Changing the Change File Feature.

Is there a way to turn off the feature in Windows XP Home where, when a
shortcut can't find its target file, it gets changed to point to a
similarly-named file in another directory?

Thanks.

0
nospam52 (1566)
6/24/2005 3:39:51 PM
comp.windows.misc 3201 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

It does not get changed automatically.

Just Click NO!

--
Hope this helps.  Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:bPVue.8700$NX4.8680@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net,
Neil <nospam@nospam.net> hunted and pecked:
> Is there a way to turn off the feature in Windows XP Home where, when a
> shortcut can't find its target file, it gets changed to point to a
> similarly-named file in another directory?
>
> Thanks.

value of sum -l of a file changes while file isn't changed, hardware problem?
Hi all, here is a problem at a client's coumputer: each time sum -l is called, the return value differs from the one before: (the files update.cpio update.cpio.ver_neu are not changed) ================================================== /u1 > sum -r update.cpio update.cpio.ver_neu 63574 39330 update.cpio 64898 39330 update.cpio.ver_neu /u1 > sum -r update.cpio update.cpio.ver_neu 42945 39330 update.cpio 43030 39330 update.cpio.ver_neu /u1 > sum -r update.cpio update.cpio.ver_neu 46529 39330 update.cpio 05930 39330 update.cpio.ver_neu /u1 > sum -l update.cpio update.cp...

What setting I need to change in Visual Studio C++ v8 to run the same file that we have changed into .c after executing it as an .m file
??? ??? Jan ...

Changing file permission in windows
How to change file permissions using C language in windows? i.e. if the file has read only permission , how to take it out. santosh opined: > How to change file permissions using C language in windows? > i.e. if the file has read only permission , how to take it out. You can't do it using only standard C features. Best ask in one of the Windows groups. -- "Calling EMACS an editor is like calling the Earth a hunk of dirt." -- Chris DiBona on Dirt (Open Sources, 1999 O'Reilly and Associates) <http://clc-wiki.net/wiki/Introduction_to_comp.lang.c> > You...

how to change the change defaults
hi friends, it might be a stupid question to state. but i really need to know while programming, to change the defaults like changing the engineering notation of a real quantity i.e. fraction values or change the fix parameters to denote real value if our calculations involve the values as low as 0.000000001 and as high as 10000000. thanks hemu bisht ...

DST to change or not to change?
Should the clocks be changed twice a year or not? (not that we have much say in the matter) Some think it saves lives by avoiding traffic accidents and note the advantages of a coordinated timekeeping system for trade. http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20050811.wdaylight0810/BNStory/National Since most of Canada is between north latitude 49 deg to 90 deg, and the days and nights are longer the further north you go, the arguments for saving daylight seem to be overwhelmed by the larger natural changes. OTOH DST is not needed at smaller latitudes in the tropics. ...

Changing file metadata on Windows XP
Files on XP have metadata that can be accessed and changed from Explorer (Comments, Author, etc.). How can I change this programmatically? All I've come across was FileVersionInfo, which isn't quite what I need. I assume there must be some way that programs can access and change this information. Thanks, Bill Bill Atkins wrote: > Files on XP have metadata that can be accessed and changed from > Explorer (Comments, Author, etc.). > > How can I change this programmatically? IPropertyStorage ...

Feature request : changing sig files by shortcut
I've just discovered a trick I'd like to be able to do : change the signature file in pine without actually opening and connecting, and going through all nine yards of that. I was using the feature of commanding "pine btth" from the command line, to send a message to btth and quit again -- which is a lot more convenient than the nine yards, when pine is closed and that's all you want to do; my thanks to the pinemasters for it! It would be nice to get to just the choice of sig file (of which I have dozens) when I discover, as I just did, that the default is out of date ...

changing a syntax file on windows gnu emacs
Hi, I have a syntax file for a programming language that I am learning (Nemerle) Erlang is distributed with this file, but it has some behaviour which I don't like. Nemerle is a C-syntax language, and the mode puts parameters to a method, that are on different lines, in the first column after the opening parenthesis. Couple this with the functional aspect of the language (where i often pass lamdas as in-line parameters) and the horizontal screen-usage grows much more quickly than is convenient. What should I look for if I try to change this behaviour in the emacs mode? Is there maybe s...

