Windows 7 TCP/IP slower than Windows Vista ?

Hi,

We have an interesting observation. We noticed that the network
throughput on Windows 7 is lower than that of Windows Vista when some
graphical activity is going on.

We have a setup where 3 PCs running Windows 7, Windows Vista and
Windows XP resp. are connected to a Ethernet HUB. The Windows XP PC
generates some network traffic which is captured on both Windows 7 and
Windows Vista PCs using Wireshark network capture tool.
The configurations of all 3 PCs (motherboard, RAM etc) are identical.

We observed that intermittenetly the packets are received with a delay
on Win 7 pc, while same packets were recevied without any delay on the
Vista pc !

We then modified the PCI-ethernet driver (it is our product, WHQL
certified) to print the time gap between last received and current
packet, just before indicating it up to protocol layer. These
timestamps (relatively) are matching between Win7 and Vista PCs,
however application (Wireshark) on Win7 is getting some of them with a
delay!
We then checked the same case with usb-ethernet (again our product)
driver to find the same result.
The results are same if we use XP instead of Vista.

Note that this happens only when some graphical activity is going on,
like plotting a graph or simply some debug print messages scrolling.
Does it mean that in Windows 7 more priority is there to graphics
operations at the cost of network performance? Has anybody else
observed this?

We want to achieve optimum network performance on Win 7. Are there any
options available like tuning of any graphics parameters or disabling
any features?

Regards,
Suresh

0
suresh
1/21/2010 2:40:58 PM
comp.win.nt.kernel-mode 2877 articles. 0 followers. mat.hieu (4) is leader. Post Follow

> We observed that intermittenetly the packets are received with a delay
> on Win 7 pc

Delay does not mean "lower performance".

What "performance" is lower? bandwidth? RTT? can you measure both?

The difference can be due to new video card driver using another =
interrupt on Win7, or a similar thing.

--=20
Maxim S. Shatskih
Windows DDK MVP
maxim@storagecraft.com
http://www.storagecraft.com

0
Maxim
1/21/2010 3:31:01 PM
Thanks Maxim. The effect in clearly on both.
It seems that the network traffis is normal for around 300 to 350 ms,
during which the gap between packet received at NIC driver and it seen
by protocol analyzer/application layer is 2 microseconds. Then
suddenly for one packet this gap becomes around 15 ms. This pattern
continues like this.
Over a period of time this hampers real time traffic as well as
overall bandwidth on Win 7 PC.

The problem is not limited to one PC only. We used 3 different PCs for
Win , two of them 32-bit and one 64-bit. Even when we swap Win 7 with
Vista PC and the operating systems on them, the problem remains.
We also tried with Standard VGA driver in place of vendor supplied
drivers. The graphical activity need not be very intensive. Just
keeping Wireshark on with captured packets being continuously updated
in its GUI will do.

Regards,
Suresh

On Jan 21, 8:31=A0pm, "Maxim S. Shatskih"
<ma...@storagecraft.com.no.spam> wrote:
> > We observed that intermittenetly the packets are received with a delay
> > on Win 7 pc
>
> Delay does not mean "lower performance".
>
> What "performance" is lower? bandwidth? RTT? can you measure both?
>
> The difference can be due to new video card driver using another interrup=
t on Win7, or a similar thing.

> --
> Maxim S. Shatskih
> Windows DDK MVP
> ma...@storagecraft.comhttp://www.storagecraft.com

0
suresh
1/22/2010 5:31:19 AM
The issue is solved ! There is a registry parameter
"NetworkThrottlingIndex" as mentioned in this article :
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/948066
After turning it off the issue got resolved.

