computer crash, need help

Hi All,

I have experienced a few crashes recently where during an operation,
downloading from newsgroups or rendering a 3d image my laptop crashes. One
minute its working fine then I hear a little hard drive noise then the
laptop switches itself off, and I have to power on about 20 times before the
computer verifies the ram and boots up. I've owned this laptop for over a
year and hove only recently been experiencing this problem, in the last 2
weeks or so, I am using the same software I always had, newsbin pro 4.1 for
downloading and autocad, 3d max and architectural desktop for rendering and
modelling. My laptop spec is pentium 4 2.6ghz, 1gb RAM, 64mb ati mobility
radeon 7500 integrated graphics card, running Windows XP Pro SP1 plus all
the usual.
Any help with this problem would be greatly appreciated, this is really
starting to piss me off, I can't tell what the problem is, my best
assumption is the programs use too much RAM then the laptop cuts out,
because of the problem it has when rebooting after this happens when it
can't verify the RAM but then why the hell would it do that? I have 1GB RAM
and I'm not doing anything different than normal. The first time this
happened I reformatted and reinstalled everything hoping that it would sort
it, but it didn't. I was hoping to download a program called RAM Rocket for
managing and defragging my RAM but maybe I don't need it, plus it isn't
free.

Thanks for any help I do receive on this problem, if you want to know more
please e-mail personally, but bear in mind that when it comes to the
workings of a pc I really don't know much so I may not give good answers.

kind regards
Mark

0
info6296 (4)
4/24/2004 8:38:36 PM
comp.windows.misc 3201 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

"Remo-Shiva" <info@areyoufedup.com> wrote in message news:<sfAic.4420$JE1.1169@pathologist.blueyonder.net>...
> Hi All,
>
> I have experienced a few crashes recently where during an operation,
> downloading from newsgroups or rendering a 3d image my laptop crashes. One
> minute its working fine then I hear a little hard drive noise then the
> laptop switches itself off, and I have to power on about 20 times before the
> computer verifies the ram and boots up. I've owned this laptop for over a
> year and hove only recently been experiencing this problem, in the last 2
> weeks or so, I am using the same software I always had, newsbin pro 4.1 for
> downloading and autocad, 3d max and architectural desktop for rendering and
> modelling. My laptop spec is pentium 4 2.6ghz, 1gb RAM, 64mb ati mobility
> radeon 7500 integrated graphics card, running Windows XP Pro SP1 plus all
> the usual.
> Any help with this problem would be greatly appreciated, this is really
> starting to piss me off, I can't tell what the problem is, my best
> assumption is the programs use too much RAM then the laptop cuts out,
> because of the problem it has when rebooting after this happens when it
> can't verify the RAM but then why the hell would it do that? I have 1GB RAM

I'm no expert, but as nobody has responded, can suggest a couple of
things. There are several RAM utilities that are freeware that work
well in restoring your usable RAM, such as MemCleaner, etc. At 1GB you
should have enough, but sometimes it gets bottled up with program use,
especial ones like CAD.

Of course, sometimes some of the RAM goes bad. When you boot up, does
it do a RAM check? Watch to see if it is all OK. You can download a
free utility called Belarc Advisor that is great in telling everything
about your computer.

These kinds of crashes are really a pain, as can be caused by so many
things.
Do you run Scandisk regularly? You should also defrag your HDD often
too, but that probably isn't the problem. There is another good free
utility called Registry Healer that helps a lot in keeping your
Registry in good health, especially if you've deleted or uninstalled a
lot of programs.

If worst comes to worst you may have to take it to a computer place to
get it checked out. Hope somebody more expert than I will respond with
a idea or two. Good luck.

Need help after computer crash
My computer recently crashed, and I sent it to Best Buy Geek Squad for recovery. I did not ask them to recover my programs or data because I already have original disks for programs and backups for data. Ironically, I cannot find the paid disk for Eudora, but I do have a copy of the download for Eudora 7, and I have my registration number. I kept copies of all the *.toc and *.mbx files. I copied them into the same location where I found the same type of files after I installed Eudora 7. (going through the help|about file and clicking on the path at the bottom of the screen),...

