Only allow a printer server on network printer

How can I set up a network printer to only use a printer server from
WinNT or Win2000 servers if the printer is network enabled (say an HP
printer with a JetDirect card and its own IP)? Is it configurable
through the JetAdmin utility? Do I have to setup a filtering firewall
perhaps to the printer?

TIA

Patrick

0
Patrick
2/20/2004 9:18:42 PM
comp.win.nt.admin.networking 797 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

Windows server 2003 client to a HP OfficeJet g85x printer through a networked HP Jetdirect 170x printer server.
I had tried and failed to connect a Windows server 2003 client to a HP OfficeJet g85x printer through a networked HP Jetdirect 170x printer server. I had tried HP Officejet g85x driver for Windows XP and Windows 2000. Both drivers refuse to run. If anyone have successfully make the connection, please help!!! Ching-yeh Tzseng tzseng wrote: > I had tried and failed to connect a Windows server 2003 client to a HP > OfficeJet g85x printer through a networked HP Jetdirect 170x printer > server. I had tried HP Officejet g85x driver for Windows XP and > Windows 2000. Both driver...

Printer trays.....network printers
Still having a problem here... If I define a Xerox printer with two Ldev nos, with data_intray=1 on one ldev, and data_intray = 4 on the other, I can send interleaved spool files to them and it works beautifully. If I remove data_intray = 4, and try to use setup_file=x.hpenv where x contains <Esc>&l4H (PCL for use lower tray), nothing works, it doesnt even rotate to landscape (understand that part). If I embed the esc sequence in the data at start it works, but thats not a viable solution. In fact if I send the tray value anything from 2 to 5, it uses bottom tray. I want t...

Networking a non-network printer
If I have a USB printer connected to a machine on my local network, can I print to it from another machine? I'm thinking that if they're both OSX, I could in principle ftp a file to the machine with the printer, telnet in to that machine, and use lpr. So in theory it must be possible. Can it be done via GUI functionality? And more importantly in my case, can it be done somehow if the target machine is OS9? In article <BLOCKSPAMfishfry-EF2D34.20140009012004@netnews.comcast.net>, fishfry <BLOCKSPAMfishfry@your-mailbox.com> wrote: > If I have a USB printer conne...

Computer won't allow Printer To Be Added... and dies when HP Network Printer Wizard Runss..
One of my WIN98SE networked printers won't add printers. Two other computers on the network nicely added the new printer with no problems. There is a DirectJet 500 printer server on the network which is functional For the troublesome computer, the Printer applet in Control Pannel and in My Computer just won't run. These run on the other networked computers. When I run HP Network Printer Setup Wizard, it dies or claims the printer isn't networked, on this particular computer. The wizard runs fine on the other networked computers. The network protocols active are TCP/IP and IPX. I have downloaded and reinstalled the latest version of the Wizard. -- ................................ Keepsake gift for young girls. Unique and personal one-of-a-kind. Builds strong minds 12 ways. Guaranteed satisfaction - courteous money back - keep bonus gifts http://www.alicebook.com ...

Adding a network printer on Win 98 and Win Me
How does one add a network printer on Windows 98 and Me? WNetAddConnection2 seems to pass,but the UI does not update to show the printer is installed. On NT systems,AddPrinterConnection method works fine. Is there a similar method that will work on 98/Me? Thanks in advance. ...

Adding a network printer on Win 98 and Win Me.
How does one add a network printer on Windows 98 and Me? WNetAddConnection2 seems to pass,but the UI does not update to show the printer is installed. On NT systems,AddPrinterConnection method works fine. Is there a similar method that will work on 98/Me? Thanks in advance. "ARaman" <appusaves@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:e25a84b5.0310221923.1d959a70@posting.google.com... > How does one add a network printer on Windows 98 and Me? > WNetAddConnection2 seems to pass,but the UI does not update to show > the printer is installed. On NT systems,AddPrinterConnection me...

Network hp7960 printer Win xp to Win ME?
Printer installs ok on the win xp PC. When trying to network with the laptop running ME, the laptop sees the printer on the networked PC, and thens asks for the cd disk. However, this is where the problem begins. When following the install steps, it cannot find certain files on the install disk, nor will it use the installed files from the xp computer. I've installed this printer on an xp pc and an xp laptop. It just will not install as a networked printer between the laptop running win ME and the PC running xp. I did find step by step procedures on the following web site, but even t...

