Windows Server 2003 as file server slow?

I have setup the following:
Server - Windows 2003 server standard edition, 2GB Ram, 1000BT network card
PC - Windows XP, 1GB Ram, 1000BT network card
Notebook - WIndows XP, 768MB Ram, 100BT network (build in)

All three are connected to an 8 port gigabit switch which is connected to a
Broadband Router/FW device which connects to an ADSL modem to connect
to the internet.

* All three computers have setup network shares.
* user on the Server initiates file copy to PC shared drive: very fast
* user on the Server initiates file copy from PC shared drive: very fast
* user on PC initiates file copy to server shared drive: slow
* user on PC initiates file copy from server shared drive: very fast
* user on notebook initiates file copy to server shared drive: slow
* user on notebook initiates file copy from server shared drive: very fast
* user on notebook initiates file copy to PC shared drive: very fast
* user on notebook initiates file copy from PC shared drive: very fast

During the tests, I observed the CPU usage of all three machines to be
rather low (less than 20) and network usage also very low.

It seems that when copying files to the server shared drive, it is slow but
I can't figure out why?  It is REALLY slow when there are a lot of small
files
(e.g. 300 files of  around 100kb).  The same set of files takes less than a
minute
to copy from the server can take 20 times longer to copy back to the server.
Why so slow in this direction?  I tried turning off anti-virus software on
the server
but still the speed is slow..... Copy a few large files (like 50MB) is not
so bad but
still not lightning fast...  Browsing the Server shared drive directory is
also quite
slow.

0
Singapore
11/1/2003 12:07:12 PM
comp.win.nt.admin.networking 797 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

Migrating applications from Windows NT/SQL Server 7.0 to Windows 2003/SQL Server 2000
Hi, I've got a bunch of VB6 applications which currently run on a Windows NT/SQL Server 7.0 server config with client machines on Windows 2000. I'm planning to replace the servers with Windows 2003/SQL Server 2000 configs, keeping client machines on Windows 2000 for now. So generally speaking, are there many programming or configuration changes I'll need to make to the applications so that they'll run on the new configuration? What issues can I expect etc? I'm just after general issues any of you may have experienced by migrating from NT to 2003, and also from SQL Server...

Windows 2003 server enterprise Vs Pervasive.Sql v9 for Nt server
If I use a server with 8 Gb of Ram with Os win 2003 server enterprise. Does it BeakThrough the windows limitation of 2 Gb ram for a users process for the cache memory. No. However, if you disable the L2 cache, kick the L1 cache up to a high value (such as 800MB), and enable the System Cache, you'll have better PSQL performance, since the OS will cache file data in the other 6GB of memory. Goldstar Software Inc. Pervasive-based Products, Training & Services Bill Bach BillBach@goldstarsoftware.com http://www.goldstarsoftware.com *** Chicago: Pervasive Service & Support Cla...

slow printing over network
Hello all. After installing a new Windows 2003 Terminal Server w/MS Office 2003, we've noticed slow printing across the company network. The error message MS Word 2003 gives is: Microsoft Office Word: The printer has not yet responded, but the Microsoft Office program may be able to proceed without printer information. Do you want to continue to wait for the printer? I have also noticed under "Printer and Faxes" the status of several LAN printers change to: Status: Printer not found on server, unable to connect. There are approx 30 network printers in...

SFTP Server (for Windows Server 2003) that can map "network drives"
Hello, I am looking for a SFTP Server for Windows Server 2003, which has the capability to map network drives (which have been mapped vie net use to the Windows Server) further to the SFTP client. Many thanks and kind regards, Jens gte477k <jens.schroeder@gmx.ch> writes: > Hello, > > I am looking for a SFTP Server for Windows Server 2003, which has the > capability to map network drives (which have been mapped vie net use > to the Windows Server) further to the SFTP client. > > Many thanks and kind regards, Van Dyke VShell server I believe can do this. A trial...

Server to server = Server client to server?
For a server to server connection, is the connecting server considered as a client of the accepting server or is it not? I have the following classes: Connection <--- base class of the following two ClientConnection <--- client ServerConnection <--- server ServerClientConnection <--- server as a client of another server. But then I came across something that states "A client is anything connected to a server that is not another client". Comments please... Just remember! Server ( programm ) is always listening a connections!!! - wrote: &g...

ActivePerl Migration Win 2003 Server to Win 2008 Server
Hello, I hope this post is not OT in c.l.p.m. I have got a couple of medium-sized (1000+ lines of code) of Perl programs (64 bits) running on Windows Server 2003, the perl version is: C:\>perl -v This is perl, v5.10.1 built for MSWin32-x64-multi-thread (with 2 registered patches, see perl -V for more detail) Binary build 1007 [291969] provided by ActiveState http://www.ActiveState.com Built Jan 27 2010 14:12:21 I am using ADODB to connect to MSAccess databases, I read ActiveDirectory entries and I use StorageCentral to setup Storage quotas for 1000+ directories. Now I...

Windows 2003 server and XP Pro slow network browsing
Hi, I have two Windows XP Pro system networked through a Netgear FVS318 router to a Windows 2003 Server. The XP Pro systems see and browse each other ok but can take up to 5 mins to open a shared drive or directory on the 2003 Server. I have reloaded the Server several times and reloaded one XP Pro system. The network is peer to peer and it still happens when in a domain setup. I think this started after doing a clean upgrade from RC2 of 2003 Server. I never had a DNS server setup when running RC2 Server but setup DNS hopping it may fix my problem. I hope someone may have had this ...