AOL Support | Windows Help and Support | Computer Support | Microsoft Technical Support | Online Computer Help |
World leading Online Computer Support with Live-Technician on 1-888-414-5815 and get Online Technical Support, Online Computer Help, Dell and HP Tech Support, Windows Support, Computer Experts, XP Vista and Windows 7 support, Email and Outlook Support, 24x7 tech support, Tech support, Digital camera, On Phone Computer Support by Microsoft Certified Technicians. http://www.live-technician.com ...

[...]

Need help with help need
Friends and wormbots: I am looking for some intrepid souls to try out and comment on a perl script I wrote. (What, perl in SAS-L and it's not David Cassell ?) The script takes the SAS help files apart and does some analysis (orphans, linkrot and duplicates) and inserts back links. What do back links do ? It ensures every page in the help system has a link to every page that links to it. (Actually only the the subset of the help system represented by the modules you choose to play with [there are over 140 help modules]) 1,000 lines of perl that sprouted out of a two line seed (or should...

Son's computer crash, need some YD help-he leaves in 5 hours.
All, my son's apple G4 HD crashed we got a new HD 80Gig WD, the Yellow Dog install went ok but on reboot the screen flashes a ? and apple logo and I can do nothing else. I am redoing the install again, thinking I missed something. What should I look for here? On Sat, 09 Aug 2008, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux.setup, in article <op.ufmfnspg03errv@acer-47253a5cc0.hsd1.ct.comcast.net>, GrailKing wrote: >All, my son's apple G4 HD crashed we got a new HD 80Gig WD, the Yellow >Dog install went ok but on reboot the screen flashes a ? and apple logo >...

Help: windows 2000 and joystick need help
Hello guys, I have a SoudBlaster Live 5.1 correctly configured under windows 2000 professional service pack 3. I have a analog joystick connected to the gameport of the sound card. The joystick is a simple, generic, un-branded, 2 axis with 2 buttons. I open the control panel, joystick and I choose 2 axis - 2 buttons joystick. Windows asks me the driver for this input device. Strange that windows ME doesn't ask for the driver: it accepts the periferal and all works. With the joystick there wasn't a disk with the driver... so.. my problem is.. which driver I have to give to windows 200...

I have a windows me laptop and I need to install windows 95. help please!
Hello, I have a running windows me laptop that I am testing with and need to be able to install 95. Is there a way I can do this? Yes, you can erase the disk (fdisk), and then do a clean install of 95. I'm pretty sure that would be the best way. Keep in mind that you are going backwards in operating systems, so you will loose data. I hope this helps. Peace!!! ...

HELP: need to customize the size of the window.open window for different links
Hi - thanks for reading this out there! I'll be quick about it: I've got this row of images (in the end there will be more rows of pics as well). When a user clicks on the image, I want a new window to open with a larger version of the image. I want that new window to be customized to the size of the new larger image. Also, when users go back to see other images in their larger size, I want the new window (assuming they never closed the first one) to come back to the front. I've only gotten as far as getting the larger images to open in a new window at a set size in the functi...

need to compute this problem having problems with how to start this problem help need urgently
Let   U[0; 2theta] be a uniform random variable from the interval [0; 2theta] and let A  Exp(1) be exponentially distributed with mean 1. Assume  and A independent. Compute the mean mX(t) =E[X(t)] and autocorrelation RX(s; t) = E[X(s)X(t)] of the phase-shifted sinusoid.X(t) = A*  cos(t +theta ): State also if X(t) is Wide Sense Stationary (WSS). plot 10 realisations of X(t) plotR(s-t,0)as a function of s-t "pramod kumar" <pramod.kilu@gmail.com> wrote in message <jpapso$44b$1@newscl01ah.mathworks.com>... > Let   U[0; 2theta] be a uniform random variable from the interval [0; 2theta] and let A  Exp(1) be exponentially distributed with mean 1. Assume  and A independent. Compute the mean mX(t) =E[X(t)] and autocorrelation RX(s; t) = E[X(s)X(t)] of the phase-shifted sinusoid.X(t) = A*  cos(t +theta ): > State also if X(t) is Wide Sense Stationary (WSS). > plot 10 realisations of X(t) > plotR(s-t,0)as a function of s-t So what have you tried? If you have not tried anything, this is a suggestion that you were not paying attention in class. Make an effort. John "pramod kumar" <pramod.kilu@gmail.com> wrote in message <jpapso$44b$1@newscl01ah.mathworks.com>... > Let   U[0; 2theta] be a uniform random variable from the interval [0; 2theta] and let A  Exp(1) be exponentially distributed with mean 1. Assume  and A independent. Compute the mean mX(t) =E[X(t)] and autocorrelation RX(s; t) = E[X(s)X(t)]...