Regards,
Suresh

On Jan 22, 10:31=A0am, suresh <patil_suresh...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Thanks Maxim. The effect in clearly on both.
> It seems that the network traffis is normal for around 300 to 350 ms,
> during which the gap between packet received at NIC driver and it seen
> by protocol analyzer/application layer is 2 microseconds. Then
> suddenly for one packet this gap becomes around 15 ms. This pattern
> continues like this.
> Over a period of time this hampers real time traffic as well as
> overall bandwidth on Win 7 PC.
>
> The problem is not limited to one PC only. We used 3 different PCs for
> Win , two of them 32-bit and one 64-bit. Even when we swap Win 7 with
> Vista PC and the operating systems on them, the problem remains.
> We also tried with Standard VGA driver in place of vendor supplied
> drivers. The graphical activity need not be very intensive. Just
> keeping Wireshark on with captured packets being continuously updated
> in its GUI will do.
>
> Regards,
> Suresh
>
> On Jan 21, 8:31=A0pm, "Maxim S. Shatskih"
>

> <ma...@storagecraft.com.no.spam> wrote:
> > > We observed that intermittenetly the packets are received with a dela=
> > > on Win 7 pc
>
> > Delay does not mean "lower performance".
>
> > What "performance" is lower? bandwidth? RTT? can you measure both?
>
> > The difference can be due to new video card driver using another interr=
upt on Win7, or a similar thing.

> > --
> > Maxim S. Shatskih
> > Windows DDK MVP
> > ma...@storagecraft.comhttp://www.storagecraft.com- Hide quoted text -

suresh

Windows 7, another Windows Vista?
I remember the reviews of Vista being very optimistic, and the geek culture and first adopters being over the ears about it (here in csma, for example), but when released it really sunk into the mud when gamers, business and avergae users wouldn't touch it with a stick and forced both Microsoft and OEMs to offer a downgrade option to Windows XP. I am curious what has changed in Windows 7 that is different in how Vista screwed these people over. How is it winning people back? I haven't tried Windows 7 at all, so I have no idea, but perhaps someone here can shed a light on why W...

WANTED: DELL WINDOWS 7 PRO Disks, DELL WINDOWS XP PRO & VISTA BUSINESS
WANTED: DELL WINDOWS 7 PRO Disks, DELL WINDOWS XP PRO & VISTA BUSINESS - We are buying in large quantities We are wanting to buy large quantities of Dell Windows 7 Pro Disks. We are also looking to buy Dell Windows XP Pro and possibly some Vista Business as well. We also buy Microsoft, Dell, HP and other Office software packages 2000, 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012 all versions. We like to buy in quantity. We also buy the below. We buy old and new versions of Microsoft Office, Server, Windows & others. Adobe Acrobat 9 and X and others titles. Symantec Norton Antivirus, NIS a...

[...]

[News] [Rival] Windows Vista Sales + Windows Vista Upgrades = Windows XP
Vista downgrading: What are your rights? ,----[ Quote ] | Talk about a catch 22. Did you know that in order to be allowed to downgrade | Vista to XP on a new computer, Microsoft expects you to have one of the more | expensive editions of Windows Vista that most OEMs don’t even put on their | machines. It’s true. Have a look at this official Microsoft one-sheet | explaining the intricacies of downgrading from Vista that’s come bundled with | a new PC. | | You’d have to add $180 to the price of a Dell Inspiron 530 in order to have | the right to use XP instead of Vista. `---- http...

Matlab version for Windows Vista and Windows 7
Which version of the Matlab is installable in Vista environment? Win7 environment? Thanks for the info in advance. Lee CC "CC Lee" <e2718282@gmail.com> wrote in message news:i195np$9sk$1@fred.mathworks.com... > Which version of the Matlab is installable in Vista environment? Win7 > environment? > > Thanks for the info in advance. The list of system requirements for versions of MATLAB as far back as release R11 is available on the support website in the Installation, Activation, and Startup box: http://www.mathworks.com/support/ -- Steve Lord slord...

Rexx failure from windows vista to windows 7
Hello I recently bought a pc running windows7 I copied my rexx scripts from a machine running windows vista I have scripts to logon to a few sites but have run into problems. My script contains the following instuction passing my name myIE~document~getElementById("name")~Value = nam I receive the following error in Windows 7 error 97 running C:\users.....rex line 31 Object method not found Error 97.1: Object "The Nil object" does not understand message "Value=" ...

