Printer Driver: Kernel Mode or User Mode

Dear All,
I wanna write a printer driver, Which do you suggest me: writing it in
kernel mode or in user mode i am new to kernel mode programing and i
have to write the driver so fast
               Thanks

0
Majid
2/8/2005 10:32:01 AM
comp.win.nt.kernel-mode 2877 articles. 0 followers. mat.hieu (4) is leader. Post Follow

    User mode, unless you need NT4 support.

--
Maxim Shatskih, Windows DDK MVP
StorageCraft Corporation

"Majid" <majid.jahanshahi@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Dear All,
> I wanna write a printer driver, Which do you suggest me: writing it in
> kernel mode or in user mode i am new to kernel mode programing and i
> have to write the driver so fast
>                Thanks

0
Maxim

User Mode and Kernel Mode
Hi, Its a old question, and still haunts me some times. How does the OS change from the user mode to kernel mode. As per some or the books we have the Assembly call "trap" which actually changes the OS mode to kernel mode. So we have the System call which calls the trap somewhere down the line to change the mode. The Kernel Address space and the User Address space are two different area and they information is transferred though proc structures. In the same line what are executions modes which are hardware related. Intel hardware have more than 3 executions mo...

Kernel mode or user mode
After the shared memory (memory mapped file) has been created and a pointer (void* m_Ptr) associated to the view of the shared memory (MapViewOfFIle). Is reading or writing the pointer (m_Ptr) a kernel mode or a user mode operation? Thanks Amit "amit gulati" <amitgulati@cox.net> wrote in message news:c1qgil$ahg$1@news2.news.larc.nasa.gov... > After the shared memory (memory mapped file) has been created and a > pointer (void* m_Ptr) associated to the view of the shared memory > (MapViewOfFIle). > > Is reading or writing the pointer (m_Ptr...

How to call user mode DLL from kernel mode driver ?
Dear all, I have seen a slide from David Probert PhD. of Microsoft that shows there is a path for WIN32K.SYS to call user32.dll. I wonder how this is done? Does anyone have idea? Alan Tsai By KiUserCallbackDispatcher I think. Anyway this is not a general-purpose stuff, for instance, not all kernel code is assumed to call this. Its purpose is to deliver WNDPROC calls to UI code. -- Maxim Shatskih, Windows DDK MVP StorageCraft Corporation maxim@storagecraft.com http://www.storagecraft.com "alan tsai" <tsai_anan@yahoo.com> wrote in message news...

Call user-mode callback routine from kernel-mode driver
I am a novice driver developer, so please bear with me. I am using win2k. I need to pass my driver a function to be excetuted from within the driver. I have already accomplished passing the "function pointer" using DeviceIoControl. So all i have to do now is take what is in the SystemBuffer and have it excecute from "inside" the driver. This is one of my requirements, therefore i can not use any "event waiting" mechanism to accomplish this task. In other words i need the driver to take in the routine and excecute it from with in the driver. Any ideas...

Unable to stop a user mode service communicating with a driver in kernel mode
Hello! I am facing a perplexing problem in my driver development. I have been working on a TDI Filter driver to filter out TCP packets. The architecture I used is to have the driver capture the packets and then send them to a service that checks if the "TDI_CONNECT" and "TDI_SEND" packets are valid. If they are, it returns an OK and the driver allows them to pass. If not then the driver blocks them. The service checks the IP, port number and if it is an HTTP packet the URL. ------------------------------------------------------ DRIVER ---------------...

About the put_user() and user mode and kernel mode
Hi, I am fairly a newbie in learning Linux. I just observed the following comment while reading the Linux kernel module programming guide : /* * The buffer is in the user data segment, not the kernel * segment so "*" assignment won't work. We have to use * put_user which copies data from the kernel data segment to * the user data segment. */ put_user(*(msg_Ptr++), buffer++); My question : Why can't I use the assignment operator in this case ? Also are buffer and msg_Ptr virtual addresses ? Upon tracing what put_user(), it seems that all it does is do some...

Kernel Mode vs User Mode
I was wondering if someone could explain to me the difference between Kernel Mode and User Mode as it pertains to the ia32 architecture modes. I was under the impression that the current standard had three modes: protected mode, real-address mode, and system management mode. Is there any correspondence between the different linux modes and the ia32 modes or does linux create two segments within protected mode? Thank you for anyone that can help. Paul On Mon, 05 Apr 2004 14:35:58 -0700, Paul wrote: > I was wondering if someone could explain to me the difference between >...