Need Computer Help?
PC Dude computer Help and Discussion forums offer professional help for all your computer problems. Check us out at http://pcdude.proboards86.com ...

need help with windows
Hello, I need do the following on win98 - xp/2003: 1: exe's , taken care of with start kit or activetcl are there any others. I think I can wrap dlls into the exe, if I cannot what is a good install maker program? 2: http, taken care of with tcllib 3: https, no clue yet, is there a libcurl for tcl binary anywhere I do not have a C compoler on my windows box 4: LDAP, what is the prefered lib to use on win32? I saw a wrapper for netscapes ldap dll or should I use something else? my preference would be to use libcurl with ldap and ssl support. Sorry for the sannoying questions but google did not quite do it this time and I have a 2-3 week window to get it done. I need to get my windows ignorance worked on. Thanks marc On Sat, 20 Dec 2003, Marc Spitzer wrote: > 2: http, taken care of with tcllib > 3: https, no clue yet, is there a libcurl for tcl binary anywhere > I do not have a C compoler on my windows box http://tls.sourceforge.net has Windows binaries of the tls package, which enables the http package to do https. Michael "Michael A. Cleverly" <michael@cleverly.com> writes: > On Sat, 20 Dec 2003, Marc Spitzer wrote: > > > 2: http, taken care of with tcllib > > 3: https, no clue yet, is there a libcurl for tcl binary anywhere > > I do not have a C compoler on my windows box > > http://tls.sourceforge.net has Windows binaries of the tls package, which > enables the http pac...

Help! Window user needs help installing ruby 1.9 on mac
I just purchased a new macbook pro and would like to install ruby 1.9, but I'm having trouble installing, can someone please provide the easiest steps to install ruby 1.9 please? Thanks -- Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/. [Note: parts of this message were removed to make it a legal post.] Install macports. Then: sudo port install ruby19 Should do it. Ben On Sat, Apr 4, 2009 at 6:55 AM, Zayd Connor <devrubygem@gmail.com> wrote: > I just purchased a new macbook pro and would like to install ruby 1.9, > but I'm having trouble installing, can someone please prov...

computer help needed
Still under constructution, and needs people to post please visit www.computerhelp247.net help with everything computer related, video, audio xp, 2000, vista and more, do you know your stuff? moderators needed prove yourself, see if your up to it, help others to fix their computer problems. The new help forum for all, visit www.computerhelp247.net computer help 24/7 wrote: >Still under constructution, .. What, your spell-checker? >..and needs people to post please visit >www.computerspam247.net >help with everything computer related, video, audio xp, 2000, vista and >...

Need Computer Help?
PC Dude computer Help and Discussion forums offer professional help for all your computer problems. Check us out at http://pcdude.proboards86.com On 28 Sep 2006 14:17:27 -0700, "Gary335" <gary335@gmail.com> wrote: >PC Dude computer Help and Discussion forums offer professional help for >all your computer problems. Check us out at >http://pcdude.proboards86.com Small potatoes sonny... A_C ...

Need Computer Help?
PC Dude computer Help and Discussion forums offer professional help for all your computer problems. Check us out at http://pcdude.proboards86.com ...

Need help with help
Running GIMP 2.6.7 on 32-bit Gentoo linux I know about RTFM, but clicking on "Help" is futile. Step 1) I get an error box that says... > help Messge > Could not open 'http://docs.gimp.org/2.6/en/gimp-help.xml' > for reading: Operation not supported > Perhaps you are missing GIO backends and need to install GVFS What is it talking about? Step 2) I open up that URL with Firefox 3.0.14 and I get a bunch of gibberish like,,, This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below. <gimp-help> <help-item id="gimp-main" ref="index.html" title="GNU Image Manipulation Program" parent=""/> <help-item id="preface" ref="preface.html" title="Preface" parent="gimp-main"/> <help-item id="gimp-team" ref="preface.html#gimp-team" title="1. GIMP User Manual Authors and Contributors" parent="preface"/> <help-item id="getting-started" ref="getting-started.html" title="I. Getting Started" parent="gimp-main"/> <help-item id="introduction" ref="introduction.html" title="1. Introduction" parent="getting-started"/> <help-item id="introduction-gimp" ref="introduction.html#introduction-gimp" title="1. Welcome to GIMP"...