Windows 7 is really Windows NT.3
Ignoring the DOS-based Windows versions, the first available version of NT was numbered NT 3.x, so it was really NT 1.x NT 4.x gave it essentiall the same UI as Windows 95. NT 5.0x was given the marketing name Windows 2000 and then later became Windows XP (5.1x) Vista was NT 6.x and to show you how different Windows 7 is from Vista, it only got to be NT 6.01. There you go trolls: you're using the third point release of Windows NT! -- "The iPhone doesn't have a speaker phone" -- "I checked very carefully" -- "I checked Apple's web pa...

how to check TCP version on windows XP and windows 7
Hello. I like to know how to check the TCP version on Windows. best regards Wonjun, Choi ...

Windows 7 = Windows Vista = Piece of Sh*t
http://www.infoworld.com/d/windows/free-windows-7-end-early-shutdowns-685 Want to know why Microsoft is ready to release Windows 7 so soon after the release of Vista? BECAUSE THEY'RE THE SAME THING! And it sucks just as bad as Vista, maybe an infitesemal amount less, but it's close. Windows 7, I HATE IT ALREADY!!! ...

Some Arabic letters fail in Windows Vista & Windows 7
My observation refers to Windows Vista and Windows 7, but not to other operating systems. The Urdu letter U+06BB =DA=BB=DA=BB=DA=BB does not join in Courier New. http://www.alanflavell.org.uk/unicode/unidata06.html#x06BB The Pashto letter U+06D0 =DB=90=DB=90=DB=90 does not join in Courier New and not in Times New Roman. http://www.alanflavell.org.uk/unicode/unidata06.html#x06D0 The display of both letters in Arial and Tahoma is correct. Choose Arial or Tahoma or Times New Roman as your Western Latin typeface in your browser. I'm aski...

[News] [Rival] Windows 7 Just Another Windows Vista+

Figures and GUI control slower in Windows 7 than in Windows Xp
Hello everyon, I have Matlab 2010a installed under the windows 7 environment. I wrote recently a small MATLAB GUI program. It works very well. But one thing I noticed is that generally the GUI control and GUI reaction, like pressing a button to invoke some changes within the GUI, are remarkably slower than running in Windows Xp on another notebook I have. Both computers' hardware performance are similar and I don't think this the reason is why the same program works so differently. Also I have a problem, If I call the function "figure" to create a new figure, the figu...

Web resources about - Windows 7 TCP/IP slower than Windows Vista ? - comp.win.nt.kernel-mode

The Windows Blog

Microsoft’s Windows Phone vice president Joe Belfiore explains why he uses an iPhone …
... is not using the device you might expect them to . Latest casualty of the telltale tag is Joe Belfiore , the Microsoft VP who fronts the Windows ...

Windows 10 Mobile Has A Cellular Data Eating Bug
Although Windows 10 has got off to a great start by pretty much any metric, Microsoft’s mobile version of Windows 10 has had a pretty bumpy road. ...

Cardinals' window of opportunity won't be open long
When the Cardinals finally move past the sting of Saturday's 49-15 loss at Carolina, they will realize how much they achieved this season.

New Windows 10 preview build has a very different build number, but not much else
A new Windows 10 insider version has been released . The new build doesn't bring much that you'll notice. For the past few months, Microsoft ...

VAIO unveils beautiful business-focused 'Z' and 'S' Windows 10 laptops
... as many people loved Sony's laptops. Sure, they were largely expensive, but they were also arguably the closest thing to Apple that Windows ...

Microsoft’s Windows Phone VP caught tweeting from an iPhone
... Joe Belfiore. Currently the company's Corporate VP of Operating Systems, Belfiore is primarily known for heading up the company's Windows Phone ...

The man in charge of Windows design explains why it doesn't matter that he uses an iPhone
... His official title is "Corporate Vice President, Operating Systems Group" which, broadly, means he is in charge of the design of Windows, specifically ...