Re: Printer trays.....network printers
have you looked into requesting a specific paper type instead of specifying trays? I suggest this because it's actually a much more sensible method of paper selection, which may well have superceded tray selection (other sequences have been dropped, too, but I can't recall which ones offhand). I think that's a PCL6 thing that appeared first on HP5SIMX or so, at which point tray specs were also supported. When we had a new one of those (8 or so years ago?) HP Boise denied the existence of PCL beyond 5 "we don't do it that way any more", but has later acknowle...

change default printer to network printer
Guys, I need help . I am using vb5. I am try to print one report @ two different location. 1) is default and 2) is on network. I am trying to set network printer as default for second time. The program was written in win98 and it is working good. but we are try to update all the computers for XP. Thanks for help Bharat Parekh *** Sent via Developersdex http://www.developersdex.com *** You can grab my printer swtich code here: http://www.members.shaw.ca/AlbertKallal/msaccess/msaccess.html -- Albert D. Kallal (Access MVP) Edmonton, Alberta Canada pleaseNOOSpamKallal@msn.com htt...

I have a Canon PIXMA ip4000 printer attached via USB to my PC. My Mac can see it and add it but it cannot load the right driver. I installed the printer on the Mac as well then re connected it to the PC hoping that after the Mac would be able to locate or display the proper Canon driver. Any idea how to get the correct driver assigned to this shared printer? Thanks, Om Mac- G4/450 w 512MB RAM 10.3.8, Canon driver 2.6.0 PC- Win2K Pro- printer shared Both machines network flawlessly together ...

Re: Printer trays.....network printers #2
Thanks to all who responded..... I eventually did some tests trying to write to this printer with the tray selection PENV file via fcopy, and got errors back re the PENV file. I wish there had been a utility for writing these files somewhere, would make life a lot easier. Notes just say driver removes leading and trailing blanks, sends whatever is left to printer. But it errors if the rec len is not 512W, file type not PENV, if data is followed by a mix of blanks and nulls......very unfriendly. I must have missed that lesson at school. Anyway, in the end I got a PENV file that did no...

Re: Printer trays.....network printers #4
To _know_ how to address printerX's trays, you have to have a manual for printerX, 'read it like a love letter' (thanks Alfredo), and experiment. You might get lucky with a similar printer (and you can bet that other vendors bent over backward trying to handle whatever might come down the 'hp PCL' pipe), but luck goes both ways. The days of early laserjets were an exciting time, with a new model on the scene every other month. So what could we expect re consistency? Maybe a little more than we got, but mostly in the form of available and accurate documentation -...

Re: Printer trays.....network printers #5
Thanks for your reply, but actually, because we have to load special paper (letterhead or prepunch) BACKWARD to make normally-sequenced (read un-windows-driver-cheated) page 2 end up on the reverse side of the paper (because the printer itself prints duplex backward in order to meet throughput specs), configing the tray does no good at all - it just lets a Windows job screw up by assuming it's supposed to do its cheat. (confusing, isn't it?!) The way we really do it is: 1) load the paper backward. from the operator's point of view, clearly wrong. 2) from the e3k f...

nt network printer shares
I have an NT server that shares several printers. NT clients connect to these printers but I have no idea which client is connecting to which printer. I wish to generate a list of clients and which printer share they are connecting to. There is a key HKEY_CURRENT_MACHINE\Printers\Connections\ that lists all printer shares but this key is not available to a remote machine. I had a way to do it by using Windows Script Host and the RegRead method but this is not an option since it is possible that a client may not have NT Option Pack installed. Is there any other way to read from ...

Can a printer+airport be a "network" printer?
Situation: We have an Airport Extreme, and plugged into it is an HP LaserJet 1300 printer. When we first got it, we had two Mac Powerbooks, and I set up the printer from PB1. With only a bit of twiddling, we got PB2 to use it. So far, so good. But then, one day, it refused to work from PB2. Huh? With a bit more experimenting, we discovered that when we opened the lid of PB1, PB2 could use the printer. When we closed PB1's lid, PB2 lost contact with the printer. Recently, I upgraded a nearby linux box to the latest rev (of knoppix, FWIW). When I started up the CUPS stuff, it discover...

Network Printer Config For Novell 6.5 network
How to config HP LaserJet 2600n Printer on Novell 6.5 Network? ...

Select your network printer by its location instead of its network name
Printer Connect Pro (PCPro) displays a list of nearby printers when you select your site, building, and floor. As you highlight each printer, PCPro displays a more complete description of the printer's location and properties. Click the Select button and PCPro connects you to the highlighted printer. It's much simpler than Microsoft's Add Printer Wizard. You can view a Flash animation that illustrates the software in less than two minutes at http://www.printerconnectpro.com. ...