Re: Programatically changing file permissions (Windows)
On Sun, 21 May 2006 07:21:34 -0400, Scott Bass <sas_l_739@YAHOO.COM.AU> wrote: >Hi, > >1. Is it possible to have SAS create a separate .lst file for each BY >value? The procedure is PROC REPORT. My first thought was the NEWFILE= option, but the 9.1.3 documentation does not indicate support for that in the ODS LISTING statement. > >2. Is it possible to programatically change the file permissions on a >file? For example, the above process might create files abc.lst and >def.lst. I need to change the file permissions such that userid abc owns >abc.lst and userid def owns def.lst. No one else should be able to read >the file. > >Thanks, >Scott ...

Windows 8 Changes Host File Blocking
<http://tech.slashdot.org/story/12/08/19/1923210/windows-8-changes-host-file-blocking> <quote> "Windows 8 has been confirmed to not only ignore, but also modify the hosts file. As soon as a website that should be blocked is accessed, the corresponding entry in the hosts file is removed, even if the hosts file is read-only. The hosts file is a popular, cross-platform way of blocking access to certain domains, such as ad-serving websites." </quote> -- I'm a born-again atheist. -Gore Vidal After swilling some grog, Hardon belched this bit o' wisdom: > <http://tech.slashdot.org/story/12/08/19/1923210/windows-8-changes-host-file-blocking> > > <quote> > "Windows 8 has been confirmed to not only ignore, but also modify the > hosts file. As soon as a website that should be blocked is accessed, > the corresponding entry in the hosts file is removed, even if the > hosts file is read-only. The hosts file is a popular, cross-platform > way of blocking access to certain domains, such as ad-serving > websites." > </quote> http://www.ghacks.net/2012/08/19/you-cant-block-facebook-using-windows-8s-hosts-file/ Update: Tom just pointed out that turning off Windows Defender, which basically is Microsoft Security Essentials, in Windows 8 will resolve the issue. It appears that the program has been designed to protect some hosts from being added to the...

Eudora 6.1 changed my file viewer and I can't change it back.
I just installed ver6.1, and the first time I clicked on an attachment, the MS Photo & Fax Viewer was launched to view the attachment. In Tools|Options I have checked "Use MS Viewer", but I was under the impression that this was necessary only to view styled text within a message. I have looked everywhere in Options to see where the choice of an external graphics viewer can be chosen but I can't find anything. Can someone point me in the right direction? (I've been using prior versions of Eudora for so long--and its worked so well in concert with CompuPic--that I don't remember how I set it up originally.) I feared that somehow file associations had been changed, but I checked all the JPG variants and they are still associated with CompuPic. However, if I double-click a jpg file in Windows Explorer, the Photo & Fax Viewer launches from there too. Have any other 6.1 users run into a situation like this? And, if so, is there a "fix"? Thanks in advance. Carl Robert On Thu, 13 May 2004 11:11:23 GMT, sanityclaws@mindspring.com wrote: >I just installed ver6.1, and the first time I clicked on an attachment, the >MS Photo & Fax Viewer was launched to view the attachment. In Tools|Options >I have checked "Use MS Viewer", but I was under the impression that this was >necessary only to view styled text within a message. > >I have looked everywhere in Options to see where t...

Toad issue related to network file servers changes...Worked fine before the changes...Please advice.
I have installed Toad Version 3.1.0.325, after the IT team changed some network file servers, I started getting the following errors: ( and I did de-install and re-install to see if that will fix it, but that did not work) AH, and it did work before the network changes!!!! System.IO.IOException Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password. Stack Trace: at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath) at System.IO.Directory.InternalCreateDirectory(String fullPath, String path, DirectorySecurity dirSecurity) at System.IO.Directory.CreateDirectory(String pat...

how to change the change defaults #2
hi friends, it might be a stupid question to state. but i really need to know while programming, to change the defaults like changing the engineering notation of a real quantity i.e. fraction values or change the fix parameters to denote real value if our calculations involve the values as low as 0.000000001 and as high as 10000000. thanks hemu bisht ...

icon changes with change of extension
when we change the extension of a file in windows, its icon also changes..... how does windows do tht. in my application i require a similar approach. i want the icon to be dependent on the file extension not on the attributes of the file. i have gone trough the registry but things are not very clear. Windows has listed all the file extensions avaliable there, but there is no general way to extract icons for those extension... kindly help Windows displays the icon of the program associated with the file, so if you change a file from ".doc" to ".txt" then the...

Change new window from opening window
I have opened a new window and now want to change something in the newly opened window. I am doing this....... <area href="javascript:tour('newwindow.htm','_blank','scrollbars=yes,resizable=1,width=780,height=550,top=0,left=0')" onclick="javascript:setTimeout('changenewone()', 800)" shape="rect" coords="9, 29, 44, 69"> <script type="text/javascript" src="id1.js"> function changenewone() { window.location.newemail1.HideContent('id1'); </script> I have named the new window &qu...