Windows server 2003 client to a HP OfficeJet g85x printer through a networked HP Jetdirect 170x printer server.
I had tried and failed to connect a Windows server 2003 client to a HP OfficeJet g85x printer through a networked HP Jetdirect 170x printer server. I had tried HP Officejet g85x driver for Windows XP and Windows 2000. Both drivers refuse to run. If anyone have successfully make the connection, please help!!! Ching-yeh Tzseng tzseng wrote: > I had tried and failed to connect a Windows server 2003 client to a HP > OfficeJet g85x printer through a networked HP Jetdirect 170x printer > server. I had tried HP Officejet g85x driver for Windows XP and > Windows 2000. Both driver...

NT PDC file server -> Samba PDC file server
I've read the HOWTO and seen a zillion articles about moving from an NT PDC to a Samba PDC. Am having trouble tying this in to making the new Samba PDC act in the same file server capacity as the NT machine did. i.e., looking for info on copying the directories & files while preserving user & group permissions. Can someone point me to a guide(s) on this whole process? Also, in what order does this occur? As I understand it once the Samba machine becomes the PDC, you must immediately shut down the NT PDC. So how do you copy the shares & directories over with corre...

application server on windows server 2003
Hi I am developing a client server application a small component of which should open a terminal window with an application (say AutoCAD) running on it on the server. All clients should be able to view this application on their respective machines. Can anyone suggest if I can use any existing services for this ? For opening a terminal window in Server 2003 I found that I can use Remote Desktop Connection. However I think I need something like a VNC server but am not sure what or how to use. Can anyone suggest as to how I can proceed for this ? Any help/hints/suggestions would be appre...

filemaker server on windows 2003 server
Hello, I just upgraded my server from a NT4 server to a windows 2003 server with new hardware (currently running 2 times Xeon 2.8, 2 GB RAM, 4 X 10K rpm 74GB in raid 5 configuration). Everything works fine (no speed problems, using 1Gbit switch) only filemaker is extremely slow. I configured filemaker server 5.5 to use 40MB (maximum). If the clients want to open a lot of files simutaniously (I'm using a lot of portals) or want to print huge lists, filemaker is extremely slowly. I checked the cpu usage and network usage, but it peaks at 0.7 %, so I don't think the cpu is the pro...

application server on windows server 2003
Hi I am developing a client server application a small component of which should open a terminal window with an application (say AutoCAD) running on it on the server. All clients should be able to view this application on their respective machines. Can anyone suggest if I can use any existing services for this ? For opening a terminal window in Server 2003 I found that I can use Remote Desktop Connection. However I think I need something like a VNC server but am not sure what or how to use. Can anyone suggest as to how I can proceed for this ? Any help/hints/suggestions would be appre...

mail server on windows server 2003
Hi Gurus I would like to run a mail server on 2003 that does the following: 1. collect emails from several other mail servers (e.g. mail.myisp.com) using the pop3 method. 2. allow people connected to the servers domain/network to - send emails from their outlook program - receive emails in their outlook program - send emails locally (without going through our ISP) to other people who are connected to the server (e.g. from Jo to Mike who are both connected to the server domain). My questions are: 1. can MS Windows Server do this, OR 2. would you recommend a program f...

Multiples Instance of SQL server 2000/SQL server 7.0 on Windows server 2003
Hi, Is it possible to install on a Windows server 2003, SQL SERVER 2000 in the folowing configuration : SQL server 7.0 as a default Instance and SQL server 2000 as a named instance. Thanks for your answer. riless (g.carali@voila.fr) writes: > Is it possible to install on a Windows server 2003, > SQL SERVER 2000 in the folowing configuration : > > SQL server 7.0 as a default Instance > > and > > SQL server 2000 as a named instance. If SQL 7 can be installed on Win2003, yes. But I would not really expect SQL 7 to be welcome on Windows 2003, although I don't...

Web resources about - Windows Server 2003 as file server slow? - comp.win.nt.admin.networking

The Windows Blog

Microsoft’s Windows Phone vice president Joe Belfiore explains why he uses an iPhone …
... is not using the device you might expect them to . Latest casualty of the telltale tag is Joe Belfiore , the Microsoft VP who fronts the Windows ...

Windows 10 Mobile Has A Cellular Data Eating Bug
Although Windows 10 has got off to a great start by pretty much any metric, Microsoft’s mobile version of Windows 10 has had a pretty bumpy road. ...

Cardinals' window of opportunity won't be open long
When the Cardinals finally move past the sting of Saturday's 49-15 loss at Carolina, they will realize how much they achieved this season.

VAIO unveils beautiful business-focused 'Z' and 'S' Windows 10 laptops
... as many people loved Sony's laptops. Sure, they were largely expensive, but they were also arguably the closest thing to Apple that Windows ...

Microsoft’s Windows Phone VP caught tweeting from an iPhone
... Joe Belfiore. Currently the company's Corporate VP of Operating Systems, Belfiore is primarily known for heading up the company's Windows Phone ...

The man in charge of Windows design explains why it doesn't matter that he uses an iPhone
... His official title is "Corporate Vice President, Operating Systems Group" which, broadly, means he is in charge of the design of Windows, specifically ...

Windows 10: six-month report card
Now that Windows 10 is half a year old, we take another look at its privacy, security, ease of use, Microsoft Edge, and more.