Need help , My computer hangs
hi, my computer has got some problem , it hangs agian and again and monitor starts flickering, i think its problem in motherboard, i checked moniter with other system its fine. any Advise? please help ...

Help Needed By Computer Museum
Hello my name is John Keys and I'm the founder and Executive Director of the Houston Computer Museum and we need everyone's help in getting our doors back open again. Please visit our website at www.houstoncomputermuseum.org and read about our Just A Buck fund raiser we have going on right now. If you can send $1 or more it would be of great help. Thanks for reading this. John Keys We also have a wanted list for items needed for our various collections. Keys wrote: > > Hello my name is John Keys and I'm the founder and Executive Director of the >...

-Need help on a new computer...
-Hi there, I'm hoping some might be kind enough to help me out as I know nothing about computers anymore and would rather not do 20+ hours of research... What I do: Surf and play poker on-line: Not power intensive. What I would like to do: Play newer shoot'em up games: Very power intensive. While I like to play games I care far more about the game play and less about the graphics. I want to play on line against others so I need it to be smooth but I don't care about the graphics that have to do with ambience like reflections and how light and shadow is cast. I wo...

help with problems on computability needed!!
Hi all, I was wondering if anyone would be able to help me with the following problems. I'm really bad at these... that's why I have to retake this course on computational theory and complexity... I could use any help I can get! First question: Consider a table whose rows are labelled with TMs, whose columns are labelled with TM encodings, and where the entry at (Mi, <Mj>) contains a 1 if Mi accepts <Mj> in at most |<Mj>|+t steps, and a 0 otherwise. Use a diagonalization argument to show that for every t, there exists a language L which is decidable in general, but not decidable with lag t. We say that a language L is decidable with lag t if there exists a TM M deciding L, which also satifies the requirement that on every input w, M halts in at most |w| + t steps. This second question is more tricky, I think: Let M1,M2, . . . ,Mi, . . . be the list of all TMs in lexicographical order. For every positive integer k, define f(k) to be the index in the above list of the k-th TM M such that L(M) = NULL. Formally, f(k) = max{i : there exists J, which is a subset of {1 . . . i - 1} such that (|J| = k - 1 and for all j belonging to {1 . . . i - 1}, L(Mj) = NULL iff j belongs to J)} Notice that f is well defined for every k, since there are infinitely many TMs M with L(M) = NULL. For example, if L(M2) = L(M5) = NULL and L(M1),L(M3),L(M4) are not empty, then f(1) = 2 and f(2) = 5. Prove that f is not computable. I hope these aren't too difficult, alt...

Need some (Windows) crash therapy ?
http://www.ondmis.dk/flash/destroypc.htm -- http://haxor.dk +45 2685 5909 "Society is due to our needs, Government is due to our vices" - Tom Paine ...

Web resources about - computer crash, need help - comp.windows.misc

Computer Show

Computer's Go victory is a warning about the AI in our lives
Landmark event in artificial intelligence wasn't due to an increase in computing power, but a new way for computers to make decisions based on ...

Remarkable nanowires could let computers of the future grow their own chips
If you’re worried that artificial intelligence will take over the world now that computers are powerful enough to outsmart humans at incredibly ...

Accidentally Typing “.om” Instead of “.com” Puts Your Computer At Risk For Malware
We’ve all done it: typed too quickly and gone to Amazonco.m, Netfli.xcom, or countless other incorrect URLs. These goofs often lead to harmless ...

Students finally get their hands on the BBC's Micro:bit computer
The BBC has begun delivering its tiny Micro:bit programmable computers to students today, with every Year 7 in the UK due to receive theirs over ...

Don’t Forget Humans Created The Computer Program That Can Beat Humans At Go
Humankind is licking its wounds after its latest defeat at the “hands” of artificial intelligence. Over the past week, AlphaGo, a computer program ...

The First Tweet, Movie Screening, Sound Recording, And Computer Chip: This Week In Tech History
The First Tweet, Movie Screening, Sound Recording, And Computer Chip: This Week In Tech History

Tencent's security team wins global computer hacking contest
gbtimes Tencent's security team wins global computer hacking contest gbtimes Chinese internet giant Tencent's security team has won the 2016 ...