Finding Job Info for a Kernel mode printer driver under Win NT 4
We are writing a plugin for a kernel mode MS (Adobe) PostScript driver for windows NT. In kernel mode the normal win32 functions to EnumPrinters and EnumJobs are not allowed. Is there some other way to get this info in kernel mode? We need to get JobID, The Submission string, Date, user, machine name, Document, and number of pages. d02@whidbey.coom wrote: > We are writing a plugin for a kernel mode MS (Adobe) PostScript > driver for windows NT. In kernel mode the normal win32 functions > to EnumPrinters and EnumJobs are not allowed. Is there some > other way to ...

sunrpc
Hello Does anybody know if sunrpc module on Linux is available only in Kernel mode? Sandeep ...

user mode vs kernel mode
what is the difference between the process running in user mode and kernel mode ???/ In <7a8b6bfc-84da-4083-a4a1-55bfff95737b@q30g2000prq.googlegroups.com> asit <lipun4u@gmail.com> writes: > what is the difference between the process running in user mode and > kernel mode ???/ Generally, it's a difference in privilege levels. A user-mode process can only access its own memory and can only access external resources (files, etc) that its owner has permission to access. A kernel-mode process can access any memory and any file. For more information, have a look at http:...

Kernel Mode vs. User Mode
I was wondering if someone could explain to me the difference between Kernel Mode and User Mode as it pertains to the ia32 architecture modes. I was under the impression that the current standard had three modes: protected mode, real-address mode, and system management mode. Is there any correspondence between the different linux modes and the ia32 modes or does linux create two segments within protected mode? Thank you for anyone that can help. Paul Paul wrote: > I was wondering if someone could explain to me the difference between > Kernel Mode and User Mode as it pertains to th...

Kernel-mode to user mode access
Hello I know this question is always being asked, but... I am having some problems w/ accessing user mode memory from kernel-mode. I tried several ways... Method 1 (( User Mode App )) structure MYSTRUCTURE { blah, blah, blah... } mystr; // sends &mystr to driver, this works (( Kernel Mode App )) // gets &mystr from UMP, this works // copies received &mystr to MYSTRUCTURE * mystr; mystr->member = 0; // whole thing BS to Death w/ K_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED (or something like this...) Second method... Using a routine I found posted ...

Transfering Data from Kernel mode to User mode
Good afternoon, I did some reading in this group and looked up some examples on DDK (PCIDRV) regarding transfering data asynchronously to the user mode. I was messing around with NDIS packet sniffing at the kernel level a few weeks ago but now I'm interested in moving that packet up a notch to the user level. As far as I can tell I am looking at a few ways to implement this a) repeated Ioctl calls from the user mode. Each Ioctl will return a packet. This seems like a horrible way to implement this. b) ISR and DPC. each packet triggers an ISR and pends a DPC which wil be s...

Switching to user mode from kernel mode while booting
Hi all, Where can I find the code located, which will switch the kernel back to user mode while booting, I mean, in the case of an x86 during initial bootup, the CS register is assigned the value 0x10 so that it becomes an index to the GDT entry holding the kernel mode code descriptor. Similarly the data segment registers holds the value 0x18. Later at some point the system needs to be brought to user mode (ie CS=0x20 and DS=0x28). At which point is this done? Thanks for all help and advice Gop gopan wrote: > > Hi all, > Where can I find the code l...

Web resources about - Printer Driver: Kernel Mode or User Mode - comp.win.nt.kernel-mode

3D Printer - Flickr - Photo Sharing!

9to5Toys Lunch Break: Brother Laser Printer $45, 9′ MFi Lightning Cable $6, iPhone 6/s Plus Leather Folio ...
... Twitter , RSS Feed , Facebook , Google+ and Safari push notifications . TODAY’S CAN’T MISS DEALS: Daily Deals: Brother Monochrome Laser Printer ...

Doro PDF printer adds color conversion, page rotation controls
Lightweight virtual PDF printer Doro has been updated with new color conversion and page rotation settings. If the default "UseDeviceIndependentColor" ...

This incredible machine is essentially a pancake printer — and it makes any design you want
Students at Olin College of Engineering in Massachusetts have come up with a machine that will make all of your breakfast dreams come true, as ...

Your printer went on a shopping spree while you were reading this
The first devices using Amazon's Dash Replenishment program can now begin reordering their own supplies.