Add network printer to Airport Express-based network
I'd like to see if the following would work before re-arranging everything on my home network. My home network is quite simple: DSL is connected to an Airport Express (cleverly named "Downstairs") using an ethernet cable. Upstairs is another Airport Express (called "Upstairs") set to the same channel/network name. The ethernet port on "Upstairs" is not used. My wife and I each use a PowerBook with an an Airport card to connect. Can I attach a network-ready printer to the available ethernet port on "Upstairs" and have the printer work? The printer i...

Network Printer
Hello, On SCO UNIX 5.05, i have network Printers (TCP/IP), and the lpstat printername command hang. Can you help me please. Thanks. Christophe BADET. Christophe BADET wrote: > Hello, > > On SCO UNIX 5.05, i have network Printers (TCP/IP), > and the lpstat printername command hang. > > Can you help me please. > Thanks. > Christophe BADET. <Follow-up posted to comp.unix.sco.misc as well...> Hangs, as in never returns? Is the printer powered on, online, and connected to the network? Are you able to ping the printer's IP address? I suppose if you had a ...

network printer
Hi I know virtually nothing about mac computers - I have previously only used pc's with windows. But now I (actually my wife) has a Mac at home which I am trying to connect to my home network. The mac works on the network - there is a connection to the router and internet, which works fine. But I can't seem to install the network printer. Both my windows xp machines can use the printer over the network, but I can't work out how to configure the mac. The best it does is print "gibberish". Does anyone have any hints on how to configure a mac to use a net...

network printer
Hi, I am facing problem to share a network printer which is configured on a Windows machine, is not shareable with Fadora core 5 machine ? I am configuring is, but this is not connected with the network printer.... it is showing printer on fadora bottm menu bar and all queue which is given in showing in this printer... Pls provide me solution on this topic.. thanks chetram saini In article <1178694134.417690.288050@q75g2000hsh.googlegroups.com>, chet ram saini <chetanyaduvanshi@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi, > > I am facing problem to share a network printer which is configured > on a Windows machine, is not shareable with Fadora core 5 machine ? I > am configuring is, but this is not connected with the network > printer.... it is showing printer on fadora bottm menu bar and all > queue which is given in showing in this printer... > > > Pls provide me solution on this topic.. > > > thanks > > chetram saini Thanks for your bug report. First, I think you mean Fedora 5. Second, it may be helpful to post your bug report in the proper forum, which would be a linux discussion forum, not a Mac forum. Third, if you provided it in a more clear format, that would help. There are so many things that could be set up wrong that would cause this, that you have to provide a lot of information about your setup. Environment: Printer make and model Windows version (3.1, 95, 98, ME, NT3, NT4, ...

Network Printers
Hope someone can help with this annoying problem I have an Intel iMac with 2 usb printers an Epson R265 and a Canon i450. Printing is fine to both printers. The iMac is connected to a wireless router and we also have a wireless enabled Laptop running XP which is seen by the iMac and and the iMac sees the laptop. Files can be shared back and fore OK. The laptop has both printers installed as network printers. The laptop can print to the Epson without problems but not to the Canon. Both printers are set up to share on the iMac but on the Laptop I get the access is denied error message when tryin...

Network printer ...
I have stand alone (not connected to pc) pritner on our network (microsoft network), which has an IP address assigned to it. I need a way to identify printers that are broadcasting their existence over the network and my application should be able to print on to this printer. Any suggestions and guidelines would be appreciated. Thanks Ganesh ...

Networked printers
I have two identical HP5400 printers, I want to run them on the same network so that I can double my output. At the moment the installation software seemed to pick up both, but the output always goes to my original printer, the new printer appears as a choice in Word, but the output always goes to the original printer, any ideas please ? TIA Red Red_Kite wrote: > I have two identical HP5400 printers, I want to run them on the same > network so that I can double my output. At the moment the installation > software seemed to pick up both, but the output always goes to my > o...

Web resources about - Only allow a printer server on network printer - comp.win.nt.admin.networking

3D Printer - Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Recycled printer toner to be used in new road surface in Canberra
Recycled printer toner powder will be trialled in a new asphalt mix designed to reduce the ACT's carbon footprint.

9to5Toys Lunch Break: Philips Hue Starter Kit $120, LifeProof FRĒ iPhone 6 Case $30, Brother AirPrint ...
... FRĒ Waterproof iPhone 6 Case in multiple colors: $30 shipped (Reg. $72) Get ready to file your taxes w/ this Brother AirPrint Laser Printer ...

You can trick a smartphone fingerprint scanner in just 15 minutes with a printer
It's possible to trick a smartphone's fingerprint scanner with just 15 minutes, a regular inkjet printer, and some special ink. Researchers ...

3D printer helps Chihuahua without front legs get around
Leo, a Chihuahua from California, may have been born without his front legs; but thanks to a prosthetic, that isn't slowing him down