How to Manage the Change within the Change?
How can we manage change to software that is not completely tested? For example: For a fictitious name I will use "Big Company Software" (BCS) 1.01.00. Each month BCS goes through the following cycle: Evaluate and Accept Customer Requests Plan Design Develop Build Test User Test Deployment So for example in month 1 BCS 1.01.00 is released. On month 2 BCS 1.02.00 is released etc. Also for example the evaluation, plan, design and development takes place in the first 20 days of the month and test/ user test takes place in the last 10. But on month 2, on day 5 for...

Picture changes when record changes
Hi fellas, Im setting up a form in my Access project and I need to implement this rather special fucntion. This function is basically simple to understand but I really dont know how to create it. I need to implement a function that each time their is a record navigation a picture changes. Meaning = lets say I have a field with the word "football" in it - and their is a picture of a football next to it. Then I change record = changed into "rugby" and then their is a picture of a rugby ball next to it. How can I do that function? Cheers.. nickybon On 2 May 2006 09:24:39 -0700, nickybon@msn.com wrote: > Hi fellas, > > Im setting up a form in my Access project and I need to implement this > rather special fucntion. > > This function is basically simple to understand but I really dont know > how to create it. I need to implement a function that each time their > is a record navigation a picture changes. > > Meaning = lets say I have a field with the word "football" in it - and > their is a picture of a football next to it. Then I change record = > changed into "rugby" and then their is a picture of a rugby ball next > to it. > > How can I do that function? > > Cheers.. > nickybon Code the Form's Current event: If Me![FieldName]= "Football" Then Me!ImageName.Picture = "C:\PathToPicture\Football.jpg" Elseif Me![FieldName]="Rugby" Then M...

Copying File or Changing File Date
Hi, How do you change the file creation date of a file in windows using java. I tried the File.setLastModified() method and it is not doing what I hoped it would do which is to change the date time stamp displayed in windows explorer. I basically want to copy a file read via InputStream from a URL and written into a local file system using DataOutputStream. The problem is the file written using DataOutputStream is created ad hoc and creates a "new" file with the current datetime stamp. Is it possible to "copy" a file from a URL source or a server-side file system source ...

window change
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_000C_01C5D33F.05F6ADE0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I was trying to move some of the tools and lost the default window for = the sponsored mode program. The ad is now a window and floats. Is = there a way to return to the default settings? Thanks Rick ------=_NextPart_000_000C_01C5D33F.05F6ADE0 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> <HTML><HEAD> <META http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; = charset=3Diso-8859-1"> <META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2900.2722" name=3DGENERATOR> <STYLE></STYLE> </HEAD> <BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff> <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I was trying to move some of the tools = and lost the=20 default window for the sponsored mode program.&nbsp; The ad is now a = window and=20 floats.&nbsp; Is there a way to return to the default = settings?</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Thanks</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Rick</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT...

dvi viewer for windows which refreshes automatically upon file change?
Dear all, I am looking for a dvi viewer in windows which reloads the dvi file whenever the file changes on the disk. At the moment I am using yap; yap has the weird behaviour of reloading the file when it gains focus but not when the file changes. Since I have yap on a second monitor I do not want to switch focus to yap all the time. Thanks Ben >>>>> "benjamin" == benjamin friedrich <benjamin.friedrich> writes: benjamin> Dear all, I am looking for a dvi viewer in windows which reloads benjamin> the dvi file whenever the file changes on the disk. At the moment benjamin> I am using yap; yap has the weird behaviour of reloading the file benjamin> when it gains focus but not when the file changes. Since I have benjamin> yap on a second monitor I do not want to switch focus to yap all benjamin> the time. Uh? This should have been fixed. See MiKTeX 2.7: Release Notes at http://docs.miktex.org/2.7/relnotes/ I quote: "Yap now detects changes to the DVI file and immediately shows the new version." benjamin> Thanks Ben Not using windoze. I would like to know if this issue really has been fixed. Toto -- Contact information and PGP key at http://www.withouthat.org/~toto/contact.html Wanda: Oh, right! To call you stupid would be an insult to stupid people! I've known sheep who could outwit you. I've worn dresses with higher IQs, but you think you're an intelle...

