter cd\\pc1 at Total Commanders command line, it jumps to one of my other PCs. However, if I do a cd\\pc1 or cd\\\pc1 under 4NT 5.0, Windows XP Home SP2, the system gives me an error message. I also tried a simple \\pc1 or \\\pc1 at the 4NT prompt, doesn't work either. What could be the problem? Thanks <*** Michael Lang ***> "Michael Lang" <dwissl@yahoo.de> wrote in message news:4297d171$0$14733$9b4e6d93@newsread4.arcor-online.net... > When I enter cd\\pc1 at Total Commanders command line, it jumps to > one of my other PCs. H...

Windows can't see Apache on Linux machine when in one location, can in other. Linux PC can see server in both locations.
We have two offices A and B, connected by kilostream. We have a Linux box in location A, running Mandrake 9 and the Apache web server. We have some Linux boxes in location B, and loads of Windows machines. The problem is that whenever a Windows box is in location B, it can't see any pages served up by the Linux based web server in A. It can ping it, but if you telnet to port 80 from the Windows machine you get nothing back. If I pick up the Windows machine, and transport it to location A, plug it into the network, all works OK. At the moment I'm using SQUID on a Linux box in locat...

If Walmart Can't Sell A Linux PC ::: Who Can?
Well it appears that the Walmart Linux experiment has failed which should come as no surprise because other companies have tried to sell Linux based desktop PCs in the past and they have failed as well. Currently there is only one, very outdated, system for sale on the walmart.com site and that will more than likely disappear as soon as they can unload any existing stock they might be stuck with. Trying to sell a Linux based desktop PC is like trying to sell ice to an Eskimo. Last summer I worked part time at a very large computer discount store and we were told, as a sales force, to be cert...

Web resources about - Both can ping, 1st pc can access 2nd pc shared folder, but 2nd pc can't 1st pc's.? - comp.win.nt.admin.networking