Use Windows API within Access to change a file name
Does anyone have a bit of sample code to use with Access 2000 in order to use the Windows API to change an external file name or file name extension? For example, if I export a query to a text file (MyQueryData.txt) and want to change it to (MyQueryData03272005.duh). Thanks On 27 Mar 2005 14:00:04 -0800, "Rick" <richard.overturf@att.net> wrote: >Does anyone have a bit of sample code to use with Access 2000 in order >to use the Windows API to change an external file name or file name >extension? For example, if I export a query to a text file >(MyQueryData.txt) and want to change it to (MyQueryData03272005.duh). > >Thanks You can use the API if you want, and you might want to - but you don't have to. You can also use the Name statement in VBA. You have to hunt deeply to find it in the help which is why many of us don't know it exists. Name <oldpathname> As <newpathname> Thanks Steve. That's all there is to it? Just one line of code? On 28 Mar 2005 07:12:23 -0800, "Rick" <richard.overturf@att.net> wrote: >Thanks Steve. That's all there is to it? Just one line of code? Yup. ...

Re: Changes and frequency of changes
On Sat, 28 Apr 2007 15:08:15 -0400, mcolowasth@YAHOO.CO.UK wrote: >Hi, > >I observe variable x over time (from 1999-2005) for a large number of >firms, w. I have computed the change in variable x from one year to the >next. > >Now, I would like to identify whether variable x has changed from one year >to the next for each firm as well as how often it changed for each firm(in >some cases I expect no change in this variable i.e. 0). > >Any suggestions on how to do this in sas? > >Thanks Generate test data, since original poster did not provide it: data observed; do firm = 'a', 'b'; do year = 1999 to 2005; x = 2 + round(ranuni(135),0.3); output; end; end; run; Result: Obs firm year x 1 a 1999 2.9 2 a 2000 2.9 3 a 2001 2.9 4 a 2002 2.0 5 a 2003 2.3 6 a 2004 2.9 7 a 2005 2.3 8 b 1999 2.9 9 b 2000 2.6 10 b 2001 2.9 11 b 2002 2.6 12 b 2003 2.6 13 b 2004 2.3 14 b 2005 2.0 Here is a solution with a couple of dorfmanic touches: data whether (keep = firm year x whether) howoften (keep = firm howoften) ; set observed; by firm; changed = not not dif(fuzz(x) ); if first.firm then howoften = 0; else do; ...

App to change file names beacause I violated windows restrict characters
I want to be able to copy files from OS 10.4 to a PC running XP. When I try it will not copy all because I have violated windows restrict characters? Is there a Mac application that can strip out or convert the file names so I can copy them over a network and get all of them to copy without an the error message and some files not being copied? ...

FAQ 5.2: How do I change one line in a file/delete a line in a file/insert a line in the middle of a file/append to the beginning of a file?
This message is one of several periodic postings to comp.lang.perl.misc intended to make it easier for perl programmers to find answers to common questions. The core of this message represents an excerpt from the documentation provided with Perl. -------------------------------------------------------------------- 5.2: How do I change one line in a file/delete a line in a file/insert a line in the middle of a file/append to the beginning of a file? Use the Tie::File module, which is included in the standard distribution since Perl 5.8.0. ------------------------------------------...

Web resources about - Changing the Change File Feature. - comp.windows.misc

Changing room - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A changing room , locker room , dressing room (usually in a sports, theater or staff context) or changeroom (regional use) is a room or area ...

Beyond Timeline: The Changing Face Of Facebook Ads
Despite the hype, timeline may not be the most exciting, or important change coming on March 30. Expanded advertising opportunities may unlock ...

Robert Scoble - Micromedia, how it's changing what we blog - Facebook
Jeremiah Owyang wrote an interesting piece about micromedia and how it's changing what we do on blogs and how we distribute media (er, ideas, ...

8 Ways the Changing Facebook Home Page Will Affect Application Virality
For developers who live and die by the changes Facebook makes to the way information flows through the service, every little Facebook tweak has ...

Changing Lanes (@chginglanes) on Twitter

Changing the way business decisions are made
We believe that social data has unlimited value, and near limitless application. Today, we’re taking an important step toward unleashing this ...

The Right and Wrong Reasons for Changing Jobs
... your profile is a clue to the folks at LinkedIn that you’re thinking of switching jobs, so don’t be The Right and Wrong Reasons for Changing ...

We're Changing Our Name (Back) to Stack Overflow
We are Stack Overflow. You may know us from such popular websites as Stack Overflow Q&A, Stack Overflow Careers, The Stack Exchange Q&A Network, ...

The Tao of Twitter: Changing your life and business 140 characters at a time - Amazon
It's time to take the mystery out of Twitter. Twitter may be the most powerful business and personal networking platform ever created but it ...

App Store - Voices 2 ~ fun voice changing!
Read reviews, get customer ratings, see screenshots, and learn more about Voices 2 ~ fun voice changing! on the App Store. Download Voices 2 ...